"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

Just playing with Photoshop...
Comp 1.jpg

Chapter 13: Will The Novelty Wear Off?
"I had such a wonderful time playing Romana in Doctor Who. Rik and I had known each other for years and if I had played for the other side I would have eaten Paul Jones!

In late 1994 I got a phonemail from Penelope Mills who was one of she show's executive producers and she asked me if I would consider returning as Romana. I jumped at the chance.

'I'd love to work with Danny'

And there was a pause.

'We want you back as Romana...She's to be the central character in a new spin-off called Panoptican'

Again a pause

I sighed and said

"Penelope darling...You've got a fucking deal!"

(The Importance of Being Miriam, ABC Australia 2015)

"I had such a wonderful time playing Romana in Doctor Who. Rik and I had known each other for years and if I had played for the other side I would have eaten Paul Jones!

In late 1994 I got a phonemail from Penelope Mills who was one of she show's executive producers and she asked me if I would consider returning as Romana. I jumped at the chance.

'I'd love to work with Danny'

And there was a pause.

'We want you back as Romana...She's to be the central character in a new spin-off called Panoptican'

Again a pause

I sighed and said

"Penelope darling...You've got a fucking deal!"

(The Importance of Being Miriam, ABC Australia 2015)
So I take it she wanted to leave when Rik Mayall left the show

Panoptican dominated the DW production team to such an extent in 1994/95 that Danny Webb's second series was postponed until 1996. But 1995 also saw a series of audio plays on Radio 4. Titled "The Companion Chronicles" they featured past companions in their own self contained adventures. This was to test the audience desire for stories in the expanded Doctor Who Universe.

The plays which were broadcast during June and July 1995 were

1. Nightflight:
Steven Taylor finds himself having to land a ship damaged in a ion storm.

2 Competition:
Zoe Heriot locks horns with an equally intelligent member of the W3 space station.

3. Q and A:
Liz Shaw finds herself dealing with a talented but troubled student.

4. Assignations:
Sally Sparrow acts as matchmaker.

5. Reflections:
Nyssa talks to her daughter about Tremas.

6. Joust:
Leela and Arthur find themselves in a battle of honour.

7. Inquiry:
Lorel defends a petty criminal.

Last edited:
"PANOPTICAN SYNOPSIS"

Gallifrey is on its knees. The civil war may be over but the world is hurting. So many lives have been lost and the planet's reputation is in the gutter. This has led to many worlds taking a perverse delight in the plight of the TimeLords.

Romana (Miriam Margoyles) is Acting First Minister of the Government of Planetary Reconstruction (GPR). She isn't a politician and the truth is she only has the role because she was one of the few who led the rebellion against Rasillion.

Her government such as it is is comprised of members of some of the oldest families on Gallifrey who are humiliated that they are not in charge so her position is weak. She is accompanied by guards everywhere she goes and her TARDIS resembles more of a warship then a exploratory vehicle

Romana has to help restore Gallifrey whilst at the same time being on constant guard...

Miriam Margoyles...First Minister Romana
Chief Of Staff Nardole..........Christopher Biggins
Opposition Leader Jorek.......John Bowe
Captain Borusa...Angela Bruce

EPISIODE GUIDE
(1x90 Mins 5x50 mins)

1. First Among Equals (7th October 1995: With tribute to Graham Chapman who ITTL passed away on the 4th)
Romana prepares for her inaugural speech whilst trying to form a government and becoming aware of a new threat from group called Purity

2. Shuffling The Deck (14th October 1995)
Romana and Nardole attempt to create a new executive council whilst attempting to keep egos in control

3. With Open Arms (21st October 1995)
Gallifrey holds talks with a contingent from the Eastern Continent who are determined to secede.

4. In Thy Image (28th October 1995)
Romana tries to conduct business while having to deal with a rather stubborn artist who wishes to paint her official portrait.

5/6 Darkness Arising (4th and 11th November 1995)
A series of attacks by "Purity" reveal that there are those in the government who seek to overthrow the council and restore the old hierarchy. Romana and Jorek must join forces to stop them.

Last edited:
"Romana was a real bitch wasn't she?"

"Yes she was a bitch. She had to be. Here was a character who had been through so much crap that it had hardened her to the extent where she basically became heartless"

"What, both of them?"

" Smartarse, yes she had to effectively become a automaton to pull Gallifrey through"

"Panoptican drew a lot of criticism because it made issues such as war crimes and PTSD into entertainment. Did you feel any pressure?

"I thrive on pressure darling. War is a fucking horrible thing and it does terrible things to people. I have marched against war and and have been a peace campaigner my whole life. For me playing Romana like that as a traumatised, scarred victim was a magnificent way of saying to all the warmongers and armchair generals 'look you cunts, war isn't like what you see at the movies. it destroys people'"

(The Last Leg, 2018)

Chapter 14: "Burbank Calling"
BBC NEWS 1st May 1996

"Good Evening. The Prime Minister John Smith has announced his intention to retire. In a statement released at Midday the Prime Minister was retiring due to ill health. He will step down in the summer and the new leader will be elected at the Labour Party conference."

Romana seems a strong willed character who needs no Doctor to help her our with her planets problems.

Going before the job kills you is a good call Mr Smith.

"Smith's decision to retire was inevitable. He later revealed that he had had a heart murmur a few weeks after guiding Labour to a landslide in 1995 and that it was largely due to the efforts of party chairman Peter Mandelson that the news was kept quiet. But when it did come it caused a lot of white knuckles in Whitehall and Westminster.

One of Smith's abilities was to keep any problems out of public view especially with the cabinet. Blair and Brown simply didn't like one another hence the former being shunted off to the Foreign Office but both had their supporters.

Naturally both were going to put their names forward but many grassroots workers were worried that the battle would be bloody and whoever won would lead a divided party in the Commons. What was wanted was a third choice, a "middle way".

(Andrew Marr)