The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

December 1968 - February 1969
  • Perhaps in 1969, the Fabs could get that itch to tour again and invest in a real, honest to goodness amp/PA system. Can you just picture them using big Marshall and Hiwatt stacks of amps?

At the moment I'm not thinking of having The Beatles do any tours until after 1970, in keeping with my goal of having things mostly play out like they did in OTL up to that year. If someone makes a good case for it, I'll certainly consider it. Back to the timeline:

December 4, 1968 - A representative from Apple Records' US division offices in New York calls John Fogerty to inform him that Creedence Clearwater Revival has been signed to the Apple label. CCR becomes the first non-British act to sign with the label.

December 27, 1968 - The Beatles officially sign the Greek band Aphrodite's Child to a contract with Apple Records. The contract does not go into effect until January 1st.

January 2, 1969 - The Beatles begin recording sessions for an upcoming album to be called Get Back.

January 13, 1969 - The soundtrack album to Yellow Submarine is released in the US as Apple 153. The album contains the six songs from the film on Side 1, and instrumentals by the George Martin orchestra on Side 2. The album falls short of the top spot behind the White Album which is still at #1.

January 17, 1969 - The soundtrack album to Yellow Submarine is released in the UK as Apple 7070. The album does not make it to the top of the album chart in the UK either, falling short at the #3 spot.

January 30, 1969 - The Beatles perform a concert on the roof of the Apple headquarters building in London. This is their first live performance in about two-and-a-half years. During this "concert", they takes of several songs they are considering for inclusion on the upcoming album.

February 11, 1969 - George and Pattie Harrison announce in a statement to the press that they are expecting their first child, due in October. Note: Name suggestions, anyone?

February 1969 - May 1969
  • Also I take it Billy Preston was also at the rooftop concert?

Yes, he certainly was.

Any chance of them catching up with the King in Vegas after 1970?

Sounds interesting, it's definitely a possibility. Also, sorry for the delay.

February 13, 1969 - The launch party for Apple artist Mary Hopkin's debut album Postcard is held in London. Paul is the only Beatle present, along with his wife Jane. Eric Clapton also attends.

February 18, 1969 - The Beatles announce that due to problems encountered during the recording sessions in January, the Get Back album has been delayed and a different album will be released later in the year.

March 4, 1969 - George Harrison is interviewed by David Wigg for the BBC radio show Scene And Heard:
    Wigg: With the recent shift in The Beatles' music we've seen on your last two albums, many people are wondering whether you and the rest of the group are considering touring again. As you know, when you did the rooftop recording session over a month ago, there were crowds gathered in the street below. People still want to hear you play your music live. So, can you say whether the group will return to touring?

Harrison: Well, you see David, the primary reason we stopped touring in the first place was because we could barely hear ourselves above all the screaming. But now I hear that more bigger and higher powered amps are being made. Not only that, but sound systems for live performances are getting much more elaborate and louder than before. So, yes, I think it is possible for us to return to touring eventually.

Wigg: That's certainly good to hear. What's also good to hear is what we heard last month from you and Pattie that you're expecting your first child. Pardon me for asking but do you want it to be a boy or a girl?

Harrison: You know, I think I want it to be healthy. (laughs)

March 15, 1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival's single "Proud Mary" reaches the #1 spot in Record World and Cash Box magazines, becoming the first non-Beatles Apple single to top the charts in the US. Note: In OTL, the single only made it to #1 in Record World. I decided to factor in the added popularity from Apple being associated with The Beatles.

April 11, 1969 - "Get Back" b/w "Don't Let Me Down" is released in the UK as Apple R 5777. This is the last Beatles single to be released in mono. The single goes to #1, their 17th UK single to do so.

May 5, 1969 - "Get Back" b/w "Don't Let Me Down" is released in the US as Apple 2490. This is the first Beatles single to be released in stereo. The song tops the charts later on in the month to become their 20th #1 US hit.

May 1969 - August 1969
  • This will be the last timeline post for more than a week. I'm going on a trip with my family that will take me away from the internet for the most part. I will be returning next Tuesday night, so the next timeline post from me will come after that.

May 8, 1969 - John Lennon is interviewed by David Wigg for the BBC radio show Scene And Heard:
    Wigg: We heard back a few months ago that the album you were working on at the beginning of the year has been delayed. Can you tell me what happened?

Lennon: David, all it was was that things weren't really coming together as we had hoped. We decided after a while that we weren't about to give a subpar product to our fans and the record buying public at large, so we delayed the album. But don't worry, we still have an album on the way this fall.

May 30, 1969 - "The Ballad Of John and Cynthia" b/w "Old Brown Shoe" is released in the UK as Apple R 5786. The A-Side is a song summarizing various events that occurred in their married life to that point, such as the births of Julian and Mimi and being hounded by the press and fans. The song becomes their 18th #1 UK single. Note: Obviously in OTL, the title was "The Ballad Of John and Yoko". This is the second single release to be affected by the changes ITTL.

June 4, 1969 - "The Ballad Of John and Cynthia" b/w "Old Brown Shoe" is released in the US as Apple 2531. The single less well-received in the US as many radio stations refuse to play it due to use of the word "Christ" in the chorus. Despite this, the single does fairly well, making it as high as #7 in Record World.

August 2, 1969 - Paul McCartney produces the recording of his song "Come And Get It" by the band then known as The Iveys.

August 8, 1969 - The Beatles do a photo shoot for the cover of their upcoming album to be called Abbey Road. The principle photographer is Iain McMillan, but Linda Eastman is also present and takes several photographs of her own.

August 22, 1969 - The Beatles do another photo shoot, this time at John and Cynthia Lennon's home, Tittenhurst Park.

Note: The Abbey Road album will be released in the next timeline post. Any ideas on what George songs to include? As usual I want there to be more than on the OTL album. Anyway, see you all when I get back!

August 1969 - October 1969 ("Abbey Road" released)
  • And now, the first timeline post since I've been back.

August 28, 1969 - A launch party is held at Apple headquarters to celebrate Radha Krsna Temple's debut single, "Hare Krishna Mantra" b/w "Prayer of The Spiritual Masters". The single was produced by George Harrison.

September 17, 1969 - The newspaper of Drake University in Iowa, the Times-Delphic, publishes an article written by student Tim Harper which claims that Paul McCartney is dead and clues to his death are hidden on the group's albums. This kicks off the infamous "Paul is dead" rumor.

September 26, 1969 - The album Abbey Road is released in the UK. This album marks a brief return by the group to studio-friendly experimentation combined with straightaway rock. In a unique twist, the final nine tracks of the album run together to form a medley. Eric Clapton once again is an outside contributor, providing his guitar work to parts of the medley. The album becomes the group's 10th #1 album in the UK. Note: George's song "What Is Life" replaces "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on Side 1 ITTL.

"Abbey Road"
    Apple 7088

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney unless otherwise noted

SIDE 1
    1. Come Together
    2. Something (Harrison)
    3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    4. Oh! Darling
    5. Octopus's Garden (Starkey)
    6. What Is Life (Harrison)

SIDE 2
    1. Here Comes The Sun (Harrison)
    2. Because
    Medley:
    3. You Never Give Me Your Money
    4. Sun King
    5. Mean Mr. Mustard
    6. Her Majesty
    7. Polythene Pam
    8. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    9. Golden Slumbers
    10. Carry That Weight
    11. The End

October 1969 - Aphrodite's Child's first Apple album, It's Five O'Clock, is released.

October 1, 1969 - The album Abbey Road is released in the US as Apple 383. The US release is unaltered from the UK version for only the second time. The album is their 14th #1 album in the US.

October 6, 1969 - "Something" b/w "Come Together" is released in the US as Apple 2654. In a first for the group, both sides of the single are from the Abbey Road album. Also for the first time, a George Harrison song is the A-Side of a single. Come Together makes it to #1 in all three US music trade charts, their 21st in the country. Both sides make it to #1 independently in Record World.

October 14, 1969 - Louise Patricia Harrison is born to George and Pattie Harrison at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London. Note: Again I flipped a coin to determine if it was a boy or a girl.

October 24, 1969 - Paul McCartney makes a statement to the press denying the rumors of his death that have snowballed in the US. He says in part: "If I really was dead, I'd be the last to know".

Last edited:
    October 1969 - March 1970
  • I just realized this but I totally missed the US release of the "Something/Come Together" single. Here it is. I'll be editing it into the previous timeline post.

October 6, 1969 - "Something" b/w "Come Together" is released in the US as Apple 2654. In a first for the group, both sides of the single are from the Abbey Road album. Also for the first time, a George Harrison song is the A-Side of a single. Come Together makes it to #1 in all three US music trade charts, their 21st in the country. Both sides make it to #1 independently in Record World.

And now, on to the timeline post proper:

October 31, 1969
    - "Something" b/w "Come Together is released in the UK as Apple R 5814. The double-sided single makes it to #4 on the UK Singles chart.

November 19, 1969 - Paul and Jane McCartney announce in a press release that they are expecting their first child, due the following summer.

December 11, 1969 - The film The Magic Christian, starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr and featuring Paul McCartney's song "Come And Get It", premieres at the Odeon Theatre in London. The premiere is attended by John and Ringo and their wives along with Princess Margaret.

January 26, 1970 - Ringo and Maureen travel to Los Angeles to attend the US premiere of The Magic Christian.

February 26, 1970 - The album Hey Jude is released in the US as Apple 385. The track list is comprised of non-album singles and B-sides spanning the group's entire career. The compilation was put together by Brian Epstein and Apple Records to serve as a filler album while the group continues to work on last year's delayed album, now called Let It Be.

March 6, 1970 - "Let It Be" b/w "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" is released in the UK as Apple R 5833. The A-Side is the title track from their upcoming album. The single falls short of topping the charts in the UK, only making it to a still respectable #2. Note: In OTL, this was the group's last UK single release of their career.

March 11, 1970 - "Let It Be" b/w "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" is released in the US as Apple 2764. The single makes it to #1, becoming their 22nd in the US.

Last edited:
    March 1970 - May 1970 ("Let It Be" released)
  • Also I'm not clear on one thing about George, did he still get into Eastern mysticism and philosophy? If not a lot of his songs should be quite different as well.

Not as much as he did in OTL On another note, he didn't get full on into Indian music ITTL either. He just liked the sound of it and incorporated it into the group's songs whenever he could (such as in "Norwegian Wood"). Glad to hear you're enjoying the timeline, I'm enjoying it too.

March 12, 1970 - George and Pattie Harrison, along with their daughter Louise, move into their new home at Friar Park in Oxfordshire.

April 10, 1970 - John Lennon releases a statement to the press denying rumors that The Beatles have broken up. The rumors are fueled by the fact that the group has been rarely seen together as of late. John explains that the group is merely taking a much needed break from each other and that they still record together in the studio. Note: In OTL, this was the day that the group's breakup was all but confirmed as it came out that Paul was leaving the group.

May 8, 1970 - The album Let It Be is released in the UK. This album not only continues the back-to-basics rock trend The Beatles have been going on for the last couple of years, it also marks the beginning of the group's experimentation with background vocals and instrumentation, featuring it on two tracks ("Let It Be" and "The Long And Winding Road"). With the approval of the group, George Martin, drawing inspiration from both Phil Spector's wall-of-sound and Chet Atkin's Nashville sound, adds a chorus to "Let It Be" and strings and chorus to "The Long And Winding Road". This adds a bit more depth to the songs. These additions continue to be debated by fans to this day. Let It Be becomes the group's 11th #1 UK album. Note: In OTL, this was the last album of new Beatles material. George's song "The Art Of Dying" replaces "The One After 909" on Side 2 (since that song was already released on With The Beatles). Paul's version of "Come And Get It" has also been added as a sixth track on Side 2.

"Let It Be"
    Apple 7096

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney unless otherwise noted

SIDE 1
    1. Two Of Us
    2. Dig A Pony
    3. Across The Universe
    4. I Me Mine (Harrison)
    5. Dig It (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starkey)
    6. Let It Be
    7. Maggie Mae (arr. Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starkey)

SIDE 2
    1. I've Got A Feeling
    2. The Art Of Dying (Harrison)
    3. The Long And Winding Road
    4. For You Blue (Harrison)
    5. Get Back
    6. Come And Get It (McCartney)

May 11, 1970 - "The Long And Winding Road" b/w "For You Blue" is released in the US as Apple 2832. The single becomes their 23rd #1 hit in the US. The B-Side also charts in Cash Box, reaching the #71 position. This is at a time when both Billboard and Record World have begun listing both sides of a double-sided hit at one chart position. Note: In OTL, this was the group's final single release in the US.

May 18, 1970 - The album Let It Be is released in the US as Apple 34001. As was the case with Abbey Road, this US release is identical to the UK release. The album tops the US album chart to become their 23rd #1 in that country. Note: In OTL, this was their last album release in the US.

May 20, 1970 - The documentary film Let It Be, about the recording of the album and the events surrounding it, premieres at the London Pavilion Theatre. None of The Beatles attend, however Cynthia Lennon and Jane McCartney (who is quite pregnant by this point) are present. Note: In OTL, this was The Beatle's last film release.

Alright everyone, we've come to the point where in OTL, The Beatles were over. So, did I do it? Are The Beatles still together? Assuming that they are, what happens next? I have a few ideas but I'd like to hear some thoughts from you guys.

Last edited:
    June 1970 - August 1970
  • June 6, 1970 - The Beatles release a statement to the press reinforcing the fact that they have not broken up. They announce that they will be taking a break from recording until the middle of the next year at the latest, citing that they have spent eight years almost constantly recording music. The members of the group will make appearances individually during that time. The statement is released eight years to the day from when they first recorded at the Abbey Road studios.

June 15, 1970 - Paul McCartney travels to the US to supervise the mixing of CCR's upcoming album, Cosmo's Factory and discover other possible American bands to sign to Apple.

June 20, 1970 - John Lennon and George Harrison travel to Greece to visit Aphrodite's Child.

July 8, 1970 - Paul returns from the US and presents to the group four American bands that he is considering adding to the Apple roster. They are: Grand Funk Railroad, Crosby Stills & Nash, Fleetwood Mac, and The Four Tops.

July 27, 1970 - James Paul McCartney II is born to Paul and Jane McCartney at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London. John Lennon and his mother Julia attend, as do Brian Epstein and Paul's brother Mike. Now all the members of The Beatles have children.

August 23, 1970 - In an interview on ITV, John Lennon states that he is firmly against the Vietnam War. This is the first time he has spoken publicly on the subject. The statement makes waves on both sides of the Atlantic:
    Lennon: You got all these young guys fighting in the bloody jungle, and for what? For nothing, that's what. That war is unwinnable but they keep fighting and I don't understand why. If the Vietnamese want to become Communist, they will do so. There's nothing anybody can do. I can't support a war where people needlessly die for nothing. It's bloody insane.

August 1970 - November 1970
  • August 26, 1970 - Brian Epstein releases a statement in the wake of some backlash from the comments John made about the Vietnam War. It says that while the rest of the group has known about John's views on the war for a long time, none of the other members or Epstein share that view.

September 5, 1970 - Paul McCartney travels to the New York to support Badfinger on their tour of the US.

September 22, 1970 - Due to one of Badfinger's opening acts not being able to show up to the concert in Pittsburgh, Paul reluctantly volunteers to become an impromptu opening act. He goes to the piano on stage and, with the help of another opening act, performs three songs, "Let It Be", "Hey Jude", and "Fool On The Hill". The crowd reacts quite positively to this and Paul comes to the realization that The Beatles should begin touring again.

October 9, 1970 - John Lennon meets his father, Alf, for the final time at Tittenhurst Park.

October 23, 1970 - "Across The Universe" b/w "Dig A Pony" is released in the UK as Apple R 5870. Both tracks are from the Let It Be album. The single version of the A-Side includes a backing choir and instruments not present on the album version. These were added by George Martin for possible inclusion on the album but were not approved by the group. The song goes to #1 to become their 19th such record in the UK.

October 27, 1970 - "Across The Universe" b/w "Dig A Pony" is released in the US as Apple 2942. The record becomes their 24th #1 US hit.

November 15, 1970 - Paul McCartney returns to England after supporting Badfinger's US tour.

December 1970 - January 1971 (AH newbie woes)
  • Just a correction here - the guitar player (yes, I play guitar - I even played semi-pro in bands for a period of time) in me needs to state that Fleetwood Mac is really NOT an American band - especially during this time period, which was around the time that Peter Green (who was, and still is to an extent a fantastic guitar player [it's too bad that he wound up suffering from major mental illness, that basically wrecked his career]) was about to leave the band. The American element to the band didn't occur until after Peter Green left the band. As it stands, the majority of the band (Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, and Christine Perfect/McVie are British), and they really didn't base themselves out of the US until Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham joined the band in 1974 (ugh!!!, cokehead era Fleetwood Mac!).

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the list's down to just three bands then. Also, sorry everyone for the delay. I was previously using the timeline on beatlesbible.com as a sort-of template. But now that we are past the group's breakup in OTL, the training wheels are off, so to speak and I have to be more creative. Any advice on moving forward without a "template" will be greatly appreciated because as I mentioned in the beginning, this is my first foray into alternate history. Anyway, let's continue:

December 5, 1970 - John Lennon attends a London club and sees a group performing there that immediately catches his interest. The group is led by a rather flamboyant lead singer with an operatic voice who also plays keyboards. John finds out that the group have been performing for only a few months and that they call themselves Queen.

December 17, 1970 - The Beatles receive Grammy nominations for the Let It Be album and it's title track for Album and Record Of The Year respectively.

January 1, 1971 - Crosby, Stills & Nash are formally signed to Apple Records.

And, that's all I can do this time. Any help, guys?

January 1971 - April 1971
  • It appears I totally missed the birth of Ringo's third child, so here is the date which I'll be editing into the appropriate TL post:

November 11, 1970 - Lee Starkey is born to Richard (Ringo) and Maureen Starkey at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London.

And now, let's continue:

January 23, 1971
    - Ringo Starr appears on an interview show on BBC TV in which he discusses his activities during the break from recording, including his film work. When asked whether the group will return to touring, Ringo simply says they've heavily discussed it and that a tour within the next couple of years isn't out of the question.

February 10, 1971 - John and Paul meet at the Apple headquarters to discuss plans for the group's next album.

February 12, 1971 - "Come And Get It" b/w "Two Of Us" is released in the UK as Apple R 5885. This is the group's second (and last) single release during the break. Paul's version of the song sells very well but isn't as popular as Badfinger's version. The single tops out at #8 on the UK Singles chart.

February 16, 1971 - "Come And Get It" b/w "Two Of Us" is released in the US as Apple 3052. The single becomes their first US single to chart outside of the Top Ten in years, peaking at #14 in Billboard.

March 16, 1971 - The Beatles strike out at the Grammy Awards as Simon & Garfunkel take home the Album and Record of the Year awards for the Bridge Over Troubled Water album and it's title track respectively. John reportedly reacts by saying "I can't believe we lost to a bloody folk duo."

April 5, 1971 - In a highly publicized event, The Beatles return to Abbey Road studios to begin recording their next album which is slated to be released early next year. Note: Title ideas, anyone?

Alright, I think I'm getting the hang of this.

May 1971 - August 1971
  • May 1, 1971 - The Beatles release a statement to the press announcing that the title of their upcoming album will be All Things Must Pass with a tentative release date of February 4, 1972.

May 19, 1971 - George Harrison plays a set at a London nightclub to fill in for another act. Similar to when Paul played in Pittsburgh on Badfinger's US tour, the crowd reacts quite positively. He is told by the nightclub's owner that most of the people in attendance were there to see him play. Despite this, George isn't quite sold on The Beatles returning to touring just yet.

July 2, 1971 - John and Cynthia Lennon announce that they are expecting their third child, due in March of next year.

July 24, 1971 - George Harrison and Ringo Starr travel to New York to perform in the Concert For Bangla Desh.

August 1, 1971 - The Concert For Bangla Desh is held at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The highly successful pair of charity concerts features George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Leon Russell, and Badfinger in a temporary supergroup. This is the closest a paying audience has gotten to seeing The Beatles perform live since the group quit touring nearly five years ago. Perhaps because of this, both concerts are sold out within days. George writes many years later:
    George writing in "25 Years Of The Beatles: The Story Through Their Eyes", published 1985: At one point during the concert I could hear some people chanting "Where's John and Paul?" I thought this was strange as they weren't performing with us at all. But then the thought hit me like a ton of bricks. The radio interview with David Wigg, the enthusiastic crowd at the club, and now the people at the concert all pointed to one thing: The Beatles needed to tour again.

August 21, 1971 - Paul McCartney and Brian Epstein are seen together on a beach in Somerset during a break in the sessions for All Things Must Pass. Some witnesses say that Epstein appeared to cozy up to Paul, leading many to speculate about Epstein's sexuality. Paul denies this and explains that him and Brian were just relaxing on the beach. Paul also reinforces the fact that he is already happily married.

September 1971 - October 1971
  • Wow, no responses after I make a TL post. I think that's a first. Anyhow, let's see what happens next.

September 2, 1971 - Brian Epstein holds a press conference at Apple headquarters to address the rampant speculation of the last couple of weeks brought about by the Somerset incident. He starts the presser by making a small announcement about the All Things Must Pass album, which is that the release has been pushed back a week due to small hiccups encountered during the sessions. He then confirms what many people have suspected over the years, that he is gay. Epstein further states that while it may be a surprise to many in the room, it isn't a surprise to either The Beatles or his business associates who've known about it for years. He ends the press conference by saying that he feels that he saw no point in keeping it a secret anymore and that he hopes that the public will be more understanding in the future.

September 8, 1971 - The Beatles do a photo shoot for the cover of All Things Must Pass at George Harrison's home Friar Park.

September 17, 1971 - "I've Got A Feeling" b/w "Octopus's Garden" is released in the UK as Apple R 5920. The A-Side is from Let It Be while the B-Side is from Abbey Road. This single is put together to allow for a regular single release schedule while the group continues to work on All Things Must Pass. The single goes to #12 in the UK, becoming the group's first single to chart outside the Top Ten in that country in almost a decade.

September 21, 1971 - "I've Got A Feeling" b/w "Octopus's Garden" is released in the US as Apple 3193. The group returns to the top ten as the record peaks at #6 in Billboard.

October 12, 1971 - The Beatles wrap up the sessions for All Things Must Pass at Abbey Road studios.

October 1971 - December 1971
  • Two questions. Do you intend to publish the album cover of All Things Must Pass? And will the Beatles be back full time or will they release some solo albums? Knowing that they’re on better terms ITTL, they’ll probably think that they help make each other’s songs better and go back full time, in my opinion.

I have already found a cover for the ITTL version All Things Must Pass:

allthingsmustpass_final.jpg

Also, there is definitely a possibility that some solo albums could happen, maybe after the mid-70s.

Now, on with the timeline:

October 22, 1971 - Aphrodite's Child's double album 666 is released in the UK as Apple 10004. The album features psychedelic and experimental interpretations of passages from the book of Revelation. The album is praised by critics and the record buying public alike as a groundbreaking album. 666 heads to #1 on the UK Albums chart and stays there for 12 weeks.

October 26, 1971 - The album 666 is released in the US as Apple 3380. The album is a critical and commercial success in America as well, going to #1 on the albums chart there for eight weeks.

November 14, 1971 - John Lennon takes Paul McCartney to a performance by Queen at a club in London. John has been observing their maturation as a group for nearly a year and wants to know what Paul thinks about them. Paul is also impressed by the group. After the set, John and Paul go backstage to tell Queen that they are interested in signing them to Apple Records.

November 24, 1971 - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" b/w "Christmas Across The Universe" by John Lennon is released in the UK as Apple R 5930. Both songs were recorded during the sessions for All Things Must Pass. The B-Side is a special Christmas version of "Across The Universe". This is the first time an individual Beatle has released a solo single. Despite it being a limited Christmas-time release, it peaks at #2 on the UK Singles Chart.

December 1, 1971 - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" b/w "Christmas Across The Universe" by John Lennon is released in the US as Apple 1842. Although the single sells very well there, it's status as a limited Christmas-time release hurts it on the charts. It peaks as high as #35 in Record World.

December 25, 1971 - John Lennon, with the help of Paul McCartney and the London Children's Choir, performs "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" on a BBC TV Christmas special.

Last edited:
    January 1972 - March 1972 ("All Things Must Pass" released)
  • Sorry about the delay again folks.

January 21, 1972 - Four weeks before the album is scheduled to be released, Apple Records issues a press release revealing the cover art for All Things Must Pass. They also state that despite the success of 666, Aphrodite's Child has already broken up due to creative differences within the group.

February 10, 1972 - Apple Records holds a launch party for All Things Must Pass at Trader Vic's in London on the eve of the album's release. In attendance are The Beatles, along with their wives and children, as well as Brian Epstein, Mary Hopkin, Jackie Lomax, Queen (who have not been signed to the label yet) and many other invited guests. Everyone in attendance receives a copy of the album.

February 11, 1972 - The album All Things Must Pass is released in the UK. Fans and the record buying public alike have waited over 22 months for new Beatles material and this album does not disappoint. Interestingly, the Lennon-McCartney songwriting credit does not appear. Instead, each song has been written by an individual group member, a product of the eight months the group spent away from each other. The songs also reinforce the fact that The Beatles have moved toward more live-friendly tunes rather than the experimental tinkering the group had been doing the last few years. This fuels rumors that The Beatles may go on tour again. All Things Must Pass tops the UK Albums chart for 10 weeks, becoming their 12th #1 UK album.

"All Things Must Pass"
    Apple 20

SIDE 1
    1. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
    2. All Things Must Pass (Harrison)
    3. Cold Turkey (Harrison-Lennon)
    4. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Harrison)
    5. I'm The Greatest (Lennon)
    6. Another Day (McCartney)
    7. Imagine (Lennon)

SIDE 2
    1. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
    2. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
    3. Apple Scruffs (Harrison)
    4. Oh Cynthia! (Lennon)
    5. It Don't Come Easy (Harrison-Starkey)
    6. The Back Seat Of My Car (McCartney)
    7. Working Class Hero (Lennon)

February 15, 1972 - The album All Things Must Pass is released in the US as Apple 3370. All Beatles album releases in the US from this point forward will be unaltered from the UK version. The album is a smash hit in America, going straight to #1 on the album chart and staying there for 12 weeks. This is their 24th #1 US album.

March 10, 1972 - Sean Lennon is born to John and Cynthia Lennon at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London. John's mother Julia attends the birth, as do Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

March 14, 1972 - The Beatles film a special taped announcement at Abbey Road studios to be aired on BBC TV the following week.

Last edited:
    March 1972 (Beatles comeback tour announced)
  • A short post today/tonight but it's a big one.

March 22, 1972 - The Beatles' special taped announcement which they filmed the previous week airs on BBC TV during primetime:
    The Beatles are seen sitting among their equipment inside Abbey Road's Studio One.

All four Beatles at once: Hello everyone.

Paul picks up a nearby microphone and begins to speak.

Paul: Yes, hello everybody. We are here inside Abbey Road studios in London. For the last five years, this has been a second home to us. During those years we've honed our skills as a studio group, and you all appear to have enjoyed it. Today, however, we have an announcement so special that a simple press release wouldn't do. I'll give the honors of making that announcement to John here, who as you may know started the group all those years ago. [Turns to John] Congratulations on the new baby by the way, John. [Hands John the microphone].

John: Thank you very much, Paul. Anyhow, I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but say it I will. [Chuckles] A lot of you have been asking whether we will tour again. I'm happy to say that the answer is an emphatic "yes". I'd like to announce that we will be launching a world tour next month to promote our latest album. How long has it been since we toured last?

George: [Off mic] I think six or so years.

John: Yes, yes it's been so long. I'm afraid I'll have stage fright. [All laugh as John hands the microphone to Ringo]

Ringo: Anyhow, make sure to keep a lookout for the release of the concert dates. We can't wait to see all of your lovely faces there in the crowd. [Hands the microphone to George]

George: And from me and the rest of the group, we'd like to wish you all a splendid good day.

All four Beatles wave as the tape ends.

March 1972 - April 1972
  • Thursday, March 23, 1972, after school

Across the United States and Canada millions of teenagers apply for jobs as soon as school is out so they can afford tickets to the upcoming Beatles concerts and, for a lot of them, the road trips and motel rooms that will be required to get to the concerts.

Some businesses reported lines of kids that afternoon turning in applications.

While I think that scenario is kind of far fetched, it certainly isn't outside of the realm of reality as according to the notes on the back of the Meet The Beatles album: "In Portsmouth, the queue started 90 hours before the box office opened. Teenagers brought food, drink, blankets and transistor radios, and two determined 16-year-old girls spent four night outside to hold their place in the queue." Also, I can imagine that by this point, The Beatles' audience has matured quite a bit. Still, thanks for the post.

And now, on with the show:

March 23, 1972 - The Beatles' taped announcement airs on TV stations across the US during the afternoon. The announcement elicits excited reactions from both fans and the record buying public at large on both sides of the Atlantic. One fan says during an interview aired on WBBM-TV in Chicago: "I've... We've been waiting for this for a long time. I knew they couldn't hide in the studio forever." The taped announcement makes it way to many other countries in the coming days.

March 27, 1972 - Apple releases the official list of dates for the upcoming world tour, officially known as the All Things Must Pass Tour. However, most people refer to it as The Beatles Comeback Tour. The Beatles will open up the tour in the UK, at Wembley Stadium in London on April 18. After that, the group will play dates at various other UK venues, followed by dates in West Germany, France, US, Canada, Australia, and Japan. Note: Anyone interested in me making an actual list?

March 31, 1972 - "It Don't Come Easy" b/w "All Things Must Pass" is released in the UK as Apple R 5944. This is the second time a song with Ringo on lead vocals as been the A-Side of a Beatles single. The song reaches the #1 spot on the UK Singles chart and stays there for four weeks. This is their 19th #1 UK single and their first in two and a half years. That same day, the American venues on the The Beatles' upcoming tour report that tickets to the concerts have been selling at a very high rate. Some concert dates have already been sold out.

April 4, 1972 - "It Don't Come Easy" b/w "All Things Must Pass" is released in the US as Apple 3295. The record makes it to the #1 spot on all three music trade charts, making this their 24th #1 US single.

April 10, 1972 - The Beatles rehearse for their concert tour at Wembley Stadium in London. John says at one point "Holy hell, we got amplifiers everywhere!" Note: Any ideas as to what the setlist should be?

April 17, 1972 - Before heading out on tour, The Beatles sign Queen to Apple Records.

Last edited:
    All Things Must Pass Tour European Dates
  • Wow, lots of great ideas guys! Guess it's settled then, the next album will be Mind Games Forever.

With The Beatles having been away from live shows since 1966, there's a steep learning curve to climb.. good stuff like having decent onstage monitors & better organisation (green rooms, riders, a more leisurely schedule) will be balanced by challenging stuff (audiences expect more than a 30-minute jaunt through some basic rock'n'roll).. so the first few nights could see some flubs from sheer nerves.

I can see someone forgetting words or chords in a song, maybe the song breaking down.. and then Paul stepping up and saying "Err we didn't quite get that one.. how about an old song instead?" Then leading them into an impromptu "I Saw Her Standing There" to restore confidence mid-show...

Nice idea, but how do I depict that in writing?

Anyway, here are the dates for the European leg of the All Things Must Pass Tour:

UK:
    April 18 - Wembley Stadium, London
    April 22 - The Dell, Southampton
    April 25 - Ashton Gate, Bristol
    April 27 - Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester
    April 29 - St. Andrew's Stadium, Birmingham
    May 1 - Anfield Stadium, Liverpool
    May 4 - Filbert Street, Leicester

West Germany:
    May 8 - Volksparkstadion, Hamburg
    May 11 - Weser-Stadion, Bremen
    May 13 - Mungersdorfer Stadion, Cologne

France:
    May 16 - Parc des Princes, Paris
    May 19 - Stade Leon-Bolee, Le Mans
    May 23 - Stade de Venoix, Caen
    May 27 - Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux
    May 30 - Stadium de Toulouse, Toulouse

All Things Must Pass Tour Setlist
  • Hey everyone. I'd like to let you all know that I haven't abandoned this TL. As usually happens, I've been sidetracked by other interests of mine. Here in the meantime is the revised setlist for the All Things Must Pass tour, which now includes the title song as well as a couple more:

All Things Must Pass Tour Setlist (Revised)

Main set:
    1. Drive My Car
    2. Good Morning Good Morning
    3. I Want To Hold Your Hand (Komm, Gib Mir Diene Hand for dates in West Germany)
    4. My Sweet Lord
    5. Isn't It A Pity
    6. All Things Must Pass
    7. Maybe I'm Amazed
    8. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    9. Hey Jude
    10. Imagine
    11. Across The Universe
    12. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    13. If You've Got Trouble
    14. It Don't Come Easy
    15. She's A Woman
    16. If I Fell (Replaced by Michelle for dates in France)
    17. In My Life
    18. Yesterday
    19. What Is Life
    20. Come And Get It
    21. Love Me Do
    22. She Loves You (Sie Liebt Dich for dates in West Germany)
    23. Apple Scruffs
    24. I'm The Greatest
    25. Get Back
    26. Something
    27. Here Comes The Sun
    28. Back In The USSR
    29. Help
    30. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Eric Clapton solo)
    31. I Feel Fine
    32. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    33. Strawberry Fields Forever
    34. Abbey Road Medley

Encore:

1. Revolution
    2. Helter Skelter

April 1972 (All Things Must Pass tour begins)
  • Alright guys, I think we've waited long enough, so let's see how The Beatles' return to touring went. If there's any narrative you wish to see, please say so.

April 18, 1972 - The Beatles perform their first live concert in front of a paying audience in six years to open the All Things Must Pass tour at Wembley Stadium in London. The concert opens with two short sets by Badfinger and Apple's new signing, Queen. After Queen leaves the stage. nothing happens at first. Then, George begins playing the opening riff of "Drive My Car" from offstage. He continues playing it as the group takes the stage to a thunderous roar by the sellout crowd. Paul goes up to the microphone to begin singing but instead he shouts, "Hello! Can you hear us? I can hear us!". In what is probably a first in group's touring history, both they and the crowd can hear what is being played loudly and clearly. At that point, the opening riff ends and the song begins. After "Drive My Car", the group launches into a substantial setlist featuring songs from the All Things Must Pass album as well as songs from throughout their career. Also, for the first time, the group incorporates crowd participation into the set, especially during "Hey Jude" where they stop playing to allow the crowd to sing the "Na na na naaaa" section.

The Beatles are obviously rusty after a years long hiatus from touring. There are flubbed lines here and there and well as misplayed notes and drum beats, but the group handles it with the humor that they've become known for. For example, George messes up a few notes on the sitar during "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)". After the final chord of the song, John quips, "Sorry all, we're not used to hearing ourselves, you see...". Other than that, the concert goes off without a hitch and the crowd is very energetic. The crowd is also delighted to see Eric Clapton perform the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". After the song, George remarks "Maybe we oughta have him join the group, huh?" and the crowd roars in approval.

The concert seemingly ends with a live rendition of the Abbey Road medley, with members of the London Philharmonic Orchestra providing the extra instrumentation needed. After the triumphant final chord, the groups seems to be getting ready to leave the stage. Suddenly, John starts playing the opening of "Revolution", which fires the crowd up considerably. At the conclusion of that song, the group segues into a high octane rendition of "Helter Skelter". As the song ends, Paul shouts "You've all been a wonderful audience, good night!". After the final chord and a few drum hits, Ringo yells "I've got blisters on my fingers!". The group waves to the crowd and leaves the stage. The group leaves Wembley Stadium to celebrate at a London club before departing for Southampton.

April 22, 1972 - The Beatles perform the second concert of the tour at The Dell in Southampton to yet another sellout crowd. The group adds "The Ballad Of John and Cynthia" to the set due to it's mention of Southampton in the lyrics. There are still a few flubs but otherwise the concert is a success. There will be sellout crowds for the rest of the UK leg of the tour.

April 25, 1972 - The Beatles perform the third concert of the tour at Ashton Gate in Bristol.

April 1972 - May 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 2)
  • April 27, 1972 - Fourth concert of the All Things Must Pass tour at Kingsholm Stadium in Gloucester. Although the concert itself proceeds without incident, the local police have to fight off some rabid fans who try to storm the gates.

April 29, 1972 - Fifth concert of the All Things Must Pass tour at St. Andrew's Stadium in Birmingham. By this point, most of the rust has worn off and there very little noticeable mistakes.

May 1, 1972 - The Beatles return to their hometown to play the sixth concert of the All Things Must Pass tour at Anfield Stadium in Liverpool. For this concert, the group adds "Some Other Guy", "The One After 909" and "Stand By Me" to the setlist. Those songs were staples of their live act at the Cavern Club. Also, during "In My Life", a slideshow of various locations in Liverpool is shown on a screen located behind the group. The screen is also utilized during "Strawberry Fields Forever" to show an image of the gate to Strawberry Field. John takes a moment during the concert to thank his mother, who is in the audience, for all the support she's given to him and the group over the years.

May 2, 1972 - The Beatles spend this off-day from the tour visiting Liverpool, especially the long-since closed Cavern Club and other popular haunts from their youth. Inevitably, photographers approach the group to take shots of them. Fans also approach them seeking autographs. As one of the group's bodyguards tries to keep once such fan away, John says "Let him through, he's only a fan. Why do you think he'd want to harm us?". John then autographs the fan's copies of the All Things Must Pass and Abbey Road albums.

May 4, 1972 - The group plays the last concert of the UK portion of the All Things Must Pass tour at Filbert Street Stadium in Leicester.

Last edited: