Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels so sad for Henson.

Can't he take a vacation?
Thing is @kilopi505 I bet Jim Henson going on a vacation to somewhere tropical would come back with a suitcase of sketches and ideas for a Muppet Pirate Special, or a Mickey on the Beach story, or even he'd see a local show of performers and not help but get invovled...
OB answered that one on the nose, @kilopi505. That's the thing about workaholics. It's like an addiction. Henson IOTL tended to do exactly what OB said: he'd sit on the beach with a legal pad and a pencil rather than a magazine and a pina colada. Unless he was with his kids, then attention was on them.

Oh ho, an early Rescue Rangers? Once again the Khan spoils us. Maybe Chip and Dale will cameo somewhere, I assume the lead characters would be original to the show.
Yes, essentially led by Bernard and Bianca (Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor voice at first, then handed to staff voice artists) plus other new characters. Chip and Dale will make a cameo at one point, though canonically they are in different universes.

Since you mentioned Faith No More, is there any chance to get Mike Patton into film composing earlier. His work on the Place Between the Pines soundtrack was amazing. Bon Iver's Werewolves PT. 3 became a song that has to be played at my memorial. But me and the wife just finished up NOS4A2 on Hulu. Patton is the composer for the show and his score is magnificent.
I wasn't aware of his film score career, cool! Just recently learned that Trent Reznor was doing scores. As of "now" (1987) Chuck Mosley is still the front man for FNM.

That's a shame. I was a massive fan of Storyteller when it ran on Channel 4, but the various incarnations of Wonderful World of Disney never got shown in the UK, and I assume that's the same ITTL. Maybe they could be packaged seperately for other markets?
With Henson building the success of the Muppets in the UK he may make an effort to work with ATV to get more Disney stuff to the UK.
Given Henson's popularity in Britain, Lord Lew Grade and Michael Grade arranged a distribution/syndication deal, and not just in Britain. Essentially, look at how Fraggle Rock got internationally syndicated IOTL and Waggle Rock ITTL. Besides, with plans to expand into Europe with Disneyland Valencia there's a real push from the Board to increase Disney brand recognition across the continent.

I wasn't aware of his film score career, cool! Just recently learned that Trent Reznor was doing scores. As of "now" (1987) Chuck Mosley is still the front man for FNM.
Oh my I forgot about that. And wow yeah Trent has been David Fincher's go to composer since Social Network. On a reverse note and you also mentioned it, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I didn't realize Danny Elfman was the singer for Oingo Boingo until recently. There is just something attracting band frontmen to become film composers. Even Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo is a composer. Most well known for providing music for Rugrats entire run. I am sure if I took a dive there would be so many frontman turned composer it would be extensive.

Last edited:
Besides, with plans to expand into Europe with Disneyland Valencia there's a real push from the Board to increase Disney brand recognition across the continent.
Jim would see that local entertainment still gets as much prominence if not more over the American stuff in that case. He's that kind of guy.

Also yeah, I would like to see how rock star composers go here. Most of all a certain ex-Beatle would be most neat for me.

Last edited:
Jim would see that local entertainment still gets prominence over the American stuff in that case.

Also yeah, I would like to see how rock star composers go here. Most of all a certain ex-Beatle would be most neat for me.
and ittl the ex-beatles won't get screwed over by michael jackson, and macca gets to buy back the song rights.

and ittl the ex-beatles won't get screwed over by michael jackson, and macca gets to buy back the song rights.
Well, Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles songs IOTL on August 14, 1985, and presumably does the same ITTL, which would be a year before his death ITTL. Perhaps his estate could sell the rights to Paul following Jackson's death, though.

Well, Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles songs IOTL on August 14, 1985, and presumably does the same ITTL, which would be a year before his death ITTL. Perhaps his estate could sell the rights to Paul following Jackson's death, though.
ah ok, i thought it was later in the 80s

Jim would see that local entertainment still gets as much prominence if not more over the American stuff
I remember a documentary on foreign versions of Sesame Street and how they worked to port things over.
Unfortunately I can't recall the country, but one subject was making sure the local puppet tradition had a place on the Street.

Is Danny Elfman still involved with this TL's The Nightmare Before Christmas? Or are you saving those details for a later post? As awesome as having Robert Smith have a working relationship with Tim Burton is and the possibility of him voicing Jack Skeleton is intriguing. Elfman was a big part of what made OTL's film so amazing. The Burton and Elfman duo is probably the most successful director and composer partnership in film history. Admittedly I am quite biased as I am a huge Burton and Elfman fanboy. Unfortunately I am a huge The Cure fanboy as well. I always thought Smith and Burton were so similar. Damn "you're tearing me apart" Geekhis. Idk what I would prefer now that I have thought about it.

Nerdicus
Now, then you have Yutaka Fujioka’s Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, which was another long production, and so many amazing animators from Disney Old Men to Brad Bird to Hayao Miyazaki and many, many more worked on it, but it was like 1989 before it premiered, and, well, it didn’t do much better, like $11.5 million on a $35 million budget. So, no wonder we remember Disney, right?
Now that I think about it: with Tokyo Movie Shinsha's Little Nemo film set to release AND flop ITTL in 1989, will Yutaka Fujioka end up selling TMS to any corperation (Japan or USA) shortly after that? Personally, I think that Warner Bros. owning the anime studio behind Lupin III and Arika would be a good fit.

Disney Does Dinosaurs I
Disney Does Dinosaurs! Part 1: The Land Before Time (1987)
Nostalgia was Way Better when I was a Kid Netsite, August 17th, 2000

In 1986 Jim Henson and associate directors Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, along with Amblin producer and Henson daughter Lisa, were discussing ideas for a new animatronic-based film as a follow up to the hit Labyrinth. Reportedly, Henson and Spielberg said the words “Dinosaurs” at the exact same time.

Spielberg and Lucas were both big fans of the “Rite of Spring” sequence from Fantasia. Spielberg had wanted to do something involving dinosaurs for a while and had considered pitching the idea as an animated feature. But the sheer realism of the animatronic effects coming out of the Disney Creatureworks, which many in the industry still called the Henson Creatureworks, made the idea of an animatronic film a natural. “The Natural History Project” was born[1].

The_Land_Before_Time_poster.jpg

Not this…

At first, they planned to make it silent, without dialog, like an extended nature documentary. However, that idea was quickly scrapped in favor of an original story that would appeal to children. Lucas suggested the name “The Land Before Time Began.” This was shortened to The Land Before Time and a classic film (and a blessing to antipsychotic pharmaceutical manufacturers everywhere) was born.

Frank Oz was called in to direct and screenwriter William Stout was ultimately selected to write the screenplay with some script doctoring by Judy Freiberg. What emerged was the story of a grizzled old Parasaurolophus who leads a group of young herbivores on a quest to find a mythic green valley, all the while stalked by various villainous carnivores. “Rolo” the old Parasaurolophus leads and teaches young Corythosaurus “Cory”, a pair of dim-witted “Tweddle Dee and Tweddle Dum” inspired Pachycephalosaurs named “Seth” and “Packer”, a “woeful” ankylosaur named “Kyle”, and a “haughty” Styracosaur named “Stryker”[2].

They are pursued by comic relief/your worst nightmares come true Ovi, Velo, and Dromeo, a pack of “raptors” determined to catch and eat our protagonists (Oviraptor, Velociraptor, and Dromaeosaur, respectively). Prior to this film, your average viewer had no idea what a “raptor” was, surprisingly enough, and this feature is credited with making Dromaeosaurs and Velociraptors as famous as Tyrannosaurs and Ceratopsians[3]. And they were at once scary AF and rather amusing in a “Shakespearian Clowns” crossed with Three Stooges kind of way. Interestingly, it was the three raptors that would cause the biggest fan controversy, as all three were adorned with feathers! Today it’s “common knowledge” that dinosaurs had feathers, but really only paleontologists and “dino nerds” knew or accepted this in 1987. Spielberg even hesitated about adding the feathers, knowing that audiences would have a hard time accepting them, but Henson won out, and posterity has celebrated the fact that Disney did Dino-feathers two decades before anyone else.

Looming over all of this was the Tyrannosaurus, nicknamed “Sharptooth” by the protagonists, who never spoke or had any overt personality. Rather, he (she?) was a sort of looming menace and symbol of mortality rather than antagonist with any overt goals. Sharptooth and the Raptors (hey, did I just come up with an awesome band name?) stalk our protagonists as they make their way to the fabled green valley, the heroes learning important lessons like teamwork, getting along, and celebrating each other’s differences and talents. The story was largely character driven with the overall plot there to serve as a vehicle for the life’s lessons and fabulous immersive practical effects that drove the story.

Henson’s Creatureworks knocked one out of the park here, making The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth looks quaint by comparison. For the distance shots, particularly with herds of dinosaurs, they enlisted ILM, specifically Phil Tippett, to develop “Go Motion” effects. Paleontologists Jack Horner, Robert T. Bakker, and Phil Currie provided technical consultation on how the dinosaurs should move and act. All of the effects required a staggering for the time $32 million, mostly funded through Silver Screen Tax Shelter Partners XVIII or whatever (I’m sure Dow Pharmaceutical must be one of the “partners” given how many SSRIs these ‘80s Disney movies have sold). Naturally, being about dinosaurs, the International Unit off Obsession in children, it made over $105 million at the box office and was a certified hit[4]. It spawned two sequels that didn’t perform as well but still made a worthwhile profit (1990’s TLBT 2: Cera’s Troop and 1995’s TLBT 3: The Reign of Sharptooth, both of which integrated computer effects in with the animatronics) as well as a few “Shorts” and a four-season TV series using the old animatronics and sets. A spin-off film, 1994’s The Frost Giants, followed a team of animatronic Mammoths, Wooly Rhinos, and other Ice Age critters, this time pursued by predators like “Smiley” the Smilodon.

TLBT would also spawn a dark ride at the Adventure Lands at various Disney parks.

The Land Before Time is considered a watershed moment in animatronic effects. It would win the Oscar and Golden Globe alike for the effects. Although not a musical, the soundtrack, including “We All Stand Together” by Diana Ross, was popular and sold gold. All four films remain good sellers on home media and the original is considered a Disney Classic and can amaze viewers even today when immersive, breathtaking effects are becoming so common as to be blasé. And while I for one wasn’t young enough at that point to see my childhood traumas reinforced, the lifelike effects and frightening visuals with the villainous raptors and Sharptooth did their part to keep the SSRI industry afloat through the next generation of kids.

And yes, since you asked, it sold a gross metric fuk-ton of toys, merch, and tie-in video games, including the classic Nintendo, Atari, and Sega games, and still sells merch both to new generations of young fans and nostalgic twenty-somethings trying to deal with the stress of life as a cubicle drone.

The Land Before Time remains one of the signature triumphs of the Creatureworks and ILM and a classic film. Paleontologists, dino nerds, and average audiences alike marveled at it then and still marvel today.

The Xanax is optional.

[1] In this timeline Spielberg’s idea for an animated dinosaur feature merges with Jim Henson and William Stout’s The Natural History Project (follow link for art that I couldn't post here) to become a Disney Creatureworks animatronic creation here rather than a Bluth-made movie turned series of movies turned franchise zombie (I personally can’t wait to see The Land Before Time LXIX: The Fun Goes Extinct). In our timeline, Henson abandoned the project when Bluth/Amblin announced the release of The Land Before Time. And a Parasaurolophus crest-tip to @Plateosaurus and @Nathanoraptor for reminding me of this project.

[2] Voiced by Judith Barsi. More on her later.

[3] While us “dinosaur nerds” were fully aware of how undeniably awesome raptors were in the 1980s (I “retired” Tyrannosaurus Rex as my favorite dinosaur in the mid ‘80s in favor of Deinonychus) most wouldn’t come to learn about them in our timeline until Jurassic Park.

[4] Compare to $85 million for the Bluth film of the same name. Here the sheer awe of the for the time revolutionary special effects has driven a larger “novelty” attendance there to see the eye candy, much as Jurassic Park did in our timeline. Otherwise, the same audience that flocked to the Bluth feature in our timeline has flocked to this one for pretty much the same reasons.

Great couple of chapters :D Amazing.
[3] While us “dinosaur nerds” were fully aware of how undeniably awesome raptors were in the 1980s (I “retired” Tyrannosaurus Rex as my favorite dinosaur in the mid ‘80s in favor of Deinonychus) most wouldn’t come to learn about them in our timeline until Jurassic Park.
Hey now: both T. Rex and Utahraptor are awesome...

687474703a2f2f7777772e7177616e747a2e636f6d2f636f6d6963732f636f6d6963322d313935352e706e67

Well this is another movie that goes on ITTL me's fav movie list as The Land Before Time sounds like the sort of thing teen me would have watched at the cinema- where it was supposed to be seen! May not have brought the toys or needed the drugs though.

Does this butterfly the Ice Age movies later one wonders?

For the record, my fav Dinosaurs are the flying Pterosaurs.

With how big(ger) Disney has become, I honestly wish that other studios start getting some big hits. It can't all be a Disney monolith in both OTL and TTL.

All Dogs Go to Heaven was destroyed at the box office despite a very moving performance by Judith Barsi. Erasing the movie that beat it would be good. Ariel's waist is only a tiny bit wider than her arm. What message does that send impressionable little girls?

Now that I think about it: with Tokyo Movie Shinsha's Little Nemo film set to release AND flop ITTL in 1989, will Yutaka Fujioka end up selling TMS to any corperation (Japan or USA) shortly after that? Personally, I think that Warner Bros. owning the anime studio behind Lupin III and Arika would be a good fit.
Well, in our timeline, SEGA owns TMS. How there hasn't been a Lupin III and Persona 5 crossover yet is beyond me.

It spawned two sequels that didn’t perform as well but still made a worthwhile profit (1990’s TLBT 2: Cera’s Troop and 1995’s TLBT 3: The Reign of Sharptooth, both of which integrated computer effects in with the animatronics) as well as a few “Shorts” and a four-season TV series using the old animatronics and sets. A spin-off film, 1994’s The Frost Giants, followed a team of animatronic Mammoths, Wooly Rhinos, and other Ice Age critters, this time pursued by predators like “Smiley” the Smilodon.

TLBT would also spawn a dark ride at the Adventure Lands at various Disney parks.
So, in this timeline, we have two worthwile sequels instead of a legion of mediocre ones, a handful of creative shorts, most likely for the anthology series, a dark ride, a TV show that would run for longer than people would expect it to, AND a spinoff that may or may not butterfly a certain other dead horse franchise that is constantly beaten for monetary gain?

Honestly, I'm surprised that you managed to make the possibility of turning TLBT into a franchise still happen, and yet, you also managed to make it retain its charm for longer than our timeline had it!

A Land Before Time without (roughly) any anachronisms? Yes!

Pterosaurs aren't Dinosaurs.

Yup - pterosaurs are part of the same order as dinosaurs (Ornithodira), but they're not dinosaurs. Calling a pterosaur a dinosaur is like calling a camel a whale.

Does this butterfly the Ice Age movies later one wonders?

I would imagine not - of course, I can see Ice Age being very different.

With LBT being a far bigger hit than it was OTL and not a short hand for dead film franchises, and Frost Giants existing, I can see naturalistic prehistoric-animal-centric films for kids, whether live-action or animated, with serious tones, starting to become more popular than they were OTL. That would possibly lead to an Ice Age or something like it with a more dramatic tone and less anachronistic dialogue.

All Dogs Go to Heaven was destroyed at the box office despite a very moving performance by Judith Barsi. Erasing the movie that beat it would be good. Ariel's waist is only a tiny bit wider than her arm. What message does that send impressionable little girls?

I would have to disagree - the songs in Little Mermaid are the pinnacle of the late Howard Ashman's career. It doesn't seem right to butterfly it away.

I just realized something, and you can thank @Nathanoraptor's post for this...

If TLBT is more successful and a bit darker than OTL's version, would we see The Flintstones return to its adult roots to celebrate their 30th anniversary?

Status
Not open for further replies.