The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

March 1964 - April 1964
  • March 2, 1964 - "Twist And Shout" b/w "There's A Place" is released in the US as Tollie 9001. The single goes on to make the #1 spot on the Cash Box chart. That same day, filming begins for A Hard Day's Night. George Harrison meets actress Pattie Boyd whom he immediately takes a liking to. They begin dating shortly thereafter.

March 16, 1964 - "Can't Buy Me Love" b/w "You Can't Do That" is released in the US as Capitol 5150. It becomes their third #1 single in the US.

March 20, 1964 - "Can't Buy Me Love" b/w "You Can't Do That" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5114. The single goes to #1 in that country, their fifth single to do so.

March 23, 1964 - "Do You Want To Know A Secret" b/w "Thank You Girl" is released in the US as Vee-Jay 587. The single peaks at #2 in Billboard. That same day, John Lennon's first book, In His Own Write, is published. It contains 31 stories and pen drawing by Lennon with an introduction by Paul McCartney.

April 4, 1964 - The Beatles occupy all top five spots on the US Billboard Hot 100, the first time any singing group has done so. Two of them are Capitol releases, and the other three are from other labels.

April 10, 1964 - The Beatles' Second Album is released in the US as Capitol 2080. The album consists of songs which were left off Meet The Beatles in addition to to songs which were recently released by Capitol. The album was put together in response to high demand for a follow-up Beatles album.

April 24, 1964 - Filming wraps up for A Hard Day's Night.

Last edited:
    April 1964 - July 1964
  • April 27, 1964 - "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You" is released in the US as Tollie 9008. This comes a whole 18 months after the UK release of the single. The goes to #1, making this their fourth single to do so in the US.

May 6, 1964 - The Around The Beatles TV special, taped on April 28, airs in the UK on the ITV network. One of the segments features The Beatles performing a spoof of a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream. Note: Simply hilarious!

May 21, 1964 - "Sie Liebt Dich (She Loves You)" b/w "I'll Get You" is released in the US as Swan 4182. The Beatles recorded this German-language version back on January 29th along with a German-language version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand". With Beatlemania still running rampant in the US, record companies were eager to release any Beatles material they could, and this is a good example of that. This single charts for only one week at #97 on the Billboard Hot 100.

June 4, 1964 - The Beatles commence a world tour, starting in Copenhagen, Denmark. Ringo went to the hospital with tonsillitis and pharyngitis a day earlier, so temporary replacement Jimmy Nichol fills in as drummer.

June 14, 1964 - After recovering from his illness, Ringo rejoins the group on their tour in Melbourne, Australia.

June 26, 1964 - The album A Hard Day's Night is released in the US as United Artists 3366. As UA is the distributor of the film, this album is very much a soundtrack album, with all the songs from the film plus one that didn't make it in, "I'll Cry Instead". Also included are four orchestral instrumentals by George Martin and his orchestra.

July 6, 1964 - The film A Hard Day's Night premieres at the London Pavilion Theatre. The premiere is attended by The Beatles, who wrapped up their world tour on June 30th, along with their wives and girlfriends. Also in attendance are Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon.

July 1964 - August 1964 ("A Hard Day's Night" released)
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've also changed the title of the thread to more accurately reflect my goal. And now, on with the timeline:

July 10, 1964 - The album A Hard Day's Night is released in the UK. This much more of a Beatles album than the one released in the US, which was more of a soundtrack album. The album becomes their third #1 album in the UK. On the same day, "A Hard Day's Night" b/w "Things We Said Today" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5160. The song goes to #1, their sixth to do so. Also, the film A Hard Day's Night has it's Liverpool premiere. Note: "Matchbox" has been added to Side 2 ITTL to give Ringo his customary song (thanks Lafayette_!). By the way, I'm only posting the track listings from the UK albums, since Capitol in the US had a nasty habit of slightly altering the content of the albums.

"A Hard Day's Night"
    Parlophone 1230

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney except where noted.

SIDE 1
    1. A Hard Day's Night
    2. I Should Have Known Better
    3. If I Fell
    4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    5. And I Love Her
    6. Tell Me Why
    7. Can't Buy Me Love

SIDE 2
    1. Any Time At All
    2. I'll Cry Instead
    3. Things We Said Today
    4. When I Get Home
    5. You Can't Do That
    6. Matchbox (Perkins)
    7. I'll Be Back

July 13, 1964 - "A Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should've Known Better" is released in the US as Capitol 5222. It immediately enters the charts and goes to #1 in Billboard. The B-Side charts as well, making it to the #53 position.

July 20, 1964 - The album Something New is released in the US as Capitol 2108. The album consists of eight songs from the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack, released a month earlier, along with a few others. On the same day, Capitol releases two Beatles singles, "And I Love Her" b/w "If I Fell" with the catalog number 5235, and "I'll Cry Instead" b/w "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" with the catalog number 5234. "And I Love Her" goes to #12 on the Hot 100, while "I'll Cry Instead" goes to #25.

August 18, 1964 - The Beatles travel to San Francisco to commence a 25-date tour of the US.

August 24, 1964 - "Matchbox" b/w "Slow Down" is released in the US as Capitol 5255. The song charts more modestly than the other songs released by Capitol to this point, peaking out at #17.

August 28, 1964 - During some down time from their tour in New York City, American folk singer Bob Dylan introduces the group to marijuana. While it makes quite an impression on George and Ringo, as well as Brian Epstein, the same can't be said for John and Paul. Paul says many years later that "... it was just nasty stuff, and [me and John] did not take to it at all. We both agreed that Julia would not want us to be involved in such things, so we simply walked away."

Last edited:
    September 1964 - December 1964 ("Beatles For Sale" released)
  • September 20, 1964 - The Beatles conclude their North American tour with a performance at a charity concert at the Paramount Theatre in New York City.

October 7, 1964 - The Beatles appear on the British edition of the US television show Shindig, taped on the 3rd.

November 23, 1964 - "I Feel Fine" b/w "She's A Woman" is released in the US as Capitol 5327. The single becomes a double-sided Top Ten hit for the group, with "I Feel Fine" going to #1 (now their sixth) and "She's A Woman" making it to #4. Note: For the US release Capitol Records adds reverb to both sides, which in my opinion sounds better than the lifeless non-reverb version available today.

November 27, 1964 - "I Feel Fine" b/w "She's A Woman" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5200. It becomes their seventh #1 UK hit.

December 1, 1964 - Ringo Starr goes to the University College Hospital in London to have his tonsils taken out. He stays there for 10 days.

December 4, 1964 - The album Beatles For Sale is released in the UK. It becomes their fourth album in a row to make it to the #1 spot on the UK Album chart. Note: Barring any suggestions from you people, this album remains unchanged from OTL.

"Beatles For Sale"
    Parlophone 1240

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney unless otherwise noted

SIDE 1
    1. No Reply
    2. I'm A Loser
    3. Baby's In Black
    4. Rock And Roll Music (Berry)
    5. I'll Follow The Sun
    6. Mr. Moonlight (Johnson)
    7. Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey (Lieber-Stoller/Penniman)

SIDE 2
    1. Eight Days A Week
    2. Words Of Love (Holly)
    3. Honey Don't (Perkins)
    4. Every Little Thing
    5. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
    6. What You're Doing
    7. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (Perkins)

December 15, 1964 - The album Beatles '65 is released in the US as Capitol 2228. This release is mostly the American version of Beatles For Sale, containing eight tracks from that album. Rounding out the tracklist are both songs from their latest US single ("I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman") along with "I'll Be Back" (a song that was left off Something New). Beatles '65 goes to #1, their fourth album to do so in the US.

February 1965 - May 1965
  • February 11, 1965 - Ringo Starr marries Maureen Cox at the Caxton Hall Register Office in London. As was the case with John's wedding, Brian Epstein is the best man. Also in attendance are John and George. Paul can't attend as he is on vacation with Jane Asher in Portugal.

February 15, 1965 - "Eight Days A Week" b/w "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" is released in the US as Capitol 5371. Both tracks are off the UK Beatles For Sale album but were left off Beatles '65. The single heads straight to #1, their eighth total in the US. This coupling is never released in the UK. On the same day, John Lennon passes his driving test in Weybridge, England.

February 23, 1965 - The Beatles commence filming their second major film, Help!, in the Bahamas.

March 22, 1965 - The album The Early Beatles is released in the US as Capitol 2309. The album consists of tracks from the Please Please Me album that had been issued on other labels the year before.

April 9, 1965 - "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Yes It Is" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5265. Both tracks are from the upcoming Help! album. The single goes to #1, their eighth in the UK.

April 19, 1965 - "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Yes It Is" is released in the US as Capitol 5407. The label on both sides mentions that the tracks are "From the United Artists Release Eight Arms To Hold You". That has been the working title of the movie Help! up to earlier that month. Regardless, only the A-Side makes it into the final cut of the movie. The single heads to #1, their ninth in the US.

May 11, 1965 - The Beatles wrap up filming Help!.

Last edited:
    June 1965 - July 1965
  • Wouldn't this butterfly away everything, starting with Help! and then Rubber Soul? Both of those albums, and Revolver, too, were heavily influenced by pot. This would also affect the Beach Boys... There'd be no inspiration for Pet Sounds as we know it.

My thinking is that since two of the group got turned on to pot, the influence of such would still exist. I also want to have all the OTL albums mostly untouched except for the slight track list changes. Back to the timeline:

June 2, 1965 - John, George, and Ringo attend the premiere of Richard Lester's film The Knack ...And How To Get It at the London Pavilion theatre. Lester was director on both of The Beatles' films.

June 11, 1965 - An announcement is made that The Beatles are to be awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire. British PM Harold Wilson nominated them for the award. Wilson also is an MP for Huyton, Merseyside. This is seen as an attempt for him to appear in touch with the younger generation, even though the voting age in Britain at the time is 21. Not everyone is happy with the decision, including a few previous recipients who return their medals in protest. One of them, Canadian MP Hector Dupuis, complains about being "on the same level as vulgar nincompoops".

June 14, 1965 - The album Beatles VI is released in the US as Capitol 2358. This album consists of tracks from Beatles For Sale that were left off Beatles '65, along with both tracks from their latest single ("Ticket To Ride" and "Yes It Is") and two track from the upcoming UK Help! album. The album goes to #1, their fifth in the US.

June 20, 1965 - The Beatles commence a tour of Europe in Paris.

June 24, 1965 - John Lennon's second book, A Spaniard In The Works, is published. Like the previous book, it contains stories and drawings, all created by John.

July 3, 1965 - The Beatles wrap up their European tour in Barcelona.

July 19, 1965 - "Help!" b/w "I'm Down" is released in the US as Capitol 5476. The B-Side was written to be a replacement for their usual closing number for their live performances, "Long Tall Sally". The single goes to #1, their 10th in the US.

July 23, 1965 - "Help!" b/w "I'm Down" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5305. The single heads to #1, their 9th straight in the UK.

July 1965 - August 1965 ("Help!" released)
  • July 29, 1965 - The film Help! has its royal premiere at the London Pavilion theatre.

August 6, 1965 - The album Help! is released in the UK. As was the case with the A Hard Day's Night album, it contains songs from the movie plus others recorded over the last few months. The album takes the #1 spot on the UK Albums chart, becoming their fifth straight #1 album. Note: Only Ringo's number has been changed from OTL.

"Help!"
    Parlophone 1255

SIDE 1
    1. Help!
    2. The Night Before
    3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    4. I Need You (Harrison)
    5. Another Girl
    6. You're Going To Lose That Girl
    7. Ticket To Ride

SIDE 2
    1. If You've Got Trouble
    2. It's Only Love
    3. You Like Me Too Much (Harrison)
    4. Tell Me What You See
    5. I've Just Seen A Face
    6. Yesterday
    7. Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams)

August 13, 1965 - The album Help! is released in the US as Capitol 2386. As was the case with the US A Hard Day's Night album, it more resembles a soundtrack album than a proper Beatles album. The tracklist includes songs from the film plus orchestra instrumentals by the George Martin Orchestra. On the same day, The Beatles travel to New York to commence a tour of the US, performing mostly at baseball stadiums.

August 15, 1965 - The Beatles open their US tour performing at Shea Stadium in New York City.

August 24, 1965 - During some down time from their tour in Los Angeles, George and Ringo take LSD with Peter Fonda and The Byrds. John and Paul do not partake.

August 27, 1965 - The Beatles meet Elvis Presley at his mansion in Los Angeles.

August 31, 1965 - The Beatles wrap up their American tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

September 1965 - December 1965 ("Rubber Soul" released)
  • September 13, 1965 - "Yesterday" b/w "If You've Got Trouble" is released in the US as Capitol 5498. The Beatles do not release the song in the UK, fearing that it would affect their image as a rock 'n' roll group. The single becomes their 11th #1 hit in America. Note: This is first single that has been changed from OTL. In OTL, the B-Side was "Act Naturally". That same day, Zak Starkey is born to Maureen and Richard (Ringo) Starkey at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London.

September 25, 1965 - The Beatles cartoon series debuts on ABC in the US.

October 26, 1965 - The Beatles receive their MBEs at Buckingham Palace in London.

December 3, 1965 - The album Rubber Soul is released in the UK. The album marks a transitional period for the band as they begin to move away from the Mersey sound and experiment with new styles of music. Especially prominent is "Norwegian Wood" which uses an Indian sitar, and "In My Life" which has a harpsichord solo (actually a sped up recording of a piano). The album heads to #1, becoming their sixth straight is as many releases. Note: This album remains unchanged from OTL. On the same day, "We Can Work It Out" b/w "Day Tripper" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5389. This is their first double A-side single. Not surprisingly it goes to #1. That makes 10 #1 hits in the UK for the group. Lastly, The Beatles kick off a tour of the UK in Glasgow. This will be the final time they tour in their home country.

"Rubber Soul"
    Parlophone 1267

SIDE 1
    1. Drive My Car
    2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    3. You Won't See Me
    4. Nowhere Man
    5. Think For Yourself (Harrison)
    6. The Word
    7. Michelle

SIDE 2
    1. What Goes On (Lennon-McCartney-Starkey)
    2. Girl
    3. I'm Looking Through You
    4. In My Life
    5. Wait
    6. If I Needed Someone (Harrison)
    7. Run For Your Life

December 6, 1965 - The album Rubber Soul is released in the US as Capitol 2442. This is the first Beatles album to be released by Capitol that has the same name as it's UK counterpart. Capitol once again alters the content of the album, inserting two songs left off the US Help! album ("I've Just Seen A Face" and "It's Only Love") and removing four songs from the UK version of the album. That same day, "We Can Work It Out" b/w "Day Tripper" is released in the US as Capitol 5555. The A-Side goes to #1 (their 12th in the US) and the B-Side tops out at #5 in Billboard.

December 12, 1965 - The Beatles wrap up their UK tour in Cardiff, Wales.

January 1966 - March 1966
  • January 10, 1966 - "Woman" b/w "Wrong From The Start" by Peter & Gordon is released in the US as Capitol 5579. The A-Side was written by Paul McCartney under the name of Bernard Webb. He did this to see if the song would still chart despite not having the Lennon-McCartney songwriting credit on it. It goes on to peak at #14 in Billboard. Over a month later, the single is released in the UK as Columbia DB7834, where it stalls at #28.

January 21, 1966 - George Harrison marries Pattie Boyd at the Epsom Register Office in Surrey, England. Paul McCartney is the best man. Brian Epstein is also in attendance along with Pattie's family. John and Ringo can't attend due to them being on vacation at the time.

February 3, 1966 - Paul McCartney meets Motown singer Stevie Wonder at the Scotch Of St. James club in London.

February 21, 1966 - "Nowhere Man" b/w "What Goes On" is released in the US as Capitol 5587. Both tracks were left off the US version of the Rubber Soul album. The single goes to #1 in Record World becoming their 13th #1 hit (taking into account all three major music trade magazines). The B-Side charts modestly at #81 in Billboard.

March 4, 1966 - An article about John Lennon written by Maureen Cleave titled "How Does A Beatle Live?" is published in the London Evening Standard. It contains the following paragraph which will soon become notorious:

"Experience has sown few seeds of doubt in him: not that his mind is closed, but it's closed round whatever he believes at the time. 'Christianity will go,' he said. 'It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first – rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.' He is reading extensively about religion."

March 15, 1966 - The Beatles fail to win any Grammy awards despite being nominated for ten of them. Note: The group received the nominations on February 13th, over a half a month before the article about John was published. Therefore, the above paragraph had no influence on the Grammys.

Last edited:
    March 1966 - June 1966
  • March 25, 1966 - In a classic example of "what were they thinking?", The Beatles take the infamous "butcher" album cover photo. The photo depicts the group dressed as butchers with doll parts and pieces of raw meat placed around them. What could possibly go wrong?

April 21, 1966 - While recording one of George's songs for the upcoming album, "Taxman", George demands to have four of his songs on the upcoming album after having had two each on the previous two albums. Both John and Paul are skeptical about this, but ask George to come up with three new songs. Note: Of course two of them will be "Love You To" and "I Want To Tell You". However I can't think of a fourth one. Any suggestions, guys?

May 1, 1966 - The Beatles perform at the NME Poll Winners Show in Wembley, London. This will be the last time they perform live in the UK this decade.

May 16, 1966 - During a recording session in which the group further works on "Taxman" along with "For No One", George presents the three songs he has written to the rest of the group: "Love You To", "I Want To Tell You", and "Isn't It A Pity". George writes later on: "After I finished playing the last song [Isn't It A Pity], John looked genuinely impressed, something I wasn't expecting at all. It was obvious Paul approved as well. After looking back at Paul and then back to me, John said with a smile "You know, you write songs bloody damn well. Guess what? You can have your four songs". I was genuinely surprised. Me having four songs on the album was something I'd never thought that John and Paul would approve of, being the primary songwriters of the group. But approve of it they did." Note: Thanks for the suggestions guys!

May 30, 1966 - "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" is released in the US as Capitol 5651. The A-Side is their first single release that isn't a love song, showing their growing maturity as a group. The single becomes their 14th total #1 hit in the US (taking into account all three music trade magazines). The B-Side charts the highest in Billboard at #23.

June 10, 1966 - "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5452. The single goes to #1, becoming their 11th UK #1 hit.

June 15, 1966
    - The album Yesterday... And Today is released in the US as Capitol 2553. The album's tracklist consists of songs left off both the Help! and Rubber Soul albums as well as tracks from two of their recent US singles. The infamous "butcher" photo is used as the album cover initially, but after public outcry, Capitol pulls the album and substitutes a much tamer album cover.

June 24, 1966 - The Beatles commence a brief world tour in Munich, Germany.

Last edited:
    July 1966 - August 1966 ("Revolver" released)
  • Thus breaks a huge frustration for George.. I'm guessing we see more George per album from here on?

I'll certainly try to fit more George wherever I can.

July 4, 1966 - The Beatles play to the biggest crowds of their touring career at Rizal Memorial Football Stadium in Manila, The Phillipines. The afternoon show is attended by 30,000 people, while the evening show has 50,000 in attendence. The Phillipines have been under the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos since the end of last year. Earlier that day, The Beatles inadvertently snubbed the Philippine first lady, Imelda Marcos. A reception with the first lady followed by a luncheon in their honor had been planned for the group, but they had not been made aware of it. This causes public hostility towards the group to rise. The following day, the people of the Philippines go out of their way to make the group's lives miserable. This is further detailed on the Beatles Bible website here.

July 29, 1966 - The American teen magazine Datebook publishes John's comments about Christianity from the article published in the UK back in March. However, the remarks are published outside of their original context. The magazine sells a million copies. While the remarks bothered virtually no one in the UK, they cause a furor among some Christian fundamentalists in the US. Some radio stations ban Beatles music, and bonfires of Beatles records and memorabilia become common. These protests are mostly concentrated in the southern US. Even worse, members of the group begin to receive death threats aimed at them and their families. This causes the group to go into damage control mode with another US tour looming.

August 5, 1966 - The album Revolver is released in the UK. This album cements the group's seriousness in wanted to experiment with different kinds of music. It also marks the rise of George as a third songwriting force within the group, as he has four songs on the album, two of which open and close the album. Revolver becomes their seventh consecutive #1 album in the UK. Note: The version of "Isn't It A Pity" on this album is obviously much shorter than the one released in OTL. That track replaces "Tomorrow Never Knows" since John never got into drugs ITTL. On the same day, "Yellow Submarine" b/w "Eleanor Rigby" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5493. The single becomes their 12th #1 UK hit.

"Revolver"
    Parlophone 7009

SIDE 1
    1. Taxman (Harrison)
    2. Eleanor Rigby
    3. I'm Only Sleeping
    4. Love You To (Harrison)
    5. Here, There, And Everywhere
    6. Yellow Submarine
    7. She Said She Said

SIDE 2
    1. Good Day Sunshine
    2. And Your Bird Can Sing
    3. For No One
    4. Doctor Robert
    5. I Want To Tell You (Harrison)
    6. Got To Get You Into My Life
    7. Isn't It A Pity (Harrison)

August 8, 1966 - The album Revolver is released in the US as Capitol 2576. Omitted from the US version album are three songs that were already issued on the Yesterday... And Today album ("I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Doctor Robert"). That same day, "Yellow Submarine" b/w "Eleanor Rigby" is released in the US as Capitol 5715. The A-Side goes to #1 in two of the three major music trade magazines in the US, defying the controversies surrounding the butcher cover and John's out-of-context remarks. The B-Side makes the Top 20.

August 11, 1966 - The Beatles travel to Chicago to commence a tour of the US. In Chicago the next day, the group holds a press conference in which John clarifies his remarks which are still causing much controversy.

August 21, 1966 - The Beatles perform at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The concert takes place during a heavy rainstorm. In an effort to protect the musicians, a makeshift canopy is hung over the stage. Despite this, water drips onto the amplifiers below. It is because of this incident that Paul becomes convinced that the group should stop touring. The other members of the group had already been convinced of this.

August 1966 - November 1966
  • August 29, 1966 - The Beatles perform the last concert of their last US tour of the decade at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

September 6, 1966 - To prepare for his role in the Richard Lester directed film How I Won The War, John is given an army haircut and "Granny glasses" to wear. The glasses become part of John's image for many years.

September 19, 1966 - Filming for How I Won The War commences in Spain.

September 26, 1966 - Brian Epstein is hospitalized after an accidental drug overdose which he recovers from.

November 6, 1966 - John returns to England after wrapping up filming on How I Won The War.

November 7, 1966 - John is invited by a friend to go see a preview that night of an exhibition called Unfinished Paintings by a Japanese avant-garde artist named Yoko Ono. Due to still being jet-lagged after his return from Spain, he politely declines.

November 24, 1966 - The Beatles begin recording songs for their next album, to be called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. On this day they begin work on John's song "Strawberry Fields Forever". Stepping away from touring allows the group to experiment with much more complex music. Note: What George Harrison songs should I consider adding to the album? In OTL George got only one song on the album. I'd like him to have at most three ITTL.

November 1966 - March 1967
  • November 27, 1966 - John Lennon films a skit for the BBC TV comedy show Not Only... But Also which is broadcast on December 26. This is the first time John is seen wearing his signature granny glasses.

January 30, 1967 - The Beatles begin filming a promotional video for a song off their upcoming single, "Strawberry Fields Forever".

February 5, 1967 - The Beatles begin filming a promotional video for the other song off their upcoming single, "Penny Lane".

February 13, 1967 - "Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever" is released in the US as Capitol 5810. The single enters the US charts immediately and goes to #1, their 16th total. The B-Side also becomes a big hit, peaking at #8 in Billboard.

February 17, 1967 - "Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5570 as a double A-Side. Surprisingly the single does not make it to the top spot, falling just short at #2 behind Engelbert Humperdinck's "Release Me (And Let Me Love Again)". This is their very first single not to peak at #1 in the UK.

March 30, 1967 - The Beatles do a photo shoot for their upcoming Sgt. Pepper album.

April 1967 - June 1967 ("Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" released)
  • April 25, 1967 - With Sgt. Pepper completed, The Beatles begin recording songs for their upcoming film and EP/Album, Magical Mystery Tour. They begin work on the title track on this particular day.

May 15, 1967 - Paul McCartney meets photographer Linda Eastman at the Bag O'Nails nightclub during a performance by singer Georgie Fame.

June 1, 1967 - The album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is released in the UK. The album features the group's most complex music to date, two prime examples being "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" and " A Day In The Life". The first two songs are connected together to make a medley. The groups efforts at musical experimentation have reached a fever pitch. The album becomes their eighth #1 album in the UK. Note: It was a bit hard for me to decide which songs on the album to replace with George's songs, with there being so many masterpieces. I decided in the end to have "Only A Northern Song" replace "Getting Better" and "It's All Too Much" to lead into the reprise. Lastly, I know you all will be after me for keeping "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds". John said himself in OTL that the song was inspired by a drawing his son Julian made and not drugs, so it stays.

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
    Parlophone 7207

SIDE 1
    1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    2. With A Little Help From My Friends
    3. Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
    4. Only A Northern Song (Harrison)
    5. Fixing A Hole
    6. She's Leaving Home
    7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

SIDE 2
    1. Within You Without You (Harrison)
    2. When I'm Sixty-Four
    3. Lovely Rita
    4. It's All Too Much (Harrison)
    5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
    6. A Day In The Life

June 2, 1967 - The album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is released in the US as Capitol 6253. For the first time, Capitol does not mess around at all with the content of the album, releasing it in the same form as in the UK. The only difference is that the US release does not have the run out groove craziness at the end of Side 2. The album becomes the group's 10th #1 album in the US.

June 25, 1967 - The Beatles perform "All You Need Is Love" on the worldwide live television broadcast Our World.

Last edited:
    July 1967 - September 1967
  • A thing to consider later on is whether to make George give up smoking.

That's coming up pretty soon.

July 7, 1967 - "All You Need Is Love" b/w "Baby You're A Rich Man" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5620. This is the group's first single to specifically credit George Martin as the producer. The single heads immediately to #1, their 13th in the UK.

July 17, 1967 - "All You Need Is Love" b/w "Baby You're A Rich Man" is released in the US as Capitol 5964. The song becomes their 17th #1 hit in the US

July 19, 1967 - The Beatles discuss buying an island in Greece for them to live on together. The island would have four villas along with a recording studio and entertainment center. This plan is never realized.

August 19, 1967 - Jason Starkey is born to Maureen and Richard (Ringo) Starkey at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London.

August 27, 1967 - Brian Epstein nearly dies of a drug overdose at his house in London. His butler, Antonio, finds him in his bedroom in great distress and has him rushed to the hospital, where doctors are able to save his life.
    Ringo, interview in Esquire Magazine, published February 1979: "I remember that a friend called me up that night and said 'Brian's in the hospital'. I asked, 'For what?' He said "Overdose'. That's all the information I needed. We all gathered there and the doctor told us his condition was stable but that he had a long way to go before could get released. Seeing Brian there in the hospital bed shook me like nothing else. I talked to George the next day and we both agreed we needed to stop doing drugs. I remember saying that 'if these drugs nearly killed our manager, what do you think is going to happen to us?'

September 11, 1967 - The Beatles begin filming the television movie Magical Mystery Tour.

September 1967 - December 1967 ("Magical Mystery Tour" released)
  • Maybe the Fabs get two regular albums in 68?
    That's certainly a possibility. However, I have no idea about album titles. I wasn't expecting to have to do ITTL albums this early on. But anyway, on with the timeline:

September 24, 1967
    - Brian Epstein is released from the hospital after a nearly month-long recovery from his near-fatal drug overdose. He tells reporters gathered outside that the experience was a huge wake-up call for him and that "those drugs can go to hell for what they almost did to me. I'm never touching those bloody things again, mark my words."

October 18, 1967 - The Beatles along with their significant others attend the premiere of John's film How I Won The War at the London Pavilion theatre.

November 3, 1967 - The Beatles wrap up filming Magical Mystery Tour.

November 24, 1967 - "Hello Goodbye" b/w "I Am The Walrus" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5655. The single becomes their 14th #1 hit in the UK.

November 27, 1967 - The album Magical Mystery Tour is released in the US. For this album, Capitol goes back to their old ways and changes the release to their liking. In the UK, the songs from the movie are released as an EP. For the US release, Capitol puts all the songs from the EP on Side 1, and on Side 2 they put songs from Beatles singles released that year. The 24-page booklet is carried over from the UK release, however. The album becomes the group's 11th #1 album in America. Note: Barring any suggestions from you guys, this album remains unchanged from OTL. That same day "Hello Goodbye" b/w "I Am The Walrus" is released in the US as Capitol 2056. The single becomes their 18th #1 US hit.

"Magical Mystery Tour"
    Capitol 2835

SIDE 1
    1. Magical Mystery Tour
    2. The Fool On The Hill
    3. Flying (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr)
    4. Blue Jay Way (Harrison)
    5. Your Mother Should Know
    6. I Am The Walrus

SIDE 2
    1. Hello Goodye
    2. Strawberry Fields Forever
    3. Penny Lane
    4. Baby, You're A Rich Man
    5. All You Need Is Love

December 8, 1967 - The EP Magical Mystery Tour is released in the UK as Parlophone MMT 1. As there are six songs in total, it is issued as a double-EP, with the 24-page booklet mentioned earlier.

December 1967 - May 1968
  • December 25, 1967 - Paul McCartney and Jane Asher announce that they are engaged to be married.

December 26, 1967 - The television movie Magical Mystery Tour premieres on BBC 1. The movie is panned by critics and viewers alike.

Would Apple still be set up? Will they still make a record label?

January 22, 1968 - Apple Records, a division of Apple Corps. Ltd., opens it's offices in London. The label is set up as a creative outlet for The Beatles, but other artists are signed to the label as time goes on. The group marks the occasion by announcing that their first album on the new label is already in the works.

February 5, 1968 - John and Cynthia Lennon announce during an interview on BBC TV that they are expecting another child, due in late August. Note: Name ideas anyone?

March 15, 1968 - "Lady Madonna" b/w "The Inner Light" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5675. The single becomes their 15th #1 hit in the UK.

March 18, 1968 - "Lady Madonna" b/w "The Inner Light" is released in the US as Capitol 2138. This single is their first in the US not to make it to the #1 spot in any of the three major music trade magazines. In Cash Box, the single falls just short at #2, holding that position for three nonconsecutive weeks behind "Valleri" by The Monkees, "Young Girl" by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, and "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. This release and the UK release are the last Beatles singles to be issued on the Capitol and Parlophone labels respectively.

May 5, 1968 - Singer Mary Hopkin appears on the TV talent show Opportunity Knocks. She subsequently becomes the first non-Beatles act to sign with Apple Records.

May 11, 1968 - John Lennon and Paul McCartney travel to the US to promote Apple Records.

Note: I was thinking of having the release of "A Doll's House" be in this post but I'm still on the fence about that. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
    May 1968 - June 1968 ("A Doll's House" released)
  • And, hey, doesn't Apple have a FILM division oooooooh?

Yes, yes it does. Let's get back to the timeline shall we?

May 17, 1968 - The album A Doll's House is released in the UK. This is the group's first release on the Apple label. This album is less experimental than their previous two, incorporating more folk and rock songs to the mix. George's presence as a songwriter is apparent once again. Ringo also sings on two songs. The album is a smash hit, heading to #1 to become their ninth such album in the UK. Note: Thus, the first ITTL album of this timeline is born. Also I think I got most of the studio-friendly songs from the OTL White Album.

"A Doll's House"
    Apple 01

SIDE 1
    1. Glass Onion
    2. Rocky Raccoon
    3. Sour Milk Sea (Harrison)
    4. The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
    5. Blackbird
    6. Savoy Truffle (Harrison)
    7. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

SIDE 2
    1. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    2. Don't Pass Me By (Starkey)
    3. Piggies (Harrison)
    4. Sexy Sadie
    5. Not Guilty (Harrison)
    6. I'm So Tired
    7. Good Night

May 20, 1968 - The album A Doll's House is released in the US as Apple 2891 (Apple releases in the US have Capitol catalog numbers). Capitol once again alters the content of the album, inserting both sides of the group's latest single. "Lady Madonna" replaces "Bungalow Bill" on Side 1, and "The Inner Light" replaces "Piggies" on Side 2. The album goes to #1 to become their 12th such album in the US.

June 18, 1968 - A stage play based on John Lennon's book In His Own Write premieres at the Old Vic Theatre in London. John attends the premiere, as do George and Ringo with their wives. Paul is absent as he is attending the opening of a play starring his fiance, Jane Asher.

June 22, 1968 - The Beatles buy a five-story building at 3 Savile Row in London to be the new headquarters of Apple Corps Ltd. The company will move there on July 15.

June 1968 - September 1968
  • Who's Sexy Sadie about ITTL, given that the Beatles have presumably yet to run into the Maharishi, let alone have John sour on him?

I imagine that ITTL the song is about some prostitute they ran into while they were in Hamburg. Also, thanks Lafayette_ for the thoughts. As I explained to MatthewFirth:

ITTL, songs such as that come out of a desire by the group to experiment with their music and also to capitalize on the growing popularity of psychedelic rock music. The public at large does not know (yet) that the group has sworn off drugs. They only know that Brian Epstein has.

With that out of the way, let's find who John's child is, shall we?

June 23, 1968 - Paul McCartney and photographer Linda Eastman meet again in Los Angeles. Paul considers having her be the group's official photographer.

July 8, 1968 - The Beatles attend a press screening of the animated movie Yellow Submarine. The movie has it's world premiere nine days later.

July 28, 1968 - The Beatles do a shoot for a photo series called The Mad Day Out. The pictures are taken by esteemed war photographer Don McCullin.

July 31, 1968 - The Apple Boutique in London closes.

August 21, 1968 - George and Pattie Harrison return from a vacation to Greece. George subsequently informs the group about a band he discovered there named Aphrodite's Child who are looking to sign with a new label. He suggests that they consider signing them to Apple Records.

August 26, 1968 - "Hey Jude" b/w/ "Revolution" is released in the US as Apple 2276. This is their first single in the US to be released on the Apple label. The song is a monster hit, topping the charts for nine consecutive weeks in Billboard. It is their 19th US #1 hit single.

August 30, 1968 - "Hey Jude" b/w/ "Revolution" is released in the UK as Apple R 5722 (Apple releases in the UK have Parlophone catalog numbers). The song is a smash hit in the UK as well, topping the charts there and becoming their 16th #1 UK hit.

September 8, 1968
    - Mimi Lennon is born to John and Cynthia Lennon at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London. John attends the birth, as well as his mother Julia. Julia once again serves as Cynthia's encouragement through the ordeal. John names his daughter after his aunt, Mimi Smith, who he had good relations with growing up in Liverpool. Note: I actually flipped a coin to determine if it was a boy or a girl. Had the coin come up heads, it would have been Sean.

September 1968 - November 1968 ("The Beatles" released)
  • September 30, 1968 - A biography of the The Beatles by Hunter Davies is published.

October 16, 1968 - George Harrison flies to Los Angeles to produce the debut album of Apple artist Jackie Lomax.

October 20, 1968 - Paul McCartney marries Jane Asher at the Caxton Hall Register Office in London. John Lennon is the best man. Also in attendance are Brian Epstein, Ringo, and John's mother Julia. Only George is absent. After the wedding, the couple travels to New York to begin their honeymoon. Note: In OTL, Jane Asher broke off the engagement in July after discovering Paul with another woman. ITTL, Linda Eastman will more than likely become the group's official photographer.

November 10, 1968 - While honeymooning in the US, Paul McCartney is contacted by John Fogerty, the lead singer of the up-and coming American group Creedence Clearwater Revival. Fogerty says that he has become frustrated with the band's current label over artistic control and expresses interest in signing with Apple Records. Paul says he is very interested in signing them, but must discuss the matter with the other Beatles members.

November 21, 1968 - George Harrison takes part in a recording session for the song "Badge" by Cream, written by him and band leader Eric Clapton.

November 22, 1968 - The album The Beatles, more popularly known as the "White Album" due to it's lack of any cover art, is released in the UK. This album marks a shift in the group's music, from experimental and studio-friendly to straight-away rock. This is also the group's first album with an outside contributor, with Eric Clapton providing the guitar solo in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The Beatles becomes the groups 9th #1 album in the UK. Note; This album comprises the more rock-oriented songs from the OTL White Album.

"The Beatles" (White Album)
    Apple 7067-8

SIDE 1
    1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
    2. Dear Prudence
    3. Wild Honey Pie
    4. Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    5. Yer Blues
    6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
    7. Julia

SIDE 2
    1. Helter Skelter
    2. Revolution
    3. Mother Nature's Son
    4. Long Long Long (Harrison)
    5. Cry Baby Cry
    6. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
    7. Birthday

November 25, 1968 - The album The Beatles is released in the US as Apple 101. Capitol substitutes "Hey Jude" for "Wild Honey Pie" on Side 1 for the American release. The album goes straight to #1 becoming their 13th such album in the US.