Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what would've happened if Comcast or Time Warner bought Fox instead of Disney...

Part of me hopes the Fox + Disney thing isn't butterflied, principally so we get that Planet of the Apes/Jurassic Park crossover I've been dreaming of for the past decade - imagine Caesar riding Rexy and Koba riding the Indominus rex.

Part of me hopes the Fox + Disney thing isn't butterflied, principally so we get that Planet of the Apes/Jurassic Park crossover I've been dreaming of for the past decade - imagine Caesar riding Rexy and Koba riding the Indominus rex.
How would that work? Didn't Planet Of The Apes cause an apocalypse or would the Dinos be left-over from pre-apocalypse? Either way, this sounds awesome!

How would that work? Didn't Planet Of The Apes cause an apocalypse or would the Dinos be left-over from pre-apocalypse? Either way, this sounds awesome!
I honestly don't see how this could work, and NGL, I don't find the mental image all that awesome.

Besides, Fox is split between 20th Century and Fox ITTL, so you can't buy one and its IP's without the other.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see how this could work, and NGL, I don't find the mental image all that awesome.

Besides, Fox is split between 20th Century and Fox ITTL, so you can't buy one and its IP's without the other.
I still don't get the point of splitting up 20th Century and Fox.

ITTL Tri-Star threatened to sue Triad over the similarities between their names and Triad agreed out of court to only release films under their 20th Century label (for more mature films) and Fox (for kids films).
Which is rather dumb. I wonder if Triad will sue Tristar in turn over how dumb it is.

ITTL Tri-Star threatened to sue Triad over the similarities between their names and Triad agreed out of court to only release films under their 20th Century label (for more mature films) and Fox (for kids films).
No, I mean 'let's split up this company with fifty years of brand recognition into it's original companies, messily divide their existing IP, and then merge it with a third company to call it Triad and then run afoul of Tri-Star'. It just felt very convoluted.

No, I mean 'let's split up this company with fifty years of brand recognition into it's original companies, messily divide their existing IP, and then merge it with a third company to call it Triad and then run afoul of Tri-Star'. It just felt very convoluted.
ITTL Gulf+Western purchased 20th Century Fox in 1985 and merged it with Paramount to create Triad.
Plus that's pretty much what happened with Disney bought them OTL so I don't see the problem ITTL.
Which is rather dumb. I wonder if Triad will sue Tristar in turn over how dumb it is.
Why, it was Triad's decision to split up 20th Century Fox:
[2] Tri-Star will threaten legal action over the name, to which Triad will settle out of court with a promise to never market movies or TV under the Triad label, only under the subsidiary labels (Paramount, 20th Century, and Fox).
If anything the more likely scenario is that Triad buys out TriStar at some point.

Last edited:
ITTL Gulf+Western purchased 20th Century Fox in 1985 and merged it with Paramount to create Triad.
Plus that's pretty much what happened with Disney bought them OTL so I don't see the problem ITTL.

Why, it was Triad's decision to split up 20th Century Fox:

If anything the more likely scenario is that Triad buys out TriStar at some point.
I know the timeline. It's still convoluted.

And Disney didn't do the same thing. Disney bought 20th Century Fox, realized there was brand confusion because Murdoch still owned a lot of Fox-branded property, and dropped the Fox part accordingly and kept everything else including the logos.

The idea was that the dinosaurs were left over from pre-Simian Flu, had, somehow, escaped Nublar/Sorna and ended up on the American mainland - basically, I accidentally predicted the end of JW: FK...

The apes would tame the dinosaurs and end up sort-of domesticating them - however, Koba plans a coup, leading to an Ape Civil War. The original final battle had Caesar riding Rexy vs. Koba on the Spinosaurus, which was quickly changed to the Indominus rex when Jurassic World came out.

Last edited:
The idea was that the dinosaurs were left over from pre-Simian Flu, had, somehow, escaped Nublar/Sorna and ended up on the American mainland - basically, I accidentally predicted the end of JW: FK...

The apes would tame the dinosaurs and end up sort-of domesticating them - however, Koba plans a coup, leading to an Ape Civil War. The original final battle had Caesar riding Rexy vs. Koba on the Spinosaurus, which was quickly changed to the Indominus rex when Jurassic World came out.
That could work! Have you thought of posting it in the crossover universe ideas?

And Disney didn't do the same thing. Disney bought 20th Century Fox, realized there was brand confusion because Murdoch still owned a lot of Fox-branded property, and dropped the Fox part accordingly and kept everything else including the logos.
There's nothing stopping Triad from splitting 20th Century Fox into two separate labels and still keeping the recognized logos for each:
dapvwan-2d5c970b-133c-4736-b866-6fcbccc7e1b5.png

AAUvwnjIvUj7joFNhfahia4BVCSzbdjdn75JHdAPC9eTtj0=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

PNWKing

Banned
I like how the name "Wayne Brady" showed up in this, and then you had to disclaim that it was in fact THAT Wayne Brady. Hmmm, maybe Henson starts production on a project in Britain soon and catches a certain show on the BBC, decides to make an American remake, and remembers this young theme park performer that he saw once at the park and realizes is perfect for an American version of this show.

I like how the name "Wayne Brady" showed up in this, and then you had to disclaim that it was in fact THAT Wayne Brady. Hmmm, maybe Henson starts production on a project in Britain soon and catches a certain show on the BBC, decides to make an American remake, and remembers this young theme park performer that he saw once at the park and realizes is perfect for an American version of this show.
Whose Line's American remake created by a Henson relative in the timeline where Jim runs Disney?

I would absolutely love that, and you can't stop me from wanting this.

Plus, Colin Mochrie, or however you spell his last name, as a potential Disney Legend. That is all.

Ok, all, back from a week of limited connectivity! Next post is tomorrow.

Yes. Please do this! While you're at it, can you give that part of the transcript its own chapter?
No promises there. It hurts my brain to think of the possibilities
While I'm not completely happy with it but this is my best effort of creating a pic of Samantha Smith as Leslie Crusher:
deo11mp-5c3b5fb2-4c2e-4eb3-ac0e-262b354470f8.png
Not bad, actually. Probably close to Season 1 Leslie there.

Question for Geekhis: how is the Australian films notably doing? The Australian New Wave is at its tail end, but you probably wouldn't mind a backtracking interquel instalment, and any aussies could help writing it.
Egads, no real idea. If I get the time I'll look into it. Any volunteers?

*EDIT* I've looked into this. Some of this is still in this TL, e.g. Crocodile Dundee and Mad Max. I haven't dug much deeper. Yahoo Serious would probably have still made Young Einstein (looks like an obsession at play there). Can't speak to any butterflies within the industry itself.

Where is everyone?!
Work travel in my case.

A question movie goers during this time period would be asking if he was seen. Though, I guess Look Who's Talking did just come out.
I forget if that movie happens or not. If it did it would be a Hollywood Pictures film, most likely. If not HP, then probably not Travolta ("undervalued actor" is part of the Eisner Formula).

I know the timeline. It's still convoluted.

Honestly, you're right. It absolutely is convoluted. It's absolutely supposed to be. Not everything I do is supposed to totally make sense. The "logic" is that Triad is trying to expand their market with a "new" (actually really old) brand. So they split 20th and Fox back apart (they began as separate studios way back in the day) and made one a "for kids" brand. Would it have been better to just create a new label? Probably. But someone on the board felt that "Fox" was a child-friendly name ("Like Aesop!"). Tri-Star suing them? Again, not really worth the legal fees in my opinion, just egos getting involved, and trying to fight it wasn't worth the legal fees either, hence Triad settling out of court just to put an end to it all. Lord knows I've seen stupider corporate lawsuits iOTL.

Gulf+Western actually tried to buy 20th C Fox iOTL, but failed. That seemed like a rather unwieldy merger to me (so does Disney/Fox, actually, and I'm curious how they're going to make that work just from an administrative standpoint), so part of the fun for me was figuring out what to do with this lumbering giant, and dividing it into three parts makes sense from a certain corporate management standpoint. Room to grow both studios, or so I saw the corporate leadership thinking.

As a bit of a peek behind the curtain, I like a little chaos. So I have studios make a few convoluted buys and reorganizations. Did Disney really need the MGM brand? No, and see Bernie's frustrations in trying to "rebuild" a brand just as Hyperion was gaining international recognition in the earlier post. Part of it was honestly opportunistic on Disney's part rather than a part of a well-thought-out long term corporate growth strategy. Turner trying to buy up MGM in its entirety after just gobbling up CBS was borderline idiotic, and it cost him dearly. But Turner did something similar in OTL, and it cost him dearly there. Snagging Columbia was better thought out, but he's still in the midst of some serious growing pains making his "Gran Columbia" work, so stay tuned through the 1990s as The Mouth from the South tries to chew on the big bites that he took in the 1980s.

Your mileage may vary, of course. And that's great. Respectful disagreement is always welcome here and you stated your opinions totally respectfully, and I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Hope you had a good trip @Geekhis Khan

As you are not writing a utopia then I can see the Corporations making errors and risky judgements- some might work out for them some simply will not. That's life!

Looking forward to the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.