Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Please don't write a particularly graphic death scene for her, will you? Sybil from Downton Abbey was bad enough...

No, we didn’t write one for Barbara and we didn’t write one for Mary. They suffered enough as it was and we didn’t want to dwell on it...

I agree, I felt faintly traumatised by how they dealt with poor Sybil.

I quit Downton Abbey after Sybil died. It was so horrible. And good on Katherine Parr for leaving the court before Richard got his claws in her!

XXXXXXXII: 1529
“Mary is gone...it was a hard, terrible labour and the physician said there was naught he could do. I was with her when she breathed her last...it did not give me comfort. [...] She birthed a boy, he did not live for much longer than she did but he was named Richard for his Kingly father. The King is in a terrible, black rage and Harry and I have taken our leave of court.

[...] We are bringing our poor sister and nephew back to Hever first, perhaps Jane can make arrangements so most things are ready by the time we arrive? [...] Henry and Catherine are in my thoughts most of all, the poor orphaned moppets. Harry and I are happy to have them with the children at Alnwick. Unless Jane would like to have them with your little ones?

[...]

I will be glad to be home, there is nothing here but misery.

Yours Affectionately,

Anne”

- “The Collected Correspondence of George, 1st Duke of Wiltshire” Compiled by his second wife, Genevieve Lytton. Courtesy of the Hever Archives.

Poor poor Mary and poor Anne.
About Henry VIII’s wives who is still missing?
We had only Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, plus Katherine Parr named in the story, right?

Poor poor Mary and poor Anne.
About Henry VIII’s wives who is still missing?
We had only Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, plus Katherine Parr named in the story, right?

Yep we’ve had 3/6 that you’ve mentioned, some will be briefer than others. Constance is at Lambeth which is where Kitty Howard will come in, we’ll see Jane Seymour next and Anne of Cleves will be rather brief given the distance.

Yep we’ve had 3/6 that you’ve mentioned, some will be briefer than others. Constance is at Lambeth which is where Kitty Howard will come in, we’ll see Jane Seymour next and Anne of Cleves will be rather brief given the distance.
Well, I was not expecting a big role for Anne of Cleves so...
Hopefully Constance and Katheryn together will be able to escape the worst of the very lax household of the Dowager Countess of Surrey

Well, I was not expecting a big role for Anne of Cleves so...
Hopefully Constance and Katheryn together will be able to escape the worst of the very lax household of the Dowager Countess of Surrey

We were originally going to leave her out but then realised we’d gotten 5/6 so we thought we may as well give her a flyby cameo for the full set. It’s not pleasant what they did with, as Lambeth is...well as bad as it was ATL but they do form a strong bond.

I hesitate to call these updates ‘excellent’ but they are well written, if incredibly sad. At least Mary was able to escape a more gruesome death at Richard’s hands.

I hesitate to call these updates ‘excellent’ but they are well written, if incredibly sad. At least Mary was able to escape a more gruesome death at Richard’s hands.

Thank you, I certainly appreciate the sentiment and I’ll be putting up some lighter interludes so it isn’t too maudlin.

I can’t believe that this TL has ended up so dark that we are at a point where we’re actually saying “Thank God that pre-eclampsia is what killed her!”... I also can’t believe that you’ve created a king that almost makes our Henry VIII look like a sweet puppy in comparison. All in all a great TL!

I can’t believe that this TL has ended up so dark that we are at a point where we’re actually saying “Thank God that pre-eclampsia is what killed her!”... I also can’t believe that you’ve created a king that almost makes our Henry VIII look like a sweet puppy in comparison. All in all a great TL!
Compared to King Richard, Henry VIII is a sweep puppy! No ifs ands or buts about it!

Second wife? What happens to Jane? :confused:

She’s not for a few years yet but she survived him so I slotted her in there and I asked the writer who was in charge of all things Boleyn and childbirth, the roll of the dice got her,

I just love the fact that he's Duke of Wiltshire. It's nice to see the Boleyns do so well for themselves ITTL, even if - or perhaps because - their daughters aren't Queens.

You’ll be seeing George get that title, if obviously it wasn’t under Richard.

Compared to King Richard, Henry VIII is a sweep puppy! No ifs ands or buts about it!

Haha! Well he does make Henry look like Mother Theresa.

I hope that in the end, Ole Richard gets the Richard II treatment or worse.

From 1531 we started trying to get rid of him, lucky bastard had the dice on his side but trust me, it ain’t natural causes that grabs him in the end.

She’s not for a few years yet but she survived him so I slotted her in there and I asked the writer who was in charge of all things Boleyn and childbirth, the roll of the dice got her,

You’ll be seeing George get that title, if obviously it wasn’t under Richard.

Haha! Well he does make Henry look like Mother Theresa.

From 1531 we started trying to get rid of him, lucky bastard had the dice on his side but trust me, it ain’t natural causes that grabs him in the end.
Don't you just love/hate dice? :winkytongue: