The Great Crusade (Reds! Part 3)

I've been thinking about Cuba lately. How will they ever rid of their stupid government?
MacArthur passes away in the 60s and much like OTL's Taiwan it gets much better once the dictator passes away; liberalizing a great deal. It'll be more like modern Taiwan after that; while MacArthur is like Taiwan under Chiang Kai-Shek.

Again,what would be the short form of UASR?"American Union"?

Also is it possible to be an antique firearm collector in the UASR?(Yeah,i watched Forgotten Weapons)
"American Union"

Or just "The Americans".

Or "America" like how the USSR is sometimes just called "Russia."

I remember a quote, I believe Michael Albert referenced it in his memoir Remembering Tomorrow, something a leader in the historical Black Panther Party told him during their hey day, that "Many of us went from pushing dope to pushing The Little Red Book, and we do it in much the same way." (I could be misremembering the source though).

I think this is instructive, and it's something often overlooked. Many people from the marginal sections of the working class are often the first people radicalized. They also live in precarious situations that often mean a life of crime. Though obviously not every criminal from OTL is going to turn out to be a revolutionary ITTL. Clyde Barrow might have been the sort of person to go into the Texas prison system for petty crime ITTL and leave preaching State and Revolution in 1932. It's also highly unlikely he'd end up meeting Bonnie in similar circumstances to OTL.
That is an interesting perspective. I've always been of the opinion that radicalization of a populace generally begins with destitution. That is, when you live in such economic straits, people will adopt anything that could get them out of such a lifestyle.

That is an interesting perspective. I've always been of the opinion that radicalization of a populace generally begins with destitution. That is, when you live in such economic straits, people will adopt anything that could get them out of such a lifestyle.
Those with a lot invested in the status quo, and hence a lot to lose if it alters, are rarely supportive of great change. Those with little to lose may be more accepting of change, they feel their situation cannot get much worse.

Does John Wayne (or "Marion Morrison") actually fight in World War II ITTL, instead of getting a deferrement?
That was going to be answered as part of the next "Where are they now", but I had forgotten about it, and it has languished in incompletion. So I'll just answer it here:

"The up and coming actor has put his film career on hold, re-enlisting in the Revolutionary Navy. Due to his age, education, and service record in the Civil War, Morrison has been commissioned as a chief lieutenant in the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Revolutionary Military Committee, the military intelligence partner to the civilian Committee for State Security, where he works as an intelligence analyst attached to cryptography units."

Truth is stranger than fiction, since apparently he was accepted into the Field Photography Unit of the OSS IOTL, but was not notified due to his divorce (IIRC, the letter went to his estranged wife's residence and was never delivered to him)

MacArthur passes away in the 60s and much like OTL's Taiwan it gets much better once the dictator passes away; liberalizing a great deal. It'll be more like modern Taiwan after that; while MacArthur is like Taiwan under Chiang Kai-Shek.

I highly doubt it. The Cuban people don't want to live in a regime that's inherently more American than Cuban. They might as well revolt and take back control.

I highly doubt it. The Cuban people don't want to live in a regime that's inherently more American than Cuban. They might as well revolt and take back control.
Plus, there's also the whole "Fun" memories of Mac coming in and taking their country for his own gain, and squatting there.

I'd like to let everyone know I've been making some seemless edits to past update to deal with unintentional inconsistencies and contradictions that have popped up over the years of writing for this timeline. I also added tuxer's index to the OP, and will continue updating it in the future with new updates. Because of the unlimited edit time, you can expect factbook style entries to receive periodic updates as new material gets publishable. So things like tanks, small arms, ships, etc. I'll probably give you a heads up if anything major gets added

I'd like to let everyone know I've been making some seemless edits to past update to deal with unintentional inconsistencies and contradictions that have popped up over the years of writing for this timeline. I also added tuxer's index to the OP, and will continue updating it in the future with new updates. Because of the unlimited edit time, you can expect factbook style entries to receive periodic updates as new material gets publishable. So things like tanks, small arms, ships, etc. I'll probably give you a heads up if anything major gets added

Nice to here man! :)

The Taiwanese certainly didn't want to live under the KMT after 50 years of being under Japanese rule and thus considering themselves their own culture entirely separate from mainland China.

The KMT just cracked on the order of a half million skulls until everyone fell into line.

The Taiwanese certainly didn't want to live under the KMT after 50 years of being under Japanese rule and thus considering themselves their own culture entirely separate from mainland China.

The KMT just cracked on the order of a half million skulls until everyone fell into line.

There's a huge difference. The KMT were Chinese as much as Taiwanese. The Americuban regime is way different than that.

Post Revolution Battleships of the WFRN
Post-Revolution Battleships of the WFRN

Name: Monitor-class
Operators: Workers' and Farmers' Red Navy
Preceded by: Comintern-class (ex-South Dakota-class)
Succeeded by: Wat Tyler-class

Built: 1934-1938
In commission: 1936-1951
Planned: 5
Completed: 5

Type: Fast battleship
Displacement: 40,220 tonnes (standard)
49,500 tonnes (full load)​
Length: 225.1 meters
Beam: 33 meters
Draft: 10.8 meters (full load)
Installed power: 105,000 kW (140,000 shp)
Propulsion: four geared steam turbines, four shafts, 8 boilers
Speed: 54.6 km/h (29.5 kts)
Range: 24,000 km at 28 km/hr
Armament:
3 x 3 – 41 cm/50 caliber Mark 6 guns
10 x 2 – 125 mm/40 caliber Mark 18 guns
10 x 2 – 37 mm L/60 MG-37-NS1 AA guns
25 – 20 mm MG-20-A1 AA guns
Armor:
Belt: 325 mm on 25 mm STS, inclined 19 degrees
Barbette: 295-435 mm
Conning tower: 75 mm
Turret: 178-410 mm
Deck: 178-210 mm total
Bulkheads: 290 mm

Ships

Monitor (BB-57)
Ulysses (BB-58)
Gaius Marius (BB-59)
Sons of Liberty (BB-60)
Minuteman (BB-61)

Planning for what would eventually become the Monitor-class began years before the revolution. The General Board of the US Navy, the de facto general staff of the pre-revolution navy, ordered preliminary design work for a successor to the South Dakota-class in the fall of 1925. Two preliminary studies, A and B, were prepared to the exacting specifications of the Washington Naval Treaty, armed with sixteen 14-inch and twelve 16-inch guns respectively. Though the 14-inch Mark 4 gun had fallen out of favor with the Navy brass, it was considered prudent to prepare for the outcome of an expected London Naval Conference, where the British would undoubtedly push again for a 14-inch armament restriction.

Both designs continued the philosophy of their predecessors, a modest 23 knot top speed while focusing design efforts towards high survivability in a heavy “all-or-nothing” armor configuration. There was little urgency to this work, as all of the Great Powers had adhered to the dictates of the Treaty, and discontent over ship ratios had not yet overcome the reluctance of peacetime post-war governments to engage in large new arms expenditures.

The next phase in the design progress began in 1929, when the General Board ordered a feasibility study on a “heavy battlecruiser” to address the perceived inadequacies of the Lexington-class battlecruisers. The large and very expensive battlecruisers would be forced to serve as a fast wing in any hypothetical fleet engagement (usually assumed to be the Royal Navy or the Imperial Japanese Navy), and many captains had severe reservations about their survivability in this role.

Two further designs, C and D, were developed, shedding a gun turret from the previous designs to gain more machinery space. Study C was lengthened by twenty meters. The longer, finer hull profile, coupled with newer, more efficient boilers and lighter geared steam turbines, gave the design additional 5 knots of top speed with only a minor reduction in belt armor. Study D was more radical, adopting the all-forward turret layout of the British Revenge-class battlecruiser and slightly thinner armor to further reduce weight. Study D devoted weight savings to longer hull profile, and more machinery, enabling a 33 knot tops speed.

Ultimately Study C was placed on hold. Study D would be ordered as the United States-class battlecruiser in 1930, slated to replace the Nevada and Pennsylvania-class battleships now that the Treaty mandated shipbuilding moratorium had expired. While many in the Navy considered it a flawed compromise, the battlecruiser advocates had the ear of President Hoover. With the onset of the Great Depression, construction on the United States and her sister ships continued in fits and starts as controversial make-work programs, while the Navy’s budget for repair and refit dwindled.

Study C would be revived thanks to the Civil War. With the loss of so many ships either to defection, scuttling or battle damage, the newly forged Workers and Farmers Revolutionary Navy would need reinforcement to defend the revolution. The Provisional Government revived capital ship planning in November 1933, while fighting was still winding down but the new regime beginning to assert itself.

The Naval Operations Committee, the successor to the General Board, selected Study C for modernization due to its 1) adherence to Treaty limits 2) advanced state of development. Three new variants, C1 through C3, were developed to study new strategies for weight reduction. C3 was the most radical, adopting all welded construction and using part of the ship’s armor as a structural member, untested ideas unsuited for a ship the Navy wanted laid down as soon as possible.

The more intensive design study revealed that previous studies had been too generous with their weight assumptions. C had used the 16-inch/50 caliber Mark 2 of its predecessors, and the earlier design had been too optimistic about how small of a turret and barbette would be needed to mount the very large and heavy guns. The finalized design for the BB-57-class was able to fit within Treaty mandated standard displacement (albeit with some creative accounting) thanks to the efforts of the Bureau of Ordnance developing a lighter, more modern replacement for the 16-inch Mark 2.

The final design, approved by the Naval Operations Committee, and accepted by Defense Secretary Abern, would be ordered on 2 November 1934. The lead ship of the class, Monitor, was laid down at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard in a highly publicized ceremony on Christmas Eve. The next four ships of the class would be laid down over the next year. The name Monitor was selected by Navy Commissioner-General(1) Harry Bridges both in homage to the Navy’s first ironclad warship, and for its archaic meaning: “one who admonishes and corrects wrongdoers.”

The Monitor-class would be the first and only class of capital ship that America would complete to the limits of the Naval Treaties. Even the Toledo-class (ex-United States), which were completed concurrently with the Monitor-class, were secretly modified while under construction to abrogation of the terms of the treaties, a fact that would not be disclosed until after the Foster government repudiated the Treaty in 1936.

The Monitor-class was a well-rounded design, fast enough for operations with the detached wing of the fleet, but sturdy enough to survive in the line-of-battle against her toughest contemporaries. She mounted nine of the 41cm/50 caliber Mark 6 guns(2) that would serve as the backbone of modern fleet in three turrets, two forward and one aft. Their 1250kg shells, the “super heavy” AP Mark 8 shells, designed in light of the experience gained in the Battle of the Straits of Florida, would be the gold-standard for capital ship weapons for the next decade. Able to penetrate 440mm of belt armor and 130mm of deck armor at 22km, few extant capital ships would have any immune zone at all against the Monitor.

Monitor’s own armor was excellent though limited against weaponry equivalent to her own. The armored belt, 325mm thick backed by 25mm of Special Treatment Steel, was inclined outward 19 degrees from the keel, tapered down as it connected to the double bottom and torpedo protection arrangements. The internal inclined belt saved a significant amount of weight, and provided protection equivalent to 480mm of vertical armor. Multiple armored decks protected the ship against long range plunging fire and armor piercing bombs; a 40mm STS weather deck to arm fuzes and yaw penetrating shells to increase their penetration angle, a combined 150mm of Class B armor and STS to stop shells or resist detonation, and a further 20mm STS splinter deck to catch shell splinters and spalling.

Combined, this would give the Monitor a zone of immunity against her own guns between 21 and 32 kilometers. Underwater protection was advanced; two tanks outside the belt armor, separated by bulkheads, and filled with water or fuel oil, to absorb the force of torpedo detonation and prevent any splinters from piercing into the armored raft section. In practice, the torpedo defense system would prove less effective than prior systems and would need overhaul in later classes.

At commission, Monitor’s anti-aircraft weaponry was considered almost excessive. A secondary battery of twenty 125mm dual purpose guns, mounted in ten twin turrets, provided long-range anti-aircraft fire (as well as defense against small surface combatants). Twenty 37mm autocannons in ten twin mountings provided a mid-range protection envelope, supplemented by twenty-five 20mm machine guns for point defense. This protection would be further augmented in wartime refits with additional 37mm and 20mm mounts.

(1) Senior civilian administrator of the Navy, direct subordinate of the People’s Secretary for Defense, and thus analogous to the modern US Secretary of the Navy.

(2) Though the bore is slightly larger (16.14-inches), the Navy considers 16-inch and 41cm guns to be part of the same series. During refit and modernization, older battleships would have their guns relined to a 41cm bore to ensure shell commonality.

Last edited: