Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, you're right. It absolutely is convoluted. It's absolutely supposed to be. Not everything I do is supposed to totally make sense. The "logic" is that Triad is trying to expand their market with a "new" (actually really old) brand. So they split 20th and Fox back apart (they began as separate studios way back in the day) and made one a "for kids" brand. Would it have been better to just create a new label? Probably. But someone on the board felt that "Fox" was a child-friendly name ("Like Aesop!"). Tri-Star suing them? Again, not really worth the legal fees in my opinion, just egos getting involved, and trying to fight it wasn't worth the legal fees either, hence Triad settling out of court just to put an end to it all. Lord knows I've seen stupider corporate lawsuits iOTL.

Gulf+Western actually tried to buy 20th C Fox iOTL, but failed. That seemed like a rather unwieldy merger to me (so does Disney/Fox, actually, and I'm curious how they're going to make that work just from an administrative standpoint), so part of the fun for me was figuring out what to do with this lumbering giant, and dividing it into three parts makes sense from a certain corporate management standpoint. Room to grow both studios, or so I saw the corporate leadership thinking.

As a bit of a peek behind the curtain, I like a little chaos. So I have studios make a few convoluted buys and reorganizations. Did Disney really need the MGM brand? No, and see Bernie's frustrations in trying to "rebuild" a brand just as Hyperion was gaining international recognition in the earlier post. Part of it was honestly opportunistic on Disney's part rather than a part of a well-thought-out long term corporate growth strategy. Turner trying to buy up MGM in its entirety after just gobbling up CBS was borderline idiotic, and it cost him dearly. But Turner did something similar in OTL, and it cost him dearly there. Snagging Columbia was better thought out, but he's still in the midst of some serious growing pains making his "Gran Columbia" work, so stay tuned through the 1990s as The Mouth from the South tries to chew on the big bites that he took in the 1980s.

Your mileage may vary, of course. And that's great. Respectful disagreement is always welcome here and you stated your opinions totally respectfully, and I appreciate that.
I think part of it is just that part of my brain that loves synergizing stuff that revolts against the concept of Triad. I know Fox was a target of Gulf at the time (Greed is Good) and I also wonder how it might have shook out (I doubt even they had a concrete proposal). It's just kind of the opposite of Columbia and CBS reuniting, or Turner (Ohio-born) getting Hanna Barbara, which was once owned by Taft (Ohio-based). It's that glitch in the matrix that just doesn't quite land right. Warner at least has First National Pictures as a similar callback to splitting 20th Century and Fox while not impacting the concept of Warner at the same time, for example.

The Disney-MGM one wasn't quite the same for me, since it felt a lot like how TriStar launched with three co-owners only to wind up getting folded into Sony. It had that '1980s, corporate shenanigans are a happening' vibe to it that felt logical within the context of the times. Looking back at OTL in part due to your and other timelines on Disney, it's actually amazing how many companies sold, shut down, changed leadership or had something else happen to them within one to two years of each other almost every decade. RKO might shut down, MGM might throw out Mayer, etc....

Though you do have me piqued with that Gran Columbia line. That's certainly one way to add some fresh luster to ol' CBS. :p

PNWKing

Banned
or Turner (Ohio-born) getting Hanna Barbara, which was once owned by Taft (Ohio-based).
That actually happened IOTL. In fact Hanna-Barbara produced the original Cartoon Network cartoons, and World Premiere Cartoons for Cartoon Network.

Henson Bio XVIII: Henson's Folly?
Chapter 17: Renaissance Man
Excerpt from Jim Henson: Storyteller, an authorized biography by Jay O’Brian

The brush with death had affected Jim Henson in a profound and seemingly contradictory way. On one hand this memento mori reinforced his fears that there would never be enough time to accomplish all that he set out to do, a fear that had chewed at him since the untimely passing of his older brother Paul in 1956. Ever since that tragic moment, this fear of never having enough time had lingered, always in the background, always driving him forward. The brush with death had only served to emphasize that feeling. And yet, on the other hand, a sense of calm and acceptance had come over him with the death scare. His time was limited, and he could finally accept that. Rather than push constantly forward, Jim would take his son John’s advice and try to live in the moment. He’d be moving ever forward, getting things done, but also trying not to dwell on what might not get done, just learning to accept what he could do.

And increasingly, this meant pursuing passion projects and working for the art, taking Roy Disney’s “putting the dream before the scheme” philosophy and putting it into action. Even before his infection he’d put out four “passion” movies. The first of these was Musicana, a passion project for Jim and Roy alike and the “third” WED Signature Series animation to be released. Following an over 10 year on-and-off development, Musicana finally came out in its entirety in May of 1990, just a few months before the release of the “fourth” WED Signature animation, Maus. Musicana was an artistic triumph, but a financial dud. The release ultimately netted $55 million against an estimated $37 million total budget, though the long, complicated, and nonconsecutive production made it hard to determine a true cost. Similarly, it’s impossible to determine how much, if any, the release of the Musicana Shorts ahead of other films added to those film’s revenues, or if they even did. While the project would net only a very modest profit at the box office once advertising and distribution costs were accounted for, the film gained near universal acclaim from critics and awards academies alike, and was nominated for the new Oscar category of Best Animated Feature, losing out to Maus. VHS and VCD sales would make an additional $58 million the year of release (and more in the following years), making for a moderately profitable title, but like its predecessor Fantasia, it would be a case of art winning out over finance.

Maus, Bernie Brillstein’s passion project and by extension Jim’s, made a surprising $36 million against a modest $16 million budget, but all of its roughly $14 million in profit went to the National Holocaust Museum fund, which was great by Jim, Bernie, and executive producer Steve Spielberg’s standards, but some of the shareholders were annoyed by this. Those same shareholders, of course, grew irate when The Song of Susan, made under similar all-for-charity pretenses, broke $150 million at the box office, with all of it going to AIDS research. Mort, his own personal passion project and the last of the “3 M’s” of 1990, had been a big success when it launched in November of 1990, ultimately breaking $180 million internationally and helping to salvage the reputation of his judgement as a creative head somewhat, which was unfairly taking a beating following the Susan “debacle”. Still, though, it underperformed compared to expectations.

But these were just a handful of the productions he oversaw. He oversaw (and was invited to tell his own story) in a Sesame Street special about going to the doctor and dentist. “Even grownups can be afraid to go to the doctor, but it can be really important[1],” Jim famously told a scared Elmo, with Kermit (Jim) backing him up. Under his leadership Walt Disney Studios continued to crank out educational and child friendly fare, Fantasia Films remained the place for unusual, fantasy, and science fiction stories, and Hyperion Pictures remained the go-to label for adult comedies and other adult contemporary pictures. It was getting so busy that he permanently handed off hosting duties of Disney’s World of Magic to Roy Disney, who’d increasingly been filling in for him anyway. Roy revamped it, returning to the older name of The Wonderful World of Disney. It was a bittersweet passing of the torch.

But for all the many irons in the fire, the MGM name was the “big deal” at Disney now, and would be the focus of much of the board’s efforts at expanding the company and revitalizing the MGM brand. MGM was where “big” films went: big epics, dramas, Oscar bait, perhaps a musical someday assuming they ever came back into style. And so far, almost all of the productions under the MGM name, be they epic fantasies like Willow (which could have just as easily gone to Fantasia) or an Oscar-darling drama like The Song of Susan, had been hits with audiences. And for his next plan Jim wanted to bridge the gap between the epic and the drama: a visually stunning fantasy that also addressed serious issues with major consequences. He found this in the Barry Levinson script Toys.

Toys_poster.jpg

Jim was utterly enamored with the concept of a Wonka-esque toy maker facing the dilemma of not just making war toys, but of turning violent video games into real weapons and (in a possible nod to Ender’s Game) turning unwitting children into mercenary killers. Watching the footage of the “smart bombs” blowing up buildings and vehicles in Iraq, the blood and carnage reduced to a sterile bright white “smear” of heat in the infrared camera, exposed the premise as all too real. Actor Robin Williams was jumping at the chance to play the lead, and in exchange gladly signed on to voice the Genies of the Lamp and Ring in Aladdin, something that the animators had been pressing for[2]. Though Levinson initially expressed interest in directing as well as producing, Terry Gilliam ultimately signed on to direct after seeing the brilliance of the planned visuals by Italian designer Ferdinando Scarfiotti, which were inspired by the work of surrealist artist Rene Magritte. Danny Elfman composed the score, giving it a wistful, flowing legato rather unlike the bouncy staccato generally associated with his work.

toys.jpg

(Image source “oneperfectshot.wordpress.com”)

The biggest obstacle to the film going into production was actually MGM vice-chair and Jim’s old friend Bernie Brillstein, who hated the script. “It’s crap, Jim,” he said. Jim was ok with the script for the most part, and Levinson himself was imminently proud of the work and saw no need for changes, but Jim trusted Bernie on such matters. So, Jim brought in his “heavy caliber weapons” as antagonist General Leland Zevo might have put it: Diana Birkenfield. Diana was blunt to the point of rudeness when she felt it was needed, and not one to be bullied. She’d also been around long enough to know all of the passive aggressive tricks and backstabbing that could be used to undermine her authority. Jim made her the executive producer and empowered her to make this film into a masterpiece. She brought in Lawrence Kasdan to tighten up the meandering script and brought in wunderkind Joss Whedon to punch up the dialog, striking the right balance, the production team felt, between sincere and cynical. Whedon and Williams in particular had a great rapport and soon had a character that was childlike without being childish in the protagonist Leslie Zevo. It was coming together so well that Jim and Imagineer Tony Baxter initiated the design of a Toys-based immersive walk-through attraction. The film was given a $40 million budget and put into motion.

TMDf.gif

(Image source “giffer.com”)

The Toys sets soon took over the new Studio 4 at the expanded Disney lot in Burbank, turning the stage into a massive maze of bizarre and surreal funhouse worlds that Jim found he loved just walking through. Production soon went off the rails, though, between Gilliam’s perfectionism, Williams’s improvising and on-set antics, and technical challenges with the many complex practical sets. Loud battles over often piddling details between Levinson and Birkenfield disrupted production. Principal photography dragged beyond the allotted schedule. The budget swelled to $45 million and then $50 million.

toys281mc.2269.jpg

(Image source “imcdb.com”)

Rumors of the troubled production and runaway budget circulated among the gossip magazines. Industry insiders began to wonder out loud if this was going to be Disney’s first big flop in a long time. Some started preemptively calling it “Henson’s Folly”.

But Jim wasn’t listening to the naysayers. He knew that he had a winner, a meaningful production that spoke far louder than any safe bet film ever could. The public knew quality and reacted viscerally to it. He vowed to prove the naysayers wrong.

[1] Hat tip to @Pesterfield.

[2] In our timeline Toys was released by 20th Century Fox and Williams only agreed to voice the Genie if Disney didn’t use him as advertising for the animated feature, hoping not to draw attention away from his passion projects of Ferngully and Toys. As such, he worked at scale rather than ask for his typical $8 million fee. Disney soon advertised Williams and his likeness anyway, leading to a long and ugly feud. Here, Disney is producing both films, so the conflict is not there as much, and the result is a two-picture deal at a negotiated cost and no hard feelings.

I am glad Jim is learning to live in the ‘now’ And managed to get his passion movies off the bat.

Like it progenitor Musicana was never going to be a blockbuster, but I bet it’s one that goes on and on making small but significant sums simply cos it’s good. Bet ITTL me saw it cos I like Fantasia loads.

As soon as I started reading about Toys, my ‘not going to work’ alarm was going off.… Brillstein might be right here.

At least they got Williams for Aladdin!

Waiting eager for pt 2 on this @Geekhis Khan - Wonder if it will be from Brillstein’s perspective?

Edit: it is also possible Toys pulls a Titanic and makes buckets at the box office and @Geekhis Khan is selling us a red herring in the entries tone…

Last edited:
It's Stanley Kubrick doing his own darker take on American Graffiti, a flim directed by one of his friends. If anyone can make this work, its him.

Plus, it helps that the movie starts with the teen Setsuko dying in a motorcycle crash and being visited by the spirit of her younger-older brother.
With regards to this, set it in the early 1960s, so this song can be the ending song (it was released in 1961 in Japan and was #1, before being released internationally and becoming #1 in several countries, so setting it in 1961-1962 would fit):

On a side note, RIP, Kyu Sakamoto, one of the 520 victims of the worst single-plane crash of all time, Japan Air Lines Flight 123 (on a side note, don't listen to the CVR from that flight--it is terrifying; OTOH, the pilots fought right to the end to try and save the plane (1))...

(1) It should be noted that, when this flight was reenacted in a flight simulator, none of the simulations were able to keep the plane in the air as long as the pilots of JAL 123 did (for 32 minutes--long enough for some of the passengers to write goodbye notes, including Sakamoto)...

Last edited:
I was wondering when Toys would be coming up, and I was not disappointed.
Rumors of the troubled production and runaway budget circulated among the gossip magazines. Industry insiders began to wonder out loud if this was going to be Disney’s first big flop in a long time. Some started preemptively calling it “Henson’s Folly”.

But Jim wasn’t listening to the naysayers. He knew that he had a winner, a meaningful production that spoke far louder than any safe bet film ever could. The public knew quality and reacted viscerally to it. He vowed to prove the naysayers wrong.
Aaannnd it relatively underperforms or does flop as IOTL. Jim gets humbled, moving on.
I'm just glad Jim is still going good.
and in exchange gladly signed on to voice the Genies of the Lamp and Ring in Aladdin, something that the animators had been pressing for[2].
Who doesn't love snippets like these?

General narrative convention is that when you put a question mark in the title, the answer to the question is almost always "no". But is this work bound by such mere convention? And of course just because it is not Henson's folly doesn't mean Toys is actually a success.

As has been suggested, a box office under-perform looks likely, but perhaps enough of a cult classic that it becomes appreciated in the future even if it never makes any money. I sort of hope not, an outright failure might do Jim a bit of good. Just like the rest of the board a bit of hubris is sneaking in, if it's not checked that attitude always leads to disaster eventually, better 'just' a $50million movie flops than something a lot more serious

I was wondering when Toys would be coming up, and I was not disappointed.

Aaannnd it relatively underperforms or does flop as IOTL. Jim gets humbled, moving on.
I'm just glad Jim is still going good.

Who doesn't love snippets like these?
I prefer that a seperate actress play the Genie of the Ring but you do you, dude.

But these were just a handful of the productions he oversaw. He oversaw (and was invited to tell his own story) in a Sesame Street special about going to the doctor and dentist. “Even grownups can be afraid to go to the doctor, but it can be really important[1],” Jim famously told a scared Elmo, with Kermit (Jim) backing him up.
Since Jim and Kermit will be on set together, and that Jim was never a ventriloquist, I imagine there's going to be some clever framing and combining 'Jim takes' and 'Kermit takes' into a single result, letting creator and creation interact "organically". Most people wouldn't know anything special was happening unless they realized you can see both of Jim's hands the whole time.

I think part of it is just that part of my brain that loves synergizing stuff that revolts against the concept of Triad. I know Fox was a target of Gulf at the time (Greed is Good) and I also wonder how it might have shook out (I doubt even they had a concrete proposal). It's just kind of the opposite of Columbia and CBS reuniting, or Turner (Ohio-born) getting Hanna Barbara, which was once owned by Taft (Ohio-based). It's that glitch in the matrix that just doesn't quite land right. Warner at least has First National Pictures as a similar callback to splitting 20th Century and Fox while not impacting the concept of Warner at the same time, for example.

The Disney-MGM one wasn't quite the same for me, since it felt a lot like how TriStar launched with three co-owners only to wind up getting folded into Sony. It had that '1980s, corporate shenanigans are a happening' vibe to it that felt logical within the context of the times. Looking back at OTL in part due to your and other timelines on Disney, it's actually amazing how many companies sold, shut down, changed leadership or had something else happen to them within one to two years of each other almost every decade. RKO might shut down, MGM might throw out Mayer, etc....

Though you do have me piqued with that Gran Columbia line. That's certainly one way to add some fresh luster to ol' CBS. :p
Yea, I get you. It's always strange the associations that we make. Ironically Columbia Pictures and Columbia Broadcasting were never the same company, though Viacom was once part of CBS and later they remerged iOTL, but not yet iTTL. I literally came up with "Gran Columbia" for the post. Anything to it? We'll see.

General narrative convention is that when you put a question mark in the title, the answer to the question is almost always "no". But is this work bound by such mere convention? And of course just because it is not Henson's folly doesn't mean Toys is actually a success.

As has been suggested, a box office under-perform looks likely, but perhaps enough of a cult classic that it becomes appreciated in the future even if it never makes any money. I sort of hope not, an outright failure might do Jim a bit of good. Just like the rest of the board a bit of hubris is sneaking in, if it's not checked that attitude always leads to disaster eventually, better 'just' a $50million movie flops than something a lot more serious
Perhaps I suspected that there'd be that reaction to the question mark, so it's a red herring. Or perhaps I suspected that you'd suspect that red herring, and it's a triple-misdirection. But you probably suspected that I'd suspect that. Which begs the question did I suspect that you'd suspect that I suspected the suspected suspicion? Well, what do you expect?

Since Jim and Kermit will be on set together, and that Jim was never a ventriloquist, I imagine there's going to be some clever framing and combining 'Jim takes' and 'Kermit takes' into a single result, letting creator and creation interact "organically". Most people wouldn't know anything special was happening unless they realized you can see both of Jim's hands the whole time.
That sounds about right. Of course one of the amazing things about Jim was that you could see his lips move and still swear that the frog was talking and a separate entity.

I literally came up with "Gran Columbia" for the post. Anything to it? We'll see.
Instead of the informal "Gran Columbia" I could honestly see Grand Columbia becoming a thing an official name.
This sounds like it should be a good idea, especially if they can imagine how far drones will go.
If that's the plot though why have Zevo a physical toy maker instead of focused on video "games"?
I take you never watched Toys, General Zevo kinda becomes a Toyman like villain when he realized the military potential of both toy and video games.

The brush with death had affected Jim Henson in a profound and seemingly contradictory way. On one hand this memento mori reinforced his fears that there would never be enough time to accomplish all that he set out to do, a fear that had chewed at him since the untimely passing of his older brother Paul in 1956. Ever since that tragic moment, this fear of never having enough time had lingered, always in the background, always driving him forward. The brush with death had only served to emphasize that feeling. And yet, on the other hand, a sense of calm and acceptance had come over him with the death scare. His time was limited, and he could finally accept that. Rather than push constantly forward, Jim would take his son John’s advice and try to live in the moment. He’d be moving ever forward, getting things done, but also trying not to dwell on what might not get done, just learning to accept what he could do.
I'm glad that this went the way that I hoped with Jim's near-death experience. I was worried that he was going to seriously go down the path where he became even more neurotic and paranoid about his own death to the point of seriously overworking himself. Even though he's still a workaholic and just as intensely passionate about his projects, this is a far healthier arrangement for him than before. Maybe he'll relax once he becomes even more hands off with the creative processes in Entertainment?

As for Disney, it'll be interesting to see how this will affect the company culture compared to OTL. Really seems that Jim and Roy will engineer the company towards creative freedom instead of pure profitability, even more so than Eisner at the time. I suspect that Toys won't be a huge success (although it being a red herring is possibility as others said thanks to the ending), but even if it was, that won't stop the both of them from pursuing that kind of dream. Disney may make a lot less money compared to its OTL counterpart but it'll be a much more respected company with their artsy films and bold animated work (better than soulless cash grabs!).

It really is bittersweet that World of Magic was left at the hands of Roy. Of course, he is probably the next best thing compared to Jim. Not to mention, he is a Disney, so seeing him host the show reminds me of Walt's original episodes. Still, hopefully we'll get to see Jim again at the show after a long while.

I do actually want Toys to succeed, if only to have a film with so much passion and hard work be rewarded for such efforts (plus I like the premise from reading it along with the alterations). Not to mention, feeding Jim's ego with a success will only mean a failure will hurt him a lot more in the future, like say....A Tale of Sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.