WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Soviets withdrawing from Afghanistan early is gonna have some huge butterflies for both Afghanistan and the Soviet Union. Kinda hoping for a more democratic Afghanistan ITTL considering what is happening now, but that's extremely difficult to pull off even if the Mujahideen are weaker.

As for the Ferengi, this is immediately a far better first introduction to the species than what happened in OTL TNG. Maybe they could be more menacing this time around with Ogrebear's suggestion of making them more batlike like in the concept art.

He will definitely call out of the writing staff for these episodes. They degrade the Federation's utopian values (like arms dealing?) and have its members threaten to secede. Not exactly a role model for people to follow, hahaha.
A Harve Bennett-led Star Trek won't be so utopian! That's why I can get away with a more Machiavellian Federation.

Soviets getting out of Afghanistan could change a couple of Rambo sequels and The Living Daylights as well ITTL, if I look at it from a pop culture lens. The Mujahideen are definitely weaker ITTL than they are IRL with a shorter Afghanistan war. My big world events in 1985 and 1986 also include the Iraq-Iran War, Challenger and Chernobyl, of which I think only Challenger is changing substantially

Chapter 203: February 1985
First update in several days. In this update, John Glenn and a Democratic Congress begin reshaping America; Charles Bluhdorn, chairman of Gulf+Western, has leukemia, Starfleet: Intelligence episodes plus a debate on the direction of Star Trek; and the 1985 Academy Award nominations.

fc.jpg
5849d4ee4b0f3.image.jpg

JOHN GLENN'S 'REAL DEAL' FLYING THROUGH CONGRESS
THREE BILLS ALREADY PASSED, INFRASTRUCTURE ON THE WAY

February 16, 1985

President Glenn, with a Democratic Congress, set out to reshape the country, and within the first three weeks of his administration, three significant pieces of legislation passed. The Social Security Act of 1985 raised the cap on Social Security contributions to the first $250,000 of a worker's annual income and allowed Americans to set up an extra Social Security savings account linked to the stock market. "We have ensured that Social Security, one of the greatest achievements of the New Deal, will survive in perpetuity," the President said, as he signed the bill into law. "More money will be flowing into retirement accounts to protect this generation and future generations of workers. Social Security will never go insolvent. Additionally, we have allowed Americans to invest extra money into the program to control their own finances." The Medicare Expansion Act of 1985, championed by Ted Kennedy, passed Congress narrowly and also headed to the President's desk. The Medicare expansion covers all adults who are not covered by employer healthcare plans and allows businesses with more than 500 employees to buy into Medicare and offer the program to their workers. "The Medicare Expansion Act ensures that there are no gaps in American healthcare. We have virtually accomplished universal healthcare coverage in the United States," the President said. Lastly, the Medical Pricing Control Act of 1985 ensures that no prescription drug in the United States costs more than $50 per month and no hospitalization costs more than $500 per week. "Americans will no longer have to pay exorbitant prices for healthcare," the President said. "We've chained the medical price controls to inflation, so families can keep up with costs." Another bill in committee, the Infrastructure Revitalization Act of 1985, is expected to pass Congress in March. "In a few weeks, we will pass the most sweeping infrastructure bill since Eisenhower built the interstate highway system," the President said. "We were elected to make a difference for the American people, and we will fulfill our promise."

9CDL-WpRks17x_WW79ZiHoXXXL4j3HpexhjNOf_P3YmryPKwJ94QGRtDb3Sbc6KY.jpg

GULF AND WESTERN CHAIRMAN BLUHDORN DIAGNOSED WITH LEUKEMIA
GIVEN WEEKS TO LIVE

February 21, 1985

Charles Bluhdorn, the chairman of Gulf+Western, was diagnosed with late-stage leukemia, and has weeks to live, according to sources within Gulf+Western. The conglomerate titan is most famously known for his properties in the Dominican Republic and his acquisition of the Walt Disney Company in 1979. Bluhdorn transferred control of Gulf+Western to Martin S. Davis, an executive at Paramount Pictures, indicating that the conglomerate is prioritizing its entertainment holdings above the rest of his business interests. "Bluhdorn survived a heart attack in 1983, but that was only a precursor to terminal health issues," a source within the company said. "We hope that he can attend the 1985 Academy Awards, because he would love to see The Godfather: Part III win an Academy Award for Best Picture, like the two previous Godfather movies did." Under Bluhdorn's leadership, Gulf+Western became one of the largest conglomerates in the world, owning Paramount, Disney, Madison Square Garden and its sports teams, publishing company Simon and Schuster, and rapidly expanding cable networks ESPN and The Disney Channel. Bluhdorn also owns two percent of the land in the Dominican Republic, including the Casa de Campo luxury resort near Santo Domingo. "One of Bluhdorn's last wishes was that Casa de Campo would never be sold," the source said. "He considers that his most valuable property, above all the businesses he bought."

sto_inspired_starfleet_intelligence_logo_by_cbunye_d659k98-pre.png
ent_inc_nn_01.jpg

NICHOLS: STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE ISN'T LOSING ITS EDGE

February 25, 1985

For the first time in three seasons, Starfleet Intelligence slipped out of the top 10 in the Nielsen ratings, clocking in at #11 for the month of January 1985. However, the series star, Nichelle Nichols, isn't sweating it. "Starfleet Intelligence isn't losing its edge," Nichols said. "Occasionally, shows go through ratings slumps and dips. I would know. The original Star Trek had a ratings dip in 1967 and almost got cancelled, but the fanbase ensured its survival. Starfleet Intelligence has a huge fanbase, and we'll definitely weather this slump." Industry insiders believed that bringing Walter Koenig back into the fold to replace Alfre Woodard would keep the show in the top 10, but the series has hovered around the bottom of the top 10. Paramount is growing concerned that its most valuable property is not producing to expectations on television. "We've produced some great episodes this season, despite the ratings," Nichols said. "The episode where Kruge acts against his own people was one of the most heartbreaking shows the series ever produced, and it invoked some visceral reactions from the audience. I could understand some of the audience being unable to stomach the scenes, as they were reminiscent of atrocities we've committed against each other throughout history." Nichols and executive producer Harve Bennett would not back away from the criticism they received over that episode, Genocide on Beta Polaris. "Star Trek is meant to point a lens at the human condition," Bennett said. "Sometimes it is really ugly, and we make no excuses for this."

The 57th Academy Award nominations were announced in February 1985. A list of notable nominees is below.

Best Picture:
The Godfather: Part III
Amadeus
The Killing Fields
Places in the Heart
A Soldier's Story

Best Director:
Francis Ford Coppola, The Godfather: Part III
Milos Forman, Amadeus
Roland Joffe, The Killing Fields
Robert Benton, Places in the Heart
David Lean, A Passage to India

Best Actor:
William Shatner, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Al Pacino, The Godfather: Part III
F. Murray Abraham, Amadeus
Tom Hulce, Amadeus
Sam Waterston, The Killing Fields

Best Actress:
Diane Keaton, The Godfather: Part III
Sally Field, Places in the Heart
Judy Davis, A Passage to India
Jessica Lange, Country
Sissy Spacek, The River

Best Supporting Actor:
Leonard Nimoy, The Godfather: Part III
Haing S. Ngor, The Killing Fields
Pat Morita, The Karate Kid
John Malkovich, Places in the Heart
Adolph Caesar, A Soldier's Story

Best Supporting Actress:
Talia Shire, The Godfather: Part III
Peggy Ashcroft, A Passage to India
Glenn Close, The Natural
Lindsay Crouse, Places in the Heart
Christine Lahti, Swing Shift

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Amadeus
Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
The Killing Fields
A Soldier's Story

Best Art Direction:
Amadeus
The Natural
A Passage to India

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE EPISODES

EPISODE 63: BLOWBACK, PART II. (Airdate: February 5, 1985). When the Federation-Tzenkethi secret arms deal is revealed, outrage sweeps the Federation home worlds. They demand the impeachment of President Roth for approving the deal, and support the Andorians after the terrorist attack. Roth does not know that the deal was consummated, and takes a lie detector test to prove it. When Roth is shown to be truthful, the Federation Council tries to find out who approved the deal in secret. Uhura and her team are tasked to find the mole in the Federation who conducted foreign policy without the President's consent. It turns out that a human member of the Federation Council, Ross Barkuss, initiated the deal in order for the Federation to win the brief war against the Ferengi. Uhura's team apprehends Barkuss, who faces trial. Unfortunately, the Tzenkethi view the end of the arms deal as a betrayal by the Federation, and declare war.

EPISODE 64: THE MAROONED (Airdate: February 12, 1985). A Starfleet patrol is marooned on Alpha Theta VI, a planet in Tzenkethi space, in the early stages of the Federation-Tzenkethi war. Uhura's team is tasked to break them out of confinement. They discover that the Tzenkethi are a telepathic species who turned the Starfleet patrol against them. Marx must work around the Tzenkethi mental probes and convince the patrol to ally themselves with Starfleet again. When the Tzenkethi realize that Starfleet has personnel that can defeat their telepathic abilities, they reveal themselves as large-headed, orange aliens who attack Uhura's team. The Starfleet patrol, still under the influence of the Tzenkethi, almost kill Uhura's team, but they eventually choose to fight for Starfleet once Marx successfully works around the telepathic blocks. Uhura reports these telepathic abilities to Starfleet, and an armistice is offered. The Tzenkethi refuse.

EPISODE 65: MIND GAMES (Airdate: February 19, 1985). Starfleet remains in a stalemate with the Tzenkethi. Although they have the better ships, they cannot contact the Tzenkethi face-to-face due to their telepathic abilities. Uhura's team is tasked to test a device that counteracts the telepathy. Marx discovers that pathways in human brains cannot withstand the device's effects, and cause madness. The device almost causes Uhura to shoot Chekov and Karlax out of insanity. When Marx reports that the device cannot be used on humans, Starfleet asks the team to test it on other species. They find that the Andorians are able to use the device, and the Andorians, thirsting for revenge after the terrorist attack on their home world, cannot wait to attack. Before this occurs, the Tzenkethi discover the device and try to destroy it; they are unsuccessful. Starfleet offers another armistice, and the Tzenkethi accept this time. The Intergalactic Council of Peace condemns the Federation arms deal and orders the Federation to cede five light years of space to the Tzenkethi. This deal is reluctantly accepted by President Roth, who promises never to engage in another war during his term.

Last edited:
What happens to Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel ITTL?
Disney Channel is similar to OTL but some of their programming goes on Paramount Television Network later on.

Nickelodeon is part of MTV Networks I believe at this time. They'll probably fall under the Paramount umbrella at some point. The big question is what happens to Viacom, because Paramount+Disney could probably withstand a Viacom takeover. If Viacom buys MTV Networks in 1985 just like OTL then Nick is part of Viacom

Last edited:
STAR TREK MOVED TO MONDAY TIMESLOT; SPY SHOW RUMORED TO BE THIRD SEASON PREMIERE

March 21, 1968

After conducting its study on the audience demographics of Star Trek, NBC is likely to place the science fiction drama on Mondays at 8:00 PM, facing stiff competition from both CBS and ABC. The Peacock Network's decision indicates its confidence in the series, despite average ratings, and places intense pressure on William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and the rest of the cast to perform at a very high level to improve the show's appeal to a wider audience. Star Trek is rumored to become a more Cold War oriented show with greater emphasis placed on the Klingons and Romulans, the enemies of the human-led Federation. To build on this story, it is rumored that a spy thriller involving the Enterprise and the Romulans, who appeared in the first season hit episode "Balance of Terror," will become the third season premiere. Gene Roddenberry attempted to sell NBC on the idea of an episode where Mr. Spock's brain is removed from his body, but NBC rejected the idea, considering it unappealing and potentially grotesque to general audiences.

Wasn't the ST novel Web of the Romulans something like the spy thriller you're describing?

I'll most likely write another update tomorrow. I think the next set of Starfleet Intelligence episodes will include one with a "flashback" sequence. I haven't done a lot of flashback sequences when writing the episode summaries

It's your timeline and you can write it as you please, but isn't it a bit of a butterfly massacre to have a PoD in the 60s not completely change a show made in the 80s? For instance, Phase II would be completely different if TOS lasted longer. That show was specifically produced from a decade of the rising popularity of Star Trek, shakeups and Paramount, and the rising mainstreamness of science-fiction, and a desire to 'cut-out-the-middleman' by Paramount and to produce their own network. But many of those circumstances would be changed ITTL. It may not exist, it may be made earlier, it may instead be a series of telefilms, what have you. But with those butterflies, it's successor in TMP would be very different.

And If TMP is completely different, the exact circumstances that lead to Star Trek falling into the hands of Harvey Bennet and Nicholas Meyer would likely be butterflied away. That specifically required TMP be an over-budgeted flop, which seems unlikely in a timeline with Star Trek being so much more popular. (Seriously. Meyer's two biggest claims to fame was a Sherlock fan-fiction book, and directing a single movie. He wasn't chosen to direct II for his skill, he was just the best Paramount could find. We just lucked out that he actually was actually a good director.) And even if they do receive control, at the very least the TOS films would be highly different.

And at that point, things would be so heavily altered I struggle to imagine TNG, let alone DS9 and beyond being made at all.
I remembered what you said from way back and I changed A LOT on the television front for Star Trek. I did a Star Trek: Reliant miniseries and Starfleet: Intelligence as the "Trek of the 80s" before TNG. Plus, TMP is VERY different ITTL than it was IRL.

I also created the Paramount Television Network, but in 1980, after Star Trek: The Motion Picture did Star Wars business ITTL

Geez, the United States has universal healthcare and expanded Social Security? Damn, if only we got to live in this timeline!
In all seriousness, these are pretty huge changes and I hope they continue for the Glenn Administration with the infrastructure bill on the board.

As for Intelligence, I'm glad that the Federation's arms dealings was punished by the general public, as there's no way they should've got off scot free. While I doubt this will convince Roddenberry about Intelligence's merits, the ending might give him some thought as to what the franchise is capable of when it comes to storytelling.

Geez, the United States has universal healthcare and expanded Social Security? Damn, if only we got to live in this timeline!
In all seriousness, these are pretty huge changes and I hope they continue for the Glenn Administration with the infrastructure bill on the board.

As for Intelligence, I'm glad that the Federation's arms dealings was punished by the general public, as there's no way they should've got off scot free. While I doubt this will convince Roddenberry about Intelligence's merits, the ending might give him some thought as to what the franchise is capable of when it comes to storytelling.
Secret arms deals rarely work out well, in the real world or ITTL's Star Trek.

President Glenn is off to a great start. Let's see if it holds up

I remembered what you said from way back and I changed A LOT on the television front for Star Trek. I did a Star Trek: Reliant miniseries and Starfleet: Intelligence as the "Trek of the 80s" before TNG. Plus, TMP is VERY different ITTL than it was IRL.

I also created the Paramount Television Network, but in 1980, after Star Trek: The Motion Picture did Star Wars business ITTL

You’ve done a good job! Apologies for never commenting, I just didn’t want to intrude on your TL. But I’ve read a good bit of it and think you’ve done an excellent job of creating a recognizable but unique take on the franchise.

You’ve done a good job! Apologies for never commenting, I just didn’t want to intrude on your TL. But I’ve read a good bit of it and think you’ve done an excellent job of creating a recognizable but unique take on the franchise.
Thanks! I still want 24th century Trek to thrive though. At the moment I'm squeezing every bit I can out of the 23rd century. I took a different path...instead of Phase II, I had Star Trek: The Motion Picture open in November 1978 and do huge business. Because TMP is such a huge hit, Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley won't make a TV series, so either the timeline would go the TNG route with a completely new cast in the early 80s or they would make Star Trek with the supporting cast from the original. I chose the latter route to make a different canon. Roddenberry is needed to create other sci-fi programming for the new network and is nudged out of Trek after his Kirk meets JFK proposal, so Harve Bennett runs the franchise both on the film and television end from 1980.

TMPs success is the impetus to create a Paramount Television Network ITTL. Paramount pulls its television programming from the Big Three networks and adds some other Roddenberry sci-fi (Battleground: Earth, Andromeda), to fill out its lineup. Paramount also has to televise its most valuable property, so they test out Captain Terrell, Commander Sulu and Lt. Commander Chekov in Star Trek: Reliant in 1980-1981. It works, and they want to do a series with Takei as the lead, but Takei wants to go into politics, and he's unavailable. So Nichelle Nichols becomes the lead for Starfleet: Intelligence, which starts in 1982, while Takei successfully wins a runoff for LA Mayor and runs Los Angeles as Tom Bradley's successor

I want to see how your Phase II project develops, and whether a Paramount Television Network could be built around it the way they thought about doing it in the late 70s

Last edited:
TMPs success is the impetus to create a Paramount Television Network ITTL. Paramount pulls its television programming from the Big Three networks
Of course, owning all of Walt Disney Productions on top of Star Trek and Happy Days is a big plus for the programming side of things. Just look at their first Saturday Morning lineup, for instance.

Of course, owning all of Walt Disney Productions on top of Star Trek and Happy Days is a big plus for the programming side of things. Just look at their first Saturday Morning lineup, for instance.
Yeah, the Paramount/Disney merger is probably one of the biggest events in the entire TL. It makes Fox a lot weaker in the future as a fifth network with Paramount fully established as a fourth network, and that will have some serious knock-on effects. Paramount would almost have to make a bid for the NFL ITTL, for example

Last edited:
Yeah, the Paramount/Disney merger is probably one of the biggest events in the entire TL. It makes Fox a lot weaker in the future as a fifth network with Paramount fully established as a fourth network, and that will have some serious knock-on effects. Paramount would almost have to make a bid for the NFL ITTL, for example
If Fox still wants to make their stand as the fifth network, may I recommend a partnership with WB? Given the IRL history of broadcast television, it would just make sense. Plus, we can still make the NFL bidding wars more special this way.

If Fox still wants to make their stand as the fifth network, may I recommend a partnership with WB? Given the IRL history of broadcast television, it would just make sense. Plus, we can still make the NFL bidding wars more special this way.
I wrote in the Paramount/Disney merger post that two of the other studios would have to collaborate to challenge them, because Paramount would have a decisive advantage over the others, even with 20th Century Fox's association with Star Wars still happening. Warner Brothers might go for the Time merger sooner though, that's what happened IRL (1989). Maybe Fox and Universal collaborate instead? Universal always had a lot of TV properties.

The next NFL contract ITTL will be up after the 1986 season, so CBS will probably be staring down something like a $200 million bid from Paramount. Paramount owns the Madison Square Garden teams (Knicks and Rangers) at this time just like IRL, and they definitely want to get the rights to the NFL's Giants and the rest of the big NFC teams as well (Dallas, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, Philly) as well

Last edited:
I wrote in the Paramount/Disney merger post that two of the other studios would have to collaborate to challenge them, because Paramount would have a decisive advantage over the others, even with 20th Century Fox's association with Star Wars still happening. Warner Brothers might go for the Time merger sooner though, that's what happened IRL (1989). Maybe Fox and Universal collaborate instead? Universal always had a lot of TV properties.
Oh, yeah. I forgot that HBO wasn't a Warner Bros. moneymaker until 1989 at the very least. As for Fox and Universal, I have two questions.
1: Who would own NBC if Universal already has a broadcast network?
2: Would E.T. and Woody Woodpecker kickstart this new network's Saturday Morning lineup on Universal's end? For that matter, would they even have a SatAM block compared to the other four combatants?
The next NFL contract ITTL will be up after the 1986 season, so CBS will probably be staring down something like a $200 million bid from Paramount. Paramount owns the Madison Square Garden teams (Knicks and Rangers) at this time just like IRL, and they definitely want to get the rights to the NFL's Giants and the rest of the big NFC teams as well (Dallas, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, Philly) as well
Makes sense to me.