Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through A Mirror, Darkly

The creation of arcology valleys has melted glaciers into rivers and lakes on the surface, necessitating the need for a small naval militia. The Department of War and the Parks & Game Administration are currently engaged in a protracted legal battle over the creation of a National Wildlife Refuge in the nooks and crannies.

So im guessing from this line above and reading the other infoboxes that the Parks and Game Admin. basically lays claim to anywhere where their might be a speck of nature?

lots of planets have a north
-george h w bush, probably

FQXFipx.png

4233 BC in spaceflight
John Lockwood
Sylvestrian fever
Star sword
Styan Prairie Bush War
Peace Obelisk of Avalon
CAP Trade Unit

Australia's Navy : Death and Rebirth – Vampire Class.

Following the end of the Third World War, the RAN took a moment to have a breather, then immediate set to the task of rebuilding itself. It was briefly hoped the Navy could be rebuilt with ships “donated” by what was left of the US in return for resettling American refugees in Australia, but when the small batch of Charles' F. Adams destroyers and Knox frigates that had miraculously survive the war arrived, Navy inspectors found vessels in extremely poor shape; the US wasn’t willing to give up their better ships, since they were trying to rebuild their own navy. The only choice would be for Australia to build her own.

They say you always end up planning for the last war, and the Navy's plan for its future was no different. Submarines were the big threat of the last war, and so submarines would by what the navy prepared to fight next; this decision would affect Australian maritime defence policy for more than a decade.

The next step was a design. The navy needed new ships fast; it was expected that most of the RAN's few remaining warships would need refit or replacement by 1995. This left little time to design, prepare and start construction on new warships; after the debacle of the Bay class, the Navy wanted a mature design, one that would be near “fit to fight” straight out of the shipyard. Rather than develop a new design, the Australia's chose to modify an existing one: a before the war, Australia had purchased several Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, and was preparing to build its own (as the Adelaide class). It was decided that the construction of the Adelaide class would resume, as well as a new class of frigate based on the Adelaide: the Vampire class.
7gFaA76.png

If theirs one lesson the RAN learned from the war, it was the effectiveness of the Ikara Anti submarine missile system. The old, ageing design, which before the war the navy had planned to retire, had proven to be a golden bullet, accounting for 17 submarines and 1 surface vessel (a very unlucky Vietnamese frigate). The Navy was determined to keep Ikara going, with new upgrades in the pipeline. Ikara would by the main weapon of the Vampire class, its launcher replacing the Mk. 13 missile launcher on the Adelaide design. As a anti-submarine focused vessel, the Vampire was fitted with several powerful sonar systems: The advanced, Australian developed Mulloka-2 bow sonar, The Mani variable depth sonar and the the Garfish towed sonar. Air defence was seen as a secondary concern, and was provided by a single Sea Sabre launcher.

The design was finalised by 1992, with construction of the first vessel beginning in 1993. The navy originally had a requirement for 15 vessels; this was rapidly reduced to 10, then 8, then 6 after it was decided to build two of the Vampires as Adelaide class ships instead to cover WW3 losses. Unlike the WW3 emergency program, the Vampire classes construction has gone smoothly, with work being shared between three shipyards to speed up construction. To save costs, crucial at a time when the Government is engaged in the biggest infrastructure project in Australia history, much of the equipment fit, engines, weapons and systems, have been furnished using ongoing US refugee settlement payment.

By the end of the 90's, the threat in the pacific was changing, from the Soviet wolfpacks of the last war, to the naval domination of Japan and her allies. Being able to defend Australia's waters from Japan's large surface fleet became the new primary task of the RAN, and she adapted her ships accordingly. The Vampire class are now being upgraded to carry Harpoon anti-ship missiles, while DSTA researchers are working hard to develop a high sped anti ship missile based on the Ikara system.
xrL8ecU.png

By the end of the 90's, the threat in the pacific was changing, from the Soviet wolfpacks of the last war, to the naval domination of Japan and her allies. Being able to defend Australia's waters from Japan's large surface fleet became the new primary task of the RAN, and she adapted her ships accordingly. The Vampire class are now being upgraded to carry Harpoon anti-ship missiles, while DSTA researchers are working hard to develop a high sped anti ship missile based on the Ikara system.

Japan can into aircraft carriers again?

And what of Australia?

Y'know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but we've had so many infoboxes set in wildly dystopian futures that I'm actually bored of them.

It's actually really impressive; I remember a time when anything that wasn't an election box for an Anglosphere nation made me jump for joy, because they were rarer than four-leaf clovers.

Y'know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but we've had so many infoboxes set in wildly dystopian futures that I'm actually bored of them.

It's actually really impressive; I remember a time when anything that wasn't an election box for an Anglosphere nation made me jump for joy, because they were rarer than four-leaf clovers.

What are you going on about?

I resent and reject the "dystopian" descriptor. OFS is only really shitty for some places, with a normal, everyday, OTL level of shittiness for everywhere else. :p

Japan can into aircraft carriers again?

Japan can into aircraft carriers again, although they still call them "Helicopter Destroyers" like they do today, since their trying really, really hard to sell it to the world their still the peace loving, cant-have-a-military nation they were before the war.

The same cant be said about japans "allies" (read: puppets) in south america. Peru expects to have an aircraft carrier soon, although for some reason all the officers and crew speak Japanese.

And what of Australia?

Australia's shipbuilding industry is pretty much at full capacity building frigates, and their only really capable doing that (and able to afford it) because their getting most of their engines and ship equipment from the US as "Settlement Payments." An aircraft carrier would be great, but its a bit beyond their capacity right now.

"Obrigado, meus companheiros! Thank, my fellows!"
@LILS_oficial, 8 Nov 2016

"Crooked Lula will be arrested tomorrow, believe me. He stole this election with his 9 fingers. Sad!"
@realDonaldTrump, 9 Nov 2016

2zvOGrD.png

"Obrigado, meus companheiros! Thank, my fellows!"
@LILS_oficial, 8 Nov 2016

"Crooked Lula will be arrested tomorrow, believe me. He stole this election with his 9 fingers. Sad!"
@realDonaldTrump, 9 Nov 2016

I enjoy these America+other countries elections. Because I am an unrepentant imperialist.

I'd make a Westminster one for the entire Anglosphere, but that would require a significant amount of boundary-drawing.

Just draw haphazard lines all over the place, claim gerrymandering, and call it a day.

Yes I know that gerrymandering wouldn't be as likely in a Westminster system.

Got some more Trek boxes ready to go.

As always, a bunch of non-canon elements are added. In particular, the technical details of the EMH program were made up from scratch (the program size is just Data's memory capacity times times one million, figuring that there's much more processing power necessary for a holoprogram than an android's memory).

trekother3.png

Star Trek infoboxes
James T. Kirk, Benjamin Sisko, Katherine Janeway, Jean-Luc Picard
Spock
Deep Space Nine
Jonathan Archer
Worf, son of Mogh
Balthazar M. Edison, Changelings, Maquis
William T. Riker, Shinzon, Seven of Nine

More from the Punchiverse;

AHsTBbT.png

Climate Change, and the conflict on whether or not it was 'real', was the biggest issue of the Trump presidency, and nowhere was a conflict more apparent than California. Governor Jerry Brown was extremely opposed to the Administration's handling of global warming (which seemed to be simply removing any trace of it from government websites) and insisted if the President made moves to dismantling monitoring services for the EPA, "California would launch it's own goddamn satellite." Towards the end of Trump's term, which did just that, Brown's promise had materialized.

The first Californian Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite, nicknamed Ide (after pioneer William B. Ide) had been constructed by SpaceX on a contract set by the Californian House of Representatives (after much debating), and was set to be the first of a set of five. Things had looked good for launch day; the autumn winds had abated and previous tests had yielded satisfactory results. Ide was launched on live television, meant as a direct message to the Commander in Chief that not all Americans would comply with his backwards policies. However, hours later, in the dead of night, there was a bright light in the sky, and all communications with the satellite were lost.

Was it a technical error? Collision with space junk? As it turned out, a leak from hacker groups revealed that the USS Lake Eire had been brought covertly ordered to the California coast on the day of the launch, with exclusive commands from the White House to shoot down the satellite, which thankfully landed in an empty field. As the President declined to comment, the media, accordingly, erupted. Many questioned if the military was actually allowed to shoot down it's own tech, Governor Brown angrily pointed out how the satellite could've landed on civilian housing. Trump, over his Twitter, said how he'd ordered the satellite not be launched in the first place (which he didn't. The project was actually ultimately ignored by the government), and "whatever happened @JerryBrownGov had it coming". This wasn't the most tact of responses, as the GOP found out. Trump took one final and tragic tumble in the approval polls (which he repeatedly decried as rigged), and the incident was brought up repeatedly during the 2020 presidential debates. While no more SpaceX satellites were ordered, the company found a nice lot of contracts with the next Democratic administration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.