"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

vlcsnap-2021-12-06-22h07m45s811.png

A quick look at the competition.

"I've been asked this question so many times and every time I've given the same answer but still people still ask so here it is for the last time. Darkness and Light was NOT an attempt to warn about 9/11. We shot that story in May, it went to air in August and the attacks happened in September and anyone who thinks that is an utter fuckwit. We were having a script meeting about the third series when someone came in to say that something had happened in New York, something about a plane. We switched on a TV and there was footage of a burning with a strap along the bottom of the screen. Then I saw the second plane hit..."

Margoyles 2012

I have a couple of questions:
1. Will Ian marter live longer ITTL?
2. Also, will the master be recast in the final game or did Delgado not die ITTL?
1. Yes, Ian would live until 1990
2. Delgado would make The Final Game but would leave after that as his performances led him to to a major theatre career. He would pass in 2013.

Chapter 18: "Can't Do Right For Doing Wrong"
"The Events of September 11th 2001 are etched into our collective psyche. Everything changed forever including science fiction with som odd results. In the USA you had Star Trek: Titan embarking on its turnaround third season with Riker leading the crew into the Delphic Expansionists to destroy the Xindi. Some would argue that it reflected Gore's rage-filled attacks on Pakistan and Afghanistan to destroy Al-Quida and kill Bin Laden. Many argued at the time that she was right to do so. In the UK sci-fi was also convulsed. Dr Who had already embarked on its "straightening out" phase with Dalton's second series and Panoptican had sought to "humanise" Romana" But the horror of seeing the twin towers, the Pentagon and The White House destroyed gave the genre an edge that 10 years on we still can't fully fathom. Maybe we're not supposed to.

Its been argued many times both in the letters pages here and elsewhere the the shock of seeing the world convulsed on that day gave us something of a collective split personality. Many wanted television to reflect the shock of the new while many wanted to have a fragment of "the old way" left. This did manifest itself with the TV version of Pleasantville in 2002/3 but with Dr Who the effects were more startling"

(Starburst 2011)

I wonder what they will write for Doctor Who to reflect on 9/11?
Nothing directly (it can be argued that the scenes of collapsing buildings during the. second half of series 2 of Panopticon can be "retro conned" by the fans. The "straightening out" of DW during the Dalton era can be used as a metaphor for change.

Last edited: