Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the double post, but I found this scene after remembering it from my childhood. Would TTL’s Young Indy series still feature these frankly intense scenes?

In the year 1992 George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lisa Henson brought Indiana Jones to television for the first time. It would not be the last.
Oh that's just devilish to throw in there!
Can't wait to hear about that!

. It was the first private-public venture of its kind. The Department would produce and distribute educational tie-in resources and lesson plans that would cover the actual historical events that Young Indy just experienced, giving educators a chance to teach the real history (along with art, music, culture, dance, literature, and other ancillary subjects that would come up in an episode) which the show (supposedly) would get the kids excited about. Similarly, a share of the revenues would go back into the Department earmarked for poor and underperforming schools.
Lovely idea.
The Schools get money and the kids can watch Indy.

This comment, of course, led to a string of such public-private partnerships, bringing us such memorable productions throughout the 1990s as Warner Brothers’ Super Science with the Justice League on ABC, Columbia’s Civil War Remembered on CBS (which gained notoriety for occasionally dabbling in Lost Cause tropes), and Disney’s Math Madness with Mickey and the Muppets on NBC, among others
Know that's what I call a line up!

I know there won't be a separate post for those so I just want to ask if those wear animated or life action?

The tales would be told through a framing device where Indy himself, now in his 90s, would relate the stories of his past as part of a lesson to his grandson “Henry the 4th”, also known as “Dawg”, played by Joaquin Phoenix. Dawg is 16 and having trouble at school. He’s brilliant, but restless and running with bad crowds. He can’t really relate to his father Henry the 3rd (Dennis Quaid) or his mother Anne (Carrie Fisher), who are, in ironic polar opposite to Dawg’s grandparents Indy and Marion, very square and grounded people (Henry the 3rd is an architect and Anne a freelance editor). Dawg is also harassed by his precocious younger sister Marion (Summer Phoenix), who is the “good daughter”, a straight-A student, and very popular with her peers. Dawg, on the other hand, is more like Indy himself, a restless non-conformist, but one who lacks an outlet for his restless energy in the “settled” 1990s.

Thus, his “eccentric” grandfather Indiana is the only one who can reach him.
I can already see this shows formula:
- Dawg has a problem at school or at home
- His square parents can't reach him so he goes to his grandpa Indy
-Indy tells him a story from his youth
- Dawg uses the lesson learned to solve his problem
-Rinse and repeat

I honestly prefer this setup to what we got in our Timeline. It makes way more sense for Indy to tell stories to his grandson than to him just wandering through New York City and then reminiscing about his youth because of something he saw.

Also very ironic that not only are Indy's son and daughter in law both relatively "normal", but that one of them is portrayed by Carrie Fisher.

I wonder if they snuck in a set photo of Harrison Ford and her in Star Wars as background set dressing 😂
Speaking of Harrison Ford, I hope they got him to cameo for an episode or two. Maybe in a tale about a slightly older Indy.

Also the whole Phoenix family seems to be involved here. Only River is missing!

Inspired, it is said, by Peter Falk and Fred Savage in The Princess Bride, Palance and Joaquin Phoenix would start and end each sub-episode, add in occasional voiceover for the flashback narratives, and appear in occasional breaks from the action, typically at commercial breaks. The interruptions back into the framing story into the modern day frequently came after Indy told about some fantastical element or supernatural encounter, to which Dawg would essentially call his grandpa out on it, typically adding some exposition on what “really” happened based on established history (“mummies are just old dead bodies, grandpa, they can’t walk around and curse people!” “I know what I saw, kid.”). This allowed the production team to add the occasional fantastical element in keeping with the films, but still ground it in reality and maintain the “true historical” aspect for the primary educational purpose.
The "tall tale" aspect of the storytelling gives them the creative freedom to get away with weird stuff and seemingly implausible scenarios.

It also explains all the weird inaccuracies of the movies too.

The stories, meanwhile, all flashbacks “told” by Old Indy, typically followed one of two versions of Young Indy. The first was Child Indy played by Corey Carrier, and the second was Teen Indy, played once again by River Phoenix.
Strike that River's back!

Which also makes it even more ironic whose playing his grandson!

Usually, these sub-episodes were paired in a kid/teen twin-episode following a central theme or lesson, each tied to the ultimate life’s lesson that Old Indy had for Dawg, adding PSA points for “socially redeeming value” on top of the historical and arts education. Kid Indy tagged along with his father Henry Sr. (Lloyd Owen) and mother Anna (Ruth de Sosa), going on adventures through Europe, Africa, Asia, and other parts of the world. Teen Indy would go on adventures of his own, having run away from home as a teen, with many of these adventures taking place in the trenches of the Western Front or African theater in World War I (famously punching a young Corporal Hitler in the face in one scene).
Genius idea to combine the kid Indy and teen Indy segments into one, twitching them around every episode only lead to people getting annoyed by the kid segments in OTL.

I'm glad that Indy still met Hitler since he didn't do that in this Timeline.

Also I can imagine Dawg just rolling his eyes when he hears that!

"Sure Grandpa, you punched the future leader of the Nazis in the face. Did you get his autograph too?"🙄

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

The Young Indiana Jones Saga- some serious 'star' power there.

I really like how this show sets off a string of public-private partnerships, kids educational shows are certainly more interesting ITTL than OTL!

"Warner Brothers’ Super Science with the Justice League on ABC" - that does sounds like fun! Live Action Superheroes or animation?

Having Joaquin Phoenix and River Phoenix in this would certainly add to the 'family resemblance' for the Indy lineage.

Jack Palance as Old Indy? Works for me.

"(famously punching a young Corporal Hitler in the face in one scene)." - and the audiences cheered!

"Eddie Murphy (“Old Jim Crow") - I bet that one never played on stations in certain parts of the USA.

"Star Wars sound legend Ben Burtt (“Attack of the Hawkmen”)" - I do hope this has The BRAIN BLESSED in.

I am now wondering what that 2nd Indy series is!

Nice chapter @Geekhis Khan

Super Science with the Justice League on ABC
I had a sorta similar idea for a Fantastic Four science edu-tainment show! I didn't have much beyond the obvious "The FF talk about various science topics every week". Possibly with the Richards kids as like the in-fiction targets for the lessons, standing in for the kids actually watching the show.

Honestly I'm surprised Marvel/Disney haven't done something like that in real life yet.

I would like to say that the Indiana Jones edutainment show is a brilliant move towards the Carmen Sandiego way of teaching.

However, as far as what was produced in its wake, would Disney's Math Madness Starring Mickey and the Muppets get reruns on Disney Channel? I want to see if I can place that show in my guest post.

I wonder if there will also be a Harrison Ford guest starring episode in ITTL Young Indiana Jones similar to what happened in OTL in that one episode.

I wonder if there will also be a Harrison Ford guest starring episode in ITTL Young Indiana Jones similar to what happened in OTL in that one episode.
I sure would like it if that episode was a passing of the torch episode implying that Indiana Jones is not a name but a title

I honestly prefer this setup to what we got in our Timeline. It makes way more sense for Indy to tell stories to his grandson than to him just wandering through New York City and then reminiscing about his youth because of something he saw.
When I finally watched The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles it was on DVD from the library and as such I can't relate.
Genius idea to combine the kid Indy and teen Indy segments into one, twitching them around every episode only lead to people getting annoyed by the kid segments in OTL.
When I saw them on DVD the had put them in chronological starting with kid Indy and progressing to teen Indy so again I can't relate if the episodes original switched between the two in the original run.
"Warner Brothers’ Super Science with the Justice League on ABC" - that does sounds like fun! Live Action Superheroes or animation?
A live action version might work better for this than what we got OTL:

"Star Wars sound legend Ben Burtt (“Attack of the Hawkmen”)" - I do hope this has The BRAIN BLESSED in.
If the plot is the same I'm not sure how:
I sure would like it if that episode was a passing of the torch episode implying that Indiana Jones is not a name but a title
Passing the torch to who?

When I finally watched The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles it was on DVD from the library and as such I can't relate.

When I saw them on DVD the had put them in chronological starting with kid Indy and progressing to teen Indy so again I can't relate if the episodes original switched between the two in the original run.

A live action version might work better for this than what we got OTL:

If the plot is the same I'm not sure how:

Passing the torch to who?
To the young Indy

Considering when Dennis Quaid is born it's possible for him to have an older brother which means we can not only still have Mutt Jones but with Chris Pratt as Mutt:
dec7oj4-1be19fae-81d7-4262-970b-62b6bcb8713a.jpg

I think that Super Science should be animated if its further discussed. Will allow for more exciting stuff to show up that live-action CG and puppets could.
Perhaps characters like Batman, Cyborg, and Flash would be the most prominent out of the lineup as the most science-oriented out of the JL, as well as another science hero I'm not aware of (Mister Terrific? Only one who comes to mind off the top of my head). Wonder Woman may be a bit problematic for a science as she's magic and explicitly child of a god, however; maybe that part will be downplayed or she won't appear here?

All this talk about edutainment cartoons makes me wonder what will come of other classics of the era, like Magic School Bus and Bill Nye. Given the latter is Disney IOTL, it stands reason to bring it up.

This version of Young Indy sounds fun. It's the sort of thing a nerdy kid like me would love (I liked the history in the OTL version as well.)

(Wait, hang on, let me do the maths...) Sorry, the sort of thing a nerdy young adult who still watches stuff aimed at kids would love.

I love that Henry Jones IV is nicknamed "Dawg"; an allohistorical reference to both the origin of Indy's nickname OTL (which I don't think happened in Judgement of Anubis?) and Mutt from OTL Crystal Skull.

Status
Not open for further replies.