Chapter 22, August 1508
Windsor Palace, Kingdom of England, August 1508

“You have to convince my father!”
That is what Henry, Prince of Wales frantically demanded when he burst through his stepmother’s chambers, where she sat, sewing. Raising an eyebrow, she waved her attendants away,”Leave us.”
They did so, and as the door shut, Giovanna asked,”What is it that required such a spectacle? What upsets you so?”
The teen huffed, as if his grievances were obvious,”He won’t let me go hunting. That is ridiculous, I am not a child, I am seventeen years old!”
The woman gave her stepson a calm reply,“Henry, have you ever considered why he does not want you to?”
“Damn him! He is jealous because I am young, and he is old.”
Giovanna rolled her eyes,”Do not be so selfish… You are his son, his only son… He could not bear to lose you Henry.”
The Prince of Wales scoffed,”Well whose fault is that?”
Another woman would have grown angry at this and argued with him. But that was not in Giovanna’s nature… Holding back tears, the hefty woman got up from her chair, and lifting her skirts, ran from the room, sobbing as she slammed the door behind her.

Last edited:
Poor Giovanna...and shame on Henry. She is clearly trying to be patient and kind. Also, he should know that one accident while hunting or jousting could very well end the Tudor dynasty before it’s even really begun. His father is just looking out for his male line.

Poor Giovanna...and shame on Henry. She is clearly trying to be patient and kind. Also, he should know that one accident while hunting or jousting could very well end the Tudor dynasty before it’s even really begun. His father is just looking out for his male line.
The two generally have gotten along well up until this point... Henry is well Henry... Even at seventeen he has quite the capacity to be an ass to the people he cares about... Henry petulant as ever dosen't really care about his father's reasoning, but he is definitely not going to get what he wants now.... Thank you so much!

Chapter 23, August 1508
Windsor Palace, Kingdom of England, August 1508

The Queen of England made for her husband’s chambers, her head held high as she tried to disguise her distress. As she entered the room, where her beloved Henry was reading he closed the book and looked up at her from his desk,”What is the matter Giovanna? You look as if something terrible has happened?
She shook her head,“It is nothing Henry… Everything is fine.”
He chuckled,”So I suppose you just cry for no reason? I know something is wrong… Please tell me, my dear...”
“It’s Henry...”
The elder Henry rose an eyebrow,“What of him? Is he ill? Does he struggle in his studies?”
“No, he complains that you won’t let him go hunting.”
“Does he disobey me and go anyways? Why do you look so upset?”
“I… I told him that he could not go because we love him, and that he is your only son… He then asked me whose fault that is.” She paused as a tear rolled down her cheek and her voice cracked,” I know he didn’t mean it, but I just thought of our little John, and how I failed to give you a living son.”
Henry sat silent for a moment, serene as he narrowed his eyes…
Finally he looked back to her,“Tell me, did you have whipping boys in Naples?”
Giovanna shook her head, feeling as if she swallowed ice but told the truth anyway,”No, my father, King Ferrante disciplined us personally. My mother warned me of his temper, and I seldom provoked it, though he would slap my hand if I made an error in my studies. One time when my niece Sancha and I were fourteen he caught her laying with a stableboy… He beat her, gave her a black eye, and kicked her in the ribs as she cried, cursing at her and threatening to throw her in a nunnery. She was the lucky one... He personally castrated and blinded the poor boy, who was just two years older than us… Finally, after two days of torture… and mutilation... he cut his belly with a sword, and young Alessandro died in agony. He then had the surgeon stuff his body, and Alessandro joined the others who dared to prove his wrath, at the dining table that he liked to show the Papal Legate.” (1)
Her husband maintained a neutral expression, until replying with a lilted voice,”That is cruel… Yet you behave and act like the Queen you are… I have been too lax with my son.”
Giovanna’s heart hammered, and she kneeled to the floor supplicating herself,”Henry, please do not hurt him! He did not mean to upset me, I beg you!”
Henry shook his head,”No. I would never hurt my son as your father did to his granddaughter.” He then stood up,”Come with me, I think some fresh air would do us good.”
Giovanna smiled, though if she knew what was to occur, she may have reconsidered that response… The walk through the hallway was short, and as they exited the palace through a pair of double doors, Henry motioned to a groom,”Fetch The Prince of Wales and Charles Brandon, tell them I have something urgent to discuss with them.”
The groom bowed in respect,”Of course your majesty.”
As they continued walking, at a leisurely pace through the parkland Giovanna asked,”Why is it that you want Henry and his friend Charles to meet with us?”
“Oh I just thought we would go for a nice lovely stroll before the weather turns.
Giovanna smiled,”I am glad that you are forgiving of him..”
Giovanna did not notice the razor-thin smile that her husband had as he replied,”Yes, I will forgive him..”

After waiting a few minutes, Henry and his friend Charles Brandon arrived, alongside a few guards, who were to accompany them as they walked. Things started companionably enough, with Henry and Charles inquiring as to the King’s health. Suddenly, the King responded in a cold tone,”I hear that you were cruel to the Queen over the death of your half-brother… I would advise you not to ever do such a thing again.”
As his son mumbled out some apologies, Henry gave a curt order,”Guards, hold the Prince.”
Giovanna felt ready to faint, No, he cannot hurt his son… Surely, he wouldn’t... Her husband then shot his son a stern glare as the confused guards took hold of him, nodding,”Oh you will be sorry boy…”
Charles Brandon for his part stood as still as a statue, to the right of the Prince perhaps unsure of whether his loyalties should lie with his friend or his king. Suddenly, The King approached the young man and slapped him seething, and with each strike scolded his son, who helplessly watched as his unmoving friend was attacked while Giovanna begged her husband to stop, yet the King pressed on,”This is for disrespecting the Queen..” With the second blow came,”This is for making light of John’s death..” As the third and final blow hit Lord Brandon’s cheek the elder Henry sneered,”And this is for being ungrateful for the privileges I clearly should not give you.”
As the King turned back to his son Giovanna tried to stop him, crying out,”Henry stop, I beg of you!!!”
Her husband brushed past her without a word and came face to face with his son, the younger Henry gritting his teeth in defiance. The King then shook his head, slapping his son hard across the face,”Should you feel unhappy under me, this is a taste of how you would fare with King Ferrante as a father.”
With his son recoiling from the slap, Henry took his wife’s hand,”Let’s go to my chambers dear, my blood runs hot…” (2)

(1) The stableboy story is fiction created for the purposes of this TL, but Giovanna’s father King Ferrante of Naples was known for his cruelty, and for taxidermizing those who crossed him…
(2) For those who are concerned, no, this is not a case of marital rape, though Giovanna is not particularly enthused she hopes that she can calm Henry down…

Last edited:
Ah...so the Tudors take to the whipping boy idea very early. But at any rate, that can't have been easy for Henry to watch. He sort of idolized Brandon.

Last edited:
Ah...so the Tudors take to the whipping boy idea very early. But at any rate, that can't have been easy for Henry to watch. He sort of idolized Brandon.
I know that they didn't quite use them at this point, but I figured that Henry VII would likely introduce this unfortunate practice early given his anger towards his son... The elder Henry picked Brandon for that very reason, though I would imagine Henry VII also felt a little guilty given that Charles's father died fighting on his behalf.. Thank you so much!

I loved this chapter. Perhaps a little cruel, but then Henry really did put his foot in it with his words to Giovanna.

Looking forward to more!

I loved this chapter. Perhaps a little cruel, but then Henry really did put his foot in it with his words to Giovanna.

Looking forward to more!
Thank you very much! I definitely think that while Henry VII may have gone a bit too far, as you said if his son had been mindful of his words it would have never happened.

Thank you very much! I definitely think that while Henry VII may have gone a bit too far, as you said if his son had been mindful of his words it would have never happened.
Is not like Henry was directly aiming to his stepmother with that... That conversation between Henry and Giovanna had no way to going well...

Is not like Henry was directly aiming to his stepmother with that... That conversation between Henry and Giovanna had no way to going well...
Yes that's certainly true, and Giovanna did try to stop her husband after all, but trying to stop an angry Tudor is like trying to stop the earth from spinning... Thank you very much!

No, he was not. At least not in the way Giovanna received it. And she was the first to say the wrong thing...
Yes, there certainly was plenty of misinterpretation in the exchange.. Giovanna was definitely the first to make a misstep for calling Henry selfish for thinking of his own interests, but it's she's also concerned for his well being and dosen't want to see him die young....

Yes, there certainly was plenty of misinterpretation in the exchange.. Giovanna was definitely the first to make a misstep for calling Henry selfish for thinking of his own interests, but it's she's also concerned for his well being and dosen't want to see him die young....
She would have done much better to not expose herself to a boy who was already irritated because he feel to be caged reminding him who he is the only son of his father... And Henry VII was truly exaggerating in keeping protect his son so the latter’s frustration is logical...

She would have done much better to not expose herself to a boy who was already irritated because he feel to be caged reminding him who he is the only son of his father... And Henry VII was truly exaggerating in keeping protect his son so the latter’s frustration is logical...
Yes that is all true, no one in the situation is perfect after all...