Status
Not open for further replies.
Who say the show even exists?
That what I was trying to say?😅
The fact that there's no need to stall the marriage plot most likely confirmed that there is no Lois and Clark series.

I'm up for that. I also like the idea of Peter Weller as Judge Dredd
After thinking about it for a while, I realized that Judge Dreed is actually the better franchise to misappropriately merchandise.

Think about it.
Judge Dreed has a cool outfit, cool gadgets, a cool motorcycle and cool adversaries.

Robocop drives a normal Police car.

Who do you think would make the better toyline?

Disney could do this with Professor Dreamfinder, Figment, and the Wizard.

How are Disney comics doing, still more popular in Europe than the U.S.?

You know what I wanna see outta Disney Europe is the original plot for W.I.T.C.H. being made by its original co-creators. Granted it might take PKNA to succeed as it did in OTL. Granted I wonder if it would still end up that big merchandizing craze as before or if that was all OTL Disney Marketing at that point. Even got a goddamn Manga outta it.

Disney could do this with Professor Dreamfinder, Figment, and the Wizard.
That is a good idea. A Dreamfinder comic by Marvel would be a hit among Disney fans as an alternative to the increasing darkness of the aptly named Dark Ages.

So… i just now realized that we’re at 478 pages out of 500. Should we celebrate or something?
Not yet. There's 22 more pages, but I think we'll get a Part II to this thread within a month or two with the current pace.

How are Disney comics doing, still more popular in Europe than the U.S.?
I think so, since the butterflies haven't affected that part of the comics industry, but I'm hoping for a greater collaboration between both sides of the Atlantic with the opening of Valencia and the exposure of European comics/art to Jim and the rest of the Quadrumvirate.

You know what I wanna see outta Disney Europe is the original plot for W.I.T.C.H. being made by its original co-creators. Granted it might take PKNA to succeed as it did in OTL. Granted I wonder if it would still end up that big merchandizing craze as before or if that was all OTL Disney Marketing at that point. Even got a goddamn Manga outta it.
W.I.T.C.H. and PKNA could blow up even more if Disney puts in more effort in international distribution post-Valencia, especially in the United States. There's also the possibility of animated adaptations of both series to further increase exposure, as I suggested with Paperinik (which might replace Darkwing Duck since they occupy similar roles).

That is a good idea. A Dreamfinder comic by Marvel would be a hit among Disney fans as an alternative to the increasing darkness of the aptly named Dark Ages.
And because it's geared towards kids it should be published under the Star Comics imprint and includes numerous cameos by Dr. Strange.
I think so, since the butterflies haven't affected that part of the comics industry, but I'm hoping for a greater collaboration between both sides of the Atlantic with the opening of Valencia and the exposure of European comics/art to Jim and the rest of the Quadrumvirate
Not quite true, with Marvel buying Harvey Comics their Star Comics imprint got a resurgence which probably allows Disney to reprint translated European Disney comics.

Thanks, all, great discussions, a lot to go through, so my apologies if I miss your question.

I just realized something, does this mean that Hot Shots was butterflied away?
No, it arrived on schedule.

Ok Mr. Eisner, you are a strange one.
You won't adapt Mask or MIB, but freaking Miracleman??

That's like the most dark Dark Age story out there! Watchmen looks harmless and campy compared to it!
Did I ever mention that I like irony?

So, there is some nuance here (and me trying to put myself in the mind of an early 1990s Film Exec), so here's the rough train of thought:

"OK, comics movies are doing well, but WB owns DC and Disney owns Marvel. what else is left?"

[is handed Miracleman, flips through it quickly]

"OK, so he's like Superman. I get it. Greenlight."

[is handed a copy of The Mask]

"WTF is this?!? Is this a screwball comedy or a slasher? This is psychotic!! How would you even market this? Hard Pass."

[is handed a copy of MiB]

"Wait, they drive a kid to suicide?!? Hard pass."

[is handed The Crow]

"Jeez, is everything dark and twisted anymore? THis is like something that Miramax would do. Hmmm...let' me think about that..."

[weeks later, is handed the screenplay for Miracleman]

"OMG this is dark! I thought that we were getting Superman here! Everything is so damned dark. Hmmm. Batman was dark and it was a big hit. Let me rethink that Crow thing a bit. I wonder if Raimi is available..."

Ironically if he and Katz had been on better terms then the two of them together might have seen the potential in both The Mask and MiB, but their feud is starting to undermine their jobs now.

I honestly can't imagine Tom Hanks playing a jerk
I take it you haven't seen some of his earlier stuff! And yea, he's not nearly the jerk that Murray is. He's sort of a likeable jerk from the start.

I'm predicting a Miracleman Family or The Crow Animated Series, like The Mask got IOTL. I think the first one could work, especially if Proyas keeps in the ending with the Miracleman Family and their Superhero allies taking over the world as a Benevolent Council of Technocratic Gods.
Makes sense.

Hilarious how even ITTL Eisner and Katzenberg are still having a fallout.
Too much alike in too many ways. Eventually they'd get under each other's skin.

Thats very interesting, but remember that the Addams films happened differently here without Sonnenfeld involved.
Sonnefeld was the second unit director and cinematographer for The Addams Family and is set to direct Addams Fam. Values.

Just a weird question, but what’s happening with Doctor Who right now?
NPH is still The Doctor and is playing well in the US with 7-12 year olds, but struggling in the UK and Commonwealth. Nelvana has two cartoons going. "Next Year" NPH's run will end.

Did Esiner but Eclipse and Calibur comics to get Miracleman and The Crow? If so there is a good chance both companies might survive any 90's comics crisis. Heck even inde incoming movie money might see them survive.
No, just licensed the IP.

AlsoI forgot to mention that Peter Weir doing Goundhog/Memorial Day intrigues me because of Truman Show, one of my all time favourite movies, so I can't wait to see how it goes.
As mentioned in the post it's a top-10 hit.

Finally binged through this entire time line. Such great work, and it really makes me wish I was in that other time line with all the movie differences, especially this Aladdin.
Welcome aboard, and glad to have you with us, @Missingnoleader!

Though I definitely am wondering if Shanghai Animation Film Studio is getting in on this Lotus Plan action too. Probably a good idea to send feelers to Disney given their own puppet departments and the onslaught of foreign animation leaving their traditional stuff in the dust.
I should probably look into them.

Big question: Can Liefeld draw feet ITTL?
ROFL, of all the various questions to come up about my delving into the Dark Age the first question is about Liefeld's feet. I love my readers, seriously!

I'll go with @nick_crenshaw82 here and say "not likely." The dark age just isn't the dark age without Liefeld's interesting takes on anatomy.

in one of the posts, there was a mention of a 1992 Lone Ranger movie directed by Chris Columbus. I wonder how that turned out?
Find out soon.

I don’t see how 2000AD could possibly have successfully sued Marvel, given that all of the ideas being used were commonplace in science fiction written decades before Judge Dredd first appeared. It would be like George Cukor suing Wise and Robbins over West Side Story ripping off Romeo and Juliet…
Neither did 2000AD's lawyers, hence why they instead partnered with Darkhorse to increase brand recognition in the US.

You mention relaunching Gold Key & Harvey characters but than focus on just the Gold Key characters. Here's a list of Harvey's superheroes:
Harvey One idea I had was to use Harvey's golden age characters in a storyline similar to Marvel: Lost Generation.
Yea with so many comics lines it was easy to overlook some of them. The Harvey kids' lines came up earlier as Star imprints, but didn't seem appropriate to this post. I can see The Phantom having a Dark Age retool, though.

I you want to PM me a paragraph with your ideas I can RETCON them into the post.

Worth looking into, thanks!

Other common questions:

"Is Disney restoring Times Square."

A: I'll think things over some more, but don't expect Disneytown Times Square any time soon. They've got a lot of construction going on already.

"What happens with [comics line/comics character/comics subplot] iTTL?"

A: I'm not planning to go into a deep dive on comics. A quick "30,000 foot view" post like the last one is what I will provide, but if anyone wants to guest-post they are invited to PM me.

If @Pyro, @nick_crenshaw82, and @Ogrebear want to chime in, please feel free to answer in my stead.

Thanks again for the continued support! 500 pages is coming up, isn't it? Wow, all thanks to all of your support!

Last edited:
I can see The Phantom having a Dark Age retool, though.
He's already using guns and maybe some more nuanced writer could point out and use the unfortunate colonialist implication that are just all over the place.😬

Maybe an unfriendly rivalry with Black Panther? Or maybe someone from the tribe that's guarding his jungle fortress realises that the Phantom isn't a divine ghost and swears to destroy him for misappropriating their culture and kind of enslaving them.

Anyhow, I think the problem with a Phantom retooling would be the complicated legal situation, since Harvey just licensed the character from Lee Falk themselves and don't own the rights completely.

"What happens with [comics line/comics character/comics subplot] iTTL?"

A: I'm not planning to go into a deep dive on comics. A quick "30,000 foot view" post like the last one is what I will provide, but if anyone wants to guest-post they are invited to PM me.
I have some short pitches for Reign of the Supermen and some potential follow up storylines involving Lex Luthor, but I doubt it would be enough for a full post.

Should I still PM you?

Last edited:
The 90's where one heck of a ride OTL for comic fans, and seems the same ITTL, even without the Marvel/Toy Biz Saga and bankruptcy or the bubble bursting.

I would soooo buy the Marvel 4000 line- all of it. That sort of legacy world building is always my thing- I bet the Juggernaut is still Cain Marko having lived through it all and still out there. Maestro Hulk also fits into it as well if Peter David still takes that direction.

Ha, no Deadpool. Good. I prefer Ambush Bug anyway.

The fate of Louis Lane and Superman's roaring rampage of revenge sound like a better story than the Doomsday 'epic' we got. Much closer to the core of the character, and having Clark/Kal being down-powered will give the writers a lot to hook into for years.

I hope Dave Cockrum's Futurians are at Epic and doing well.

Definitely a time of experimentation and creativity this comics 90's- without the bubble bursting, it going to be a ride to see where everything goes here. Butterflies are not so much flapping as roaring a storm now.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

He's already using guns and maybe some more nuanced writer could point out and use the unfortunate colonialist implication that are just all over the place.😬

Maybe an unfriendly rivalry with Black Panther? Or maybe someone from the tribe that's guarding his jungle fortress realises that the Phantom isn't a divine ghost and swears to destroy him for misappropriating their culture and kind of enslaving them.

Anyhow, I think the problem a Phantom retooling would be the complicated legal situation, since Harvey just licensed the character from Lee Falk themselves and don't own the rights completely.
Or, maybe make The Phantom Black or at least a POC. Simpler and makes more sense.

But that's just my two cents.

Or, maybe make The Phantom Black or at least a POC. Simpler and makes more sense.

Idk sounds like a cop out to me.

Also one of the fun things about the Phantom for me is how you can use a historical setting by just using one of the other 20 Phantoms that was active back then. Something that sadly doesn't work if the Phantom isn't white.

Also by making him black he would feel way to much like Black Panther imo.

The Phantom could easily be updated. Move him from the African country of Bengalla to the Asian country of Bangladesh, change over the white character to being a Bengali and the Singh Brotherhood are now Punjabi irredentists or something.

I think letting Alan Moore got nuts with a reboot of the DC Multiverse in the mid-late 90's would be Epic. Have him bring back Golden Age Superman and the folk lost in Crisis; reboot Earth 1> but sensibly number them instead of 1, X, S, 2, Y etc.

Then give Moore Earth 1938 to write and let him write a Golden/Sliver age book line with any other artist/writer (from that era of otherwise) who wants to join in. Publish it alongside the 'modern era' Superman/DCU and see what happens.

As for Marvel allowing Lee, Leifeld, Larsen etc space to tell their own tales at Epic will mean the X-Books, Spider-Man etc will retain their particular touches. It also spares us Heroes Reborn. With competent editors in charge the 'slippage' Image was infamous for should not happen at least on the main books.

After looking up some Harvey characters, I stumbled onto this: Fighting American, specifically the Rob Liefeld version.

Given that Rob never left Marvel ITTL wouldn't it make sense than he would be able to do his original Plan and use the material of Fighting American for his Heroes Reborn Reboot?

Last edited:
Should I still PM you?
If you do don't forget to involve myself, @Pyro, and @Ogrebear.

change over the white character to being a Bengali and the Singh Brotherhood are now Punjabi irredentists or something.
The whole point of the Phantom is immortal and the current Phantom is supposedly still the original.
After looking up some Harvey characters, I stumbled onto this: Fighting American, specifically the Rob Liefeld version.

Given that Rob never left Marvel ITTL wouldn't it make sense than he would be able to do his original Plan and use the material of Fighting American for his Heroes Reborn Reboot?
Harvey/Marvel doesn't own Fighting American, he's own by Jack Kirby & Joe Simon at this point in the TL and by their estates OTL. Personally I think using the Harvey characters in some sort of secret history of the Marvel Universe might be the easiest way to most of Harvey's characters, something like an earlier adaptation of Marvel: The Lost Generation.

Also thinking about it. Another possible animated feature could be an adaption of Aida . Though that would take Elton John to work on a Disney flick first before the collaboration with Tim Rice would be suggested again.
Also did you know that MGM hotel ( the second one after the first one nearly burnt down) had a theme park open in 1993? Granted the hotel would be quite different because of what it had access to in this time line…

Also thinking about it. Another possible animated feature could be an adaption of Aida . Though that would take Elton John to work on a Disney flick first before the collaboration with Tim Rice would be suggested again.
While I am guilty about suggesting future inclusions for the TL even I have made an attempt to not speculate on things so far in the "future" anymore. So at best try to stick to things about 4 or 5 years out of the "current" time period of 1992.

If you do don't forget to involve myself, @Pyro, and @Ogrebear.
Sure, if you explain to me how it works on this site, because I have no idea 😅

Harvey/Marvel doesn't own Fighting American, he's own by Jack Kirby & Joe Simon at this point in the TL and by their estates OTL
I think you misunderstood me.

I meant that since Rob Liefeld's run on Fighting American was just a way to recycle his unused Captain America Reboot idea and he will probably stay at Marvel in this Timeline, what if he was allowed to do his Heroes Reborn Reboot and just use Cap.

Then he wouldn't need to buy the rights and the comic itself would probably still be largely the same.

Just instead of thinly veiled analogies to Marvel characters we would get the real deal.

Maybe Heroes Reborn could either become the new Marvel status quo or it could become it's own universe like the Ultimate Comics, maybe Miles Morales could even be from Marvel Reborn Universe!

I meant that since Rob Liefeld's run on Fighting American was just a way to recycle his unused Captain America Reboot idea and he will probably stay at Marvel in this Timeline, what if he was allowed to do his Heroes Reborn Reboot and just use Cap.
Because they're not likely to reboot Captain America.
Then he wouldn't need to buy the rights and the comic itself would probably still be largely the same.
He didn't buy them he licensed them.
Maybe Heroes Reborn could either become the new Marvel status quo or it could become it's own universe like the Ultimate Comics, maybe Miles Morales could even be from Marvel Reborn Universe!
I don't remember reading anything about Marvel rebooting their heroes, or at least nothing canon.

Because they're not likely to reboot Captain America.

He didn't buy them he licensed them.

I don't remember reading anything about Marvel rebooting their heroes, or at least nothing canon.
They did kind of reboot, depending on your terms, Captain America around this time in that in 87 the government asks Steve to do some things he's not willing to do so he resigns and becomes "The Captain" while John Walker became Captain America for a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.