Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

XXXXXV:1528
    Barbara was quiet as she often was these days.

Jane watched her sister from where she was leaning against the window, staring down into the palace gardens a million miles away. She could remember when they were children, the way that Barbara went tearing around, the way that she never held back about anything. Their father had hated it, that little spark of wildness that had never seemed to flicker and die within her. Now it seemed as though it had, King Richard had poured cold water on it and not even a flint could bring it back again.

It broke Jane's heart.

"He didn't come to my bed last night," Barbara's voice came quietly, in the privacy of the two of them together. "Richard, he didn't -," Barbara took a shaky breath as Jane crossed the room to put a gentle hand on her sister's shoulder, careful not to touch the tender bruises of last week.

"Bee?" Jane asked quietly.

"Is it terrible?" Barbara murmured, "That I'm relieved, perhaps he's tiring of me?"

"I don't think that's such a terrible thing," Jane murmured, unable to stop herself imagining the idea of taking Barbara away from court. To her husband's home perhaps, where Father wouldn't be. If there was enough space and time then perhaps that little flame that had always marked Barbara would begin to burn again. As bright as her sister's hair. She was sure that she could make some excuse to Father and it was unlikely that Barbara would want to be as Hedingham anyway.

Barbara gave her sister a small smile before paling a little more, "I can't help but turn it over in my head..." She whispered, "If he tires of me...what will he do to me?"

Jane opened her mouth to answer but she was interrupted by a series of violent raps against the door, she'd barely arrived at it before it flew open and there like some avenging valkyrie was Anne Percy, Countess of Northumberland.

"May I help you, Lady Northumberland?" Jane asked, noticing the furious expression in the woman's dark eyes and sliding forward a step in front of her sister.

"Why didn't you warn her?" Anne blurted out, "The King, he went to my sister's bed last night and -," Anne cut herself off, taking a deep breath. "Did you not see him call her? You should see Mary this very morning, I -,"

"Likely she is no worse, Lady Northumberland than my sister has been," Jane said icily, her hackles raised. "I would suggest that you do not come barging in here making accusations in a fit of temper,"

"You should see the state my sister is in,"

"As is mine,"

The two women regarded each other, it was Barbara's voice that finally broke the silence. "Janey. Leave it, please?"

Something different flashed upon Anne's face as though she was seeing Barbara for the first time, for a moment she opened her mouth as though she was about to say something when the door opened and Henry Percy entered.

"If you'll excuse my ill manners," Henry said with a polite nod, "I will make sure my wife does not bother you further, our daughter is still a few months old and Anne is still highly strung after the birth." He laid a gentle hand on his wife's arm, "Anne, I told you this would not solve anything, come Mary is asking for you?"

There was quiet for a long time after the couple had departed and Jane turned to her sister, noticing the familiar blotched look of when Barbara had been crying.

"I'm sorry," Barbara murmured, roughly wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "He always says I look so terrible when I cry,"

Jane took Barbara in her arms, holding her gently as Barbara collected herself.

"It'll all be alright Bee," She soothed, "You'll see,"

Yet there was a sickening feeling in her stomach, one that was getting too hard to ignore.

XXXXXVI: 1528
  • “From the sheer passion of Richard’s love letters, it was never thought that his interest in Barbara would wane. However as 1528 began to progress it was becoming all the more clear that he had taken a significant interest in Lady Carey. Her father Thomas Boleyn was raised to the title of Earl of Wiltshire and Ormond, it would be his son George however who was granted the first dukedom, many years down the line.

The reason given was the same for the family being granted the title of Viscount Rochford. “Services rendered to the crown” though it seemed obvious that the services referred to were not that of Thomas Boleyn’s previous diplomatic ones.

The message was clear, especially to Barbara de Vere who found herself and Mary Carey on the same level. After all they were both now the daughters of an Earl. Some have speculated that it was a deliberate jab at Barbara as the King became incensed at Barbara’s non reaction to his taking of a new mistress.

It was intended to provoke a reaction from her and when none came, it only intensified the King’s rage.

Then one fateful night it all came to a head as Richard III railed against the woman who had once been his beloved. That he could see clearly now, his affection was so thoroughly gone that he must have been enchanted. Barbara’s family had been known for their Lancastrian roots so she must have gone to his bed as both a witch and a spy.

There has often since been debate on whether Richard truly believed all of it, or if a desire to punish Barbara for her apathy and the frenzy he worked himself into had resulted in terrible consequences.

Finally came the chilling words that would seal Barbara’s fate.

Witches must be punished.”

- Richard’s Women: Re Examined

XXXXXVII: 1529
  • “It is said that at night, in this corridor of Westminster, you can still hear the screams of Barbara de Vere echoing down through the years.

She put up a good fight, perhaps befitting the name “the Wild Rose of Hedingham”. She clawed her way past the guards, reportedly she even got to Richard - perhaps hoping that the sight of her would soften his heart to the woman he had once considered even above his own wife.

It was the cold, early months of 1529 when Barbara de Vere was arrested for crimes of witchcraft, high treason and conspiracy against the crown. She was confined to the tower and her trial was prepared, amongst the evidence the King claimed her “traitorous blood” as well as a poppet reportedly from her chambers. Her own family, encouraged by her father would testify against her. The Earl of Oxford stating that he had seen her “plotting to cast wicked spells and other such ungodly things”

The trial itself would have to wait, for a dilemma came to Richard’s doorstep. He was still without an heir and yet an examination of Barbara by the court physician yielded a shocking revelation.

Barbara de Vere, arrested and in the Tower of London was pregnant.”

XXXXXVIII: 1529
  • “It seems almost ironic that Richard longed for a child, yet refused to acknowledge his firstborn. When he retreated to his chambers, the day after the letter arrived from the physician, some at court wondered if the thought of a child at last might prompt him to recall his affection for Barbara.

A year earlier he may have rejoiced, now his anger was so great that he threatened to send his former sweetheart to her death even if she was pregnant.

Mary Carey however managed to talk him out of it, but still Richard denied paternity claiming flippantly that for all he knew she, as a witch would have consorted with demons. He may have denied it but the resemblance between Richard‘s children is evident from surviving portraits and was so great it was remarked upon in the era.

The trial went on, we understand now the charges to have been falsified, but Barbara de Vere was convicted on all counts. She was doomed for execution, Richard was reported to have said that as a witch she must burn.

So in the Tower a clock then began ticking, for Richard proclaimed that she would die as soon as she birthed the child.

That was not all. For news ripples through the court merely days later, Lady Mary Carey was pregnant too.”

XXXXXVIV: 1529
    The Tower of London

"Is she alright?" The young woman in the doorway asked the midwife in a low voice, glancing over to the sleeping figure in the bed. The midwife slowly rose from her position, giving the young woman a nod.

"Aye, she's had a rough night but she got through it and the babe's given some good strong kicks. I'll sit with her a little while longer but it's best that she sleeps for now. Poor lass,"

Bridget Kingston, daughter to William, the Constable of the Tower, almost trembled in the doorway. She was a slight girl in her early teens and she gave the midwife an almost afraid look as she kept her voice lowered.

"Is it true? What they say? That she sired the child with the devil?"

Bessie Davies, a midwife who was too experienced and far too old for the fancies of girls, made an unimpressed noise, "If you believe that child, well then you'll believe anything. She's just a lass, not that much older than you and for all the talk a few years ago of the King's feisty miss - this one doesn't look like she could say boo to a goose,"

"But they said they found the marks of a witch when they examined her! And -,"

"They've told the King what he wants to hear I am in no doubt," Bessie snorted, "He's said he wants to be rid of her, so they've gotten rid of her. She'll have the babe poor lass, if she doesn't have worse luck in between. You mark my words, before long the new one will be in here as well,"

"You can't say that!" Bridget said, her cheeks pink. "The King is -,"

"The King, I'm aware," Bessie said dryly, "You can run to your Da and tell him what I've said and have me punished for it. I'm too old not say how I feel, though I'll hope that you'd wait until Lady Barbara is delivered. She could do with a kind face in these final months,"

Bridget raised herself to her full height, "I..." She said quietly, "Do you think he really will have her burned? And Lady Carey after her? Surely he..."

"When you are older my girl," Bessie said bluntly, "You'll learn the way of the world, he's a man and a king. He's done plenty of things because his ego is bruised. He didn't take the news from Scotland well either a few months ago, that a healthy princess had been born,"

Bridget stayed in silent contemplation for a moment, "I think I will stay with her too? When my father permits but I will try my best to pray for her,"

Bessie somewhat awkwardly patted her on the arm, "There's a thoughtful lass,"

On the bed, her red hair mussed - Barbara de Vere slept quietly if fitfully. It had been a long few months and it would be longer still, yet still she knew that her sleep would not be peaceful. For her time was running out.

XXXXXX: 1529

Dawn had broken with a cry.

It was a beautiful summer morning and as Barbara de Vere looked out of the window, she could feel her heart sink. It was beautiful and her labour pains had started early the previous night. It had been selfish of her to admit it, that she'd wanted to push the baby back in so that she might have more time. So that she might delay the inevitable, it had been no use though and long hours later she'd been gritting her teeth and pushing as hard as she could.

"Good girl," Bessie Davies clicked her teeth, "Keep pushing and you'll have your baby in your arms soon,"

Barbara glanced up at her, wanting to burst out with a 'Yes but for how long?'

She gritted her teeth as another contraction came, it felt like far too long but no time at all when a sharp cry pierced the morning air. The baby squalled and Bessie took the child as Barbara sank back into her sheets, exhausted.

"Good healthy set of lungs on this one," Bessie chuckled, "Congratulations My Lady, you have a bonny daughter,"

"A girl?" Barbara echoed quietly as she held her arms out, somewhat awkwardly taking her newborn as Bessie adjusted her arms so she was holding the child properly.

Barbara didn't have much experience with babies, she'd been close in age with her siblings and she'd not spent that much time with Jane once she'd delivered her first child. The King had refused to let her go and she didn't want to impose the King's presence on Jane. Still as she glanced down at her daughter, she felt a swell of love in her chest along with a sick, sad, awful feeling of regret.

Her daughter would never know her face, never toddle to her and call her 'Mama'.

Tears began to well up in her eyes, out of exhaustion and frustration until a voice broke her thoughts.

"Have you thought of a name for her?"

Barbara admittedly hadn't, but she thought now of what she was leaving behind. A legacy as the King's lady turned witch, of a daughter that would never know her.

"Constance," She said finally, "So that she might know that the love I bear her is constant, even in death,"

"That's a lovely sentiment, lass,"

A knock at the door came and Bridget Kingston stepped through, "The men are asking...they have the King's orders that the minute the babe is born..."

"The baby has not been born yet," Bessie said firmly and Barbara shot her a look, but the midwife stood firm. "I will tell him myself, they are not allowed in here - this is the place for women. I am the midwife and Lady de Vere has not been delivered yet, but she will have the baby by tomorrow for sure,"

Barbara understood in that instance, even at such a great risk - they were trying to give her time. Even a few hours to spend with her child, as a mother.

"Thank you," She said quietly, Bridget gave her a little sad smile before going out again and closing the door behind her.

Barbara glanced at Bessie, the question slipping out of her as a desire for comfort than anything else. Just an assurance for a woman who was going to her grave.

"Constance...she'll be alright, won't she?"

Bessie gave her a sympathetic smile, "Aye lass, she'll be alright. I promise,"

It was a lie but it comforted Barbara all the same.

Interlude: Barbara de Vere
  • "Barbara de Vere was sentenced to death by burning for witchcraft, high treason and conspiracy against the king.

She was led to her death in July of 1529, her death was reported by witnesses as a 'miserable, torrid affair' though it was noted that she held herself with dignity in her death. That she did not cry out in pain, although she was known to have wept. Bridget Kingston later wrote in her diaries, that "I like to think the Lord took her gently by the hand, for she had already suffered so much,"

Barbara's body was thought to have been buried in the Tower for some years after that, in an unmarked grave.

Except as it later came out that Lady Jane Harris, Barbara's sister who had married a landed knight had ridden frantically to the Tower to claim her niece. Upon arrival at the tower, she had found that Constance had already gone. By the King's orders, she was sent to Lambeth, although he would not acknowledge her and would refuse to even unto death. The household at Lambeth had rumors amongst certain circles of court, they were not incorrect as it turns out. It was not a pleasant place for any of the young women who found themselves living there.

Lady Jane found her niece gone, though she would attempt to fetch her niece - no one would tell her where she was and her repeated attempts were blocked entry. Richard III denied her the chance to see her sister in the tower and for many long years, she would not see any hide or hair of the last bit of Barbara she had.

What she did manage to do however was silently bribe one of the guards, Barbara's remains were transferred to Jane who silently made arrangements.

For quite a few years in the chapel at Hedingham stood a plaque, engraved were the words: In Memory of A Lady. Well Beloved and Now At Peace.

After Richard's death, Constance was acknowledged as the King's daughter and called the Lady Constance Fitzroy. Not long after that, the plaque was updated with a new dedication. Should you visit Hedingham today, you will see the following epigraph - reportedly it was written by Constance herself.

Here Lies Barbara De Vere
    More Forest than Woman
    Everything in Her, Wild, Free and Alive.
    Here She Lies, In Eternal Peace."

- Barbara de Vere, the Wild Rose of Hedingham

Interlude: Family Tree Catch Up
  • It would be a great help if you could post it, It'd help me out, but I might butterfly everyone born post 1506, if you get my drift.....😉

Now that I have your permission, Aurora01 , all I need is @curlyhairedhippie 's permission. What say you, man?!

Your wish is my command ;) Some spoilers ahead...but this is where the main Plantagenet branch is. Obviously Charles Orlando's mother is not Anne of Brittany, if anyone would like to suggest a mother for him I'm all ears ;)

Edward V, King of England
    m. Anne of Brittany
    - Richard III (1491 - 1548)
    m. Eleanor of Austria and had issue.
    - Anne, Queen of France (1492 - 1551)
    m. Charles Orlando of France
    - Lady Beatrice, Nun. (1495 - 1550)
    - Edmund, Duke of Brittany (1499 - 1506)

Richard III (1491 - 1548)
    m. Eleanor of Austria (1498 -)
    had issue.
    w/ Barbara de Vere (1507 - 1529)
    - Lady Constance Fitzroy
    w/ Mary Carey
    had issue.

Anne, Queen of France (1492 - 1551)
    m. Charles Orlando of France (1492 -1523)
    - Lady Madeleine (1513 -)
    m. James V of Scotland
    (had issue, Catherine, Queen of Scots)
    - Charles IX of France (1515 -)
    - Louise (1517 -)
    - Henri (1520 -)

XXXXXXI: 1529
  • “All was relatively quiet at court after Barbara’s death, Lady Carey grew heavier with child. A few weeks after that dark day, she went into confinement. Richard himself had grown more capricious and brooding, the subject of an heir weighed heavily on his mind. He had not been pleased with Queen Eleanor when her phantom pregnancy had occurred. We know from the diaries of Arthur Tudor that Richard had written to him, a rambling confused letter that seemed to switch from blaming himself to the Queen to God to the world for his lack of an heir.

While Lady Constance Fitzroy would not be called as such in Richard’s lifetime, her birth did proof that he was capable of fathering a child. As did Mary Carey’s pregnancy.

Lady Carey herself was complaining of frequent headaches and vision problems. When she raised the matter with the King, he having grown weary of all the women in his life - sharply told her that she ought to pray and slapped her.

Richard’s eyes had begun to roam again, not focusing on any woman in particular. Katherine Parr, the bride of Henry, Earl of Pembroke, left court pretty sharply, writing to her sister that “I think we all would know what will happen to any girl who catches the eye of our King”

One thing was clear, Mary Carey’s time was running short. Richard began to plot to be rid of her, little did he know that it would be out of his hands.”

XXXXXXXII: 1529
  • “Mary is gone...it was a hard, terrible labour and the physician said there was naught he could do. I was with her when she breathed her last...it did not give me comfort. [...] She birthed a boy, he did not live for much longer than she did but he was named Richard for his Kingly father. The King is in a terrible, black rage and Harry and I have taken our leave of court.

[...] We are bringing our poor sister and nephew back to Hever first, perhaps Jane can make arrangements so most things are ready by the time we arrive? [...] Henry and Catherine are in my thoughts most of all, the poor orphaned moppets. Harry and I are happy to have them with the children at Alnwick. Unless Jane would like to have them with your little ones?

[...]

I will be glad to be home, there is nothing here but misery.

Yours Affectionately,

Anne”

- “The Collected Correspondence of George, 1st Duke of Wiltshire” Compiled by his second wife, Genevieve Lytton. Courtesy of the Hever Archives.

Interlude: April 2019
  • By way of introduction, a less depressing interlude so the TL isn't completely Dickensian. I was going to include the Mary and Barbara run off to France together AU that was written as a side piece but then I realised how long it was...so I came up with this as a suitable replacement.

"Arriving on Netflix, April of 2019 - Even in Another Time is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Georgiana Fitzwalter where a young man arrives in a small fishing village on an isolated island off the coast of France. He finds himself staying with two women who live an isolated existence and becomes infatuated with their daughter while developing a close rapport with their son. The story's main conceit is that it takes place in an alternate timeline and the two women, our protagonist finds himself staying with are Barbara de Vere and Mary Carey - the unfortunate two mistresses of Richard III, often called one of history's greatest monsters.

In flashbacks we see the women's arrival on the island while both are pregnant, the subsequent birth of their children Constance and Richard and the life they created together. The young Mary played by Adèle Haenel finds herself as the women's protector as Barbara (Alina Kovelenko) is much more fragile after her years with Richard. It is an ode to recovery from trauma and abusive relationships as we see Barbara re-emerge into the wilder personality that she was said to have possessed as a girl.

It was debated about whether or not the miniseries would retain the novel's ambiguity around the relationship of the two central women. It is well known that chapters portraying a more romantic lean were exorcised prior to publication and that the showrunner was given permission by the Fitzwalter estate to gain access to the lost material. The relationship in the series is far from ambiguous and certainly satisfies the author's original intent.

It is no secret that the novel's title comes from the Sappho quote, "Someone, I tell you, will remember us, even in another time. " and this is what the miniseries closes with the idea of. In an interview before her death, Georgiana Fitzwalter remarked that she and her long time partner, the illustrator Jessica Blake, had always preferred this ending.

"This is where I like to think they are, not left to rot by a terrible man but in a little village by the sea. That I hope is where they will always be,"

- Review of the Netflix series, Even in Another Time (2019)

XXXXXXIII: 1530
  • “As 1530 dawned, a new decade felt somewhat abysmal.

Richard was uncharacteristically quiet, most stayed out of his way and luckily for the women at court. He didn’t seem inclined to take a mistress. If anything the women at court seemed to irritate him, all except Queen Eleanor and even then he blew violently hot and cold with her. He reportedly began to take interest in the works of Martin Luther, though it was not this generation of Plantagenets that would begin the rise of Anglicism.

There were quiet mutterings at court, that threatened to grow louder that Richard was ruminating on his marriage. They had been married many years and still there was not a child to show for it. There were rumblings that he might seek a new bride and try and force Eleanor into a nunnery, a sickly sweet letter to his younger sister Beatrice certainly gives this rumour credence. After all he could not give a royal bride such a violent ending.

The winds of change however rattled through court in June of 1530. For as maid-of-honour Jane Seymour wrote in her diary, it had been two months and the 31 year old Queen had not had her courses.

Mindful of her previous phantom pregnancy, the court waited with baited breath.”

- Richard III: Mind of a Tyrant

XXXXXXIV: 1530
  • Summer 1530

The wait had been an anxious affair for Eleanor.

Her stomach had swelled but with the last time that she’d thought that she was with child...well she hadn’t dared to hope. The King’s black rages were well known and most times they’d attempted to lay together had been a disaster. There was gossip at court about Richard’s intentions with her and if he really would have her put aside.

Eleanor already knew, if he attempted to have her sent to a nunnery so that he might take a new bride. Well she would simply go, after all that had happened with those two poor women had served under her...Eleanor knew the cost of the King’s anger and she would not turn it on her own head.

Still Eleanor knew this had to be her last chance, if she was with child and she could bring the King a living son...

Well it would secure her position and any letters that had been dispatched to Cleves, apparently one of the only men willing to send a daughter into Richard’s arms could be ignored. “Friendly Overtures” apparently but Eleanor was no fool, she knew what this would mean for her.

She’d summoned the physician after a bad night, now Eleanor peered down at him anxiously as he carefully examined her.

He suddenly straightened, giving her a respectful nod.

“Well?” Eleanor asked, taking care not to let the quiver in her voice sound.

“I suspect I know what kept you up Your Majesty, it is nothing to worry about,”

“Do you mean...” Eleanor trailed off, barely able to ask the question in case he was about to confirm her worst fears.

“Simply that the babe has quickened Madam, it was rude of the child to keep you awake but...”

Eleanor nearly sagged down into the mattress out of sheer relief. A child! A child for England at last!

She managed a delighted smile, “A good sign, God Willing. We simply may have an active Prince of Wales on our hands,”

The Physician gave her a nod, “Indeed, I would suspect that Your Majesties will see the new year in with the birth. If you will forgive me for being so informal, I know that you were concerned...”

Eleanor gave a nod, “Well it does not matter now. I will not question Our Lord and the way he chooses. He has blessed myself and the King with a child at last,”

She caught the eye of one of her ladies who had been observing quietly, “If you would be so kind to fetch His Majesty, Joan? I am sure that he will be delighted to hear that the babe has quickened and we are to be blessed and he ought to hear it from my lips,”

Joan nodded, bobbing into a respectful curtesy as Eleanor lay back in quiet contemplation.

Whatever happened, she silently prayed, at least let her deliver a healthy child. A child that would be the hope of England, a child that would put all the ills of their father to rest.

That was all she could pray for now.

XXXXXXV: 1530
  • “Upon the confirmation of Queen Eleanor’s much longed for pregnancy, Richard III was utterly delighted. At last an heir for England! Many toasted to the health of the Queen and future child. Richard, above all, was convinced that he would soon be delivered of a healthy Prince of Wales. He planned to name his son Richard, after himself.

Though obviously, Richard’s grand dream of the future Richard IV - his identical in all ways son would not come to pass.”

XXXXXXVI: 1531
  • January 1531

It was bitterly cold.

Frost marked the window panes and Eleanor, exhausted by the pregnancy had found herself retired to her bed more often than not. Her confinement had been almost a relief as Richard had not often come to visit her, claiming that he did not wish to tire her unnecessarily. When he did come though, he would often talk of their son. A son who would rule a fine England that Richard would present him on a platter, they would retake all their territories lost to his harlot of a sister. He would be the greatest monarch after Richard himself.

It was not a future Eleanor could see herself wanting for her child, not if they became so like her husband.

Still the strong kicks of the babe did something to assure her, the child lived and her child was strong.

Snow had begun to fall in Westminster when the pains begun, Eleanor let out a low cry that had her ladies come running. She waved them off, as she caught her breath. "If one of you would fetch the midwife and alert the physician, I believe that our Prince of Wales is keen on making his entrance now," She gritted her teeth as the pains came on, digging her finger tips into the sheets.

From there it seemed as though a flurry of activity erupted, the palace was on full alert. The future of England was at last in sight, they would have an heir, Richard would at last have an heir after so many years of marriage. People seemed to pace the halls anxiously, all they could do was wait.

The King himself got so violently drunk that he had to be put to bed and missed the first lusty cries that echoed through the birthing chamber.

"She's a loud one this one," The midwife said, "Likes to make herself heard already,"

"She?" Eleanor asked, lying back in her bed as the baby was passed to her.

"Aye, a lovely Lady for England, Madam,"

Not a son, not the Prince of Wales that was hoped for but...a child all the same.

Her newborn daughter was content to wail and Eleanor moved her arms to settle her a bit, she was a large baby and wrinkled but Eleanor loved her immediately anyway. "She's beautiful," Eleanor beamed, enjoying the moment with her daughter in her arms.

"Katherine?" She indicated a lady to her right, "If you would send a message to the King and let him know,"

"They say he's asleep now Your Majesty," Katherine said and Eleanor winced.

"Well I shan't think he'd want waking not..." Not if he didn't have a son. "But if you could let one of the men know so they might tell him when he wakes?"

Eleanor glanced down at her daughter again and something like resolve set in her, given how long it had taken them to have a child at all...this little girl might be all they had. A girl but..."God works in mysterious ways," Eleanor murmured.

And she knew, there was much work to be done.

XXXXXXVII: 1531
  • "The King was in a rage when the news arrived, he reacted violently - what influence the hangover had or whether Richard was just simply Richard it is debatable. He was somewhat sober when he visited his wife and newborn daughter the next morning but remained cold towards the pair of them. When naming the child, we know that Richard requested a name from his side of the family but was quick to veto Anne - the moniker belonging to his sister who had triumphed over him and his mother whom he still recalled with some disdain.

Whatever Richard may have thought, the beginnings of a new age began on that cold January day.

Even if he would never know it and even if he did, we cannot say whether he would have accepted it, but he had produced one of the greatest monarchs of England. One who was well beloved and who has been the subject of many documentaries, so I will not explain her story in great detail here for her time has yet to come. Richard had lost but in a way he had his greatest wish, even if he would never know it.

I am of course, talking about England's first Queen Regnant, Elizabeth."

XXXXXXVIII: 1531
  • “The King has not taken well to the news, he asked me what use we may have of a daughter for a girl is no use to him. I was much grieved at the parting of myself and little Elizabeth and I hope to visit her as often as the King permits at Eltham. She is a charming baby and I am pleased that God has answered my prayers and delivered us of a healthy child.

I know that you would not come to court now, nor would I ask you to after all that has happened but I should so wish to meet with a dear friend if you would like to come to Eltham for a visit when I am there with Elizabeth.”

- Excerpt from a letter by Queen Eleanor to Anne Percy, Countess of Northumberland.

“Richard was not a man who stewed well, he still longed for a son and not the daughter he had been given. Yet, he had been humiliated often, especially on the battlefield and was determined to prove himself as a worthy foe somehow.

The joust he had set up in honour of his daughter’s birth was a subdued affair. Especially compared to the grand designs he had planned for a Prince of Wales. Many indeed wondered that he planned to acknowledge the birth at all, especially given how he had reacted to the birth of Lady Elizabeth. All became clear however when Richard announced that he would ride in the joust himself.

Richard was neither skilled at jousting nor a skilled horseman. Coupled with his burning desire to prove himself, it was not meant to end well.”

XXXXXXIX: 1532
    The day of the Tournament had dawned, grey and overcast.

Eleanor had taken her position in the stands alongside her ladies, it had taken Richard a while to mount his horse and he had huffed as Eleanor had offered him her favour in the joust.

“What luck would your favour give me?” Richard had snarled “I need no luck, I have skill alone,”

Then he had ridden off and Eleanor had kept her smile firm and fixed.

“What a jest our King makes,” Eleanor murmured quietly, before her husband’s competitor paused alongside the stand to nod as his wife who sat among the group of women.

“My Lord Buckingham,” Eleanor caught his attention and gave him a nod “Good luck in the tournament today,”

“Your Majesty,” Henry Stafford said with a polite nod, “Thank you, I am sure that our King will give me a run for my money,”

Eleanor chuckled briefly before pausing as she caught the sight of something - though she wasn’t quite sure what, in his eyes as he glanced in the King’s direction.

“I am sure that the King will make for a most interesting joust,” Eleanor said, glancing in Richard’s direction.

“Well?” Richard demanded in his imperious voice “Are we to joust today or not?”

“My cue,” Stafford said calmly, inclining his head towards Eleanor. “Your Majesty,”

He rode off towards his starting position as Richard began to fuss louder and louder. Everyone at Court seemed to be packed in the stands and all eyes were on the King as he snatched his lance from a waiting page before waving him off.

Eleanor bit her lip, honestly she had never put much thought into her husband’s inclinations to joust. He never seemed to like any sport, well unless of course - he would win.

Cheers began to ring out as the two riders rode towards each other, Eleanor bit her lip as Richard approached Buckingham.

Then the world seemed to go in slow motion as Buckingham unhorsed Richard and he fell onto the ground with a thump.

“The King!” Someone called out in a panic and Eleanor opened her mouth to say something, but she could only watch in horror as his horse reared up but caught itself on the wooden fencing. The horse veered violently until it fell with a terrible thunk, directly on top of Richard.

There were no more cheers after that.

XXXXXXX: 1532
  • "The case of the accident at the tournament is indeed a curious one.

Richard was not a skilled rider by any means, he is noted in certain papers as being a poor sportsman in general and it is curious as to why Buckingham did not simply concede and allow the King to win for the sake of his ego. After all, everyone knew just how bad it could be when Richard was angry, the court had long since veered into indulging him for the sake of their heads. His favor went round and round like a carousel and many did not wish for favor to fall upon them at all, lest Richard tire of them.

When Richard awoke from the accident, he was quick to cry foul play and conspiracy. We have no concrete evidence that suggests this and still we have to wonder, certainly it was a popular contemporary rumor. In his Richard III trilogy, William Shakespeare immortalizes Buckingham as heroically trying to intercede and protect his beloved England from a tyrannical King.

However the accident had been worse than anyone could have ever realised, Richard was still alive and breathing but he remained unconscious and could not be roused. A vigil was kept at his side as the Court tried to come to terms with the new status quo. In modern medical terms, we of course know this to be a coma. One from which Richard would not wake for a very long time."

Last edited:
    XXXXXXXI:1532

"And His Majesty still does not wake..." The Physician continued giving his report to the Council, at their head was Queen Eleanor who glanced around the room at the men assembled there.

"You will forgive me for asking," Eleanor said keeping her voice even, "As I am sure that you will know that I only voice this out of concern for our King and the rather...painful incident that occurred, but...will he wake? Are you certain? It has been a fortnight and His Majesty makes no sign of being roused,"

The Physician made a pained face, "I cannot speak on it Madam, Our Lord has his reasons for everything. Perhaps the King's body merely needs time to rest and recover but..."

"It has been a fortnight," Eleanor said calmly, "We of course all pray for the King to awaken and be in full health," She sincerely hoped that God would forgive her for lying through her teeth. "And yet we must not allow England to suffer in his absence, it is not what he would want,"

"Indeed not, Your Majesty," It is Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, who speaks first. "If I may speak plainly, has His Majesty made plans for a regency or a Lord Protector? After all we know how it was only just a year ago that you birthed Lady Elizabeth and we would not want you to suffer through the strain,"

"Your concern does you merit, Lord Norfolk," Eleanor lied easily, "Our King being only forty had not made plans for such a thing, which brings us to...this certain dilemma," The lack of men close to the throne made it difficult, as well as the men that Richard had not alienated. The Duke of York would have been a sensible option, but the man has long since gone to God. Warwick perhaps but Richard would not take well to that and Eleanor did not wish to push it.

"If you would forgive me for being so bold," Norfolk said but his expression made Eleanor feel uneasy. "I would put myself forward, after all I am married to a noble lady of the House of York and I would -,"

He was cut off by the cacophony of shouts that came, all the members of the Privy Council nominating themselves for the position of Lord Protector.

"Gentlemen," Eleanor tried to call the room to order but no one listen as the room devolved into shouting and arguments. Every man wanted to be the Lord Protector and every man thought that they were better suited to it than all the others.

It was in short, a terrible mess.