WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll do a rough draft but I would absolutely like someone to help iron out that draft into something more coherent. If you're unavailable I'd greatly appreciate it if Ogrebear, SubparLario, Scorpius72 and others could contribute and help, either with ideas or with corrections
I'm also available this weekend and wouldn't mind helping out!

I'll do a rough draft but I would absolutely like someone to help iron out that draft into something more coherent. If you're unavailable I'd greatly appreciate it if Ogrebear, SubparLario, Scorpius72 and others could contribute and help, either with ideas or with corrections
Sure I an give it a read and suggest.

I've sent you each a thread containing the outline, as well as some other ideas.

Edit:

1.) Here are two VERY interesting pages describing how Heir to the Empire originated.

Basically, Lou Aronica from Bantam Spectra wrote a pitch to Lucasfilm in 1988 asking for a line of books as ambitious as the films. A year later Lucy Wilson (who worked at Lucasfilm) was inspired by going to a book fair to try and do research after Lucas approved. Ballantine Books passed and Wilson came across Aronica's pitch. Betsy Mitchell recommended Zahn, and in November 1989 Zahn got the call. He also got a box of WEG materials and used that to help flesh out the world of the books, and he managed to create it in 6 months. The trilogy doing well was one of the things that inspired Lucas to start writing things out

2.) Apparently this is how the Phantom Menace's production played out.

April 1994: They start looking for artists and other personnel
November 1 1994: Lucas starts writing the Prequel trilogy (apparently Anakin was originally supposed to be 12 but he felt that him being 9 suited him being separated from his mother better; not sure I agree with it but I can see the logic behind it). This in turn led to Anakin's participation in major scenes being rewritten.
Filming occurred between June 26 1997 and September 30th 1997 (with some reshoots filmed between August 1998 and February 1999).

According to Ron Howard he Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis were all asked to direct but each turned him down. Lucas only directed because they said he should do it.

The New Jedi Order series doing extremely well might make Lucas more convince of future stories being viable; however, because the technology isn't quite up to snuff he's not entirely sold on further movies JUST yet. He is however, more willing to back the idea of a novel trilogy, and even takes more of a role in approving it (i.e. he asks to see the proposed outline before he signs off on approving a book). Aronica's idea is followed up immediately rather than being delayed for a year, and initially a novel trilogy is proposed; Zahn gets contacted earlier than OTL, and is asked to write up an in depth outline for review. Lucas reads it.....and is genuinely impressed by it to the point he meets with Zahn to discuss things further. Lucas and Zahn end up having long discussions, and from there the outline for the new sequel trilogy is dreamed up (they combine ideas that they have). Other novels and comics are also published in the mean time to gauge public interest. These do well and so they decide to go ahead with it.

The Thrawn Trilogy starts in 1994. Movie 2 is either 1996 or 1997, and Movie 3 is either 1998 or 2000. Considering that Harrison Ford wouldn't come back to TFA unless he was killed off I can see such a thing being done to accommodate his desires. If Dark Force Rising is the Darkest Hour of the trilogy I can see Han dying during the climax (creating a tragic ending where Leia's pregnant but will be raising her kids without Han.) If

The prequels on the other hand, might not get going until the mid to late 2000s in that case.

Last edited:
Chapter 234: February 1988
Shorter update today. Most of the storylines from the last update will appear in the March 1988 update which will be a lot longer.

OIP.jpg
R.jpg

STAR TREK FANS FURIOUS WITH PARAMOUNT OVER BOTCHED CBS DEAL

Fans of the billion-dollar science fiction franchise camped outside the Paramount lot to voice their displeasure with the studio over plans to sell the property to CBS for $135 million. The deal became public after Starfleet Intelligence stars Nichelle Nichols and Ron Perlman appeared on a CBS NFL broadcast last month. Although none of the actors from any of the Star Trek series joined the protesters, Patrick Stewart reportedly gave them a thumbs up as he drove through the Paramount gate. "How dare the Paramount executives who don't know their head from their ass double-cross the fans who have been loyal to Star Trek and by extension, Paramount, over the past 20 years," John from Pasadena said, with a placard reading ’Paramount is Judas.’“ Other fans credited Gene Roddenberry with saving Star Trek again, just like he did in the 1960s. "Paramount wants the NFL over Star Trek, and they're forgetting what makes their television network popular," Mark from Santa Barbara told us. "I know Gene Roddenberry did some controversial things in relation to the first Star Trek series, like when he screwed with Robert Justman, but he has to protect his creation as best he can as long as he can. He knows that CBS will destroy his original vision and turn Star Trek into a war series, when it should be about seeking out new life and new civilizations and keeping the peace in the galaxy." Claire from Anaheim also attended the protest and remembered how Paramount wanted to kill Star Trek. "I go back to 1966 and Paramount wanted to end Star Trek and our hopeful vision for the future back then. Even going back to Desilu, when they were about to merge with Paramount. They tried to kill Star Trek, but the fans will keep it alive forever, because Roddenberry's ideals will last forever."

Rumors abounded that Paramount wants to outbid CBS for the NFL and its parent company, Gulf and Western, does not want to streamline its non-entertainment holdings to acquire the finances to raise the money. A source from Gulf and Western reportedly said that "we have sold enough land in the Dominican Republic and there is no way we will sell even one acre more. Paramount is self-sufficient and doesn't need help from our other industries.” An unnamed Paramount executive reportedly said at a board meeting, "It's either Star Trek or the NFL. We can't afford both. It costs a lot to make Star Trek and the NFL gives us a greater return on our investment, despite it only being broadcast for 5 months instead of an entire year. The NFL costs far more, including the bidding for broadcast rights and improving the production values to make it a more modern product." Despite Paramount's desire to take CBS's NFL rights as fast as possible, a young executive, Rick Berman, argued the opposite. "We can broadcast both Star Trek and the National Football Conference's NFL games in the 1990s. We're already broadcasting Sunday Night Football. If we bide our time, we'll earn the money organically and win the big NFL deal while keeping Star Trek on our network. That's what happened when the first Star Trek movie came out and blitzed the box office. We used that money to acquire Disney. The National Football Conference games cost far less than Disney."

gettyimages-1083515084-594x594.jpg
OIP.jpg

PATRICK STEWART: PICARD IS THE BEST CHARACTER I HAVE EVER PLAYED, BUT THE DAILY GRIND IS HARD
STAR TREK V BEGINS FILMING

Patrick Stewart, who reportedly expressed disillusionment at his Captain Picard character being unfavorably compared to the legendary William Shatner's Captain Kirk, changed his tune and believes Picard is the best character he has ever played. He compared Picard to King Henry V in Shakespeare. "One of my favorite plays is Henry V, and I feel like Picard is best when he makes inspirational speeches. I don't think there's a more inspirational speech than Henry V at Agincourt and the writers are giving me a chance to do that almost every week." Stewart believes as the series continues, he will approach Shatner's popularity. "I understand that Kirk is more popular than Picard, because I've only been sitting in the captain's chair for a year, while Shatner's been there for over 20 years. Eventually I'll get there." When asked about Star Trek: The Next Generation losing 13 million viewers in comparison to the original Star Trek, Stewart voiced some optimism. "We're going through some growing pains, but trends in American television generally show that a good series will gain popularity in its second and third seasons, and I believe that Star Trek: The Next Generation is a very good series. The fact that we're still holding 27 million viewers and are a top-ten drama is only good news for us." Stewart also opined on the Paramount/CBS deal. "I like how Paramount treated us, so I don't understand why they want to let go of us. Maybe they think that American football means more to them."

In other Star Trek news, the original Trek cast, which Stewart believes is still more popular than his Enterprise crew, began filming Star Trek V with Gene Roddenberry at the helm. William Shatner believes it is good news that Roddenberry is back and is willing to do anything to ensure that his potential final involvement in Trek is a success. "Gene had some troubles in his personal life but is doing better now, and his health is holding up. If he is able to keep up the pace, God-willing, we'll send him out very successfully." Leonard Nimoy commented that Roddenberry "made it all possible for us. Although there were times when I believed Gene's decision making was erratic, there is no Star Trek without him and we're going to work even harder to ensure he makes the best movie possible." DeForest Kelley was saddened that Roddenberry was aging and said that he is also nearing retirement. "Aside from voice work and Star Trek, I'm pretty much done in Hollywood, and I'm content with my career. I think Gene wants this one last hurrah and I think I want it too. I wqnt to spend more time with my wife Carolyn."

WRITERS, STUDIOS REACH BREAKTHROUGH, BUT WRITER DEMANDS NOT FULLY MET; WGA STRIKE STILL LOOMS

The Writer's Guild of America's contract with the studios expired at the end of February and the WGA still plans a strike, despite the fact that some breakthroughs were made in negotiations. The writers earned a key concession; producers would not cut costs reducing the amount of the pie the writers received. This concession was hammered out by David Gerrold, acting as the key intermediary between the writers and producers. "We got the producers to keep costs the same," Gerrold said. "That's a big victory for the writers because their pay would not get significantly cut. However, I still believe the writers will strike because the studios aren't budging on residual pay, especially residuals over VCR and other media, and foreign broadcast residuals." The writers are also upset that the studios are not willing to afford them expanded creative rights. Star Trek writer Tracy Torme commented that the major studios are still trying to hamstring the writers. "David Gerrold and our union are doing the best they can to negotiate with Paramount, Fox, Warner Brothers, etcetera, but the fact that they are unwilling to give creative freedom to us and ensure our residual pay means we have no choice but to strike. I cannot see an end to this impasse, especially if the residual pay is not resolved in our favor."

VP_George_Bush_crop.jpg
Robert_J._Dole_(cropped2).jpg
Pat_Robertson_speaks_about_the_national_deficit_(1).jpg

STATE OF THE 1988 REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTAL PRIMARY AFTER FEBRUARY'S PRIMARIES

A close race continued between Senator Bob Dole and former CIA director George Bush for the 1988 Republican nomination. Pat Robertson, the televangelist, struggled to gain traction despite his win in Hawaii, but chose to remain in the race and declared that he would take his candidacy all the way to the convention, scheduled in July. The results of the February caucuses and primaries are listed below.

Hawaii caucuses (February 4): Robertson 80%, Dole 10%, Bush 10%. Robertson wins all 23 delegates
Kansas caucuses (February 7): Dole 96%, Bush 2%, Robertson 2%. Dole wins all 34 delegates
Iowa caucuses (February 8): Dole 45%, Robertson 32%, Bush 23%. Dole wins 16 delegates, Robertson wins 7 delegates, Bush wins 5 delegates.
New Hampshire primary (February 16): Bush 48%, Dole 34%, Robertson 18%. Bush wins 11 delegates, Dole wins 6 delegates, Robertson wins 1 delegate.
Nevada caucuses (February 18): Bush 38%, Dole 34%, Robertson 28%. Bush wins 9 delegates, Dole wins 8 delegates, Robertson wins 6 delegates.
Minnesota primary (February 23): Dole 52%, Bush 25%, Robertson 23%. Dole wins 18 delegates, Bush wins 9 delegates, Robertson wins 7 delegates.
South Dakota primary (February 23): Dole 65%, Bush 18%, Robertson 17%. Dole wins 13 delegates, Bush wins 3 delegates, Robertson wins 3 delegates.
Wyoming caucuses (February 24): Dole 50%, Bush 33%, Robertson 17%, Dole wins 12 delegates, Bush wins 7 delegates, Robertson wins 1 delegate.
Maine caucuses (February 28): Bush 75%, Dole 13%, Robertson 12%. Bush wins all 23 delegates.

At the end of February, the Republican primary stood as follows (2296 delegates, 1149 required to win)

Bob Dole: 145 delegates
George H.W. Bush: 101 delegates
Pat Robertson: 57 delegates

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION EPISODES

Hat tip to @Plus-Sized Scribe for episode 19.

EPISODE 17: THE PORPHYRAN SNARE. (Airdate: February 2, 1987). While investigating the properties of unusual solar flares at the Croelus star system, Captain Picard receives a Priority One message from Starfleet. Admiral Petrosian informs Picard that a science vessel, the Coriolanus, went missing in the Romulan Neutral Zone. Enterprise is ordered to investigate. The Coriolanus was in the Porphyra system investigating an anomaly when it disappeared. The Enterprise travels to Porphyra III and discovers that the anomaly is not of natural origin; it was created by a quantum warp core and could theoretically only mean one thing; the Romulans crossed the Neutral Zone into Federation space, violating the Treaty of Algeron. Picard calls a red alert but two Romulan D'Deridex warbirds decloak and Sulla (Patrick Bauchau) greets Picard again. The Enterprise is trapped between the quantum warp core which the Coriolanus entered and two warbirds. The situation appears hopeless, but Barclay discovers that the two D'Deridex warbirds are simply an illusion. Picard orders Riker to fire the smallest bursts of phasers on the two warbirds, and Barclay's discovery is confirmed; the warbirds are indeed not real. Data determines that the quantum warp core which also disappeared must be created by someone or something on the surface of the planet.

They identify an energy source emanating from the planet; Geordi, Riker and Worf beam down to Porphyra III to investigate. The away team discovers that a ship from an ancient race, the Fortivans, produced the quantum warp core. Geordi's away team finds survivors from the Coriolanus, which was sucked into the quantum warp core, which acted similar to a black hole. The away team is attacked by unusual bursts of light; the Fortivans reveal themselves as natives of Porphyra III and declare the Federation their enemies. Troi senses that the Fortivans simply do not want to be intruded upon, and that the Federation encountered an intelligence they do not understand. Picard tries to communicate with the Fortivans and receives a reply from an energy being, who tells them to get out of the system. Picard replies that they and the Coriolanus were only on an exploration mission with zero intent of attacking them. The Fortivans reply that the Romulans entered the system and they were destroyed, and they believe the Federation has the same intention. Back on the planet, Geordi finds Sulla, who led the Romulan ships across the Neutral Zone, on the planet, and apprehends him. When Picard interrogates Sulla, Sulla responds that he wanted to defect from the Romulan Empire because his family was being held hostage by the Tal Shiar. Picard contacts the Fortivans again and asks Yar and Troi to negotiate; they successfully convince the Fortivans that the Federation will leave them alone. Picard keeps Sulla in custody and transports him to Starbase 85 to be detained, as he does not trust the subcommander.

EPISODE 18: CONSPIRACY. (Airdate: February 9, 1988).

EPISODE 19: WHAT WEAPONS HAVE YOU? (Airdate: February 16, 1988):
The Grand Seigniory of Harlecoste is a small but feared microstate controlling the tiny Sulremons System at the fringes of Federation space. They are infamous for their legendary Arsenal of Secrets, widely said to be a sealed weapons cache. The name was originally a dismissive nickname by a visiting ambassador who couldn't get information on its contents ("Oh, fine, keep your precious Arsenal of Secrets, then!") and it stuck. Now, legendary Tiburonian arch-criminal Thelarim (played by Telly Savalas) has set his sights on breaking into the Arsenal. If successful, this would be the first time anyone has penetrated its walls in over a millennium. However, Thelarim isn't going to do this himself. Oh no, he's going to have the crew of the Enterprise do it for him. After all, if they don't do as he says, he'll detonate the bomb his mole has attached to their warp core and kill the hostages he's taken, among them Benjamin and his friends, along with Counselor Yar. There's just one problem, as LaForge, Riker, and Worf find out.

The Arsenal of Secrets isn't actually an arsenal at all – it's the royal mausoleum. Worse still, Thelarim is quite willing to change his plans to be grave-robbing with intent to ransom, even as Yar desperately attempts to talk him down. Upon the discovery of the away team, the leaders of the Grand Seigniory threaten the Enterprise with total destruction, then promise a "brief, but utterly fatal bout of pest control" that will destroy the Federation. What seems like a lot of big talk is back up by new energy readings coming from the planet. It appears this weapon is quite real, and as the Enterprise crew attempt to find a way to defuse the situation, Data continues to note the slow, but alarmingly immense buildup of unknown energy beneath the surface of Harlecoste.

Last edited:
I also haven't mentioned Rick Berman until now because he's not involved in Star Trek yet ITTL. IRL Berman was there from the start of TNG He's a junior executive at Paramount here

As for Star Wars I'm going to talk about the New Jedi Order in the next update and George Lucas' case of burnout after ROTJ

I think I have most of the update planned for tomorrow, the TNG episodes will be Skin of Evil parts I and II and a Troi episode

I am curious about future Star Trek; Would there be a more developed arc involving the Borg and a greater invasion? I can see that being something that has a very long term impact on the Federation, which the Dominion War only makes worse.

I used to hang out at Stardestroyer.net (still do); the creator DOES like Trek but there were some problems he felt plagued things from TNG on. Parts of these essays are out of date (they were written 20 years ago and the writer's views have somewhat evolved) but I think a fair number of the points are fair to raise.

1.) Violation of basic engineering safety: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Engineering.html
2.) Slight racism: The aliens in Trek are treated as kind of a monolith in terms of culture (Klingons are all warriors, Romulans are all duplicitous), and they misuse what species means (basically it means they can't produce fertile offspring. So while a half human half vulcan is possible a QUARTER vulcan three third human really isn't). That TNG DOES imply that all the major species were genetically modified to evolve into compatible species.
3.) http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Philosophy.html
4.) http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Trek-Marxism.html

I also think that elements of the MMO could make it in. The Iconian storyline has a lot of potential for a myth arc, and actually delves into some of the Kelvinverse stuff (basically, the Iconians were the ones who caused the destruction of Romulus, alongside their Romulan agent Hakeev). One thing that stands out is that the entire thing is an ouroboros of revenge. In the future Romulus's destruction motivates Sela to get revenge on the Iconians; she ends up traveling to the past and attacking them during the cataclysmic event. This is what motivates the main leader of the Iconians (T'Ket) to become consumed with anger....which in turn leads to Romulus's destruction....which in turn leads to Sela trying to exterminate the Iconians in the past.

The player character is the one who informs both characters of this, and Sela actually has a Heel Realization....but T'Ket is too consumed with anger to care and is determined to continue her plans. In the MMO she escapes never to be seen again, but I think that T'Ket's defeat could be a good final arc for a hypothetical sixth Trek show (or even an alt dominion war).

I am curious about future Star Trek; Would there be a more developed arc involving the Borg and a greater invasion? I can see that being something that has a very long term impact on the Federation, which the Dominion War only makes worse.
I'm down for that! Especially if it ends up like the Legacy trilogy... which in turn could lead to the Typhon Pact saga.

That would be a good overarching theme. The Borg Invasion, rather than being just a single episode, possibly covers the entire Season (or a fair number of episodes). The Federation takes an increasingly militant stance, especially with the Dominion War. That could be a possible threat for later shows.

That would be a good overarching theme. The Borg Invasion, rather than being just a single episode, possibly covers the entire Season (or a fair number of episodes). The Federation takes an increasingly militant stance, especially with the Dominion War. That could be a possible threat for later shows.
If the Borg were used to explore this angle you probably wouldn't get a Dominion in DS9. It'd be too soon to avoid seeming like retreading old ground.

If the Borg were used to explore this angle you probably wouldn't get a Dominion in DS9. It'd be too soon to avoid seeming like retreading old ground.
Not if you make them a lot more.... subterfuge based. Not so much outright invaders, more infiltraitors and such.

Sneak in, cause havoc behind the scenes....

Not if you make them a lot more.... subterfuge based. Not so much outright invaders, more infiltraitors and such.

Sneak in, cause havoc behind the scenes....
That does not seem to be the Borg modus operandi.

I think the Borg work better like how they where used OTL; a threat followed by a probing invasion which caused massive changes in preparedness and doctrine, leading to ethical questions such as Hugh.

Should be noted that the Starfleet we have ITTL is anything as laid back as the OTL one due to different writers and circumstances on TNG S1 which should been the Borg shake up should be nice and interesting.

I don't think we need a 'Borg war' season(s) ITTL, to me it would lessen the impact of the Borg - they work better as a mysterious threat to me. Something to hang ethical episodes off, or an excuse to introduce new ship designs, or new characters, or do 'war games', but not something that needs to ever be 'resolved' as such.

That does not seem to be the Borg modus operandi.

I think the Borg work better like how they where used OTL; a threat followed by a probing invasion which caused massive changes in preparedness and doctrine, leading to ethical questions such as Hugh.

Should be noted that the Starfleet we have ITTL is anything as laid back as the OTL one due to different writers and circumstances on TNG S1 which should been the Borg shake up should be nice and interesting.

I don't think we need a 'Borg war' season(s) ITTL, to me it would lessen the impact of the Borg - they work better as a mysterious threat to me. Something to hang ethical episodes off, or an excuse to introduce new ship designs, or new characters, or do 'war games', but not something that needs to ever be 'resolved' as such.
No, I meant Changelings, not the Borg.

"The deal became public after Starfleet Intelligence stars Nichelle Nichols and Ron Perlman appeared on a CBS NFL broadcast last month. " - accidental leak I am sure.... :)

"Patrick Stewart reportedly gave them a thumbs up as he drove through the Paramount gate. " - I suspect this is actually true.

"...and turn Star Trek into a war series, when it should be about seeking out new life and new civilizations and keeping the peace in the galaxy. " - *cough* Discovery....

I wonder if the Trimble's where at the Protest or any of the 'backstage' crew?

"It's either Star Trek or the NFL. We can't afford both" - you can, you just need to perhaps purge the management, their salaries and bonuses? Perhaps perhaps listen to Berman?

"If we bide our time, we'll earn the money organically and win the big NFL deal while keeping Star Trek on our network. " - Berman is right on this one.

If Berman is not Paramounts 'man on the set' for TNG ITTL, who is on set to look over their interests?

"The fact that we're still holding 27 million viewers and are a top-ten drama is only good news for us." - ah the days of huge numbers watching TV. I think its only big news events can pull in that sort of viewing figure these days.

"I like how Paramount treated us, so I don't understand why they want to let go of us. " - to the point without any snark or insult calling. Classy as always Mr. Stewart.

"filming Star Trek V with Gene Roddenberry at the helm. " - hope someone is keeping an eye on the budget!

Does Star Trek V ITTL suffer from the same set problems it it OTL?

Quote from the Okuda's: The Star Trek 4 bridge had been dismantled and stored safely. During pre-production for Star Trek 5, the dismantled set, was temporarily placed in a parking lot, before it could be moved on to the soundstage. Each piece of the disassembled set was carefully wrapped in heavy plastic. Unfortunately, a freak wind and rain storm tore off the plastic and soaked the set overnight. Most of the set was damaged beyond repair. Production designer Herman Zimmerman was able to salvage some pieces, including the helm console , the platforms, and the turbo lift alcoves. But all of the main work stations and their graphics had to be re-created from scratch
I am hoping ITTL's ST:V is a lot less of a production tragedy.

"I think Gene wants this one last hurrah and I think I want it too." - I am hoping we still get something like Undiscovered Country, though the Praxis explosion would be make one heck of a plot to start Captain Sulu's film series off with.... hummmmm

" the studios aren't budging on residual pay, especially residuals over VCR and other media, and foreign broadcast residuals."- I think the Corps will have to bend on this one. Any sign one of the studios may give ground, forcing the others too move as well?

"the Republican primary stood as follows (2296 delegates, 1149 required to win)" - with the numbers each candidate has got, there seems a long way to go here.

EPISODE 17: THE PORPHYRAN SNARE. - bit of excitement, action and diplomacy in this one. Like it. Question though "Coriolanus, went missing in the Romulan Neutral Zone." - so the Starfleet ship was INSIDE the Neutral Zone? Isn't that a treaty violation?

"Geordi finds Sulla, who led the Romulan ships across the Neutral Zone," - only 1 Romulan survivor? From multiple ships? Seems Sus to me.

EPISODE 18: CONSPIRACY. - Let's hope the parasite infestation is followed up on this time. Perhaps some new bio-filters for the transporters? Does Paramount still get lots of comments on the 'phasering the monster scene'?

EPISODE 19: WHAT WEAPONS HAVE YOU? - Sounds like Thelarim is good scenery chewing for Savalas there. Surprised Barclay allowed any sort of 'device' near his Engines! I am betting the energy build up under the surface is the unstable energy core for the real weapon they have pointed at the Enterprise, and the Enterprise crew will have to find a way to harness it correctly to save the world.

Looking forward to more!