Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but a lot of Vickers designs (in other words Carden designs) used the Horstmann type suspension. I'd think it likely that unless the specification requires a Christie type, he'd stick with the system that he knows, which was successful and long lived in UK service, when you consider that it was used on the Centurion and Chieftain post war.

Glyndwr01

Banned
Horizontal Volute Spring is also an option.
1601515740076.png

The horizontal volute spring suspension used on late-model Sherman tanks was a Horstmann design. The two wheels per bogie, two crank arms, springs between the cranks and single mounting point are all evident. This model also includes a shock absorber for further improvements in ride quality.

You're not going to get a Meteor engine any earlier than OTL. That's a state of the art engine and the Air Ministry won't let them go. Like it or not without massive hindsight the Nuffield Liberty is the most likely engine to be used in an early war tank, simply because there is a large effort being put into getting it into production already.

It would probably initially be armoured to roughly the same level as the Crusader, which would keep the weight down and help with not overstressing the engine. All this can be upgraded later as better engines become available.
The RAF is looking at a marine version of the Lion for fast launches ( for rescuing of downed pilots ) so that is an option for a 500hp engine. The "Sea Lion" already exists ( circa 1933 ) and OTL was tweaked up to 600hp by the end of production.

So it is, for 1918. Unfortunately it's now the 30s, so it really doesn't fit any more.

How....dare you SIR!!!!

<to TOG 1 in a 'talking to a cute puppy voice'> Don't listen to the bad man - your perfect - yes you are - yes you are - who is a pretty trench crossing AFV then?

......yes I have been self isolating for 5 months ;)

Didn't they think of putting a 17lber in the TOG at one point? IIRC the one survivor's got a 17lber now. Because TOG 1 was suppose to be a case of 3 x 2lber (one in turret, 1 in each sponson) and a hull mounted 75mm HE gun in the bow a-la Char 1Bis.

We'll get to the TOG and Churchill in due course. Their genesis is in the phoney war and thinking at how they could cross the Siegfried Line. What always surprised me was that after Dunkirk they were still wasting their time dreaming of an assault tank!
Allan

To be fair, the spec of the TOG was basically to build a tank for the possibility of a stalemate in France developing. And if you are hanging over a trench, sponson guns would allow you to fire down both sides.
That requires no more than MGs though, surely?

The RAF is looking at a marine version of the Lion for fast launches ( for rescuing of downed pilots ) so that is an option for a 500hp engine. The "Sea Lion" already exists ( circa 1933 ) and OTL was tweaked up to 600hp by the end of production.
Could be done. Just remember though, if you want the Merlin later, you're going to need to completely redesign the tank to account for the extra 30-odd inches of engine size (the Lion is 57.5" long, the Merlin 88.7"), though I suppose by that time you'll be looking at a new tank anyway.

How....dare you SIR!!!!
I dare because I'm right. Outdated for 1930, and not nearly enough guns for 38000 years in the future.

We'll get to the TOG and Churchill in due course. Their genesis is in the phoney war and thinking at how they could cross the Siegfried Line. What always surprised me was that after Dunkirk they were still wasting their time dreaming of an assault tank!
Well they were going to have to cross it sooner or later, and Churchill did at least serve a useful purpose.

Last edited:
If the Merlin is in production there is no reason that the Meteor cannot be placed in production quickly, it's a cast iron block with lower tolerances so casting facilties that are not up to aeronautical standards can be used, better to scale up a modern engine than rehash an end of life design.

This could be an opportunity for Fairey and Graham Forsyth to get a version of the Prince V12 into production to use as a tank engine, its a good size and lighter than the equivalent Merlin. Importantly according to Lumsdens British aero engines it's completed over 500 hours of bench testing at 420 hp in 1934 so it could be available.

Frank Halford designed engines such as the Napier Rapier and the De Havilland V12s could be used IF sufficient cooling air can blown through the engine deck. If Napier could be persuaded to make a Water cooled Dagger or Rapier it make have some 8ntresting butterfly's beyond just tank engines.

If the Merlin is in production there is no reason that the Meteor cannot be placed in production quickly, it's a cast iron block with lower tolerances so casting facilties that are not up to aeronautical standards can be used, better to scale up a modern engine than rehash an end of life design.

This could be an opportunity for Fairey and Graham Forsyth to get a version of the Prince V12 into production to use as a tank engine, its a good size and lighter than the equivalent Merlin. Importantly according to Lumsdens British aero engines it's completed over 500 hours of bench testing at 420 hp in 1934 so it could be available.

Frank Halford designed engines such as the Napier Rapier and the De Havilland V12s could be used IF sufficient cooling air can blown through the engine deck. If Napier could be persuaded to make a Water cooled Dagger or Rapier it make have some 8ntresting butterfly's beyond just tank engines.

Oh god, a Dagger-powered tank... can we just not? The Dagger was very high-revving and impossibly, unbearably noisy, as in "permanently damaged ground crew's hearing". I think you'd get a mutiny from the test crew.

Oh god, a Dagger-powered tank... can we just not? The Dagger was very high-revving and impossibly, unbearably noisy, as in "permanently damaged ground crew's hearing". I think you'd get a mutiny from the test crew.
It's a lot harder to fit a set of mufflers to an exhaust when its fitted to an aircraft.....

Allan

They did cross it though. If the debacle in France highlighted anything it's that waiting until the last minute to start designing and building the kit you need is a recipe for disaster.

Plus I've always liked the Churchill, put a better engine in it, maybe the repurposed aero engine from the "Cardentine" and it will be even better. Then Black Prince with a meteor, one can only dream of those landing at normandy

Status
Not open for further replies.