"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

How long is Timothy Dalton supposed to be the doctor for
I haven't decided yet.

-----------------------------------------------
Sue and I had been told that Tim would be taking over the night before his first scene and I was under the strictest of instructions not to say a word. I filmed my last scene, the director called 'cut' and I got up to a round of applause. Kevin Greenwood had a camcorder and he was filming the crew for their reactions. Penny left the soundstage and returned a few minutes later with Tim. When he entered the stage there was a collective gasp followed by a massive roar of approval"

(Webb 2004)

"Kevin and Penny had decided not to take up a one-year extension on their contracts. They had been running the show since 1993 and felt that after 7 years it was time for a change so I would start as Ex-Pro for the 2000/1 series.

I felt that Tim had been treated very badly by MGM and the Broccoli family after Licence To Kill. It was the most violent of all the Bond movies and Tim's portrayal was the closest as far as I was concerned to Fleming's original novels but shorn of the sexually violent overtones. I wanted that cynicism and scepticism to be repeated for 9 and Tim's first season reflected that"

(Cartmel, 2009)

Chapter 17:"Misery Loves Company"
The idea of the Doctor being a nomad had underpinned the show throughout its history We had the Doctor flying through time and space in the TARDIS with his exile in the 1970's being the only example. The Dalton era brought that nomadic tendency back to the forefront but with one substantial twist. The Earth, the Doctor's sanctuary would be off limits....

The Doctor was about to turn the key in the TARDIS lock when he heard a voice from behind him. It was Wallace.
"Ah Brigadier, come to say goodbye? said the Doctor.
"Not exactly. Ive just come off a video conference call with Washington..."
He paused
"Is there a problem? said Lethbridge-Stewart
"Washington has passed down a Priority one order"
"What's a priority one order" asked Mary
"The most serious instruction"
"Daleks, Cybermen" asked the Doctor
Wallace hesitated
"Washington has instructed all UNIT divisions to regard the Doctor as an undesirable"
"What the blazes are you talking about man" demanded Lethbridge-Stewart
"Washington has read the reports about the Nuton Complex as well as the attack on London and they have concluded that the Doctor is a danger to the planet"
The Doctor laughed hollowly
"I'm a danger to the planet. It may have been a few years since I was here but the last time I checked saving lives was not a danger"
"It's not my fault Doctor. The Colonel told you times have changed. Washington now holds sway and not Geneva. You've drawn attention to us and we have paid a high price for that"
"If it wasn't for the Doctor this world would either have been destroyed or enslaved" barked Lethbridge-Stewart
"I know that sir and I'm grateful to the Doctor for saving my life but...orders are orders and I have to follow them"
The Doctor glared at Wallace, his smile gone
"I was only following orders. I've heard that so many times across so many worlds, It wasn't me Guv it was them and no matter how many times that is said people are still gullible enough to fall for it. I always thought Earth was rather a pathetic little world ill equipped to deal with what awaited them but It was people like the Colonel and Jo Jones who persuaded me to change my thinking. I should have listened to my instincts"
"I'm sorry" said Wallace as he walked away
"Doctor.I'll go to the UN over this"
The Doctor placed his hand on Lethbridge-Stewart's shoulder and smiled
"Alastair my friend. You were right. The world has changed. You and I are of the old school. Going into battle all guns blazing. Five rounds rapid. That is how I remember those days and that is how I will remember you"
The Doctor shook Lethbridge-Stewart's hand and Mary gave him a kiss then they entered the TARDIS and it dematerialised.
Lethbridge-Stewart saluted with a tear in his eye and walked slowly away.

(From the novelisation of "Asunder" by Russell T Davies 2005)

https://youtu.be/GyXjItl2P7k

Last edited:
Well lot of time and space adventures await!

Perhaps when Earth next has a crisis one of the Doctors might help...

By the turn of the Millennium Doctor Who had been running near constantly for 37 years with the only exception being 1987 when Rik Mayall was shooting the first series of "The New Statesman" and it had attained almost legendary status in the eyes of its fans which was perhaps its biggest change. The viewers of the 1960's and 1970s had become the custodians and writers of the 1990's and 2000's.

And with the new influx of writers came a shared obsession specifically sorting the show's continuity out. In the 1960's and 70s episodes were written without much thought of connection with the possible exception of the early Pertwee era and the convoluted Timewyrm arc in 1977/8. The fans wanted to tie up the many loose ends of the Doctor's earlier years and in retrospect the events of Asunder was the first step in what became known as the "straightening out" period.

EPISODE GUIDE
1/2. Asunder
Recovering on Earth following his regeneration the Doctor and Mary along with Lethbridge-Stewart find themselves facing both a less sympathetic UNIT as well as a right wing xenophobic group "Children Of Earth" who want to purge Earth of all alien activity.

3. Download
Travelling through a vaguely chartered part of space the TARDIS is infected by a parasite.

4/5. Rolling News
The Doctor and Mary are caught up in a revolt on an alien world where Television is used to placate the masses.

6/7. Homeland
The Doctor is contacted by a group of Daleks who are in a civil war and who need the Doctor's help. The Doctor feels he has to help because it was his actions which led to this.(*)

8. Catch-Up
The Doctor and Mary meet up with Nyssa and her Daughter Akia who is obsessed with knowing all about Traken. The Doctor tries to help but realises that what Akia wants is revenge on the Master and the restoration of Traken. Akia steals some components from the TARDIS and uses them to finish her own time/space craft which she has been secretly building. The Doctor tries to stop her but she escapes.
(With Lisa Coleman as Akia)

9/10. Dark Nature
The Doctor, Mary and Nyssa track Akia through time back to Traken before it was destroyed. The Doctor and Nyssa have to avoid their previous/younger selves as the Master. Akia find the Master and is about to kill him but when the Doctor, Mary and Nyssa try to stop her they find that it is not the Master they thought it was.
(Art Malik as the Master)

(*A sequel to "Power Of The Daleks)

Last edited:
EPISODE GUIDE
1/2. Asunder
Recovering on Earth following his regeneration the Doctor and Mary along with Lethbridge-Stewart find themselves facing both a less sympathetic UNIT as well as a right wing xenophobic group "Children Of Earth" who want to purge Earth of all alien activity.

3. Download
Travelling through a vaguely chartered part of space the TARDIS is infected by a parasite.

4/5. Rolling News
The Doctor and Mary are caught up in a revolt on an alien world where Television is used to placate the masses.

6/7. Homeland
The Doctor is contacted by a group of Daleks who are in a civil war and who need the Doctor's help. The Doctor feels he has to help because it was his actions which led to this.(*)

8. Catch-Up
The Doctor and Mary meet up with Nyssa and her Daughter Akia who is obsessed with knowing all about Traken. The Doctor tries to help but realises that what Akia wants is revenge on the Master and the restoration of Traken. Akia steals some components from the TARDIS and uses them to finish her own time/space craft which she has been secretly building. The Doctor tries to stop her but she escapes.
(With Lisa Coleman as Akia)

9/10. Dark Nature
The Doctor, Mary and Nyssa track Akia through time back to Traken before it was destroyed. The Doctor and Nyssa have to avoid their previous/younger selves as the Master. Akia find the Master and is about to kill him but when the Doctor, Mary and Nyssa try to stop her they find that it is not the Master they thought it was.
(Art Malik as the Master)

(*A sequel to "Power Of The Daleks)
Will Akia become a permanent companion to the Dalton doctor with a returning Nyssa

Panopticon's first series was a moderate success. Audiences started at 8.5 million but dropped off after levelling out at 7 million which was enough for the BBC to commission a second series for 2001. Truth be told the BBC needed all the help they could get. ABC Weekend Television's "Popstars" was proving a runaway hit on ITV and the corporation were on the back foot.

Margoyles and the team would return but the series would take a darker edge. Romana II had been a tough almost emotionless First Minister in the first series. Series 2 was to examine her backstory as to why and just as with DW the "straightening out" would also play a role.

1. BREAKING THE ICE
Romana stages the first offworld visit since the end of the war to a moons to try and begin the rebuild of the scientific community

2. LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE
Gallifrey prepares for it's first ever democratic elections. Romana struggles in her new role as a politician. Nardole is becoming increasingly concerned about her state of mind

3. FACE THE PEOPLE
The Gallifreyan Assembly prepares for it's first sitting. Romana is obsessed with her inaugural speech and her entourage are worried. Their fears are confirmed when Romana collapses at the rostrum

4/5/6. DARKNESS AND LIGHT
Finding herself unable to continue to hide away from her experiences Romana find herself having to face up to her traumas from the civil war(*)
(*Myra Frances as Romana 1 and Patrick Stewart as Counselor Elgin)

1. BREAKING THE ICE
Romana stages the first offworld visit since the end of the war to a moons to try and begin the rebuild of the scientific community

2. LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE
Gallifrey prepares for it's first ever democratic elections. Romana struggles in her new role as a politician. Nardole is becoming increasingly concerned about her state of mind

3. FACE THE PEOPLE
The Gallifreyan Assembly prepares for it's first sitting. Romana is obsessed with her inaugural speech and her entourage are worried. Their fears are confirmed when Romana collapses at the rostrum

4/5/6. DARKNESS AND LIGHT
Finding herself unable to continue to hide away from her experiences Romana find herself having to face up to her traumas from the civil war(*)
(*Myra Frances as Romana 1 and Patrick Stewart as Counselor Elgin)
So I guess Nyssa is back in the fold as a companion right Nyssa is a returning companion right