Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

I. Opening
"They would call him 'The Boy King' in the early days, especially when he rode down into London to great fanfare. There was some push back and forth about the coronation, especially between Prince Richard, Lord Protector and the Dowager Queen, Elizabeth Woodville, friction between the pair became even more apparent in the days leading up to the event. There was even some gossip that the Lord Protector was even trying to prevent his young nephew from becoming King at all, claims that Richard would later, fiercely denied. Whatever debate there may have been about the event, it was with a grand procession that the young King was brought to Westminster Abbey and crowed by Thomas Bourchier, Archbishop of Canterbury and so began the reign of Edward V. A new King for the House of Plantagenet that still rules England to this very day,"

- An excerpt from 'White Roses', aired on the BBC in August 2020 in honour of the coronation of Queen Eleanor.

Long-term site lurker here! This timeline is based on a long running rp which has since recently closed and which we thought would be fun to write out in a more official sense. It is based on the premise of what if Edward V had not become one of the infamous 'Princes in the Tower'. I have some notes that I'm looking forward to transcribing and a very small family tree focusing on the main line, which I would enjoy fleshing out. Suggestions are absolutely welcome :)

Could you link to it, if possible?

Hello! Since the site's closure we've reverted to a member only archive, mostly because we were dealing with content theft at the time. However I promise I'll cover all of the site's plot, especially as we ended up in modern day...well it gives me a lot of material haha.

II. May 1483
May 1483

Along the banks of the Thames, the royal barge floated in a grand procession with the new King Edward at its head.

From their position by the window, the two women could see the King and they could all too clearly hear the shouts and cheers, "Long Live the King!", "King Edward!" It was a grand spectacle, and the younger, a fair girl of seventeen turned to her mother.

"I hadn't realised how tall he is now," Princess Elizabeth remarked, her mother was still staring and watching the procession go by. In truth, she would have preferred to be down there with her brother but their mother was in mourning for their father still, it would hardly do for her mother dressed in all black to be down there and Elizabeth had promised to remain by her side. "I suppose he will always be a small boy in my eyes, even when I am away and married and he is a grown man,"

"He will be a great King," the Dowager Queen said, not taking her eyes off her boy. "The greatest one England has ever seen,"

Elizabeth nodded, "Of course, My Lady Mother. He is a sweet boy and I am sure Uncle Richard will guide him well,"

Elizabeth Woodville gave her daughter a sharp look at that, "Your Uncle did not wish for your brother to be crowned at all, Elizabeth, do not forget that,"

"Edward is the King now, Mother. He has been crowned and I am sure that Uncle Richard understands that,"

"He may be King but he is a boy still,"

"And he will not be a boy forever,"

"No," Elizabeth Woodville shook her head, "But he is still my boy before he is anyone else's," She turned to her daughter, "I fear I will have need of you, daughter. Will you promise to help me?"

"Mother, I -,"

"Swear to your old Lady Mother, you know all I wish to do is protect our Edward. All I do is to protect all of you,"

Despite a cool feeling of dread in her stomach, Elizabeth found herself nodding. "Of course, Lady Mother. For our boy,"

III. Edward V, Part I: Dramatis Personae
Edward V, Part I by William Shakespeare

Dramatis Personae

Edward V
Richard, Duke of Gloucester, the King's Uncle
Richard, Duke of York, brother to the King
Elizabeth, the Dowager Queen
Lady Elizabeth, the King's Sister
Lady Cecily, the King's Sister
Anne, Duchess of Brittany, later Queen of England
Margaret, a lady to the Dowager Queen
Henry Tudor, son to Margaret

"They will call these years the false spring, as all rejoiced when the young king began to grow to man. All thought peace would last and Edward, all of England could not have had a finer King. From Brittany came his bride at last, the fair Anne and no one noticed the signs of false spring turning to bleak winter as a plot began to emerge."

- from the opening monologue of Edward V.

IV: 1487
"Much of course, has been made of the events leading up to the arrival of Anne of Brittany in England. It was just shy of a decade since Edward V had ascended to the throne, the times had surprisingly been peaceful, no doubt steered by the careful hand of the Lord Protector. Though behind the scenes trouble often brewed, the relationship between the Duke of Gloucester and the Dowager Queen has been a sticking point for many historians - especially when the fallout was explosive as it was. Edward V himself was eager to prove himself not a boy king anymore and the events of 1487 are evidence enough of that."

- Edward V, the Young Son of England by Dr. John Belcourt

"It is believed now that Elizabeth had a larger hand in the affair than she let on, but Edward V championing himself as 'the Peacemaker King' with the typical self confidence of a 17 year old boy considered it his own grand idea. The Duke of Gloucester reportedly attempted to talk him out of it many times, but it only lead to a searing argument between uncle and nephew. Edward is reported to have coldly reminded the Uncle to "Remember who your King is," Either way, the news was announced and a certain few were taken aback."

- Elizabeth Woodville, a Life by Dr Sarah Chandler

"You have heard the news I expect? Our Bess is to be married soon, Mother has wanted her close and pleaded with Edward to abstain from marrying her away. You have to wonder why she would agree to it now and Bess too, given how steadfast she held..."

- Excerpt from a letter from Cecily of England, sister to the Edward V

V: 1487
Richard, Duke of Gloucester was not in the brightest of moods as the guards stood aside for him to enter his nephew's rooms. He had heard the announcement and his nephew hadn't even consulted him on the matter, he could only hope that he could reason with the boy before it was too late.

Edward glanced up upon his arrival, "Ah Uncle," He said with a cheerful smile, "Good to see you, I suppose you have heard the announcement now?"

"I have," Richard said, gritting his teeth, "And I have come to insist to Your Majesty, that such a marriage cannot happen - it is a foolish move,"

"You think me a fool Uncle?" Edward asked coldly.

"You are not a fool Edward," Richard sighed, "Surely you can see of no good coming of this? Henry Tudor, a man who has sought your own throne for years returning to England and marrying him to your sister, of all people? He is our enemy, not our friend and -,"

"That is where you are wrong Uncle," Edward said sharply, "Lady Margaret herself came to beg upon bended knee for her son's return, he has written letters submitting to my rule and says he only wishes to return to his home country. With Bess married to him then he will be tied tightly enough to us that he cannot move against us and Bess knows the importance of binding him to us," He let out a chuckle, "Henry Tudor is a fool if he ever thought he could take my throne from me and such a fool is easily blinded to the charms of a beautiful woman, especially one as lovely as our dear Bess. The minute he sets foot in England, he will be watched - he will not make a move without my knowing so,"

"Edward," Richard felt the urge to get a stiff drink, "You must know that this will not end well, that Henry Tudor would not just fall into acknowledging your rule and we would be playing directly into his hands,"

"On the contrary Uncle, God has seen to finally give Henry Tudor intelligence and will I not be seen as a highly merciful King to reunite him with his own Mother and unite our own warring parties at last? They can call me the Peacemaker King," Edward chuckled "I can see it now, Mother told me that they would write great things of my reign and -,"

"Your mother? Was this the Dowager Queen's idea?" Richard blurted out, the years had been fraught between them and Margaret Beaufort was counted among Elizabeth Woodville's ladies but her son was safe on his throne. What would she hope to win from this? What sort of game was she playing?

"It was no one's idea but my own," Edward snapped, "I am a man now, I am the King and neither you nor my mother will tell me what to do. I am the King here Uncle and you would do well to remember it, instead of questioning the authority that God gave me,"

There was silence between them for a few long moments, before Richard rose to leave. "Aye, you are the King and this is your choice,"

The fool he was, he had made his own bed all in favor of being known by history and he could lie in it now. Why had God given him such a stubborn boy for a nephew?

Watching eagerly - I love surviving Yorkist TLs!

Then it might please you to know that in this TL, there's a Yorkist Queen on the throne in 2020! Though the feuding with the Tudors hasn't necessarily ironed itself out, some things never change.

Side note to anyone reading this TL, I have a family tree in much need of fleshing out and aside from Edward (who marries Anne of Brittany) and Elizabeth (who to much facepalming marries Henry Tudor) the other surviving children of Edward IV are currently unspoken for in the marriage stakes and I know this forum generally has good ideas in the betrothal arena so I would be pleased to hear them. I suspect Cecily went abroad, though I have plans for Scotland that involve her niece so perhaps not there and I think I will be keeping Bridget as a nun.

VI: 1487
"Initially Edward's grand peacemaking gesture appeared to go remarkably well, Henry Tudor arrived in England for the first time in sixteen years. Now a man of thirty, he was greeted at the docks by a small party including his mother, Lady Margaret who was keen to embrace her son. Accompanying Margaret was Henry's bride to be, Elizabeth of York who at 21 was considered one of the great beauties of her brother's court. There the pair met formally for the first time, though decades later in the reign of Richard IV, letters between the pair were discovered for the first time confirming they had been in contact for sometime prior to their official first meeting. Though the letters proved they had been in contact and they had struck up something of a friendship, the younger Elizabeth's role in what would ensue is still up for debate.

The pair were married in a small ceremony, one befitting Elizabeth's status but not giving her groom too many airs. Many of the family were in attendance to bless what was hoped to be a union between the long warring factions, with one notable exception - Richard, Duke of Gloucester. Richard's wife, Anne did write Elizabeth a rather tense note of congratulations on their wedding. One "historian" and I do use that term loosely has taken this as "evidence" of Richard's passionate love for his niece, rather than the more logical conclusion that he did not approve of the match.

Regardless, the Earl and Countess of Richmond went north then to Richmond Castle, North Yorkshire and for a while, it appeared as though Henry Tudor had indeed been truthful. That he simply wished to live a quiet life in the country with his new bride, Edward was known to crow about his grand achievement but of course things were not that simple and Edward would soon come to rue the day,"

- Edward V, the Young Son of England by Dr. John Belcourt

"Bess has written to me from Yorkshire, she mentions that she is writing to you plenty as well but I will say that she and her new husband seem to be quite fond of each other. Ned writes that he is pleased by the match and I suppose with these results he ought to be [...] it would not surprise me if we have news from Richmond soon, that an heir to the Earldom is on the way."

- An excerpt from a letter from Cecily of England to Elizabeth Woodville

Then it might please you to know that in this TL, there's a Yorkist Queen on the throne in 2020! Though the feuding with the Tudors hasn't necessarily ironed itself out, some things never change.

Side note to anyone reading this TL, I have a family tree in much need of fleshing out and aside from Edward (who marries Anne of Brittany) and Elizabeth (who to much facepalming marries Henry Tudor) the other surviving children of Edward IV are currently unspoken for in the marriage stakes and I know this forum generally has good ideas in the betrothal arena so I would be pleased to hear them. I suspect Cecily went abroad, though I have plans for Scotland that involve her niece so perhaps not there and I think I will be keeping Bridget as a nun.

Excellent!

Well, the Duke of Beja is probably an option for Cecily - there was talk of him marrying Elizabeth OTL, and England and Portugal have been allied for almost a century at this point, so it might be nice to shore that up. Otherwise, Denmark may have a Prince for her.

As for Edward's other siblings, Anne can marry Thomas Howard as she did OTL - the Howards won't be falling from favour if they don't fight for Richard at Bosworth.

Richard is free to marry again after Anne Mowbray's death, and I suggest Elizabeth Hastings for his bride. The daughter of his father's oldest friend, and probably about his age - Hastings' other daughter Anne, was born in 1471, and seems to have been the elder sister, given she married first - Elizabeth would be a good bride for Richard if Edward is looking to reward the Hastings family for their loyalty, especially given Richard doesn't need to marry another heiress.

As for Katherine, she's the right age for either Juan of Castile or Phillip of Burgundy, but I suggest the latter. Isabella of Castile never liked Edward IV after he jilted her for Elizabeth Woodville, so I think she"d be less open to an English alliance, whereas England, Brittany and Burgundy have traditionally had a triangle of alliance against the French.

Bridget has probably already been sent to Syon by this point...

Excellent!

Well, the Duke of Beja is probably an option for Cecily - there was talk of him marrying Elizabeth OTL, and England and Portugal have been allied for almost a century at this point, so it might be nice to shore that up. Otherwise, Denmark may have a Prince for her.

As for Edward's other siblings, Anne can marry Thomas Howard as she did OTL - the Howards won't be falling from favour if they don't fight for Richard at Bosworth.

Richard is free to marry again after Anne Mowbray's death, and I suggest Elizabeth Hastings for his bride. The daughter of his father's oldest friend, and probably about his age - Hastings' other daughter Anne, was born in 1471, and seems to have been the elder sister, given she married first - Elizabeth would be a good bride for Richard if Edward is looking to reward the Hastings family for their loyalty, especially given Richard doesn't need to marry another heiress.

As for Katherine, she's the right age for either Juan of Castile or Phillip of Burgundy, but I suggest the latter. Isabella of Castile never liked Edward IV after he jilted her for Elizabeth Woodville, so I think she"d be less open to an English alliance, whereas England, Brittany and Burgundy have traditionally had a triangle of alliance against the French.

Bridget has probably already been sent to Syon by this point...
Fantastic ideas thank you! A Portuguese match seems ideal for Cecily, as does Elizabeth Hastings for Richard. The next Queen of England is from Burgundy so Katherine having married in there might have helped pushed that match through, especially if she personally was pushing from it.

In my notes I have Edward of Warwick possibly married to a Grey girl and I know we never decided what to do about Edward of Middleham either. Though I suspect Margaret might have still married Salisbury.