WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was thinking would it be possible for TNG to divide the crew a few years in. Say after this timeline's Best of Both Worlds LaForge gets his own command and takes along a few Enterprise crew members with the show then dividing episodes between the Enterprise and the new ship. Not quite a spinoff as there is only one show with the same timeslot and seasonal episode count.

You could put Pulaski on one ship and have Crusher for the other. Develop Miles O'Brien as the chief engineer of the new ship in anticipation of something like DS9. It would allow some of the main cast more time to take on side projects.
That sounds really fun, actually.

I was thinking would it be possible for TNG to divide the crew a few years in. Say after this timeline's Best of Both Worlds LaForge gets his own command and takes along a few Enterprise crew members with the show then dividing episodes between the Enterprise and the new ship. Not quite a spinoff as there is only one show with the same timeslot and seasonal episode count.

You could put Pulaski on one ship and have Crusher for the other. Develop Miles O'Brien as the chief engineer of the new ship in anticipation of something like DS9. It would allow some of the main cast more time to take on side projects.
Neat idea, but I suspect it’s not something that would be done due to the costs involved since you need more extras, more sets and more adventures to write.

Perhaps in animated form?

Oh hey, that PTN station listing is pretty nice! Only real complaint is the lack of the Hampton Roads metro area, but that's just because I'm from Virginia ;). Though they are the largest area to not have a team in any of the Big Five leagues. Might I suggest WTVZ? They were originally an independent station that started broadcast in 1979, became a Fox affiliate, then a WB affiliate, and are now a MyNetworkTV affiliate. I doubt WYAH (now WGNT) would partner with Paramount. It was the flagship station for CBN and was started by Pat Robertson himself!

Oh hey, that PTN station listing is pretty nice! Only real complaint is the lack of the Hampton Roads metro area, but that's just because I'm from Virginia ;). Though they are the largest area to not have a team in any of the Big Five leagues. Might I suggest WTVZ? They were originally an independent station that started broadcast in 1979, became a Fox affiliate, then a WB affiliate, and are now a MyNetworkTV affiliate. I doubt WYAH (now WGNT) would partner with Paramount. It was the flagship station for CBN and was started by Pat Robertson himself!
WTVZ would make sense (Wikipedia says it is Channel 33 in the Hampton Roads area)

In TTL TNG, @dsp19 , you could cast Kate Mulgrew as a younger Katherine Janeway (Kate Mulgrew was 32 in 1987 and Janeway was 27 in 2363) as a science-officer (She was a science officer OTL before she went on to the command track).

Neat idea, but I suspect it’s not something that would be done due to the costs involved since you need more extras, more sets and more adventures to write.

Perhaps in animated form?
You wouldn't really need to duplicate everything. The idea is that of the 22-26 episodes a year filmed there would be half filmed with the Enterprise crew and half with the (going with OTL) Titan crew. So the extras used for Episode 14 are the same cost whether it is for the Enterprise episode or the Titan one. The bridge on Enterprise might double for that of the Titan (with maybe some minor changes). Same with Sickbay, shuttles or the Transporter room.

The real main cost would be the salary of the expanded main cast. My thought was that any renogiated contracts might balance the cost by offering a lower salary as a trade off for the lower number of episodes the actor/actress would be in. For example Lavar Burton as Captain Geordi LaForge pretty much appears only in the Titan episodes while Patrick Stewart only appears in the Enterprise ones (the occasional cameo aside)- so both might accept a lower salary in exchange for more opportunity to take other roles. Might even be arranged so they film the Titan and Enterprise episodes are filmed in a way that gives each cast roataing months rather than weeks off.

Last edited:
"Encounter At Farpoint, attracting 45 million viewers." - Damm that is a great number compared to OTL's 27 million!

Jennifer from Philadelphia - I think I have read your posts on TrekBBS....

"most of the fans interviewed disapproved of the main character, Captain Jean-Luc Picard."- I guess they will have to give Patrick some opportunities to prove his acting chops earlier than OTL.

"Kirk would have told that Q character where he could shove it. "- And Q would have turned Kirk into a newt. Even Kirk knew there where limits.

"Eventually he will grow on her and she will develop feelings towards him." - One really hopes not. Troi can do so much better.

"admitted his feelings towards Wesley Crusher, " Gay stuff? In the pilot? And there is no pushback from the studio or religious types?

Who is playing Wesley Crusher and is the character still Human male?

"Dwight Schultz" - I really hope this TNG writers room makes better use of the characters for S1/2 than TNG OTL did or we might see churn. Folk like Schultz have other places to be. If Rodennberry and his lawyer Maizlish are not invovled at all then TNG S1 will be a much happier affair and we keep superb people like Probert, Fontana, Wright, Justman, and many others on-board instead of them all being driven off.

"I'm going to write to Paramount and ask them to cancel this series."- something tells me they will ignore you, and you will keep watching anyway Jennifer.

"Starfleet Intelligence closed its five-season run with a bang, winning four Emmy Awards in its final season. " - Champagne all round. Awesome send off the the regular show.

Outstanding Drama Series for 1987, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama, Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series , - what was the 4th Emmy in the win?

"Nichelle Nichols took home her third Emmy in five seasons "- how many do you have Bill? heh.

"televangelist Pat Robertson. " - well that would be a disaster for America if Robertson got in.

"Blood and Fire." - well that is a heavy episode for episode 2 of a new series. Well done team for diving right in.

"a science vessel where a plague has apparently infected and killed most of the crew." - anyone heard of EVA suits? TOS used them for dangerous situations.. occasionally.

"The Copernicus is abandoned and the Enterprise goes on its way." - why leave a science vessel with the plans for a bioweapon on-board? Worf, Riker, La Forge, Pulaski even should all be advocating for it to be destroyed.

"meets the Davalii race." - it would be species in TNG not race. What do they look like btw?

"one of the Davalii play havoc with the Enterprise's environmental systems," - why did they just not ask to transport the statue?

"Datalore" - might work better with another actor rather than the 'twin' thing of OTL, but does stop Lore posing as Data since the difference would be noted. Perhaps a mind swap between them would be used if Lore wanted to be Data so badly.

"Blood and Fire sparked serious debate among Trek fans and the general public. " - all publicity is good publicity?

If the Ferengi are mentioned in Farpoint as per OTL I really hope they are played as much more menacing than OTL when we finally meet them.

TNG is off to a good start ITTL.

You wouldn't really need to duplicate everything. The idea is that of the 22-26 episodes a year filmed there would be half filmed with the Enterprise crew and half with the (going with OTL) Titan crew. So the extras used for Episode 14 are the same cost whether it is for the Enterprise episode or the Titan one. The bridge on Enterprise might double for that of the Titan (with maybe some minor changes). Same with Sickbay, shuttles or the Transporter room.

The real main cost would be the salary of the expanded main cast. My thought was that any renogiated contracts might balance the cost by offering a lower salary as a trade off for the lower number of episodes the actor/actress would be in. For example Lavar Burton as Captain Geordi LaForge pretty much appears only in the Titan episodes while Patrick Stewart only appears in the Enterprise ones (the occasional cameo aside)- so both might accept a lower salary in exchange for more opportunity to take other roles. Might even be arranged so they film the Titan and Enterprise episodes are filmed in a way that gives each cast roataing months rather than weeks off.
It is an interesting idea but not one I can see TV execs in 80's America going for. It costs more and risks audience confusion as to what is going on.

Remember this is also the era way before serialised storylines and 'arcs' as we know them.

Titan as a spin- off maybe - perhaps even a mini-series of its own since Trek ITTL has a history of such things e.g. Exiles.

In TTL TNG, @dsp19 , you could cast Kate Mulgrew as a younger Katherine Janeway (Kate Mulgrew was 32 in 1987 and Janeway was 27 in 2363) as a science-officer (She was a science officer OTL before she went on to the command track).
Good idea, by that seems like 'god mode' - our OP has IMHO not been writing as if the Trek production team know DS9/Voy/Ent all follow TNG.

Having said that, casting someone who was a background regular on TNG to the Captaincy of a later vessel is a great idea as it promotes series continuity like O'Brien moved from background to lead on DS9.

You could also use Lacarno instead of Paris to provide another TNG link.

This is presuming DS9 and Voy even happen or are OTL in anyway of course- lots of directions Trek could have gone instead.

The next thing I have to do is figure out how to stop the writer's strike in 1988 or at least reduce its effects. That was the impetus for reality television which caused the quality of television to decline significantly. At about this point in the TL (September/October 1987), the writers were starting to think about a strike because producers/TV networks were shafting them on royalties when their TV episodes went into syndication both in the USA and in foreign markets.

Paramount ITTL would likely be the least compromising of the major TV networks because they have a ton of sports programming. Then again, they have Walter Cronkite and Carol Burnett ITTL who would take the side of the writers...

Paramount ITTL would also make bank on syndicating the Star Trek series (they already have on TOS and would get going on turning a big profit on Starfleet Intelligence)
Would the existence of Paramount TV have caused enough butterflies that some/all of the writers demands are already met?

Since Paramount needs TV shows as do the other channels is there more demand and therefore a situation for better wages thus nullifying the strike?

Also Paramount as the owners of Star Trek know the importance of the syndication market - would they not keep their writers sweet? And if Paramount are doing that means Disney are and would that drag the other studios along too?

This is presuming DS9 and Voy even happen or are OTL in anyway of course- lots of directions Trek could have gone instead.
i think ittl Babylon 5 will get picked up earlier, maybe do its designed 5 season arc.
But being picked up earlier would mean no way for paramount to poach the idea

i think ittl Babylon 5 will get picked up earlier, maybe do its designed 5 season arc.
But being picked up earlier would mean no way for paramount to poach the idea
It depends of JMS shopped the idea around the different channels before he goes to XX.

Also it is possible that JMS gets picked up by Paramount and Babylon 5 becomes Star Trek: Babylon Station or similar. Which would be kinda cool imho.

Chapter 230: October 1987
Short update today.

river-phoenix.jpg
p183887_b_h10_ah.jpg

CONTROVERSIAL START TO NEW STAR TREK SERIES
RIVER PHOENIX CHARACTER, BLOOD AND FIRE CRITICIZED FOR BEING PRO-GAY

Star Trek: The Next Generation is off to a flying start in the Nielsen ratings. Through the first month, TNG maintains an audience of 30 million Americans after Encounter at Farpoint's 45 million strong audience. However, the first two episodes were not without controversy. River Phoenix's character, Benjamin Pulaski, was slammed for being gay, a rare instance of a gay character in a starring role. In a statement, the conservative Moral Majority, led by the Reverend Jerry Falwell, denounced the new Star Trek series. "Star Trek: The Next Generation is heresy for promoting a gay character and the gay lifestyle. The series promotes immoral behavior and values, and we demand that it be taken off the air. We have received thousands of letters calling for the gay teenager to be removed from the series at a minimum." In response to the criticism from conservative circles, David Gerrold had a two-word response: "Screw them." Gerrold remained uncompromising in a longer statement issued to newspapers around the country. "If we do not accept gay and lesbian Americans as a part of the fabric of America, we are not being truthful to ourselves as a society. We fully believe in the idea of infinite diversity in infinite combinations, and that diversity makes America great. It is time for gay and lesbian Americans to live proudly without fear of being disowned by their families and ostracized by society. The inclusion of a gay character is essential for the American people to accept that sexual orientation is respected. We've received more fan mail supporting the Benjamin Pulaski character than fan mail in opposition."

Blood and Fire, the second episode of the series, was written by Gerrold as a metaphor describing the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The episode was also criticized for being pro-gay, due to the fact that gay Americans are still the most vulnerable group when AIDS is concerned. Robert Justman broke slightly from Gerrold regarding the pro-gay themes in the first two episodes. "We won't lean as much on the gay themes for the rest of the first season, but we've established that homosexuality should be accepted. In the 24th century, no prejudice exists when it comes to sexual orientation because the human race has evolved beyond its basest instincts." Although there was some blowback, the episode was not as controversial as the introduction of River Phoenix's character. The public service announcement asking for viewers to donate blood was commended." After the episode, there was a 25 percent increase in blood donations reported around American hospitals. The American Medical Association said in a statement, "The Star Trek episode Blood and Fire honorably served the American public by advertising and spurring critical blood donations to save lives around the country. Hospitals received enough blood for approximately 10,000 extra hospitalized patients during the month of September 1987."

GettyImages-1276504511-680x430.jpg
wip2-4.jpg
R.jpg
R.jpg

REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES DEBATE IN IOWA
BUSH DRAWS CLOSER TO DOLE IN THE POLLS

The four primary Republican candidates for President met for the first time in Des Moines for a presidential debate. Senator Bob Dole, the frontrunner for the nomination, was targeted by former CIA director George Bush and televangelist Pat Robertson for being too moderate in his foreign policy stances and being too moderate in his social views. Robertson ripped into Dole on the issues of abortion and the separation of church and state. "Senator Dole would promote godlessness in America because he believes in the separation of church and state. As President, I would return daily prayers to the classroom. American children are more unruly than ever because prayer and patriotism was taken out of our schools." Senator Dole responded to the criticism by reiterating his stance that daily prayer in schools should be a local issue. "Prayer in school depends on the school district and what the school board favors," Dole said. "I am a proponent of small government, and Mr. Robertson is demanding that all schools follow his ideas. I believe that there will be a backlash in many school districts if the Department of Education mandates various policies that local school boards disapprove of." Robertson also hit Dole on abortion. "Our voters believe in a total ban on abortion and the reversal of Roe by the Supreme Court. Senator Dole is out of the Republican mainstream on the sanctity of life." Dole responded, "I believe in an abortion ban at 12 weeks except in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother. I agree with Mr. Robertson that we should appoint Supreme Court justices that will overturn Roe v. Wade and allow a conservative Congress to institute my abortion ban."

When Robertson finally got through his long-winded criticisms of the frontrunner, it was Bush's turn to attack. "Senator Dole is soft on communism and would keep in place the economic entitlements passed by President Glenn. As President, I would streamline Social Security and Medicare benefits in order to keep both plans solvent. The American Enterprise Institute reported that Social Security at its current pace will be out of money by 2005, and Medicare by 2008. Senator Dole's plan does not go far enough to ensure that Social Security and Medicare are protected." Dole responded, "I am one of the fiercest opponents of Communism in the Senate, and do not trust Mr. Gorbachev on any issue. I will confront Mr. Gorbachev and any other Soviet leader that succeeds him, considering the fact that his position as General Secretary remains tenuous after the coup in Moscow." Bush was quick to attack the response. "Senator Dole supports the Glenn agenda of trusting General Secretary Gorbachev and is almost in line with the Democratic Party's stance on fighting Communism. This is out of step with Republican and independent voters." After the debate, a Gallup poll still had Dole in the lead, but the gap between Dole, Robertson and Bush narrowed. Dole led with 30 percent, followed by Bush with 25 percent and Robertson with 22 percent. Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee pulled up the rear with 10 percent, and almost accepted the fact that he was running for Vice President during the debate. "We'll go to Iowa and see how it plays out," Baker said. "I need more donors to support my campaign in order to continue.

R.png
R.jpg
R.jpg

NFL ROUNDUP: GIANTS ROLL TO 7-0; 49ERS APPEAR TO BE ONLY CHALLENGER TO NEW YORK
BEARS STABILIZE SHIP: WIN FOUR STRAIGHT AS DOUG WILLIAMS SOLIDIFIES STARTING ROLE AT QUARTERBACK

The New York Giants continued to steamroll the rest of the league with the San Francisco 49ers the only team to seriously challenge them so far on their way to a 7-0 record at the end of October. At Giants Stadium, the meeting between the NFC rivals with two Super Bowls apiece in the 1980s was met with fanfare as it was the first time the two teams met since New York's 49-3 blowout in last year's divisional playoff. In the early going, this game looked like a replay of last year with Joe Montana getting knocked out and the 49ers trailing 17-3 at the half. However, newly acquired backup QB Steve Young used his mobility to escape the Giants' fierce pass rush and threw for three touchdowns in the second half; two to Jerry Rice and one to John Taylor. The Giants, trailing 24-20 with 2 minutes left, took the lead with a Joe Morris touchdown run. On the game's last drive, Young got the 49ers within range of a tying field goal, but the 50-yard kick hit the right upright, and New York remained undefeated. The next week, the Giants met the rival Washington Redskins and dismantled their NFC East foe 38-19 with three touchdown passes from Phil Simms to Mark Bavaro. The Giants then easily defeated the lowly Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Cardinals to reach 7-0. San Francisco, despite the loss at Giants Stadium, kept pace by winning their next three games for a 6-1 start.

In Chicago, Doug Williams appears to have taken the starting job at quarterback from Jim McMahon. In a grudge match between Mike Ditka and his former defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, the Bears got a 175 yard, two touchdown rushing performance from Walter Payton and no turnovers from Williams to defeat the Eagles 27-17. The Bears then defeated the Minnesota Vikings, who surprisingly took the NFC Central in 1986, 21-10 in a defensive struggle, with Payton once again scoring twice and Doug Williams once again protecting the football. Chicago then went to New Orleans in what was expected to be a battle of two of the top defenses in the league not wearing Giants blue. This time, Williams surprised everybody with a very strong performance, hitting his wide receivers for scores: Willie Gault for two touchdowns and Dennis McKinnon for two more, as the Bears rolled the Saints 35-10. Last week, the Bears shut out the lowly Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-0 to run their record to 5-2. Chicago seems to have found its groove at the right time. In four starts, Doug Williams has only turned the ball over once. Walter Payton scored five touchdowns, and the passing game has finally clicked into gear.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION EPISODES

Hat tip to @Plus-Sized Scribe for one of the episodes in this update.

EPISODE 5: WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE. Airdate: October 6, 1987.

EPISODE 6: 11001001. Airdate: October 20, 1987

EPISODE 7: TERMINUS. Airdate: October 27, 1987. On a mission to Bynax II, Picard meets his old friend Ty Norsen (played by Rutger Hauer). Norsen sends a distress signal. An unidentified object approaches the Enterprise at Bynax II. It is discovered to be mechanical in nature, and its speed is increasing. Everyone is worried except for Data, who loses his emotional control and starts to laugh unexpectedly. Geordi leads an away team to the planet, and they find that there are people living underground after detecting no life on the planet's surface. Norsen moved them underground, which chafes Geordi and Riker; they think that Norsen has an ulterior motive. Geordi's VISOR detects unusual energy, but Norsen is uncooperative and refuses to allow the away team to investigate. Geordi goes ahead anyway and finds another object that is identical to the object in space. The object in space sends gamma rays at the surface, killing people, while the away team and Norsen beam back to the Enterprise. It turns out that Data's positronic brain was controlled by the object in space, and the object made a copy of the android. Data feels responsible for the deaths of those on the planet below. As it turns out, Benjamin Pulaski discovers how to defuse the situation. The objects are fused together on the planet's surface, and the Data copy is destroyed. The combined object revives the "dead" people on the surface. Norsen thanks Picard for his help and the Enterprise goes onto another mission.

Ah… there’s the blowback. I agree with Gerrold here. Also although Phoenix is a cast member Benjamin is not Wesley from OTL- for a start he has friends his age on the ship which means he will not be awkwardly interacting with the Adults like Wesley did. Also I feel given the expanded main cast of officers that Ben will be way more background than Wesley.

There certainly should not be ‘teen genius saves the ship’ that often. I could see Ben leave the show after acing his Academy exams (on the second try) in s3 or thereabouts.

If River is very accepted in the role maybe a Starfleet Academy mini-series could be on the cards for summer 89?

What are the Democrats up to while the Republicans make lots of noise with the candidates?

Is TNG airing on cable/satellite in the UK or does the BBC have it?