Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a certain "clips show" retrospective feel to this post that brings back all the warm fuzzies of following this timeline from beginning to the current point.

I love these 'peak behind the curtain' episodes, one of the big reasons I love this timeline so much.
Getting the different viewpoints on what 'their "Magic Moment"' was a fun read, as was keeping an eye out for the recognizable names that get sprinkled into these anthology posts.

Nice recap of the stuff that happened during the decade.

We soon had rock bands like They Might be Giants, Guns & Roses, Faith No More, Primus, and even rap bands like Biz Markie or Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince playing at various Disney stages at Disneyland, Disney World, or Disneytowns. But with limits on the sex and profanity, of course; we’re still Disney[1]!
I'm very pleased that Halyx's popularity ITTL had a positive impact aside from Tokyo, with Disney being able to book new bands to perform at the theme parks. Tomorrowland Terrace and Club Cyclia must be a pretty cool places to be at for a 90s kid.

The Muppet Show spectacular sounds fantastic, and I like how both Jim and Frank managed to commit some hijinks by taking over the show as the actual Kermit and Ms. Piggy. I'd believe it if lines stretched out for miles with their performance!

That Figment and Scorch rap...damn, I definitely would've hated it but it sounds like classic 80s/90s material right there.

Shields and Yarnell is oddly perfect for Tomorrowland, with two guys acting as walkaround robots for the land. No doubt some theme park content creator like Yesterworld would've taken notice of this unique piece of Disney history.

Getting heckled by Statler and Waldorf should be every entertainers rite of passage. If pop star know they have made it when Werid Al parodies them, then everyone else needs a hecklin'
This needs to be a common occurrence in the timeline, full stop. I can't imagine people performing for something like a parade or a stage show without the both of them heckling from the sidelines.

Those African Mask Muppets look awesome. I'm surprised why would anyone would call them scary but seeing them walk around the World Showcase like that.....simply breathtaking. I guess they could be the inspiration from an alt Tapestry of Nations parade ITTL once EPCOT reaches the New Millennium.

Honestly I won't be surprised if Disneyland gets Muppetland at this rate. They have so many Muppets projects going on at Disneyland and the IP is so popular that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a derivative of MK's Muppetland.

Halyx kicking off a Disney music sense and launcinh them as a 'cool' music venue is just amusing all all heck. One of the best ideas in the timeline so far.

"Jim Henson and Frank Oz snuck into the Muppet Show Live attraction" - that sounds like something Henson and Oz would do, as much to entertain as to break the Disney Corp 'scripts'.

"a Rap Battle between Figment and a ventriloquist’s puppet named Scorch" - FIRE UP THE D_VIEWER!
I bet Scorch got a bit of a visual upgrade from being at Disney and around the Muppeteers.

Shields and Yarnell - damm that was good! Looking them up.

Getting heckled by Statler and Waldorf should be every entertainers rite of passage. If pop star know they have made it when Werid Al parodies them, then everyone else needs a hecklin'

Harry Belafonte leading a Conga line? I hope someone got that on tape!

Lovely chapter there @Geekhis Khan - memories like this show us its not just the 'big' events that are effected by Henson at Disney, but all those little memories that make up our lives.

More please!
There's a certain "clips show" retrospective feel to this post that brings back all the warm fuzzies of following this timeline from beginning to the current point.
Nice recap of the stuff that happened during the decade.

I'm very pleased that Halyx's popularity ITTL had a positive impact aside from Tokyo, with Disney being able to book new bands to perform at the theme parks. Tomorrowland Terrace and Club Cyclia must be a pretty cool places to be at for a 90s kid.

The Muppet Show spectacular sounds fantastic, and I like how both Jim and Frank managed to commit some hijinks by taking over the show as the actual Kermit and Ms. Piggy. I'd believe it if lines stretched out for miles with their performance!

That Figment and Scorch rap...damn, I definitely would've hated it but it sounds like classic 80s/90s material right there.

Shields and Yarnell is oddly perfect for Tomorrowland, with two guys acting as walkaround robots for the land. No doubt some theme park content creator like Yesterworld would've taken notice of this unique piece of Disney history.

This needs to be a common occurrence in the timeline, full stop. I can't imagine people performing for something like a parade or a stage show without the both of them heckling from the sidelines.

Those African Mask Muppets look awesome. I'm surprised why would anyone would call them scary but seeing them walk around the World Showcase like that.....simply breathtaking. I guess they could be the inspiration from an alt Tapestry of Nations parade ITTL once EPCOT reaches the New Millennium.

Honestly I won't be surprised if Disneyland gets Muppetland at this rate. They have so many Muppets projects going on at Disneyland and the IP is so popular that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a derivative of MK's Muppetland.
Thanks, all. S&Y were really the inspiration for the whole post. They managed to make mime cool for a wide audience, one of the very few times that comes to mind where someone has, another being when Joss and the Buffy crew hired professional mimes to play the uber-creepy Gentlemen from "Hush". I saw S&Y on The Muppet Show (the very sketch that I posted) and I had a vision of them pranking folks at EPCOT. But that alone wasn't a full post worth, just an interesting tidbit, so I went for the "clips show" idea, as Samarkand dubbed it.

If figured if S&Y could punk EPCOT then Jim & Frank could punk the Muppet Show Live animatronic show.

Halyx of course needed a mention, and was the perfect segue into the evolving music scene at the parks. And since someone was specifically asking about Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince...

I was going to introduce Scorch at some point since he was a "thing" around 1990 (even had a failed TV show), and playing him against Figment seemed a natural. And yes, it will be very much in the vein of that "awkward late '80s white people rapping" kind of rap, but with its own "Narm charm" as it were.

"Don's alarm clocks" needed a new awakening, of course. Tim seemed the proper vessel for that anecdote.

S&W as a rite of passage...yes. I can absolutely see that becoming something that every performer who works the Disney Circuit would want to do at least once just to earn the respect of their colleagues. Oh hell...just has a vision of Gilbert Gottfried vs. S&W. If GG can keep it clean it could become a WoM moment.

And once I discovered that Wayne Brady was on hand at EPCOT, the finale wrote itself. Since the concert was a special fundraiser for ending Apartheid I figure it would air on WoM, though they had to end the show before they made it all the way around during the original live broadcast. And yes, I can really see Tapestry of nations launching in some form iTTL.

And FYI everyone, I'll be on work travel this week, so my posting may be sporadic or delayed. See you sometime tomorrow! - GK

While I'm not completely happy with it but this is my best effort of creating a pic of Samantha Smith as Leslie Crusher:
deo11mp-5c3b5fb2-4c2e-4eb3-ac0e-262b354470f8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.