Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

XXI: 1491
  • "Life began to move on in the English Court, families began to grow. Elizabeth Woodville, the Queen Dowager left court permanently in the summer of 1491 after seeing in the birth of the heir to the throne. She cited her wish to see out the end of her life in religious contemplation and was granted permission to leave court, Elizabeth retired to Bermondsey Abbey where she would die a year later in 1492. She was frequently visited by her children in her final months.

Lady Alice Stanley gave birth to a son, naming him Edmund - a name reported to be first choice for Queen Anne and Lady Alice is reported to have said that everyone would know her son as the King's son. Edmund was recognised by the King and given the name 'Fitzroy', after the scandal of Lady Margaret - Thomas Stanley left court for a while, taking his daughter and grandson with him. Though he would later return and ask the King to assist him in finding 'a good bride from a loyal English family', Lady Alice herself remained away from court and eventually married a knight. Edward himself, moved onto his next big mistress...who was still making waves many years later.

Lady Margaret died before her trial as a traitor in the Tower of London, she was visited by her son Henry, Duke of Richmond but died scant hours later. Some say of a broken heart, in the papers now in the National Archives there lies a final letter from Lady Margaret's hand to her son. Where she promises that all she ever did was out of love for her son and that she still believed that God had made the Tudor family for greatness and that he would always remain her beloved boy.

It was in the summer of 1491 that English history changed forever though, for hours in the birthing room Queen Anne toiled but bells were rung loudly. For at the end of one story began another and so the Queen was delivered of a healthy baby boy named for the King's Uncle who had died in honor on the battle field. We now have called him many things, a tyrant, a murderer, by playwrights and historians he has been called the most vile monarch ever to have ruled England. Even outranking Queen Caroline. They did not know him then, all he was then was Richard, Prince of Wales. The future Richard III."

- Edward V by Dr Natalie Bower.

XXII: Cast & Family Tree
  • Alright, we'll move onto the next generation presently who have their own...messes but here are some extras for you all!

"BBC Drama, White Roses Blooming (Part 1)

Edward V, King of England - Toby Regbo
    Elizabeth Woodville, his mother - Samantha Morton
    Richard, Duke of Gloucester, the Lord Protector - Rufus Sewell
    Anne Neville, Duchess of Gloucester - Anna Maxwell-Martin
    Anne of Brittany, later Queen Anne of England - Rose Williams
    Elizabeth of York, Countess (later Duchess) of Richmond- Sophie Skelton
    Richard, Duke of York - Finn Cole
    Lady Elizabeth Hastings, later Duchess of York - Ellise Chappell

Henry Tudor, Earl (late Duke) of Richmond - Jacob Collins-Levy
    Lady Margaret Beaufort, his mother - Helen McCrory
    Thomas Stanley, Baron Stanley - Sir Who-We-Never-Got-Around-To-Casting
    Lady Alice Stanley, Mistress to the King - Ellie Bamber"

House of Plantagenet, Family Tree circa 1508

Edward IV, King of England
    m. Elizabeth Woodville

1. Elizabeth of York, married Henry Tudor, Duke of Richmond had issue
    1. Arthur Tudor (b. 1488)
    2. Katherine Tudor (b. 1491)
    3. Edmund Tudor (b. 1493)
    4. George Tudor (b. 1494)
    5. Mary Tudor (b. 1500)

2. Mary of York, died young
    3. Cecily of York, married to the Duke of Beja, had issue.
    4. Edward V, King of England, married Anne of Brittany, had issue.
    1. Richard, Prince of Wales (b 1491)
    2. Lady Anne (b 1492)
    3. Lady Beatrice (b 1495)
    4. Edmund, Duke of Brittany (b 1499 - d. 1506)
    With an ‘Unknown Woman’
    1. Edward
    2. Sarah
    With Lady Alice Stanley
    1. Lord Edmund Fitzroy
    5. Margaret of York, died young
    6. Richard, Duke of York, married Lady Elizabeth Hastings, had issue.
    1. Philippa (b. 1493)
    2. Anthony (b. 1496 - d.1497)
    3. George (b. 1496 - d. 1500)
    4. Mary (b. 1498)
    5. Anne (b. 1501)
    6. Thomas (b. 1501 - d. 1515)
    7. Anne of York, married Juan of Spain, had issue.
    8. George, Duke of Bedford, died young
    9. Catherine of York, married Philip of Burgundy, had issue
    10. Bridget of York, Nun

George, Duke of Clarence
    m. Isabel Neville

1. Anne of Clarence, died young.
    2. Margaret of Clarence, married Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset, had issue.
    3. Edward of Warwick, married Isabel of Gloucester, had issue.
    4. Richard of Clarence, died young.

Richard, Duke of Gloucester, Lord Protector. (Died 1490)
    m. Anne Neville

1. Edward of Gloucester, died young.
    2. Isabel of Gloucester (b. 1486), married Edward of Warwick, had issue.

Last edited:
    XXIII: Spring 1501
  • The next part is being worked on as we speak, though we'll probably have to title all the generations and sort that out eventually. In the meantime, here to bridge the gap as we pick up again in about 1509, have a glimpse of the Prince of Wales...

Spring 1501

There was an almighty roar from the nursery and the sound of crashing.

From the corridor, Elizabeth, Duchess of York winced. "Again?" She mouthed to her sister in law who stood beside her, as they'd made their way to visit the royal nursery together. Bess made an unimpressed face as they simply stood, breath held and waiting before another crashing sound came from the nursery.

"Your Royal Highness, if you could only..." came the carrying voice of the woman in charge of the royal nursery, but she was cut off by an imperious voice screaming "No! Won't!"

"In the name of Our Lord," Bess groaned, "Hal and I are hoping that he won't give Arthur any ideas,"

The royal nursery by now was heaving and finally at least had seemed to stop growing, it stung Beth more than a little that they'd seemed so unlucky with their sons. Their girls seemed to be as strong as houses, but their boys...well, little Thomas seemed so pale and sickly next to his twin sister, Anne. Beth had prayed often for the Lord to intervene...Thomas still...he was so small and pale.

There was another crashing sound and Beth winced.

"There'll be nothing left of the nursery if the Prince of Wales carries on," She murmured, "I know that Lady Neville has often written to the Queen asking to discipline the Prince of Wales more stringently so that he might learn to..."

"I can only imagine what my brother would say to that," Bess said wryly, "Laughter and that he is a future King who knows what he wants?"

Beth nodded, her lips pressed together which showed what she thought of that.

"Prince Richard is ten. Not two." Bess rolled her eyes.

"I'll be sending a prayer to Lady Neville," Beth remarked as the pair of them quietly slipped away together, determined not to be on the other end of a large temper tantrum...

XXIV: 1504
  • Okay, Okay, I know you have the whole thing mostly plotted out, but if you could find your way to writing a few more of these scenes to bridge the gap, I would be much appreciative, the first one cracked me up!

Your wish is my command!

The clatter from downstairs was greeted with a huff of indignation from the elder of the two young girls, as she fidgeted in the window seat.

"We have to finish our lessons Nan," Her younger sister said as she calmly attended to the work left for her by Lady Neville. "Nevie will get cross if she comes back and sees that we haven't,"

"She'll be with Richard for hours if he's having one of his fits," Lady Anne rolled her eyes, "He's thirteen, he ought to be at Ludlow by now. Papa was when he was a toddler! But Richard will be a man in a few years and he's still in the nursery. I'm twelve and I still know how to behave!"

"It's Papa's decision," Lady Beatrice said, resting her hand on her chin. "He's the King,"

"And I'm the future Queen of France," Anne said proudly, "I think Richard needs to go to Wales and learn how to rule there, he'll buck up his ideas,"

"You can't say that Nan," Beatrice hushed her, "You're not supposed to say things like that!"

"So," Anne rolled her eyes, "It's not like Mama can tell Papa to sort himself out, you know that she's hardly left Eddie. Not since..."

The air grew quiet between the sisters again, Edmund was always sick now. It was always something and they were only permitted to tiptoe around him. Too much noise wasn't good for him, Lady Neville always said - not too much excitement or anything. He'd never played with them, not even when they were little.

"Well maybe if Papa came to visit more..." Anne said, almost uncertainly. Catching on her sister's tone, Beatrice held a hand out for her. "Come on, I'll help you with your lessons. You're going to have to be clever if you're going to be the Queen of France,"

"And you the Queen of Scotland!" Anne said as she crossed the room to her sister.

"Yes," Beatrice smiled, but her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

XXV: 1505

"He ought to have gone years ago," Queen Anne murmured quietly to her ladies as they stood on the steps of Westminster, she'd felt well enough to see her fourteen year old son away to Ludlow today. More than that she'd needed to, England needed their King and Queen to wave off their Prince of Wales in solidarity. "I'd have thought that Edward would have..." She sighed, she'd hoped while she'd laid in her bed or the hours where she'd waited by Edmund's bedside might have been filled with her son being shaped into a fine King of England.

The sulky faced young man on his horse? He wasn't exactly where he ought to be, he wasn't that golden haired toddler that Anne had loved the moment she had set eyes on him.

"The King..." Beth, Duchess of York, glanced to their side from where she, the Queen and Margaret, Marchioness of Dorset stood with the rest of the Queen's ladies. "Has been occupied as of late,"

"As of ever," Meg murmured, glancing at the King's long term mistress, Mistress Frances Marchwood, the daughter of a knight who had been taken into her household as a maid of honor originally. He had taken her to bed not long after Alice Stanley left court and that had been that. After little Eddie had been born, Edward had stopped visiting Anne's bed - content with the four children that they had. Anne still worried for Eddie, he had never been born with strong lungs - not like his brother or his sisters. She led her household in daily prayers for his health but still she wondered often, if God would see her prayers as enough.

"My boy!" boomed Edward as he strode out across the courtyard, "I send you now to the people of Wales, to Ludlow where you will learn to rule as the great king you will one day be," He clumsily patted his son on the head, "Do me proud my boy!"

"Sire," Richard said stiffly as he inclined his head.

"My Lord Warwick!" Edward turned at last to his cousin, Edward, Earl of Warwick who had been appointed Chamberlain of Richard's household at Ludlow.

"Take good and fine care of our Prince!"

"I will sire!"

The procession of the Prince's new household began to slowly move, being sent with him were his two main childhood companions - Arthur Tudor, Earl of Pembroke and Lord Edmund Fitzroy, his half brother. Richard had a large household and Anne hoped that soon the discussions of a future wife for Richard would be complete, she could only dearly hope the girl would be ready when it was time for Richard to take a wife.

Still, Anne could not help herself as she darted out to the leaving procession. "Isabel!" She called to the woman who had chosen to ride alongside her husband, at least as the procession left.

Isabel, Countess of Warwick turned to her cousin in law with a soft smile, reaching for Anne's hand.

"My boy," Anne's eyes filled with tears, "Take care of him,"

"I will, Your Majesty," Isabel squeezed her hand. "I promise,"

Then she rode ahead to catch up with Teddy and Anne watched the procession until it was out of sight, with a horrible sinking feeling in her chest.

XXVI: 1506

The court was draped in mourning black.

There was nothing but silence as the courtiers moved away, heads bowed to make way for their Queen. Anne's face was marked with tears but she still held her head high as she walked, she was Queen of this Kingdom, Brittany had belonged to her in her own right. She would not stumble not here, not for anyone. At the steps she paused, her breath catching in her throat as she saw the too tiny coffin that awaited her. It was small, too small.

In it lay Edmund, her little Eddie - her boy. His lungs took weak to take the final sickness and the fever taking him in the night, the letter from Lady Percy had been sorrowful. She could barely imagine her boy lying there, he had never been a lively boy but he had been a sweet one. He had toddled after the girls when he still had strength to play and Anne had talked to Edward of sending their youngest to Ludlow when he was a little stronger.

It would have been good for both of their boys, perhaps it would help Richard mature to have a younger brother to look up to him and to keep him company. For all his faults, many of which Anne thought herself blind to, she knew that Richard had loved Eddie.

"Would you like me to write to Ludlow? So that the Prince of Wales might come to London to mourn his brother alongside us," the Duchess of York had asked but Anne had shook her head fiercely. "No, no. We must keep him from all of this sadness," She wondered now, if that had been the right idea after all.

There was a brief touch at the bottom of her arm, Anne looked to her left to see Beth who gave her a weak smile. Beth who had buried two of her boys, who could understand how she felt. It wasn't fair, it didn't feel like it was fair at all.

Anne could barely say anything at all, not as she watched the funeral procession begin to ride away taking Eddie to his final resting place. It hit her with terrifying clarity, her boy was gone - her son was never coming back. She would never be able to see her boy grow into a fine man, never see him married, never anything like that.

For a moment, Anne's composure shook and she turned with stiffness to walk away when she heard a voice call out to her.

"Your Majesty?"

Anne turned, seeing the familiar dark hair of Frances Marchwood, her husband's current mistress. Anne had never had a problem with Mistress Marchwood, she was still a beautiful young woman, she had been courteous and tried to keep out of her way.

Still, her being here? It almost felt like salt in the wound.

"Mistress Marchwood?" Anne asked, keeping her tone even.

"I just..." The young woman trailed off, almost anxious. "I wanted to express my sorrow at the Prince's passing and to let you know that I am keeping you all in my prayers,"

It wasn't the girl's fault but it still stung. Anne didn't say anything, just striding away leading her ladies with her, while Frances Marchwood stood in silence watching them go.

XXVII: 1508
  • With the gap bridged and a bit of a timeskip, we’ll find ourselves in 1508 with the next generation :)

“It is said that Richard never quite forgave his father or his mother when he was forced to remain at Ludlow instead of coming to London to mourn with the family. Relations notably soured between them and descriptions in Isabel, Countess of Warwick’s diaries note the coolness of such encounters and how he acted as though it were a trial when he saw his family. Perhaps the only family member he had truly been close to, aside from his cousin Arthur Tudor, had been his younger brother Edmund.

There are many what ifs feted by historians, what might have happened if Edmund had not died or if even he had been brought to London to mourn. We will never know, then came the announcement that a match had been found and seventeen year old Richard would find himself with a wife by the autumn.

Thus began a fascinating series of events, his intended was Catherine of Aragon but of course as we all know - Catherine was not to be his Queen.”

- Richard III, the Mind of a Tyrant.

XXVIII: 1508
  • “Following the betrothal announcement, events came together quickly. England needed a Princess of Wales and it was hoped, by some that a wife would help Richard settle down. Besides he was seventeen, a man grown. Before long Catherine of Aragon was on her way to England, Richard initially had an enormous fit of temper when told of his impending match but was soothed after being assured that ‘there was no lady more beautiful or greater in Christendom’ which greatly boosted his ego. Though he requested assurances of the Princess’ beauty.

Everything went relatively smoothly, well up until the Infanta was expected at Dover.”

- Richard III, the Mind of a Tyrant

“Beth,

We made good time on Dover but our future Princess of Wales was not to be found, the sudden storm last night must have blown their ships off course. I’m certain that they’ll send a message from where they land but in the meantime...all we have to do is wait

All my love, as always,

Richard”

- Excerpt from a letter to Elizabeth, Duchess of York from her husband.

“There was much confusion caused by the aftermath of the storm and where in fact, the missing bride to be was after being blown off course. There was dead silence for a week and a half, the court was practically jittery until a messenger arrived at last, the man had come from Scotland.”

- Catherine of Aragon, the greatest Queen England never had.

XXIX: 1508

At the news, Edward V had laughed uproariously.

"He's eloped with my son's bride has he?" He chuckled, "Spurning my daughter for her to boot, cheek of the lad!" He glanced over to the Lady Beatrice in question, who was quietly murmuring together with her almost constant companion Margery Fitzalan. Beatrice was still a slight girl of thirteen, it would have been a while yet before she would have tramped up to Edinburgh so perhaps it was not entirely a loss. They could certainly find another match for her, but more pressing would be the question of who his son's bride was to be.

Across the room, the King's eldest daughter strode to her sister. Beatrice raised an eyebrow at Anne as she approached, Lady Margery gave a quick curtsey before scampering off.

"Nan?" Beatrice questioned

"Aren't you upset about it all?" Anne asked, hands on her hips. "Catherine of Aragon just came in and stole your husband from you,"

"We weren't married, Nan. Besides, its a rather romantic story - that she was so ill after the storm that when they saw land and were greeted by King James she saw it as a sign from God?"

"You were still meant to be Queen of Scotland,"

"Not as God wills it, apparently,"

"Bea," Anne sighed, "Did you really not want it so badly?"

"I don't see why you're worrying Nan, you'll be on the next ship to France as soon as this is over to marry King Louis. Papa will find Richard another bride or well -," Beatrice paused, pulling a face. "Uncle Richard will help him find one and it'll all be settled before long. Mama wouldn't have wanted to send me to Scotland yet either, I haven't started my courses yet and you had by now. It'll be alright,"

"I suppose," Anne shrugged.

"I wouldn't worry about me either, it's our brother - you know how he'd hardly take this as a grand romance. He'll take it as a slight and kick up an almighty fuss,"

"He told me in his letters that he and Catherine were going to be the next Edward and Philippa," Anne admitted, "Though I think he only wrote to boast rather than to layout his grand masterplan for his marriage,"

"Well," Beatrice said, catching the eye of Margery who stood a few feet from them, clearly pretending not to eavesdrop. "Lets hope whoever gets chosen for Richard's bride next doesn't have any plans on eloping,"

XXX: 1508
  • “My Lord Warwick,

Please forgive this letter but it is an urgent matter.

The Prince of Wales has left Ludlow while you were away seeing to Lady Isabel. The King’s son, Lord Edmund Fitzroy has gone with him and the Prince has made it clear that he intends to ride for Scotland to seek retribution for his honour.

I tried forewarning the Prince but he and Lord Edmund have ridden away before I could stop them.

I do not know what he plans but I know it is of great importance that he be stopped before riding to Scotland.

I have written to my father, the Duke of Richmond in hopes that he might be able to stop the Prince in his ride north.

Regards,

Arthur Tudor, Earl of Pembroke”

“Upon hearing of Catherine’s sudden elopement, Spain did not take it well. She was written to by both of her parents, condemning her as a disobedient disgrace of her daughter. That she ought not consider herself a daughter of Spain any longer, Catherine merely replied by stating that there was no lawful reason why her marriage could be dissolved. Relations were notably sour for a number of years, though Catherine had done what they wanted her to do. She had married a King.

As a mad scramble for a bride for Richard ensued, no one could have predicted what he planned next. Of course we know what happened next, it being the stuff of legend but we know what they did not when Richard arrived in Edinburgh beside Lord Edmund Fitzroy.

Catherine was already pregnant.”

- Bonnie Queen Catherine by Dr Natalie Bower

XXXI: 1508 via 2020
  • "@historynerd1996: honestly is there anything funnier than richard iii's scottish tantrum.

@queencatherine: that awkward moment when your betrothed says see you never! elopes to scotland and you go to try and win her back.

@historynerd1996: and surprise! she's pregnant and you challenge her husband to a duel for her...even though there's no way the marriage can be annulled and she's pregnant with the heir to scotland!

@queencatherine: i know it's debated about what she actually said to this whole thing but i hope she laughed him out of edinburgh

@historynerd1996: yeah after james relented, dueled him and kicked his ass and richard went back to london or w/e swearing REVENGE

@queencatherine: richard iii, crying his way back home: my FATHER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS. lol.

@historynerd1996: especially when showtimes' richard tried to make this look epic and manly when like...how long did it last 10 minutes??? if that??

@queencatherine: LOL RIGHT, i bet catherine had fun when all the drama went down later and she ended up leading troops against him..."

- Excerpt from a twitter thread between two UCL History students, 2020.

Interlude: August 2020
  • If you will excuse me for being nostalgic for a second, we scheduled today for a coronation ITTL and I felt like I had to briefly go to our modern Plantagenets to mark it. Consider this a short interlude with some clues as to what will happen!

Interlude - August 2020
    Mollie Powell had a long to do list as she hurtled around the halls of Westminster Abbey, with the coronation only days away there was a lot left to do - even for her, a tour guide.

What she didn't expect as she turned a corner, was the tall blonde woman paused in thought next to the tomb of Richard III. The Queen herself. Given how close the Abbey was to Westminster Palace, it wasn't exactly uncommon for members of staff to see members of the royal family. Mollie herself had only seen Princess Bridget, now the Duchess of York but that had been before Prince Arthur and Princess Charlotte had been born. Princess Bridget had introduced herself as 'Bee' and had promised not to be a bother, she just wanted to look in the archives for something for half an hour or so.

The Queen she hadn't expected...well maybe for rehearsals but not in silent contemplation by the tombs.

Mollie turned back to go but it was a calm voice that interrupted her.

"You needn't worry, there's room enough in here for both of us. My God knows how many greats grandfather made sure of that,"

Mollie's face relaxed into a nervous smile, "If you're sure Ma'am,"

"I'm sure," Queen Eleanor said, with a little laugh. "I'm just paying a visit to all of my relatives,"

"Even Richard III?" Mollie couldn't help but ask, her tone incredulous. "If you'll forgive me Ma'am, he's not exactly the most liked of your ancestors,"

"No," Eleanor said, her lips quirking in amusement. "I suppose not, but I do share a name with his wife and his daughter did set a precedent for me so I suppose I do have him to thank for that. No, I suppose he does interest me - not so much as my sister. I think Bee wrote an essay on him while she studied at Cambridge but she's the history buff of the family. Then there's me here in England and a Catherine in Scotland again, there might be truth to that saying about history not repeating but it rhymes,"

"Hopefully not as an omen," Mollie couldn't help but joke.

"Yes, well when I ever start putting women to death for witchcraft because they've annoyed me I shall fully hope that I'll be held accountable,"

"I'm sure it'd trend on the internet Ma'am,"

"That's the spirit," Eleanor chuckled, the sudden sound of a phone interrupting the conversation and it was the future Queen who rummaged through her handbag. "Ah, well it seems I'm needed,"

The blonde gave Mollie a polite nod, "I'll see you again I assume?" Without expecting an answer, she put the phone to her ear. "Alex? Is Tilly -,"

Mollie couldn't hear anymore of the conversation to what she assumed was the Prince Consort as the sound of Queen Eleanor's shoes clacking against the floor faded away. With a side glance to the tomb of Richard III beside her, Mollie glanced back down to her clipboard and hurried on.

Interlude: August 2020
  • Here’s a small interlude, less connected to where we are ITTL but I thought might as well have a small drop in before we resume. Thank you all for indulging me :p

The Order of Precedence in England and Wales (August 2020)

1. Queen Eleanor, the sovereign
    2. Prince Alexander, consort to the sovereign
    3. Princess Matilda of Wales, child of the sovereign
    (4. Catherine, Duchess of Rothesay. Sister to the sovereign. But only when in England)
    4. The Duchess of York, sister to the sovereign
    5. The Duke of York, husband to the Duchess of York
    6. Prince Arthur of York, son of the Duchess
    7. Princess Charlotte of York, daughter of the Duchess
    8. The Princess Cecily, sister to the sovereign
    9. Blanche, Princess Royal, aunt to the sovereign
    10. Princess Isabel, Duchess of Gloucester, aunt to the sovereign
    11. The Duke of Wiltshire, husband to the Princess Royal
    12. Caroline, Duchess Consort of Gloucester, wife to the Duchess of Gloucester
    13. William, Viscount Rochford, son of the Princess Royal
    14. The Lady Anne Boleyn, daughter of the Princess Royal

XXXII: 1508

It was in disgrace that Richard, Prince of Wales had been brought to London and now before his father, he sat sulking.

King Edward was as jovial as always, greeting his son with a chuckle and a ruffle of his hair.

“Well my boy, you’ve certainly caused a scene if that was your intention. Ah, youth,” Edward turned to his papers.

“Father! They insulted me, they insulted England how else was I to respond!” Richard burst out in anger, “He was to marry our Beatrice and now...”

Edward only chuckled again infuriating his son further, “Oh my boy, you are gallant. No, Beatrice is a daughter of England and she’ll be matched excellently regardless. As will you, we’ll have a good match for you and you’ll have a fine Queen,”

“You said I would marry Catherine, I wanted the finest bride and she is it,” Richard sulked

“And now she is married, we can curse God for altering the winds or trust in His plans -“

“I am the future King of England! And I-“

“Are not King yet,” Edward finished firmly, “You need not worry, we have found Eleanor of Austria for you -“

“Eleanor of Austria?” Richard echoed “But she’s a child!”

“Seven years mark the difference between the two of you Richard,” His father said calmly “And if this incident has proved anything, it is that you are not mature enough yet to make a husband and father.
    You are seventeen Richard, I hope that a few years might prepare you like it should have done...”

“Why do you care?” Richard burst out “You kept me under the governance of women when I ought to have been at Ludlow, you kept me away so that I might not mourn my own brother, you won’t defend us against the disgrace that cost me a bride and Beatrice a husband! What will you do for me except treat me like a child?”

“You speak out of turn son, would you have me ride upon Scotland for you? What good will that do us now? Apparently the Scots Queen is with child already.”

“I would have our disgrace overturned and -“

“You do not know what war costs Boy,” Edward said in a cold voice “I do, I was born in Sanctuary. A rebellion cost me my Uncle and your namesake, I will not pay the price of it for your bruised ego.” With a wave of his hand he dismissed Richard, “To Ludlow with you and if Warwick writes that you’ve even stepped a toe out of line, you will regret it,”

Richard rose, silently seething as he turned away. One day, I will have revenge against Scotland he promised himself silently. Everyone who ever treated me like a child will rue the day and one day...all of Christendom will know my name and not my father’s.

The door slammed behind him.

XXXIII: 1509
  • “Richard returned to Ludlow where it was hoped that with time, things would settle and Richard would mature and become ready for the life that lay ahead of him. It was reported that Richard, Duke of York was said to have thanked God daily for his brother’s continued good health. At Ludlow however, Richard seethed, the arrival of Eleanor of Austria was at least four years away and the wounds to his ego were not soothed by the news that came from Edinburgh in the spring of 1509. Queen Catherine had been delivered of a healthy baby boy, named James for his father. When Richard’s bride finally arrived in England, Catherine and James would have three healthy children with more to come, including the future mother-in-law to a monarch.

Richard only saw this as salt in the wound, not helped when his long time companion Arthur Tudor, Earl of Pembroke left for Richmond to marry his new Countess and start a family. He considered Arthur to have abandoned him and relations there soured. His new stalwart companion was Edmund Fitzroy, his half brother and the boys were just as bad as each other.

No one else had such an influence on Richard, aside from of course the infamous Barbara de Vere”

- Richard III, the Mind of a Tyrant

XXXIV: 1511

“Father?” Lady Beatrice called, glancing around her. “I had hoped that I might speak with you, in private?”

Edward glanced up from the rather...explicit letter he was composing for Mistress Marchwood and gave his younger daughter a nod.

“Aye, what is it?”

Beatrice took a deep breath, “I know that you and mother have been searching for a match for me and there is nothing I would rather do than serve Your Majesty as a dutiful daughter -“

“I am sensing a ‘but’ here, child,” Edward said, turning back to his letter. “I know enough of the whims of ladies that I shall eternally be confused by the lot of you. What is it it you want? Out with it,”

“Mother will not have mentioned it but I am sixteen and I have...” Beatrice lowered her voice in embarrassment “Yet to...see myself become a woman and I have seen the Physician and he suspects that perhaps it is...”

Edward visibly blanched “No, please spare me the details of women’s matters but am I to assume that it is unlikely that you would become a mother?”

Beatrice nodded, “Indeed Sire but I suspect that it is a sign from Our Good Lord,”

“A sign of what, may I ask?”

“That I should be...called to his service and a Bride of Christ rather than any mortal man, I have prayed often upon it and I...”

Edward waved a hand, cutting her off. “Your own Aunt, Lady Bridget took the veil. It is no shame for a King’s daughter to go to a nunnery and I suppose that since...well I’m sure it’d do your mother well to see you all settled before Eleanor of Austria has a lifetime of suffering. Now that Anne has gone to France,”

“If it pleases Your Majesty,” Beatrice said with a dip of her head.

“It’ll suit us well,” Edward said with a nod, “Remind me to ask your Uncle about his girls, I suspect that we’ll want to secure the border before well...”

“Father?” Beatrice asked cautiously

Edward sighed, “I fear it is too late for your brother my girl, our options are scant. I only have one living legitimate son and I suspect I must plan to limit the damage he causes before God calls me to him,”

Beatrice kept quiet, nodding as her father dismissed her then hurrying out into the corridor where Margery Fitzalan waited.

“Did you?” Margery asked a little breathlessly, linking her arm through Beatrice’s as they walked together, talking quietly.

Beatrice nodded, glancing around as she squeezed Margery’s hand. “I suspect Syon like the Lady Bridget and -“

“I’ll tell my parents I wish to take the veil beside you and that Our Lord has also called me to his service. I think they will be grateful for it,” Margery said smoothly.

“And it’ll all be fine,” Beatrice said with a smile “Because we’ll be together,”

“Yes,” Margery beamed “We always will be now,”

Last edited:
    XXXV: 1512
  • "In 1512, it can be said that futures of most of the surviving children of Edward V and Queen Anne had taken shape. The Lady Anne was married, in France and pregnant with the first of her children, the Princess Madeleine. Lady Beatrice had quietly gone to Syon Abbey and taken the vow alongside her companion Lady Margery Fitzalan. In more recent times, historians often debated the nature of their relationship - with a strong assertion from a particular group that it was simply a great bond of friendship between the girls. However, with the donation from the Royal Archives from Princesses Eleanor and Bridget we can understand that in their letters the two women did consider themselves married, even if their relationship could never be made public. Some of their letters remain lost and they were undiscovered until routine work at Syon found the parcel bricked up behind an old wall, but as far as we can understand it - the two women privately made their promises before God and thus considered themselves as married as most couples of the era. Lady Anne, we understand may have been aware of their relationship as in her letters to Lady Beatrice she often enquires after Lady Margery. The pair experienced a quiet life at Syon together, away from the tumultuous reign of Richard III.

What she thought of the events, we cannot say aside from the curious incident where Lady Barbara de Vere early in her courtship of King Richard fled to Syon to seek sanctuary. Reportedly she may have considered taking vows but she was found by her family and returned to Court. After that it is said that she resigned herself to Richard's bed.

With her children beginning their own lives, Queen Anne - who had never quite been well since the birth of Prince Edmund, the would be Duke of Brittany contracted another infection. She was never fully healthy again after the death of her youngest son and in the winter of 1512, the Queen breathed her last.

While the court was in mourning black, Richard, Prince of Wales set his sights on not the first of his conquests but one of the few young women of his age at Ludlow.

Lady Cecily, daughter of the Earl of Warwick and Isabel of Gloucester, who had been brought to marry Lord Edmund Fitzroy.

It did not go well."

- Richard III, Mind of a Tyrant

Last edited:
    XXXVI: 1513
  • "Lady Cecily was the only daughter of Edward of Warwick and Isabel of Gloucester, the pair had two children together - their eldest son of course being Richard of Warwick, named for his grandfather. She was young, of age with Edmund Fitzroy and it was thought that he might do well with a close match to the family to keep him in line. Philippa of York, eldest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of York was considered but deemed inappropriate as it was thought that Edmund might start getting ideas above his station. Philippa herself was being feted as a match for Henry Percy before Henry himself eloped with the daughter of a knight and caused a scandal putting an end to that matter.

Richard of Warwick lived at Ludlow and was companion to the Prince of Wales though the pair were never particularly close. He was however close with his sister Cecily though Cecily spent the majority of her time at Warwick Castle, it being deemed that the Prince of Wales was not yet mature enough to deal with the proximity of Cecily who was considered one of the emerging beauties of England. However in the spring of 1513, it was deemed that Lord Edmund Fitzroy was ready to marry and Richard of Warwick rode and collected his sister, arriving with her at Ludlow before being called on urgent business to London. By the time she arrived, Edmund Fitzroy had caught a chill and it would be some weeks before he recovered and could marry Cecily.

Of course, that was when the trouble began."

- The Forgotten Children of Edward V: A biography by Daniel Adams.

"Dickon,

As you know my intended is currently not well enough to marry and so my wait to become a bride has begun. Mother is busy keeping an eye on Edmund and Father is busy with the business of Ludlow since the Prince of Wales...is not interested. He is unsupervised and has declared that he fancies me for a bride! I haven't told Mother or Father yet, I don't wish to worry them but the Prince is...persistent. Despite the fact I've told him repeatedly that I am sworn to marry his half brother.

I know its a lot to ask and London is more important but...if you could would you ride back as fast as possible?

I appreciate having you in my corner in this matter.

Cecy."

"Dickon,

The situation here has gotten more dire, the Prince seems to be under the delusion that we are in some grand secretive romance like the old stories. He has suggested we elope, I have reminded him that I am waiting to marry Lord Fitzroy. I am planning to tell Father in the morning and hopefully he will send me back to Warwick and Lord Edmund can ride to me once he is well.

I pray that God will end this farce.

Cecy."

- Excerpts from letters of Cecily of Warwick to her elder brother.

"Ludlow was in all of a state when morning rose, for to the horror of everyone the Prince of Wales was missing from his bed again and so was Lady Cecily. The Prince had done the unthinkable...he had kidnapped her to elope with her."

- Richard III, Mind of a Tyrant

"He did what?!" came the almighty roar from the King's chambers, it was only with a gentle pat on the arm from Frances Marchwood that he calmed down.

"Did I not tell the boy? If I heard hide nor hair of him getting into trouble then he'd rue the day that he was ever born!"

Everyone else in the room stayed quiet until Edward had calmed himself some and he shot Richard of Warwick an almost sympathetic look, "I can only be sorry for the behaviour of my son on poor Lady Cecily, a gentleman does not behave in such a way," Edward said firmly. "You said that the Lady had been found? And he didn't go through with his foolish plan?"

Richard of Warwick nodded, "My father sent a messenger as soon as he was able, the Prince of Wales found a chaplain but he was unwilling to marry them especially when my sister was protesting such and managed to stall the Prince until my father found them. He says that the Prince is in his chambers sire and he awaits your orders for how to deal with the Prince,"

"Well he can bloody well lock my son in his chambers as apparently that's the only way we'll keep him there until his bride gets here and we better keep this quiet as we can. Apparently the girl's already left so at least Philip of Austria can't refuse to send her now, I'll not have him resorting to kidnap to get out of it," Edward sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Keep Richard confined until the wedding, I don't care how much he sulks. Edmund is on the mend so as long as he can speak, he can speak his wedding vows so he marries Cecily immediately - I don't care if he has to be propped up at the altar. Then get the pair of them out of there sharpish, so that my idiotic son doesn't get anymore ideas,"

Edward could feel a headache coming on, "I had planned to title Edmund anyway, hopefully a well titled daughter will do something to curb my cousin's...frustrations at having to raise my son. Not that any of us have apparently done a good job,"

He gave Richard of Warwick a curt nod, "Please send my apologies to your mother and father, hopefully once he's actually married this idiocy can be resolved - if he wasn't my only son I would..." Edward cut himself off sharply. "Someone fetch me a drink and I want all of you to go. Now!"

Then his gaze turned upon Frances Marchwood and he softened, "Except for you Frances, I need you."

XXXVII: 1513
  • "As Eleanor of Austria was being escorted over to her new husband who was now firmly under house arrest at Ludlow, a fact he repeatedly complained about in his diaries. North of the border in Edinburgh as autumn blew in, Scotland who had been trucking along nicely despite the incident a few years before came to a screeching halt. James IV was involved in a hunting accident and came off his horse violently, he was brought immediately back and it was an agonizing few days.

Queen Catherine was by his side, a balm that was said to soothe James but whatever efforts were made were inevitably futile as what we now understand as infection set in. He died in September of 1513 with his beloved Queen by his side. Their young son, James became James V and the sudden turn of events left Catherine, mother of three children and pregnant with her fourth, as regent. A move that was initially not well received due to Catherine's gender.

When he heard the news, Richard wrote to his father presumably seeing opportunity.

According to old legend, any letters he received from his son, Edward V threw into the fire and he so proclaimed that he would not see his son until his wedding day."

- Bonnie Queen Catherine by Dr Jean Sinclair.