Status
Not open for further replies.
They're going to rebrand the show...as The Powerpuff Girls.
That's what I was referring to actually.

However unlike in our universe this is a separate studio and not just Craig McCraken pitching it directly to his employer.

I say that since it's unusual for the time since most studios relied on in house creative talent during the 90s and really still do today.

They're going to rebrand the show...as The Powerpuff Girls.
Or they could NOT do that and keep it as an adult cartoon. Just saying.

Early Adult Swim or maybe Fox needs something to fill their line up?
Is Simpsons still on btw?

Or maybe Nickelodeon is interested to create their own adult cartoon programming after seeing the success of The Bunyans and the Simpsons?

Early Adult Swim or maybe Fox needs something to fill their line up?
Is Simpsons still on btw?

Or maybe Nickelodeon is interested to create their own adult cartoon programming after seeing the success of The Bunyans and the Simpsons?
Or maybe they could sell the idea to MTV. that's a good place for adult Animation.

I say that since it's unusual for the time since most studios relied on in house creative talent during the 90s and really still do today.
It is a bit unusual but that could be one of the reasons why Cartoon TV take them up as part of a new line of modern cartoons along with their older offerings (they have Hanna-Barbera, right?). I also saw the pilot and someone mentioned MTV in the comments, so that's another option.

Perhaps, but I do like PPG as the name, purely for the irony of a cutesy name used for a adult oriented cartoon (if not then The Whoopass Girls is might be their next go to).

Or maybe they could sell the idea to MTV. that's a good place for adult Animation.
MTV is probably the only channel that will take their pitch if they don’t want to remove the adult humor without putting it in some nighttime block like Nick at Nite.

Honestly, I'm hoping Cartoon City picks it up since Nickelodeon already has Nicktoons and Disney has their own original animation going on (perhaps Paperinik makes a future appearance?).
With Lisa at Fox it may go to them first. Having seen Who loads Stew I still hope someone makes it more like The Powerpuff Girls, I loved it as a kid and would hate to lose it.

It is a bit unusual but that could be one of the reasons why Cartoon TV take them up as part of a new line of modern cartoons along with their older offerings (they have Hanna-Barbera, right?). I also saw the pilot and someone mentioned MTV in the comments, so that's another option.
If Turner still brings in Fred Seibert to become president of Hanna-Barbera ala OTL after the closure of Fred/Alan the same year, perhaps a TTL version of What A Cartoon! could be developed that doesn't just involve in-house H-B shorts, but shorts from other independent studios too (thus beginning the legacy of Frederator and their short cartoon "incubators"). Would be a way for creators such as Danny Antonucci to get involved too, assuming creators like him still establish their own animation companies.

However, given how Columbia handled recent sensitive affairs, that might dissuade Whoopass Studios from working with them. And with the point nick_ raised, Fox seems like a viable option, especially since they do have the Fox Family Channel, which was noted to be a competitor to Cartoon TV. That very same growing competition could also be used as a pressure point on Columbia though, in order to maintain creative control over their show, and be allowed to take creative chances, ala the entrepreneurial spirit at Columbia that's heldover from Turner himself; after all, being a smaller competitor in the scene, you gotta take some risks to get eyes on ya (as a certain superhero with a talk show will likely prove), Columbia execs have to recognize that, especially to shift eyes away from certain sensitive topics.

Last edited:
With Lisa at Fox it may go to them first. Having seen Who loads Stew I still hope someone makes it more like The Powerpuff Girls, I loved it as a kid and would hate to lose it.
I definitely prefer PPG over the original Whoopass Stew pilot (which is definitely unfair but having the girls have such little personality aside from ass kicking and being angry really sucked tbh) even if that is quite unlikely.

I'm actually interested in seeing it go to Fox now that I think about it (it is likely because Lisa is there to advocate for Heather and her friends/co-workers). Plus it could cause the story to develop in a similar way to PPG OTL to satisfy the family-friendly content of the Fox Family channel while keeping the "girl power" themes intact.

It's fascinating how much PPG could change if it gets a slot in a channel like Fox Family or MTV, to be honest.

I would like to point out that while the first order view many people have of the first Bush administration is that of a continuence of the Reagan administrations, on economic policy this was not the case. While Bush-41 may not have done a 180 from Reagan on budgetary policy, a strong case can be made that he at least did a 120, and got in trouble for raising taxes in the 1990 budget, after his "Read my lips, no new taxes" pledge in 1988.

Great to be here for this new chapter. :)
By the way, I found this image of Seth Green doing an (almost) Spider-Man pose.
sethgreenoz.jpg

Thanks, all for the warm welcome to Book II. I'm glad it caught everyone's attention. Hopefully I can keep the momentum and fun of Book I going forward. I will also need to accelerate the pace a bit as this continues!

Can we assume Tiana is canon now?
Assume nothing. I found that image on the web and it was too perfect, to be honest, so don't read too much into it.

In general, and to everybody, make no assumptions about anything going forward. Butterflies are growing, both within Disney and without. I have a Meta post coming up to cover things more in depth in this regard, but in general the 1990s will see far more changes than the 1980s did pop-culture wise simply due to accumulating change adding up. This will include the Disney Animated Canon and other parts of your childhoods. Like happened with Shrek, different circumstances will drive different productions, even when based on the same source material. Some things will be strikingly familiar, others drastically different. Stay tuned.

Some of you will undoubtedly be disappointed to see precious childhood memories now...different. That's unavoidable without just going full-parallel, in which case what's the point of an Alternate History? But hopefully what you get will be interesting or even fun in a different way.

A great start to Book Two, really gives that feeling that both generations of Hensons are going to be meeting new challenges in the decade. Lisa at Fox in particular has me interested, I would be curious to see how that goes!

Small point that I forget whether or not you have already covered, but did Robert Maxwell's scandal go the way it did in our timeline? I ask only because the talk of Fox brought me to Richard Murdock and this decade in particular feels like, in OTL at least, where that big consolidation of power that he carries out begins to really affect the landscape of the business world. Maxwell was the most prominent figure in opposition to him if I recall, certainly he was the most famous (Even if only in Britain). Just a thought!
I hadn't put any thought into Maxwell. I'll bug @El Pip and see his thoughts on him.

I do have a question about this:

How will they distribute this?

Are they just going from network to network hoping that someone will take the pitch?
Stay tuned. Whoopass Studios, and Whoopass Stew (PPG?), will be covered in a future post where all of those questions will be addressed and more.

Lisa Henson at Fox will be covered as well.

Will the sisters work together on something? Stay tuned.

where will Samantha Smith‘s career go.? She’ll earn quite a bit from fees for attending Star Trek conventions. I can also see her playing a role in a successful sitcom like Scarlett Pomers did after Star Trek VOY. @Geekhis Khan
Excellent beginning to the second book of Kermick the Frouse.

So, to clarify, Henson Associates as a Disney subsidiary has The Muppets, Bean Bunny, Waggle Rock, The Dark Crystal, The Land Before Time, and more. Meanwhile, Henson Arts Holdings owns the rights to Bob Ross's likeness and frequently produces content for Sesame Street. Do I have this correct on the ownership qualities?

Since Renzetti, Tartakovsky, and McCracken are making their own studio, what would the following creators be up to ITTL?
-Van Partible
-David Feiss
-John R. Dilworth
-Danny Antonucci
-Mo Willems
-Maxwell Atoms
-Mr. Warburton
-Dave Wasson
-Greg Miller
-The creators of Mike, Lu, & Og and Megas XLR.
-Bill Burnett
-Butch Hartman
-Seth MacFarlane

Finally, on the subject of Jane Henson's current positions, could Filmation be rebranded under the new name of "Fox Filmation", given the circumstances of that studio ITTL?
Most of those names will appear in future posts going forward. In the case of all the animators, the shows they make may not be the same, though, so be warned.

Right now it's:
Filmation
A Fox Studios Company

More on it and Lisa in a future post, but effectively Filmation's president answers to her and the Fox board, and she in turn answers to the Triad Chairman/CEO and board.

Paramount, 20th Century, and Fox are effectively co-equal, but the old 20th Century-Fox bond means that the two studios work very closely. Meanwhile, PFN pulls Fox and Paramount together on the TV front.

I would like to point out that while the first order view many people have of the first Bush administration is that of a continuence of the Reagan administrations, on economic policy this was not the case. While Bush-41 may not have done a 180 from Reagan on budgetary policy, a strong case can be made that he at least did a 120, and got in trouble for raising taxes in the 1990 budget, after his "Read my lips, no new taxes" pledge in 1988.
Yes, he was his own president, and hindsight has been kinder to him than contemporary politics ever was. Ironically, IIRC he was the one to coin the term "Voodoo Economics" to begin with. Still, it was hard for him to escape Reagan's shadow in the late 1980s making him ironically hated by both those on the left who hated Reagan and by those on the right who felt he was failing to live up to his predecessor (e.g. the tax raise). Gore seemed to have a similar thing happen vis-à-vis Clinton. I guess that it's unavoidable when you have such a looming predecessor.

I have a Meta post coming up to cover things more in depth in this regard, but in general the 1990s will see far more changes than the 1980s did pop-culture wise simply due to accumulating change adding up. This will include the Disney Animated Canon and other parts of your childhoods. Like happened with Shrek, different circumstances will drive different productions, even when based on the same source material. Some things will be strikingly familiar, others drastically different. Stay tuned.
That's what I'm here for!
I want to see the good, the bad and the weird!
And I'm obviously there to help if needed.

Stay tuned. Whoopass Studios, and Whoopass Stew (PPG?), will be covered in a future post where all of those questions will be addressed and more.
I wonder what Gendy has cooking?

It's going to be a woozy.

Gore seemed to have a similar thing happen vis-à-vis Clinton. I guess that it's unavoidable when you have such a looming predecessor.
Well not a problem in this TL.

Can't wait to hear about that too!

Well as we begin part 2, let's talk about the show, Mad About You, but with a better name to boot. There's also the epic The Last of the Mohicans, set for fall 1992.

Indy's Adventures in your Living Room
Indy Comes to Television Pt. I: The Young Indy Saga (1992-1994)
From The TV Obsessive, by Hanmii Dahri-Mote, a regular column in TV Guide and other publications

In the year 1992 George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lisa Henson brought Indiana Jones to television for the first time. It would not be the last. Intended as an educational show, the series brought together a host of great creative artists, actors, writers, and directors to bring the world the Indiana Jones who existed before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

250px-YIJopenlogo.JPG

It all began when George Lucas found himself constantly being asked about what Indy’s life was like growing up. This originally manifested as the River Phoenix flashback set piece at the beginning of The Judgement of Anubis, but soon Lucas was interested in using the power of the Indiana Jones brand for “good” as an educational showpiece. Not only would he show more of “Young Indy’s” life, he’d use the opportunity to showcase history from 1905 to 1930. This was the era of the Children’s Television Act of 1989 which on one hand mandated more “socially and educationally redeeming” television for youth, but which also included a ratings system that was allowing creative artists to push the limits of television more than before.

2888.jpg

River Phoenix as Young Indiana Jones (Image source The Guardian)

The show began life as a partnership between Lucasfilm, Amblin, and Paramount Television, though producer Lisa Henson soon also took advantage of some contacts in the Department of Education through her mother at the Children’s Television Workshop, gaining over $2 million in federal dollars and, ultimately, partnerships with US School systems, much as had been done in the past with PBS programs like Voyage of the Mimi[1]. It was the first private-public venture of its kind. The Department would produce and distribute educational tie-in resources and lesson plans that would cover the actual historical events that Young Indy just experienced, giving educators a chance to teach the real history (along with art, music, culture, dance, literature, and other ancillary subjects that would come up in an episode) which the show (supposedly) would get the kids excited about. Similarly, a share of the revenues would go back into the Department earmarked for poor and underperforming schools.

This partnership led almost immediately to a class action lawsuit filed by parents’ groups and competing studios. The former objected to the partnership on principle, upset to see tax dollars spent on making a TV show with for-profit businesses or seeing it as backdoor advertisements for the franchise. And many disliked the fact that some episodes were rated PG and had some adult subject matter. The competing studios, meanwhile, saw it as the government unfairly backing one private company over the others. The lawsuits eventually got thrown out due to the precedent of Voyage of the Mimi, the fact that the actual partners were the George Lucas Edutopia Foundation and Fox4Kids Charities (rather than Lucasfilm and Fox Studios) in an ostensibly non-profit production, and the Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander himself stating emphatically that just because Triad got there “first” didn’t mean that other studios wouldn’t get their fair opportunities. This comment, of course, led to a string of such public-private partnerships, bringing us such memorable productions throughout the 1990s as Warner Brothers’ Super Science with the Justice League on ABC, Columbia’s Civil War Remembered on CBS (which gained notoriety for occasionally dabbling in Lost Cause tropes), and Disney’s Math Madness with Mickey and the Muppets on NBC, among others.

The production duties were soon handed off to Lucasfilm’s Rick McCallum after Lisa Henson took over as Chair and President of Fox Studios, the first woman to assume the role and only the third woman to head a major studio. Lisa continued to be involved in the production as the Studio Head, which gave her a bully pulpit that let her interject her own thoughts and ideas. Thankfully, she had a good working relationship with both Spielberg and Lucas and knew how to work around each of their quirks. In fact, they say that she, like Spielberg and Coppola, is one of the few people in existence who can tell George Lucas “No” and have him listen.

And there was a lot for them to discuss! Two big questions hung over the production: 1) how do you tell the story while passing along the educational information and 2) how many, if any, supernatural events do you include? On the later part, George Lucas’s answer (along with the Department of Education’s answer) was a resounding “no”. He envisioned this as “the true story of the real Indiana Jones that the fictional stories are based upon.” But Spielberg and Henson both pushed back. What’s the point of an Indiana Jones adventure without some fantastical experiences? The first question, how to tell the story, would offer the solution to the impasse.

The tales would be told through a framing device where Indy himself, now in his 90s, would relate the stories of his past as part of a lesson to his grandson “Henry the 4th”, also known as “Dawg”, played by Joaquin Phoenix. Dawg is 16 and having trouble at school. He’s brilliant, but restless and running with bad crowds. He can’t really relate to his father Henry the 3rd (Dennis Quaid) or his mother Anne (Carrie Fisher), who are, in ironic polar opposite to Dawg’s grandparents Indy and Marion, very square and grounded people (Henry the 3rd is an architect and Anne a freelance editor). Dawg is also harassed by his precocious younger sister Marion (Summer Phoenix), who is the “good daughter”, a straight-A student, and very popular with her peers. Dawg, on the other hand, is more like Indy himself, a restless non-conformist, but one who lacks an outlet for his restless energy in the “settled” 1990s.

Thus, his “eccentric” grandfather Indiana is the only one who can reach him.

To play the critical role of Old Indy, Henson pressed for someone with “attitude and gravitas”, ultimately recommending classic film actor Jack Palance. Palance, who looked dashing and just a little mischievous in the fedora and eye patch, relished the role, deliberately taking up some of Ford’s mannerisms, like pointing and leaning in when he talked. Unlike Ford, however, Palance had a laid back, smug, satisfied, “seen it all, done it all” attitude, an “old cowboy who’s finally content to stay back on the ranch,” whatever restless energy and dissatisfaction that drove him in his youth satisfied by a life fully lived.

Old_Indiana_Jones_by_George_Hall.jpg
569-3.jpg

Old Indy from our timeline vs. Jack Palance from City Slickers (Image sources Wikipedia and "fiveforhowling.com")

Inspired, it is said, by Peter Falk and Fred Savage in The Princess Bride, Palance and Joaquin Phoenix would start and end each sub-episode, add in occasional voiceover for the flashback narratives, and appear in occasional breaks from the action, typically at commercial breaks. The interruptions back into the framing story into the modern day frequently came after Indy told about some fantastical element or supernatural encounter, to which Dawg would essentially call his grandpa out on it, typically adding some exposition on what “really” happened based on established history (“mummies are just old dead bodies, grandpa, they can’t walk around and curse people!” “I know what I saw, kid.”). This allowed the production team to add the occasional fantastical element in keeping with the films, but still ground it in reality and maintain the “true historical” aspect for the primary educational purpose.

Henry_%27Indiana%27_Jones%2C_Jr_%28Corey_Carrier%29.png
1640089332517.png
1640089436646.png

Corey Carrier as Young Indy, Lloyd Owen as younger Henry Jones, Sr., and Ruth de Sosa as Anna Jones (Image source Wikipedia and indianajones.fandom.com)

The stories, meanwhile, all flashbacks “told” by Old Indy, typically followed one of two versions of Young Indy. The first was Child Indy played by Corey Carrier, and the second was Teen Indy, played once again by River Phoenix. Phoenix, it is said, took the job “for the paycheck”, liking but not relishing the role, and using the good pay to free him to do the small, independent films and special “for the art” projects and charity work that he loved. Usually, these sub-episodes were paired in a kid/teen twin-episode following a central theme or lesson, each tied to the ultimate life’s lesson that Old Indy had for Dawg, adding PSA points for “socially redeeming value” on top of the historical and arts education. Kid Indy tagged along with his father Henry Sr. (Lloyd Owen) and mother Anna (Ruth de Sosa), going on adventures through Europe, Africa, Asia, and other parts of the world. Teen Indy would go on adventures of his own, having run away from home as a teen, with many of these adventures taking place in the trenches of the Western Front or African theater in World War I (famously punching a young Corporal Hitler in the face in one scene). But Teen Indy also had adventures in Mexico with Pancho Villa, frolics with the Lost Generation poets and artists in Paris, or other jaunts with famous historical figures. Each episode would introduce a new historical figure or two.

Several historical figures were seen, like Pancho Villa, Albert Schweitzer, Mata Hari, Manfred Von Richthofen, Louis Armstrong, Ernest Hemmingway, Walt Disney[2], Franz Kafka, and Fritz Lang. Many episodes had a guest director or guest writer, including Sam Raimi (“The Secret of the Blues”), Terry Jones (“Barcelona Blunders”), Terry Gilliam (“The Process in Prague”), Akira Kurosawa (“Samurai Secrets” costarring Toshiro Mifune and George Takei), Frank Oz (“Down and Out in the Dustbowl” costarring Steve Martin), Tim Burton (“The Dutch Angle” about Fritz Lang and the making of Metropolis), Eddie Murphy (“Old Jim Crow”, starring Murphy himself[3]), and even Star Wars sound legend Ben Burtt (“Attack of the Hawkmen”). People like Terrys Jones and Gilliam, Tim Burton, Jerry Juhl, Frank Darabont, Lawrence Kasdan, and even Carrie Fisher contributed stories and teleplays. It became a “thing” among Hollywood writers and directors to write or direct an episode.

The Young Indiana Jones Saga officially lasted for three “seasons” and a handful of made-for-TV features in the following couple of years, though the term “season” is a misnomer since in reality the episodes largely debuted as occasional “events” and Sunday Night Movies rather than as a weekly series. With high production costs due to the star power and location shoots (offset by the use of 16 mm film, which makes modern day High-Definition remastering impossible) it was always a marginal production and labor of love which helped to boost PFN’s ratings during critical sweeps periods and gained tax incentives via the charitable/educational connections, but it was never going to be a cash cow. Indiana Jones merch reportedly saw only a modest bump in sales.

Millions of American school kids in the early 1990s, along with many others in other nations who made their own educational partnerships, may remember the worksheets with River’s face on them or the many “lesson plans” tied to each episode. You might recall learning about the Lost Generation through Young Indy hanging with Ernest Hemmingway, Gertrude Stein, and James Joyce. Or you may recall learning about Egyptology with Kid Indy or the horror of the Belgian Congo with Indy and Al Schweitzer.

And how much of it stuck? Did we really learn anything, or was it all, as many have accused, a back-door commercial for Indiana Jones merch? Well, I can say that I remember things I might not have known otherwise. I’m sure my Podunk public school would never have taught me who the Hapsburgs were, none the less who Princess Sophie of Hohenberg was. Sure, it wasn’t AP History, but it did give many of us an interest in history, art, or literature that we might otherwise not have had (I can all but guarantee I’d never have read Gertrude Stein without this show).

Either way, The Young Indiana Jones Saga holds a special place in TV history as a multipart “edutainment” show, the first big public-private television educational collaboration, a reflection of the changes that the 1989 Children’s Television Act were bringing, and a milestone event in the memories of many school kids who suddenly got to play Indiana Jones in the classroom and not get sent to detention. It led directly to similar public-private edutainment opportunities.

And it eventually led to my next article about the second time that Indiana Jones came to television!

See you then!

[1] Featuring a child actor from Boston named Ben Affleck!

[2] Appears briefly as an ambulance driver alongside Hemmingway. Disney’s Grandson Chris Miller plays him.

[3] Murphy’s character and Indy need to team up to prevent a lynching. It’s a pretty brutal PG-rated episode that did not try to hide the racism and had some warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.