Status
Not open for further replies.
Animator's Perspective VI: Three Musketeers Greenlit
Chapter 7: The Three Mouseketeers
Post from the Riding with the Mouse Net-log by animator Terrell Little.

Sometimes the cat comes back. This was certainly the case for Steve Hulett’s Three Musketeers idea. We were deep into The Black Cauldron, him touching up dialog, me rushing to fill in the gaps between set pieces, when Ron Clements called us both to his office.

Walking through the halls past the inevitable gauntlet of “principal’s office” jokes, we met with Ron, wondering what we’d done wrong. Instead, he gave us some good news: we were getting a second opportunity to pitch the Three Musketeers idea.

Mickey%2C_Donald%2C_Goofy_-_The_Three_Musketeers_poster.jpg

We were flabbergasted. This never happened. Once an idea got killed, it stayed dead. Either a project got the full greenlight, like Cauldron, or it got put on life support and lived on in a vegetative zombie state, like Catfish Bend, or it was killed outright and buried in a shallow grave. Why were we given the impossible second turn at bat?

A week later we were pitching it again, this time with me taking point. For a man of many words on paper, Steve struggled to get them out in person some days. The whole time I pitched the idea, Jim Henson and Ron Miller kept staring at each other and snickering. What in the hell was so funny? It was throwing me off my game, but I kept going forward.

Finally, our hour was up. Ron, still sending knowing glances over at Jim, thanked us, and we left, utterly confused.

Three days later we got the greenlight. Disney’s The Three Musketeers would be produced as a new animated series for The Disney Channel. To this day, I have no idea why it suddenly came to be, but I didn’t stop to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Jim and Ron wanted to name it The Three Mouseketeers, but, alas, the lawyers shot that name down. It turns out that DC Comics owned the rights to that name due to an old comic book from the ‘40s, even as Disney owned the rights to the term “Mouseketeers” in association with the Mickey Mouse Club. God save us from lawyers. Disney’s The Three Musketeers it would have to be.

Soon Mickey-as-Aramis, Donald-as-Athos, and Goofy-as-Porthos, pestered by the energetic young wannabe-Musketeer José Carioca-as-D’Artagnan, were lighting up the small screen. Our budget was limited and thus, inevitably, so was our animation, but the series proved popular enough to be replayed on CBS Saturday Mornings, where it became a minor hit and even sold some merch.

Steve’s writing even got nominated for a Daytime Emmy for the season two episode “For Richelieu or for Poorer[1]”. Tim Burton, Steve’s eternal tormentor, congratulated him…sort of. “Steve, congrats,” said Burton, throwing an arm over his shoulder, “You’re a real modern-day Dumas.”

Steve had no idea how to respond, other than, “um, thanks, Tim.”

[1] The Musketeers, deeply in debt, get the chance to work for the villainous Cardinal Richelieu (Pete) for a lot of gold, but they ultimately decide that honor is more valuable than money.

Who else forgot this movie existed until now? (raises hand)
Thinking about it, this would be a good premise for a series, with plenty of opportunities for capital-A Adventure!
For some reason I'm already imagining a running gag where Donald is looking for every opportunity to use a cannon but always has to abstain or it always backfires on him (except for that one time in the season finale when everything works as planned and even Donald is amazed).

on the computer post a few pages back, i think with the butterflies flapping, Jack Tramiel will still take over Atari, but enough changes that instead of otl where an advanced graphics chip design was passed over by tramiel (even though it was offered to him for peanuts first) and ending up in the amiga, might now end up in the Atari St design.

on the computer post a few pages back, i think with the butterflies flapping, Jack Tramiel will still take over Atari, but enough changes that instead of otl where an advanced graphics chip design was passed over by tramiel (even though it was offered to him for peanuts first) and ending up in the amiga, might now end up in the Atari St design.
Really? Jeez tramiel was even worse i imagine, thanks god OTL he crashed and burned hard, Better make him pass, Amiga was far better Atari.

Still Why don't Wank AMD early? those were far better those other companies(and i'm the intel fanboy)

Really? Jeez tramiel was even worse i imagine, thanks god OTL he crashed and burned hard, Better make him pass, Amiga was far better Atari.

Still Why don't Wank AMD early? those were far better those other companies(and i'm the intel fanboy)
i disagree, i liked the ST (i still have my 1040ST somewhere in its original box) (i admit colourscreen wise amiga was better)
i'd prefer an apple screw, their monopolist behaviour was already nasty in the 80s with their endless lawsuits against anything having a GUI desktop (if the companies were small enough though).
and they didn't even invent it (it was developed by Rank Xerox) .
and we're still at a point in time where motorola with their 68000 series was still a good competition

Atari made some amazing products, with lots of potential, they just seemed to get things just not completely right (tramiel again often)

Last edited:
i'd prefer an apple screw, their monopolist behaviour was already nasty in the 80s with their endless lawsuits against anything having a GUI desktop (if the companies were small enough though).
We Can Screw both and i would be happy(never cared about apple but their iphone are the most weak PoS ever, my mom one died suddenly and oh so convenient, guanrateed expired).

and we're still at a point in time where motorola with their 68000 series was still a good competition
Ah the 68K, the original videogame CPU machine

marathag

Banned
Jay Miner, the guy responsible for the Atari 400/800 8bit superior sound and graphics(and earlier the 2600), had idea for even more advanced and powerful machine, that would turn out to be the Amiga.
In 1979, the Suits at Atari, now owned by Warner, told him to do no more research and development on the 16 bit Moto68k chip and updated sound and graphics.

Anyway, Atari lost Jay and the guys who later formed Activision, the first independent video game company.
One of them, Larry Kaplan, met with Jay in in 1982 and said they wanted to do software for his dream 16 bit machine, since Larry knew that 8 bit was too limiting for what he wanted to do.

So a new company, Hi-Toro was formed to make a killer Video game Console, that could also be a computer.

The '83 crash killed that console idea, but ' Lorraine ' as the project was called, would live as a full computer, that was picking up as consoled withered.
So Hi-Toro restarted as Amiga, with a goal to have a working Amiga 1000 demo at the 1984 June CES

People were gobsmacked with this demo
1597511240946.png
of a bouncing spinning ball, with zero lag

That was something that you would have needed a Silicon Graphics workstation to do, and this Amiga was to be a home computer

Computer people were amazed, but investors were not. Amiga was deep in debt, and no money to make this computer. They had design prototype and software, zero production capability. Who wanted to do a startup home computer? the Commodore C64 was killing everything 8bit.

Atari offered them a deal that they couldn't refuse, in the best Godfather tradition.

Then a Bolt from the Blue, Jack Tramiel(kicked from Commodore in Jan 1984) had bought Atari from Warners on July 1st, and sacked nearly everyone, bring his ex-Commodore people over, just before the Atari takeover was to happen
While Atari was sorting out, Commodore, needing new people and product to replace the C64, did a White Knight, and offered a far better deal.

But Tramiel was planning to strike back at the deal breakers and ex-company, with a quickly whipped up 16 bit, the 520ST, and that got to market months ahead of the Amiga 1000

Yeah I prefer the modern market, when Intel Fumbled and almost Killed all of Raja project just for comeback with Xe(too little and too late? perphaps...perphaps not...) and AMD. Well....that is why i fear for nintendo now.

Can we just have a timeline where the VGC of 83 is butterflied?
The Crash might have started since 80 the earliest, the thing was so much Hardware and little software, plus thinking about it, there was not crash, the hardware and software moved to microcomputers when crashed and burned too and nothing happened in Europe and Japan, the crash is too USA centric at times and seems was a managerial fault at times...that is why i think that was a net positive it happened

The Crash happened because the suits wanted to €¿@♧ out hardware and especially software as fast as possible. The first signs of trouble were the Atari 1200XL breaking backward compatibility accidentally, and Pac-Man for the 2600 being rushed out after only five weeks of development. Considering there are 4K versions on YouTube that manage two players, all the fruit, a decent facsimile of the maze (still uses dashes for dots, and too few of them to boot), and even a seven digit scoreboard, Ray Kassar and other execs at Warner Bros simply have no excuse for their impatience but greed. The third parties, with honorable exceptions like Activision and Parker Bros, merely followed that bad example, and the public reacted predictably.

Even today, I'm not opposed to (most of) the principles behind the Official Nintendo Seal of Approval, though I utterly despise the way it all too frequently was used as a canard to enforce Nintendo's monopolistic practices against Sega and Atari.

Even today, I'm not opposed to (most of) the principles behind the Official Nintendo Seal of Approval, though I utterly despise the way it all too frequently was used as a canard to enforce Nintendo's monopolistic practices against Sega and Atari.
Techically The exclusive deal was to prove compromise but again not others do it too? all is fair game, those are the conditions of deals, maybe sofware people think different economist or legal schollars too. Still yeah Atari under Kassar was an orgy of self destruction and tramiel was far worse.

A shame, not all companies can get a Yamauchi, Ohga or jobs.

That Three Musketeers series sounds like fun, esp if peppered with in jokes, Easter eggs and such, plus the all important adult level ‘Hidden’ humour.

If Beauty and the Beast get made ITTL, I wonder if there would be call backs to the Trio?

That Three Musketeers series sounds like fun, esp if peppered with in jokes, Easter eggs and such, plus the all important adult level ‘Hidden’ humour.

If Beauty and the Beast get made ITTL, I wonder if there would be call backs to the Trio?

Only in the Dirsctor's commentary track. The former is Disney's funny animals, the latter is strictly humans, either flesh and blood, or cursed into household items or an erect chimera. No natural funny animals allowed!

Dis War I: Enemy at the Gates
Chapter 2: Enemy at the Gates
Excerpt from Kingdom Under Siege: The Wall Street War over Disney, by Taylor Johnson.

In the summer of 1983, Stanley Gold began acquiring outstanding shares of Disney stock on behalf of Roy E. Disney. The share price had fallen below $90 following a lower than expected quarterly return due to a combination of shrinking attendance at EPCOT (despite the popularity of the new Imagination Pavilion), the failure of Trenchcoat earlier that year, losses associated with Disney’s poorly-timed foray into the home videogame market, and the delays and cost overruns associated with Return to Oz and other movies. Gold saw it as an opportunity to increase Roy E. Disney’s position in his father’s company.

On September 13th, 1983, Shamrock Holdings filed a Schedule 13D with the SEC announcing that it now controlled 5.2% of Disney stock as “an investment”. The announcement shocked and terrified the Walt Disney family, with Lilly Disney proclaiming it a “coup in the making”. Gold attempted to allay fears with the board, but he also made it clear that his client, having increased his position, was due greater representation on the board. Gold demanded that the Disney board give Roy a second seat at the table, the same as they had given the other major shareholder, Jim Henson. If not, he alluded, legal action or “a stronger position” might be required.

This sent the board into a frenzy. Walker, Tatum, and Miller openly opposed it. “We will not be blackmailed into putting you on the board, Stanley,” Walker told Gold, surmising (correctly) that Gold would take the second seat.

Gottesman, detecting Henson’s unease in the situation, interjected himself. “Gold is right,” he said, “Roy should have a second seat. It’s only fair.” Henson nodded his approval, which pained Ron Miller.

Chairman Ray Watson, himself a declared neutral party, seconded Gottesman’s statement. “The proper functioning of this board demands that all members and shareholders get equal treatment. Though the tone of Mr. Disney’s representative is indecorous and quarrelsome, his assertions are justified.”

As the board argued, it became increasingly clear that they couldn’t refuse the request outright without displaying clear bias and opening themselves up to legal action. Eventually, a consensus was reached: Roy E. Disney would get a second seat. Ray Watson, reminding the board that a split decision might be taken as a sign of weakness and division, called for a vote. It was unanimous in favor of giving Shamrock Holdings a second seat on the board, though grudgingly so in many cases. Roy immediately, and unsurprisingly, chose Stanley Gold. Ray Watson formally welcomed Gold to the board.

Gold would prove to be a formidable foil for the Disney management, openly saying what Roy had always thought but never said aloud, which occasionally caused Chairman Watson to admonish him for decorum. However, the discourse proved healthy and forced the Disney executives to be more transparent with the board.

Though the acrimonious conflict would pain Henson, he and Gottesman would continue to act as intermediaries between the two warring sides of the Disney family, working to smooth over issues, and they soon gained a reputation with the board as honest and reliable neutral brokers.

When Jim Henson suggested that Roy be given a position at Disney, perhaps in production, he was shot down by both sides of the Disney family. However, all agreed that Ron Miller and Roy E. Disney should be seen having lunch together at the Disney commissary as a show of unity, which they did, just before Christmas in 1983, much to the delight of the Disney employees.

The show of unity couldn’t have come at a better time. Starting in February 1984, the frequency of trades in Disney stock began increasing dramatically. Gold and Roy denied it was them.

Danger was coming to the Magic Kingdom.

* * *​

Stocks at a Glance: Walt Disney Productions (DIS)
February 14th, 1984
Stock price: $84.24
Major Shareholders: Henson family (9.4%), Unknown Buyer (4.3%), Roy E. Disney (5.2%), Disney-Miller family (11%), Suspected Arbitrageurs: 3.4%, Other (61.7%)
Outstanding shares: 34.5 million

hqdefault.jpg

(Image source “youtube.com”)

* * *​

The Board of Directors for the Walt Disney Productions Company, February 1984:
Ray Watson, Chairman (former head of the Irvine Company)
E. Cardon “Card” Walker, Chairman Emeritus
Donn Tatum, Chairman Emeritus
Ronald “Ron” Miller, CEO, President, and COO
James M. “Jim” Henson, CCO, President, Disney Studios, & Creative Director (founder and head of Henson Associates)
Richard “Dick” Nunis, President, Disney’s Outdoor Entertainment
Roy E. Disney (head of Shamrock Holdings)
Stanley Gold (Shamrock Holdings)
Al Gottesman (Henson Associates)
Philip Hawley (Carter Hawley Hale)
Samuel Williamson (senior partner, Hufstedler, Miller, Carson, & Beardsley)
Caroline Ahmanson (head and founder of Caroline Leonetti Ltd.; Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco)

The Disney Executive Committee:
E. Cardon Walker, Chairman Emeritus
Donn Tatum, Chairman Emeritus
Ronald “Ron” Miller, CEO, President, and COO
James M. “Jim” Henson, CCO and President, Disney Studios
Richard “Dick” Nunis, President, Disney Outdoor Entertainment
Thomas “Tom” Wilhite, President, Hyperion Pictures

- ∞ -

Last edited:
Could this outside buyer be someone like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? 84 is probably too early for them? Maybe George Lucas?

Probably Just some bank or investment fund.

Who else forgot this movie existed until now? (raises hand)
Thinking about it, this would be a good premise for a series, with plenty of opportunities for capital-A Adventure!
For some reason I'm already imagining a running gag where Donald is looking for every opportunity to use a cannon but always has to abstain or it always backfires on him (except for that one time in the season finale when everything works as planned and even Donald is amazed).

Sounds like a good running joke for this series.

Jay Miner, the guy responsible for the Atari 400/800 8bit superior sound and graphics(and earlier the 2600), had idea for even more advanced and powerful machine, that would turn out to be the Amiga.
In 1979, the Suits at Atari, now owned by Warner, told him to do no more research and development on the 16 bit Moto68k chip and updated sound and graphics.

Anyway, Atari lost Jay and the guys who later formed Activision, the first independent video game company.
One of them, Larry Kaplan, met with Jay in in 1982 and said they wanted to do software for his dream 16 bit machine, since Larry knew that 8 bit was too limiting for what he wanted to do.

So a new company, Hi-Toro was formed to make a killer Video game Console, that could also be a computer.

Our @Kalvan has developed some interesting butterflies. Tramiel, Kaplan, and Milner will make an appearance, as will names you never would have expected to associate with computers.

Can we just have a timeline where the VGC of 83 is butterflied?
The Crash might have started since 80 the earliest, the thing was so much Hardware and little software, plus thinking about it, there was not crash, the hardware and software moved to microcomputers when crashed and burned too and nothing happened in Europe and Japan, the crash is too USA centric at times and seems was a managerial fault at times...that is why i think that was a net positive it happened

As Kalvan said, the Crash was a long time coming and nothing in this TL was likely to butterfly it. Still, the aftermath will be something completely different.

Could this outside buyer be someone like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? 84 is probably too early for them? Maybe George Lucas?

Probably Just some bank or investment fund.
I could see it being Holmes à Court. It was mentioned earlier in the timeline that he has his eyes on Hensen and Disney iirc.
That's my guess as well.

Foreshadowing or red herring? Find out tomorrow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.