The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

May 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 3)
  • May 5, 1972 - The Beatles travel to West Germany to begin that portion of the All Things Must Pass Tour. Unlike their tours in the 60s, the group has a large team of support staff, including roadies and sound engineers with them on the plane. George reportedly says "It's too bloody crowded."

May 6, 1972 - The Beatles tour Hamburg much like they did in Liverpool. As was the case there, photographers and fans alike descend on them. John, Paul, and George autograph a fan's copy of Der Top Ten Club präsentiert Die Beat Brothers. Paul reacts by saying "I didn't know people still had that album here."

May 8, 1972 - The group performs the seventh concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Volkparkstadion in Hamburg. The up and coming German band Scorpions opens the concerts in West Germany. The Beatles replace "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" with the German-language versions, something that the crowd reacts very well to. This will be the case for the other two dates in West Germany. The Beatles also play a few early rock 'n' roll songs which were a staple of their club performances.

May 11, 1972 - Eighth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Weser-Stadion in Bremen.

May 13, 1972 - Ninth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Mungersdorfer Stadion in Cologne. Despite some rain, the concert goes smoothly. This location allows fans in Belgium and The Netherlands to see the group in concert. Paul assures those in audience from those two countries that the group plans to tour there in the future.

May 16, 1972 - Tenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour and the first in France at Parc des Princes in Paris. "If I Fell" is replaced with "Michelle" for all the French concerts. The group also sings in French during "Sun King".

All Things Must Pass Tour North American Dates
  • Now that The Beatles have reached the French portion of the tour, here are the dates for the North American leg. The group will play in both outdoor and indoor venues. On the European leg they've played exclusively in soccer stadiums.

June 2 - Shea Stadium, New York City, New York
    June 4 - Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
    June 7 - Jarry Park, Montreal, Quebec
    June 10 - Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario
    June 12 - Cleveland Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
    June 15 - Tiger Stadium, Detroit, Michigan
    June 17 - Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois
    June 20 - Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri
    June 23 - Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas
    June 25 - Astrodome, Houston, Texas
    June 29 - Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Phoenix, Arizona
    July 1 - Las Vegas Stadium, Las Vegas Nevada
    July 3 - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California
    July 7 - Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, California
    July 10 - Rose Garden, Portland, Oregon
    July 13 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington
    July 15 - Mile High Stadium, Denver, Colorado
    July 18 - Tulane Stadium, New Orleans, Louisiana
    July 20 - Alexander Memorial Coliseum, Atlanta, Georgia
    July 23 - RFK Stadium, Washington DC

The group will then fly out of New York City to Australia.

May 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 4)
  • So you never answered my question about the Abby Road Medly... does it start with Golden Slumbers or with You Never Give Me Your Money?

They mostly go with "Golden Slumbers" as the starting point, but if they have time and they're up for it, they start it with "You Never Give Me...". With that out of the way, let's finish up the French portion of the tour, shall we?

May 19, 1972
    - Twelfth* concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Stade Leon-Bollee in Le Mans. During "Michelle", Paul messes up a few words during the French portions. Paul says after the song ends "Sorry folks, pardon my French." Ringo also flubs a couple of fills during "It Don't Come Easy", to which he replies "It don't come easy to drum and sing".

May 23, 1972 - Thirteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Stade de Venoix in Caen. As has been the case all tour, John fills in on bass guitar when Paul is playing another instrument. For this concert, Paul draws attention to this by changing one of the lines in "Maybe I'm Amazed" to "Maybe I'm amazed that John can play the bass guitar". This elicits laughter from John and because it works so well, this is done at all subsequent concerts on the tour.

May 27, 1972 - Fourteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Stade Chaban-Delmas in Bourdeax. Before the concert, some fans are injured during the rush to get into the stadium. Other than that, the concert proceeds as normal.

May 30, 1972 - Final concert of the European leg of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Stadium de Toulouse in Toulouse.

May 31, 1972 - The Beatles fly out of Orly Airport in Paris to New York City to begin the much-anticipated North American leg of the tour.

*I realized that I forgot to count Wembley Stadium as the first concert. So that would make the Paris concert the eleventh one of the tour.

Last edited:
    June 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 5)
  • June 2, 1972 - The North American leg of the All Things Must Pass Tour kicks off at Shea Stadium in New York City. For the North American leg, Creedence Clearwater Revival opens for The Beatles. The projector screen first used in the Liverpool concert returns as well, and will be used for the rest of the tour. It is also here that the differences between the previous tours and the current one become crystal clear. John gives an interview for radio news station 1010 WINS after the concert.

Reporter: How is touring now, compared to six years ago?

John: Oh, it's a lot different. Like night and day. Back six years ago, 90 percent of the audience were teenage girls who'd scream their heads off. Now, there are lot of lads as well and not all of them scream, it's more like a roar now. It's like they actually want to listen to us rather than scream at us.

Reporter: Anything else you can think of?

John: Yes, we can actually hear ourselves this time! At the last concert we did here seven years ago, none of us could hear what we were playing. Watching the footage nowadays, I'm amazed we were able to play with any coherency. Now, with all the speakers and amps in the elaborate sound system we have, we can hear ourselves just as good as the audience can.

During this concert, a recording crew from Apple's American division records the concert for a future live album. The Beatles add "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and "Baby's In Black", two songs they'd performed at the 1965 concert, to the setlist.

June 4, 1972 - Seventeenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. The Beatles perform "Dirty Water" in tribute to Boston. Members of local orchestras assist the group on songs with elaborate instrumentation, such as "Across The Universe", throughout the tour.

June 7, 1972 - Eighteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Jarry Park in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. As was the case with the concerts in France, the group sings "Michelle" in place of "If I Fell".

June 8, 1972 - The Beatles visit Canadian PM Pierre Trudeau in Ottawa. Trudeau honors the group by making them honorary citizens of Canada.

June 10, 1972 - Nineteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

June 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 6)
  • June 12, 1972 - Twentieth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Cleveland Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio.

June 15, 1972 - Twenty-first concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan. The Beatles add two Motown songs to the setlist for this concert: "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Please Mr. Postman".

June 17, 1972 - Twenty-second concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Chicago Stadium in Chicago, Illinois. As has been the case with all of their concerts on the North American leg, the venue is packed. During "Come And Get It", a fight breaks out in one section of the upper level. Paul stops the song to try to calm them down to no avail. The concert comes to a halt as the police try to get the situation under control. During the fight, a few fans fall over the railing and into the crowd below. Police are able to gain control of the situation, but not before dozens of fans are injured and several are taken to the hospital with severe injuries. The rest of the concert proceeds as normal. In a press conference with local media after the concert, The Beatles criticize the venue for having lax security measures. The incident get national attention and draws attention to security measures at concert venues.

June 18, 1972 - The Beatles are informed that two of the fans who fell over the railing have died of their injuries. The group considers canceling their next tour date in St. Louis, but ultimately decide against it.

June 20, 1972 - Twenty-third concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The Beatles hold a moment of silence towards the beginning of the concert for the victims of the Chicago incident. The rest of the concert proceeds normally, though the group is obviously quite shaken up.

June 23, 1972 - Twenty-fourth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas.

June 1972 - July 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 7)
  • I'm guessing the Chicago incident will be the inspiration for an OTL song ITTL

Yes, although how far in the future that will be I haven't decided yet.

June 25, 1972 - Twenty-fifth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. In an effort to avoid a repeat of the Chicago Stadium Brawl, the Astrodome employs many more security guards and implements assigned seating. The concert proceeds without incident. Despite this, many of the venues on the rest of the tour will continue to use festival seating.

June 29, 1972 - Twenty-sixth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix, Arizona. For this concert, part of the the lyrics of "Get Back" are changed to "Jojo left his home in Phoenix, Arizona...", much to the delight of the crowd.

July 1, 1972 - Twenty-seventh concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Las Vegas Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada. The afternoon before the concert, The Beatles take in Elvis' live show at a Las Vegas Hotel and then visit with him back stage. The group later covers "Heartbreak Hotel" during the concert.

July 3, 1972 - Twenty-eighth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California.

July 6, 1972 - The Beatles spend this off-day from the tour checking out the San Francisco area, hounded as usual by photographers and fans.

July 7, 1972 - Twenty-ninth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, California.

July 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 8)
  • Once again, the timeline falls quiet.

Again, sorry for the delay. I was once again distracted by other projects elsewhere. This will happen from time to time.

I’m really enjoying this will Band on the Run happen?

Yes, it will be both an album and a movie.

Now, on with the timeline:

July 10, 1972 - Thirtieth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon.

July 13, 1972 - Thirty-first concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Seattle Center Coliseum in Seattle, Washington. For this concert and for all subsequent concerts, The Beatles play the entire Abbey Road Medley at the end followed by the usual encores. Previous to this, it depended on how long the concert was and if there were any instrumentalists available. As was the case in Europe, members of local orchestras back them up on songs with extra instrumentation, namely the Abbey Road Medley.

July 15, 1972 - Thirty-second concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado. The group adds "Rocky Raccoon" to the setlist for this concert.

July 18, 1972 - Thirty-third concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, Louisiana.

July 20, 1972 - Thirty-fourth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Alexander Memorial Coliseum in Atlanta, Georgia.

July 23, 1972 - The Beatles wrap up the North American leg of the All Things Must Pass Tour at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. As a tribute to their first live US concert in 1964, the group performs "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Please Please Me".

July 26, 1972 - The Beatles fly out of JFK Airport in New York City to commence the Australian leg of the tour.

All Things Must Pass Tour Australia & Japan Dates
  • Here are the dates for the relatively short Australian and Japanese leg of the tour:

July 30 - Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
    August 3 - Jubilee Oval, Sydney
    August 6 - Brisbane Cricket Ground, Brisbane
    August 10 - WACA Ground, Perth
    August 15 - Hankyu Nishinomiya Stadium, Osaka
    August 17 - Nagoya Stadium, Nagoya
    August 20 - Nippon Budokan Hall, Tokyo

Something interesting has also happened in the US:

July 29, 1972 - A representative from the Apple Records office in New York City visits the Max's Kansas City nightclub to see a performance by the band Aerosmith, who have become a popular act there. Liking what he sees, he offers to unofficially sign them on the spot pending approval of The Beatles, who are currently on tour.

July 1972 - August 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 9)
  • July 30, 1972 - The Beatles open up the brief Australian leg of the tour at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne.

August 3, 1972 - Thirty-seventh concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Jubilee Oval in Sydney.

August 4, 1972 - "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" b/w "Apple Scruffs" is released in the UK as Apple R 5968. Both tracks are from the All Things Must Pass album. The A-side becomes somewhat controversial due to it's fragmented nature. This is due to the fact that is comprised of pieces of unfinished songs. The B-side is a tribute to fans who hang out in front of the Abbey Road studios in hopes of catching a glimpse of the group. The single becomes their 20th #1 in the UK.

August 6, 1972 - Thirty-eight concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Brisbane Cricket Ground in Brisbane

August 9, 1972 - "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" b/w "Apple Scruffs" is released in the US as Apple 3412. The single makes it to #1 there on the strength of the group's tour of the US.

August 10, 1972 - Thirty-ninth concert of All Things Must Pass Tour at the WACA Ground in Perth. Towards the beginning of the concert, John quips "We just flew in from Brisbane, and our arms are tired!".

August 11, 1972 - The Beatles fly to Japan.

August 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour ends)
  • August 13, 1972 - On the way to Osaka, The Beatles and their entourage visit Hiroshima's Peace Memorial Park.

August 15, 1972 - The Beatles open the short Japanese leg of the tour at Hankyu Nishinomiya Stadium in Osaka. Despite the obvious language barrier, the venue is packed and the fans are just as energetic as ever. This is also the fortieth concert of the tour.

August 17, 1972 - Forty-first concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Nagoya Stadium in Nagoya.

August 20, 1972 - Final concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Nippon Budokan Hall in Tokyo. The Beatles last played there in 1966 on their (then) final tour. For this concert, they forego playing the entire Abbey Road Medley as they've done since the US portion of the tour. They stop the set at "Strawberry Fields Forever", then do the typical encores. Finally, for the first and last time, they do a second encore, featuring "Boys" and "Blackbird", before launching into a triumphant rendition of "Golden Slumbers/The End".

August 22, 1972 - The group spends the day visiting Tokyo before flying out of Haneda Airport back to London. George tells a reporter at the airport that despite some bumps in the road, it was a "splendid tour".

August 27, 1972 - At the Apple offices in London, Paul listens to a tape sent by a representative at the Apple offices in New York City of Aerosmith's nightclub set. He likes what he hears and says they can be officially signed.

A couple of questions now that the tour is over. For future tours, should I have a date for each and every concert, or should there be less detail? The tour alone took 10 posts to cover. Also, I recall someone suggesting that things have gone too smoothly for the group and that there should be something that goes wrong at some point in the 70s. I had the Chicago incident happen, but that probably wasn't major enough. Any ideas?

September 1972
  • September 1, 1972 - Aerosmith is officially signed to the Apple label, with Allen Klein as their manager. They immediately begin work on their first album.

September 4, 1972 - The Beatles hold a party at Abbey Road studios to celebrate the tenth anniversary of their first ever recording session there. As part of the festivities, they reenact the session on the studio floor, performing "Love Me Do" and also covering "How Do You Do It". Both recordings of the songs are preserved for possible use in the future.

September 6, 1972 - Paul meets John at Tittenhurst Park to discuss future plans, most notably their next album. For the first time in a couple of years, they write a couple of songs together as well.

September 13, 1972 - For Zak's seventh birthday, Ringo takes his family to a beach in Southampton.

September 15, 1972 - George and Pattie Harrison along with 2-year old Louise visit the Blackpool Pleasure Beach amusement park.

September 20, 1972 - Paul visits Aerosmith in Boston and welcomes them to the Apple label. He also observes one of their recording sessions later that day.

September 26, 1972 - John, along with his family, visits his mother Julia in Liverpool.

October 1972
  • Very nice ideas guys. All the pop music styles appearing in the 70s and the group's efforts to remain relevant would inevitably lead to arguments about musical direction. Anyway, on with the timeline:

October 5, 1972 - To commemorate the 10th anniversary of The Beatles' first single release, Apple Records reissues the "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You" single in a special picture sleeve with a message from The Beatles on the reverse side:

PV662kI.png

While intended to be a UK-only release, some copies make their way to the US as well.

October 8, 1972 - The Beatles are interviewed by the BBC as part of a TV special celebrating 10 years of The Beatles, in which they announce that they will be returning to the studio to record their next album.

October 10, 1972 - George is involved in a minor car accident near his home.

October 17, 1972 - Sessions begin at Abbey Road studios for The Beatles' next album, the name of which has not been decided yet.

October 21, 1972 - John attends one of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust shows. John takes an instant liking to Bowie's flamboyant, glam rock style. He visits Bowie backstage after the concert and they become fast friends.

October 27, 1972 - During a recording session at Abbey Road, Paul floats the idea of making another feature film. He points out that Apple's film division has been very underutilized, mostly being used to shoot promotional films. He further states that all the production could be done totally in-house. The rest of group is somewhat skeptical, however.

Last edited:
    November 1972
  • This month, recording sessions continue for The Beatles' next album.

November 4, 1972 - Paul contacts Richard Lester, the director of the films "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!", in hopes of recruiting him to direct the group's third major film.

November 9, 1972 - John presents a song he wrote to the group called "Instant Karma" during a recording session. It is a glam rock number inspired by his friend David Bowie. Paul approves while George and Ringo are both somewhat skeptical.

November 15, 1972 - The 1973 Grammy Award nominations are announced. Both 666 by Aphrodite's Child and All Things Must Pass by The Beatles are in the running for Album Of The Year. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is also nominated for Record Of the Year.

November 22, 1972 - "My Sweet Lord" b/w "You're Sixteen" is released in the UK as Apple R 5971. The B-Side is a non-album track, the first since "Old Brown Shoe" to be issued on a single. It is also the second single to feature neither John nor Paul on vocals. The single makes it to #1 in the UK, their 21st such record there.

November 23, 1972 - The Beatles hold a business meeting to discuss plans for their third film. Paul wants the film to be "kind of like A Hard Day's Night, but a decade later", while the rest of the group thinks it should be a more serious affair.

November 28, 1972 - "My Sweet Lord" b/w "You're Sixteen" is released in the US as Apple 3484. The A-Side becomes somewhat controversial due to the use of the word "Lord" in the title and the Hare Krishna mantra towards the end. The single still makes it to a high respectable #3.

Last edited:
    December 1972
  • This month, the sessions are winding down for the next Beatles album.

December 3, 1972 - During a recording session, the group comes to a compromise on what their next movie will entail. They decide on a mostly serious treatment with some of the humor Paul wants. Paul then asks Apple's film division to track down a screenwriter and a director.

December 8, 1972 - With the sessions coming to an end, Apple Records announces that The Beatles' next album release will be called Mind Games Forever and will be released in the late spring of 1973. They also announce the tentative plans for a new Beatles movie.

December 14, 1972 - Paul meets John at Tittenhurst Park to write songs for the movie, the title of which has not been decided yet. They will do this a few more times over the next month.

December 17, 1972 - George and Pattie Harrison announce that they are expecting their second child, due in June 1973.

December 25, 1972 - The Beatles do an hour-long Christmas special on the BBC. "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" is performed by George, and John once again performs "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)".

January 1973
  • Did the Beatles run into the Gibb brothers ITTL?

They may have rubbed elbows at some point, The Bee Gees having had plenty of UK hits the late 60s. I imagine that will be one of the bands that give The Beatles a run for their money later in the decade.

January 5, 1973
    - Aerosmith's self-titled debut album is released in the US as Apple 11130. It sells moderately well and barely makes the Billboard Album Chart at #195. Note: in OTL, the album did not chart until 1976.

January 9, 1973 - The final recording session for Mind Games Forever is held at Abbey Road studios. With work on the album done, The Beatles shift the focus to their movie still in the pre-production stage.

January 14, 1973 - John is interviewed about the upcoming album and movie on ITV. When asked whether they have a director lined up, he says they don't yet, but they're looking at several possibilities, such as Richard Lester and a young and upcoming American director named George Lucas. He further states a script is currently being worked on.

January 20, 1973 - After completing the songs for the movie and coming up with the title "Band On The Run", Paul delivers the songs to the scriptwriter so he can better form a plot around them.

January 25, 1973 - Ringo visits his parents in Liverpool, dodging fans as per usual.

Have an awesome Thanksgiving everyone!

February 1973
  • Hey folks. I've decided that because we need something to get our minds off the COVID-19 outbreak and it's been about 4 months since the last timeline post, I've decided to come back for the time being. Hope I still have it in me. Anyway, off we go:

February 2, 1973 - Apple releases a statement announcing that Richard Lester has been hired to direct Band On The Run, with filming set to begin in March.

February 8, 1973 - Queen begins recording their debut album at the Abbey Road recording studios. Despite having been signed to the label since April of last year, the group has mostly focused on their nightclub act until now.

February 11, 1973 - Ten years after the marathon recording session which produced the album Please Please Me, The Beatles begin recording the songs for the movie Band On The Run. These sessions will last less than a month.

February 16, 1973 - Apple Records releases the special double album Apple Jam: Five Years Of Apple '68-73. The album includes songs not only from The Beatles but also the artists who have record for the label over that time period, ending with songs from the upcoming Mind Games Forever album and Aerosmith's debut album. The album sells well on both sides of the Atlantic.
    20191202_160003-jpg.506374

Album art by Garrett_Cartoonist

February 21, 1973 - Apple issues another statement concerning Band On The Run, announcing that Smokey Robinson, Chuck Berry, and Elvis Presley have all signed on to appear in the movie.

February 25, 1973 - George and Pattie Harrison announce that they expecting a boy in June. This is the first time any Beatle has made such an announcement of the gender of their unborn child.

March 1973
  • March 3, 1973 - The Beatles win two Grammy awards, Album Of The Year and Record Of The Year for All Things Must Pass and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" respectively. George Martin accepts the awards on the group's behalf.

March 7, 1973 - The Beatles conclude the recording sessions for the songs to appear in Band On The Run. Meanwhile, Apple's film division begins to scout out locations in and around London. Another team is sent to scout out locations in Detroit, St. Louis, and Las Vegas over the following week.

March 13, 1973 - With filming set to begin in a week, Paul is interviewed on BBC TV about the movie. He says it was mostly his idea and that the production work will be done completely in-house at Apple. When asked about what the movie will be about, Paul simply says it will be an introspective look at the group and their career.

March 19, 1973 - Filming commences for Band On The Run at Twickenham Studios. The next three weeks of filming will consist of studio work at Twickenham along with on-location shooting around London.

March 22, 1973 - A special 10th Anniversary Edition of the album Please Please Me is released by Apple in the UK to commemorate The Beatles' first official album release there. The album is also released for the first time in the US.

March 26, 1973 - With mixing completed on the movie songs, Vangelis, a former member of Aphrodite's Child, is hired to write incidental music to be performed by the George Martin Orchestra in the film.

April 1973
  • One thing before I start the update: As of right now my choices to play Sam and the Constable are Christopher Lee and Michael Palin respectively. I just think it would be interesting to have a serious actor and a comedic one paired up like that.

April 4, 1973 - George issues a statement on the 5th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. He says that all should strive to promote peace the way King did during his lifetime.

April 8, 1973 - John along with the rest of The Beatles celebrate Julian's 10th birthday on the set at Twickenham Studios. Interestingly, Julian's birthday occurs the day the filming of the "It's Johnny's Birthday" scene occurs.

April 10, 1973 - The George Martin Orchestra begins recording the incidental music written for Band On The Run by Vangelis at Abbey Road Studios.

April 16, 1973 - Filming in London is extended by one week due to weather issues in that area.

April 19, 1973 - The Beatles film a scene on-location at a London restaurant. The local police have to be brought in to keep rabid fans away.

April 24, 1973 - Filming in London wraps up with the shooting of a few street scenes.

April 28, 1973 - The Beatles and the film crew fly out of Heathrow Airport to New York City to begin on-location shooting in the US.

May 1973
  • I think they are fine right here. As long as the threadmarks are there, they can be found.

Alright, I'll get to work as soon as I can. And now, let's see how the first month of filming in the US unfolded.

May 2, 1973 - A two week block of filming begins in the Detroit area to shoot scenes with Smokey Robinson among others. The group stays at the Book Cadillac Hotel during this time.

May 5, 1973 - The Beatles shoot a scene at a Detroit nightclub where they nearly get captured by Sam and the Constable.

May 7, 1973 - Several chase scenes are shot in downtown Detroit.

May 11, 1973 - The Beatles take a break from filming to take in a baseball game at Tiger Stadium, where they performed only a year ago. The group is given their own private box seats. They watch the Detroit Tigers defeat the Milwaukee Brewers in a close game 6-5. Note: I'll link the actual boxscore here

May 16, 1973 - Filming wraps up in the Detroit area. While the crew heads to St. Louis, Ringo charters a private plane to fly to Nashville.

May 17, 1973 - Ringo visits several recording studios in Nashville, with an eye to recording a solo country album in the future. The following day he flies out to St. Louis to rejoin the rest of the group.

May 20, 1973 - Another two week block of filming begins in the St. Louis area to shoot Chuck Berry's portion of the movie along with other related scenes.

May 26, 1973 - Several road trip scenes are filmed on the outskirts of St. Louis

June 1973 ("Mind Games Forever" released)
  • June 4, 1973 - Filming wraps up in the St. Louis area with the shooting of a chase scene inside Lambert Airport. The following day The Beatles and crew fly out to Las Vegas to commence the final portion of US on-location filming.

June 5, 1973 - The final two week block of filming begins in Las Vegas to shoot Elvin's portion of the movie.

June 8, 1973 - The album Mind Games Forever is released in the UK following a two week delay caused by production work for the movie at Apple. As was the case with the last album, the group's individuality as songwriters is on full display. The album is generally well received by both critics and the record buying public, although some suggest the group may be getting "softer". The album becomes the group's 13th #1 album in UK. Note: I was originally going to do a personnel list for the album, but that would've made the post even longer.

"Mind Games Forever"
    Apple 35

mind-games-forever-jpg.473244

Album art by Asharella

SIDE 1
    1. Mind Games (Lennon)
    2. Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me) (McCartney)
    3. Instant Karma (We All Shine On) (Lennon)
    4. You're Sixteen (Sherman-Sherman)
    5. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (Harrison)
    6. Tight A$ (Lennon)
    7. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five (McCartney)

SIDE 2
    8. Gimme Some Truth (Lennon)
    9. Oh My My (Starkey)
    10. Don't Let Me Wait Too Long (Harrison)
    11. Living In The Material World (Harrison)
    12. No Words (McCartney)
    13. Out Of The Blue (Lennon)
    14. Try Some, Buy Some (Harrison)

June 12, 1973 - The album Mind Games Forever is released in the US as Apple 3414. The album also is a hot seller there, heading straight to #1 on the album charts. It holds the #1 spot for eight weeks and sells over a million copies.

June 13, 1973 - During a break in filming, Paul visits a record store in Las Vegas to sign copies of Mind Games Forever.

June 16, 1973 - After shooting a few scenes around Las Vegas, Elvis tells the group to meet him that night at his lodgings at the hotel where's he been performing. He tells the group that night that he wants to cut ties with Colonel Tom Parker, who has been his manager since the beginning of his career, and expresses interest in joining the Apple label.

June 21, 1973 - With much of the filming work done in the US, George flies back to London as Pattie's due date is drawing closer.

June 23, 1973 - The rest of the group and crew celebrate the end of principal photography at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, then fly back to England.

June 27, 1973 - Dhani Harrison is born to George and Pattie Harrison at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London.