WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather keep Saavik on good terms with the Enterprise crew. Doesn't make too much sense for her being a turncoat despite her potential animosity towards Spock or Kirk.
Sounds good. The only thing is you knew from jump street that Valeris was the mole in Star Trek VI

Sounds good. The only thing is you knew from jump street that Valeris was the mole in Star Trek VI
Probably would have been better if she hadn't been, while a wonderful film that was way to signposted. Problem is any new character is going to be suspect by default and the obvious shocking option of it being one of the TOS cast was never gonna happen in 1991 (or probably at any time since).

Gotta agree with JamesHunter. There is no way fans are not going to suspect a new character as the mole unless they are really endearing to the audience.

...is it too /r/shittydaystrom of me to suggest they end up...um...reconciling in true James T. Kirk fashion? :evilsmile:
Maybe in an ITTL fanfic, but that person would be pretty damn devious to make Carol and Kirk make out in a Cersei/Jaime style.

I might rattle off a series of updates Saturday if I have the time:

Star Trek Exiles Part II
A Starfleet Intelligence character bio on Marx (the Betazoid)
The general update with what is going on in the world in September 1986

Star Trek Exiles: Part II
STAR TREK EXILES--PART II

The Federation Council convened an emergency meeting with President Roth and Starfleet Commander Morrow. Project Genesis dramatically escalated into a galactic controversy when Klingon and Romulan intelligence no longer detected the Mutara sector. They immediately determined that a star system and planet formed, which were destroyed due to the protomatter contained within the Genesis device. The Klingons were especially displeased; Chancellor K'Pac's son, Gorkon, who was previously amenable to peace with the Federation, threatened war if the perpetrators were not brought to justice. To the Klingons, the only surviving parties to the Genesis controversy were Admiral Kirk and his crew. To quell the Klingons' concerns and avoid war, the Federation Council and Roth had to determine how severely Kirk needed to be punished.

Andorian Ambassor Thras: The Council is in session. Starfleet Commander Morrow, present your evidence.

Starfleet Commander Morrow: Admiral Kirk, in an effort to save who he viewed as his friend, directly violated the quarantine imposed by this Council on the Mutara Sector. Specifically, he and his crew sabotaged Spacedock communications, the USS Excelsior, and stole the USS Enterprise, which was due to be decommissioned. He is responsible for the destruction of the Enterprise and the reveal of Project Genesis, which was intended for peaceful purposes. Due to these factors, Admiral Kirk is to return to Earth and stand trial for a ten year sentence for disobeying orders and mutiny against the Federation.

Thras: Do you believe that this is sufficient discipline? Admiral Kirk blatantly violated your authority as if you did not exist. Should he not receive a more stringent sentence than ten years in prison, which was your original proposal?

Morrow: I am willing to accede to the Council regarding the length of a prison sentence for Admiral Kirk and his crew.

Thras: I believe that each of Admiral Kirk's co-conspirators should receive a minimum of ten years confinement, with Kirk receiving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Admiral Lance Cartwright, the Deputy Starfleet Commander, immediately stood up to protest.

Cartwright: Admiral Kirk behaved heroically in this instance. He foiled a Klingon plot to steal Project Genesis! Kirk ensured that the Klingons would not receive the data from Genesis. The Klingons would have used Genesis as a doomsday weapon to destroy the Federation. Kirk should be given a hero's welcome, not a life sentence in a Federation prison! Have you lost your minds? Why are we trying to please the Klingons, who cannot be trusted? Why are we kow-towing to that lowlife Ambassador Kamarag of all people?

Thras: Your concerns are noted.

Cartwright: This Council is completely naive when it comes to the Klingon threat. Admiral Kirk knows how evil the Klingons can be, and conducted the appropriate action by scuttling the Enterprise, knowing that the Klingons could access Project Genesis from its databanks.

President Roth cuts in.

President Roth: Admiral Cartwright, did Admiral Kirk abscond with the USS Enterprise to travel to a quarantined sector and planet without Starfleet Commander Morrow's approval?

Cartwright: Yes.

President Roth: Did Admiral Kirk defy Starfleet Commander Morrow by ordering his crew to sabotage Spacedock and the USS Excelsior?

Cartwright: Yes.

President Roth: Did Admiral Kirk provide access to Project Genesis by entering the Mutara Sector and engaging with the Klingons?

Cartwright: That is the Klingons' fault, not ours. The Mutara Sector is in Federation space. The Klingons violated the Neutral Zone by entering the Mutara Sector.

President Roth: You understand the importance of a chain of command, Admiral. If we allow Admiral Kirk to go unpunished, any and all officers in the Federation will do whatever the hell they please and Starfleet will fall apart.

Cartwright: I believe Admiral Kirk was acting in the best interests of the Federation.

Ambassador Sarek: Admiral Kirk was acting on my wishes. His punishment should logically be mitigated. I provided Admiral Kirk the impetus to retrieve my son's body and bring him back to Vulcan.

Thras: How could you, the Vulcan ambassador to Earth, be so illogical? Your son was dead and buried on the Genesis planet.

Sarek: Sometimes, logic gives way when my son is concerned. If anyone should receive punishment, it is me. I precipitated the sequence of events.

Thras: This Council regards you as the most valuable ambassador in the Federation. You are faultless in this manner, Sarek. Admiral Kirk acted against all Starfleet protocol and will receive a life imprisonment. The rest of his crew, barring the doctor, will receive sentences ranging from ten to fifteen years in Federation penal facilities.

Sarek: I believe the actions of this Council are illogical in this matter.

President Roth: The crimes Admiral Kirk and his crew committed are extreme and will allow other Federation officers to commit mutiny if they are not punished severely. You understand the logic of maintaining a chain of command?

Sarek: Although I disagree with your assessment, the logic in that line of argument is clear.

President Roth: So it is decided. Admiral Kirk will be imprisoned for life without the possibility of parole, and his crew outside of his doctor, who was legally insane at the time, will receive between ten to fifteen years imprisonment for mutiny.

Cartwright: I officially file a protest with the Council in this matter.

President Roth: Duly noted, Admiral. The Council is dismissed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After sharing the whiskey with Bones, Kirk retired to his quarters. Before going to bed for the evening, he received a coded message. It was Starfleet Commander Morrow. Kirk smelled a rat immediately and knew what was coming.

Kirk: Admiral Morrow. I knew you would return my message. My crew and I are willing to return to Earth to stand trial.

Morrow: The Federation Council changed the terms of your plea, Jim. They cannot accept any discipline other than life imprisonment for you and ten years of imprisonment for Captain Scott, Commander Uhura, Commander Sulu, and Commander Chekov. Mutiny has its price.

Kirk: You backed out of the deal we made, Harold. How dare you fail to keep your word. My crew will never return to Earth under these circumstances.

Morrow: You don't have a choice, Jim. In eighteen Earth days, your asylum on Vulcan expires. You and your crew will be apprehended and remanded to Starfleet Headquarters to stand trial.

Kirk: Harold, I will defect. You cannot back out of a deal.

Morrow: Where exactly can you go, Jim? The Klingons will have you killed; the Romulans will have you tortured, and the Orions will have you working in dilithium mines for the rest of your life.

Kirk: The Federation Council is destroying Starfleet by allowing a Klingon ambassador to dictate terms. I pull back my guilty plea. My crew and I will fight these charges and embarrass you in front of the entire Federation. I'm not the only officer risking my career over this.

Morrow: Your plea of not guilty is noted. You will return to Earth in eighteen days.

Kirk: Kirk out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, Kirk calls his crew to discuss his conversation with Morrow.

Kirk: So I have bad news, my friends. Morrow was pressured by the Federation Council to punish us further for our actions. I will never be a free man again the moment we return to Earth. Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, all of you are facing ten years in confinement. Bones, you're the lucky one. You are not guilty by reason of insanity.

Bones: This is absolute hogwash. If you are all serving prison sentences, I'll turn myself in too.

Uhura: Ten years? There is no way in Antares I'm serving ten years in a Federation penal facility.

Chekov: It's not like you or I have a choice.

Uhura: I have my methods. You and I are not serving ten years of hard time.

Sulu: Starfleet bureaucracy, Admiral. You really should have never taken that promotion. Getting yourself into that position placed us all in the line of fire.

Kirk: I'm sorry, Hikaru. I know you're right on this. I cost you a command. You would have made a terrific captain.

Scotty: I figured. Starfleet has to bring the hammer down on us. They would be setting a poor example by letting us off easy, you know.

Kirk: Morrow told me we have eighteen Earth days before we are forcibly returned to San Francisco to face our fates. I notified him that I would enter a not guilty plea. What are your thoughts on this?

Chekov: We're standing with you. Not guilty it is. They will not run show trials like Mother Russia.

Scotty: Aye, Pavel. We stand and fight.

Uhura: I guess we go down with the ship.

Sulu: Lead the way, sir.

Bones: I'll serve the time for you. I still think it's unfair that I get off scot free.

Kirk: Bones, they're not throwing you in prison. My best advice for you is to become best friends with Spock again. (Bones groans).

Bones: Like I said, I'd rather be in prison.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After meeting with his crew, Kirk retired to his quarters. He received another coded message, this time from Carol Marcus, his old flame. "I'm right outside your door," it read.

Kirk: Carol, you can come in. I'm so sorry. I know you'll never forgive me, but you have to understand...

Carol: Understand what? That my son was roped into one of your games where he gets killed like members of your crew every time you faced a hostile situation? He died for nothing!

Kirk: He saved the Federation. He gave his life for Saavik and Spock.

Carol: He never should have been in the position to sacrifice himself!

Kirk: David stepped in the way of the Klingon with the dagger. They were going to kill Saavik instead, due to the fact that she was the only one of the three they could identify as a Starfleet officer. David ensured that Saavik and Spock survived. He loved Saavik and did not want her to die. He gave Saavik a chance to live.

Carol (crying): David was always noble when it came to women. That does not surprise me. However, you put him in that situation.

Kirk: Project Genesis was yours and David's lives' work. I never wanted to be involved. I always thought it was a terrible idea, going back to the Sherman's Planet war. David was a grown man and could make decisions on his own accord. You must understand that. David was our baby but he placed himself at risk and knew the consequences.

Carol: I'll never agree with you on that, as his mother. Once again, as for Project Genesis, we only intended the project to be used for peaceful purposes.

Kirk: I'm actually breaking the law here, but I must tell you that there were high-ranking civilians within the Federation that wanted to use Project Genesis as a weapon against the Klingons.

Carol: Maybe they were right, since a Klingon killed our son.

Kirk: Let's go to David's grave. I recovered his body. His final resting place is in the Vulcan Hall of Souls.

Carol: I understand now. (Kirk and Carol walk out of Kirk's quarters).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Uhura and Chekov entered the Bird of Prey bridge. They were in awe of Scotty's engineering abilities. He completely remodeled the bridge, including the command and communication consoles, for human use. Scotty realized that Sulu and Chekov struggled with identifying the thrusters when they were forced to escape from the exploding Genesis Planet. So Scotty devised the work around. Since the Klingon ship was only returning to Earth, Scotty worked around the language problem by using the Universal Translator to ensure easy use of the consoles.

Uhura: Scotty really is a miracle worker. You know, that's why I love him. When he first taught me the fastest way to fix my communication console on the old Enterprise, that's when I knew he was my man.

Chekov: I know you were enamored with Scotty since that wedding party with Decker and Ilia.

Uhura: That was such a painful memory. I wish Decker was still alive. (A console whirs).

Chekov: What is that?

Uhura: A coded message. I was expecting it.

Chekov: You know that Starfleet is monitoring all of our communications.

Uhura: I know Klingon codes, and so does my source. Commander Battles.

Lieutenant Commander Maria Battles (played by S. Epatha Merkerson) appears on one of the console screens.

Battles: So I heard both of you are in a very rough situation. Rumors are you are going to be locked up for a long time.

Chekov: Unless a miracle happens, ten years.

Uhura: So what new information do you have for me, Battles?

Battles: Nothing new about your prison terms, but I did receive a strange energy source from deep in Klingon space.

Uhura: A weapon we don't know about?

Battles: Doesn't seem like it. Karlax checked out the energy signature and told me it does not match up with any known Klingon technology. As a matter of fact, it is a completely unknown energy source.

Chekov: Where did it originate from?

Battles: I'm not certain, but probably from outside the galaxy. It is traveling towards Federation space and will arrive at Earth on its present course in seventeen days.

Uhura (raises an eyebrow): Do we know whether this energy source is causing disruptions? (Karlax appears).

Karlax: Hi Nyota! Hi Pavel!

Uhura: You're in a cheery mood, my old Klingon friend.

Karlax: Now you know how I've lived for many years. Both of you, my human acquaintances, are now on the run from your government. There is an old Klingon proverb: If you are not at the dinner table, you are on the dinner menu. If you'd like to join the Klingon secret services, I know a guy.

Chekov: That is a proverb from Mother Russia. I protest. (Karlax laughs).

Uhura: So what's the deal? What's going on with this energy source in the Klingon Empire?

Karlax: It knocked out power to two Klingon colonies. Kamarag asked Chancellor Gorkon about it as I was intercepting their comms. Gorkon sent two Birds of Prey to neutralize the energy source, but their power was completely drained upon approaching it.

Uhura: Do we know what it looks like?

Karlax: One of the Bird of Prey commanders upon regaining power believed the ship with the energy source was cylindrical in shape and very dark. That's all we know. But the Federation planets better watch out, because it looks like the Klingon Empire is not the energy source's final destination.

Uhura: I'll tell Admiral Kirk. Thank you very much Commander Battles. And Karlax, send my regards to the rest of the team.

Battles: Let's hope you get a light sentence.

Karlax: At least you're going to a Federation prison, not a Klingon prison. Small comfort, I know.

Uhura: Uhura out.

Spock was in his quarters meditating. He began to reconcile why he was rescued. However, he still did not understand Saavik or Amanda's illogic. Saavik wanted Spock to stay on Vulcan and raise their daughter, expected in six months. Amanda told Spock that his memories were still returning, and he would not be his old self, pre-death, for several months. Spock thought: "I am the only creature in the universe who ever returned to life from death and experienced both sides of it, while returning as the same individual." Spock continued to ponder his existence when a knock on the door interrupted him.

Spock: Enter.

Bones: Good evening, my green-blooded friend.

Spock: Hi, Doctor. I understand that you were still suffering from the mindmeld. I deeply apologize. Human brains were not engineered to process Vulcan neurochemical stimuli.

Bones: I'm starting to sleep a little better. My brain is returning to normal. Your excellent doctors on Vulcan confirm that I'm returning to my old self to continually pester you.

Spock: There are two pieces of strange logic that I cannot understand. Why is Lieutenant Saavik so insistent on me staying on Vulcan?

Bones: Maybe she wants her baby to receive personal attention from its father.

Spock: Vulcan brains can transmit messages across great distances. The child will always know I am present as long as I remain alive.

Bones: Don't you realize that you were just dead? Saavik is afraid you'll die again in service to the Federation. Remember how you wanted to remain on Vulcan to achieve Kolinahr? I wonder why you're so reluctant to accept responsibility for the child.

Spock: I can transmit the neurochemicals that you humans call "love" to Saavik and the unborn child through our thoughts.

Bones: She wants you there. In person. Are you concerned that Jim and the rest of the crew are being thrown in prison in a few weeks?

Spock: Unfortunately for the Admiral, the Federation is logically proceeding through legal means. The Admiral and the crew committed illegal acts to rescue me.

Bones: You're the same green-blooded emotionless soul from before death.

Spock: I guess you're right. My mother believes that I am "trying too hard" to recover from my traumatic experience.

Bones: Your mother Amanda is right. You will recover at your own pace. Didn't I tell you that when I had to surgically reimplant your brain?

Spock: You needed my assistance with the surgery, if I recall correctly.

Bones: Your mother has nothing to worry about then. Your memories are almost all there.

Spock: Thank you, Doctor. The Vulcan Science Institute will test my memory in two Earth weeks.

Bones: I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors. It's getting late, and I need some sleep. Until we meet again, Mr. Spock. (Bones leaves).

Spock resumed meditating and heard a female voice. "Your mind to my mind. Your thoughts to my thoughts." It was Saavik. Spock was surprised; he did not think that she mastered the mindmeld because she was half-Romulan. However, the voice persisted...

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

--The Betazoid Mikaela Marx gets a character profile
--The Soviet Union reaches a tipping point (reversal of glasnost and perestroika)
--The Middle East reaches a tipping point (Israel war vs. Syria, Jordan and Iraq)
--Paramount revs up the ad campaign for Star Trek IV

And maybe some other stuff.

Star Trek Exiles Part III will mostly be a conversation between Kirk, Spock and Bones.
We'll also get Uhura and Chekov informing Kirk of the mysterious signal in Klingon space that is not detectable to Federation sensors yet. Spock will have a conversation with Amanda about Saavik. Plus, friction between Admiral Cartwright and Admiral Morrow; Cartwright tries to find Ambassador Kamarag.

Last edited:
Star Trek: Exiles seriously intrigues me. I'm kinda hoping that it's at least Beta canon as a novel instead of mere fanfic (albeit a very good one).

--The Soviet Union reaches a tipping point (reversal of glasnost and perestroika)
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can see Poland, Czechia, and the Baltic states being shocked and later outraged by the reversal. The Soviet Union might live but at the cost of a far more hostile Eastern Europe that is eager to join NATO much faster.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can see Poland, Czechia, and the Baltic states being shocked and later outraged by the reversal. The Soviet Union might live but at the cost of a far more hostile Eastern Europe that is eager to join NATO much faster.
That sounds like a best-case scenario. Worst case? Nuclear Balkanization.

That sounds like a best-case scenario. Worst case? Nuclear Balkanization.
I won’t let it get that far (nuclear balkanization). I’ll reveal my hand tomorrow on the Soviet Union. I also have to create a world situation that causes Red Storm Rising to be a huge blockbuster for Paramount. Hint: things could go south for Gorby for a bit.

In a recent update, the Soviet hardliners/KGB killed Yeltsin. They’re going to try something again

Last edited:
Star Trek: Exiles seriously intrigues me. I'm kinda hoping that it's at least Beta canon as a novel instead of mere fanfic (albeit a very good one).
Star Trek: Exiles is a live action mini-series ITTL.

This timeline really has got a lot more Trek love than OTL. I would love to visit!

The Federation Council seem to be forgetting about the Klingon destruction of the Grissom @dsp19 - how to the families of the crew feel about the lack of justice for their dead? Kruge was the perpetrator here. Kirk's destroying the Enterprise was the sane thing to do in the circumstances.

In an Alt U where Kruge never got the data (massive UFP security leak there too!) and the Grissom was in orbit when Enterprise arrived what might Captain Esteban have done? At that point Grissom was in a better condition to fight than Enterprise! Would Esteban have tried to stop Kirk?

Last edited:
Chapter 218: September 1986
Short update for today: Soviet Union, Middle East, Star Trek IV, 1986 midterm polling.

R.jpg
gettyimages-967708528-1024x1024.jpg

COUP IN MOSCOW: GROMYKO DEPOSES GORBACHEV

By September 1986, the Soviet Union was on the brink. Although Gorbachev quelled most of the unrest, one more spark could light the cauldron again. Rumors lit up Moscow that the hardliner faction in the Politburo, led by aging Andrei Gromyko, poisoned the popular Moscow liberal Boris Yeltsin. The Soviet public demanded that Gorbachev remove Gromyko and the rest of the hardliners. However, Gromyko moved first. On September 17, while Gorbachev was attempting to mend fences with the Ukrainian SSR leaders in Kiev, Gromyko declared that he was the new premier. Gorbachev was arrested upon his return to Moscow and placed in confinement.

Reaction was swift and angry. Riots once again broke out in Moscow, Leningrad, the Baltic SSRs, the Ukrainian SSR, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Kazakhstan. Gromyko deployed the Red Army once again to quell the riots. Hundreds of Soviet citizens died on September 20, 1986, when the riots reached a fever pitch. This was to be known as Black Saturday in all of the SSRs. Despite the significant unrest, Gromyko's crackdown worked, but at a cost. Gromyko was forced to redeploy 250,000 troops from Eastern Europe.

The Warsaw Pact satellites, formerly ruled by an iron fist from Moscow, saw this opportunity to stage their own revolts. Hundreds of thousands of East Germans marched near the Brandenburg Gate, demanding access to West Berlin. On September 21, known in Germany as Black Sunday, East German soldiers shot into the crowd, and 125 were killed, with more than 500 wounded. Erich Honecker cracked down even more fiercely than Gromyko. At this point, there was no chance for freedom in East Germany, but Honecker was worried about another revolt. He set up a shadow government in Leipzig, to be led by Egon Krenz, in the event that Berliners deposed him. In Poland, hundreds of thousands, led by Lech Walesa, protested in Warsaw. The Polish government's response was similar to those in Moscow and East Berlin, but unlike their Soviet and East German counterparts, the Polish crowd refused to dissipate. They overthrew the Communist leader, Wojciech Jaruzelski, and installed Walesa.

Gromyko saw the events in Poland as a threat to the entire Warsaw Pact. If Poland defected to the West, East Germany would be isolated. Czechoslovakia already left the Iron Curtain in 1983, and Gromyko could not afford the loss of Poland, a pivotal member of the Soviet alliance. Gromyko had no choice but to send reinforcements into Poland, if only to prevent East Germany from being geographically cut off. The new Soviet leader redeployed his 250,000 troops from East Germany, Hungary, and Bulgaria, to Poland, where a brutal occupation was renewed. Walesa was deposed and sent to Moscow for a show trial, to occur in October...

ISRAEL ON THE VERGE OF VICTORY: CLAIMS WEST BANK

On the last day of August, Saddam Hussein entered the war against Israel, which reached its third week. Although the IDF was stretched, it could still confront the threat it faced from its east. The Israeli air force bombed Iraqi tanks with impunity once they established superiority over Jordanian airspace. Only a third of the Iraqi force deployed westward towards Israel made it to the West Bank. The IDF then sealed off the Jordan River, trapping the Jordanian troops in the West Bank. IED bombings and guerrilla attacks led by Yasser Arafat's PLO in the West Bank could only do so much. By the end of September, the IDF largely quelled the Palestinian resistance by cutting off its weapons supplies. They then started working on reducing the Jordanians in the West Bank pocket.

Iraqi efforts to relieve the besieged Jordanian troops were too little, too late. Once the IDF degraded the Syrian forces enough to remove them as a serious threat, the Golan Heights were safely under control. The IDF withdrew from Syrian territory south of Damascus and sent troops into the West Bank. The Jordanians desperately pleaded to the United Nations. Israel was in violation of UN Resolution 242, and they demanded an international response. The United States duly vetoed the Jordanian resolution. The Soviet Union agreed with Jordan but was in no position to deploy their own troops due to the unrest at home and throughout the Warsaw Pact. China also approved, but did not consider the matter of full importance, as their focus was on their near abroad, specifically Taiwan, their sworn enemy, and the allied North Korean government in Pyongyang. The Americans threatened to back their Israeli ally if any other country entered the conflict.

The remaining challenge for the Israeli government was what to do with the Palestinians who remained in the West Bank. Yasser Arafat needed to be deposed as the head of the PLO. Yitzhak Shamir tasked the Mossad with the task of finding Arafat and at a minimum, placing him under arrest. Shamir also declared that Israel extended from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River, in clear violation of UN Resolution 242. Although most of the world opposed the Israeli claim, Israel had enough. They now had to fight five wars in the first 38 years of their existence to ensure their survival. The Israeli public wanted a buffer zone against further invasion from the north and east, and they would establish it regardless of what the international coterie of diplomats in New York thought...

PARAMOUNT HYPES STAR TREK IV WITH MINISERIES, STAR TREK EXILES

Earlier in the year, Paramount executive John Pike brought William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley into a meeting in his office. Star Trek IV was close to finished and in post-production, but Pike had an idea to rope in a greater audience. What if Paramount created a miniseries that detailed the Enterprise crew's exile on Vulcan? The audience that loved Star Trek understood that the events of Star Trek III led to the Enterprise crew, outside of Spock, being fugitives from justice. Kirk and company committed mutiny against the Federation, and the next movie had to wrap up that problem. However, Pike thought there was space for a series depicting the three months the crew spent on Vulcan.

Nimoy and Kelley were open to the idea. Nimoy especially liked portraying a Spock that just returned from the dead because it provided him a chance to expand his character and create new facets to the Vulcan's personality. Kelley proposed that his McCoy character deal with the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder due to Bones' brain being combined with the trauma Spock faced, knowing that the Vulcan would die. Shatner was less keen on the idea, because he was agreed to several television spots on Starfleet Intelligence and wanted a producer credit for every new Star Trek created with Kirk present. That being said, Shatner realized that Kirk had a really juicy part to play. The Admiral lost his ship, his son, his woman and his career. How would Kirk respond to being so empty and disempowered?

Pike also proposed a side-story with Uhura and Chekov communicating surreptitiously with Starfleet Intelligence and a potential love affair between Scotty and Uhura to integrate the still-popular spy series with the A-plot starring the original Big Three. Shatner once again was reticent, but Nimoy and Kelley approved. There was a lot of ground that needed to be covered. How was Uhura's spy team operating without Uhura and Chekov there? Pike realized that Karlax was a breakout character and somehow wanted to integrate Ron Perlman into the miniseries. When Shatner agreed on the number of lines each character would receive, Star Trek: Exiles was a go, and Paramount would promote the Exiles miniseries as the lead-in to Star Trek IV...

REPUBLICANS LEAD MIDTERMS ON LABOR DAY, BUT NOT EXPECTED TO WIN HOUSE, SENATE

Despite President Glenn's successes in passing most of his "Real Deal" legislation, foreign policy failures in the Middle East and his awkward tiptoeing the tightrope with the Soviet Union cost him in the polls. A Gallup survey in September 1986 had Glenn underwater, with 43 percent approving of his job performance and 50 percent disapproving. Republicans believed that Glenn and the progressive coalition in the House overreached on domestic policy. The stock market, although not in recession, was largely flat in the past year, and fears of a recession abounded due to the spending passed by Congress for industrial and urban renewal, education, healthcare, and an expansion of the bureaucracy. Republicans led 48 percent to 44 percent on the generic ballot. In a meeting with the President after Labor Day, Speaker of the House Morris Udall feared a loss of 25 to 30 seats, mostly moderates and conservatives in the South and Midwest.

The picture was just as bleak in the Senate; several Democrats trailed their Republican challengers. Arkansas senator Dale Bumpers trailed his Republican opponent Asa Hutchinson by five points in private polling. Despite the charismatic governor, Bill Clinton, rallying support for Bumpers, the President feared that one of his closest friends from their days on Capitol Hill was doomed for defeat. Democrats already wrote off Alan Cranston in California. The Field Poll, the most accurate survey in the country, showed Cranston trailing by ten points to Ed Zschau, a Republican member of the House. Ken Kramer led Democratic House representative Tim Wirth by seven points in conservative Colorado. Wendell Ford was in a dead heat with Mitch McConnell, who took another shot at the Senate after he barely lost in 1984 to Walter Huddleston. Russell Long, the Democrat from the famous Long family in Louisiana, retired, and his replacement, John Breaux, ran an ineffective campaign. Kit Bond, the Republican governor of Missouri, had the Senate seat held by Democrat Thomas Eagleton locked up; he led by fifteen points. There were five or six other races that could tip Republican. President Glenn was looking at a bloodbath in the Senate and needed to get out on the campaign trail to limit the damage. Democrats were lucky that they had the 63 seats, so there was little threat to their majority. However, they could see that majority reduced significantly...

Last edited:
Given the news from the Middle East, Warsaw Pact, and China I suspect ITTL me would be very much looking forward to Star Trek: Exiles and IV just to escape the bleakness…

Given the news from the Middle East, Warsaw Pact, and China I suspect ITTL me would be very much looking forward to Star Trek: Exiles and IV just to escape the bleakness…
Star Trek IV is going to be a fun diversion, that's for sure. I write up the international crises to give myself plots for Star Trek

Last edited:
Special Update: Mikaela Marx of Betazed
MIKAELA MARX OF BETAZED

Hi everyone, it's Mikaela. I'm probably the least likely intelligence operative in history, but here I am in Starfleet Intelligence, taking on the most dangerous missions. In childhood, I never dreamed of leaving home. I was born and spent my childhood on Betazed, which is a paradise compared to most other planets in the galaxy, Earth included. Betazoids had no interest in joining the Federation during my formative years. We were living in ignorant bliss, admiring our beautiful world. My father knew a bit about the Federation and was one of the few Betazoids aware of the potential alliance we eventually joined. Most Betazoids were opposed to joining the Federation. We wanted to be neutral and were proud of it. As a matter of fact, Betazoids in my generation and previous generations were taught that neutrality and pacifism were the most important traits in a civilization. If we applied to the Federation, we could be drawn into a future war with either the Klingons or Romulans, who we knew as brutal, totalitarian species.

As you already know, Betazoids are a telepathic and empathic species. We develop mental bonds from childhood. My Imzadi in childhood was a teenager by the name of Mark Rixx, from the aristocratic Rixx family, holders of the Sacred Chalice. Once you choose your Imzadi, you are bonded to that person for life. So I guess Betazoids are similar to Vulcans, another peace-loving species, in that respect. I was destined to marry Mark Rixx and have a family, just like all Betazoid females were expected to.

But I wanted more. I wanted adventure. Few Betazoids really wanted to venture off-planet because of the dangers we heard about in open space. I was what you humans call an adrenaline junkie, so I desired leaving Betazed for one of the Federation planets. A human explorer, Allen Troi, was vacationing on Betazed when on a chance encounter, I met him at the Janaran Falls, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of my planet. Troi talked a good game about Betazed being a model future member of the Federation, but he wasn't getting anywhere with the crowd near the falls. I guess he'd be what you humans call a missionary; a Federation missionary. I guess he got a convert in me; I wanted to leave my homeworld and join Starfleet. Troi said I'd be a history-maker; the first Betazoid in Starfleet. So I signed up.

Starfleet Academy was a wonderful place. My favorite class was piloting; I really wanted to be a helmsman on one of the flagships, like the Enterprise. However, I failed my pilot classes. My academic adviser, Matthew Boothby, discovered that I had one of the highest intelligence quotients in Starfleet Academy. In addition to my ability to read minds, he suggested the Intelligence division. I was leery. Starfleet Intelligence was mysterious and dangerous. Half of all cadets who entered Starfleet Intelligence never came back home, which meant it was the most dangerous division in the Federation. My "adrenaline junkie" side took over, and I threw in with Boothby. When I graduated the Academy, I was placed in an SI unit.

The most difficult part of working in Starfleet Intelligence isn't the danger, handling the weapons, or reading minds. It was running into different species with completely different values. Karlax was a war criminal from the Klingon Empire who killed thousands before his brain was rewired to work for Starfleet. Sometimes, I wonder if he ever shed his barbaric past. Despite my unease with Karlax, he always works diligently to protect me, and treats me like a younger sister, even though I outrank him. The Romulan Nerva was another barbarian, and I remember all the heated arguments he had with Karlax. Commander Uhura is the best leader I'll ever work for. I know she served under the legendary Admiral Kirk, but I wonder if she was the real brains behind the operation on the Enterprise. She knew exactly what her agents needed at all times and made my transition into Intelligence smooth. The most important part about Uhura's leadership: She'll never leave an agent behind.

I know my parents disapproved of me entering Starfleet, but opinions started to change on Betazed. In fact, it was my father who led the campaign to join the Federation. The dispute almost led to a civil war, but Betazed eventually joined the Federation, and my planet is experiencing benefits they never had before. Betazed's wealth increased five-fold from membership; more Betazoids wanted to travel the stars. I like to think of myself as a pioneer for my species; a pioneer for my home workd becoming a full-fledged member of the galactic community.

Last edited: