Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Doubt it, we're already in 1529, Stockholm's bloodbath happened in 1520 and his rise to power 1523

Ok, but Poland came much, much further away and this ought get almost probably butterflied, espeically if Philip the Handsome stays alive past his OTL death date and Habsburgs do not get Spain.

1531 actually ;) but I did shuffling around earlier in an effort to untangle my wires so pushed the Swedish match back a bit so I've not much of a thought as to how that'll all work in a generation or two.

I
1531 actually ;) but I did shuffling around earlier in an effort to untangle my wires so pushed the Swedish match back a bit so I've not much of a thought as to how that'll all work in a generation or two.
I'm just imagining a longstanding Swedish-english alliance.
If Poland comes under the rule of Sweden again, then that combined with all three nations adopting the allotment system should be more than enough to clap France. Later on, British/french intervention should be enough to keep Poland Swedish, perhaps even annexed. Then by Karl XII with the war against Russia, Prussia and Denmark going even better than OTL, we might see two large sister empires.
All hail the Great British Empire
All hail the Great Northern Empire

I

I'm just imagining a longstanding Swedish-english alliance.
If Poland comes under the rule of Sweden again, then that combined with all three nations adopting the allotment system should be more than enough to clap France. Later on, British/french intervention should be enough to keep Poland Swedish, perhaps even annexed. Then by Karl XII with the war against Russia, Prussia and Denmark going even better than OTL, we might see two large sister empires.
All hail the Great British Empire
All hail the Great Northern Empire

Actually, if you're reffering to OTL Sigismund III it was not Poland who came under Swedish rule, in fact, Swedes feared the reverse. And it was Swedes who ended the union by choosing Karl IX (Sig's uncle) as king. If England decided to support Sigismund, than Karl XII would not even be born, because Karl IX would probably get executed before his marriage.

Actually, if you're reffering to OTL Sigismund III it was not Poland who came under Swedish rule, in fact, Swedes feared the reverse. And it was Swedes who ended the union by choosing Karl IX (Sig's uncle) as king. If England decided to support Sigismund, than Karl XII would not even be born, because Karl IX would probably get executed before his marriage.
It's not by any means my area of expertise, but yes I was aware that the Swedish nobles didn't want, and feared a Catholic king.
However, by being close allies with England, I doubt Sigismund would be so close to the poles, and most likely not a Catholic. With my limited knowledge, I'd say 45% of Protestantism, 30% for Anglicanism, and 25% for Catholic.

It's not by any means my area of expertise, but yes I was aware that the Swedish nobles didn't want, and feared a Catholic king.
However, by being close allies with England, I doubt Sigismund would be so close to the poles, and most likely not a Catholic. With my limited knowledge, I'd say 45% of Protestantism, 30% for Anglicanism, and 25% for Catholic.

He wasn't by any means close to Poles in his youth, his Catholicism was his choice. Also, at the beginning of XVIIth century, PLC was richer, more populous and militarily stronger than Sweden.

XXXXXXIX: 1532
The day of the Tournament had dawned, grey and overcast.

Eleanor had taken her position in the stands alongside her ladies, it had taken Richard a while to mount his horse and he had huffed as Eleanor had offered him her favour in the joust.

“What luck would your favour give me?” Richard had snarled “I need no luck, I have skill alone,”

Then he had ridden off and Eleanor had kept her smile firm and fixed.

“What a jest our King makes,” Eleanor murmured quietly, before her husband’s competitor paused alongside the stand to nod as his wife who sat among the group of women.

“My Lord Buckingham,” Eleanor caught his attention and gave him a nod “Good luck in the tournament today,”

“Your Majesty,” Henry Stafford said with a polite nod, “Thank you, I am sure that our King will give me a run for my money,”

Eleanor chuckled briefly before pausing as she caught the sight of something - though she wasn’t quite sure what, in his eyes as he glanced in the King’s direction.

“I am sure that the King will make for a most interesting joust,” Eleanor said, glancing in Richard’s direction.

“Well?” Richard demanded in his imperious voice “Are we to joust today or not?”

“My cue,” Stafford said calmly, inclining his head towards Eleanor. “Your Majesty,”

He rode off towards his starting position as Richard began to fuss louder and louder. Everyone at Court seemed to be packed in the stands and all eyes were on the King as he snatched his lance from a waiting page before waving him off.

Eleanor bit her lip, honestly she had never put much thought into her husband’s inclinations to joust. He never seemed to like any sport, well unless of course - he would win.

Cheers began to ring out as the two riders rode towards each other, Eleanor bit her lip as Richard approached Buckingham.

Then the world seemed to go in slow motion as Buckingham unhorsed Richard and he fell onto the ground with a thump.

“The King!” Someone called out in a panic and Eleanor opened her mouth to say something, but she could only watch in horror as his horse reared up but caught itself on the wooden fencing. The horse veered violently until it fell with a terrible thunk, directly on top of Richard.

There were no more cheers after that.

Don’t worry Richard will deal with this in a totally rational and sensible manner as he’s prone to do!

No that wasn’t sarcasm, whatever gave you that impression?

Don’t worry Richard will deal with this in a totally rational and sensible manner as he’s prone to do!

No that wasn’t sarcasm, whatever gave you that impression?
Let me guess...Paralyzed from the waist down?

If so, I'm pretty sure some heads will roll. Poor Buckingham first and foremost...

Nice to see, however, would they really use a wording such as "that's my cue"? It seems to come in later, though that may just be me.

Let me guess...Paralyzed from the waist down?

If so, I'm pretty sure some heads will roll. Poor Buckingham first and foremost...

Well Richard has been mostly going after the women in his life, he is an equal opportunities psychopath after all...

Nice to see, however, would they really use a wording such as "that's my cue"? It seems to come in later, though that may just be me.

Most of it does come from group writing and it's mostly to convey feeling rather than total accuracy and I'm too lazy to edit mostly apart from to shove it in a narrative and to summarise. You can consider it more of coming from a historical fiction perspective to excuse the anachronisms if you'd prefer ;)

XXXXXXX: 1532
"The case of the accident at the tournament is indeed a curious one.

Richard was not a skilled rider by any means, he is noted in certain papers as being a poor sportsman in general and it is curious as to why Buckingham did not simply concede and allow the King to win for the sake of his ego. After all, everyone knew just how bad it could be when Richard was angry, the court had long since veered into indulging him for the sake of their heads. His favor went round and round like a carousel and many did not wish for favor to fall upon them at all, lest Richard tire of them.

When Richard awoke from the accident, he was quick to cry foul play and conspiracy. We have no concrete evidence that suggests this and still we have to wonder, certainly it was a popular contemporary rumor. In his Richard III trilogy, William Shakespeare immortalizes Buckingham as heroically trying to intercede and protect his beloved England from a tyrannical King.

However the accident had been worse than anyone could have ever realised, Richard was still alive and breathing but he remained unconscious and could not be roused. A vigil was kept at his side as the Court tried to come to terms with the new status quo. In modern medical terms, we of course know this to be a coma. One from which Richard would not wake for a very long time."

- Richard III: Mind of a Tyrant

Last edited:
After all, everyone knew just how bad it could be when Richard was angry, the court had long since veered into indulging him for the sake of their heads.
I think this is what you meant?

Exciting update! I can’t wait to see what happens while Richard is in his coma.

I think this is what you meant?

Exciting update! I can’t wait to see what happens while Richard is in his coma.

This is what happens when I don't have my coffee, thank you dear!

And well...he's not going to be too pleased when he wakes up, that's for sure.

Richard may also have brain damage when he wakes up. I seem to recall he took an impact to the head...

So, with the possibility of brain damage, and all the possibilities that opens up, it seems the Courtiers, and Royal Family too, may find themselves living in interesting times...

Richard may also have brain damage when he wakes up. I seem to recall he took an impact to the head...

So, with the possibility of brain damage, and all the possibilities that opens up, it seems the Courtiers, and Royal Family too, may find themselves living in interesting times...

Indeed he does...and given the period he remains in a coma for, it is a very intriguing time.