Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Random question, that's probably far removed from your attention and all sense: Who was Stephen Douglas's running mate in IOTL's 1860 election? I just searched through the thread again and couldn't find it.

That's right, but i'm not sure if Douglas's National Unionists would muster up a decently big name like Johnson, or if the Governor would even accept to join what was essentially a Northern splinter.

I wonder how Orion Clemens' career will develop ITTL? Perhaps, if he's successful enough, he might inspire his younger brother Samuel to go to politics as well...

I feel really bad about my inability to write anything during the last two months (has it really been that long?). Right now school, my job and my preoccupations regarding my house's renovation take up most of my time. Besides, my country's elections and all that. Ultimately this is a hobby and I'm not willing to sacrifice my real life for it, but it's a hobby I really enjoy. I love writing and I love history, and I love this TL. I'm committed to finishing it no matter what, but this hiatus may last for a couple of weeks more. I'm really sorry, and I hope you all can understand.

Reading about history, and you'll learn building ethnostates based on race or religion is never, ever a solution to social and economic problems.

Liberia was created to be a haven for freed slaves...and in a short amount of time, those freed slaves enslaved native-born Africans.

Pakistan was created as a haven for Subcontinent Muslims, and it has become a diet-Taliban madhouse.

Building a black ethnostate would not guarantee propserity for black people, and the leaders of those states could easily become nasty tyrants themselves.
An interesting possibility not many have considered is the possibility of the Black community being permanently divided along class and color lines. I know colorism still exists, but ultimately the racism and violence of the White South forced the educated mulatto elite and the poor freedmen to close ranks in the hopes of obtaining any recognition of their rights. A more successful reconstruction could result, ironically enough, in a more divided Black community. In special, the gens de couleur of New Orlens may survive as a completely separate group, with a different identity and concerns.

Ok, the discussion of where to relocate freed slaves reminded me of a comment I read a while back, and after looking for sources I found this report on Wetland drainage in the US.

https://water.usgs.gov/nwsum/WSP2425/history.html

Basically there is a large amount of swampland and the like along the Mississippi river and its tributaries, and in the period after the Civil War IOTL these swamps were drained and converted into farmland, and according to the report there are a few key areas where this occurred in the post-war South:

The two important ones for this idea are bolded.

So, what if, in the aftermath of the Civil War, there is a large scale series of improvements along the Lower Mississippi that convert these wetlands into farmland, with the labor being seen as a way to provide Freed slaves with a source of income that will, once the project is complete, also give them farmlands of their own that, importantly from the perspective of racist whites in the north who dislike slavery but don't want black neighbors and the politicians they vote for, keeps them in the south.

According to Wikipedia, Louisiana was at 46.9% slave in 1860, would this program soaking up freed slaves from other states produce a small majority for the black population in the state?

Arkansas is at 25.5%, so no go in making it majority black unless the war kills a lot of southern whites, or a lot flee "black rule" or some combination of both

Mississippi is already 55.2% slave, so that makes it black majority already unless something truly horrible happens.

So really, in the end this project might only accomplish making one more state black majority, but in terms of ensuring a reconstruction that survives and giving blacks influence at the federal level, that's not nothing.
I can see Republicans following plans like this one. After all, most of them were Whiggish advocates of internal improvements. A really interesting possibility. Thanks for sharing!

Lincoln tried that in OTL. The Senate told him to get bent.
Do you have any more information about this? I have never heard of this event!

Random question, that's probably far removed from your attention and all sense: Who was Stephen Douglas's running mate in IOTL's 1860 election? I just searched through the thread again and couldn't find it.
I actually never considered that since Douglas was so wounded by Lecompton that he basically ran a feeble campaign without any opportunities to win. I think he likely tried to get a Southerner to boost his campaign, but they were more reluctant to back him because he's the breakaway now. Instead he had to settle for a no-name Border State unionist, something that probably didn't help his case of being the only national candidate.

I wonder how Orion Clemens' career will develop ITTL? Perhaps, if he's successful enough, he might inspire his younger brother Samuel to go to politics as well...
Plot twist: Mark Twain died in the guerrilla war when some marauders, angered by his attempt to desert from the Confederate army, murdered him.

(Just joking, I wouldn't dare).

Let's all nominate this TL for the Turtledoves, everyone! It sure deserves it!
Thank you! It's a great honor that this project is considered good enough to even enter the contest in the first place.

I feel really bad about my inability to write anything during the last two months (has it really been that long?). Right now school, my job and my preoccupations regarding my house's renovation take up most of my time. Besides, my country's elections and all that. Ultimately this is a hobby and I'm not willing to sacrifice my real life for it, but it's a hobby I really enjoy. I love writing and I love history, and I love this TL. I'm committed to finishing it no matter what, but this hiatus may last for a couple of weeks more. I'm really sorry, and I hope you all can understand.

An interesting possibility not many have considered is the possibility of the Black community being permanently divided along class and color lines. I know colorism still exists, but ultimately the racism and violence of the White South forced the educated mulatto elite and the poor freedmen to close ranks in the hopes of obtaining any recognition of their rights. A more successful reconstruction could result, ironically enough, in a more divided Black community. In special, the gens de couleur of New Orlens may survive as a completely separate group, with a different identity and concerns.

I don't think the "Gens De Couleur Libres" could really survive if TTL, anglicization still occurs in Louisiana.

As more Anglo people migrated to Louisiana, a lot of French-culture got suppressed.

That's why Cajuns were forced into the underground until late in the 20th century.

I feel really bad about my inability to write anything during the last two months (has it really been that long?).
We all realize that you gotta take care of real life first (even if we are a little impatient sometimes ...) :p

I really appreciate that you are posting every once in a while if only to say "on hiatus, back as soon as I can". Thank you for doing that!

I actually never considered that since Douglas was so wounded by Lecompton that he basically ran a feeble campaign without any opportunities to win. I think he likely tried to get a Southerner to boost his campaign, but they were more reluctant to back him because he's the breakaway now. Instead he had to settle for a no-name Border State unionist, something that probably didn't help his case of being the only national candidate..

I think you were technically allowed to run without one back then, I think Van Buren did in 1840. If he did it might have been nicely symbolic of his thoughts that only he could unite the country and he couldn't even find a running mate who could. And perhaps symbolize for voters that he really didn't stand a chance even if elected.

Hey, take all the time you need. Real life takes precedent over everything else.
Yes, I know. Just wanted to give you all a heads up, so that you won't think I've abandoned it.

I don't think the "Gens De Couleur Libres" could really survive if TTL, anglicization still occurs in Louisiana.

As more Anglo people migrated to Louisiana, a lot of French-culture got suppressed.

That's why Cajuns were forced into the underground until late in the 20th century.
Perhaps not in the long run, but they could play an important part in Reconstruction if the Union does away with rebels and accepts Black suffrage. They would be the natural leaders of the Black community in that scenario, and the fact that many radical newspapers were published in French by them could assure greater influence that could be felt well into the 20th century.

We all realize that you gotta take care of real life first (even if we are a little impatient sometimes ...) :p

I really appreciate that you are posting every once in a while if only to say "on hiatus, back as soon as I can". Thank you for doing that!
You're welcome! That's my main objective, really. I know the frustration of an author just disappearing without saying anything, and wanted to reassure all of you.

I think you were technically allowed to run without one back then, I think Van Buren did in 1840. If he did it might have been nicely symbolic of his thoughts that only he could unite the country and he couldn't even find a running mate who could. And perhaps symbolize for voters that he really didn't stand a chance even if elected.
Maybe, but I still think Douglas would have frantically looked for any Southerner to be his running mate in a vain attempt to paint himself as the national candidate.

Voting for the Turtledoves has started, and my TL has been nominated once again! There is some stiff competition, including some favorites of mine like @Iggies The Glowing Dream and @minifidel A New World Wreated in Freedom, but Until Every Drop of Blood is Paid is second place and real close to the current frontrunner. I would really appreciate it if you could go to the thread and vote for me! This is a project on which I've dropped a lot of effort and that I hold close to my heart. Winning a turtledove would simply be great. So please, consider voting for this TL.

Voting for the Turtledoves has started, and my TL has been nominated once again! There is some stiff competition, including some favorites of mine like @Iggies The Glowing Dream and @minifidel A New World Wreated in Freedom, but Until Every Drop of Blood is Paid is second place and real close to the current frontrunner. I would really appreciate it if you could go to the thread and vote for me! This is a project on which I've dropped a lot of effort and that I hold close to my heart. Winning a turtledove would simply be great. So please, consider voting for this TL.

I appreciate the shoutout, and want to weigh in to encourage y'all to vote for Red's TL, as it is one of the best stories on this site! A New World Wreathed in Freedom would not exist if not for your timeline which was an immense inspiration for me! It deserves every plaudit and I expected nothing less than to see it competing for 1st in the polls.

Mark Twain not only had an older brother......
but his name was ORION?!

From what I understand he died sometime after the war. Like Twain he had worked on Steamboats and on his boat their was an accident resulting in the boiler exploding. Orion survived the initial catastrophe but was horrifically scalded and ended up dying after days of agony.

Twain always blamed himself for his brother's death.

Or I could be thinking of the wrong brother and Orion was the one who ended up getting a pretty good civil servant job in the government of the territory of Nevada.

From what I understand he died sometime after the war. Like Twain he had worked on Steamboats and on his boat their was an accident resulting in the boiler exploding. Orion survived the initial catastrophe but was horrifically scalded and ended up dying after days of agony.

Twain always blamed himself for his brother's death.

Or I could be thinking of the wrong brother and Orion was the one who ended up getting a pretty good civil servant job in the government of the territory of Nevada.
no, Orion was the one who ended up in Nevada.

marktaha

Banned
"Put an underdog on top and it makes no difference whether his name is Russian, Jewish, Negro, Management, Labor, Mormon, Baptist he goes haywire. I've found very, very few who remember their past condition when prosperity comes."-Harry Truman.
One of my favourite Presidents .