WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A very funny subplot in this series would be Tom Hanks (big Trekker IRL) asking Kirstie Alley’s character on a date. Alley’s character is suspicious but starts to buy in, but then Hanks’ character says his best idea of a date is watching a Star Trek rerun...and then of course Alley is in Wrath of Khan

A very funny subplot in this series would be Tom Hanks (big Trekker IRL) asking Kirstie Alley’s character on a date. Alley’s character is suspicious but starts to buy in, but then Hanks’ character says his best idea of a date is watching a Star Trek rerun...and then of course Alley is in Wrath of Khan

Could we see Tom Hanks in a Star Trek feature?

I'll try for an update tomorrow. Friday is pretty jam-packed so I'm looking at tomorrow and Saturday for big updates. Then I have a lot of free time

Chapter 143: January 1980
We start the 1980s. In this update, the Democratic Primary Iowa caucuses have a surprise winner; the Soviets leave Czechoslovakia after their invasion of Afghanistan, and Star Trek: Reliant begins filming with Paul Winfield, George Takei and Walter Koenig.

download-1.jpg

U.S.S.R. WITHDRAWS FROM CZECHOSLOVAKIA IN WIN FOR WEST

January 7, 1980

Armed forces of the U.S.S.R. have pulled out of Czechoslovakia, returning to their bases in East Germany, Poland and Hungary after almost three years of occupation. The recent Soviet invasion of Afghanistan forced Soviet premier Mr. Yuri Andropov's hand, and sources in Moscow believe that Central Asia is becoming more difficult to manage than Central Europe. "The Russian withdrawal from Czechoslovakia will give the citizens of that beleaguered nation a chance to join the free world," President Ronald Reagan said. "It is a victory for free peoples against the evil scourge of communism." Last month, the Russians invaded Afghanistan to support the Communist government previously in control in Kabul. State Department sources expect that the Reagan administration will arm the anti-Communist forces in an effort to repel the Soviets. "We think that Czechoslovakia to them was similar to Vietnam for us, and Afghanistan could be even worse for them," a source close to Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said. "Mr. Andropov is overplaying his hand. He believes he can simply crush opposition to Communism, when in fact it is natural to oppose his form of oppression." It is believed that Vaclav Havel, one of the leaders of the Czechoslovakian resistance, will win an election later this year and remove Czechoslovakia from the Warsaw Pact. "We anticipate that Czechoslovakia will join N.A.T.O. within two years, once Mr. Havel is president," Mr. Kissinger said. "This will change the balance of power in Europe against the Soviet Union. We also anticipate that the Russians will struggle in their effort to pacify Afghanistan."

gettyimages-149994365-1024x1024.jpg

GLENN WINS IOWA CAUCUS IN SHOCK TO KENNEDY

January 22, 1980

Ohio senator John Glenn pulled out an upset victory over the frontrunner from Massachusetts, senator Edward Kennedy, in the Iowa caucuses last night. Glenn won 34% of the vote, with Kennedy in second at 25%. Georgia governor Jimmy Carter finished third with 17%; Minnesota senator Walter Mondale finished fourth with 12%, while Colorado senator Gary Hart finished with 10%. Pulling up the rear was New York City mayor Edward Koch, with only two percent of the vote. At his victory party, Glenn announced the following: "Americans believe in my "real deal," and we will carry this success to all corners of the country. I am confident that I will be the nominee for the Democratic Party in the fall against President Reagan." Koch announced that he was leaving the race, but declared that none of the Democrats have a chance to defeat President Reagan because they will lose on the crime issue. Despite the fact that Mondale finished behind Kennedy in a neighboring state, he will remain in the race when it heads to New Hampshire, where Kennedy is expected to win easily. "I will campaign until it is impossible to continue," Mondale said to his crowd in Des Moines. Hart was more optimistic, despite finishing fifth. "I'm the only candidate from the West in the race, and when the primary shifts west, I will have an advantage," Hart said. Carter also remained in the race, with his stronger showing indicating a possible dominance in the Southern states. "I expect to win most of the states in the South," Carter said. "My showing here also gives me an opportunity nationally." Despite finishing behind Glenn, Kennedy was unfazed. "The next four primaries are in New England. I'm the candidate of New England, and I'll carry all of them easily. That will give me the momentum for the later contests."

large_thumbnail.jpg

WINFIELD AND TAKEI TALK ABOUT DIVERSITY IN STAR TREK: RELIANT

January 29, 1980

Paul Winfield, who will be the first African-American lead in a science fiction series, and George Takei, reprising his role as Mr. Sulu, were proud of Gene Roddenberry and Harve Bennett for insisting on a diverse cast for the new Star Trek series, based on the U.S.S. Reliant, a starship seen in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. "I'm happy to be the star of a Star Trek series," Winfield said. "This demonstrates that African-Americans have a voice in Star Trek, and we will always be represented well in the future. We also have Alfre Woodard on the cast, and she loves her role. We got Booker Bradshaw back into acting, and he's highly anticipating the scripts and stories. We expect this series to be a major hit." Takei was also pleased with Paramount's vision for the series. "In the 23rd century, Gene Roddenberry said that the Starship Enterprise was actually Starship Earth, united in peace and harmony," Takei said. "Harve Bennett agreed with Roddenberry on this, and in fact went one step further by agreeing to myself as an Asian first officer, Alfre Woodard as another African-American in the cast, and Edward James Olmos as Hispanic representation in the series, which we haven't had before." Star Trek: Reliant is expected to headline Paramount's new television network in the fall of 1980, and Paramount expects the series to be a hit. "Fans have waited for new Star Trek on television for almost a decade, and they're finally going to get it," Paramount president Michael Eisner said. "Much is riding on the success of this series."

Last edited:
Russia troops leaving Czechoslovakia is no where close to the country leaving the Warsaw Pact or becoming a democracy Mr President.

Wonder if Andropov will realise Afghanistan is a sink hole and get out? The money could be spent better on the Soviet space program and economy, he his advisors should tell him that.

Wonder if Glenn can make a VP deal with one of the other candidates in exchange for them dropping out?

I really want Star Trek: Reliant to be success, not only cos it keeping Star Trek alive, but also cos it will show that a diverse cast (inc some non-Humans please!) can carry a major TV series. If this show is headlining Paramount TV it has GOT to be good enough to over come those bigots who will write it off as 'pandering' or even those who think you cannot have Trek without Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

Russia troops leaving Czechoslovakia is no where close to the country leaving the Warsaw Pact or becoming a democracy Mr President.

Wonder if Andropov will realise Afghanistan is a sink hole and get out? The money could be spent better on the Soviet space program and economy, he his advisors should tell him that.

Wonder if Glenn can make a VP deal with one of the other candidates in exchange for them dropping out?

I really want Star Trek: Reliant to be success, not only cos it keeping Star Trek alive, but also cos it will show that a diverse cast (inc some non-Humans please!) can carry a major TV series. If this show is headlining Paramount TV it has GOT to be good enough to over come those bigots who will write it off as 'pandering' or even those who think you cannot have Trek without Kirk/Spock/McCoy.
I want Star Trek: Reliant to succeed too but it’s only going to last one season because they have to film Wrath of Khan. It’s most likely going to succeed because Sulu and Chekov are promoted to second and third leads

Czechoslovakia could elect Havel and leave the Warsaw Pact.

The Russians aren’t only going to stay in Afghanistan, they might see an opportunity to turn Iran communist. The Iran-Iraq war could be a lot shorter ITTL and there was a communist party in Iran

Last edited:
Chapter 144: February 1980
In this update, Ted Kennedy sweeps the New England primaries, reestablishing himself as the Democratic frontrunner for President. Star Trek: The Motion Picture becomes the highest selling movie of all time on VCRs (VHS and Betamax), surpassing Star Wars. Plus, Paramount forms its news team, in anticipation of the new television network launch in September.

maxresdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
gettyimages-140888814-612x612.jpg
npg_78_tc319-r-wr.jpg

PARAMOUNT RAIDS CBS
CRONKITE, MUDD, BRADLEY TO JOIN NEW NETWORK

February 7, 1980

Paramount has stunned the television business again with the announcement that five of the top journalists in the business, including the legendary Walter Cronkite, will join the new network. Roger Mudd and Ed Bradley, both of CBS, will co-host the Paramount Evening News, to premiere in September. Edwin Newman of NBC News and Harry Reasoner of ABC News will also join Paramount as lead investigative reporters. Cronkite, who will be forced into retirement next year at CBS on his 65th birthday, plans to extend his career with Paramount starting in 1981. "With the signings of Roger Mudd, Ed Bradley, Harry Reasoner and Edwin Newman, Paramount will immediately establish itself as a leading news network, in addition to being an entertainment channel," Paramount president Michael Eisner said. "We intend to be a complete network, on the cutting edge of the news business as well." Bradley will become the first African-American anchor of a nightly news broadcast, a historic first for Paramount. "Ed Bradley is one of the top journalists in the world, and we had to pay a significant amount, including the promise of being the face of Paramount News, for him to leave CBS," Eisner said. "It was worth every penny." It is rumored that Paramount is trying to outbid Ted Turner for the services of Daniel Schorr, another former CBS veteran. Two other names bandied about as new additions to Paramount are Marlene Sanders of CBS and Connie Chung, who would become one of the first Asian-American lead broadcast journalists on television.

1200px-VHS_logo.svg.png
Star_Trek_The_Motion_Picture_poster.png

STAR TREK BECOMES ALL TIME LEADING VIDEO CASSETTE SELLER
SURPASSES STAR WARS

February 22, 1980

Paramount has another milestone to celebrate. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the smash hit that broke box office records in 1978 and 1979, is now the highest selling videocassette in history. Star Trek, which made $375 million worldwide, has made millions more in video sales, beating out Star Wars, the previous record holder. "It's no wonder that Paramount wants a Star Trek sequel out there as soon as possible. They have broken the bank with Star Trek," Vonda McIntyre, one of the top writers of Star Trek's novels, said. "I barely got my copy of Star Trek: The Motion Picture before it sold out of stores." Paramount will premiere a new series, Star Trek: Reliant, with a diverse cast and Paramount plans to place the 20 episodes of Reliant on videocassette before the sequel which will start shooting later this year, and premiere in November 1981. "We believe that the new miniseries will be extremely popular on videocassette in addition to its potential as a first run hit," said Don Simpson, a Paramount executive. "Due to the success of our Star Trek movie, we believe that placing all the series on videocassette will create an extra revenue stream for the studio." In response to the high demand, Paramount has called back Academy Award winning director Robert Wise to arrange a director's special edition of the film which will also be released on videocassette sometime in the next three years. "We want Star Trek fans to see a few deleted scenes from the picture," Simpson said. "They will be very interested in what we cut from the film."

hqdefault.jpg

KENNEDY REESTABLISHES FRONTRUNNER STATUS WITH WIN IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

February 27, 1980

If Senator John Glenn of Ohio planned to carry his win in Iowa to success in New England, he was rudely awakened by the voters there, who declared their states Ted Kennedy territory. After a dominant win in the Maine caucus, where Kennedy almost shut Glenn out of delegates, Kennedy won 51% of the vote in New Hampshire, eliminating Minnesota senator Walter Mondale from the race. Mondale threw his endorsement to the Massachusetts senator, declaring that "we need another man in the White House of the same stature as Roosevelt and Truman, and Edward Kennedy is that man." Glenn won only 20% of the vote, finishing second. Gary Hart, the upstart senator from Colorado, surprised with 12% of the vote, but acquired no delegates. However, Hart decided to stay in the race. "My best states are later in the race, and there is no reason for me to drop out yet," Hart said. Georgia governor Jimmy Carter finished with only 10% of the vote, but also argued his case to remain in the contest. "Once March 11 comes around, I'll win in Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and my home state of Georgia," Carter said. "I'm staying in this race as long as I possibly can." Kennedy, at his victory party, declared that his nomination was inevitable. "I will be the Democratic nominee for President by the end of March, and I will unite the party to defeat President Reagan in November," Kennedy said. "We will bring the enlightened policies of the New Deal and my brother's New Frontier back to the White House."

Last edited:
I still cannot see Czechoslovakia getting a democratic govt just cos Soviet troops have left. The Communist Party will still control the country and its military. They are not folding in 1980 just cos the Soviets are gone. The Party is still in control. Also even if they do have an election, it will not be fair and the Party will cheat. Even if Havel becomes President somehow, the threat of the USSR rolling back in will keep Czechoslovakia Warsaw Pact aligned for a long time.

Decent set of anchors for Paramount's News Service, but a lot will depend on the quality of the reporters bringing in the news and their sources.

Black and Asian faces will certain be a surprise for a lot of America- good.

I suppose it was invertible that Star Trek: The Motion Picture would sell well on tape- well its all good money in the Trek piggy bank. Is a Directors Cut a new thing at this point?

Can they get 20 episodes of a Series on tape in 1981/2? Like TOS, Reliant is going to be a box set.

Come on Glenn!

I still cannot see Czechoslovakia getting a democratic govt just cos Soviet troops have left. The Communist Party will still control the country and its military. They are not folding in 1980 just cos the Soviets are gone. The Party is still in control. Also even if they do have an election, it will not be fair and the Party will cheat. Even if Havel becomes President somehow, the threat of the USSR rolling back in will keep Czechoslovakia Warsaw Pact aligned for a long time.

Decent set of anchors for Paramount's News Service, but a lot will depend on the quality of the reporters bringing in the news and their sources.

Black and Asian faces will certain be a surprise for a lot of America- good.

I suppose it was invertible that Star Trek: The Motion Picture would sell well on tape- well its all good money in the Trek piggy bank. Is a Directors Cut a new thing at this point?

Can they get 20 episodes of a Series on tape in 1981/2? Like TOS, Reliant is going to be a box set.

Come on Glenn!
I think you're right on Czechoslovakia to a point. Freedom from the Communist bloc will be difficult to manage even with the Soviets out because of pro-Communist leanings in the army. But I'm imagining a situation where they become neutral, then the Communists get thrown out from within earlier than OTL and Czechoslovakia joins NATO in the late 80s.

Paramount has a tremendous amount of talent in their news division. Ed Bradley being the first black anchor of a weekly nightly news network to compete with Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather and Peter Jennings will be a historic accomplishment, and Bradley is as talented a newsman as anyone. Roger Mudd was at one point next in line to succeed Cronkite at CBS before Dan Rather jumped him in line IRL. Plus Cronkite himself is coming to Paramount after CBS enforces his age 65 retirement in 1981 so Paramount probably has the top news division of any network within a year. Then you add Edwin Newman, a top reporter at NBC IRL, Harry Reasoner, one of ABC's major anchors IRL, Daniel Schorr, Marlene Sanders and Connie Chung, and Paramount will be as professional and top notch as the Big Three. Plus Cronkite with more power at a new network than what he even had at CBS is going to be significant because he's still the biggest news personality in America and he'll tilt the country away from the right wing in the 80s IMO as his editorial viewpoints will be suppressed less at Paramount than they were at CBS IRL. Paramount's desire to be a little left of center politically could also attract a top investigative journalist like David Halberstam to the network.

A director's cut of a movie would be a relatively new concept at this point, although Nick Meyer had control of the television cut of Wrath of Khan when it premiered on ABC television in the US in 1985, and that was slightly different than the theatrical release.

Star Trek: Reliant would consist of ten VHS cassettes. VCR tapes could generally accommodate two to two and a half hours of film in the early 1980s.

Glenn is still in the race but the March calendar of primaries and caucuses looks like this. We're down to 4 candidates (Kennedy, Glenn, Carter and Hart):

March 4: Massachusetts (definitely Kennedy)
Vermont (definitely Kennedy)

March 11: Alabama (definitely Carter)
Delaware (Kennedy favored, but Glenn or Carter could win. Delaware is kind of a bellwether both at national and primary level at this point in history)
Florida (likely Carter, but Glenn's history as an astronaut gives him a decent chance. Kennedy would struggle here)
Georgia (definitely Carter)
Oklahoma (close between Carter and Glenn, Kennedy's liberalism would not do well here)
Washington State (Kennedy favored, but Hart could do well here, and Glenn would have to finish above Hart)

March 15: Wyoming (tossup between Glenn and Hart, Kennedy's liberalism would not do well here)

March 16: Puerto Rico (definitely Kennedy)

March 18: Illinois (Glenn has to win this one to stand a chance. He's favored but Kennedy could push him close)

March 23: Virginia (Close between Carter and Glenn. Glenn has to win here to get enough delegates to compete with Kennedy)

March 25: Connecticut (Definitely Kennedy)
New York (Definitely Kennedy. Glenn would have to do well upstate and in the suburbs to finish 2nd and get delegates because Kennedy likely wins NYC)

Kennedy likely has one hand on the nomination at the end of March

Last edited:
There is a path for Glenn, but most of these things would have to happen:

Glenn upsets Kennedy in Delaware
Glenn beats Carter in Oklahoma and Virginia, and runs him close in Florida
Glenn finishes ahead of Hart in Washington State, which would likely knock Hart out
Glenn wins Illinois convincingly

Last edited:
Chapter 145: March 1980
Most of this update will focus on the 1980 Democratic presidential primary. I'll write up a synopsis of the March primaries in addition to an article that sums them up at the end of the update, which will be a Carter attack on Kennedy. In addition, the economy enters a deep recession, damaging President Reagan and placing him at risk of losing reelection. Plus, Nichelle Nichols talks about her experience playing Grace Nichols, Bobby Ewing's lawyer, on Dallas ITTL.

ftnkennedyweb519.jpg
John_Glenn_97th_Congress_1981_(cropped).jpg
jimmy_carter.jpg
images.jpg

Going into the March 1980 Democratic primaries, the delegate standings were as follows:

Ted Kennedy: 48
John Glenn: 30
Jimmy Carter: 4
Gary Hart: 2

3315 delegates at stake, 1658 delegates required to win

March 1980 Democratic primary results:

Vermont, March 4: Kennedy 48%, Glenn 24%, Hart 16%, Carter 12% (Kennedy 8 delegates, Glenn 4 delegates, Hart 1 delegate, Carter 0 delegates)
Massachusetts, March 4: Kennedy 60%, Glenn 17%, Hart 13%, Carter 10% (Kennedy 104 delegates, Glenn 8 delegates, Hart 0 delegates, Carter 0 delegates)
Alabama, March 11: Carter 54%, Glenn 22%, Kennedy 19%, Hart 5% (Carter 36 delegates, Glenn 7 delegates, Kennedy 4 delegates, Hart 0 delegates)
Delaware, March 11: Glenn 34%, Kennedy 31%, Carter 28%, Hart 6% (Glenn 4 delegates, Kennedy 4 delegates, Carter 3 delegates, Hart 0 delegates)
Florida, March 11: Carter 40%, Glenn 32%, Kennedy 20%, Hart 8% (Carter 47 delegates, Glenn 38 delegates, Kennedy 13 delegates, Hart 0 delegates)
Georgia, March 11: Carter 66%, Glenn 19%, Kennedy 11%, Hart 4% (Carter 58 delegates, Glenn 5 delegates, Kennedy 0 delegates, Hart 0 delegates)
Oklahoma, March 11: Glenn 44%, Carter 37%, Hart 10%, Kennedy 9% (Glenn 23 delegates, Carter 19 delegates, Hart 0 delegates, Kennedy 0 delegates)
Washington State, March 11: Kennedy 40%, Glenn 28%, Hart 24%, Carter 8% (Kennedy 28 delegates, Glenn 17 delegates, Hart 14 delegates, Carter 0 delegates)

Gary Hart drops out after Washington State and does not endorse a candidate, but appears to favor Glenn over Kennedy and Carter.

Wyoming, March 15: Glenn 47%, Carter 34%, Kennedy 19% (Glenn 7 delegates, Carter 4 delegates, Kennedy 1 delegate)
Puerto Rico, March 16: Kennedy 61%, Glenn 24%, Carter 15% (Kennedy 33 delegates, Glenn 6 delegates, Carter 1 delegate)
Illinois, March 18: Glenn 49%, Kennedy 30%, Carter 21% (Glenn 94 delegates, Kennedy 58 delegates, Carter 29 delegates)
Virginia, March 23: Glenn 38%, Carter 35%, Kennedy 27% (Glenn 25 delegates, Carter 23 delegates, Kennedy 16 delegates)
Connecticut, March 25: Kennedy 55%, Glenn 27%, Carter 18% (Kennedy 36 delegates, Glenn 12 delegates, Carter 6 delegates)
New York, March 25: Kennedy 54%, Glenn 30%, Carter 16% (Kennedy 178 delegates, Glenn 97 delegates, Carter 10 delegates)

At the end of March, the 1980 Democratic primary stands as follows:

Ted Kennedy: 531 delegates
John Glenn: 377 delegates
Jimmy Carter: 240 delegates
Gary Hart: 17 delegates (dropped out)

250px-President_Ronald_Reagan_addresses_the_nation_from_the_Oval_Office_on_tax_reduction_legis...jpg

RECESSION HURTS REAGAN IN POLLS

March 17, 1980

President Reagan cannot shake his Democratic rivals in the upcoming election, due to a serious recession under his watch. Unemployment has risen to 8.5 percent, while Reagan's efforts to curb inflation through Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan have not taken fruit yet; inflation remains at eight percent. As a result, the President is extremely vulnerable in the most recent Washington Post poll. He trails Senator John Glenn of Ohio, 49 percent to 46 percent, and is tied with Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts at 47 percent. The Reagan White House remained defiant. "Despite the economic difficulties, the President is on course for reelection," Donald Regan, the President's chief of staff, told the Post. "There is a hidden vote that the pollsters are not picking up that supports the President, primarily in the Midwestern and Southern states. We have not detected a loss of support that will damage President Reagan in the states he needs to win reelection." Among the President's staff, it is believed that Kennedy is the most preferable opponent in the general election. "We can turn an election against Kennedy into a contest where the economy is not the number one issue. Senator Kennedy's personal life will become the number one issue," John Sears, the President's campaign manager said. "Senator Kennedy is unelectable because he has a lot of skeletons in his closet." Sears also believes that the President can defeat John Glenn, despite him trailing in the polls at present to the former astronaut. "John Glenn is a tough opponent, but he has no charisma. He is a dull speaker and that will give us a couple of points in a matchup against him. We also believe that Glenn's campaigning like a moderate Republican, and the electorate will vote for a real Republican." When the prospect of facing Jimmy Carter, the former governor of Georgia, was raised, Sears was laughing. "The peanut farmer? We'll never lose to a peanut farmer," Sears said.

140725174315-nichelle-nichols-wrath-of-khan-live-video.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

NICHELLE NICHOLS DISHES ON DALLAS, NASA AND STAR TREK

March 26, 1980

Nichelle Nichols is constantly in motion. Whether she's involved with the popular Star Trek franchise, on Broadway, working for NASA, or on her latest venture with Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy on Dallas, Nichols is pretty much a constant presence in the American consciousness. We caught up with Nichols on the Southfork Ranch set and at her home in Houston, near the Johnson Space Center, for this exclusive interview.

People: This is one of the interviews we've been looking forward to the most.
Nichols: Well I'm glad to talk to People Magazine.
People: From Star Trek to Broadway to NASA to Dallas. What a career you've had.
Nichols: It's been an amazing ride. I always believe that whenever a door opens for you, you have to take it. That's the way I live my life, and doors always lead to opportunities.
People: How was it playing Bobby Ewing's lawyer?
Nichols: Patrick Duffy is pretty young, but he's terrific to work with. He's one of the nicest people I've met in all my years working on television and the movies. He kind of looks up to me a little bit. Larry Hagman is also a pretty wonderful guy.
People: So he's not the mean, evil J.R. like he is on television?
Nichols: Exactly the opposite! He's extremely charming and he has virtually no ego as the star of a major television hit. I've worked around stars with huge egos, and Larry is very accommodating to everyone he's around.
People: Your character had some very dramatic run-ins with J.R. Ewing.
Nichols: Yes she did. In fact, when I slapped J.R. in the face, that was one of the top moments of the season, according to the fans. My character is called Grace Nichols on Dallas because that was my birth name.
People: We never knew that.
Nichols: Yes, I'm actually Grace by birth, but I changed my name to Nichelle. I think Nichelle Nichols flows a lot better than Grace Nichols.
People: How did the producers of Dallas become interested in bringing you onto the show?
Nichols: They saw Star Trek and wanted one of the main characters to play a recurring role. Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy weren't interested. Shatner was working on Battlestar Galactica and Nimoy didn't want to be in a soap opera. DeForest Kelley was, and he'll be a guest star for a few episodes next season. I was living in Houston part of the time, working for NASA, so it was easier for me to film a series in Texas than it was in California, where most shows are produced.
People: So Grace Nichols, lawyer extraordinaire, was born.
Nichols: She got Bobby Ewing part of the ranch, too.
People: What do you think of Star Trek's direction?
Nichols: I know George and Walter are part of a new miniseries, and we're going back to Los Angeles to film our second movie later this year. I hope the next film is not as violent as our first movie was. I'd like a more thoughtful story.
People: Are you going to make a guest appearance on the new Star Trek miniseries?
Nichols: If they ask me back, of course! How could I not!
People: We've heard the Star Trek miniseries cast is the most diverse in television history.
Nichols: I've been in contact with Alfre Woodard because she wanted some advice on playing a Star Trek character. She's going to play my old role, but on the Reliant. Star Trek breaks barriers. I'm proud of Paul Winfield, because he's going to be the first black lead on a science fiction series. That's a major accomplishment. I'm also happy for George and Walter, because they get to be stars instead of minor characters when they and I were overshadowed a bit by Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley.
People: We're also hearing that another one of your co-stars, Tom Selleck, is working on a new series, called Magnum P.I., in Hawaii.
Nichols: He's invited the entire Star Trek cast back for an episode, as well. I don't know how George and Walter are going to fit it into their schedules, but they'll try. I guess a two or three day vacation in Hawaii is appealing for everyone, and I think it will happen. Some time in Hawaii is appealing to everyone.
People: No doubt. We can't wait to interview you again. That's a wrap.
Nichols: Anytime you want to talk to me, I'll answer the telephone.

16234464-0-image-a-18_1563502880801.jpg

CARTER RAISES CONCERNS ABOUT KENNEDY'S HISTORY

March 28, 1980

Former Georgia governor and current presidential candidate Jimmy Carter is struggling in the race for the 1980 Democratic nomination. He's decided to take off the gloves. Carter mentioned presidential frontrunner Edward Kennedy's travails in 1969, where he was involved in an automobile accident in Massachusetts that killed the other passenger in the vehicle, Mary Jo Kopechne. "I'm concerned that Kennedy being nominated will cause the election to be about Chappaquiddick and not about the awful economy, which should sink President Reagan," Carter said. "Kennedy is a decent man, but he has too much baggage. President Reagan is going to repeat that word, Chappaquiddick, every single day, until it becomes the most important issue to voters. Kennedy can't win if that happens." After Kennedy's win in New York, he has a significant delegate lead over second place John Glenn and Carter. When asked about his viability in the race, Carter was defiant. "I'll still win the rest of the Southern states and improve my standing outside the South. I still have a shot at this nomination." April's primary schedule includes Louisiana and South Carolina, where Carter is expected to win, and Missouri, where Carter has a good chance. "If I win Louisiana, South Carolina, Missouri, and have strong showings in Michigan and Pennsylvania, I'm still alive to win this nomination," Carter said.

Last edited: