Status
Not open for further replies.
...and the subsequent capture not only of Grand Duke Nicholas, head of the Danube Army, but also Tsar Alexander II himself, who was there in a pavilion with his brother to observe the siege.

Well… If this was a game or a quest, looks like the Russians rolled a natural 1 in that turn.

Grand Duke Nicholas: “Whatever was happening out there, it surely has already ended.”

Tsar Alexander II: “Someone is coming, we will be getting soon an explanation for that disturbance- You there! What is this, dressing as a Turk? Battle is no time for costume parties! Is this some kind of joke?”

Osman Pasha: “Well, not a joke exactly… But you are really going to find it funny when I explain it to you.”

And it seems there are going to be consequences. Russia focusing inwards and eastwards… Things won’t ever be the same now.

Well… If this was a game or a quest, looks like the Russians rolled a natural 1 in that turn.

Grand Duke Nicholas: “Whatever was happening out there, it surely has already ended.”

Tsar Alexander II: “Someone is coming, we will be getting soon an explanation for that disturbance- You there! What is this, dressing as a Turk? Battle is no time for costume parties! Is this some kind of joke?”

Osman Pasha: “Well, not a joke exactly… But you are really going to find it funny when I explain it to you.”

And it seems there are going to be consequences. Russia focusing inwards and eastwards… Things won’t ever be the same now.

Ahaha that little dialogue is *really* funny. Well done!

Ireland Unfree
"...Britain's sluggish defeat in South Africa led to the Brotherhood wondering if perhaps this war their hour, and so in the shadow of the Crown's embarrassment on the other side of the world, the Irish Land War kicked off that autumn. As 1877 drew to a close, the agitation by tenant farmers against their English landlords was reaching a crescendo, and even the deployment of the British Army to the rolling emerald green hills of Eire [1] to force the peasantry back to their land failed to quell the unrest..."

- Ireland Unfree

[1] Decided to make this textbook pretty bluntly biased

This concludes Cinco de Mayo Part III: An Age of Questions

Please leave your thoughts, ideas, feedback, critiques, predictions, jokes, hot takes and memes in the comments! I love to hear from my readers :)

Still worked well, we going to see even more Fennians now?

More or less. The massive crackdown on Ireland in the late 1860s after Prince Alfred's assassination scoots up some of the later Irish agitations by a few decades, basically, radicalizing everyone on both sides. The reactionary Cabinet in the 1870s rather than Gladstone doesn't help matters either.

On a website chock full of Brit-Wanks I'm hyped to see a 19th Century Great Britain who is realistically portrayed as run by bumbling fools who can't get out of their own way.

Part IV: The Liberal Ascendancy
Part IV: The Liberal Ascendancy
"...if the 1860s were defined by nationalism and the redrawing of the world's maps, and the 1870s were defined by politics of reaction to the new political order and the Great Depression that consumed that decade, then the next two decades were defined by liberalism, prosperity and peace. Indeed, the period from the 1877-78 Conference of Berlin that ended the brief Russo-Turkish War to the crises of the early 1900s would mark almost exactly the most peaceful period in European and, frankly, global history, as expanding trade networks, more sophisticated industrial economies and the interconnectedness of every continent - even Antarctica! - led some world leaders to wonder if the age of war had ended entirely.

Of course, as reactionary governments and leaders gave way to reformists and dreamers, as universities became populated with the propagators of liberal nationalism [1] and populist measures, there were darker forces at play beneath the sunny surface of what would later be known as the Belle Epoque. Colonialism and imperialism were as exploitative as rampant laissez-faire capitalism; the politics of radicals, whether proponents of anarchism or communism, became ever further inflamed; and the crises of legitimacy and discontent as the modern era and modern technologies reshaped the world many times over only deepened and the challenges to the peaceful world order began to slowly, one by one, emerge until the pillars holding up the great liberal era of the late 19th century were riven with cracks..."

- Liberalism in the Old World and the New: A History (Mark Taylor, University of California-Berkeley, 1997)

[1] Nationalism was of course through WW1 more of a liberal ideology than a conservative one, as conservatives were more attached to monarchy/aristocracy

Last edited:
Brief request - I'm absolutely terrible making maps. Is anybody with mapmaking skills interested in creating a world map of the world of Cinco de Mayo as of 1878?

Eager to see how Maximilian and Co. in Habsburg Mexico manage to steer their way towards a new century! How will their relationship with their northern neighbors evolve? Will this stronger Mexico continue to jockey with the Anglo Americans for spheres of influence in Latin America outside of their immediate Central American neighbors? Perhaps a wee bit of conquest? And what of the looming oil boom? Will Mexico be able to get into *that* game early, considering the Empire's otl interest in it? Or will petroleum exploration be set on the back burner as Mexico historically did?

Eager to see how Maximilian and Co. in Habsburg Mexico manage to steer their way towards a new century! How will their relationship with their northern neighbors evolve? Will this stronger Mexico continue to jockey with the Anglo Americans for spheres of influence in Latin America outside of their immediate Central American neighbors? Perhaps a wee bit of conquest? And what of the looming oil boom? Will Mexico be able to get into *that* game early, considering the Empire's otl interest in it? Or will petroleum exploration be set on the back burner as Mexico historically did?

I'm definitely planning on having Mexican oil be exploited/explored earlier than OTL, though how much earlier I haven't quite decided. One thing I'm sort of back and forth on is how much of a "big stick" this alt-USA will carry without southern ports to deploy from into the Caribbean and Central America... I don't think it was by accident, after all, that United Fruit was headquartered in New Orleans, for example. Stay tuned, but I'll just say I have some decisions to make and soon on the US/CS/Mexico interrelationships in the Caribbean and Latin America

(Also - there's going to be some interesting interplay between the Anglo-Mexican consortium that has interests in the Tehuantepec Railroad and... "other" powers that might want a trans-isthmian crossing of their own, and how that affects Central America moving forward...)

So Longstreet will be president in the 1880s... time for some TL-191 shenanigans? I'd like a quick US/Confederate war, even if it's one of those "a couple of battles and invasion before the governments get their stuff together and stop the fighting"

So Longstreet will be president in the 1880s... time for some TL-191 shenanigans? I'd like a quick US/Confederate war, even if it's one of those "a couple of battles and invasion before the governments get their stuff together and stop the fighting"

IIRC it's been hinted at that the next time the USA and CSA fight a war ITTL is two generations after the War of Southern Independence (so maybe they're on opposite sides in an Alt-WW1?) and that the CSA is in for a rude awakening.

IIRC it's been hinted at that the next time the USA and CSA fight a war ITTL is two generations after the War of Southern Independence (so maybe they're on opposite sides in an Alt-WW1?) and that the CSA is in for a rude awakening.

Correct - the political classes of both countries have little interest in a war, and while there's no loved for the damned Yankee in the Confederacy, there's definitely a "to hell with them" attitude about the brothers down south within the Union. The countries aren't friends, but they have no immediate interest in being enemies.

XIXth: A Comprehensive History of the 1800s
"...there are years, such as 1815, 1848 and 1867 that seem plainly as they are occurring to be the kinds of years that fundamentally reshape history; 1878 was another kind, one that can be seen as a profoundly important annum only in hindsight, with the seeds that are sown in history's fertile soil [1]..."

- XIXth: A Comprehensive History of the 1800s

[1] Love me some purple prose

Cross and Crown: The Legacy of the Papacy in the Time of the Nation State
"...Pius IX would then pass a month later, leaving the two adversaries dead and the political situation in Italy unclear, bordering on potentially unstable. Upon receiving word of the pontiff's death from Malta, an anonymous cardinal in Rome was said to have quipped, in shockingly profane terms, "Vittorio Emanuele had to go to Hell before His Holiness would deign it time to allow himself to ascend to Heaven." [1]. Immediately, the question of the Maltese Thorn reared its head once again - would the next Pope be elected in Malta, as much of the ultramontanist bloc of cardinals who had joined Pius in exile preferred, or would the Roman Curia that had stayed in the Leonine City and worked for years to mend fences with the Italian Kingdom win out? The question had been addressed somewhat in the months before the Pontiff's passing, when it began to become clear he had little time left in this world, when a French delegation came to Malta to encourage the Church to consider returning to Rome, its proper seat, and accepting the Treaty of Privileges and Guarantees at long last.

The choice of successor to Pius IX made it clear that the Leonine Compromise would win out. Though the conclave was held on Malta - forever known as the Maltese Conclave in Church annals, the one and only - the cardinals selected the moderate camerlengo to Pius IX, Vincenzo Pecci, who had experience in the past as a diplomat and was viewed as the plain choice [2]. In the months ahead, Leo XIII, as he was known, would begin to work with the Italians to fully guarantee the Papal State rights within the Leonine City, and accepted the pressure of five powers to return to Rome - France and Austria, Catholic empires which wanted a solution to the problem and who underwrote the Leonine City's existence; Italy, which despite having a secular leftist government under Angelo Depretis in power wished the issue to go away so the constant feuding between liberals and conservatives in Parliament could end; Britain, where the Conservatives in power viewed the Maltese Thorn as a distraction to a number of more pressing foreign and domestic issues and the resurgent opposition Liberals were fiercely opposed to ultramontanism; and in Germany, where the Kulturkampf of Bismarck had turned the Bavarian and Wurttemburger bishops into ultramontanists and Berlin needed one less faultline between the dominant Prussian state and restive Catholic subjects..."

- Cross and Crown: The Legacy of the Papacy in the Time of the Nation State

[1] Yeah there's probably no way a cardinal would actually say this but whatever, I'm proud of myself for composing it
[2] Pecci's experience as camerlengo, age, diplomatic background and consensus stature makes him win out just like in OTL

[1] Love me some purple prose

Not bad! Although a biased source can certainly be more funny, like in Post 692.

“And then the stinking British slavers attempted to bite little Irish children with their rotting huge teeth, but where stopped in time by the heroic freedom fighters of Eternal Eire Reborn…”

EDIT - Ninja'd again!

Great updates as always!

Really interested in reading how things will go for both empires after the Russo-Ottoman War.

What's the current situation in Africa? (Besides the events in south Africa). There hasn't been a Berlin Conference analogue so far, right?

About Mexico, I'm glad that Tomas Mejía is rising to prominence. What has happened to people who were important in post-Juárez and Porfiriato Mexico OTL, like Sebastián Lerdo de Tejada, Manuel González or Bernardo Reyes?

Not bad! Although a biased source can certainly be more funny, like in Post 692.

“And then the stinking British slavers attempted to bite little Irish children with their rotting huge teeth, but where stopped in time by the heroic freedom fighters of Eternal Eire Reborn…”

EDIT - Ninja'd again!

Is that an excerpt from “A Modest History of Ireland” by Jonathan Swift? ;)

I just figured that lifting the title of the book from Padraig Pearse’s famous Easter Rebellion-inciting speech was already on the nose so why not go whole hog with it

Status
Not open for further replies.