"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

Oh dear, this sounds bad...

Or its good as it means the barriers are healed and the Doctor is shifting back to his proper universe?

"Was Synchronicity a cop-out? Yes in a way but it was the best way to tie up not just the Culshaw era but also but the whole bloody 'straightening out' thing to rest once and for all. The idea of the Doctor as a god was laughable then as now but Culshaw's portrayal of shock and disgust was suitable. We had always known that something would have to happen to ensure that the Timeline was repaired. We didn't know what had happened to the Dalton Doctor or to Mary. In a ponderous 75 minute special on Christmas Day 2009 we knew.

Well I say ponderous but that's only half right. Culshaw was impressive in his determination to fix the timeline while Dalton looked like he's not skipped a beat in the three years he was away. Chan and Harker provided sterling support. It would have been nice to have Danny back for a cameo but the stock footage was a nice surprise and Mirren was always welcome

And then in the final 15 minutes it all came together as it always did. The to-ing and fro-ing that Culshaw and Dalton performed along their own timeline, the melding of the two to repair the damage, the visions of both Mia and Kate back with their loved ones, all provided a syrupy end to not just Dalton and Culshaw but also what I now regard as the most tortuous period of the show. Although I wasn't sure about the 11th Doctor.

iu-3.jpeg
Jason Watkins at the end of Synchronicity 2009

"Was Synchronicity a cop-out? Yes in a way but it was the best way to tie up not just the Culshaw era but also but the whole bloody 'straightening out' thing to rest once and for all. The idea of the Doctor as a god was laughable then as now but Culshaw's portrayal of shock and disgust was suitable. We had always known that something would have to happen to ensure that the Timeline was repaired. We didn't know what had happened to the Dalton Doctor or to Mary. In a ponderous 75 minute special on Christmas Day 2009 we knew.

Well I say ponderous but that's only half right. Culshaw was impressive in his determination to fix the timeline while Dalton looked like he's not skipped a beat in the three years he was away. Chan and Harker provided sterling support. It would have been nice to have Danny back for a cameo but the stock footage was a nice surprise and Mirren was always welcome

And then in the final 15 minutes it all came together as it always did. The to-ing and fro-ing that Culshaw and Dalton performed along their own timeline, the melding of the two to repair the damage, the visions of both Mia and Kate back with their loved ones, all provided a syrupy end to not just Dalton and Culshaw but also what I now regard as the most tortuous period of the show. Although I wasn't sure about the 11th Doctor.

View attachment 718717Jason Watkins at the end of Synchronicity 2009
Watkins as the Doctor? 😊 Love to see it.

Chapter 21 "The Oddfellow"
"I told Russell I can't be Doctor Who, I'm too weird. He replied that an alien travelling in space and time in a police box who is able to change his appearance at the moment of death was already weird. I thought about it for a second and said 'why not'"

Jason Watkins 2017

The Watkins era was thankfully far less twisted and confusing than the Dalton and Culshaw years. Jason's first series went back to basics with 10 50 minute episodes all of them being self contained except for the opening 2 parter. As with Culshaw there was no post-regeneration amnesia.

SERIES 33 (Synchronicity is a stand-alone adventure)

1. Crime Of The Millennium (*)
2.Deep Blue Rising
3.Choice
4.Perception
5. An Intriguing Diversion
6.Ascend
7. You Are Cordially Invited
8.Ice Time
9.Change Tack

(*two part story and introduces Lisa Bowerman as Benny Summerfield)

That pic oddly squished up there.

How is Conti's time in the Tardis remembered in 2022?
Had to find a new photo. Tom's time in the TARDIS in 2022 is very much seen through a new appreciation. Tom took over when the show was not just on its knees but its back. Anyone taking over from Chapman would have been under a lot of scrutiny and its felt that the fifth doctors era was very much the nadir of the show. But over time Tom becomes more appreciated.

Lethbridge Stewart: "All very fascinating eh Doctor?"
Doctor "Yes, but not as fascinating as the real reason you asked me to come back"
Lethbridge Stewart "I'm dying old friend, this warrior is facing his last battle...Cancer and I want you... I'd like you to help me one final time

("An Interesting Diversion")

That story was the perfect way to say goodbye to LS. The determination and pain of the colonel over the idea that his grandfather was a coward in WWII and his need to know gave the story a real emotional core. Nick’s display of anger, relief and finally peace was truly amazing and still brings a tear to my eye.

Davies

“Benny was such a strong character and her drives were evident throughout my time on the show. She certainly wasn’t eye candy or a perpetual screamer like some previous companions, no she had balls and I had so many emails saying how many women admired me for having such a part.
(Bowerman)