Status
Not open for further replies.
We are getting out right philosophical today aren't we?!

Seems like RDJ way to early death sparked both Bob Forrester and Jim Henson to turn their life around. It's easy to see how Bob will change his life, so I wonder what he has planned for Jim.

Will he take a sabbatical or will he pick up a new hobby? Hard to tell.

Well, this is certainly surprising and I imagine Jim’s decision will influence some of the others, even some of the corporate bigwigs.

RDJ's death hits really hard, like really hard. It took me by surprise, but hey at least we got one down for the death quota, right? /j
death.jpg

In all seriousness, I am not surprised that Jim Henson has trouble trying to grieve his death. Having someone that was recovering and living a happier life, only for them to simply disappear for no reason, it's gotta take a toll on Jim's psyche, especially after he had saved so many of his friends and colleagues. Bob Forrest is not helping Jim by dismissing his death so flippantly, though he has a point where he shouldn't drown himself in sadness simply because life is unfair. It is better to live happily for them, after all.

After several weeks of thinking about things, he called up Forrest. “Bob, you’re right. I need to live my life. Any advice on how to do it?”

“Brother,” Forrest replied, “you’ve already done the hard part: admitting that you have a problem. Carve a slot out of your big, important executive schedule and meet me on Catalina this Saturday. We’re going to start living, no chemicals other than coffee required.”
I want to know what happens so badly.

Heck, turn this into a movie. Seems like a really good premise for one.

This isn't the first time I've come across Optimistic Nihilism, although I think Kurzgesagt explained it better.
Outer Wilds says hello.
“I tell you what, this has been really fun. And I got to help make something pretty cool, so I’ve got no complaints. I mean, not me, exactly, but close enough. It’s the kind of thing that makes you glad you stopped and smelled the pine trees along the way, you know?”
- Gabbro

Robert Downy Jr. Killed in Auto Crash
The Los Angeles Times, June 14th, 1998

LA – Oscar nominated Superman actor Robert Downey Jr. was killed yesterday on the I-5 near the I-10 merge and downtown LA, the result of a traffic accident. Downey, who was sober according to toxicology reports, was deemed not at fault for the collision, which was blamed on a driver using their cellular phone. He was 33.

81xglXOaRxL._AC_SX679_.jpg

(Image source Amazon)

Downey, whose career had taken a major setback following arrests for substance possession and abuse, had been two years sober and by all accounts was turning his life around. “This is a truly tragic and utterly pointless death,” said friend and director Ron Howard. “The world has been robbed of a great man and a fantastic actor with so much ahead of him. He will be missed.” Downey’s current film, the drama Sober, has been put into indefinite pause while Warner Brothers reassesses production.

Downey, the son of a Hollywood actor and filmmaker, rose to fame in the 1980s playing a variety of “teen comedy” roles before moving into dramatic roles, culminating in an Oscar nominated performance as Charlie Chaplin in the 1992 biopic. He went on to fame playing Superman, starting in Man of Steel, where he… Cont’d on A2.

Chapter 18: Chairman of the Board (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Jim Henson: Storyteller, an authorized biography by Jay O’Brian

On a Thursday night in February of 1998, Jim was alerted to a message by his personal assistant Javier. The LAPD had called. Bob Forrest was in recovery at Cedars Sinai, and under police custody. He’d been picked up off of the street, in the midst of a severe overdose, and in possession of heroin and drug paraphernalia. Jim was listed as his “Emergency Contact”.

Jim went to see him the next morning, finding him recovered for the most part, but still handcuffed to the bed rail. He was smiling, but his skin was pale and sunken and his voice shaky. He was reading a People Magazine with actor Robert Downey Jr. on the cover. “Hey, Jim,” Bob said. “Just reading about RDJ here.”

“I never thought of you as a People person,” Jim joked.

Forrest laughed, a croaking wheeze. “Yea, not my first choice, but RDJ’s really speakin’ to me. ‘Live life, don’t run from it.’ You know, I can’t even remember much of the last six months.”

Jim didn’t know what to say. Forrest was relaxed and smiling, but he looked like one of the zombies from Kindred Spirits who’d lost the Angel Inside.

hqdefault.jpg

Bob Forrest c1998 (Image source YouTube)

Jim ultimately bailed out Forrest and hired a driver to take him to his court-mandated rehab. He didn’t expect much. How many times had Forrest been through rehab? Nurse Maria, who worked for John, considered him a lost cause. “I’ve seen folks that deep all my life. He ain’t the quitting type, no. Pray for recovery, but mostly pray for his soul because he’ll be seeing Jesus real soon.”

Jim was quite morose for the next few weeks, burying himself in his work as a distraction (in particular putting the finishing touches on the Studio Ghibli collaboration for What Dreams May Come), and spending far too much time alone in his “Hotel California” manor. One of those nights he took the time to read the People article. Yes, he could see why it was speaking to Forrest. It spoke to him too. The constant specter of mortality had always hung over him, and the ticking clock of time ever mocked him. But Downey had managed to push all of that aside and live in the moment, or was at least making of good show of doing so.

When Jim saw Forrest upon his return from rehab, he was shocked. Forrest was looking fairly healthy (he’d gained weight) and actually happy. And more than that, he looked relieved, like a weight was lifted from his shoulders. He’s always been distracted when Jim met him, anxious and impatient as if he had somewhere else more important to be (i.e. on a nod). But this felt different.

The whole ride back to Hotel California, Bob spoke nearly non-stop, a mix of excitement, promise, second chances, and melancholy for the “days I lost”. He spoke more than once about Downey. “You know, it really takes a junkie to reach a junkie. No offense, Jim, but you ain’t had to carry the monkey, so you can’t really speak to it, right?”

Jim asked Bob if he’d like to meet Downey.

“Well, fuck yea! We crossed paths back in the day, on the set of Less than Zero and all, but I never really got to know him.”

Jim called in some favors and set up a get-together, meeting Downey at a private beach club. Jim had briefly met Downey on the set of Less than Zero as well, but he mostly sat back and let the two recovering addicts talk, even excusing himself on occasion to let them talk in private. The two found kindred spirits in one another. Bob even got a job doing the score and soundtrack for Sober. The two soon became close and Jim felt glad to have arranged the introduction.

A couple of months later Robert Downey Jr. was killed in a car accident. Downey was clean and sober and driving responsibly. The accident was caused by an inattentive driver focusing on his phone. The sheer pointlessness of the death hit Jim like a punch to the gut. The man had overcome or at least tamed his demons, and a single, stupid jerk worrying more about his damned phone call than his driving killed him in an instant. The other driver survived and was facing manslaughter charges, but even this small “justice” felt hollow. Just another life destroyed for no point.

Jim also immediately feared for Bob Forrest. Downey was his, for lack of better words, idol and mentor and lifeline. Jim called up Bob and rushed to see him, half expecting him to already be on a nod or at least considering it. To Jim’s pleasant surprise, Bob was sober and actually in good spirits, if a bit melancholy, composing a song for Downey’s funeral.

“Yea, that’s life, Jim,” Bob told him. “Random as fuck. If there was a greater order or justice in life, I’d be dead in a ditch for my sins and Robert would be starring in his movie. Life is a meaningless abyss where the only point to life is living it. And I’m cool with that. No point to life but what you make for yourself.”

“But doesn’t it seem unfair?”

“Well, duh,” Bob laughed. “Life ain’t fair, and it’s unfair of us to expect it to be fair. What does the sun care about fairness? It ain’t shining for the trees’ sake and it don’t care that it’s giving the beach bunnies cancer. Rob’s dead. Ain’t no point. Just happens. Rob’s death don’t mean shit, it’s his life that matters, brother! What, I’m supposed to shoot a bunch of Turkish tar into my neck ‘cause he’s dead? Betray everything that he taught me ‘cause I’m fucking sad? Fuck that, I’m living ‘cause he can’t!

“Like Rob said, it’s not when you die that matters, brother, it’s how you’re living, right?” Bob concluded.

Forrest later discovered that Downey had left him a substantial amount of money in his will with the stipulation that he spend it on helping addicts. Bob didn’t hesitate and, underwritten by Henson Arts Holdings for business and administrative matters, founded Addict 2 Addict Advocacy with Flea and John Frusciante from the former Red Hot Chili Peppers and Dead Kennedys drummer D.H. Peligro. The advocacy and recovery assistance charity was dedicated to confidentially helping addicts without judgement or condescension and became one of the premier and most successful addiction treatment and advocacy organizations on the west coast.

But the event also had a profound impact on Jim. Mortality and the tyranny of time had always hung over him. Part of what drove him was the need to “beat the clock” and pack in all of his ideas within his most certainly limited time on the planet. He’d felt profoundly each and every early death, from Slovak to the Coreys to Anthony Kiedis and most lately Downey. It had always seemed like an act of theft by the universe, good people stolen too early. But at the same time, he was watching as Downey’s and Kiedis’ tragic losses were paying forward, saving lives one addict at a time.

Jim refused to believe in Bob’s “happy nihilism” philosophy and chose to believe that there was a greater order to the universe. He chose to believe that people had control over their fate. He loved the ideas in What Dreams May Come for “writing your own afterlife.”

But one thing that Downey and Forrest said kept resonating with him: “living life, not running from it.” He hadn’t exactly run from life, but he was sure as sunrise running through life. He’d been in such a hurry to pack it all in, even as each new idea spawned three more. He wouldn’t consider himself a math whiz, but he knew that his ideas were growing far faster than he had any hope of completing them. The chances of him accomplishing everything, even if he could live forever, were mathematically impossible for as long as his creativity inevitably spawned more creativity.

After several weeks of thinking about things, he called up Forrest. “Bob, you’re right. I need to live my life. Any advice on how to do it?”

“Brother,” Forrest replied, “you’ve already done the hard part: admitting that you have a problem. Carve a slot out of your big, important executive schedule and meet me on Catalina this Saturday. We’re going to start living, no chemicals other than coffee required.”
Yikes, didn't see this coming. Never let it be said that this thread is predictable.

You know, it just hit me: the people ITTL are going to be insufferable about the "Superman Curse" because of this. There will probably be actual public backlash if anyone wants to make another Superman movie in the future.

You know, it just hit me: the people ITTL are going to be insufferable about the "Superman Curse" because of this. There will probably be actual public backlash if anyone wants to make another Superman movie in the future.
Yup the Superman Curse is gonna be strong and probably mentioned in some show on the paranormal.

We are getting out right philosophical today aren't we?!
Some days, yes. In fact many to most of my posts have a bigger point or purpose than "This Movie Happened". They're either exploring some aspect of humanity or setting up something else or both.

Y'know when I said "this TL spared too many people"?

I take it all back now.
Not easy, is it? I mean, I could kill off Jeffrey Epstein and have everyone cheering, but that's just schadenfreude. Or kill off some C-lister and everyone would be "oh, that's sad," and move on. And as I mentioned earlier, no life saved or taken by me is done flippantly. In this case, themes of "paying it forward" have expanded into the post-mortem, as they did with Antony Keidis.

Also, it's a reminder that sometimes shit just happens. RDJ did nothing to "deserve" this. I could have had him relapse and crash while intoxicated, but deliberately didn't. US Highways are deadly. Nearly 43,000 died on US highways in 2021 alone. That's almost as many Americans as were killed in the Vietnam War (47,000+). RDJ isn't the only life ended here too, as the person whose negligence killed him will be going to prison for involuntary manslaughter and see their career and relationships destroyed.

Seems like RDJ way to early death sparked both Bob Forrester and Jim Henson to turn their life around. It's easy to see how Bob will change his life, so I wonder what he has planned for Jim.

Will he take a sabbatical or will he pick up a new hobby? Hard to tell.
Well, this is certainly surprising and I imagine Jim’s decision will influence some of the others, even some of the corporate bigwigs.
Stay tuned, of course.

Bob Forrest is not helping Jim by dismissing his death so flippantly, though he has a point where he shouldn't drown himself in sadness simply because life is unfair. It is better to live happily for them, after all.
Bob's not being flippant, he's taking RDJ's lessons to heart here. He's very sad to lose a friend, but more determined than ever to keep his legacy alive through him.

This isn't the first time I've come across Optimistic Nihilism
Bob Forrest is a lifelong atheist and was an angry nihilist while dealing with his drug and depression issues iOTL. Since then iOTL he's shifted into more hopeful nihilism and become an addiction councilor.

This was always my favorite take on the philosophy:
nihilism.png

Question is, how far into production is the movie?
Stay tuned on that.

Yep, really great point.

Want me to help in that aspect?
Go for it. Top ten bad movie dubs. Give me the post, you fairy godmother!

Build your own Afterlife
Chapter 19: What Dreams Come True
A Guest Post for the Riding with the Mouse Net-log by Animator Jeff Pidgeon

Sometimes dreams do come true. In my case it was a chance to live my dream of working with Studio Ghibli, which I always wanted to do despite the stress of the workplace, just to make something beautiful and meaningful.

And for the record, I’m Jeff Pidgeon, an animator for 3D, and Terrell asked me to talk about my time working on 1998’s What Dreams May Come for WED Signature.

220px-Whatdreamsposter.jpeg

This, but animated!

WED-sig was struggling a bit at the time. It wasn’t making very big margins and often running at a loss, being mostly a prestige label. But some people were calling it a waste of resources. That’s not true, since it actually limited losses by keeping us animators gainfully employed and helped sharpen our skills, but sunk costs from overhead with idle employees were not immediately visible on a PowerPoint slide, so some just saw cost vs. Box Office and assumed that was the whole story.

They also missed the boost to morale. You have no idea how proud you are as an animator to have your name attached to a magnificent work of art. Gary Trousdale is proud of Hunchback even if it didn’t win an Oscar or make a big profit.

Studio Ghibli, by contrast, was doing very well. Their share of the proceeds from The Bamboo Princess had helped them expand and even allowed Studio Ai to spin off. Miyazaki-san was working on Princess of the Wood and supporting an adaption of Aoi Hiiragi’s manga Whisper of the Heart and developing an adaption of LeGuin’s Earthsea trilogy when I first arrived in Japan[1]. Miyazaki-san, despite his taskmaster reputation, was very glad to see me and work with me on What Dreams May Come, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

So anyway, my dream to work on such a masterpiece came true in ’95. I’d just finished animating on Finding Nemo when producer Bonnie Arnold approached me and a few other animators for What Dreams May Come, which would be another Studio Ghibli collaboration with some second-unit animation by Studio Ai. It all began back in ‘93 when someone handed Jim [Henson] a copy of the Richard Matheson novel.

220px-RichardMatheson_WhatDreamsMayCome.jpg

Well, Jim had it in his travel bag for a while, but hadn’t touched it. He was on a flight to Japan to meet with Hayao Miyazaki and trying to get some work done on the flight, but hitting a wall. So he opened up the book figuring he’d read a bit to clear his mind and then get back to work. And he read, and kept reading, enthralled by the deep cosmology of the story. When he finished, he started it again, underlining certain parts in blue ink. He read it obsessively for the remainder of his free time on the trip, even finding a translated copy for Miyazaki san, who soon became hooked himself. They knew that this needed to be made into a feature and agreed to make it the next Disney/Ghibli collaboration.

Jim then met with Richard, and found that they had a lot in common spiritually, both being raised as Christian Scientists who got into new age spirituality back in the Age of Aquarius. And Richard’s cosmology is a true blending of many spiritual beliefs, both western and eastern. There are elements of Abrahamic faiths, Buddhism, Hinduism, Zen, Taoism, and the like, in a mélange of New Age ideas on self-empowerment.

Jim hired Bonnie specifically for this piece, who was at first suggesting a live action film with effects, but then Bonnie saw The Bamboo Princess and agreed that it needed to be animated. She discovered that Interscope Communications had the film rights and approached them, setting up the deal. Then she recruited me to work on the storyboards with Miyazaki san.

A dream come true indeed!

laU6tP5sWdwT4wWfEYSuidrjZSxOVLxJElLHh7g08UU.jpg

(Image source Suji_Rodah on Reddit)

The name, of course, comes from Shakespeare’s Hamlet.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.

We read through Jim’s dog-eared, annotated paperback several times, seeing all kinds of places for breathtaking visuals. It became as much a labor of love for us as it did for Jim. We even spoke with Jim’s son John, who’d become a sort of expert on all things religion.

The story is, for those who haven’t seen it, about life after death, and follows a sort of semi-New-Agey “create your own Heaven or Hell” cosmology, where screenwriter Chris Nielsen is killed in a car crash and ends up in a heaven of his own creation, part of a heavenly realm called Summerland. Alas, his beloved wife and true Soul Mate Ann is left heartbroken without him, and her art is soon affecting his Summerland realm, which takes on an impressionist art form, a literal world of paint shaped by her art while living that he shares. He tries, against the advice of a spectral figure trying to convince him to move on, to contact her, which only makes things worse for her, leaving her unable to move on.

And when she commits suicide, she ends up in a Hell of her own creation, and he sets out with his otherworldly guide, who turns out to be his long-dead brother Robert, to rescue her from Hell, an impossible task.

And if this reminds you of act 3 of a certain Dragon-based Disney Animated feature, well, that’s no accident, as Andreas was assisting us with some story and liked the “Hell can’t keep us apart” angle.

It was a story of life and death, hope and despair, and love and loss. Themes of love and mortality, pain, healing, and recovery. It delved into deep emotional topics like depression and suicide and ended up with a T rating thanks to the heavy subjects and dark imagery, which evoked both Bosch and Ito at times. But in the end, it was a hopeful narrative, one built upon hope and love and healing, and many people have told me how important this film was for them in dealing with their own sense of loss and fear of death. Jim Henson was one of them.

EfZuG6KWAAgp2LO.jpg

(Image source Twitter)

The story was based in large part on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, naturally. It’s a tale of love and mortality, and a beautiful story.

But much of it was about the art, and how we translated these beautifully described visuals into storyboards and then animated cels. We relied heavily on the DATA tech and the DIS stations. We worked with the artists to develop breathtaking visuals of heaven and hell from lofty cities in the sky to the horrifying purgatory of screaming heads trapped in the endless sands to the Monet-esque world of Chris’s Summerland, the latter of which Miyazaki-san took great delight in as a fan of impressionist art.

KdCH55p0732QqmYu94txJSMvYcP-gtibGCjKWj90mjj5DFB8uYsT5h-MvnEBshtp_7ThLhxbuSG0Uu22fSAP72M6IblDfsqptipc97t370Uyl0F3cYKuSCriS9nf6JeXCq1bdbP5.png

(Image source Sartle)

What emerged was a true labor of love for all involved. Even Miyakzaki-san’s notorious gruffness was muted as he smiled in childlike delight with each visual and each frame. And we all worked hard to make it happen, knowing that this was Something Special.

It took on a strange meta-resonance for us all as we crafted our own Heaven just like Chris, and our own Hell like Ann. Each frame, be it beautiful or horrific, we worked to ensure was a work of art in itself.

cap012.jpg

(Image source Specific Romantic)

For the English dub, we got Tom Hanks to voice Chris, Brad Garrett to voice Robert, and then, despite her young age, Jude Barsi insisted on playing Ann, managing to speak with a level of maturity that surprised many given her young age. “Ann totally resonated with me,” she told me.

And when we debuted at Cannes, we actually got honorable notice and were in contention for the Palm d’Or, a rarity for an animated feature. We’d eventually be nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 1999, with strong competition from Beauty and the Beast and Heart of Ice.

But needless to say, despite excellent reviews the arthouse release only made a few million, far below our rather high production budget given the level of detail that we put into it. Which of course didn’t help the case for WED-Sig.

But in the end, What Dreams May Come achieved something better than any award or box office achievement: it achieved transcendence and immortality, living on forever as one of the greatest works of animation in human history.

And that’s a dream come true.

[1] Princess of the Woods is more or less Princess Mononoke (based on drawings that Miyazaki had made in the late 1970s), Whisper of the Heart is pretty much per our timeline save that there are slight differences to the original manga due to butterflies and differences in the art and music in the anime. Stay tuned on Earthsea.

Last edited:
By the way, did Reeve's accident happen ITTL? I know someone brought it up in the guest contribution thread, but did Geekhis ever confirm?

"The channel will focus on sports other than the mainstream ones, such as soccer, women’s sports, and non-US sports, to include the World Cup. " - soccer not a mainstream sport? Piffle!

"CEFTA, has expanded to include the former Soviet Bloc states of Romania and Bulgaria and the three former USSR breakaway Baltic Republics" - should be interesting to see where this going in the future.

"Many of these rising Oligarchs have begun investing in the west." - I wonder whom from the west have started investing in the USR? It cannot all be one way.

"Three people, including the alleged shooter, are dead following gunfire at the entry gate to Disneyland." - well that will change Disney security procedures I suspect. I expect Jim and the board will be paying for the injured hospital treatments as well as the funerals for the dead?

"New York State Attorney General Kathy Burstein (D-NY) was shot and killed today in an apparent assassination." - I think that Lone Wolf is going down for a lot of years. Wonder what sort of media circus his trial will be?

"The truck, which carried an estimated 3000 to 5000 pounds of explosives," - that is going to be one huge explosion.

"US Customs and Border Patrol Agents in cooperation with Mexican Federal Police" - nice example of cooperation there.

“Now, am I talking about Ahmed from Al Qaida or Sammy from the Sword of Liberty? Taliban, or Tali-baptist?” - such a strong question.

"In short, we need to stop brushing aside the problem and go after the root causes.” - its a fair call Jeb, but how far are you willing to go to deal with said causes?

Hopefully the SOL issue and the need for agricultural reform is nothing else will lead to positive change in America.

Interesting news round up @Geekhis Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.