WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 152: October 1980
At long last, this update. We'll start with the debates between President Ronald Reagan and Senator Edward Kennedy. Only one debate was held between the two candidates, on October 28, 1980, the same day as the debate IRL between President Carter and Reagan. Daniel Schorr, of the Paramount Television Network ITTL (instead of CNN), moderated the debate.

hqdefault.jpg
gettyimages-782556-1024x1024.jpg

Highlights:
Kennedy: This economy is absolutely rotten. The President believes that voodoo will fix what's wrong with the economy with his policies, and it shows. Unemployment has gotten worse by over a percentage point since the President assumed office. Are you better off than you were four years ago? Surely not, Mr. President.
Reagan: Americans are making more money than they ever have in history, Senator Kennedy. I resent your accusation. The economy is coming back and will be roaring in a second Reagan term. If we go back to the tax and spend liberal Democratic policies you favor, we'll plunge further into recession.
Kennedy: There you go again, not caring one bit about the working class in this country, Mr. President.
Reagan: I think the working class support me, Senator.

Reagan: Eleven years ago, Senator Kennedy committed a negligent act on Martha's Vineyard. He left the scene, and a woman in his car drowned. Do you want the country to drown under Senator Kennedy's leadership? Think about that when you go into the voting booth next week.
Kennedy: I did everything in my power to save Ms. Kopechne. How dare you insinuate otherwise. You're only running that ad because your record as President is atrocious. You've let the Russians run wild in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. They're even thinking about invading Iran after they invaded Afghanistan because they think you're a laughingstock.
Reagan: I wouldn't be calling anyone a laughingstock if I were you, Senator.
Kennedy: We've lost so much of our prestige in the last four years. If this country reelects you as President, I fear we will no longer be viewed as the beacon of hope around the world that we've always been.
Reagan: I told the Russians to get out of Czechoslovakia and they did. I made sure the Russians didn't cut off Berlin. I think I'm doing a pretty good job around the world, and most of the country agrees.

Schorr: How would you fix the crime situation, especially in our urban areas? Crime has spiraled out of control in places like New York City and Detroit. Senator Kennedy.
Kennedy: We're not doing enough to fund the big cities and address the needs they face. Municipal governments have to listen to their citizens, provide more well-paying jobs, and if they don't, I will pass jobs programs through a Democratic Congress. The unemployment situation in the inner cities is causing the crime situation. If we give them jobs, the crime will drop significantly.
Reagan: I think we've given enough help to New York City. President Muskie happily bailed them out in 1975 when they went bankrupt. If New York City goes bankrupt again, the mayor better ask the financial district for money because they aren't getting a dime from me. We've already bailed out New York once, and we won't do it again. New York and other major cities need to spend their funds more appropriately. The money is there, but the focus on policing, schools and other vital services isn't.
Kennedy: I think the cities are underfunded. I've been to Los Angeles and spoken with Mayor Bradley, and they're barely getting by. Mayor Koch is doing everything he can in New York to balance the budget. Don't blame the mayors, blame yourself for vetoing spending bills that would have helped the cities.
Reagan: I wanted more cops on the street, and Congress wouldn't send me a bill for more cops. They wanted strings attached, like universal healthcare.

Schorr: What is the first thing you would do if you won this election and became President? We'll let the incumbent President answer this question first.
Reagan: Cut taxes and interest rates. We've got inflation down a bit through the Federal Reserve. Now we've got to get the unemployment situation under control, and that will definitely happen in a second Reagan term with tax cuts for businesses. They'll be able to hire more employees with the extra money.
Kennedy: You already had your time to fix the unemployment situation, and you failed. I'd pass more jobs programs similar to the New Deal in the 1930s and put people back to work through the government.
Reagan: Big government is the problem that got us in this mess.
Kennedy: And the government will be the answer, because the private sector is failing us.

Reliant-studio-model.jpg

STAR TREK RELIANT EPISODE UPDATES

EPISODE 5: SUBTERFUGE (Air date: October 7, 1980). Romulans have infiltrated Memory Alpha, a Federation database (the same one that was featured in TOS). Starfleet fears that the Romulans will acquire the secrets to the terraforming device (Genesis) that was first mentioned in TMP ITTL. The Reliant is sent to Memory Alpha to confront them. Communications officer Garvin feeds the Romulans false records regarding Genesis. When the Romulans discover the ruse, they fire on the Reliant. To avoid being destroyed, Terrell feigns surrender. The Romulan commander, Nerva, believes that Reliant is a dead ship, and leads a failed boarding attempt. Garvin then feeds malicious information into the Romulan engineering systems, and the Romulans back off, because the computer virus threatens to destroy their vessels. The secret of Genesis is saved, for now.

EPISODE 6: ANOTHER PIECE OF THE ACTION (Air date: October 14, 1980). The Reliant returns to Sigma Iotia II, the 1920s Chicago gangster planet. Terrell, Sulu and Chekov want to know whether the Iotians have reformed into a more just society, but instead they find civil war between the gangsters and a new police department which is trying to take over the planet. A debate erupts on Reliant. Chekov believes that the two sides are simply fighting a gang war and the police department is just another gang; Terrell disagrees and supports the police department with more advanced weapons, violating the Prime Directive. Once the police department wins the fight against the gangsters, Terrell asks for his weapons back, plus the Federation's "cut" for saving the world from the gangster government. The police department agrees on one condition; the Federation must send a garrison to support them with removing the gangsters from power.

EPISODE 7: XON'S MADNESS (Air date, October 21, 1980). Xon undergoes pon farr, but the Reliant cannot return to Vulcan because there is a plague on Berengaria which threatens to wipe out half the population. Dr. M'Benga must find a cure to the plague and prevent Xon from dying. He discovers that one of the hormones in Xon's blood that is produced during pon farr is part of a potential antidote for the Berengarian plague. M'Benga asks for a blood sample from the raging Xon, but he cannot get one because Xon nerve pinches him. Terrell, Chekov and Sulu must subdue Xon before he attempts to take over the ship, return to Vulcan, and leave the Berengarian plague uncured. Dr. Noel solves the problem by agreeing to a mind meld with Xon, which relieves some of the worst pon farr symptoms, and a revived Dr. M'Benga is able to acquire the blood sample needed to save the Berengarians. Xon is credited for saving Berengaria and returns to Vulcan, where he meets his wife, T'Lor, and is granted shore leave.

Now the two articles for this week: Paramount's success with Star Trek: Reliant and Battleground: Earth, and a final update on the Presidential race with updated polling.

PARAMOUNT'S TUESDAY SCIENCE FICTION NIGHT A RATINGS WINNER

October 17, 1980

Paramount has hit on a formula for at least one night of the week: science fiction sells. The new Star Trek series, Reliant, and the new Gene Roddenberry production, Battleground: Earth, are number one in their time slots. At 8:00 PM on Tuesday, Reliant easily outperformed NBC's series The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo and CBS's The White Shadow. Approximately 40% of American televisions tuned into Reliant's first six episodes. At 9:00 PM, the young, appealing cast of Battleground: Earth, led by Robert Vaughn, Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise, Kirstie Alley and Lynn Whitfield, edged out Three's Company and Too Close for Comfort, two ABC comedies, for top ratings. At 10:00 PM, results were more mixed for Paramount, as British science fiction series Doctor Who is currently second in the ratings to ABC's Hart to Hart. Paramount executives were encouraged by the news. "Our three main science fiction offerings on Tuesday, led by Star Trek, are holding an audience and competing very well against the other major networks," said Mel Harris, a Paramount executive. "We are also finishing no worse than third on each of the other weeknights. Disney is a strong draw in two primetime slots, and Battlestar Galactica is performing well because we are airing it before CBS's two big series on Friday, The Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas." Paramount is also finding success with Laverne and Shirley, Taxi, Happy Days and Nero Wolfe. "Our other programming is also thriving better than expected," Harris said. We are a complete network, not just a science fiction vehicle, and Michael Eisner, my boss, is a major driver of this success."

REAGAN, KENNEDY IN DEAD HEAT ONE WEEK BEFORE ELECTION
NO CLEAR DEBATE WINNER

October 30, 1980

President Reagan and Senator Kennedy, his Democratic challenger, are deadlocked in the presidential contest with one week remaining before the November 4 election. The Louis Harris sponsored Washington Post poll has Kennedy and Reagan tied at 48 percent, with four percent undecided. Democrats lead the race for Congress by five points, 51 percent to 46 percent, over their Republican counterparts. "President Reagan's attacks on Senator Kennedy's character worked to a point. An election that Kennedy should be winning due to the poor economy is even because a segment of the population cannot trust the senator on personal and moral matters," Harris said. The only debate also failed to move the needle significantly. Fifty percent of the eighty million debate viewers believed that Reagan won the debate, to 47 percent for Kennedy. "Neither candidate got a major boost from the debate," Harris said. President Reagan's campaign is concerned that Senator Kennedy has small, but solid leads, in Reagan's home state of California and his birth state of Illinois. Both candidates see Pennsylvania and Ohio as deadlocked. Reagan has largely conceded New England and the Upper Midwest except for Wisconsin, where he will hold a campaign rally over the weekend, while Kennedy has largely conceded the South, except for Florida. Both campaigns also believe that New Jersey is close, and there is surprising strength for Kennedy in states like Iowa and Missouri, where he will be holding rallies this weekend. "It's anybody's race, and as we know, the popular vote does not determine the winner. The first candidate to 270 electoral votes wins," Harris said.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll be really busy:

1980 Presidential Election and Congressional Election
3 or 4 more synopses of Star Trek: Reliant
Wrath of Khan wraps filming ITTL in November 1980 for a November 1981 release

Last edited:
Reagan sounds like a stuck record if all he can attack Kennedy for is the one incident many years ago.

Kennedy seems to be mostly attacking Reagan’s record and not putting forward detailed proposals, just the sound bites - though we only have a snippet of the campaign here.

Hard election to call.

Reliant continues to sound like a good show with good episodes. Hope we being introduced to minor characters as well as just leads. The WoK hammer is going to be hard.

It is good PTV is doing well.

Does Ronald Reagan deserve a second term?
Or does Ted Kennedy deserve the White House, despite his past?

Was Reagan still making it a point to silence anti-war protests in this timeline? (Likely so, as that was before the POD.) Did the events of The People's Park of Berkeley still happen in May 1969?

Because while I'm not dismissing Chappaquiddick, I believe that protesters being blasted by shotguns -- leaving one dead, one blinded by birdshot fired into his face, and at least 128 more serious injuries -- is more dangerous. And Reagan justified it because he believed Berkeley's campus was "a haven for communist sympathizers, protesters, and sex deviants."

Does Ronald Reagan deserve a second term?
Or does Ted Kennedy deserve the White House, despite his past?
Time for a poll?

Reagan 2 might be interesting to see how he deals with the Middle East and Commies,

Kennedy might be interesting to see how he deals with the economy and 80’s boom.

Either will be intriguing to see how they deal with HIV.

Time for a poll?

Reagan 2 might be interesting to see how he deals with the Middle East and Commies,

Kennedy might be interesting to see how he deals with the economy and 80’s boom.

Either will be intriguing to see how they deal with HIV.
In 84, I voted for Reagan in my first Presidential Election .
Not going to do that again .
Let see what Kennedy does .

The 1980 Presidential Election: Reagan vs. Kennedy
The 1980 Presidential Election is upon us. It is Ronald Reagan vs. Edward Kennedy. Polls had the race almost deadlocked. Reagan was attempting to win a second term to the White House despite the poor economy, the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, and the Iranian crisis. Ted Kennedy, considered the favorite to win the election, was dragged down late in the race by a Reagan ad depicting him as negligent during the events of Chappaquiddick in 1969. Reagan's running mate was John Tower, the Vice President and formerly the senator from Texas. Kennedy's running mate was John Glenn, the senator from Ohio. We pick up the coverage at 8:00 PM on November 4, 1980, with NBC's Election Night team of John Chancellor, Tom Brokaw, David Brinkley, Jessica Savitch and Garrick Utley.

61Ll19KbyBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
gettyimages-576832952-1024x1024.jpg
rs_634x1024-180404102920-1024-ted-kennedy-1980.jpg
24178.jpg

n_mj_brokaw_201030_1920x1080.jpg

NBC News Announcer: Decision 80. NBC News reports the results of our national election. From the NBC News Election Center in New York, here are Tom Brokaw and John Chancellor.
Chancellor: Good evening, and welcome to NBC News's coverage of the 1980 Presidential Election. Our team of correspondents, analysts, pollsters and commentators are assembled here in New York and around the country to see if Ronald Reagan can win reelection or if Edward Kennedy will be going to the Oval Office. We have been polling around the country in the key states, NBC News and the Associated Press, and what we're learning in the key states makes us believe that a very close election is on our hands. It is unlikely that the presidential election will be decided this evening. That's our belief, based on the polls, in key states. We have two projected states in the Presidential race. In Kentucky, NBC News projects that President Reagan is the winner of Kentucky's 9 electoral votes. And so, we will put on our map in blue, the state of Kentucky, for the Republican incumbent.

(Note: The red state and blue state color scheme was originally reversed. in 1980, blue states were Republican and red states were Democratic).

Chancellor: We'll make Kentucky, our projected winner for Reagan. We have the electoral vote there, given the fact that we have projected Indiana for Reagan earlier, is now 22 for Reagan, with two states projected so far. We have another southern state to project. Mississippi was carried by Reagan four years ago, and tonight, the President will carry Mississippi. And so again, we have moved another seven electoral votes for Reagan. Three states, with 29 electoral votes, for Reagan. Now we'd like to have you meet some of the people who will be reporting this evening. Jessica Savitch will be reporting on the governor and House of Representatives elections. Garrick Utley will be covering the Senate races for us, and Tom Brokaw and I will share the coverage of the Presidential race. David Brinkley, who is recovering nicely from an operation, will be providing commentary from time to time. Well Tom, it's turning out to be an interesting evening, perhaps more quickly than we had thought.

Brokaw: The pattern that we have on the map already is as expected. President Reagan was strong in the Southern states and the most conservative of the Midwestern states, Indiana. We will have to see whether Kennedy's choice of Glenn as vice president paid off for him in the other key Midwestern states such as Ohio, Glenn's home state, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Both campaigns believe that Kennedy is narrowly ahead in Pennsylvania, Illinois, and California. If Kennedy wins all three, he is likely to win the White House. However, all Reagan needs is his home state of California, and he returned there yesterday for a major rally in Anaheim, in an effort to make up the margin on Kennedy by driving out his base in Orange County and in more conservative San Diego. Kennedy was in California on Saturday and Sunday, in Los Angeles and San Francisco, to rally the more liberal vote. Like 1972, this election could come down to California. It's a little simpler in the state and congressional races, and Garrick Utley is going to take a look at some of the Senate races.

Utley: The numbers are very simple in the Senate. 100 senate seats, and it takes 51 to control the Senate. In the current session, the Democrats have 53 senate seats, Republicans have 46 seats, with one independent. That means tonight, the Republicans must pick up a net gain of at least three seats for Senate control, due to the likelihood that the independent, Harry Byrd of Virginia, will caucus with the Republicans. There are 34 seats up, but one was filled already. Senator Russell Long of Louisiana, a Democrat, was reelected in September. Republicans have expressed some optimism that they could win control of the Senate but Democrats are holding their own in some of the key races, due to the closeness of the presidential race. Back to you, John.

November 4, 1980, 8:30 PM

Chancellor: At 8:30 in the evening in New York, NBC News can make a series of projections for each candidate. President Reagan has shown dominance in the Southern states. Reagan is projected to win Florida, with its 17 electoral votes. Senator Kennedy expressed some optimism about competing in Florida because of Reagan's policies on Social Security, but the President has emerged victorious there. President Reagan has also won South Carolina rather handily, with its 8 electoral votes, and Alabama, with its 9 electoral votes. No Southern candidate on the ticket hurt Kennedy, as well as his liberal stances, in those conservative states. Senator Kennedy has carried his home state of Massachusetts, with its 14 electoral votes, and the District of Columbia, with its 3 electoral votes, rather handily. Kennedy has also carried Connecticut and Rhode Island, two of Massachusetts' neighbors, with 8 and 4 electoral votes respectively. NBC will color in those states blue for the President, and red for Senator Kennedy. The current electoral count has President Reagan leading with 63 electoral votes, and Senator Kennedy trailing with 29 electoral votes. Tom Brokaw.

Brokaw: We are seeing some surprises in a couple of other states. Vermont, which is normally a Republican state, has Kennedy in the lead. New Hampshire, a state bordering Massachusetts, has Reagan in the lead. West Virginia, a state which always goes Democratic, is too close to call at this time, but Kennedy leads slightly. It would be a shocker if the Republicans lost Vermont or the Democrats lost West Virginia. We'll introduce David Brinkley for the first time to comment on some of the results.

Brinkley: The Democratic South is no more. Democrats keep on nominating liberals from the Northeast like Ed Muskie and Ted Kennedy, and they just don't win in the South. I think had the Democrats nominated Glenn or Carter, they would have made inroads in the South. President Reagan was vulnerable against a moderate opponent, but I think Kennedy has to run the table in a lot of Midwest states to win the Presidency. That's why he picked Glenn, I think, as his running mate. Kennedy could still win. Polls had him narrowly leading New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and he was ahead in Ohio on the strength of Glenn, who has universal appeal there.

November 4, 9:00 PM

Chancellor: It is now 9 PM at NBC News Election Headquarters in New York, and the electoral map is filling in for both candidates. There are a couple of interesting results which we would not have been able to believe if you told them they would occur before the election. First, the projections that we expected. President Reagan will win the following states: North Carolina, with 13 electoral votes; Virginia, with 12 electoral votes; Georgia, with 12 electoral votes; and Tennessee, with 10 electoral votes. Senator Kennedy will win the following states: Maryland, with 10 electoral votes; West Virginia, with 6 electoral votes; Maine, with 4 electoral votes; and the big surprise, Vermont, with 3 electoral votes. Vermont has only gone Democratic once since the Civil War, in the 1964 Democratic landslide with Lyndon Johnson. Democratic strategists were relieved that West Virginia stayed in their column, because they feared that it would vote Reagan due to its conservatism. However, the economy was the top issue among West Virginians, and they blamed Reagan for the state of the economy. President Reagan still leads with 110 electoral votes, while Senator Kennedy has 52 electoral votes. Back to Tom Brokaw.

Brokaw: Although the President is ahead, there are some optimistic signs for Senator Kennedy in the Midwest. It appears that he is ahead in Pennsylvania and Ohio, two critical states for his strategy. Illinois, as you know, depends on the number of votes in Cook County, where Chicago is located, against the number of votes in the rest of the state. There are also some encouraging signs for Senator Kennedy in Michigan.

Brinkley: I still think Kennedy is going to fall short. There's a hidden Reagan vote that the polls were not picking up. President Reagan is running a point or two ahead of what we expected. If Reagan wins, I'm going to call it the Kennedy effect. Poll respondents were telling the pollsters that they were going to vote for Kennedy, but once they entered that voting booth, they went for Reagan due to moral issues. We're seeing this in our exit polls. Although the economy was the top issue, moral issues ranked second, and crime ranked third. Both of those issues favor the President.

November 4, 10:00 PM

Chancellor: At 10 PM on the East Coast, Senator Kennedy has made up a little ground, but we've had another surprise in a small state. First, Kennedy has won the second largest prize on the map, New York, with its 41 electoral votes. President Reagan wanted to compete in New York, but had to pull resources out of there a month before the election. Kennedy is projected to win New York with 56% of the vote. He dominated in New York City and even fought the President close to a draw in the suburbs, which are traditionally Republican. Senator Kennedy has also won Minnesota, 10 electoral votes, with 55% of the vote, and Delaware, 3 electoral votes, with 54% of the vote. President Reagan has also won a large state: Texas, with its 26 electoral votes, will go to the President. John Tower as a popular Vice President from Texas helped President Reagan there. Reagan has also won Louisiana, with its 10 electoral votes, and Arkansas, with its 6 electoral votes. The surprise of the night is New Hampshire. Its 4 electoral votes will go to President Reagan. A state bordering Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts has gone Republican. As we fill in the electoral map, blue for the President, and red for Senator Kennedy, we find that the President leads with 156 electoral votes, and Senator Kennedy trails with 106 electoral votes.

Brokaw: President Reagan is ahead, but if he is reelected, he's providing no coattails to his Republicans down the ballot in the Senate. It looks like he's going to have a Democratic House of Representatives and Senate once again.

Savitch: NBC News can project that the Democrats will retain control of the House of Representatives, and likely expand their majority. The personal issues surrounding Senator Kennedy did not extend to the races down the ticket. Democrats ran a strong race in the House of Representatives because they campaigned as a check on Reagan in a worst case scenario of a Reagan reelection. There was a lot of ticket splitting going on. Here's Garrick Utley with the status of the Senate.

Utley: The Republicans have won a Senate seat in Alabama, with Jeremiah Denton defeating Jim Folsom. However, the Republicans have lost two other Senate seats in the South that they were targeting. Herman Talmadge of Georgia has won another term, in a surprise, and Bill Gunter has defeated Jack Eckerd after a divisive fight in the Republican primary with Paula Hawkins, that damaged Eckerd. Republicans also targeted the Idaho Senate seat held by Frank Church, but Democrats are confident that Church will hold on. We're also seeing ticket-splitting in New Hampshire. Reagan won the state, but Senator John Durkin will defeat Warren Rudman there. In New York, Al D'Amato defeated Jacob Javits in the Republican primary, and Javits decided not to run on a third party line, giving the Democratic candidate Elizabeth Holtzman a relatively easy win. In North Carolina, Robert Burren Morgan narrowly held his seat over John Porter East. In Pennsylvania, Pete Flaherty, the former mayor of Pittsburgh, leads Arlen Specter, a former Democrat running as a Republican. Gaylord Nelson, the incumbent Democrat from Wisconsin, is also leading his race over Bob Kasten, a Republican House representative.

Brinkley: President Reagan wanted a Republican Congress, but it doesn't look like he's going to get it. He's going to be facing a Democratic House and likely a Democratic Senate. If he wins reelection, he'll have to keep on compromising with them. The Democrats could actually gain a seat or two in the Senate due to Republican infighting. If Senator Kennedy wins, he could have both houses of Congress in line with him.

November 4, 10:30 PM

Chancellor: It's 10:30 PM on the East Coast, and Senator Kennedy has won two crucial states, two states that he had to have, in order to win the White House. Kennedy has won the state of Pennsylvania with a projected 52% of the vote. Pennsylvania, with its 27 electoral votes, the third largest state on the electoral map, goes Democratic. Kennedy has also won neighboring New Jersey, with 52% of the vote. The economy was the top issue with voters in both states, and President Reagan took the blame. The President competed hard in both states for the working class vote, and ran the attack ads against Senator Kennedy over moral values, but Kennedy comes out on top in both states. Senator Kennedy also leads in Ohio, with its 25 electoral votes, Michigan, with its 21 electoral votes, and Wisconsin, with its 11 electoral votes, but we cannot declare a winner in any of those states as of now. President Reagan has swept the Great Plains states. Oklahoma, with 8 electoral votes, Kansas, with 7 electoral votes, Nebraska, with 5 electoral votes, South Dakota, with 4 electoral votes, and North Dakota, with 3 electoral votes, all go to the President. President Reagan leads with 183 electoral votes, and Senator Kennedy has closed the gap some, with 150 electoral votes.

Brokaw: Senator Kennedy is showing strength with working class voters in the Midwest and Northeast, aside from New Hampshire. He looks on course to win Ohio, a state that President Reagan counted on, and could win Illinois, President Reagan's home state. However, we still have those states as too close to call. David Brinkley.

Brinkley: It's going to come down to California again, just like in 1972. Get ready for a long night. Like I said in 1972, we should take a nap because California won't count its ballots very quickly. Senator Kennedy had a four point lead in California according to the Field Poll, which is the gold standard in the state. Based on that evidence, he'll like his chances if he wins Ohio and Illinois, even though the President was governor of California for two terms.

November 4, 11:00 PM

Chancellor: At 11:00 PM in New York, the Pacific states, California, Washington State, Oregon, and Hawaii have closed their polls. We cannot project a winner in any of those states at this point. However, we do have a winner in some of the smaller Western states and a couple of important Midwest states. President Reagan, as expected, swept most of the Mountain West. He has won Colorado, with 7 electoral votes; Arizona, with 6 electoral votes; New Mexico, with 4 electoral votes; Utah, with 4 electoral votes; Montana, with 4 electoral votes; Idaho, with 4 electoral votes; Wyoming, with 3 electoral votes; and Nevada, with 3 electoral votes. Senator Kennedy adds one big state to his column, and that is Michigan, with 21 electoral votes. Kennedy will win 52% of the vote in Michigan. The poor economy once again was the top issue. President Reagan did not deliver the relief he promised in the Midwest, and it cost him in Michigan. President Reagan leads with 218 electoral votes, and Senator Kennedy trails with 171.

Brokaw: Here's a rundown of the other Midwest states which are still undecided. In Ohio, Kennedy leads with 51.1% of the vote. In Wisconsin, Kennedy leads with 51.3% of the vote. In Illinois, it is literally too close to call. Senator Kennedy leads with 50.6% of the vote. In Iowa, President Reagan leads with 52% of the vote. In Missouri, President Reagan leads with 51.1% of the vote.

Brinkley: If I have my math right, and we give Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois to Kennedy, and Iowa and Missouri to Reagan, then it comes down to California. For the second time in three elections, California will decide the Presidency.

November 4, 11:30 PM

Chancellor: First, we have a congressional call to make. Garrick Utley.

Utley: The Democrats will control the United States Senate. NBC News projects that Democrat Elizabeth Holtzman will win in New York over Republican Alfonse D'Amato. Gaylord Nelson will retain his seat in Wisconsin, Gary Hart will retain his seat in Colorado, and Alan Cranston will retain his seat in California, giving the Democrats 51 seats and a majority in the Senate for another two years. Jessica Savitch reported earlier that the Democrats will also control the House of Representatives, which was the less likely of the two chambers of Congress to change control.

Brinkley: Even if President Reagan wins reelection, he won't be able to enact all his policies, unless the Republicans somehow win Congress in 1982, and that is highly unlikely given the trend that the party out of power in the White House loses seats in a midterm. He'll have to cut deals with the Southern Democrats, just like he did in his first term.

Chancellor: That's assuming the President wins reelection, David.

Brinkley: Exactly. That's no sure thing right now.

Chancellor: We also have calls to make in the Midwest. We have a major call in Ohio. Senator Kennedy has won Ohio and its 25 electoral votes with 51% of the vote. That is a major blow to the Reagan camp. Senator Glenn certainly won that Republican-leaning state for Kennedy. Senator Kennedy has also won Wisconsin and its 11 electoral votes with 52% of the vote. President Reagan will win neighboring Iowa, with its 8 electoral votes, and Missouri, a classic bellwether state, with 51% of the vote. Only Illinois in the Midwest and the Pacific states remain uncalled at this hour. President Reagan still leads with 238 electoral votes, 32 away from the White House, and Senator Kennedy trails with 207 electoral votes. What can we make of Illinois, Tom Brokaw?

Brokaw: Illinois is the closest state in the country at this time. Senator Kennedy leads very narrowly, with 50.0% of the vote to President Reagan's 49.3% of the vote. Only a few thousand votes separate the candidates. If President Reagan can win Illinois, he can avoid the disaster scenario of losing California by winning any combination of Alaska plus Washington State or Oregon. That would give the President 273 electoral votes, with Illinois' 26 plus six from Oregon and 3 from Alaska. If Senator Kennedy holds onto his narrow lead in Illinois, then David Brinkley's California for the Presidency scenario will come true. President Reagan will be 32 electoral votes from the White House, and Senator Kennedy would be 37 electoral votes away. California, as we know, has 45 electoral votes, which would put either Reagan or Kennedy over the top.

Brinkley: I think we should all go in the back of the studio and sleep the night away if California is the deciding state again. We know they won't be done counting for a day or two.

Chancellor: Unfortunately, we can't do that, David.

Brinkley: You and Tom can't do that, but I'm going to, John.

November 5, 12:00 AM

Chancellor: Senator Kennedy has earned a major win, this time in Illinois. Illinois goes narrowly for Edward Kennedy, just like it did for his brother John, 20 years ago. Of course, Illinois was the deciding state in JFK's victory over Richard Nixon in 1960, but it won't be the decisive state this time. Illinois only sets up California as the decisive state. Senator Kennedy has also won Hawaii, with its 4 electoral votes. This narrows President Reagan's lead to a single electoral vote: President Reagan leads with 238 electoral votes, and Senator Kennedy trails with 237. It can hardly get any closer.

Brokaw: We've gotten reports of incredibly strong turnout in Orange County and San Diego. Turnout in San Francisco was strong, but not as strong in Democratic areas of Los Angeles. Polls had Kennedy with a slight lead in California, but the turnout indicates that President Reagan could pull it out.

Brinkley: I'm taking a nap. See you when the sun rises tomorrow, John. California will still be undecided when I wake up.

Chancellor: There you have it, folks. David Brinkley is taking a nap. Maybe the most important news of the night.

November 5, 1:30 AM

Chancellor: Three more state calls to make. Senator Kennedy has won Washington State, with its 9 electoral votes. President Reagan has won Oregon, with its 6 electoral votes, and Alaska, with its 3 electoral votes. The President maintains his one vote electoral advantage. 247 for the President, 246 for Senator Kennedy. It's all down to California. What do the returns look like there?

Brokaw: Reagan has a very narrow lead. With 65% of the precincts counted, President Reagan leads Senator Kennedy by about 5,000 votes. The polling in California did not account for Reagan's strength there, especially in Southern California. He did serve two terms as governor.

Brinkley: What did I miss? I just woke up.

Chancellor: It's a very close race in California, David.

Brinkley: As I expected. I never believed the polls showing Kennedy up four or five points there. Is California really going to vote against Ronald Reagan?

Chancellor: Well they did vote against Nixon in the 1962 governor's race and famously in 1972 to decide that election, David. Nixon was from California, as you know.

Brinkley: Nixon also had more going against him in 1972, I think. He had scandals that directly affected him and his vice president. Those dragged him down to the point where he could lose California. Nixon also won California in 1960 against Kennedy when we initially projected a Kennedy win there.

November 5, 8:00 AM

President Reagan makes a speech proclaiming that he has won California, and the election. Senator Kennedy tells his supporters to wait for the results.

Chancellor: President Reagan has approximately a 10,000 vote lead, with 90% of the votes counted. Unless Senator Kennedy can win most of the outstanding votes, it looks like President Reagan will win a second term.

Brinkley: So the Kennedy effect is real. Not a single poll out of California had Reagan winning. Voters in California saw that Chappaquiddick ad and said they trusted their former governor over the Massachusetts senator from the other side of the country.

November 5, 2:00 PM

Chancellor: We have enough results out of California to project a winner. President Ronald Wilson Reagan has won a second term, with 51% of the vote. Senator Kennedy will reportedly concede the race within the hour.

November 5, 3:30 PM

Senator Kennedy concedes. He tells his crying supporters, "Although my dream of winning the Presidency has died, the American dream will never die. I will not challenge the results in California, as President Nixon did eight years ago, for the good of the country. Although President Reagan and I have our differences, it is time to unite as a nation and wish him luck."

November 5, 4:30 PM

President Reagan makes his victory speech. He tells his jubilant supporters, "Conservatism is in the ascendancy, and I have a mandate to govern this country. We will complete all the tasks I set out to accomplish in my first term. We will reduce crime, fight communism, and lower taxes, this time to a far greater extent than I did in my first term. We will get this economy back on track. In the next few weeks, we will also win release of the rest of the hostages in Iran."

genusmap.php

REAGAN/TOWER: 292 EV, 48.9% PV
KENNEDY/GLENN: 246 EV, 48.7% PV

Last edited:
1980 Congressional Elections and Composition of the Senate
Despite President Reagan's reelection, the Democrats maintained their control of the House of Representatives, losing only five seats. They have 252 seats, while the Republicans have 183. Morris Udall (D) remains Speaker of the House, and John Rhodes (R) remains minority leader.

The following Senate seats changed hands:

Alabama: Jeremiah Denton (R) defeats Jim Folsom, Jr. (D)--Republican gain
Alaska: Frank Murkowski (R) defeats Clark Gruening (D)--Republican gain
Florida: Bill Gunter (D) defeats Jack Eckerd (R)--Democratic gain
New York: Elizabeth Holtzman (D) defeats Alfonse D'Amato (R)--Democratic gain
Pennsylvania: Peter F. Flaherty (D) defeats Arlen Specter (R)--Democratic gain

The following seats, which changed hands IRL to the Republicans in the 1980 election, remained in Democratic hands.

Georgia: Herman Talmadge (D) defeats Mack Mattingly (R)
Idaho: Frank Church (D) defeats Steve Symms (R)
New Hampshire: John Durkin (D) defeats Warren Rudman (R)
North Carolina: Robert Burren Morgan (D) defeats John Porter East (R)
Washington: Warren Magnuson (D) defeats Slade Gorton (R)
Wisconsin: Gaylord Nelson (D) defeats Bob Kasten (R)

The Democrats have 57 seats, the Republicans have 42 seats, and there is one independent. Robert Byrd (D) is Senate majority leader, and Howard Baker (R) is Senate minority leader.

Good fighting crime and communism etc etc when you lower taxes.... oh and with a hostile Hill.

Definitely not a 'good clean fight' there Ronnie.

Bet Maggie T is first on the phone to congratulate the President.

Good fighting crime and communism etc etc when you lower taxes.... oh and with a hostile Hill.

Definitely not a 'good clean fight' there Ronnie.

Bet Maggie T is first on the phone to congratulate the President.
Reagan can fight crime and communism with that Congress but he's never getting a tax cut through without a spending increase. Especially not with the House of Representatives with that Democratic majority

This is the timeline where Mondale might actually win in 1984...
John Glenn ITTL is going to be a big frontrunner in 1984. IRL 1984 Mondale had served as Vice President to Jimmy Carter. ITTL he never became VP because Jimmy Carter never became President. I think the 1984 primary participants are going to be the same: Walter Mondale, Gary Hart, John Glenn and Jesse Jackson. Reubin Askew, Democratic governor of Florida in 1984, could run as a Southern candidate, but there are no real Southern candidates of presidential timber at this point, because it's early for Bill Clinton and Al Gore. Assuming Glenn wins the Democratic nomination there will be drama around his VP choice because Jackson will want it (or want another African-American to be VP), and there will be demands for a woman on the ticket as well, just like OTL.

The Republican primary is likely John Tower's to lose, but he's not exactly an inspiring candidate, so Bob Dole will give it a shot, along with Paul Laxalt, Pat Robertson, Jack Kemp and Jesse Helms. The Republican bench isn't exactly very good with George H.W. Bush out of the picture, after he had to resign from the CIA ITTL due to a failed extrication of the Iranian hostages.

There was a lot of drama ITTL's 1972, some in 1976 and a lot in 1980's presidential election. I think 1984 is going to be ho-hum for the most part, with Glenn as a heavy favorite in both the Democratic primary and general election after eight years of Reagan failing to get most of his agenda passed...

Last edited:
That's it... a Second American Civil War is now unavoidable.
Democrats are in firm control of Congress and will likely be in even greater control after 1982 so they're content just to sit Reagan out, despite not winning the White House. If anyone is going to get mad it'll be Republican voters who are expecting a lot out of Reagan, who has to water things down because Speaker of the House Morris Udall won't let conservative policies pass without a lot of spending for social programs. Ronald Reagan is President but Morris Udall is effectively the most powerful man in Washington because he controls the House and there's a liberal/left-of-center majority there that is going to balk at conservative social experimentation, tax cuts and red-baiting. Remember, IRL Reagan had a Republican senate until the 1986 elections and a Democratic Speaker in Tip O'Neill (and later Jim Wright after 1987) who was willing to play ball with him. ITTL he's got a far more hostile House and Senate. His first term had a Democratic House and Senate, and now his second term will have the same...

Reagan might have won but it's kind of a Pyrrhic victory. He's effectively a lame duck already and will be even more so after 1982

Last edited:
Reliant Episode idea:

Investigating reports of disturbances on New Kingston, the Reliant discovers the planet's President had just been re-elected in a contentious tight election, but the Legislature- the House of the People belongs to his opponent's party and he has been unable to enact reforms the planet needs esp in Agriculture as everything is being blocked as the opposition is throwing out EVERYTHING until a law is passed that the President utterly refuses to sign off on (something controversial like Universal Health Care)

The Agriculture reforms need to go through otherwise the planet may be facing starvation as the population is radically rising. Both the President and Opposition have rallied their supporters and riots are breaking out across the planet.

Can Captain Terrell come up with a plan?

Last post on this, and this actually is related to Star Trek, and it's where the politics and Star Trek will finally tie together.

George Takei was active in Los Angeles politics when Tom Bradley was mayor of Los Angeles in the 1970s and early 1980s. He served I think on a transportation board for the city. The 1980 presidential election ITTL leads to six year Republican fatigue, which could lead to the following things:

Tom Bradley wins the California governor's race in 1982 against George Deukmejian. The polls are right because we have a President going into a second midterm instead of a first midterm, so Democrats have enough of an advantage to make up the 1% he lost by IRL. Because Bradley becomes governor of California, the Los Angeles mayoralty becomes an open seat. Bradley could endorse Takei for the mayoralty since ITTL Takei is still working on the transportation board after his LA City Council tenure. Takei becomes mayor of Los Angeles in 1983, does a good job, leaves for Star Trek: Excelsior in the 1990s, and then either runs for California Governor or Senate in 1998.

If Kennedy got elected (which was my preference but not super realistic because I didn't change Chappaquiddick), then 1982 becomes a big Republican year and Bradley gets beaten pretty badly in the CA governor's race. In 1986, Bradley did run again for CA Governor but he was a retread candidate by that point after coming close in 1982

Last edited:
Chapter 153: November 1980, Star Trek Reliant
This will be a short update. Pretty much three Star Trek Reliant episodes and the end of filming for Wrath of Khan.

STAR TREK RELIANT EPISODES

EPISODE 8: THE NEEDS OF THE MANY (Air date: November 11, 1980). Following Ogrebear's nice story idea, the colony of New Kingston is running out of food. The two political parties on the planet argue about how to distribute the food. Terrell offers food supplies from the Federation, but he is overruled by Starfleet Command because New Kingston is supposed to be self sufficient. Terrell considers violating his orders to get food to the planet but he will lose his command if he does so. Meanwhile, on the planet, riots break out and the president of the planet, Jonathan Gower, fails to quell the riots and Terrell sends Sulu, Chekov and M'Benga down to the planet to mediate. Sulu and Chekov remind Gower of what Kodos the Executioner did on Tarsus IV, and tell Gower that he will face Federation imprisonment if he attempts a similar solution. Chekov and M'Benga find that the New Kingston farmers have not been treating the soil and plant life on the planet with care. They devise a solution to the problem that will allow New Kingston to be self-sustainable so they will not lose their colony status with the Federation. After a lot of wrangling, Gower agrees and the solution is implemented.

EPISODE 9: A MEETING OF THE MINDS (Air date, November 18, 1980). Commander Montgomery Scott boards the Enterprise to inspect the Reliant, specifically the engineering section. Chief Engineer Arias is eager to meet his idol, who he learned from at Starfleet Academy, but Scotty is dismissive. Arias discovers that Scotty is sending him a message: Be your own man, because there's only one Montgomery Scott. Reliant is pulled towards a quasar, and there is apparently no way out. Scotty and Arias have to work together to devise a solution to save the ship.

EPISODE 10: HOMESICK (Air date, November 25, 1980). Lieutenant Garvin is unable to focus on her duties because she has been away from Earth for too long. She asks for shore leave, but Terrell refuses her, because the Reliant is about to patrol the Klingon Neutral Zone again, and Terrell needs his best officers on the mission. Garvin is extremely upset and considers resigning her commission, but receives an unexpected message from her mentor, Commander Uhura. Uhura tells Garvin that Starfleet officers have to survive the five year mission that they've been assigned to. Garvin questions whether she's cut out for Starfleet, but a crisis erupts on a Klingon colony, and Reliant needs a Klingon fluent translator to save the colony. Garvin is the only person on Reliant fluent in Klingon, so she facilitates the rescue and receives a commendation both from Starfleet and the Klingon Empire for her efforts. Garvin asks a Klingon emissary if peace is possible, and is told, "Not for the older generation, but maybe for our generation."

Recollections from Wrath of Khan:

Shatner: Nobody leaked anything about the script or plot, other than the fact that Ricardo Montalban returned to play Khan. When audiences saw Spock die, they were shocked into tears. We wondered whether we killed Star Trek. Instead, we made it even more popular than ever.

Nimoy: I wanted to pursue other projects both as an actor and director. That's why I didn't want to play Spock anymore. But I had so much fun filming The Wrath of Khan that Harve Bennett had me place my mind in Dee Kelley's mind so that I could be revived in a sequel. As it turned out, I was revived. The only problem was my decision placed our storytelling in a box. Because Spock died, demand was so great to bring him back that we had to make another movie simply to bring him back to life.

Kelley: I also thought, like Leonard, that there would be no more Star Trek films after The Wrath of Khan. But Harve Bennett was all about making as many movies as possible, and his simple move of placing Spock's katra in McCoy's brain made us millions of more dollars. It was a smart move by Bennett, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Democrats are in firm control of Congress and will likely be in even greater control after 1982 so they're content just to sit Reagan out, despite not winning the White House. If anyone is going to get mad it'll be Republican voters who are expecting a lot out of Reagan, who has to water things down because Speaker of the House Morris Udall won't let conservative policies pass without a lot of spending for social programs. Ronald Reagan is President but Morris Udall is effectively the most powerful man in Washington because he controls the House and there's a liberal/left-of-center majority there that is going to balk at conservative social experimentation, tax cuts and red-baiting. Remember, IRL Reagan had a Republican senate until the 1986 elections and a Democratic Speaker in Tip O'Neill (and later Jim Wright after 1987) who was willing to play ball with him. ITTL he's got a far more hostile House and Senate. His first term had a Democratic House and Senate, and now his second term will have the same...

Reagan might have won but it's kind of a Pyrrhic victory. He's effectively a lame duck already and will be even more so after 1982
Even so, I can see this election opening the culture gap we see today.

Keeping the Spock death under wraps is an amazing feat concerning how many much have been invovled OTL and ITTL.

Be good if ITTL they keep the destruction of the Enterprise in ST:III under wraps unlike OTL where it is in the trailer!