WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 155: December 1980 and January 1981
So there is one very important thing that I forgot to write about in the last update: John Lennon avoids Mark David Chapman and survives on December 8, 1980. Then we move into 1981 and we've got President Reagan's second inauguration, plus more Star Trek: Reliant updates.

https___specials-images.forbesimg.com_imageserve_5f6003bd097a83eec2b133c8_960x0.jpg

MARK DAVID CHAPMAN ARRESTED IN LENNON MURDER ATTEMPT

December 9, 1980

Police were called to apprehend a man believed to be stalking famed Beatles musician John Lennon. Mark David Chapman, an obsessed Beatles fan from Hawaii, was apprehended by police after he pulled a gun on the doorman at the Dakota. The doorman stalled Chapman long enough for police to arrive, potentially saving Lennon's life. Lennon reportedly never saw Chapman in his residence. Chapman was shouting "where is John Lennon, I have to find him" as he was arrested by the NYPD. Chapman was reportedly angered by Lennon's boast in the 1960s that he was bigger than Jesus Christ, according to police reports. Earlier in the day, famed photographer Annie Leibovitz took photographs of Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, at the apartment for Rolling Stone. Lennon and Ono were supposed to work on one of Ono's songs, but the couple was tired after the long Leibovitz photoshoot and put off the studio time until tomorrow. "John and Yoko decided to cancel their work on Yoko's album. They ordered takeout for dinner and watched a Star Trek rerun," Lennon's publicist, Elliot Mintz, told the Daily News. "John and Yoko are a little shaken up about the news that a man wanted to take their lives, and they want their privacy protected at this time, along with their son Sean."

download.jpg

REAGAN INAUGURAL: WE CANNOT COMPROMISE OUR VALUES

January 21, 1981

President Reagan, after narrowly winning reelection over Massachusetts senator Edward Kennedy, began his second term yesterday by demanding more of Americans and ensuring that values must be protected. "We cannot compromise our values," the President said. "We must not give one inch and sacrifice our principles for compromise that appears politically correct. Instead, we must do what is right." Reagan addressed a laundry list of issues, including taxation, communism, and Islamic fundamentalism in the Middle East. On taxation, the President told the crowd of half a million that "We cannot agree to a spending increase in exchange for a tax cut. The tax cut will arrive in Congress without strings attached, because the American people voted for that tax cut. They did not vote for more government spending. They voted for self-sufficiency." On Communism, the President mentioned that relationships have improved with the Soviet Union after a very tense period. "The Soviet Union understands the strength of the United States and knows that we will stand for all countries in the free world against oppression. We are seeing the Warsaw Pact nations in Eastern Europe, the people of Czechoslovakia and Poland, rise against this oppression. We will fight for their freedom with all our moral support." On Islamic fundamentalism, President Reagan warned Ayatollah Khomeini. "Iran understands that terrorism against American citizens will be met with an overwhelming response. Their conduct in taking hostages was unbecoming of a civilized nation."

images.jpg

STAR TREK RELIANT EPISODES

EPISODE 14: NO TIME FOR A HOLIDAY (Air date: January 6, 1981). A holiday party on the Reliant is disrupted by a distress call near the Romulan Neutral Zone. A cargo ship has lost power in the Neutral Zone and is surrounded by three Romulan Birds of Prey. Terrell must negotiate a way out of the Neutral Zone for the cargo ship while ensuring the overmatched Reliant is not attacked. However, Chekov scans the vessel and finds that there are no life signs. It is discovered that the cargo ship is an illusion planted by a supernatural being, Marnos, similar to the one in DAY OF THE DOVE that wants the Romulan vessels to fight the Reliant. Reliant doesn't take the bait, and stays on the Federation side of the Neutral Zone. One Romulan ship crosses into Federation space and is fired upon by Reliant due to violating the treaty between the two empires. Marnos dares the two other Romulan ships to cross into Federation space, which would start a war. They refuse, and they are threatened with destruction. Terrell must convince Marnos that the Romulans want to abide by the treaty, to prevent a war. Eventually, Terrell and the Romulans work together to drive Marnos off.

EPISODE 15: ARGELUS (Air date, January 13, 1981). Reliant is investigating the disappearance of a dilithium ship near Orion space. An Orion ship arrives. A brief battle ensues, which is relatively even, but the Orions capture Commander Sulu during a moment in the battle when the Reliant loses shields. Terrell must retrieve Sulu, but the Orion commander, Argelus, refuses to deal with him unless they keep all the dilithium captured from the Federation merchant vessel. Terrell offers the Orions Sulu's release for a cut of the action in the Coridian dilithium trade. The Orions agree, but Terrell has a trick up his sleeve. When Argelus arrives at Coridan, two Constitution class cruisers and two Miranda class vessels, including the Enterprise under the command of Captain Spock, are waiting for him. Argelus has no choice but to surrender, and the Orion plot is foiled. Spock exchanges pleasantries with Sulu and Chekov in the episode's final scene, where Chekov plays him to a draw in three-dimensional chess.

EPISODE 16: NEURAL (Air date, January 20, 1981). Reliant returns to Neural to determine what happened to the primitive settlers there, who were armed both by the Klingons and Captain Kirk in the second season episode A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR. Sulu and Chekov beam down to the planet, in the middle of a firefight between two tribes using flintlock rifles. The Klingon Krell returns to complicate matters and offers one of the tribes even more advanced technology, a laser. Sulu accosts Krell, accusing him of a lack of honor because the Neural people are not developed enough to handle laser weapons. Krell disagrees, saying that the Klingons and the Federation must still fight their brush wars even if the two empires are not directly at war. Krell supplies Apella, one of the tribe leaders in A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR, with disruptor technology, and Terrell responds by supplying Tyree with phaser technology. Unknown to Terrell, Sulu and Chekov find the cache of all the disruptors, phasers and flintlock rifles for both tribes, and destroy them. Terrell asks Sulu why they disobeyed his order, and Sulu tells him that we wanted to correct the mistake Captain Kirk made all those years ago.

Last edited:

reluctantuser

Monthly Donor
I have the distinct feeling that I know how the cargo ship in Ep. 14 is going to be called in-episode :)
Though isn't Terrel doing a grave mistake by firing on the romulan ship that crossed the zone? By this point he knows Marnos is trying to provoke a war, so shooting the romulans, who are equally misled, while being 'legal' in this particular situation, could lead to that war. Perhaps fire obvious warning shots accompanied by hailing the romulans in this case?

I have the distinct feeling that I know how the cargo ship in Ep. 14 is going to be called in-episode :)
Though isn't Terrel doing a grave mistake by firing on the romulan ship that crossed the zone? By this point he knows Marnos is trying to provoke a war, so shooting the romulans, who are equally misled, while being 'legal' in this particular situation, could lead to that war. Perhaps fire obvious warning shots accompanied by hailing the romulans in this case?
You have a point there. Terrell doesn't want to start another war after they just finished a war ITTL's TMP

Y'know, Lennon dodging death got me thinking: what other avoidable deaths did not come to pass in this timeline? Some figures I probably should have brought up long before (but better late than never...) or didn't notice before:

• Bruce Lee. He never takes that pill that causes the fatal allergic reaction. I have an episode idea for Reliant involving him, but if that can't work, then I can see him in Search for Spock taking the place of the "Don't Call Me Tiny" guy who tries to stop Sulu. Heck, I'd say throw in a brief touch of fisticuffs just for the dramatic flair.
  • Lana Wood: Don't know much about her, but surely her sad death by drowning could be averted.
  • RFK: This I definitely should have raised back when this first started. Nixon definitely loses again in '68, and this could have altered things severely.
  • MLK: Might be less tricky. I can accept him not running for office in the 70s, maybe he can do it post-Reagan (if he does it at all)? And I think he can make it into Reliant, maybe as either M'Benga's or Uhura's father.
  • Tate murder victims: 'Cause screw Charlie Manson and his psychotic philosophies. Doesn't need to be Once Upon A Time In Hollywood-inized.
  • Benigno Aquino Jr.: Another tricky one. Don't know how much time he would have had left if he wasn't shot on the Manila tarmac in '83. (Helps that it's kinda foggy on who ordered his death. Ferdinand Marcos, who one would assume as the prime suspect, is a tricky one since his kidneys were starting to fail at around this time.)

Oh also, Brezhnev dropping dead in '75 and Pol Pot getting a bullet in his brain got me thinking: which other dictators could get hit with a serious dose of early karma here? Maybe Marcos' kidneys killing him in the mid-80s? Idi Amin and Jean Bedel-Bokassa (who BTW is due for an ouster in September of '81) facing justice for their crimes?

Last edited:
Y'know, Lennon dodging death got me thinking: what other avoidable deaths did not come to pass in this timeline? Some figures I probably should have brought up long before (but better late than never...) or didn't notice before:

• Bruce Lee. He never takes that pill that causes the fatal allergic reaction. I have an episode idea for Reliant involving him, but if that can't work, then I can see him in Search for Spock taking the place of the "Don't Call Me Tiny" guy who tries to stop Sulu. Heck, I'd say throw in a brief touch of fisticuffs just for the dramatic flair.
  • Lana Wood: Don't know much about her, but surely her sad death by drowning could be averted.
  • RFK: This I definitely should have raised back when this first started. Nixon definitely loses again in '68, and this could have altered things severely.
  • MLK: Might be less tricky. I can accept him not running for office in the 70s, maybe he can do it post-Reagan (if he does it at all)? And I think he can make it into Reliant, maybe as either M'Benga's or Uhura's father.
  • Tate murder victims: 'Cause screw Charlie Manson and his psychotic philosophies. Doesn't need to be Once Upon A Time In Hollywood-inized.
  • Benigno Aquino Jr.: Another tricky one. Don't know how much time he would have had left if he wasn't shot on the Manila tarmac in '83. (Helps that it's kinda foggy on who ordered his death. Ferdinand Marcos, who one would assume as the prime suspect, is a tricky one since his kidneys were starting to fail at around this time.)

Oh also, Brezhnev dropping dead in '75 and Pol Pot getting a bullet in his brain got me thinking: which other dictators could get hit with a serious dose of early karma here? Maybe Marcos' kidneys killing him in the mid-80s? Idi Amin and Jean Bedel-Bokassa (who BTW is due for an ouster in September of '81) facing justice for their crimes?
I could save Bruce's son Brandon. Natalie Wood dies in late 1981 so still time to save her. I don't think I'm going to touch on Philippine politics much. I definitely should have done something with RFK and MLK but that was at the very beginning of the TL so I wasn't focusing on other things, I was only writing about saving Trek's third season so we'd have a fourth and fifth season

Last edited:
Well there is firing a warning shot and firing to kill - if the Romulan ship broke the treaty he probably has to fire by Starfleet regs - given the situation a warning shot is probably enough to force them back over the line.

Chapter 156: February 1981
Very short update today. Just three Star Trek Reliant episodes...

EPISODE 17: DOCTOR DAYSTROM (Air date, February 3, 1981). Dr. Richard Daystrom is eligible for parole after serving thirteen years in a Federation penal facility for the destruction of the Excalibur and crippling of the Lexington by the M-5 computer in THE ULTIMATE COMPUTER. Terrell is ordered by Starfleet Command to return Daystrom to Earth for his parole hearing, but Terrell wants revenge on Daystrom because several friends from Starfleet Academy were killed on the Excalibur. Sulu and Chekov, who were on the Enterprise during the events of THE ULTIMATE COMPUTER, are also facing Terrell's wrath because they were unable to stop the Enterprise from opening fire on the Excalibur. Terrell must discuss his feelings with Dr. Noel, who determines that he is unfit for command on this assignment if he continues to act in a vengeful manner against Daystrom. Terrell eventually accepts the assignment, and barely maintains his composure when he finally sees Daystrom face to face. To Terrell's surprise, Daystrom is apologetic and remorseful for creating the M-5, and has renounced any future research into autonomous starship computer programming. Terrell invites Daystrom to dinner in his quarters and wonders why Daystrom designed the M-5. Daystrom tells Terrell that he believed it was possible to integrate fully human emotions into a starship computer, and was unsuccessful, but he knows of other researchers who have not given up the pursuit of integrating human emotion into machines. Reliant returns to Earth. Arias wants access to Daystrom's research but Daystrom refuses, fearing that Arias will accidentally destroy Starfleet, like Daystrom almost did 13 years ago.

EPISODE 18: TIME WARP (Air date, February 10, 1981). Arias tests the Reliant's warp engines at warp nine, but Reliant enters a time warp and is transported back to 2053, when World War III occurs. Several of Garvin's ancestors died in World War III, and Garvin wants to change the timeline to prevent their deaths. However, Xon says that Garvin could change the future and prevent the formation of the Federation if the timeline is altered. Terrell must figure out a way back to the 23rd century, and Arias theorizes that they could slingshot around the sun. However, Garvin beams down to Earth to find old family artifacts and antiques, potentially altering the timeline. Terrell must beam down to Earth with Sulu in an effort to retrieve Garvin. Before a nuclear bomb falls on Garvin's hometown of Atlanta, she recovers the keepsakes from her family that were destroyed in the war. Arias is able to get the Reliant back to the 23rd century, there are luckily no changes to the timeline, and Garvin has a picture of her ancestor, an American civil rights leader in the early 21st century.

EPISODE 19: GENESIS, PART I (Air date, February 24, 1981). Reliant receives orders to go to the Ceti Alpha system to conduct preliminary tests on the suitability of the Genesis Device, which Starfleet plans to use on Sherman's Planet. However, Starfleet needs to test the device on another planet before the more valuable location in the Sherman system is used. Terrell, Sulu and Chekov scout the first three planets, Ceti Alpha I, II and III. Ceti Alpha I is lifeless, but too close to the sun for life to develop immediately after detonation. Ceti Alpha II and III support bacterial and fungal life, but are unpopulated. The Genesis matrix requires a lifeless planet for testing. Ceti Alpha IV has a primitive society in the Stone Age, so Reliant cannot test there. Then, Reliant scans for Ceti Alpha VI, but they find that it is not there. Sulu and Chekov find debris, indicating that Ceti Alpha VI has been destroyed in some explosion. Xon tells the crew that Ceti Alpha V appears lifeless, but more tests must be conducted to determine its suitability for Genesis testing. Sulu recalls that Kirk left Khan and his followers there, and wonders what happened to Ceti Alpha V...

Last edited:
Nearing the end of Reliant now. I would have enjoyed this show I am sure.
I have to figure out how to do Part II of the Reliant series finale. Perhaps Chekov and someone else beams down to Ceti Alpha V. They see an apparition in the distance, convinced it is a person (Khan), but they return to the ship and Xon scans for life, finding nothing due to atmospheric interference. Then the Reliant is given their marching orders by Carol Marcus to investigate Ceti Alpha V further…

I also have to figure out how to get Chekov off the ship because he and Sulu are switching roles in Wrath of Khan. Perhaps Admiral Kirk orders Chekov back to Earth?

reluctantuser

Monthly Donor
Perhaps they detect some very odd readings, and Chekov boards a shuttle to investigate. Leaving him unaffected and unaware of Khan, and picked up by the Enterprise once it enters the system.
Alternatively, the (warp-capable) shuttle travels back towards Earth to better explain their findings while Reliant stays to investigate further.

I imagine it would be neat if final part II ties immediately into the movie. Reliant scans the planet but can't make heads nor tails of their readings. Perhaps some crew-internal conflict about what to do?
In the last scenes, Terrel and Sulu beam down to investigate the biggest sensor oddity Xon found, it's basically the scenes from WoK (which you might have to use in the movie as well, otherwise moviegoers who didn't watch the episode will get confused).
The very last shot of the episode - and thus the series - is a close up of Sulu's face. He looking at something in the shelter (the Botany Bay belt buckle, which we don't see in the episode because of spoilers) and we see his face morph to several emotions, from curiosity to confusion to recoggnition to sheer abject terror. Hopefully leading to quite a bit of extra interest in the audience. Clearly Sulu recognizes something, what could it possibly be?
Of course that kind of mystery is somewhat spoiled immediately for hardcore fans who know what happened in the Ceti Alpha system, but hey's there's no internet yet, so genuine curiosity might survive a few weeks for most of them.

As to an earlier post - the one where the senior crew star in Magnum - perhaps one can place an easter egg for that in IV? I don't know anything about that show beyond 'it existed', but perhaps one of the series regulars is one of the car drivers in San Francisco and later complains to Magnum about 'all those clueless tourists hindering traffic' or something along those lines.

Or change Genesis pt1 and have Reliant scouting several worlds in more detail with Carol Marcus is on-board. Each is a failure for various reasons. Pt 1 is mostly frustration and questions are raised about why it has to be a planet and not a dead asteriod field or a nebula - answer the matrix would be unstable and not work, it needs a planet.

During pt 2, Carol then gets a call from David (not seen on screen) and has to return to Regula 1. Chekov is ordered to fly her back, and they depart.

As they go Reliant heads for the Ceti Alpha system. They scan it and find a planet missing compared to the records. Sulu swears he has heard of this system before and starts going through his logs from the Enterprise- they went to a lot of systems. He find the Khan reference (flashback time?) but scanning Ceti Alpha V they are convinced nothing could be alive on that harsh, dead world, and Khan must be dead. Then they get a ping from a power source and decide to go down and investigate...

Notes: Chekov would then be in the caverns under the Regula moon having escaped with Carol, David, and the chap who got shot. There should be a line about the debris of a destroyed shuttle by the station to cover why they did not escape on it.

Genesis, Part II (Star Trek: Reliant)
The series finale of Star Trek: Reliant aired on March 3, 1981. The episode starts on the Reliant bridge. Here are the important scenes, so this is only part of the episode.

Terrell: So we don't have a candidate planet yet. We've explored about fifty planets so far, and nothing works. This is getting frustrating.
Chekov: There is Ceti Alpha V, about 5 million kilometers away.
Terrell: Let's check out that planet. Xon, begin scanning for life forms.
Xon: Scanning. Life forms indeterminate due to atmospheric interference. Nitrogen and sulfur dioxide atmosphere, with some traces of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor
Chekov: Well that wouldn't support much, if any life.
Sulu: I don't think it's a good idea to even consider that planet.
Terrell: Why, Mr. Sulu.
Sulu: It's a very long story. It goes back to my first mission on the Enterprise.

STAR TREK RELIANT INTRO AND THEME

Sulu: When I was on the Enterprise, we scouted the Ceti Alpha system, almost fifteen years ago. Captain Kirk at the time left Khan Noonien Singh and his followers, along with another member of the Enterprise crew, Lieutenant McGivers, on the planet.
Terrell: What happened to Ceti Alpha V? Kirk would not have left anyone on a lifeless planet.
Sulu: The planet wasn't lifeless when the Enterprise explored it. A little rough around the edges, but certainly not lifeless. That planet can barely support any kind of life with the atmosphere it currently has.
Terrell: That doesn't get us from then to now. Xon, Chekov, I want some answers. What happened to Ceti Alpha V?
Xon: There is a lot of planetary debris near the projected orbit of where Ceti Alpha VI should be, Captain.
Chekov: Ceti Alpha VI must have exploded, and that affected Ceti Alpha V's atmosphere.
Xon: It is likely that the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI altered the orbit of Ceti Alpha V, changing the composition of the atmosphere from a livable planet for humanoids to an inhospitable environment, Captain.
Terrell: But there's one thing I don't understand. How could Ceti Alpha VI simply explode and Federation scanners not pick up the debris?
Sulu: As I recall, Ceti Alpha VI was about five times larger than Ceti Alpha V, and exerted a small gravitational pull on the planet. This star system is also near L-370, which was completely destroyed by the Doomsday Machine planet killer.
Terrell: So it's possible that the Doomsday Machine destroyed Ceti Alpha VI?
Sulu: Anything's possible.
Terrell: That wouldn't explain why the Doomsday Machine did not destroy Ceti Alpha V as well. As I recall, that weapon was an indiscriminate planet killer.
Chekov: Maybe it wasn't indiscriminate. Ceti Alpha V is a small planet, about three-quarters the size of Earth.
Xon: I disagree with Commander Sulu's hypothesis. I believe that an unstable inner core exploded and destroyed Ceti Alpha VI.
Sulu: That could be true. Commander Spock detected unusual planetary core readings from Ceti Alpha VI when we were exploring the system. However, Spock determined that destruction of that planet was unlikely.
Terrell: But how could it have happened without the Federation knowing about it?
Sulu: Captain Kirk asked Starfleet Command to set aside this star system as unclaimed territory, not to be disturbed for at least fifteen years, to determine how Khan's people progressed.
Terrell: Well they didn't progress far. They didn't have a chance to, based on what happened. Xon, scan the planet again for life signs.
Xon: Scanning. Life signs indeterminate. Too much atmospheric interference.
Terrell: So we don't know what's down there.
Sulu: Aside from the ruins of whatever settlement Khan established, there's likely nothing down there.
Chekov: Nothing could possibly have survived down there.
Terrell: So we might finally have a candidate for the Genesis Device. Lieutenant Garvin, get me Dr. Marcus at Regula I.
Garvin: Subspace channel established, Captain.
Terrell: Dr. Marcus, this is Captain Terrell on Reliant. We might finally have a planet for you.
Carol Marcus: Well that's delightful. Where are you right now?
Terrell: Ceti Alpha system, in the far reaches of Federation space. Ceti Alpha V is the planet. Not too close or too far from its sun, appears lifeless. The planet also has an atmosphere, which apparently assists with your research.
Carol Marcus: Well that's a long way from Regula I or most of explored space.
Terrell: We believe Ceti Alpha V is lifeless, but our science officer is unable to fully determine whether life exists on the planet. There's too much atmospheric interference.
Carol Marcus: Well you'll have to send a landing party down there to take further scans.
Terrell: Out of the question. I will not risk any members of my crew in those inhospitable conditions.
Carol Marcus: If Reliant fails to find a suitable planet, Starfleet Command will ensure you never sit in a captain's chair again, Terrell. Marcus out.
Terrell: So who wants to go down there? I'm opposed to this, but I apparently don't have a choice in the matter.
Sulu: I'll go. I'm curious as to what happened to Khan.
Chekov: I'll go as well, but I don't think we'll find anything. How could anyone or anything have survived down there?
Terrell: No fishing expeditions, Commander Sulu. The moment you find anything that is remotely life like, you are to return to Reliant. Understood?
Sulu: Aye, sir.

In the next scene, Sulu and Chekov are in life support suits, heading towards the transporter beam.

Arias: Transporter ready, Commander Sulu.
Sulu: Energize. (Sulu and Chekov beam down to Ceti Alpha V).
Chekov (almost knocked down by the wind): Tricorder scanning, Sulu. No life forms detected. There's nothing here.
Sulu: Keep on scanning, Chekov.
Chekov: Aye sir.
Sulu: We're about three miles away from where the Botany Bay, Khan's ship, originally landed.
Chekov: Captain Terrell said no fishing expeditions, Sulu.
Sulu: But we have to find out whether there's any life in that space ship. If there is, we report it right away to Reliant, they beam us back, and we tell Dr. Marcus that this is not a suitable planet.
Chekov: Understood, but the only thing I think we'll find is a shipwreck.
Sulu: Not unless we actually go to the ship and find out there's no life present.
Chekov: Yes, sir.

Chekov looks ahead. In the distance, something that looks like an apparition, in human form, appears.

Chekov: I see something over there! A human life form, perhaps.
Sulu: That's impossible. Even Khan couldn't survive in this atmosphere.
Chekov: If I remember my history correctly, Khan was a genetically enhanced tyrant. He could have survived, even in these conditions.
Sulu: Scan over there, Chekov.
Chekov: Yes, sir. Picking up what appears to be a life form, but the tricorder is saying indeterminate reading.
Sulu: I'm going to believe you, Chekov. If that is a person, then we know this planet supports life, and we can't use this planet to test the device. Sulu to Reliant.
Terrell: Reliant here.
Sulu: Captain, we believe that we've found a human life form down on the planet, but we cannot determine exactly whether it is alive. Tricorder readings are indeterminate.
Terrell: Are there any other life forms aside from what you believe you saw?
Sulu: Negative, sir.
Terrell: This is damned peculiar. I'm going to bring you guys back up here.
Sulu: I see a ship ahead.
Terrell: Do not approach it. Does the ship have any markings on it?
Sulu: I'm having difficulty seeing through the atmosphere and life support suit. I can't make out anything. If it is the Botany Bay, its surface was scoured by the atmosphere.
Terrell: I'm bringing you both back up here. Doctor Marcus wants Commander Chekov to pilot a shuttlecraft to Regula I and brief her on our findings. We are going to remain in orbit around Ceti Alpha V.
Sulu: Yes, sir. Sulu to transporter room. Two to beam up.

Sulu and Chekov beam back. About 5 seconds later, several ragged-looking men appear from the shadows on Ceti Alpha V, in masks.
Back on the Reliant, Terrell debriefs Sulu and Chekov.

Terrell: So what happened down there?
Sulu: We saw a ship, which was probably Khan's old ship.
Chekov: I also saw what appeared to be a human figure.
Terrell: How could humans survive in a sulfur dioxide atmosphere?
Chekov: It should be impossible. However, Khan's people were genetically enhanced humans, and it's possible to believe they were ingenious enough, or strong enough, to survive there.
Terrell; You realize, if I report this finding back to Dr. Marcus, that we'll be on a wild goose chase searching for life on that barren planet, or for other planets?
Sulu: I think we should investigate this further. There are scientific benefits in finding out what the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI did to Ceti Alpha V.
Terrell: I'm inclined to disagree. This is extremely odd. I'd rather search for another planet.
Garvin: Captain Terrell.
Terrell: Terrell here.
Garvin: Dr. Marcus wants another report on Ceti Alpha V.
Terrell: Tell Dr. Marcus I'll send Commander Chekov in a warp-capable shuttlecraft to Regula I with all our findings.
Garvin: Yes, sir.
Terrell: Chekov, so you're going to Regula with all the data. Sulu, if we go back down to that planet, I'll accompany you.
Chekov: Captain, I think this Genesis device research is a disaster in the making.
Terrell: I agree but that's not our mission or our ethical debate. Go to the shuttlecraft with the test data and report to Dr. Marcus on Regula I.
Chekov: Aye, Captain.
Sulu: If there were humans down on the planet, I recommend that we go down there armed the next time. It's almost certain that whoever or whatever is down there won't have phasers or other advanced weaponry.
Terrell: That is exactly what I was thinking, Sulu. Let's return to the bridge.
Sulu: Aye, sir.

On Ceti Alpha V, Joachim, Khan's son, talks with Otto, an older member of Khan's party.

Joachim: We saw two men in spacesuits. We should report this back to Khan.
Otto: Somebody was looking for us. Maybe it was the same people who left Khan and the rest of us here all those years ago.
Joachim: Khan must know. Maybe Kirk was one of the men in the spacesuits.
Otto: I do not believe it was Kirk. I think it was men under his command.

A voice emanates from the Botany Bay. It is Khan.

Khan (voice): What did you see out there?
Joachim: Two men in spacesuits.
Khan: Captain Kirk?
Joachim: We could not get close enough to see them.
Khan: Kirk did not forget about me after all...

reluctantuser

Monthly Donor
I like it, though it does remove the 'reveal' of Khan from the movie audience. Don't know how much of a beloved twist that was, however.
I assume that, if the line about Khan dropping the Reliant crew to Ceti Alpha V is still true, we'll get a few scenes of the Reliant crew trying to survive down there.

It does not ring true to me that Sulu- science officer or not would be so interested in investigating Ceti Alpha V - he knows how dangerous, cunning, and extreme Khan can be.

Also Chekov going off in a shuttle seems odd considering we have seen ships sending tons of complex data via subspace.

Finally why would anyone care if they tested Genesis on Khan's planet considering who he is?

It does not ring true to me that Sulu- science officer or not would be so interested in investigating Ceti Alpha V - he knows how dangerous, cunning, and extreme Khan can be.

Also Chekov going off in a shuttle seems odd considering we have seen ships sending tons of complex data via subspace.

Finally why would anyone care if they tested Genesis on Khan's planet considering who he is?
Sulu is an explorer. He probably thinks Khan is dead, but he doesn't know for sure because Chekov saw something he thought was human. In that respect he's kind of like Kirk, and Sulu is a bit like a successor to Kirk (and ITTL, we'll get to see a lot more of him as captain).

I should have mentioned that Genesis is top secret to everyone but Reliant, Starfleet Command and the scientists working on it, so they want the results shipped over. Perhaps Reliant can code a message, or Reliant could travel to Regula I and drop Chekov off. That could be changed.

The Genesis test won't work on a planet with any kind of life on it...Ceti Alpha V has Khan's people and the Ceti eels. They could use the device on Ceti Alpha V but they wouldn't know if it would work because they'd be testing it on a planet with life forms

Ok, but I still do not but Sulu wanting to go and have a look when he knows how ruthless Khan is- if he is still alive Sulu should know they stand zero chance against him, esp as he will have only got stronger due to his time on the hell hole. Kirk cockiness or not, it feels somewhat off. Still it could be sold by solid acting I guess.

If Genesis simply needs a dead world then why not use a rock planet like Mercury? There must be tons and tons of them out there. Why do they need something like Ceti Alpha V? Also if the matrix wipes all matter/life from the planet as per OTL then why does it matter if there is anything or anyone there (the bomb arguement).