"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

No ‘Trial of the Doctor’ then just a time skip? Story to be told in flashbacks maybe?
The Doctor is tinkering in the TARDIS when he hears a trans-mat signal. Entering the House he sees Romana and two guards. The mood is tense. The Doctor and Romana haven't spoken much since his regeneration.

"Doctor"
"First Minister, how can I help you?"
"We have to talk"

The Doctor and Romana sit down. The Doctor explains that the rest of the party are walking along the Cadonflood River. He thinks Leela and Andred have fallen in love. He starts gushing about Goth when Leela interrupts him.

"Doctor I want you to leave Gallifrey...for good"

"I see, so this is not a social visit. Why?"

"Your actions...your past actions in the CID have caused a lot of anger in the Capital. Their headquarters is under constant attack"

"Yes, I've seen it on the local news circuit, I keep flicking between that and the cricket. Marvellous game, you really should..."

"DOCTOR, this is no time for whimsy and diversion. Many people in the Capital want you to stand trial. We've even had rumours of assassination plots"

"From former CID members no doubt wanting me dead so I can't talk. Romana, you don't think I know this? I knew that Rassillon's death wouldn't be the end of it I knew that the revelations would lead to all manner of secrets coming out. It's the first thing on my mind when I wake and the last thing when I fall to sleep. I dream in blood and pain. I hear the screams and see the terror. How many have died? 5 Million. I count 5 million and 44"

"Fourty-Four?"

"My family, my cousins who were wiped out by me"

"Doctor, you were under the CID's control. It wasn't your fault"

"No, it wasn't my fault, but it was my responsibility"

"Doctor, I know we have had our issues but I always knew you were trustworthy. Please, leave Gallifrey, take your group with you. I can have your TARDIS fitted with phase inverters and a space-time randomiser. I've asked our technical division to restore Camelot. I'll even have a secure communications network installed. It would be far easier to guard Lungbarrow if you weren't here"

"I'm sorry Romana but I won't leave"

Maybe he wants to be put on trial?
I'm thinking so. Sometimes it could be just the thing to clean the wound, remove the whole festering mess by bringing it into the open.
Time to end the Celestial Intervention Agency?

Also, Celestial Intervention Agency? CIA? Love it.

I'm thinking so. Sometimes it could be just the thing to clean the wound, remove the whole festering mess by bringing it into the open.
Time to end the Celestial Intervention Agency?

Also, Celestial Intervention Agency? CIA? Love it.
I wish the CIA was my idea but I picked it up somewhere

The first season of the 7th Doctor will be roughly split in two parts. In Part one he will willingly give himself up for trial and expose the hypocrisy of the Time Lords.

Quick update on the series. It will be 13 episodes long with Fire and Fury being a 90 minute telemovie with the remaining 12 episodes each being 50 minutes.

A few hours after Romana's visit The Doctor, Leela, Andred, Arthur and Guinevere are discussing events. Goth is asleep in the Doctor's old room.

Leela asks the
Doctor why he refused Romana's offer. With Gallifrey still in pieces surely to would be safer for them to return to Camelot. The Doctor says he has his reasons for not leaving but won't discuss them but he's sure that the offer can be extended to everyone else.

Leela tries to respond but is interrupted by Goth's crying. The Doctor goes to fetch him leaving Leela confused and the rest of the party concerned.

Several days later The Doctor and Leela are taking a walk with Goth along the river and are talking about how everyone is coping. The Doctor asks Leela outright about her relationship with Andred. She blushes a furious red and admit they're in love. The Doctor is delighted and says the next time he's on Earth he'll go to Saville Row.

Leela looks distracted and the Doctor asks why:

"I've never really had a family. My mother died when I was 4 years old. My father did what he could but he was of a generation that never raised children. He packed me off to boarding school when I was 7 until I was 16. It was such a cold and lonely place. I left before my O-Levels and sneaked about a cruise ship bound for the Far East. I was caught and thrown out at Singapore. The authorities returned me to England. My father didn't understand why I did what I did. I tried to tell him but he didn't understand. I ran away after that and never saw him again.

This is the first real family I've ever had Doctor. Everything is finally coming together and for the first time in my life I'm truly happy. Please reconsider Romana's offer. We'll have Camelot as home and with the TARDIS we can try..."

At that point a huge explosion is heard.

The Doctor and Leela race back to the House to find it full of smoke. Andred is lying on the floor, The Doctor helps him up and is told that a group burst in and shot him with a neural emitter and took Innocet and The Other.

The Doctor ushers them into the TARDIS and sets course direct for the council chamber in the Capital. There Romana informs them that they have received a video message from the kidnappers. On the screen is a man with a rifle in his hand.

"My name is Gakrel. I have the hostages. They are safe for now. We demand that the Doctor surrenders himself immediately to face justice or we will kill them. You have one planetary revolution to decide"

Leela asks how long a revolution is. The Doctor replies is equivalent to 8 earth hours. He turns to Romana and says this must end. He has an idea....

ws.jpeg
William Simons as Gakrel

Shortly afterwards the source of the signal is traced to a factory at the Northern end of the Capital. The Doctor trans-mats in alone and has several guns aimed at him. Arthur and Guinevere are being held in a corner of the room seemingly unhurt.

Gakrel approaches the Doctor and says that he must die for what he has done. The Doctor says that the trans-mat is being controlled by the Panoptican Defence Corps, the elite. The Doctor makes it clear that if any shots are fired then the room will be swamped with PDC soldiers with instructions to fire at his hearts and the hearts of anyone who interferes. The Doctor uses his screwdriver to activate the video monitor. Romana is there.

"Gakrel I will repeat to you what I said to the First Minister. In return for Leela, Arthur, Lancelot and Goth being given safe passage off Gallifrey, back to Camelot and placed under the First Minister's protection, I shall voluntarily give myself up for trial."

Guinevere tries to intervene but Romana says that she will guarantee their safety. Gakrel accuses the Doctor of lying. He reels off the catalogue of destruction that has been wrought.

"Gakrel, We've all lost people we've loved. I've lost nearly all my family and I know you've lost yours. You were a fisherman off the North-Eastern Continent. Your village rebelled as soon as I sent the message about the CID. You escaped but all your family was wiped out and I am so sorry. This has to end and the only way is for me to face justice but not your kind of justice. The First Minister has assured me that if you lay down your weapons you will not be harmed but if you or anyone else shoots then you will be dead in a matter of seconds."

Gakrel hands his gun over to the Doctor and collapses in tears. The trans-mat activates and a team of PDC guards as a well as a medical unit arrives...

Several weeks pass. Camelot has been reconfigured and rebuilt using an X1X Tardis with a secure trans-mat to the Capital. Earth is being orbited by a communications and defence station whilst Romana has announced that 'Innocet' has been named as the new head of the House Of Lungbarrow.

Following a set of tearful farewells the Doctor sets course for Gallifrey...and to trial.

https://youtu.be/NGe7ZP1ygkQ

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

"Having seen Fire and Fury I have to say that it was an unnecessary episode. To my mind the 'Camelot years' should have ended with Rik. Endgame should have been extended to a 2 hour telemovie with an extended cameo for Paul Jones leaving Leela and the rest in peaceful exile and return to Gallifrey for trial"

Paul's first series should have started like that I feel that it would have been a harder, sharper and faster start to the Jones years.As it is "Fire and Fury" should have been called "Flabby and Facile"

(Email to Starburst magazine)

"The Dark Doctor, The other Doctor, The CID Doctor. It was a very dangerous concept to add to the show's narrative at the time but I felt it was necessary to give the Doctor that we all knew a greater and more rounded sense of ideals.

We had several ideas as to who to pick. Robert Lindsay and Nigel Hawthorne was asked but both politely declined as did David Warner. Then someone, I can't remember who suggested Pierce Brosnan. I thought 'yes'. He has that ability to exude both charm and malevolence at the flick of a switch."

(Andrew Cartmel)
pb.jpeg

The Trial Of A Time Lord (3 parts) Written by Robert Holmes: Notes

"I seemed to have made a career out if playing slightly upper class snobbish types and playing Lorel just reinforced that . It was a challenge playing a companion that wasn't exactly well meaning towards the Doctor. Paul was and still is a gentleman and had me in hysterics in-between takes"

Caroline Langrishe

"Doctor I don't think you seem to realise. I have been assigned to defend you. You have been charged with a very serious crime and considering the evidence I have you are guilty. It might be best for you to admit your guilt and throw yourself on the court's mercy"

"Hmm, I have to say that Lorel for a defence counsel you're taking a rather negative view of matters. You are right that I am guilty but this is not about guilt or innocence. This is about bringing matters to light which is something I have experience of.

"Yes and you were lucky to get away with a forced regeneration and exile to Earth in 1970. The prosecution is angling for the death penalty so how on Gallifrey are you proposing to deal with this?"

(Trial of A Time Lord Part 1. 2nd December 1989)

"People keep asking me 'what was Pierce Bronsnan like'? When I say "I didn't meet him until later" their eyes pop out. All of Pierce's scenes were shot separately and added in post production. He played a really nasty piece of work as 'the agent' but face to face he was an absolute charmer. He said to me "Michael you and I have made history". When I asked why he said" we're more hated than Norman Tebbit" and that was some doing in 1989!

(Michael Jayston)

(In this TL Tebbitt was PM from 1987 to 1992)