Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

I. Opening
  • "They would call him 'The Boy King' in the early days, especially when he rode down into London to great fanfare. There was some push back and forth about the coronation, especially between Prince Richard, Lord Protector and the Dowager Queen, Elizabeth Woodville, friction between the pair became even more apparent in the days leading up to the event. There was even some gossip that the Lord Protector was even trying to prevent his young nephew from becoming King at all, claims that Richard would later, fiercely denied. Whatever debate there may have been about the event, it was with a grand procession that the young King was brought to Westminster Abbey and crowed by Thomas Bourchier, Archbishop of Canterbury and so began the reign of Edward V. A new King for the House of Plantagenet that still rules England to this very day,"

- An excerpt from 'White Roses', aired on the BBC in August 2020 in honour of the coronation of Queen Eleanor.

Long-term site lurker here! This timeline is based on a long running rp which has since recently closed and which we thought would be fun to write out in a more official sense. It is based on the premise of what if Edward V had not become one of the infamous 'Princes in the Tower'. I have some notes that I'm looking forward to transcribing and a very small family tree focusing on the main line, which I would enjoy fleshing out. Suggestions are absolutely welcome :)

II. May 1483
  • May 1483

Along the banks of the Thames, the royal barge floated in a grand procession with the new King Edward at its head.

From their position by the window, the two women could see the King and they could all too clearly hear the shouts and cheers, "Long Live the King!", "King Edward!" It was a grand spectacle, and the younger, a fair girl of seventeen turned to her mother.

"I hadn't realised how tall he is now," Princess Elizabeth remarked, her mother was still staring and watching the procession go by. In truth, she would have preferred to be down there with her brother but their mother was in mourning for their father still, it would hardly do for her mother dressed in all black to be down there and Elizabeth had promised to remain by her side. "I suppose he will always be a small boy in my eyes, even when I am away and married and he is a grown man,"

"He will be a great King," the Dowager Queen said, not taking her eyes off her boy. "The greatest one England has ever seen,"

Elizabeth nodded, "Of course, My Lady Mother. He is a sweet boy and I am sure Uncle Richard will guide him well,"

Elizabeth Woodville gave her daughter a sharp look at that, "Your Uncle did not wish for your brother to be crowned at all, Elizabeth, do not forget that,"

"Edward is the King now, Mother. He has been crowned and I am sure that Uncle Richard understands that,"

"He may be King but he is a boy still,"

"And he will not be a boy forever,"

"No," Elizabeth Woodville shook her head, "But he is still my boy before he is anyone else's," She turned to her daughter, "I fear I will have need of you, daughter. Will you promise to help me?"

"Mother, I -,"

"Swear to your old Lady Mother, you know all I wish to do is protect our Edward. All I do is to protect all of you,"

Despite a cool feeling of dread in her stomach, Elizabeth found herself nodding. "Of course, Lady Mother. For our boy,"

III. Edward V, Part I: Dramatis Personae
  • Edward V, Part I by William Shakespeare

Dramatis Personae

Edward V
    Richard, Duke of Gloucester, the King's Uncle
    Richard, Duke of York, brother to the King
    Elizabeth, the Dowager Queen
    Lady Elizabeth, the King's Sister
    Lady Cecily, the King's Sister
    Anne, Duchess of Brittany, later Queen of England
    Margaret, a lady to the Dowager Queen
    Henry Tudor, son to Margaret

"They will call these years the false spring, as all rejoiced when the young king began to grow to man. All thought peace would last and Edward, all of England could not have had a finer King. From Brittany came his bride at last, the fair Anne and no one noticed the signs of false spring turning to bleak winter as a plot began to emerge."

- from the opening monologue of Edward V.

IV: 1487
  • "Much of course, has been made of the events leading up to the arrival of Anne of Brittany in England. It was just shy of a decade since Edward V had ascended to the throne, the times had surprisingly been peaceful, no doubt steered by the careful hand of the Lord Protector. Though behind the scenes trouble often brewed, the relationship between the Duke of Gloucester and the Dowager Queen has been a sticking point for many historians - especially when the fallout was explosive as it was. Edward V himself was eager to prove himself not a boy king anymore and the events of 1487 are evidence enough of that."

- Edward V, the Young Son of England by Dr. John Belcourt

"It is believed now that Elizabeth had a larger hand in the affair than she let on, but Edward V championing himself as 'the Peacemaker King' with the typical self confidence of a 17 year old boy considered it his own grand idea. The Duke of Gloucester reportedly attempted to talk him out of it many times, but it only lead to a searing argument between uncle and nephew. Edward is reported to have coldly reminded the Uncle to "Remember who your King is," Either way, the news was announced and a certain few were taken aback."

- Elizabeth Woodville, a Life by Dr Sarah Chandler

"You have heard the news I expect? Our Bess is to be married soon, Mother has wanted her close and pleaded with Edward to abstain from marrying her away. You have to wonder why she would agree to it now and Bess too, given how steadfast she held..."

- Excerpt from a letter from Cecily of England, sister to the Edward V

V: 1487
  • Richard, Duke of Gloucester was not in the brightest of moods as the guards stood aside for him to enter his nephew's rooms. He had heard the announcement and his nephew hadn't even consulted him on the matter, he could only hope that he could reason with the boy before it was too late.

Edward glanced up upon his arrival, "Ah Uncle," He said with a cheerful smile, "Good to see you, I suppose you have heard the announcement now?"

"I have," Richard said, gritting his teeth, "And I have come to insist to Your Majesty, that such a marriage cannot happen - it is a foolish move,"

"You think me a fool Uncle?" Edward asked coldly.

"You are not a fool Edward," Richard sighed, "Surely you can see of no good coming of this? Henry Tudor, a man who has sought your own throne for years returning to England and marrying him to your sister, of all people? He is our enemy, not our friend and -,"

"That is where you are wrong Uncle," Edward said sharply, "Lady Margaret herself came to beg upon bended knee for her son's return, he has written letters submitting to my rule and says he only wishes to return to his home country. With Bess married to him then he will be tied tightly enough to us that he cannot move against us and Bess knows the importance of binding him to us," He let out a chuckle, "Henry Tudor is a fool if he ever thought he could take my throne from me and such a fool is easily blinded to the charms of a beautiful woman, especially one as lovely as our dear Bess. The minute he sets foot in England, he will be watched - he will not make a move without my knowing so,"

"Edward," Richard felt the urge to get a stiff drink, "You must know that this will not end well, that Henry Tudor would not just fall into acknowledging your rule and we would be playing directly into his hands,"

"On the contrary Uncle, God has seen to finally give Henry Tudor intelligence and will I not be seen as a highly merciful King to reunite him with his own Mother and unite our own warring parties at last? They can call me the Peacemaker King," Edward chuckled "I can see it now, Mother told me that they would write great things of my reign and -,"

"Your mother? Was this the Dowager Queen's idea?" Richard blurted out, the years had been fraught between them and Margaret Beaufort was counted among Elizabeth Woodville's ladies but her son was safe on his throne. What would she hope to win from this? What sort of game was she playing?

"It was no one's idea but my own," Edward snapped, "I am a man now, I am the King and neither you nor my mother will tell me what to do. I am the King here Uncle and you would do well to remember it, instead of questioning the authority that God gave me,"

There was silence between them for a few long moments, before Richard rose to leave. "Aye, you are the King and this is your choice,"

The fool he was, he had made his own bed all in favor of being known by history and he could lie in it now. Why had God given him such a stubborn boy for a nephew?

VI: 1487
  • "Initially Edward's grand peacemaking gesture appeared to go remarkably well, Henry Tudor arrived in England for the first time in sixteen years. Now a man of thirty, he was greeted at the docks by a small party including his mother, Lady Margaret who was keen to embrace her son. Accompanying Margaret was Henry's bride to be, Elizabeth of York who at 21 was considered one of the great beauties of her brother's court. There the pair met formally for the first time, though decades later in the reign of Richard IV, letters between the pair were discovered for the first time confirming they had been in contact for sometime prior to their official first meeting. Though the letters proved they had been in contact and they had struck up something of a friendship, the younger Elizabeth's role in what would ensue is still up for debate.

The pair were married in a small ceremony, one befitting Elizabeth's status but not giving her groom too many airs. Many of the family were in attendance to bless what was hoped to be a union between the long warring factions, with one notable exception - Richard, Duke of Gloucester. Richard's wife, Anne did write Elizabeth a rather tense note of congratulations on their wedding. One "historian" and I do use that term loosely has taken this as "evidence" of Richard's passionate love for his niece, rather than the more logical conclusion that he did not approve of the match.

Regardless, the Earl and Countess of Richmond went north then to Richmond Castle, North Yorkshire and for a while, it appeared as though Henry Tudor had indeed been truthful. That he simply wished to live a quiet life in the country with his new bride, Edward was known to crow about his grand achievement but of course things were not that simple and Edward would soon come to rue the day,"

- Edward V, the Young Son of England by Dr. John Belcourt

"Bess has written to me from Yorkshire, she mentions that she is writing to you plenty as well but I will say that she and her new husband seem to be quite fond of each other. Ned writes that he is pleased by the match and I suppose with these results he ought to be [...] it would not surprise me if we have news from Richmond soon, that an heir to the Earldom is on the way."

- An excerpt from a letter from Cecily of England to Elizabeth Woodville

VII: June 1488
  • June 1488

"I am sorry that we could not have hosted you to better weather, Mother," Elizabeth, Countess of Richmond said as she glanced to the rain thundering against the windows as she glanced up from her work. "I am happy to have you here at the very least,"

"Mm," The Dowager Queen remarked, her stare was out at the windows but Elizabeth could see that her mother wasn't paying much attention, lost in her own thoughts.

"It won't be long until I go into confinement and I daresay that I shall be glad for the company," Elizabeth continued, "I should have liked to have more of the girls with me but Cecily sails for Portugal soon and I'm sure that the girls will all be married women before we know it and then Ned's little bride will come from Brittany -,"

"And I will wonder at how you all have grown," Elizabeth Woodville interrupted with a little laugh, "It seems barely five minutes ago that you were barely the height of my knee, Bess. Now here you are, a woman grown and you are to give me another grandchild before the winter,"

Elizabeth smiled at her mother, before her smile froze a little - not liking the look on her mother's face.

"Mother?"

"Have you thought, what you and Henry will do once the child comes?"

"We have talked of it yes, at present I doubt Henry would receive a warm reception at court so we plan to remain here at least for now but if the King asks for me then I'll come of course. If God Willing, we have a son, we do hope that he may be raised alongside a Prince of Wales so that he might be the most loyal subject to his cousin,"

Elizabeth Woodville pressed her lips together, "And your husband has not spoken anymore of his...previous ambitions?"

"You mean if he intends to raise support against Ned?" Elizabeth asked bluntly

"Ambition does not die hard Bess, especially when a man thinks that he deserves a throne. I gave birth to the King in sanctuary,"

"Is that not why I married Henry when I ought to have married abroad? Why I am only a Countess by marriage, when as a Princess my prospects should have been as high as my sisters? To tie him to us tightly so that his ambition would never..." Elizabeth trailed off, "He is a good husband to me Mother, he knows how much I love Ned and he would not do that to me,"

"Yes well, your husband is not the only man in England who has ever thought of the throne Bess, I do not doubt that if your Uncle found a reason not to have crowned Ned then he would have taken it,"

"Can we dwell in mights, Mother? That did not happen, Ned sits the throne and God Willing within five years, we'll have a Prince of Wales within the nursery. England belongs to the House of York,"

Elizabeth Woodville glanced at her daughter, "I wish I had your confidence, my girl,"

VIII: 1488
  • "I was glad to hear your news from Portugal, I hope that you will find happiness there. Mother said that she had told you our news in her last letter, God has blessed Hal and I with a son. Admittedly we did struggle on what to name him, naming him for one of Hal's relatives seemed out of the question and I fear Uncle Richard would take great offense if we named a Tudor boy for him, as would Ned. We have settled on a name at last though, his name will be Arthur."

- Excerpt from a letter to the Duchess of Beja from the Countess of Richmond

"At least Bess seems happy with her 'Hal', given how many children the Lord saw fit to bless me with and how besotted they seem with each other, I shouldn't say it would be too long before she is with child once more."

- Excerpt from a letter by the Dowager Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

"If anything, the birth of a son did nothing to settle Henry Tudor and only served to remind him of what he believed to be his birthright. He was in England, he had a healthy son and he had found happiness with his wife, yet his mother certainly had lofty ambitions for him. There was a year of quiet in North Yorkshire, where the Earl and Countess of Richmond appeared to be getting on quietly and were apparently eagerly trying for a second child. Henry and his mother, Margaret, however had been plotting and a game of whispers was a foot.

The Tudors had been playing a long game, a game that they were now rapidly tiring of playing."

- Henry Tudor, 'The King-Who-Could-Have-Been' by Dr. Sarah Chandler.

"They have been arguing again, Lord Gloucester and the Dowager Queen, apparently they are always in some spat or another.

One would hope that now the King is a man, that he would soothe them but the King has been rather preoccupied late, ever since Lady Alice came to court...

Lord Gloucester said something odd to her today after their usual bickering, he spoke loudly in front of all of us - saying that he had recently become acquainted with knowledge of a young lady and asked if My Lady had ever known her.

A lady now gone to be with God, that they called Eleanor Butler."

- From the diary of Jane, Maid of Honour to Elizabeth Woodville

IX: 1489
  • "In the summer of 1489, Edward V's attentions were far from the duties of a King as he approached his nineteenth birthday. As one astute court observer noted, the Young King was rapidly growing out of boyhood...into a man that was far too much like his father and mother both. His attention was caught in July by a new arrival to court, Alice Stanley, daughter to Thomas, Baron Stanley, the 'King of Mann'. Alice was the only one of Stanley's daughters not to die young and with Anne of Brittany's arrival in England expected to be within the year, she was brought to court by her stepmother Lady Margaret Beaufort in the hopes of securing a position in the new Queen's household.

Edward was known by then for his wandering eye, especially for the young ladies of the court and Alice, an attractive seventeen year old and something 'new' to the court did not take long to catch his eye."

- The Many Loves of Edward V, BBC Documentary

"Ned is besotted, though what he sees in the girl only God knows. She's a comely enough thing with a little wit with an easy tendency to sulk and blow hot and cold whenever the wind changes. He is well within his rights as a King, of course, still one must hope when his little bride arrives that she is understanding and can put the chit in her place.

For someone needs to do it and preferably fast,"

- Excerpt from a letter to the Countess of Richmond from the Dowager Queen

X: August 1489
  • August 1489

"Well girl, have you at least learned anything useful?"

The silence from her stepdaughter was all too revealing and Margaret Beaufort gave an exasperated sigh before glancing over at her husband, Thomas simply gave his daughter a warning look.

"Answer your Lady Stepmother," Thomas said in that quiet but dangerous tone his daughter knew all too well.

"Is that what you want?" Alice answered pouting, "Information because you're sure he'll tire of me? Well he's mad for me and he says that he loves me and -,"

"All the usual platitudes because a man wants to take a girl in his bed," Thomas said with an eyeroll, "Be sensible child, he's like his father, he'll say anything to get you into bed and keep you there until he tires of you. You're all different, you're all his one true lady love and he will ride in your honor at the next joust,"

Alice scowled at that and Margaret Beaufort resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"Well Alice?" She asked again, "The King has taken you into his confidence, has he told you anything?"

"Mostly that he is tired of playing peacemaker between his mother and Uncle Gloucester," Alice said finally, folding her arms in a sulk. "His mother told him that the Duke of Gloucester had threatened him and -,"

"Threatened him?"

"He said that he thought his Lady Mother was being ridiculous," Alice protested

"Is this about the Eleanor Butler business again?" Margaret Beaufort raised a swift eyebrow, "Is Gloucester continuing that line of thought?"

"Lord help us all," Thomas snorted, "If he'd known about Eleanor Butler back when the King was young then, who knows what he might have done,"

"I don't understand Papa?" Alice frowned, "Who is Eleanor Butler,"

"One of Old King Edward's former -," Margaret made a dismissive sound, unable to bring herself to say it.

"The Earl of Shrewsbury's girl, one of his passing infatuations and gone to be with Our Lord now," Thomas shrugged, "If he means to indeed keep implying that he tried the same trick on Eleanor that he did on the Dowager Queen, well perhaps he still hopes that he can still get another son off Anne Neville,"

"After she almost died in childbed with Lady Isabel?" It was Margaret's turn to snort, "Not likely,"

"What does this matter?" Alice rolled her eyes, "It's just the usual spat between them, it will fade soon enough," She turned to her father entreating him with pleading eyes, "You don't understand Papa, Edward wants to marry me!"

Margaret resisted the urge to smack the girl as Thomas closed his eyes as if in pain, "In the Lord's name, girl," He sighed.

"But he says that he wants to!"

"Yes and your stepmother would like to sit at the right hand side of the Lord but we cannot all have what we want. If you have at least had a brain cell astute enough to notice my girl, the King is engaged and a Queen Anne will sit by his side,"

"He's not married yet," Alice sulked

"Yes and he really will forsake the heiress to Brittany for you, tell me my girl what do you have to offer him in marriage?"

"Our Dowager Queen was the daughter of an Earl and Henry married a Princess," Alice pouted "I don't see why -,"

"If you hadn't noticed everyone's reaction to your stepbrother's marriage then you have less in your head than I thought," Thomas said harshly, "And that at least served some purpose of attempting to soothe the past, though since it has not quelled your stepmother's desires I would think not. I would suggest, girl, that you remove yourself of any airs you've been given because the King thinks you're a comely maiden. You will not have your arse on that throne and any children you would have by the King would be Fitzroys. You will not be a Queen, thank the Lord. Do I make myself clear?"

Alice said nothing, stoney faced and silent.

XI: 1489
  • “The King’s Little Bride is coming to Dover, the missive from Brittany says we ought to expect her within the fortnight. Alice has not taken the news well, I know that you are to be amongst the party to greet our future Queen. Please remind her to smile and be gracious to the young lady and not to sulk too terribly...”

Excerpt from a letter from Thomas, Baron Stanley to his wife, Lady Margaret.

“The future Queen Anne came ashore to fanfare, England had not had a Queen in almost a decade and there was delight that the succession would at last be secured. A party was sent to greet her at Dover, including the Dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville and her future sisters-in-law, the Countess of Richmond and Lady Elizabeth Hastings, the soon to be Duchess of York.

She was a well sought after heiress by the time she was eleven and noted to be a woman who promoted the interests of Brittany. Still as she emerged from the ship and greeted her welcoming party, Anne was a slender young woman and while not plain, not a great beauty. “

- The Many Loves of Edward V, BBC Documentary

“We should be with you soon enough, you asked me to forewarn you so that His Majesty might be prepared.

“She’s a nice enough girl and we are of a similar age, clever but not a great beauty. I think he will like her but given how mad he is for his current Lady, I worry if he will like her enough.”

Excerpt from a letter by Lady Elizabeth Hastings to her intended, the Duke of York

XII: September 1489
  • September 1489

The party had arrived at Westminster on time, most considered that a sign of luck. It had seemed far too long since England had a Queen and now from her place in the procession, Elizabeth Hastings glanced ahead where the King stood awaiting his bride. At his left stood, Gloucester, the King’s Uncle and at his right stood, Richard, her betrothed and the Duke of York.

His eyes were searching for her in the ladies assembled behind Anne of Brittany and Elizabeth caught his gaze, giving him a small smile. Glancing back, she saw the Countess of Richmond who had caught the look between them and looked amused.

At last the party came to a halt before the King and Elizabeth joined them in curtseying before His Majesty.

All stood with baited breath as Edward approached Anne.

“My Lady,” Edward said, as he bent to kiss her hand. “I bid you welcome to England,”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” Anne spoke, her English was only slightly accented, a fact Elizabeth had put down to the numerous times she’d overheard the young woman practising. She herself had volunteered to assist her as had Lady Margaret of Clarence, Anne had been most worried about embarrassing herself before the King.

“I am happy to at last be in your presence,” Anne continued, not once faltering over her speech, a fact that caused Elizabeth to smile.

“As am I in the presence of such a beautiful lady,” Edward said and Elizabeth caught the look on the future Queen’s face.

Anne was not plain, she was pretty enough and Elizabeth had the sense that she would not easily fall for such compliments.

It seemed like barely any time since the formal greeting passed and the King called for music, taking to the floor to dance with his bride to be.

Elizabeth crosses the room, walking to the side of her betrothed.

“She did well,” Richard said, giving her a smile as she came to stand by his side. “What is she like?”

“She’s clever and kind,” Elizabeth said “I know I wrote to you but I quite like the lady, I think she would be a good Queen if His Majesty let her,”

She studied the figures on the dance floor, while not the best dancer at court, Anne moved gracefully enough and was in conversation with Edward.

So far, so good.

“Yes, well we needn’t doubt Ned’s virility. He’s already sired two and I doubt it’ll be long before he gets one on Lady Alice,”

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, “Two? Well hopefully we’ll have a Prince of Wales in the cradle by this time next year,”

“Aye,” Richard nodded, deep in thought and Elizabeth was content to remain by his side.

At last the music came to a stop and they all applauded, the musicians taking up a new tune as members of the court began to turn to the dance floor.

“Will you dance Beth?”

Richard held his hand out to her and she smiled.

“Well,” Elizabeth said, her voice teasing. “If it is you, I suppose,”

Together, the Duke and his future Duchess took to the floor.

XIII: 1489
  • "Act I, Scene V

Enter GLOUCESTER and ELIZABETH, LADY MARGARET and attendants.

ELIZABETH: My Lord, they say that you dishonor me.
    GLOUCESTER: I would not dishonor a lady but thou hast no honor to be dishonored by.
    ELIZABETH: How so do you proclaim this to be, My Lord? I was Queen of fair England, Queen of the May to our much loved King. Now he is with God, I am mother to our fair and honorable King. Thine own nephew who holds you in great countenance. I ask again My Lord, pray tell me what I have done to be so dishonored?
    GLOUCESTER: You call yourself mine own sister and I would say so.
    ELIZABETH: Why would you not say so? I am thine own sister, married to thy brother and crowned as God hath ordained.
    GLOUCESTER: And yet, in front of all these people I will ask you again. There was a maid named Eleanor Butler whom it is said my brother loved and would have made his bride, it is said in some circles that he indeed hath made her his bride.
    ELIZABETH: Silence, you speak too loosely of falsehoods as though they were true.
    GLOUCESTER: Do I speak any lies? Tell me Madam, are you indeed my sister?

LADY MARGARET: (aside to audience) Can this be true? Does he really mean to say such a thing? To my son in the North I will write, if people do so talk then the King is not the King and as God himself intended, I will see my boy upon the throne at last."

- from Edward V Part 1 by William Shakespeare

XIV: November 1489
  • November 1489

Bess had woken at the sound of hooves.

She pushed herself upwards, glad for the small curve of her belly and that she wasn't yet as large as she was with Arthur. Her bed was empty, their bed as she had come to think of it. Hal so often slept beside her that it was difficult to think of the bedchambers and the bed as anything but theirs. She blinked, her eyes adjusting to the dim lighting and there in the corner of the room by candle was Hal, studying a letter and frowning intently.

"Hal?" Bess called out, "Is all well?"

Hal turned to her, trying to hide the seriousness of his face with a false smile. "It's fine Bess, really go back to sleep,"

"Then why do you look so worried, love?" Bess frowned as she slipped out of bed, padding across the room towards him. "What in God's name is it?"

They stared at each other for a beat, Bess' eyes searching his face before Hal's face at last softened, "It's my Mother, she sent a message from Westminister,"

"Why? Is Lady Margaret not well?"

"Bess..." Hal sighed, "It's your Uncle and your mother, they've fought again but it's been a terrible one this time. In front of many witnesses he made insinuations about her marriage and -,"

"Uncle Richard?" Bess frowned, "But what sort? Why would he do such a thing? Hasn't he taken good care of Ned all of these years, I know he and Mother haven't exactly been cordial but they both love Ned and -,"

"Bess, he asked her if she truly was his sister and implied that he married Lady Butler instead which would make you and your siblings -,"

"Bastards," Bess answered flatly. "If Father had already been married, then I would be a bastard as would my siblings and Ned would not by rights sit the throne,"

Hal nodded and Bess studied his face intently, searching for something that she hoped would not be there.

"Hal, I know there have been whispers of a gathering in the North even if they haven't been paying attention in London with the wedding. Please tell me that you're not thinking of..." Bess trailed off unable to finish it.

"Bess," Hal gave her a soft, tender look.

"Is that what your Mother has asked you to do?" Bess asked quietly, "Has she asked you to try and lead them? Against my family? Is that what she wants? Is that what you want?"

"What do you suggest I do Bess?" Henry asked, tearing his gaze from her towards the window.

"You know what I would say," Bess answered, as she reached for his hand and held it with her own. Then between them, for a long time - there was only silence.

XV: 1489
  • "Beth,

I know tomorrow was to be our wedding day and we will be married as soon as I return home. If you haven't heard the news by now, the North has risen and Ned has sent Uncle Richard to deal with it. I suspect Ned is upset about what he heard our Uncle say about our mother and is making him prove his loyalty again. I am to ride alongside our Uncle, hopefully the rebels will be but down quickly and I will return to you.

Yours,

Richard."

- Excerpt from a letter by Richard, Duke of York.

"Uncle and Nephew held the charge, determined to put down the rebels at all costs. A skirmish between the loyalists and the rebels occurred close in Aldfield, near Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire. What happened there no one could have expected."

- Edward V by Dr Natalie Bower

"Ned,

He is dead. They killed him, our Uncle Richard. We tried to take his body but the rebels have taken it from us, tell Aunt Anne that I will not rest until I can send him home to her.

I will quash this rebellion for you brother, for you and our Uncle,"

- Excerpt from a letter by Richard, Duke of York

XVI: December 1489
  • December 1489

The court had almost instantly been wrapped in mourning black.

From her place in the Queen’s household, Beth had watched the events unfold. The King had taken to his chambers in grief and it had been left to one person to step up in his absence. The new Queen.

Beth had crossed her fingers for her future sister in law, but it turned out that she needn’t have worried. Anne had stepped up with a calm and dignified air as she dispatched orders from her chambers with the authority of a true Queen.

“I have written personally to the Duchess of Gloucester to express my sorrow,” Anne said as she passed the letter to Beth. “And to let her know if there’s anything that she has need of or the Lady Isabel then she is to let me know and I will handle it personally. If you could see that a messenger rides out with it at once Beth?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Beth dipped into a curtsey before pausing “Do you wish me to call on the King for you?”

Anne have Beth a wry smile, “I have no doubt that he has called on Lady Alice for comfort and I should not wish to disturb him in his hour of need,”

“Of course, Your Majesty,” Beth said, turning to go.

“Beth?”

She turned back seeing Anne looking at her with a soft smile.

“I am sure your Richard will return to us in triumph soon enough,”

Beth flushed and dipped again, lower this time. A gesture that she could only hope showed her thanks.

As she began her walk out into the corridors, she found herself being matched step for step by Lady Margaret of Clarence.

“Meg?” Beth asked, knowing when the other girl wanted to tell her something.

“She hasn’t bled since the wedding!” Meg blurted out in a hushed whisper.

“Are you sure?” Beth hissed back, glancing around to see if they’d been overheard.

“I am, I know it’s only been a few weeks but...”

“It might be a sign,” Beth murmured as she hurried on, even more determined to deliver a message now. Perhaps some good might come out of all of this.

XVII: 1490
  • “Our records of the mourning period for Richard, Duke of Gloucester at this time have been lost. Destroyed by the days of Queen Caroline and all that came later. We know that Anne Neville remained at her estates, taking dutiful care of her daughter. Though her two wards, her sister Isabel’s children, by now had arrived at court. Margaret of Clarence had taken up a position in Queen Anne’s household and was rapidly become one of her chief confidants.

The King himself seemed fond enough of his new bride, he did his duty and Anne stepped up in his grief. It was Alice Stanley, his current mistress he turned to for comfort, in weeks he barely left her side.

It wasn’t too much of a shock as winter continued that Alice Stanley’s belly began to swell.

What became difficult was a few short weeks later, the Queen announced her first pregnancy,”

-Dr Natalie Bower, Edward V

“In the North, Richard, Duke of York struggled against the rebels without the aid of his older and more experienced Uncle. He wrote devotedly almost every day to his future wife, then the Lady Elizabeth Hastings. He did not hide the truth from her, feeling that things were bleak and that the King himself might be forced to come north to flatten the rebellion once and for all.

Then on a cold winter day, aid came to Richard’s side. Not sent by the crown, but a man on horseback leading men of his lands having rallied support. The man was not one people expected to have come, much less with aid for the crown.

In fact, he had been so quiet that some suspected he had a hand in the rebellion. For having ridden to the side of his brother in law was Henry Tudor,”

-White Roses, BBC Documentary

XVIII: 1490
  • "The rebels at last subdued, many men were taken into custody and were escorted to the tower. The body of Richard of Gloucester was recovered from the rebels and Richard was buried at the request of his widow, the Lady Anne in York Minster with all the pomp that was befitting to a man who was both brother and uncle to Kings. Still Richard, Duke of York and Henry, Earl of Richmond arrived in London to much triumph. It was not the only shock left, not in Henry Tudor's arsenal."

- Edward V, Dr Natalie Bower.

"Act IV, Scene IV

Enter EDWARD, RICHARD OF YORK, HENRY TUDOR

Edward: Thou has proven to be a loyal subject, where once there was war now there will be peace.
    Henry: As a loyal subject of my King, it offends me to report untimely news. There is a snake in the grass at court.
    Edward: Of what pray tell, do you speak?

Enter LADY ELIZABETH with a letter

Lady Elizabeth: My husband speaks true, brother. Here lies a note calling for him to join the rebels against you, as he is a loyal servant of Your Majesty he did not.
    Richard: This letter is treason and who, tell us, is the traitor in our court? Who would wish us so ill?
    Henry: At the end you will see a name.
    Edward: Who is the man who wishes to betray us?
    Henry: It is no man, My King. There you seen written plain, the name of mine own mother - Lady Margaret."

- excerpt from Edward V by William Shakespeare

XIX: 1490
  • "Good Evening and if I may thank you all for attending the opening of our new exhibition, the National Archives is pleased to open this new exhibition in conjecture with Queen Eleanor's coronation next month. I would also like to thank our patron, Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of York for being present this evening and kindly opening our exhibit. This exhibit showcases for the first time many writings of the royal family, travelling all the way back to Edward V. Our patron's many times great grandfather as a matter of fact.

Of course one item we are thrilled to introduce for the first time in public display is the so called Margaret's Call to Arms. This letter, given as evidence as to the treason of Lady Margaret Beaufort. It was handed over by her son, Henry who confessed to his mother's crimes after coming heroically to the rescue of Richard, Duke of York. In Shakespeare's dramatisation of the events, it is the subject of much anguish for Henry as he monologues about his pain of having a traitor for a mother. It is his wife Elizabeth who hands the letter to her brother, though her location is unverifiable at the time, many scholars believe that she was in fact at their estates. We will however forgive Shakespeare his flair for the dramatic. As I'm sure, Owen, Duke of York will forgive the portrayal of his many times great grandmother.

Henry's motivations around reporting his mother for treason remain unclear, after Margaret Beaufort was removed to the tower - Henry was upgraded to Duke of Richmond in return for his loyalty and young Arthur Tudor was guaranteed a place in the royal nursery. As were his siblings. Historians have debated his motivations, as I suspect we always will - we do not have a time machine to understand him. Nor Elizabeth of York and whether or not she got her Lancastrian husband on side. Or whether she also had her own motivations.

You will note that the Call to Arms comes alongside another letter, one that was addressed to Henry Tudor containing the location of where Gloucester's forces were set to be and for a long time we have been unable to trace. The signature was burnt away as though someone attempted to destroy it, in recent years however we believe we may have found it and we have the two samples tonight for comparison.

On the left you will see the bible of this person and on the right the letter, I believe we may draw the conclusions of this alone but we must ask was it truly Elizabeth Woodville who wrote the second letter?

Thank you, please enjoy the exhibition and Princess Bridget? I believe you have words of your own."

- The Opening Speech of "The Plantagenets in their Own Words: Writings by Royalty" in honour of Queen Eleanor's coronation, hosted by the National Archives. July 2020.

"Okay so we all know that this author has a bit of an...obsession, her series is bizarre and as a History student I've always found it good for a laugh. The events of this one though are utterly hysterical.

Some background, "The Red Queen" is the second novel in Philippa Gregory's series about the Plantagenets during and after the Wars of the Roses. This follows on from the first novel, "The White Queen" about Elizabeth Woodville, the third novel in the series "The Rose Queen" will follow Anne of Brittany. I believe that she has further novels planned, one about Alice Stanley, one about Mary of Burgundy and it wouldn't surprise me if poor Barbara De Vere and Anne Willoughby are dragged into this mess as well. Though if she touches Grace Fitzroy or Elizabeth Plantagenet I may hit the roof because I don't trust her to handle any of those women with anything at all. Especially not poor Grace.

Anyway The Red Queen follows Margaret Beaufort from her childhood all the way up to her death in the Tower of London before she can be tried for treason against the King. Highlights include:

- Won't anyone understand how poor suffering and saintly Margaret is, SHE HAS SAINTS KNEES. She has been BLESSED BY GOD. Her death scene implies that she becomes a saint in the afterlife which was...a joy to read.

- Why won't anyone understand how EVIL the Plantagenets are? Margaret is trying to restore the throne to her saintly son, but we have number one evil schemer Elizabeth Woodville who Mrs Robinsons' her way around court and Richard of Gloucester who is evil for non specific reasons. Then Edward V who's basically Gollum in breeches.

- Not forgetting of course, evil schemer number two, Elizabeth of York - later Henry's wife. By all accounts according to history they were a political turned love match with a boatload of children to match. Here she turns away Henry from his mother by the power of sex (tm) and gets him to betray her by flashing him, including an utterly bizarre scene where Margaret apparently spies on Henry while Elizabeth appeals to him via some strange fetish he has for bar wenches.

- Henry's One True Love here is Lady Alice Stanley, his stepsister who he fondly calls sister and is a sweet docile little lamb who gets captured by those wicked Plantagenets and Gollum!Edward. Henry goes the full mustache twirling villain when the power of Elizabeth in a corset seduces him away from his stepsister. Speaking of which, I think she would have historically been about 12 when they are skinny dipping in a lake and Henry becomes interested in her.

It was an interesting read, next up is Anne of Brittany and I only hope she doesn't come out too badly..."

- Anonymous Goodreads Review

XX: April 1491
  • April 1491

It was a mild spring day, a perfect day - one might have thought, for a wedding.

The wedding itself had been much delayed, no one however could be more overjoyed at the wedding than the bride and groom who were dancing their first together as husband and wife.

"Are you happy Beth?" Richard, Duke of York asked as they turned together.

Beth chuckled in response, "I am your wife, how could I ever be unhappy?"

"Well as long as you are certain," Richard laughed and Beth's gaze was drawn across the floor to those gathered in order to celebrate the wedding. Until Queen Anne gave birth then Richard was heir to his brother and as such it was a large court occasion, much larger than Beth had ever thought of for her own wedding but at least larger than Richard's had been to Anne de Mowbray but then they had been children and had not lived together as man and wife. Lady Margaret of Clarence had wondered if it might be an ill omen, as they were marrying in the same chapel before Queen Anne had hushed her.

Still it was a beautiful day and Beth could barely think about that, she was marrying Richard and would be mother to his sons and it was all that she wanted.

The King himself was paying particular attention to his wife today, though all knew that Lady Alice had gone into confinement a few weeks ago so it wasn't as though he could be so easily distracted. The Queen herself was not too long off her own confinement and Beth hoped for her friend's sake that she would easily be delivered of a healthy Prince of Wales.

The newest staple of court was also in attendance, the new Duke of Richmond, the King having traded the Earldom for a higher title for his loyalty. Beth herself wasn't sure of what to make of it, she knew Richard himself had puzzled over the entire situation especially since Lady Margaret was now in the tower. It was complicated...that was all that Beth could say but she pushed that thought away and smiled up at her new husband.

Spring was here again and they could only hope that it would last forever.