Status
Not open for further replies.
At least was not a motorcard...and they all survived, poor Luis Maximiliano...hope that don't cost chances of royal matches with european princess

By the late 19th century, did princesses have any say in their matches? The medieval days were over but marriages were still fairly strategic.
Anyways I think having to relocate to *Mexico* is a bigger obstacle to quality matches than the badass eyepatch the kid is going to wear for the rest of his life (spoiler)

By the late 19th century, did princesses have any say in their matches? The medieval days were over but marriages were still fairly strategic.
Anyways I think having to relocate to *Mexico* is a bigger obstacle to quality matches than the badass eyepatch the kid is going to wear for the rest of his life (spoiler)
I think they've more of a say than before, males even more, Yeah Mexico with the distance from their families in europe, if you need someone would not object...i think the russian princess(wink wink) might not object the distance, even faith too

I think they've more of a say than before, males even more, Yeah Mexico with the distance from their families in europe, if you need someone would not object...i think the russian princess(wink wink) might not object the distance, even faith too

Thankfully we're a few years out from me needing to find the poor kid a proper match haha

The German on the Spanish Throne: The Reign of Leopold I
"...the announcement of the match between Napoleon IV and Infanta Maria del Pilar de Borbon in Paris - with the betrothed couple, her not even yet seventeen, announcing from the steps of the Tuileries their marriage to occur on her 18th birthday in a year's time [1] - was well received across France and indeed much of Europe, settling a domestic concern between Bonapartists and Legitimists by uniting the Bonaparte and Bourbon houses, the new France and the old, and leaving only the fairly miniscule Orleanist faction fuming. In Spain, however, Leopold took the news extremely poorly, for the future Empress's brother was the legitimate Bourbon pretender to his own throne. While Isabella had been unpopular and the Carlists a relatively minor nuisance outside of restive, non-Castilian speaking provinces, Infante Alfonso still had friends at court and was well known to desire a throne of his own, and now had France, a resurgent continental power, tacitly aligned with his claims via his sister's betrothal. At a meeting of the military general staff presided over by Serrano, General Weyler - the hero of the Carlist War - brusquely suggested eliminating yet another threat to Leopold's crown by having Alfonso assassinated the next time the pretender left France. It is rumored that this was the suggestion that got the famously gruff and hard-headed Weyler "exiled" to the Captaincy-General of the Canary Islands and later the Governor-General of the Philippines, where he would not cause political trouble by making such outlandish suggestions [2].

Though there was never any serious consideration of France backing Alfonso's claims with anything other than lip service, of course - Napoleon IV's ambitions lay beyond Europe and he aggressively curtailed the efforts of his ministers who sought confrontations with other continental powers, particularly Germany, and deployed diplomacy to rebuild France's stature at the table of Great Powers - fear of a French-backed Bourbon Restoration permeated Madrid's long-term thinking for decades thereafter, but never more fervently than in the years immediately before and after Napoleon IV's marriage to Maria del Pilar and the continued friendship between the exiled queen Isabella and the Dowager Empress Eugenie, who held considerable sway with her young and impressionable son. Leopold even told his son Wilhelm - who had yet to start going by his Spanish cognate Guillermo [3] - that he was pondering sending him to Germany along with Admiral Topete to negotiate a formal alliance with the German-Italian bloc [4] (a deliberation that when revealed would soon trigger a miniature constitutional and diplomatic crisis), and the
fortificado program in the Pyrenees was intensified [5], as was naval spending and modernization, with Spanish shipyards filled to the brim by the early 1880s with orders for new, more modern vessels to counter the growing and burgeoning Marine Imperiale in the Mediterranean [6]..."

- The German on the Spanish Throne: The Reign of Leopold I

[1] Literally three days after Napoleon IV died in the Anglo-Zulu War in OTL
[2] Old Val seems to me like exactly the kind of guy who'd throw out ideas like this
[3] I just don't feel that "Guillermo" has the same royal sound as William or Wilhelm do. Since its such a definitively Germanic name, it doesn't quite have that same cachet in Romance languages. I might even have him take a different regnal name when Leopold (eventually) passes on, that's how much I don't like the idea of a Guillermo I of Spain haha
[4] I haven't gone this route yet because I feel it's a bit overdone with Leopold of Spain TLs
[5] The Pyrenees would be a nightmare for an invading army to try to cross already, and Spain's geography lends itself well to defenders (hence the difficulty of rooting out insurgencies throughout its history, including the Carlists in OTL and TTL). This program would make Spain virtually impossible to invade effectively overland from the east.
[6] Spain strikes me as an oceangoing nation with the domestic capacity to build a substantial naval heavy industry and not have to rely on British shipyards for vessels, it seems they were that way already OTL and obviously a more stable Spain that has a secure Caribbean presence, been through a debilitating civil war in the 1870s and multiple governments would continue on her path of naval investments...

[3] I just don't feel that "Guillermo" has the same royal sound as William or Wilhelm do. Since its such a definitively Germanic name, it doesn't quite have that same cachet in Romance languages. I might even have him take a different regnal name when Leopold (eventually) passes on, that's how much I don't like the idea of a Guillermo I of Spain haha

Wilhelm August Karl Joseph Peter Ferdinand Benedikt

He's got a couple options, looks like.

The Early Years of the Gentleman's Game: Rugby in the 19th Century
"...rugby's "invasion" of the continent was not a match between nations, such as England competing against Scotland or Wales in previous contests, but rather Oxford's champions traveling to France to play against the University of Paris's team. The game was still primarily amateur at this time, with feuds bubbling up between amateur supporters and small professional associations, most prominently Blackheath. The match between Oxford and the Sorbonne, however, became famous for other reasons, as it fell on the fateful day of June 2, 1878, when a gunshot rang out that changed the face of Europe..."

- The Early Years of the Gentleman's Game: Rugby in the 19th Century

(I should note I'm not huge into rugby but my plan here is to be sort of creative with this... and one of my big long-term ideas I've had since starting this project, indeed from an abandoned alternate history CSA victory novel I started years ago, relies on rugby having replaced American football in North America. We're about a century out from that, though haha)

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what a way to introduce the next big event..and Rugby is boring anyway, Baseball and gridiron are superior anyway

Gotta keep y’all on your toes ;) Dropping hints about a major major event in a textbook excerpt on the history of rugby is me being feisty and coy this morning

It's really hard to imagine this France falling, as it's hinted at. Even if some idiot took the throne, it seems Napoleon has done a lot to stabilize it

It's really hard to imagine this France falling, as it's hinted at. Even if some idiot took the throne, it seems Napoleon has done a lot to stabilize it

The credit really belongs to Bismarckian figure if Francois Bazaine, who kicked the country into shape after its embarrassment (and near collapse of the Empire) in the Third Unification War, though Nap 4 has certainly been a more vigorous Emperor than his father was at the end of his reign, and it wasn’t *that* long ago ITTL that France was putting down communard revolts and struggling

As for the rest of your thoughts... well, nobody thought European monarchy was going to collapse pre-WW1 either, did they? ;)

Frederick and Victoria: Consorts of Germany
"...despite the near-miss when Emil Max Hödel fired his pistol at the 81-year old Kaiser on May 11, Wilhelm did not increase security for his open-carriage rides on the Unter den Linden. The crown prince and his wife were dining when the word reached them, less than a month later, that another attempt had been made on his father's life on the very same street, this time fired by a Dr. Karl Nobiling with a shotgun [1] from a window overlooking the route. The mortally-wounded [2] Wilhelm was rushed back to the Stadtschloss, where his age, poor health and the buckshot took him later in that evening.

As news of the assassination reverberated around Europe, June 2 would become an infamous day in Europe for the slaying of the Kaiser but also the first day of Frederick III's reign. As he clasped his father's hand as Wilhelm took his dying breath, he rose as Emperor of Germany. Bismarck took Frederick aside, and despite their differences, they embraced and wept. "Good luck, Your Majesty," the Iron Chancellor was said to have whispered to the new Kaiser before they kissed hands. The Wilhelmine age had ended - the age of the Consorts had begun..."

- Frederick and Victoria: Consorts of Germany

[1] Both of these events are entirely OTL, except...
[2] Here our butterfly flaps her wings

The credit really belongs to Bismarckian figure if Francois Bazaine, who kicked the country into shape after its embarrassment (and near collapse of the Empire) in the Third Unification War, though Nap 4 has certainly been a more vigorous Emperor than his father was at the end of his reign, and it wasn’t *that* long ago ITTL that France was putting down communard revolts and struggling

As for the rest of your thoughts... well, nobody thought European monarchy was going to collapse pre-WW1 either, did they? ;)
You monster, I actually really like this France lol

You monster, I actually really like this France lol

We’ll see what happens! lol. I actually enjoy Frenchwanks since they’re uncommon. You should check out my pseudo ASB “Napoleon’s World” over on the althistory wikia if you want some “French superpower” action haha

Ficboy

Banned
Thank you!! And thank you for reading
It's not only a Second Mexican Empire survives alternate history but a no Lost Order 191 Confederate victory scenario as well with rather realistic results to boot: Basically they earn their decisive victories in Chambersburg and York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Fredericksburg, Virginia but they've got a lot of issues to sort out after the War of Southern Independence/Civil War ends. The only thing I object to is the existence of the Ku Klux Klan I doubt they would ever pop up given the altered circumstances of the post-war South compared to it's Reconstruction counterpart. Zebulon Vance (cool name and mustache by the way) will soon become President and hopefully he'll put the Confederacy/Dixie on a better path to industrialization and a post-slavery society. It seem as though an alternate version of the Great Migration will occur given that we've seen escaped slaves and free blacks move to the United States with a lot of persecution. The Republicans are effectively dead and another party will rise to take their place.

It's not only a Second Mexican Empire survives alternate history but a no Lost Order 191 Confederate victory scenario as well with rather realistic results to boot: Basically they earn their decisive victories in Chambersburg and York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Fredericksburg, Virginia but they've got a lot of issues to sort out after the War of Southern Independence/Civil War ends. The only thing I object to is the existence of the Ku Klux Klan I doubt they would ever pop up given the altered circumstances of the post-war South compared to it's Reconstruction counterpart. Zebulon Vance (cool name and mustache by the way) will soon become President and hopefully he'll put the Confederacy/Dixie on a better path to industrialization and a post-slavery society. It seem as though an alternate version of the Great Migration will occur given that we've seen escaped slaves and free blacks move to the United States with a lot of persecution. The Republicans are effectively dead and another party will rise to take their place.

I like hearing your thoughts! I went back and forth on including the alt-Klan but found a different niche for them. We'll see about Zeb Vance... if anything that may be too optimistic a take, this is no dystopia but this is also the kind of TL where we've already had the Natives be genocided even more brutally than OTL and where a ten year old prince was just shot in the face at his first communion, so stay tuned!

I like hearing your thoughts! I went back and forth on including the alt-Klan but found a different niche for them. We'll see about Zeb Vance... if anything that may be too optimistic a take, this is no dystopia but this is also the kind of TL where we've already had the Natives be genocided even more brutally than OTL and where a ten year old prince was just shot in the face at his first communion, so stay tuned!
SO OTL? people always sell short how brutal OTL was

Status
Not open for further replies.