WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Plus the Federation has to deal with the implications of promising not to develop a superweapon in the Altair VI peace treaty that ended the Sherman's Planet war, and developing Genesis in secret
will it influence the treaty of algeron? (in that it might never exist here)

In the last Exiles chapter, Admiral Cartwright brings up the idea that the Klingons can't be trusted and that Kirk's actions were heroic. I could have Cartwright form his own bloc of officers who oppose Kirk's punishment
Could be the inciting incident for what causes him to "go bad"?

I do like the idea of the President hearing some very..... bad rumors from Starfleet. Rumors about how he sold out one of their heroes, breaking a deal they'd alreayd made to accept punishment, all to appease their enemies.

That's not gonna sound well.

I do like the idea of the President hearing some very..... bad rumors from Starfleet. Rumors about how he sold out one of their heroes, breaking a deal they'd alreayd made to accept punishment, all to appease their enemies.

That's not gonna sound well.
Cartwright developing his own group of loyalists within Starfleet (with Kirk as a loyalist-adjacent, but not fully on board) could definitely be a part of some storylines going forward including The Undiscovered Country.

I’ll see if I have the creative energy to write another chapter of Exiles tonight

Star Trek Exiles: Part III
Surprise update tonight.

STAR TREK EXILES--PART 3

Admiral Cartwright clicked on his telescreen. He expected one of his most loyal officers, his aide-de-camp Captain Renshaw, to report back the news that the Federation Council would convene again to reconsider. But Cartwright had another motive. He tasked Renshaw to leak the news of Admiral Morrow's broken promise to Admiral Kirk to venerable reporter Leland Cronkite. The descendant of famed 20th century reporter Walter Cronkite, Leland lived up to the family legacy and became to the Federation's public what his ancestor Walter was to the United States in a period of major tension in Earth's history. Cartwright called up Renshaw.

"Captain Renshaw, have you contacted our source?" the admiral demanded.

Renshaw replied in his British accent. "Aye, sir. We told her everything yesterday and we expect the entire Alpha Quadrant to know about the betrayal sometime today. 1700 hours, most likely, San Francisco time."

Cartwright raised his voice. "The Federation public needs to know everything. One of its greatest heroes is being railroaded by the effete diplomats on the Council. This will not stand. We are appeasing the Klingons only a few years after they declared war on us. How dare the Council act in this way."

"Appeasement. Neville Chamberlain, 1938." Renshaw remembered the history of his old kingdom. "The lowest point in British history, at least until World War III."

"Don't remind me, Renshaw. If Admiral Kirk is punished, there will be another war. The Klingons pounce on our weakness." Cartwright lowered his voice sternly.

"Cronkite knows everything," Renshaw assured the admiral.

"Cartwright out." Almost immediately after Cartwright dismissed Renshaw, the Federation News Network interrupted the Andorian opera playing on television. Cartwright was not a fan of Andorian opera, to say the least.

"This is a Federation News Network special report. Now reporting, Leland Cronkite." An older gentleman resembling Walter Cronkite appeared on the telescreen.

"This is Leland Cronkite bringing you this special bulletin. We have details on the negotiations between Starfleet Commander Harold Morrow and Admiral James T. Kirk, who stole the USS Enterprise and scuttled it almost two and a half Earth months ago. Admiral Morrow initially recommended ten years of confinement in a Federation penal facility for Admiral Kirk for committing nine breaches of Starfleet regulations. Sources close to Morrow told Federation News Network that Morrow's old friendship with Kirk allowed the Starfleet Commander some leeway on determining the disciplinary measures. Other sources within Starfleet determined that Admiral Kirk agreed to a five-year prison sentence, which Morrow also agreed to. However, the Federation Council recommended a life sentence for Admiral Kirk. Morrow, instead of advocating for Admiral Kirk as he promised, agreed with the Council. We are hearing reports that several Starfleet captains, including the captains of the Yorktown, Ticonderoga, Resolute, Hood, and T'Plana-hath, will turn in their resignations if Kirk stands trial. Sympathy towards Admiral Kirk runs deep in Starfleet due to his heroism in the Sherman's Planet war, and the potential resignations of some of Starfleet's leading officers is of incredible concern to Morrow at his headquarters in San Francisco. Federation News Network has also heard that a special meeting of the Federation Council will convene tomorrow, with Klingon Ambassador Kamarag in attendance, to deal with the controversy. Kamarag is expected to ask for the crew of the former USS Enterprise to be extradited to Klingon authorities. This is Leland Cronkite for Federation News Network."

Morrow was also watching the news, and whispered a simple command to one of his aides. "Get Cartwright in my office, right now."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scotty, Uhura, Chekov and Sulu heard the report.

"Someone threw the cat among the pigeons high up in Starfleet," Sulu said. "I bet Starfleet Commander Morrow is fuming."

"Not as much as the Federation Council diplomats," Uhura replied. "They promised the Klingon ambassador that Admiral Kirk would never be a free man again. Now there's a controversy because Morrow was not a man of his word."

"At least a dozen starship captains are going to turn in their badges," Chekov said.

"Pavel, If we weren't fugitives, I'd be a captain in no time with all of them deciding to call it quits," Sulu chuckled.

"Aye," Scotty laughed. "They have a big kerfluffle back on Earth and nobody is going to win."

Sulu laid out the scenarios. "Either the Federation Council wins out and Starfleet has a mutiny on its hands, or Morrow keeps his word and is sacked from Starfleet Command by the politicians."

"Perfectly logical," Scotty quipped. "Have you been talking to Spock lately?"

"Spock only wants the Admiral and the doctor around. He's still suffering from the trauma of being resurrected from death." Sulu was a little disappointed that the Vulcan was closing off his counsel to everybody but Kirk and Bones.

"Any of us would." Chekov agreed with Sulu's assessment.

"Pavel, I'm going to get a communique from Commander Battles soon. I want you present. I'm expecting a very important message." Uhura then turned to Scotty. "After I'm done with my business with Pavel, you and I are going to have some personal time."

Scotty smiled. "I am the luckiest man in the galaxy."

Chekov turned back to Uhura. "I think we have a Matryoshka doll of a situation here."

"We do indeed," Uhura whispered.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kirk, Spock and McCoy met in Spock's quarters. The admiral wanted to comfort his two closest friends, who were still suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Spock would never admit it, but his human side, long suppressed by his Vulcan upbringing, was causing him more pain than ever; emotional pain that he was not used to. Bones' sleep was improving but still fitful; he also struggled with some elements of recall, as his brain was still rewiring itself from the Vulcan mind meld.

"I heard you were hitting it off nicely," Kirk said. "How are both of you dealing?"

"A human colloquialism, 'dealing,'" Spock said.

"He is asking you how you are faring emotionally and spiritually," Bones quipped sarcastically.

"Spiritually, I have my katra returned to my body. I am a Vulcan, so emotion is not relevant in this instance." Kirk and Bones shot less than believing looks at their science officer.

"Spock, you're still suffering," Kirk said.

"I disagree with your assessment, Jim."

"As a doctor and a psychologist, I am in agreement with the admiral." Bones continued to prod at his Vulcan foil. "You're still in pain. At the very minimum, your logical Vulcan mind is wondering how you were resurrected. Logic does not apply in that situation."

"My mother Amanda believed I was very 'unnerved' by my experience." Spock turned to Bones. "I told her it is impossible for a Vulcan to be 'unnerved.' She did not agree. She told me to look at the logic. No other individual in recorded history has ever been resurrected from the dead. Therefore, I am technically unique, and am processing information that is impossible to comprehend."

"Spock, I remember when we were stranded on the Galileo." Bones put his hand on Spock's shoulder. "You were quite unnerved. It was your first time in command facing the no-win scenario. You applied cold logic and we lost two of our seven crew. Don't tell me that Vulcans don't feel emotion. You just suppress it to an unhealthy extreme."

"That is what my mother told me." Spock turned to Kirk. "I heard that there is a controversy back on Earth in reference to your actions."

"I know a few people within Starfleet Command, back when I was leading Operations," Kirk said. "Harold didn't keep his end of the bargain, so I went through backchannels."

"Jim, I guess you don't believe in the no-win scenario," Bones laughed.

"If Spock faced the no-win scenario and saved us all, the least I could do is reveal a man's cowardice." Kirk turned to Spock. "In two weeks, we return to Earth. Are you well enough to travel in space?"

"I am, Admiral. My body has recovered faster than my mind. I am still finding difficulty in successfully navigating the Vulcan Science Institute exams."

"You'll pass with flying colors," Kirk told his Vulcan science officer. "I have a meeting to attend. I'll be back in a few. In the meantime, continue to rest up. You'll both need it." Kirk walked out of Spock's quarters with a smile on his face.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Uhura and Chekov opened the coded communique Commander Battles sent them.

"Battles here. I got in contact with Captain Renshaw, Admiral Cartwright's aide. He received Admiral Kirk's message and relayed it to Cartwright. The Admiral is on your side in this dispute. The Federation Council does not know what to do in respect to your disposition. Their plans have been foiled, as of this moment. Morrow could be forced to resign due to the plea bargain details leaking. I will keep on monitoring the situation. Battles out."

Admiral Kirk walked in. "So what good news do you have for me, Commander Uhura?"

"Your plan worked," Uhura smiled. "You suspected that Morrow would be in serious trouble for backing out of his deal with you, and my source in Intelligence told me that Morrow might have to turn his badge in."

"Now everything is out in the open." Chekov turned to Kirk. "They cannot run a show trial like in Mother Russia."

"Both of you realize that the public's sympathy is on my side," Kirk said. "The whole idea was to convince the Federation public that I was being given a raw deal. They would have accepted my plea deal with Morrow."

"So the Federation Council overreached," Chekov said.

"They did, and they will cost Morrow his job, even though Harold was in an impossible situation." Kirk frowned. "I honestly don't believe this is Morrow's fault. The diplomats want to make peace with the Klingons, and I'm the sacrificial lamb. As both of you know, I will never play the role of a sacrificial lamb..."

Last edited:
In the last Exiles chapter, Admiral Cartwright brings up the idea that the Klingons can't be trusted and that Kirk's actions were heroic. I could have Cartwright form his own bloc of officers who oppose Kirk's punishment
Kirk is an even more famous hero ITTL than IOTL's canon--he won the Sherman's Planet war in my TMP vs. the same Klingons who want him imprisoned at best in a Federation facility, or at worst on Rura Penthe. With the same Klingons involved in trying to steal Genesis just like OTL.
Would Cartwright attempt to exonerate Kirk due to his war record or his attempts at preventing Genesis from falling to Klingon hands? Both are likely but even one would definitely suffice for his motivation to free Kirk.

Plus the Federation has to deal with the implications of promising not to develop a superweapon in the Altair VI peace treaty that ended the Sherman's Planet war, and developing Genesis in secret
I'm hoping the Klingons will push this as a threat for another war if the Federation fails to punish Kirk. Brings more suspense that way.

Maybe in Star Trek VI Kirk will be more explicit in aligning himself with Cartwright (due to his efforts in exonerating him) until he finds out the depths he is willing to take to prevent the ITTL Khitomer Accords from happening.

"They did, and they will cost Morrow his job, even though Harold was in an impossible situation." Kirk frowned. "I honestly don't believe this is Morrow's fault. The diplomats want to make peace with the Klingons, and I'm the sacrificial lamb. As both of you know, I will never play the role of a sacrificial lamb..."
I'm really liking this complex situation that's arising as a result of Kirk's trial. We got hints of that in ST: IV (and it was resolved rather quickly) but never to this level of detail. There's a lot more at stake with Kirk and no one is going to leave this situation particularly happy about the results.

Would Cartwright attempt to exonerate Kirk due to his war record or his attempts at preventing Genesis from falling to Klingon hands? Both are likely but even one would definitely suffice for his motivation to free Kirk.

I'm hoping the Klingons will push this as a threat for another war if the Federation fails to punish Kirk. Brings more suspense that way.

Maybe in Star Trek VI Kirk will be more explicit in aligning himself with Cartwright (due to his efforts in exonerating him) until he finds out the depths he is willing to take to prevent the ITTL Khitomer Accords from happening.

I'm really liking this complex situation that's arising as a result of Kirk's trial. We got hints of that in ST: IV (and it was resolved rather quickly) but never to this level of detail. There's a lot more at stake with Kirk and no one is going to leave this situation particularly happy about the results.
Cartwright is going to do exactly that. He'll try to exonerate Kirk but you know that's going nowhere, even with these revelations. The Federation Council is humiliated and will not stand for what they consider Starfleet shenanigans. So Cartwright is going to build up his power base against the diplomats, leading to what happens in ST:VI.

We saw in Star Trek IV that Kamarag called the Federation duplicitous as his Empire was sending delegations to negotiate a peace. I think in the next chapter Kamarag is going to threaten war.

I'm going to go into more backstory on Kirk and Cartwright at some point in Exiles. They go way back and are pretty close friends. So when Cartwright turns to the dark side, Kirk is even more shocked in ST:VI than IOTL.

Kirk leaking out Morrow's betrayal to people he knows on Earth (in this story through Uhura's Starfleet Intelligence cell) is exactly within his character when he feels like he's been wronged

I am still hoping the relatives of those lost on the Grissom get a say/remembered- that is an act of Klingon aggression Cartwright can use.

I am still hoping the relatives of those lost on the Grissom get a say/remembered- that is an act of Klingon aggression Cartwright can use.
Kirk is using Cartwright for his purposes, and Cartwright is using Kirk for his...

Exiles Part IV will probably be longer:

--Federation Council meeting with President Roth, Andorian Ambassador Thras, Sarek, Kamarag, Morrow and Cartwright (that might take up half the update)
--Kamarag reports back to Klingon Chancellor Gorkon
--Spock resolving his PTSD and resolving his issues with Saavik over their baby (didn't address that in Part III)
--Some Kirk and Cartwright backstory (flashbacks fron Kirk's perspective)
--More intercepts from Uhura's SI cell on Earth, who were passing messages to and from Cartwright through Kirk this entire time
--A discussion between the crew over whether they should return to Earth or become fugitives
--Scotty finally wants to tie the knot with Uhura, knowing their careers are over
--Bones advises Kirk after the crew meets

The best part of this story is that I haven't fired a single phaser in anger while telling it (and probably won't have to). It's a thriller without needing to resort to violence

Last edited:
Interesting that you showed that for once OTL was better for palestinians and that it could have gone much worse for them. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, Israel in a different scenario could have expelled the entire Palestinian population (and IRL they expelled many Palestinians in 1948)

Star Trek Exiles: Part IV
This will be a much longer chapter. There's a lot more ground to cover.

STAR TREK EXILES--PART 4

"The Council is now in emergency session." President Roth's face displayed anger at the current events, specifically about how the Morrow-Kirk plea bargain details were leaked to the press. Roth wanted somebody to take the fall. The diplomats on the Council were untouchable, due to the fact that they could call for a vote of no-confidence on the President. So there was only one choice for Roth. Harold Morrow.

"Starfleet Commander Morrow, your presence is necessary to establish the facts in this manner. Do you deny any of the information presented on the Federation News Network regarding your plea deal with Admiral James T. Kirk." President Roth's face glowed a shade of red and his anger was palpable.

"Unfortunately, the information is accurate." Morrow groaned, knowing what would come next.'

"Why did you negotiate this deal with a fugitive from justice?" The President spoke sternly, although with slightly less anger.

"Admiral Kirk is a hero to billions in the Federation." Morrow began to logically measure his response. "I calculated that if I sentenced him to life imprisonment under the Starfleet Code of Justice, that I would risk a larger mutiny within the Federation. I'm already hearing it from at least a dozen starship captains. They want Admiral Kirk to at minimum receive a lighter sentence, if not complete exoneration. To put it figuratively, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place."

"Admiral Morrow, you must understand that any deal you make with a criminal of Admiral Kirk's stature must be agreed to by the Council. You understood from the beginning that the Council would never approve the light punishment you and Kirk agreed to." President Roth then dropped the hammer on Morrow. "As of this moment, you are relieved from your duties as Starfleet Commander. Admiral Bill Rossum will assume your duties."

"I am deeply sorry for my conduct in this instance, but I firmly believed that I had to tread a middle line in this situation." Morrow tried to defend himself one last time but was cut off at the pass.

Andorian ambassador Thras interrupted. "So you recommended one system of justice for Admiral Kirk and another for any other officer in Starfleet that commits mutiny? You are unfit for your post. We agree with the President; Admiral Rossum will prosecute Admiral Kirk when he and his crew return to Earth in twelve Earth days."

Admiral Cartwright then intervened. "Harold and I disagreed on this in some faces, but Harold's logic is sound in this instance, if it is necessary for Admiral Kirk to face justice." Ambassador Sarek was the only member of the Council who nodded in agreement. "The effete diplomats on the Council want to offer Admiral Kirk up as a sacrifice to the Klingons. How dare the Council fail to recognize that the Klingons were the aggressors in this matter!" Cartwright shouted. "In an act of barbarity, the Klingons destroyed the USS Grissom, with all hands lost aboard the ship. What about the mourning families, especially Captain Esteban's wife? Do they get any justice?"

"They will receive compensation for their losses," President Roth replied.

"There is no compensation that relieves the pain of losing their loved ones!" Cartwright yelled again. "How dare this Council act in concert with that pig Kamarag in appeasing his race of savages."

Kamarag then left his seat and walked up to Cartwright. Almost nose to nose with the tall admiral, Kamarag growled. "It is you humans, the notorious homo sapiens, who are the savages in this matter! You developed a weapon of galactic destruction in secret! You planned to destroy Kronos and the rest of the Empire. Klingon intelligence believes that more devices are in the planning stage!"

"You are lying through your teeth," Cartwright growled. "The Genesis device was defective. The protomatter was unstable and the scientists in charge of the project were decommissioned from their duties."

"SILENCE!" President Roth brought the entire Council to attention. "Admiral Cartwright, you are out of line. I have already addressed the Grissom matter. Whether it is to your satisfaction or not is immaterial. Starfleet Intelligence believes that the Klingons will build up forces for another war if we do not punish Admiral Kirk sufficiently."

"Like Admiral Morrow said, we really are stuck between a rock and a hard place, according to you Earthlings," Thras nodded in agreement with the President. "Admiral Kirk will face a life imprisonment. His crew will face ten to fifteen years in confinement for mutiny. The Council's stance is final and will not change."

"I firmly disagree with the logic the Council is using in this matter." Ambassador Sarek walked to the center of the Council floor, his robes flowing regally.

"You rise to speak, Ambassador Sarek?" President Roth impatiently responded to the venerable Vulcan.

"Starfleet Commander Morrow tried to walk what you humans call a fine line between what is necessary and what the Starfleet Code of Justice requires. He implemented a flexible, logical solution to the dilemma, and he is being punished with the loss of his position."

"Once again, Ambassador, the Starfleet Code of Justice cannot be contravened just because a perceived hero committed high crimes." President Roth frowned. "Why did you offer tacit support to the fugitives?"

"They acted in the way any group of humans would have in that instance." Sarek calculated. "Humans behave illogically, and Admiral Kirk's theft of the USS Enterprise I believe was unnecessary. However, in the matter of saving my son, there is no scenario where they would not have made the attempt. Starfleet Commander Morrow's behavior in this instance was appropriate. I yield the floor."

"Duly noted, Ambassador Sarek. Ambassador Thras' motion is agreed to by this Council, aye or nay?

Twelve of the fifteen council members raised their hands to approve. Two abstained. Sarek was the only member of the council who voted nay.

"So the matter is settled. The Council adjourns." President Roth walked sternly out of the room.

"I fear that Starfleet and the Federation is severely weakened by the Council's actions," Sarek told Morrow and Cartwright as they were leaving the chamber...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ambassador Kamarag retired to his anteroom. He was satisfied with the Council's debate, and could send a good report back to Chancellor Gorkon, who presented a dual front. Gorkon wanted to make peace with the Federation in an idealistic scenario but believed that he did not have a willing partner in President Roth due to the development of Project Genesis. Kamarag clicked his telescreen on and hailed Gorkon.

"Chancellor Gorkon, I have good and bad news." Kamarag cracked a smile for the first time all day.

"The Federation Council agreed with our position?" Gorkon questioned.

"They were unwilling to remand Admiral Kirk to us due to our incursion into Federation space but guaranteed a life sentence for Kirk and significant prison time for the rest of his fugitive crew."

"I am pleased with the result," Gorkon replied. "With Admiral Kirk no longer in the strategic picture, the Klingon Empire is in a more flexible position in relation to the Federation. We can demand the return of our colonies in exchange for a truce with the Federation, knowing that they have no strategic commander who can outwit us. If they do not return the colonies, we arm for war and take them by force. We are developing technology that will evade Federation ships. Once we develop the second-generation cloaking device, the Federation will have no choice but to accede to our demands."

"Why are you so hellbent on a peace treaty with the Federation?" Kamarag's smile suddenly turned to a frown. "Humans cannot be trusted with peace. They will continue to expand and expand until the Klingon Empire is reduced to a fraction of its size."

"Remember the old Klingon proverb: The greatest leaders prepare for both peace and war."

"Aye, Chancellor. Kamarag out."

Saavik was unsatisfied with her telepathic conversation with Spock. She knew, just like Admiral Kirk and Doctor McCoy, that Spock was traumatized by his resurrection. Despite Spock's Vulcan version of PTSD, Saavik still could not understand why he refused to remain on Vulcan to raise her child. She wanted to resolve the situation, one way or another. Spock's door rang again.

"I am meditating," Spock said. "Please return to my quarters another time."

"Captain Spock, it's Lieutenant Saavik."

"Enter."

Saavik walked in, still slightly intimidated by her mentor's presence. She tried to draw up the courage to challenge the Vulcan who in her mind was a legend. T'Pring, Spock's bonded mate from seven Vulcan years of age, did not want to be the consort of a legend, but Saavik, another member of Starfleet, desired Spock. Her problem was that Spock did not desire her.

"Your stance on our child is illogical," Saavik said, her voice trembling. "I believe that your trauma will resolve more efficiently if you remain on Vulcan, become a father, and raise our child together."

"Lieutenant Saavik, I disagree. I believe your logic is faulty in this instance. We will always communicate via telepathy. As a matter of fact, you proved that you could communicate with me through an extremely long distance. My physical presence is not required. I will return to Vulcan at times to greet my child and remind him of the Vulcan traditions. However, our daughter is your child to raise." Spock coldly looked at his protege. "I believe it is best that we largely remain separate at this moment in time."

"Dammit! You do not understand! Doesn't your human side believe that you need to love your child in person?" Saavik started crying and started to pound his chest. "You are just going to leave me with a baby daughter and cavort with your friends from the Enterprise?"

"I do not 'cavort' with them. It is my duty as a Starfleet officer to serve the Federation. You understood that when you were a cadet, and that fact remains. Once again, my stance on this issue is unchanged. I will return to Vulcan as necessary when you need assistance with raising our child. However, my job with Starfleet is first and foremost."

"Your friends are more important than I am. I guess you'll never change." Saavik stormed out of the room.

Admiral Kirk did not need a backchannel to hear about the news on Earth. The Federation Council's decision regarding his status as a fugitive was final and broadcast to the entire Federation by Leland Cronkite. Damn the Federation public for them believing that he was a hero. Before his final resting place in a Federation penal colony, Kirk recalled his friendship with Lance Cartwright. When Kirk was a green ensign on the Farragut, then Lieutenant Commander Cartwright was his mentor as chief of security. Kirk pulled double duty as a helmsman and security officer. Cartwright was indelible to his growth as an officer. He was the first person to teach him how to fire a phaser properly. Kirk believed he was a master with the weapon, but he realized that his superior officer on the Farragut was a much better shot. That phaser training would serve him well when he beamed down to dangerous situations as a lieutenant under Captain Garrovick, and later as captain of his own ship.

Their friendship continued as Kirk rose up the ranks to command the Enterprise. By the time Kirk sat in the captain's chair on the flagship, Admiral Cartwright commanded Earth Spacedock. Kirk always wondered why Cartwright left his captaincy on the Constitution behind for a desk job on a starbase. Cartwright told him that he had his fill of danger, and wanted to eventually become Starfleet Commander, and that required him turning over his starship command. When Kirk eventually rose to admiral, he became Chief of Starfleet Operations, but he confided in Cartwright that he never really enjoyed the job. Unlike Lance, Jim always wanted to command a starship. The Sherman's Planet war was Kirk's triumphant return to the Enterprise, this time commanding a fleet to victory against superior Klingon forces. Kirk was a hero forever in the Federation for saving Delta IV from destruction. Or so he thought. As Kirk continued pondering his career arc, his door rang.

"Come in," Kirk said. "Ah, Commander Uhura and Commander Chekov. Do you have any more good news for me?"

"Unfortunately no," Uhura said. "I don't think we can subvert the entire Federation Council. Battles is keeping an eye on that mysterious signal deep in Klingon space. It is still headed for Earth and will arrive there in eleven days."

"They don't believe this signal is a threat?" Kirk appeared quizzical.

"The probe transmitting the signal stopped two Klingon ships from attacking it and damaged two Klingon colonies but has largely refrained from causing further damage to Klingon planets." Chekov raised more questions in Kirk's mind.

"So this creature that is transmitting the signal is sentient, is what you're telling me," Kirk said.

"We believe so," Chekov said. "We have unconfirmed reports from our unit back on Earth that Chancellor Gorkon is declining to attack the source of the signal after two of his wessels were disabled."

"I think this source of energy, or whatever it is, is extremely powerful and has a few surprises in store for us," Uhura said. "It isn't traveling on a beeline to Earth without a good reason."

"I agree," Kirk said. "Get me Admiral Cartwright on a coded channel. I think Earth is in danger."

"Aye, sir. We'll also contact Battles." Uhura and Chekov left. Kirk pondered whether he had a chance to escape the hangman's noose again...

"Battles, what more do you have for me on this signal from Klingon space?" Uhura needed to contact her second-in-command at Intelligence.

"We believe that the energy source is headed for Earth and has the power to disable all communications here if not stopped, based on what happened to those Klingon colonies." Battles' face appeared stern."

"Hi Nyota," Karlax interrupted.

"So this energy source decided to spare your people," Uhura interjected.

"Whatever this is knows not to pick a fight with us Klingons," Karlax laughed.

"I think whatever this is isn't interested in anything Klingon and was just defending itself. However, whatever this is could cause serious damage to Earth once it arrives." Uhura glared sternly at her favorite Klingon.

"Nyota, I also believe you fugitives are scheduled to arrive on Earth one Earth day after whatever this signal is arrives."

"Yes. We return to Earth in twelve days and the energy source is eleven days away. Any reports on the size of this source?"

"Not yet. It is too far away," Battles replied. "We'll continue to monitor.

"Thank you. Uhura and Chekov out."

Admiral Kirk convened a meeting with his crew again. He needed to know their opinions regarding what the Federation Council did. He expected that they would react negatively, and they did.

"So I'm in the slammer for life, and all the rest of you are locked up for at least a decade," Kirk said. "Should we return to Earth?"

"Only if they force us," Sulu said. "Morrow is disgraceful for backing out of his deal with you, Admiral."

"I agree," Chekov said. "We should take the Klingon Bird of Prey and abscond to some planet outside of Federation space."

"I also agree with a caveat," Uhura said. "My sources report that there is an energy source expected to arrive at Earth in eleven days."

"What energy source," Sulu said.

"We don't know for sure, but it was powerful enough to knock out two Birds of Prey and two Klingon colonies. The Klingons are fortunate that this probe of some sort is not engaging with them further." Uhura's face turned serious.

"Then we obviously have no means of stopping it," Kirk said. "This gives us the chance to stay on Vulcan a little longer. We might have more time to negotiate a settlement with the diplomats that is more favorable for us."

"Fat chance of that," Scotty laughed. "They want our heads on a platter."

"Not if we save the Earth again." Kirk put on his determined face. "I bet Earth will be in trouble soon and someone will have to intervene."

"Well if two Birds of Prey had no chance against this foreign object, we won't either," Scotty said. "Leaves us out of options."

"Scotty, we're dead already. We might as well go out as heroes instead of in Federation prison. Let's bide our time a little more.

"Aye, Admiral."

Uhura and Scotty met in the engineer's quarters. Scotty was surprisingly open to Uhura of late, possibly with the understanding that their lives were effectively over once they returned to Earth.

"Now you decide to be romantic with me," Uhura said. "After all these years, with our prison fates decided, we're having a fling."

"I think we're going to find a way out of this. The Admiral always figures these problems out." Scotty placed his arm around Uhura's shoulder.

"I'm working as hard as I can to get Kirk in communication with Admiral Cartwright, but the Admiral on Earth hasn't replied yet." Uhura was thinking business, but Scotty was thinking pleasure."

"Take your mind off of it for now. You're under a lot of stress. Admiral Kirk got us out of so many difficult spots in the past, and I trust him." Scotty leaned in to kiss Uhura, and she obliged.

"I want to marry you, Nyota."

"After all these years."

"If we get out of this spot, we'll tie the knot." Scotty smiled. Uhura kissed him back.

"I'm going to pick out the best wedding dress," Uhura's broad smile lit up the room.

"Aye, my love..."

"Jim, what are you thinking," Bones said over a shot of whiskey. "You're undecided."

"I'm trying to get Admiral Cartwright on a coded channel. I think Earth is under threat." Kirk frowned.

"That mysterious signal from space?" Bones shot back. "You always think mysterious signals from space are threatening. It's in your nature as a captain. This is what I would do if I were you. I'd kick back, down a few shots of my favorite poison, and let the fates decide what will be for us."

"I always need control," Kirk said. "Nothing is in my control. I used to have control over my ship, command over my career, and for a brief time, my son. It's all gone now. I hatched a hare-brained plan to plea bargain with Morrow and he turned his back. Nothing seems to be working."

"Everything will work out as it does. It might not work in our favor this time, but nature has a plan for all of us. Now down your whiskey."

"I guess you're right, Bones." The admiral and his trusted doctor took a shot of their favorite Tennessee whiskey.

"If that mysterious signal threatens Earth, we're going to leave Vulcan and combat it," Kirk said.

"Your drink is talking," Bones replied.

"I'd rather die as a hero than live in jail, Bones..."

Last edited:
The way I wrote it, Exiles Part 5 probably has to center around these storylines:

--Kirk's conversation with Cartwright
--Cartwright assembling a corps of officers to protest to the Federation Council, President Roth, and new Starfleet Commander Bill Rossum
--Sarek has a one-on-one conversation with President Roth, appealing for some form of clemency for Kirk and his crew
--The mysterious signal moving closer to Earth
--Starfleet Intelligence detects a Klingon force buildup near the Neutral Zone, but not in the path of the probe as they move their ships clear
--Spock and Bones recovering from their PTSD enough to join the rest of the crew in a meeting. They name their ship the Bounty

Any other ideas are welcome. I covered most of the ground in the past update and now I have to stick the landing

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit of follow up on what happened to Maltz, if that hasn't happened? Or maybe Kruge's family declaring a blood vengeance on Kirk?
Sorry for the double post, but this is what I was thinking---

Maltz gets traded back to the Klingons in exchange for a lighter sentence for Kirk; the Klingon ambassador balks after the exchange when he finds out the Federation Council reverts to the original terms Morrow proposed to Kirk

Last edited:
One more post for today...I'll try for three updates in the next 48 hours.

--Parts 5 and 6 of Exiles (to wrap up the story).
--October 1986, which will be a big update

Sorry for the double post, but this is what I was thinking---

Maltz gets traded back to the Klingons in exchange for a lighter sentence for Kirk; the Klingon ambassador balks after the exchange when he finds out the Federation Council reverts to the original terms Morrow proposed to Kirk
Not a bad idea! I would like to see Maltz have some development with Kirk and the rest... might lead to interesting moment when Undiscovered Country rolls around...

Great update.

Only thing felt odd was Saavik’s very emotional outburst, it felt unVulcan? Has it been said onscreen ITTL she is part Romulan blood as that could be used as an ‘excuse’ otherwise it does come over as ‘emotional woman’ mysoginy - though given the date that would be typical Hollywood I guess.

As for Maltz, as he was not captured in battle as such I suspect he would be considered dishonoured and therefore ‘dead’ to the Empire, therefore ineligible for a prisoner exchange- like any other Klingon captive taken by the UFP over the decades.

The UFP probably has a remote prison/colony world populated by ex-Klingons it keeps quiet.

A scene with Maltz and Karlax would be fun.

Maltz does end up living in the UFP OTL - the Okunda Klingon language book is by him ‘in universe’ so he does ok for himself.

As for Maltz, as he was not captured in battle as such I suspect he would be considered dishonoured and therefore ‘dead’ to the Empire, therefore ineligible for a prisoner exchange- like any other Klingon captive taken by the UFP over the decades.

A scene with Maltz and Karlax would be fun.

Maltz does end up living in the UFP OTL - the Okunda Klingon language book is by him ‘in universe’ so he does ok for himself.
Though I suspect after Undiscovered I guess bygones would end up being bygones and both wouldn't be as unaccepted back home.