WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
An idea for Riker. Murder in the holodeck (may also let him team up with the chief engineer about too). Starts off with Riker enjoying a laid back pool hall, maybe playing an instrument as well, in Holodeck 1. He gets interrupted. Ship sensors has detected so and so's life signs to stop in Holodeck 2. He immediately ends simulation and hoofs it next door to find so and so dead in the middle of another simulation. Riker has to solve the murder.

Pulaski - Making time. Nephew is studying for a tough entrance exam and is having a hard time. Pulaski is overwhelmed (in the middle of a disaster relief mission with a lot of injured - medical ship still days away). Make it a episode about feeling pulled in two directions, asking for help (but not always realizing it at first, etc.). Star Trek, at least to me, has always been about the human condition so let this be one of those episodes that explores family and how we help each other.

Engineering - the ship encounters an anomaly or a mysterious alien race messing with the ship, and the good chief engineer has to stay one step ahead to keep the ship and it's crew alive. Be a good episode to explore the budding friendship between Data and the chief engineer.

LaForge - Capt Picard has beemed down along with a diplomatic team to further discussions with X race as they seek Federation membership or expanded trade (whatever makes sense). It is expected to be quiet so The crew is relaxed, then a few hours later the ship's sensors register an explosion near where the talks are ongoing. They receive a staticy and garbled plea for help. Signal jammers prevent further communication and transporter locks. They receive a audio message only from the surface. Another faction has made a play for power on the planet and are keeping the Federation envoys hostage. How does LaForge act as the guy in charge now?

Last edited:
Is it safe to presume that any OTL episodes you list @dsp19 we have to swap roles for Riker, La Forge, Yar, Worf etc since they are not all in their OTL jobs?

If not then episodes like 11001001 are focusing on the 'minor' officers quite early in the show's history!

Chapter 231: November 1987
I have nothing else to do on this lazy Saturday, so why not another update? We have more TNG news; Spock's World gets picked up as the plot of Star Trek V; Vice President Bentsen decides not to run for another term with President Glenn; the Baltic SSR's seek independence from the Soviet Union, and the NFL roundup for November. Plus, three original Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes.

R.jpg
R.jpg

MARINA SIRTIS AND DENISE CROSBY DISCONTENT WITH TNG ROLES

Although Star Trek: The Next Generation is off to an excellent start in both the ratings and among the Trek fanbase, two of the actresses in the series is discontent with her role. Marina Sirtis wants to play the role of a psychologist on the show instead of a nurse, and showrunner David Gerrold is attempting to accommodate her due to Sirtis questioning her role in the series. "Marina does not want to be Nurse Chapel, barely getting any lines or important stories centered around her in the series. She is thinking about leaving the show for better opportunities," her agent said. Gerrold responded, "I admit we were a little slow in integrating Marina's Nurse Troi into the series, but we have no plans to change her role at this point. Denise Crosby is playing the role of ship's counselor, and we plan to keep it that way at least for the first season." Patrick Stewart reportedly wants Sirtis to stay and beileves that she will play a greater role in the series as it evolves. "Marina is one of the finest professionals I have worked with," Stewart said. "I will talk to Gerrold to give her more importance in the series."

Crosby is also discontent with her role, because she believes her personality as an actress clashes with her attitude as a ship's counselor. "Denise does not feel comfortable playing a psychologist," her agent said. "She is trying to fake it to make it, but she prefers a more physical role like Jonathan Frakes," Crosby's agent said. "Denise saw Nichelle Nichols in Starfleet Intelligence and wants to be more of an action hero, because she believes she will gain popularity." With two discontent actresses complaining to Gerrold, the showrunner has some significant decisions to make as the final few episodes of the first season are still in production. "We will reevaluate Denise and Marina's roles after the first season is over," Gerrold said. "I'm not willing to chop and change until we get feedback over a full season of episodes." Fan mail has run relatively divided over Crosby and Sirtis so far. "I think Marina is being underutilized as a nurse and is more talented than they are giving her credit for," Elaine from Boston said. "As for Denise, I'm not sure she fits as a psychologist. Her shtick only seems to work with Data."

R.jpg

SPOCK'S WORLD PICKED UP AS NEXT STAR TREK MOVIE, AS RODDENBERRY APPROVES OF NOVEL

Gene Roddenberry has given his seal of approval. Spock's World, the long-running number one novel on the New York Times' bestseller list, will be made into a movie. Roddenberry believes that Spock's World will be a blockbuster hit like the movie adaptation of Red Storm Rising for about half the cost, and Paramount Pictures CEO Michael Eisner agrees with the mercurial Star Trek creator. Roddenberry commented, "Spock's World is at its core, a nonviolent, creative story that exemplifies the best of Star Trek. It is the most popular novel of 1987 for that exact reason. I disapproved of the direction of the movies up to Star Trek IV, which reestablished the peaceful Star Trek ethos. I believe that Star Trek V will expand upon the series' method of solving problems without the use of violence." Due to the rising salaries of the cast, the movie is estimated to cost about $40 million to produce. However, the reduced need for special effects due to most of the action taking place on Vulcan will lower costs some, and Paramount is notorious for ensuring that movies always come in at budget.

The actors, now a part of Star Trek for over 20 years, also approved of Spock's World as the fifth film installment in the franchise. "It is an engrossing story, and I'm glad that it is being produced as a movie," William Shatner said. Shatner was also pleased that Roddenberry would return as a co-producer. "I don't think Gene gets enough credit for creating Star Trek, which is one of the largest franchises in the world. He was there for us when we started out and protected us from cancellation by defending our work from the studio heads, who thought that we were not worth the time. I know Gene is struggling with health issues and he deserves one last chance to create great Star Trek." Leonard Nimoy, who will almost assuredly play the primary role in Spock's World, believes that the book should be followed more closely to the letter. "I think that Gene will remain true to the book, because it is a fantastic novel. If it is the last time we make a Star Trek movie, we'll go out on a high note." Nichelle Nichols disagreed with Nimoy on one point. "If audiences keep on wanting to see us in the movies, why can't we make movies until we're all senior citizens? I think we've got at least two or three more movies left in us." DeForest Kelley politely disagreed with Nichols. "I'm OK with them ending the movie series after this film," Kelley said. "I'm getting up there in age, you know. I've retired from Hollywood except for Star Trek and I'm OK spending my golden years with my wife."

LLOYD BENTSEN TO RELINQUISH ROLE AS VICE PRESIDENT IF PRESIDENT GLENN WINS SECOND TERM

R.jpg

Vice President Lloyd Bentsen announced that he would not run for a second term with President John Glenn in the 1988 presidential election. The Texan believes it is time for the Democratic Party to move onto a new generation of leaders. "I'm 66 years old, and I'll be 71 years old in 1992, assuming President Glenn wins next year," Bentsen said. "I think it's time for the younger voices in the Democratic Party to get their turn. The World War II generation, of which I am a part, has led the nation since Jack Kennedy won in 1960, and will lead the nation until 1992 if President Glenn gets reelected. I believe that after 1992, we have to pass the torch." When asked why Bentsen believed he should not take his shot at the Presidency, Bentsen simply said, "I would not survive two terms in office if I were elected at 71 years of age. A President must be fit to serve two terms, and my health would deteriorate quite a bit due to the stress of being the most powerful man in the free world. John Glenn told me that the stress of the office affects him sometimes and said that Ronald Reagan could no longer handle the rigors of the Presidency when Glenn replaced him in 1985. President Reagan was 73 years old in 1985 when he left office."

The surprise announcement set off a race to replace Bentsen on the ticket. Arkansas Governor William Clinton, Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Jr., Delaware Senate Joseph Biden, Secretary of Labor Jesse Jackson, and former California Governor and Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley have reported interest in the role. Glenn is reportedly looking for a candidate between 35 and 50 years of age, which provoked a sharp response from Mayor Ed Koch of New York City. "I'm 63 and I have more energy than anyone," Koch said as he was ruled out of the VP race. A surprise dark horse candidate bandied about in the White House was Los Angeles Mayor George Takei, who would be the first Asian-American on a presidential ticket. Takei ran the hugely successful 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and is revitalizing LA with a new mass transit system. However, the list is likely down to Clinton, Gore and Biden. "The President is intrigued by Takei but believes he needs to hold a statewide office before being placed into consideration for a national ticket." William White, President Glenn's Chief of Staff, told the press.

White continued, "The President thinks Governor Clinton is a little bit of a loose cannon but approves of the significant overhaul of Arkansas' educational system and believes Clinton has gotten better results than any other governor with the resources he's been given." Other sources within the White House believe that Senator Biden has tremendous foreign policy experience but is a shaky campaigner who gaffes a lot on the campaign trail. Senator Gore, from a southern state, is believed to be the frontrunner to balance the ticket. "Gore is not as risky as Clinton, and is less mistake-prone than Biden," political commentator Robert Novak said on CNN. "However, he lacks some charisma, and Glenn needs a charismatic running mate because he is a little dry himself." Jesse Jackson currently holds an executive branch role, but the President does not want to take the risk to elevate him further. "I don't think the country is ready for Jesse Jackson in the Oval Office," Novak said. "President Glenn is risk averse." Novak believes that Tom Bradley is a better option if Glenn wants an African-American on the ticket. "Bradley was a decent governor but President Glenn is discouraged by his 1986 defeat to George Deukmejian, who could be a vice presidential selection on the Republican ticket."

R.png
R.png
R.gif

IN DEFIANT GESTURE, BALTIC SSR'S TAKE DOWN SOVIET FLAGS AND INTRODUCE NATIONAL FLAGS

On November 28, the Estonian SSR, Latvian SSR and Lithuanian SSR defiantly removed their Soviet flags and raised their national colors, in a move towards seceding from the Soviet Union. Estonian independence leaders Edgar Saavisar and Mart Laar declared in the Old Town district in Tallinn that "this is the first day of our independence from our imperial overlords in Moscow. Estonia has been illegally occupied since 1940, and we intend to be occupied no longer." In Riga, Latvian nationalist Guntis Ulmanis spoke to a large crowd. "We stand with our brothers in Estonia and Lithuania who yearn to be free. We will strike like our Polish brothers did under Walesa and throw out the Russian occupiers who have defiled our land for almost 50 years." Lithuanian nationalist leader Vytautas Landsbergis effectively declared Lithuania independent in Vilnius. "Lithuania effectively no longer takes orders from Gorbachev in Moscow. The Communist dictatorship that has choked Lithuania for two generations will choke us no longer. Vilnius no longer takes orders from Moscow."

General Secretary Gorbachev denounced the Baltic nationalists and declared that the Red Army would suppress the revolts. A statement from the Kremlin read: "The USSR is an inviolable and unbreakable union of fifteen free republics which have advanced the world into a new era. We have led the world against the capitalist oppressors from the West. The nationalists in the Estonian SSR, Latvian SSR and Lithuanian SSR are defying history by declaring themselves in revolt against the Soviet Union. The Red Army will ensure that the three republics in revolt will remain in the Soviet Union for the foreseeable future. Their future is permanently attached to the Soviet Union, and the nationalists in Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius will understand that reality and accept that reality by any means necessary." Two days later, Gorbachev responded by activating 150,000 Red Army soldiers from Russian territories to maintain order in the Baltic SSRs. President Glenn flatly opposed Gorbachev's actions. "The Baltic republics deserve their freedom just like Poland," Glenn said. "I'll leave it at that for Mr. Gorbachev."

OIP.jpg
R.jpg

NFL ROUNDUP: REDSKINS END GIANTS' PERFECT SEASON AT RFK STADIUM
GIANTS WERE 11-0 BEFORE LOSS IN WASHINGTON

The New York Giants continued rolling through the NFL in November. They defeated the Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium 24-14 to run their record to 8-0. The Giants then thrashed the Patriots 38-7 before a trio of difficult road games in Philadelphia, New Orleans and Washington. New York escaped with a 30-27 victory in overtime over the Eagles at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. The Eagles led 27-20 after a stunning 49-yard touchdown scramble by Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham. However, the Giants tied the game at 27 after a touchdown pass from Phil Simms to Irving Fryar. The Giants won the toss in overtime and drove for the winning field goal. In New Orleans, the Giants defeated the Saints 17-13 in a battle of the linebackers. The Giants quartet of Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson and Harry Carson narrowly outplayed their Dome Patrol counterparts to reach 11-0. Next came the archrival Redskins at RFK. With three of the last four games being the Eagles at home, the Phoenix-bound St. Louis Cardinals, and the Packers and Jets at home, the Giants believed that a victory at RFK would lead to an undefeated season.

It was not to be. Joe Gibbs' Redskins, at 8-3 and in second place in the NFC East, declared that the rematch against the Giants was the most important game of their season, and they jumped the Giants 17-0 in the first quarter in front of a raucous RFK crowd. Rookie Washington running back Timmy Smith pierced New York's vaunted defense for two touchdown runs. The Redskins held their lead going into halftime, intercepting Simms twice in the red zone and shutting down the Giants' running game. The Giants made adjustments in a big third quarter, as Simms hit rookie receiver Mark Ingram for two touchdowns and All-Pro tight end Mark Bavaro for a third touchdown to take a 21-17 lead. However, Washington responded. Redskins quarterback Jay Schroeder hit his own All-Pro wide receiver Art Monk for a 35-yard touchdown with a minute and a half remaining to put the Redskins in front 24-21. On the Giants' final drive, Simms tried to find Fryar deep but Darrell Green, the best cornerback in the NFL, shut down Fryar and intercepted Simms with 25 seconds left to preserve the Redskins victory. The fans at RFK were bouncing in the stands; the previously invincible Giants were beaten.

The 49ers kept the gap between themselves and the Giants at one game in the standings. San Francisco won four of their five games in November to reach 10-2, with the only defeat being a 26-24 loss to the Saints on a last second field goal. The 49ers were led by a historic season from wide receiver Jerry Rice, who hit 1,000 yards receiving in San Francisco's 11th game. Rice was on pace for a 1,700 yard season, an NFL record. The Chicago Bears also won four of their five games in November to run their record to 9-3, two games behind New York's 11-1. The Bears suffered a narrow 31-29 defeat to John Elway's Denver Broncos at Mile High Stadium in an anticipated Monday Night Football matchup, but won their other four games in November over Kansas City, Detroit, and the archrival Packers twice. After their second victory over Green Bay, Bears coach Mike Ditka declared that the Monsters of the Midway would go to the Super Bowl.

In the AFC, the Broncos led the way with a 9-3 record in the AFC West, holding a two-game lead over the Los Angeles Raiders and San Diego Chargers. The Cleveland Browns, at 8-4, led the Cincinnati Bengals by one game in the AFC Central. The AFC East was deadlocked with a three-way tie going into December. The surprising Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills were tied at 7-5 with Dan Marino's Miami Dolphins. The NFC East saw the Giants at 11-1, with the Redskins at 9-3 and the Eagles at 7-5. The Bears were in clear control of the NFC Central at 9-3, with the Minnesota Vikings two games back at 7-5. The 49ers were also in clear control of the NFC West at 10-2, with the New Orleans Saints two games back at 8-4. A dramatic December and January was in the cards, especially in the loaded NFC...

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION EPISODES

EPISODE 8: CRISIS ON MORSKA (Airdate: November 3, 1987). Geordi, Barclay and Data are tasked to solve an ecological crisis on Morska, a Klingon colony world. The flora is dying at a rapid rate due to dilithium radiation emanating from hundreds of high pollution mines. While scanning a dying tree in a cave on the planet, Data surprisingly shuts down and collapses. Geordi demands to know what happened, and a hooded figure appears; it is Karlax, the former Starfleet Intelligence agent, back on his home world, living the life of a monk. Geordi demands to find out how Data was shut down, and Karlax responds that the dilithium radiation caused Data's circuits to overload. When Geordi asks Karlax for help, he, Barclay, and the unconscious Data are taken captive; Geordi is stunned because he believed Karlax to be friendly due to his history with Starfleet.

Back on the ship, Picard hails the leader of the Morska colony, Kroth, and asks him where his away team is. Kroth cannot give Picard an answer, and the captain, believing they are in danger, sends Riker, Worf and Troi down to the planet with a dozen members of Enterprise security to find Geordi's away team. Riker's team finds Karlax, but they immediately engage in a fight with Karlax's monks and are defeated. Worf and Troi are spared unconsciousness, while Riker and the rest of his security team are knocked unconscious. Troi senses fear in Karlax because he has an emotional connection to his homeworld, which is being destroyed by the Empire. Troi tries to persuade Karlax that the Enterprise crew is there to assist them, but Karlax refuses, telling Troi that her Betazoid tricks don't work on him, since he was close friends with a Betazoid in Starfleet Intelligence. Karlax tells Troi that only Worf, a fellow Klingon, will understand.

Karlax tells Worf to engage in the Klingon ritual of nGab, or emotional cleansing. Worf refuses because Karlax is holding the Enterprise crew captive. Karlax then holds a bat'leth to Worf's neck and threatens to kill him. Worf undergoes the ritual, and Karlax tells him that the Federation made a deal with Klingon Chancellor Gorkon to build dilithium mines on Morska as part of the Khitomer accords for mutual use. Karlax resigned from Starfleet Intelligence because he knew that a dilithium mining planet would eventually be ecologically destroyed, which is why Karlax distrusts the Federation. Worf then hails Picard and informs them of the situation. Picard asks Starfleet Command for the mines to be shut down but is refused by Admiral Jones because the Klingons would back out of the Khitomer accords. Picard asks to meet Karlax, who then frees the Enterprise crew. Barclay reactivates Data and they work on an answer. They determine that large sarcophagi need to be built over the dilithium mines as a temporary solution as the Federation and Klingons negotiate over their future use. Barclay determines that tachyon radiation within the sarcophagi is needed to prevent the dilithium radiation from penetrating further into the planet's atmosphere, and Karlax finally assists the Enterprise crew with the solution. Picard tells Karlax that they will be back, and that he should trust the Federation again. Instead of responding in the affirmative, Karlax silently walks away to continue his monastic existence.

EPISODE 9: SELF-CONFIDENCE (Airdate: November 10, 1987). Benjamin Pulaski is reeling emotionally from Wesley Crusher's (Wil Wheaton) rejection in his effort to be closer than friends with Wesley. Benjamin slashes himself on the wrist and falls unconscious. Dr. Pulaski finds her nephew bleeding out in his quarters and rushes him to sickbay. After barely saving her nephew's life, the doctor demands to know why Benjamin tried to commit suicide, and Benjamin tells her aunt that it was due to his best friend Wesley rejecting his advances. Upon recovering, Benjamin tries to find Wesley to attack him with the knife and is detained by Riker and Worf. The two security officers want to know why Benjamin is behaving this way, and he tells them that Wesley rejected him. Riker tells Benjamin that losing Wesley as a close friend is not the end of the world, and that the Enterprise crew supports him; he is one of the most brilliant teenagers they have ever encountered. Worf recounts to Benjamin an experience where he was bullied as a Klingon boy because he lived on Khitomer, a Klingon colony world in Federation space. Benjamin tells Worf that he trusts him. However, when Benjamin asks Worf to attack Wesley, Worf refuses, stating that while sympathizing with Ben, it is dishonorable.

Captain Picard and Counselor Yar enter as Riker and Worf leave. Picard wonders why his gifted young acting ensign would contemplate suicide. Benjamin explains the situation, and Picard goes on one of his speeches, telling Benjamin that "the only soul who must be the end all and be all in your existence is your own. Never place your soul completely in the hands of others." Yar senses that Benjamin's resistance is crumbling and tells Benjamin that she faced similar rejection as a teenager. Benjamin trusts Yar and asks to meet Wesley. When Benjamin and Wesley meet, Wesley apologizes and they hug. As they mend fences, a blast strikes the Enterprise. The ship is caught in a gravitational anomaly that they were scanning as part of their mission. Benjamin and Wesley discover that the only escape is to rig the deflector beam to fire anti-gravitational pulses. They tell Barclay and the three of them rig the deflector beam. The ship is saved, and Wesley and Benjamin challenge each other to a game of three-dimensional chess; Benjamin wins against his friend for the first time.

EPISODE 10: ESSENCE OF COMMAND (Airdate: November 17, 1987). Geordi takes the command aptitude tests to determine his potential prospects for promotion. Picard finds that Geordi scored higher than any other XO since Picard himself before he was given command of the Stargazer. Geordi and Picard are then contacted by Admiral Uhura, who suggests that Geordi should take command of the USS Yokohama, an Ambassador-class starship. Geordi asks the venerable admiral for 24 hours of think time, and Uhura agrees.

Meanwhile, the Enterprise is on a relief mission to Tauris VI. The planet was ravaged by a solar flare and power was knocked out. The Taurisians are unable to restore power and the Enterprise was called in to assist. During the mission, Picard decides to beam down to the planet himself to assist. Geordi wonders why Picard is leading the away team himself, and Picard tells him that he must grow into command to accept Uhura's offer. While Picard, Barclay and Ben Pulaski are planet-side, the Enterprise is ambushed by two Ferengi vessels. The Ferengi demand Geordi's surrender; main power is knocked out. Picard tries to get back to the Enterprise but the Ferengi take his away team captive. The Ferengi are wondering why Tauris VI lost power because they and the Taurisians are trade partners, and Tauris VI maintains relationships with both the Federation and Ferengi. Geordi buys time by powering down all systems on the Enterprise. The Ferengi try and take advantage by beaming over, but Riker and Worf's security team are in the transporter room and defeat the boarding party.

Meanwhile, Data restores partial main power and Geordi orders the ship separated. The saucer section fires on one of the Ferengi ships while Geordi is on the battle bridge. As the separated Enterprise takes on both Ferengi ships, Picard and Barclay fight off their captors and demand why the Taurisians stood by. The Taurisians respond that the Ferengi would offer them more profit and better trade conditions if they repaired the damage from the solar flare as opposed to the Federation. The separated Enterprise is able to fight off both Ferengi ships with the element of surprise removed. The Ferengi back off and leave the system, and Picard commends Geordi for his actions while the Enterprise fixes the Taurisian power grid. Picard tells the Taurisian leader, Dracon, that the Ferengi would use them as pawns, and returns to the Enterprise.

Admiral Uhura contacts Picard and Geordi again and suggests that Geordi take command of the Yokohama, but Geordi turns her down. Uhura tells Geordi that he is ready, especially after winning the battle with the Ferengi, but Geordi responds that a seasoned captain would not be taken surprise the way he was. Uhura nods her head and recalls an experience where Captain Kirk was taken by surprise. She tells Geordi that even the best captains (Kirk and Picard) are caught off guard but accepts Geordi's reasoning. Picard tells Uhura that he is glad to keep Geordi on the Enterprise, but knows that his gifted XO will eventually captain his own ship.

Last edited:
lets it is not going to be long the drawn out 'i want to captain the enterprise'(said in childish voice & stomping foot mess we got otl.
Really how often riker rejected a captaincy is ridiculous, and honestly should have gotten him put on the permanent no for captain list very soon (you can refuse once or twice, after that it just like a character trait that disqualifies for the captains seat).
considering uhura finds him ready enough, give it one more season, then he has no choice but to get his own ship

lets it is not going to be long the drawn out 'i want to captain the enterprise'(said in childish voice & stomping foot mess we got otl.
Really how often riker rejected a captaincy is ridiculous, and honestly should have gotten him put on the permanent no for captain list very soon (you can refuse once or twice, after that it just like a character trait that disqualifies for the captains seat).
considering uhura finds him ready enough, give it one more season, then he has no choice but to get his own ship
After BOBW part II ITTL is when I'm going to make the move with Geordi getting his own ship. Geordi is a very young XO at this point; only 30 years of age, or younger than Captain Kirk when we first saw him in TOS. So he would be perhaps the youngest captain ever if he accepted the command at 30 and still very young (32-33) when he gets his own command

Last edited:
After BOBW part II ITTL is when I'm going to make the move with Geordi getting his own ship. Geordi is a very young XO at this point; only 30 years of age, or younger than Captain Kirk when we first saw him in TOS. So he would be perhaps the youngest captain ever if he accepted the command at 30 and still very young (32-33) when he gets his own command
yeah, sounds like the perfect moment

yeah, sounds like the perfect moment
Could go one of two ways

--Picard survives BOBW and Geordi leaves the series to command another ship
--Picard is killed off (Patrick Stewart decides to leave TNG ITTL) and Geordi commands the Enterprise.

There's also a ton of other stuff going on other than TNG in this update...a passing of the torch in the Democratic Party, some NFL action, and Spock's World as Star Trek V instead of The Final Frontier

Last edited:
Could go one of two ways

--Picard is killed off (Patrick Stewart decides to leave TNG ITTL) and Geordi commands the Enterprise
i prefer the first really, some of the episodes after that were very impressive, how picard suffered what looked like ptsd from his borg experience.
and geordi would be too junior to command the flagship (the ah suggestions of riker doing that run in the same problem), first command being the flagship - no way.
Although i hope you still manage to find a more frequent spot for Hauer (XO after BOBW?)
And for Geordi maybe a spinoff? (what takes the place of ds9 ittl)

Last edited:
i prefer the first really, some of the episodes after that were very impressive, how picard suffered what looked like ptsd from his borg experience.
and geordi would be too junior to command the flagship (the ah suggestions of riker doing that run in the same problem), first command being the flagship - no way.
Although i hope you still manage to find a more frequent spot for Hauer (XO after BOBW?)
And for Geordi maybe a spinoff? (what takes the place of ds9 ittl)
I think I established a couple of updates ago that Rutger Hauer's character is already a Starfleet captain so he won't be an XO.

A spinoff with Geordi is a thought but I want to keep DS9 ITTL, but do it a little differently/ I want an earlier introduction of the Dominion with a different casus belli for war--the Federation encroaches on the Gamma Quadrant and antagonizes the Founders. Instead of Voyager, I want either:

Star Trek: Excelsior (depending on what I do with George Takei's political career) OR
Starfleet Medical (with both Diana Muldaur and Gates McFadden). A Star Trek medical show at the same time as E.R. would connect with audiences

Last edited:
Next update will focus on Dwight Schultz's role in TNG, the end of the 1987 NFL regular season, the race to be President Glenn's VP, the backlash to Gorbachev's move in the Baltics, the potential WGA strike (writer's strike), and more original TNG episodes

"and showrunner David Gerrold is attempting to accommodate her due to Sirtis questioning " - it says Gerrold is trying to help then quotes him as saying they are not going to make any changes?

Nurse Troi qualifying as a psychologist could make for some interesting 'in show' character development.

I think Denise Crosby will need some character focused episodes to 'bed in' her role for her, or maybe she is just not the right person for the role?

Do the producers have Crosby on the bridge in the same dresses as Troi wore OTL?

Star Trek V is based off a novel? Will this will be a first for the franchise considering the novels are usually ignored. Spock's World is a great book, will be interesting to see how much translates from page to screen. Plus this does open the 'novelverse' up to be mined more often.

"Shatner was also pleased that Roddenberry would return as a co-producer. "I don't think Gene gets enough credit for creating Star Trek, " - and what about Gene Coon, or Justman or so many other people who put so much meat on Roddenberry's bare skeleton heh Bill?

I wonder who is directing Star Trek V?

A politician stepping aside to let new blood in? Well done Vice President Lloyd Bentsen, well done indeed.

Bradley would be a bold pick for 1988, is America ready for a black VP? I think Takei is the best choice :) but I suspect it will be the energetic Clinton, if Glenn can reign him in.

"the Estonian SSR, Latvian SSR and Lithuanian SSR defiantly removed their Soviet flags " - let's hope this does not end in a bloodbath. Time for break out the Federal Union of Soviet Republics?

CRISIS ON MORSKA - wow this Karlax has got cynical and darker since the S:I days. Nice first Classic Trek cameo here though. The sarcophagi over the radioactive mines is good old Trek allegory at work again. For a nurse you think Troi might have some words for the miners on this poisoned world too?

SELF-CONFIDENCE - well that is a lot of character work in a very early episode. Some great stuff for Ben, the Doc, and a Picard speech!

ESSENCE OF COMMAND- another Classic Trek cameo! Cool. Presumably the Ferengi are seen? Do they look like OTL or something more menacing ITTL? Good to read about Worf's security team being effective here instead of losing. Another ship separation - this is good as they wanted to use it more OTL but could not.

Great stuff this update. Ta @dsp19

Could go one of two ways

--Picard is killed off (Patrick Stewart decides to leave TNG ITTL) and Geordi commands the Enterprise.

There's also a ton of other stuff going on other than TNG in this update...a passing of the torch in the Democratic Party, some NFL action, and Spock's World as Star Trek V instead of The Final Frontier
Picard being too damaged by the Assimilation and takes a desk job while La Forge gets the Enterprise could make a nice setup.

You could have Picard guest across the next season as he recovers- maybe he is in charge of the Anti-Borg taskforce with Shelby?

A Season 6 episode where Enterprise does war games with the prototype Defiant commanded by Picard would be ace methinks.

I think I established a couple of updates ago that Rutger Hauer's character is already a Starfleet captain so he won't be an XO.

A spinoff with Geordi is a thought but I want to keep DS9 ITTL, but do it a little differently/ I want an earlier introduction of the Dominion with a different casus belli for war--the Federation encroaches on the Gamma Quadrant and antagonizes the Founders. Instead of Voyager, I want either:

Star Trek: Excelsior (depending on what I do with George Takei's political career) OR
Starfleet Medical (with both Diana Muldaur and Gates McFadden). A Star Trek medical show at the same time as E.R. would connect with audiences
Presuming DS9 is still the story of the Dominion first contact failure and war, then going Star Trek: Hope with both Pulaski and Crusher set during the Dominion War and dealing with its consequences and aftermath would be awesome.

Have a known face as Captain - Worf? Riker? but the ture heart of the show is sickbay and the two clashing styles of the Doctors, the drama between the other staff, and the medical emergencies of the patients. Could deal with PTSD, loss, fixing the Federation as an entity as well as the people.

"and showrunner David Gerrold is attempting to accommodate her due to Sirtis questioning " - it says Gerrold is trying to help then quotes him as saying they are not going to make any changes?

Nurse Troi qualifying as a psychologist could make for some interesting 'in show' character development.

I think Denise Crosby will need some character focused episodes to 'bed in' her role for her, or maybe she is just not the right person for the role?

Do the producers have Crosby on the bridge in the same dresses as Troi wore OTL?

Star Trek V is based off a novel? Will this will be a first for the franchise considering the novels are usually ignored. Spock's World is a great book, will be interesting to see how much translates from page to screen. Plus this does open the 'novelverse' up to be mined more often.

"Shatner was also pleased that Roddenberry would return as a co-producer. "I don't think Gene gets enough credit for creating Star Trek, " - and what about Gene Coon, or Justman or so many other people who put so much meat on Roddenberry's bare skeleton heh Bill?

I wonder who is directing Star Trek V?

A politician stepping aside to let new blood in? Well done Vice President Lloyd Bentsen, well done indeed.

Bradley would be a bold pick for 1988, is America ready for a black VP? I think Takei is the best choice :) but I suspect it will be the energetic Clinton, if Glenn can reign him in.

"the Estonian SSR, Latvian SSR and Lithuanian SSR defiantly removed their Soviet flags " - let's hope this does not end in a bloodbath. Time for break out the Federal Union of Soviet Republics?

CRISIS ON MORSKA - wow this Karlax has got cynical and darker since the S:I days. Nice first Classic Trek cameo here though. The sarcophagi over the radioactive mines is good old Trek allegory at work again. For a nurse you think Troi might have some words for the miners on this poisoned world too?

SELF-CONFIDENCE - well that is a lot of character work in a very early episode. Some great stuff for Ben, the Doc, and a Picard speech!

ESSENCE OF COMMAND- another Classic Trek cameo! Cool. Presumably the Ferengi are seen? Do they look like OTL or something more menacing ITTL? Good to read about Worf's security team being effective here instead of losing. Another ship separation - this is good as they wanted to use it more OTL but could not.

Great stuff this update. Ta @dsp19
--Gerrold could be rewriting some scripts in order to flesh out better character development for Denise Crosby and Marina Sirtis. Troi might eventually take the role we know in TNG and Crosby could leave after year 2 instead of year 1. Maybe Yar dies a heroic death against the Borg instead of the awful sendoff she got IRL. Yar is not wearing the same dresses or leotards Sirtis wore IRL but she is wearing blue instead of yellow.

--None of the Star Trek movies IRL are based off novels so it will be interesting to see this play out. Diane Duane will have a bigger bank account ITTL than IRL, that's for sure, and probably a co-producer credit. Roddenberry will be in charge because it is understood that he is in poor health and does not have much time left, so Paramount is throwing him a bone before he dies. His health issues are worse than OTL because he worked harder ITTL's 1980s as showrunner for Battleground: Earth and Andromeda. So Roddenberry will likely pick the director, it won't be Shatner or Nimoy or Nick Meyer. Maybe someone like Tony Scott (Top Gun director) or Joel Schumacher takes it on.

--Shatner is actually right about Roddenberry not getting enough credit because the first butterfly ITTL was Roddenberry getting that Monday timeslot, avoiding the Friday 10 PM graveyard. The prevailing view ITTL is that if Star Trek got buried on Friday night in 1968 it would be consigned to the dustbin of history and would not become a billion dollar franchise. Roddenberry went off the rails for most of the TL because, well, he's Roddenberry, but he did put aside his ego one time to save Trek ITTL as opposed to RL.

--The list in order of favorite to underdog in President Glenn VP candidate derby:
1. Gore (favorite)
2. Clinton (2nd favorite)
3. Bradley (underdog)
4. Biden (big underdog)

Nobody else is seriously in the running. But what I do with Takei's political career is another question entirely. Either he does Star Trek Excelsior and he holds off on statewide politics for later or he goes for California Senate or Governor based on his mayoral experience after Star Trek VI is made.

--The Baltics are going, going gone from the Soviet Union. I give it a year tops. Gorbachev will have to formulate his Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics by the end of 1988 at the earliest. It is an open question whether Ukraine decides to become independent as well. I think the Caucasian SSRs (Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan) are also gone. Gorbachev can keep the Stans, Belarus and possibly Ukraine if he plays his cards right. Gorbachev can also go for a solution where he keeps the USSR as is and just keeps the Stans and Belarus with Ukraine becoming independent, but the last domino to fall that ensured the USSR's demise IRL was Ukraine saying no to Moscow.

--I want to write some original TNG for about 50% of the episodes because I feel like I'm better at writing that series than TOS. There were a lot of "anomaly of the week" episodes and I won't get rid of them but make them less common. The "alien of the week" episodes for the most part were OK IMV. TNG is better supported budget-wise so they can take 2 or 3 more shots of the saucer separation sequence.

Picard being too damaged by the Assimilation and takes a desk job while La Forge gets the Enterprise could make a nice setup.

You could have Picard guest across the next season as he recovers- maybe he is in charge of the Anti-Borg taskforce with Shelby?

A Season 6 episode where Enterprise does war games with the prototype Defiant commanded by Picard would be ace methinks.
--That depends on where I want to go with it. There were legit rumors that Patrick Stewart was considering leaving TNG after season 3 which is why they set him up to be killed off in BOBW. LaForge becoming captain with Riker as XO is possible.

Presuming DS9 is still the story of the Dominion first contact failure and war, then going Star Trek: Hope with both Pulaski and Crusher set during the Dominion War and dealing with its consequences and aftermath would be awesome.

Have a known face as Captain - Worf? Riker? but the ture heart of the show is sickbay and the two clashing styles of the Doctors, the drama between the other staff, and the medical emergencies of the patients. Could deal with PTSD, loss, fixing the Federation as an entity as well as the people.
Starfleet Medical could either be an ER-type show set in the Star Trek universe or a Doctors Without Borders setup just in a galactic setting. If I let TNG run 7 seasons before starting DS9 then the latter starts in September 1994. I think I want to start DS9 in September 1993 so its first season is the last season of TNG. Then possibly run Star Trek: Excelsior concurrently for the older Trek fans or run Starfleet Medical after DS9 ends (2000). Diana Muldaur would be 62 and Gates McFadden would be 51 when that series starts so it could be Muldaur kicking off the series and making way for Bashir after 2-3 seasons.

--The Baltics are going, going gone from the Soviet Union. I give it a year tops. Gorbachev will have to formulate his Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics by the end of 1988 at the earliest. It is an open question whether Ukraine decides to become independent as well. I think the Caucasian SSRs (Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan) are also gone. Gorbachev can keep the Stans, Belarus and possibly Ukraine if he plays his cards right. Gorbachev can also go for a solution where he keeps the USSR as is and just keeps the Stans and Belarus with Ukraine becoming independent, but the last domino to fall that ensured the USSR's demise IRL was Ukraine saying no to Moscow.
Could the ASSRs be promoted to full Republics in this new Union?