Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Interlude: April 2019
By way of introduction, a less depressing interlude so the TL isn't completely Dickensian. I was going to include the Mary and Barbara run off to France together AU that was written as a side piece but then I realised how long it was...so I came up with this as a suitable replacement.

"Arriving on Netflix, April of 2019 - Even in Another Time is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Georgiana Fitzwalter where a young man arrives in a small fishing village on an isolated island off the coast of France. He finds himself staying with two women who live an isolated existence and becomes infatuated with their daughter while developing a close rapport with their son. The story's main conceit is that it takes place in an alternate timeline and the two women, our protagonist finds himself staying with are Barbara de Vere and Mary Carey - the unfortunate two mistresses of Richard III, often called one of history's greatest monsters.

In flashbacks we see the women's arrival on the island while both are pregnant, the subsequent birth of their children Constance and Richard and the life they created together. The young Mary played by Adèle Haenel finds herself as the women's protector as Barbara (Alina Kovelenko) is much more fragile after her years with Richard. It is an ode to recovery from trauma and abusive relationships as we see Barbara re-emerge into the wilder personality that she was said to have possessed as a girl.

It was debated about whether or not the miniseries would retain the novel's ambiguity around the relationship of the two central women. It is well known that chapters portraying a more romantic lean were exorcised prior to publication and that the showrunner was given permission by the Fitzwalter estate to gain access to the lost material. The relationship in the series is far from ambiguous and certainly satisfies the author's original intent.

It is no secret that the novel's title comes from the Sappho quote, "Someone, I tell you, will remember us, even in another time. " and this is what the miniseries closes with the idea of. In an interview before her death, Georgiana Fitzwalter remarked that she and her long time partner, the illustrator Jessica Blake, had always preferred this ending.

"This is where I like to think they are, not left to rot by a terrible man but in a little village by the sea. That I hope is where they will always be,"

- Review of the Netflix series, Even in Another Time (2019)

XXXXXXIII: 1530
“As 1530 dawned, a new decade felt somewhat abysmal.

Richard was uncharacteristically quiet, most stayed out of his way and luckily for the women at court. He didn’t seem inclined to take a mistress. If anything the women at court seemed to irritate him, all except Queen Eleanor and even then he blew violently hot and cold with her. He reportedly began to take interest in the works of Martin Luther, though it was not this generation of Plantagenets that would begin the rise of Anglicism.

There were quiet mutterings at court, that threatened to grow louder that Richard was ruminating on his marriage. They had been married many years and still there was not a child to show for it. There were rumblings that he might seek a new bride and try and force Eleanor into a nunnery, a sickly sweet letter to his younger sister Beatrice certainly gives this rumour credence. After all he could not give a royal bride such a violent ending.

The winds of change however rattled through court in June of 1530. For as maid-of-honour Jane Seymour wrote in her diary, it had been two months and the 31 year old Queen had not had her courses.

Mindful of her previous phantom pregnancy, the court waited with baited breath.”

- Richard III: Mind of a Tyrant

XXXXXXIV: 1530
Summer 1530

The wait had been an anxious affair for Eleanor.

Her stomach had swelled but with the last time that she’d thought that she was with child...well she hadn’t dared to hope. The King’s black rages were well known and most times they’d attempted to lay together had been a disaster. There was gossip at court about Richard’s intentions with her and if he really would have her put aside.

Eleanor already knew, if he attempted to have her sent to a nunnery so that he might take a new bride. Well she would simply go, after all that had happened with those two poor women had served under her...Eleanor knew the cost of the King’s anger and she would not turn it on her own head.

Still Eleanor knew this had to be her last chance, if she was with child and she could bring the King a living son...

Well it would secure her position and any letters that had been dispatched to Cleves, apparently one of the only men willing to send a daughter into Richard’s arms could be ignored. “Friendly Overtures” apparently but Eleanor was no fool, she knew what this would mean for her.

She’d summoned the physician after a bad night, now Eleanor peered down at him anxiously as he carefully examined her.

He suddenly straightened, giving her a respectful nod.

“Well?” Eleanor asked, taking care not to let the quiver in her voice sound.

“I suspect I know what kept you up Your Majesty, it is nothing to worry about,”

“Do you mean...” Eleanor trailed off, barely able to ask the question in case he was about to confirm her worst fears.

“Simply that the babe has quickened Madam, it was rude of the child to keep you awake but...”

Eleanor nearly sagged down into the mattress out of sheer relief. A child! A child for England at last!

She managed a delighted smile, “A good sign, God Willing. We simply may have an active Prince of Wales on our hands,”

The Physician gave her a nod, “Indeed, I would suspect that Your Majesties will see the new year in with the birth. If you will forgive me for being so informal, I know that you were concerned...”

Eleanor gave a nod, “Well it does not matter now. I will not question Our Lord and the way he chooses. He has blessed myself and the King with a child at last,”

She caught the eye of one of her ladies who had been observing quietly, “If you would be so kind to fetch His Majesty, Joan? I am sure that he will be delighted to hear that the babe has quickened and we are to be blessed and he ought to hear it from my lips,”

Joan nodded, bobbing into a respectful curtesy as Eleanor lay back in quiet contemplation.

Whatever happened, she silently prayed, at least let her deliver a healthy child. A child that would be the hope of England, a child that would put all the ills of their father to rest.

That was all she could pray for now.

XXXXXXV: 1530
“Upon the confirmation of Queen Eleanor’s much longed for pregnancy, Richard III was utterly delighted. At last an heir for England! Many toasted to the health of the Queen and future child. Richard, above all, was convinced that he would soon be delivered of a healthy Prince of Wales. He planned to name his son Richard, after himself.

Though obviously, Richard’s grand dream of the future Richard IV - his identical in all ways son would not come to pass.”

- Richard III: Mind of a Tyrant

Probably good. England can't stomach another psychotic tyrant running around making insane choices.

I feel like if there’s been a Richard Jr...well I can’t possibly see it ending well. I’m sure there would be very chaotic timelines based on that ITTL.