Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

I really don't get why people keep pushing for Chamberlain as president. Without Gettysburg and his actions there he won't be a big name and even OTL he wasn't that big a hero nationally by wars end.

Do we go for Chamberlain the myth or Chamberlain the man?

Of course by this I mean that Chamberlain has been built up a lot by Shaara The Author and also by Gettysburg the movie where its his POV and his story really being told. And this puts a lot of emphasis on him being the man in the moment who had all the glory, and lead the charge down the hill whereas he does have his detractors who say that it was Ellis Spear who in fact led the charge down the hill, or that it was some of his soldiers just randomly charging and he just too advantage of it and then led the whole regiment down the hill and saved the day.

Then again, Chamberlain did learn everything on the field and from books, and damn if he was perceptive enough to put it all into practice. And he was damn successful at it.

I mean, you did have did have draft-dodger Grover Cleveland get elected President in the aftermath of Civil War, in the midst of Civil War generals and soldiers being in high positions politically. So its still possible that Chamberlain could have some military success' without Gettysburg-level events or charges and still end up being politically important. .

Of course by this I mean that Chamberlain has been built up a lot by Shaara The Author and also by Gettysburg the movie where its his POV and his story really being told.

I would tend to say more that he was "re-built" up. He had no small measure of fame and respect after the war - enough to get elected as governor four times (by record amounts), until he decided not to run any more. Had he decided to obtain a Senate seat (to replace either Morrill or Fessenden), it is hard to see how he could have failed to do so. That would, at least, have set him up as an attractive running mate for Hayes or Garfield, if he wanted to pursue it.

After his death, Chamberlain's fame faded, until Shaara took him up as a protagonist.

Price's raid was mostly cavalry bolstered by blood-thirsty partisans. Recruited to the call of "Come boys! Who wants to kill some Yankees?", these partisans had been sowing terror and devastation throughout Mississippi and Tennessee for many months. Their targets were not simply military anymore. Believing their very existence to be threatened by their foe, they engaged in a bloody campaign of destruction that murdered not only Union soldiers, but routinely razed the farms of Unionists or other people who didn't show, in their estimation, enough resistance to the Yankees. Their common modus operandi was to enter a city, murder all Union soldiers or militia, and then gather the people. Anybody who didn't pledge loyalty to the Confederacy and hate of the Union would be murdered in cold blood with spikes, so as to save ammunition. Lies were not a guarantee of safety, for the rebels oftentimes returned to punish those who had broken their pledges to resist the Union at all costs. Sometimes, the raiders would show the Confederate conscription law and kidnap youths to serve with them - anybody that refused, of course, "had his heart pierced like the abolitionist dog he was".

Negroes suffered the most, for they were presumed to be Unionist by default. Even those who had remained enslaved were sometimes whipped as a reminder; those who had acquired their freedom were enslaved again and punished severely, or simply massacred - "ain't no use for a nigger who likes freedom", the raiders would declare. During the course of the campaign, some of the contraband camps Eaton had established were burned to the ground, all of the freedmen massacred. One soldier would later testify to an appalling scene of carnage, where one such camp was attacked: The militia protecting the camp was driven in pursuit of these marauders, but then suddenly a much larger group appeared and gave no quarter. The men who surrendered had their throats slit. They then entered the camp and engaged in their vilest instincts, ravishing several Black women and even girls, burning alive or cutting the tongues or extremities of many contrabands, and then fleeing with at least twenty captives when a Union force finally approached.

This kind of thing is going to make the average Unionist believe that this is no longer a Civil War between brothers, or dealing with a Rebellion… but rather about Barbarism against Civilization.

“I don’t know about you, but I am not going to stand still while those savages keep coming at us. To burn down our towns, butchering like animals anyone they don’t like, raping our women and little children! I’m going to enlist and I’m going to keep killing the bastards. Until they stop trying to make slaves out of all of us!”

The problem with this: activating Crusade Mode. “The only good Confederate is a dead one! Just kill all the bastards and let God sort them out!” A more idealist take on the Reconstruction will be difficult if this somehow becomes Warhammer 1861.

Such atrocities also makes it hard to go "those were just soldiers doing their duty" - there might be more confederate officers hanged after this war for not preventing such crimes.

I wonder what Mark Twain is up to. IOTL he spent two weeks in a Confederate unit in 1861, then left it and went West. It'd be difficult for the war to not affect him should he have chosen to stay East.

On the other hand, Confederate partisans being so brutal towards civilians nominal on their side might start stoking popular discontent in the Confederacy. Make people start doubting this is a war for the good of all southern whites.

On the other hand, Confederate partisans being so brutal towards civilians nominal on their side might start stoking popular discontent in the Confederacy. Make people start doubting this is a war for the good of all southern whites.
You mean even more brutal than they were in the OTL? Because the twenty negro exception to the CSA's conscription law and the tax in kind law provoked regions that were considered pro-union like NE Mississippi and their SE counterparts of Jones County, Mississippi. East Tennessee and West North Carolina were also known for their Union sympathies so if the Rebel partisans were to go even harder than they did OTL, I'd imagine they would be dealing with a lot more discontented draftees deciding to choose family over 'country'.

So the south are going to get away with enslaving free blacks and mass murdering unionists? From those new details about purging added. Surely that will push the north to be more stern with them.

Last edited:
Depending on how successful slaves are at staging mass breakouts and leaving Southern-held plantations empty, the Confederacy might move to try using PoWs as forced labour. I'm sure the system of prisoner exchanges has broken down already with blacks being used as soldiers more quickly and the South and North thus coming to an impasse on whether they be counted as PoWs, and with the South hitting its high watermark its prison population has to be swelling. It goes without saying that the infrastructure and workforce needed to implement forced labour is already there, from labourer lodging to crews of overseers. That is sure to lead to the North becoming even more horrified with the South: Even if orders from the top come with stipulations that white PoWs are not slaves and should not be treated exactly as such, overseers across the South are used to resorting to the whip when they get the slightest bit of dissent - they're a crowd where excessive brutality can get normalised extremely quickly. It certainly would be an experience that could turn Union troops who were before hand on-the-fence about the whole abolishing slavery issue into men who would gladly pay taxes just to make sure Uncle Sam can keep his boot firmly on the neck of white Dixie.

He did not IOTL because it was not the priority. But if Stanton is given a strong role, he could have minimized corruption, given how he tackled corruption in the War Department and improved its efficiency. He was essentially among the most competent administrators and central planners in the Lincoln government.

Civil Service Reform would be a strong priority once the war ends.

I agree that Lincoln probably did not tackle the issue because he was worried with the war, and the idea of Stanton as Lincoln's successor's tutor is interesting. Limiting corruption is essential for the survival of Reconstruction both North and South in increasing support for Southern governments and limiting the power of the more moderate Republicans.

There were, but then, it's clear such people did not know Sam Grant.

Now, the fears had more substance with Hooker and McClellan.

I once asked here whether a McClellan coup was realistic. Most seemed to agree that it was not within Mac's character. I did not consider making an actual coup, but McClellan engaging in more insubordination after the Emancipation Proclamation. I ultimately settled for the Peninsula Disaster.

I wonder, is it possible that with Emancipation in effect in Louisiana, a substantial amount of the now-free blacks will join the Union army, strengthening it and giving the union a greater ability to punch northwards out of Lousiana than OTL? Their knowledge of local terrain would also help. (I don't know much about this theater, but it strikes me as odd how in OTL the Union army in New Orleans seemed to mostly sit on its heels after the initial capture, until Vicksburg was taken from the north by Grant. I wonder what more could be done with an army sitting in the CSA's underbelly.)

That's a great possibility. Another thing is that New Orleans has a big population of free people of color who are educated and involved in politics even before the antebellum. Greater rebel resistance is bound to make the Union turn to them for support - which most likely means earlier Black suffrage.

With Chamberlain being from Maine, Colfax will not be his running mate, I would consider New York to also be Northeast. Perhaps Stanton would be a good vice president. Well the vice presidents in this century had about as much clout normally as a 4th grade class vice-president :), he could be in charge of some sort of task force to work on ending corruption and pushing for civil service reform. I wasn't sure where he was from but I see and his Wikipedia article he was born in Ohio, so he would be in an excellent position to both balance the ticket with what at that time was a very important state and also lend more credibility to Chamberlain's campaign because he would have been in the federal government longer and be a direct connection to the Lincoln Administration.

Chamberlain's cameo in the Battle of Bull Run is a way of maintaining my options open. The question of who will succeed Lincoln is an important one, and right now the candidates are Grant, Chamberlain, Garfield and the next commander of the Army of the Susquehanna. Of course that depends on future events as well.

While Mexico might succeed in taking some Texas borderlands, pretty much *any* stable government controlling Texas that isn't *just* Texas will be capable of kicking Mexico back across the border or worse (and that includes a Confederacy that actually has a working cease-fire with the Union).

For the record, I don't think Mexico getting involved in the war is realistic, and if I considered not doing the French invasion is because I feel for poor Mexico and would like to spare it some of its bad luck. You know, so far from God, so close to the United States.

@Red_Galiray since this war will be much more bloodier and since otl it was mentioned in thread majoirty of white men died in south and since it will be much higher than otl, will we se confredate in later part of war forced to have slave regiments, conrspcirintg women, or an influx of forgien volunters or somehting

also in regrad to butterflies it your story so do what you want, I am fine with large butterflies as long as they are logical and aren't just justifted through chaos theroy
edit: i was wrong it was 1-4 still pretty bad though

Breckenridge was actually in favor of slave conscription OTL, and he's definitely no friend of the planter aristocracy. As things get more desperate, I could see him backing the conscription of slaves in exchange for freedom, which would be a breaking point with other Confederates. Basically, Breckenridge thinks slavery is worthless without independence; his opponents think that independence is worthless without slavery. This is one of the salient points of opposition that will have consequences later.

I can't see the South ever conscripting women, and there are not many foreigners who would come to the Confederacy at the time, nor money to pay mercenaries.

Out topic, but I love Adam's cooking videos.

Think there are real limits to how much the war can change demographics, where a bloodier war will have a real impact is killing off more slaver officers. Ex-CSA officers played a huge role in post-War politics and at this point in history officers still had very high casualty rates. Doesn't take too much to bleed the officer corps enough to leave more of a vacuum in post-War southern politics.

I agree that probably the better way of harming the CSA cause is by killing the Southern leadership. These guys were the ones who engineered the downfall of Reconstruction and then the birth of Jim Crow.

But there is another danger here that I am not sure many commenters here are taking cognizance of (but which I hope @Red_Galiray will carefully consider): a harder war will likely not only wreak havoc with the planter class population, but also with a lot of the slave population, too. Slaves were already facing a more marginal existence when it came to access to necessities, and Union Army officers were very often not inclined to remedy it, and not just because they naturally had a higher priority for the supply of their own men. (Note that the mortality rate for black soldiers was about 40% higher than that for white troops as it was.)

It's truly a balancing act, which is another of the reasons why I don't want to go full on extermination war.

My question is for all *this* TL things are up a notch or too in a less "friendly" civil war, the question is can we get the Union and Confederate Armies to the level of inhumanity of the WWII Eastern Front?

can we get brutally hot summers that equivalent to the Russians winters?

Besides the points already exposed about how White Union and Confederate soldiers don't see each other as inhumans to extermine, Grant's quote of "who is to furnish the snow for this winter retreat?" comes to mind.

There's also the simple fact that neither Lincoln nor Breckenridge are bloodthirsty monsters. Lincoln was a man of great compassion, and though Breckenridge is already condemned by his support for White Supremacy and slavery, he was not the worst Confederate out there. He dabbed on anti-slavery in his early days and refused to prosecute a free Black man for a crime he knew he was innocent of (Breckenridge refused to actually defend him too). After the war, Breckenridge apparently befriended a Black man and supported him when he decided to marry a White woman. And during the war itself, he expressed horror at the massacre of Black soldiers and tried to have one perpetrator prosecuted to no avail. Both can be pushed to more radical measures (burn cities, hang partisans without trial, imprison civilians, etc), but I just can't see either engaging in WWII kind of horrors. And, of course, I think Generals like Grant would rather mutiny than go South and massacre civilians.

That said, I am only talking about the main armies, not guerillas. The guerillas were increasingly independent, ungovernable and violent, very nearly waging their own war, as the ACW progresed. For example, Bloody Bill Anderson engaged in ambush, rape, espionage, arson, infighting, scalping, beheading, torture, theft, ethnic vendetta, and even outright massacre.

Most of the violence is going to come from the guerrillas indeed. It's just that the scope and size of the guerrillas, and the measures to be taken against them, are different from OTL. All contributing to greater bloodshed without ever reaching the horrors of WWII, which are in a whole other level.

I mean, you did have did have draft-dodger Grover Cleveland get elected President in the aftermath of Civil War, in the midst of Civil War generals and soldiers being in high positions politically. So its still possible that Chamberlain could have some military success' without Gettysburg-level events or charges and still end up being politically important. .

It's entirely possible, and that's why I want to leave the possibility open. Side note, but I thought about including a cameo of Grover Cleveland somewhere, but couldn't think of a good reason. I also was going to include Booth as a Maryland Confederate fallen in the Battle of Baltimore but decided against it to use him in the future (don't worry, Lincoln will live).

The problem with this: activating Crusade Mode. “The only good Confederate is a dead one! Just kill all the bastards and let God sort them out!” A more idealist take on the Reconstruction will be difficult if this somehow becomes Warhammer 1861.

I'm not going to make this into a war of extermination if that's your concern. Most violence will be contained within the guerrilla war rather than between both professional armies. Lincoln surely would not allow any commander in the field to simply massacre captured officers. The Union will not yield the moral high ground. But, as @Drunkrobot pointed out, it's necessary to show the North that this isn't innocent but brave Dixie boys fighting for a tragic but still good cause, but an entire population willingly conspiring to commit inhuman acts.

Such atrocities also makes it hard to go "those were just soldiers doing their duty" - there might be more confederate officers hanged after this war for not preventing such crimes.

Exactly.

I wonder what Mark Twain is up to. IOTL he spent two weeks in a Confederate unit in 1861, then left it and went West. It'd be difficult for the war to not affect him should he have chosen to stay East.

Let's just assume he flees West too. It would be a bleak timeline without his wit.

Much popular support has already been drained due to conscription and martial law, which is ruthlessly enforced. Many Confederates are as committed to White Supremacy and Slavery, but they put their families first. Believing that defeat means destruction, and "us vs them" mentality has formed whereby if you don't 100% support the Confederacy then you're an Unionist dog who wants to massacre White people, and are attacked accordingly. This is obviously bad for the Confederates.

So the south are going to get away with enslaving free blacks and mass murdering unionists? From those new details about purging added. Surely that will push the north to be more stern with them.

Lincoln OTL threatened to shot one Confederate prisoner for every soldier murdered, and sent one Confederate to forced labor for every Black person enslaved. He ultimately decided against it because it would be a bloody tick for tack, but maybe he actually goes through it.

Depending on how successful slaves are at staging mass breakouts and leaving Southern-held plantations empty, the Confederacy might move to try using PoWs as forced labour. I'm sure the system of prisoner exchanges has broken down already with blacks being used as soldiers more quickly and the South and North thus coming to an impasse on whether they be counted as PoWs, and with the South hitting its high watermark its prison population has to be swelling. It goes without saying that the infrastructure and workforce needed to implement forced labour is already there, from labourer lodging to crews of overseers. That is sure to lead to the North becoming even more horrified with the South: Even if orders from the top come with stipulations that white PoWs are not slaves and should not be treated exactly as such, overseers across the South are used to resorting to the whip when they get the slightest bit of dissent - they're a crowd where excessive brutality can get normalised extremely quickly. It certainly would be an experience that could turn Union troops who were before hand on-the-fence about the whole abolishing slavery issue into men who would gladly pay taxes just to make sure Uncle Sam can keep his boot firmly on the neck of white Dixie.

If OTL the issue of how Northern prisoners were treated was already contentious, something like this would raise a hell of a storm.

@Red_Galiray did you already do the rewrite?

Or did you just add some details?

I rewrote it in part. Most it's the same. Aside from those two paragraphs showing the brutality of the guerrillas, the battle of Iuka has been changed and Thomas has now captured both Knoxville and Chattanooga. It's nothing to radical, but the bigger victory at East Tennessee should keep the Union going, while Iuka is now possible, whilst before it was geographically impossible.

Last edited:
I had posted that we know it's not Meade coming after Hooker - Meade was born in Spain so couldn't be President. My hope is Reynolds. But, Meade could have been a US citizen anyway if both his parents were, as it appears is possi ble.

Garfield would only be 3 years younger than Chamberlain, though that's pretty young - more reason to use Stanton, though, as VP. There's also the question of who would succeed him (thought Chamberlain would work there.)

Last edited:
Meade was born in Spain so couldn't be President. My hope is Reynolds. But, Meade could have been a US citizen anyway if both his parents were, as it appears is possi ble.

Both of his parents were American citizens, so Meade certainly was eligible to run for president.

Of course, he had the political instincts and ability to make enemies of a Tasmanian Devil, so that seems pretty unlikely unless someone makes him SecWar and everyone ahead him in succession gets killed by a meteor, or a deck gun explosion.

It's truly a balancing act, which is another of the reasons why I don't want to go full on extermination war.

I get that.

Still, if even more of the South ends up getting directly overrun by Union forces, plain old starvation and all its attendant diseases could rear its ugly head. I'm still surprised more civilians, of either race, didn't die in the winter of 1864-65.

Breckenridge was actually in favor of slave conscription OTL, and he's definitely no friend of the planter aristocracy. As things get more desperate, I could see him backing the conscription of slaves in exchange for freedom, which would be a breaking point with other Confederates. Basically, Breckenridge thinks slavery is worthless without independence; his opponents think that independence is worthless without slavery. This is one of the salient points of opposition that will have consequences later.

I can't see the South ever conscripting women, and there are not many foreigners who would come to the Confederacy at the time, nor money to pay mercenaries.

...There's also the simple fact that neither Lincoln nor Breckenridge are bloodthirsty monsters. Lincoln was a man of great compassion, and though Breckenridge is already condemned by his support for White Supremacy and slavery, he was not the worst Confederate out there. He dabbed on anti-slavery in his early days and refused to prosecute a free Black man for a crime he knew he was innocent of (Breckenridge refused to actually defend him too). After the war, Breckenridge apparently befriended a Black man and supported him when he decided to marry a White woman. And during the war itself, he expressed horror at the massacre of Black soldiers and tried to have one perpetrator prosecuted to no avail. Both can be pushed to more radical measures (burn cities, hang partisans without trial, imprison civilians, etc), but I just can't see either engaging in WWII kind of horrors. And, of course, I think Generals like Grant would rather mutiny than go South and massacre civilians.

And as for conscripting women: The Confederates are more likely to build a temple to Baal on Shockoe Hill than to even entertain the idea. No matter how desperate things get.

Breckinridge really is one of the war's most interesting figures, and it is interesting to see him taking an even more central role here. And even if you trim back William Davis's near hagiographies (see Breckinridge: Statesman, Soldier, Symbol and An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government) you still find a man who was in many ways an unlikely and fairly reluctant Confederate leader: his popularity was such that even as a very moderate Henry Clay disciple he was selected to bear Deep South's banner for the presidential race in 1860. In fact, his record on slavery even before the was....more interesting than you might think:

breckinridge excerpt slavery 1.png

[From Davis, Breckinridge: Statesman, Soldier, Symbol, p. 243]

To be sure, his resume won't save him from modern damnation, but it's clear that there's a big gulf not just between him and the Fire Eaters, but even Jefferson Davis. And he will need far less convincing that the Confederate cause is lost when the time comes than Davis did, even when he's sober. You mght need to kill him off at some point, Red. :)

So yes, I think you're right that if a bloody banner has to be waved, Breckinridge and Lincoln are very unsuitable candidates for the job.

Now that conjures up an interesting timeline idea: Buchanan suddenly dies, from a deck gun explosion or whatever, in 1860, suddenly thrusting Breckinridge into the presidency. Suddenly, Democrats have a rather popular young incumbent to run in the fall. This might butterfly away Douglas's and possibly even Bell's candidacies, and make Lincoln's job a lot more uphill. How would an America with Breckinridge elected in 1860 play out? Secession won't happen, but the slavery fight is not going away, either. Odds are it will wreck Breckinridge's presidency just like it did his three previous predecessors, but it becomes less clear if war is merely delayed - and if so, what that war looks like, and when - or is replaced by some other denouement. Especially if Breckinridge starts making anti-slavery noises after the election.

Breckenridge is a Clay supporter?

Wow!

Well, I mean, he was a Kentuckian, after all!

In fact, he took over Clay's old congressional district in 1850, with Clay's blessing...

Here's some other Breckinridge factoids that will surprise you:
  • Breckinridge was Mary Todd Lincoln's cousin. Breckinridge, who first met Lincoln in 1849, actually visited the Lincolns from time to time after they arrived in DC in the spring of 1861.
  • Breckinridge remains the youngest person ever elected to the vice presidency (he was 35, just barely old enough to be eligible).
  • Buchanan's relations with Breckinridge were never more than chilly, and at one point in 1858 he tried to persuade Breckinridge to resign the vice presidency and take up a post as Minister to Spain. Breckinridge, of course, flatly refused.
  • Edwin M. Stanton and Benjamin Butler both voted for Breckinridge in the 1860 election.
  • Breckinridge in 1860 actually drew strongest in the Deep South in areas which were most anti-secession (like north Alabama) - it was Bell, who was more publicly in advocacy of slavery (he owned 166 slaves; Breckinridge owned none, having sold his last one in 1857) who did best in pro-secession precincts.

In fact, he took over Clay's old congressional district in 1850, with Clay's blessing...

DIdn't know that.
Here's some other Breckinridge factoids that will surprise you:
  • Breckinridge was Mary Todd Lincoln's cousin. Breckinridge, who first met Lincoln in 1849, actually visited the Lincolns from time to time after they arrived in DC in the spring of 1861.
  • Breckinridge remains the youngest person ever elected to the vice presidency (he was 35, just barely old enough to be eligible).
  • Buchanan's relations with Breckinridge were never more than chilly, and at one point in 1858 he tried to persuade Breckinridge to resign the vice presidency and take up a post as Minister to Spain. Breckinridge, of course, flatly refused.
  • Edwin M. Stanton and Benjamin Butler both voted for Breckinridge in the 1860 election.
Knew all of that.
  • Breckinridge in 1860 actually drew strongest in the Deep South in areas which were most anti-secession (like north Alabama) - it was Bell, who was more publicly in advocacy of slavery (he owned 166 slaves; Breckinridge owned none, having sold his last one in 1857) who did best in pro-secession precincts.

Didn't know that.

Say, I wonder what has Robert Smalls been up to? I hope his epic escape from slavery via a commandeered gunboat happens in TTL as well. He might become even more of a legend than OTL with the north more radical.

I had posted that we know it's not Meade coming after Hooker - Meade was born in Spain so couldn't be President. My hope is Reynolds. But, Meade could have been a US citizen anyway if both his parents were, as it appears is possi ble.

Garfield would only be 3 years younger than Chamberlain, though that's pretty young - more reason to use Stanton, though, as VP. There's also the question of who would succeed him (thought Chamberlain would work there.)

Oh, snap. I accidentally gave a clue away. Anyway, I'm guessing that there would not be such a big backlash against Garfield if he's the candidate. Breckenridge was even younger when elected VP, and now he's the leader of the rebellion. Also, when I say candidates, I refer to my candidates, so something like Stanton becoming President and Garfield succeeding him after he's incapacitated would count (not saying I'm gonna do that. I'm really liking the idea of Stanton as a political tutor).

Still, if even more of the South ends up getting directly overrun by Union forces, plain old starvation and all its attendant diseases could rear its ugly head. I'm still surprised more civilians, of either race, didn't die in the winter of 1864-65.

I think that the North had enough produce to feed the South towards the end of the war, because its food production had actually continuously increased. I may be wrong though. Still, some way of land redistribution before the war it's needed. The main commodity would be cotton, naturally, but plots of land given to freedmen or Unionists can also produce potatoes and corn, helping to stave off actual starvation.

To be sure, his resume won't save him from modern damnation, but it's clear that there's a big gulf not just between him and the Fire Eaters, but even Jefferson Davis. And he will need far less convincing that the Confederate cause is lost when the time comes than Davis did, even when he's sober.

If I were to rewrite the TL I would include the Breckenridge fun facts and analyse his rather unique views about slavery. Those views will play a part in the future by the way, since as described in an earlier chapter, Breckenridge and his men are strong Confederate nationalist who would be willing to dispense with slavery if it means the survival of the Confederacy. This and Breckenridge's reputation as somewhat anti-slavery of course arouses greater opposition from the slavocrats. I must confess I didn't know the relation between Mary Todd and Breckenridge, and, again, I would include it now. Or perhaps not. I kind of intended to make Breckenridge's election as the Confederate President a plot twist, since everyone assumed it simply would be Davis again, and focusing too much on him would give that away.

Say, I wonder what has Robert Smalls been up to? I hope his epic escape from slavery via a commandeered gunboat happens in TTL as well. He might become even more of a legend than OTL with the north more radical.

I'd say he would still make his daring escape even if some details are different. Now, the interesting thing is that Smalls would reach the North just a few weeks before the Emancipation Proclamation was issued and allowed Black men to serve the Union. The Congress may then be willing to assign him a command to profit from Smalls' fame, thus paving the way for Black officers (commanding Black regiments of course. We're not there yet).

Oh, snap. I accidentally gave a clue away. Anyway, I'm guessing that there would not be such a big backlash against Garfield if he's the candidate. Breckenridge was even younger when elected VP, and now he's the leader of the rebellion. Also, when I say candidates, I refer to my candidates, so something like Stanton becoming President and Garfield succeeding him after he's incapacitated would count (not saying I'm gonna do that. I'm really liking the idea of Stanton as a political tutor).

I am surprised that there is a anti-Garfeild clique. I would hazard a guess its because Garfield is actually on the anti-Grant side, maybe. and also probably because he is Rosecrans man and held a personal vendetta against Grant for the rest of his life. Of course I could be reaching but anyone that seems to be on Garfields side seems to hate Grant a bit, especially after the Civil War.

And also, Garfield did come after Grant in the Presidency and campaigned on Reforming all of the corruption that started with Grant.

That said Garfield to me seems like the man who should be President because that Reforming platform I think was necessary. Plus his practice as a lawyer, and even the whole "writing Latin with the left hand and Greek with the right". He would definitely be one of the most smartest men to be President.