Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually explaining the Alt-History this time; the scenario is one in which the American revolutionary war plays out differently and the Franco-Spanish armada of 1779 successfully invades Great Britain. The result is that the ARW ends without any major patriot victories, and with New France substantially restored.
Here is the scenario taken to 1901 where the German majority in northern Louisiana ( "Missuouri" ) are a fighting guerilla war for their independence in a massively scaled up equivalent of OTL's the 2nd Boer war,
Nice. (I'm curious about mega-Peru(?))

Another silly random one: in which I both break up the US and wank it at the same time. (The US owes a lot to @TapReflex 's own version of that game.)

USMultiwank.PNG

Last edited:
(liberal) Kingdom of Hungary in 1910For reason beyond my understanding, ive spent the last 3 days being obsessed with late 19th century Europe. I hope you all enjoy this because I'll be posting more about this timeline. I'm not sure ill do this format more but i assure you the maps will look much better than the ones on the right, those are just basic maps to familiarize you with the setting :)
liberalhungary.png

thank god for the 1910 A-H census on wikipedia :)
Total population: 18,314,339
National Counties: 4,805,281
Nitra N.C: 2,304,074
- 1,556,607 Slovaks - 747, 467 Hungarians
Transylvanian N.C: 2,501,207
- 1,294,861 Romanians - 918,217 Hungarians
- 234,085 Germans - 54,044 Others
National Autonomies: 954, 027
Rus'ka Krajina: 287,666 (all Ruthenian)
Țara Oltului Românește: 177,160 (all Romanian)
Tamiška Srbija: 289,201
- 284,329 Serbians - 4,872 Croatians
Bácska: 153,896
- 133,182 Serbians - 13,343 Hungarians
- 5,918 Germans - 1,453 Others
Free Cities: 128,006
Poszony: 78,200
- 32,790 Germans - 31,705 Hungarians
- 11,673 Slovaks - 2,013 Others
Fiume: 49,806
- 23,283 Italians - 15,731 Croatians
- 3,937 Slovenes - 3,619 Hungarians
- 2,476 Germans - 760 Others
Hungary Proper: 12,427,025
- 8,230,276 Hungarians - 1,628,088 Germans
- 176,604 Ruthenians - 174,205 Croatians
- 44,005 Serbians - 319,605 Others :)
After the Prusso-Austrian War, AKA the War of German Unification, Germany used its new alliance and influence with Hungarian rebels to restructure their government to be more similar to that of their own.
The House of Magnates was replaced with the National Council. This new Upper House in the Hungarian Parliament is composed of two representatives from each county-province (8), 4 representatives from the Transylvanian ethnic bodies, 6 representatives from the Transylvanian Municipal Committee (as decided by the Main County Head), one representative from the Hungarian Nitrans, one representative from the Slovakian Nitrans, 6 representatives from the Nitran Municipal Comittee (as in Transylvania), one representative from each National Autonomy, and one representative from each Free City. The House leader is elected by the 8 County-Province representatives and the 12 Municipal Committee representatives. Their participation is situational.
The Lower House is the National Diet. It it composed of one popularly elected (voters from National Autonomies and Free Cities apply, though National Counties do not) deputy per 175000 people. Deputies were unpaid until the Second Reform. The House leader is elected without debate from the various party leaders. The National Diet also acts as a voice for the various autonomies and ethnic bodies across the state.
Transylvanias 4 nationally-representative ethnic bodies are centered around the cities of Cluj (Hungarian), Sibiu (German), and Alba Carolina (shared by Romanian and Jewish). All voters, regardless of ethnicity, can vote for one deputy from each body. There are a number of smaller, similar groups protected by the Municipal Committee. This committee acts as its own parliament of deputies and representatives separate from the National Diet. Alongside the 4 previously mentioned deputies, there are 14 (popularly elected) other deputies as well. The Main County Head is appointed directly by the national Prime Minister. They can be voted out by the Committee at any time.
(this all applies to Nitra btw)
(ill come back and write more tomorrow im very tired right now)
(edited to make sure i remembered how to do spoilers )

Last edited:
(liberal) Kingdom of Hungary in 1910View attachment 838704For reason beyond my understanding, ive spent the last 3 days being obsessed with late 19th century Europe. I hope you all enjoy this because I'll be posting more about this timeline. I'm not sure ill do this format more but i assure you the maps will look much better than the ones on the right, those are just basic maps to familiarize you with the setting :)
thank god for the 1910 A-H census on wikipedia :)
Total population: 18,314,339
National Counties: 4,805,281
Nitra N.C: 2,304,074
- 1,556,607 Slovaks - 747, 467 Hungarians
Transylvanian N.C: 2,501,207
- 1,294,861 Romanians - 918,217 Hungarians
- 234,085 Germans - 54,044 Others
National Autonomies: 954, 027
Rus'ka Krajina: 287,666 (all Ruthenian)
Țara Oltului Românește: 177,160 (all Romanian)
Tamiški Srpska: 289,201
- 284,329 Serbs - 4,872 Croatians
Bácska: 153,896
- 133,182 Serbs - 13,343 Hungarians
- 5,918 Germans - 1,453 Others
Free Cities: 128,006
Poszony: 78,200
- 32,790 Germans - 31,705 Hungarians
- 11,673 Slovaks - 2,013 Others
Fiume: 49,806
- 23,283 Italians - 15,731 Croatians
- 3,937 Slovenes - 3,619 Hungarians
- 2,476 Germans - 760 Others
Hungary Proper: 12,427,025
- 8,230,276 Hungarians - 1,628,088 Germans
- 176,604 Ruthenians - 174,205 Croatians
- 44,005 Serbs - 319,605 Others :)

AMAZING map. I love me a good federalized Hungary. A great look at the incredible diversity of Pannonia.

Small language correction (don't sweat it, Serbian noun cases are a notorious pain in the ass. Even a huge chunk of Serbian dialects, especially in the Southeast, have dropped a few cases): The Serb state along the Tamiš river should be "Tamiška Srbija". Srpska means Serbian, as in, belonging to Serbia, so it cannot be a proper name. I imagine you got the idea for this name from Republika Srpska. Rendering "Republika Srpska" in the modern day as "The Republic of Srpska" in English is an idiotic move on the part of the entity's government that no doubt confuses a lot of foreigners and teaches them bad Serbian, but it is more accurately "The Serbian Republic" or "The Serb Republic". Also both Srpska and Srbija are feminine while Tamiški is masculine so Tamiška Srbija is Tamiš Serbia, ie a Serbian state, or in this case autonomy, on the Tamiš river, the same way there was Moravian Serbia on the Morava river.

AMAZING map. I love me a good federalized Hungary. A great look at the incredible diversity of Pannonia.

Small language correction (don't sweat it, Serbian noun cases are a notorious pain in the ass. Even a huge chunk of Serbian dialects, especially in the Southeast, have dropped a few cases): The Serb state along the Tamiš river should be "Tamiška Srbija". Srpska means Serbian, as in, belonging to Serbia, so it cannot be a proper name. I imagine you got the idea for this name from Republika Srpska. Rendering "Republika Srpska" in the modern day as "The Republic of Srpska" in English is an idiotic move on the part of the entity's government that no doubt confuses a lot of foreigners and teaches them bad Serbian, but it is more accurately "The Serbian Republic" or "The Serb Republic". Also both Srpska and Srbija are feminine while Tamiški is masculine so Tamiška Srbija is Tamiš Serbia, ie a Serbian state, or in this case autonomy, on the Tamiš river, the same way there was Moravian Serbia on the Morava river.
thank you! I greatly appreciate the correction, I will edit it now

Texan Sicily is blursed and I love it
Username checks out

But it's not necessarily weird, actually. I believe it's a reference to actual history—there were Sicilians OTL who wanted to join the US during WW2

Plausibility is something else, but the note does indicate their world's Italy during their world's WW2 was uniquely bad, probably something like our world's Nazis in representing the torchbearer of political evil, so I don't find it necessarily unconceivable re: the Sicilins wanting to jump ship.

(Why specifically Texas, and not New England-merica, though, which is bigger and probably richer, is questionable, unless migration patterns are radically different...)

Habsburg Italy.png

An alt-1848 leads to Franz Joseph granting Venetia-Lomabrdy to the Tuscan branch of the family. The Este branch still goes extinct and the Emperor passes Modena to the Tuscan branch as well. They eventually reunite Italy in an alt-1867 and go on to join their Austrian cousins in Balkan adventures and even become a colonial power.

My entry for Map of the Fortnight 276: The Sick Man (Make a map showing a declining great power).

1687192461984-png.838770

For more than 1500 years, after the Revolution, the Sovetskiy Collectivity has dominated the Globe without sharing. Also known as the Gensekia, it is still the only real political entity on Earth and one of the largest in the solar system.
In the distant past, when the masses of men were enslaved by despots, the Prophet Kaal Maak had his revelation about the practice of labour, the idleness of the burzhuas, the ideal of the Prince worker. After a lifetime of righteousness helping the destitute, he left this world to continue guiding humanity with his spirit.
It was then that Stalnoy, son of Lenïn, took up his scythe and hammer and led an unprecedented revolt against the burzhuas and other despots throughout Evraziya. He became the first Gensek, the Father of the Peoples. The Bolshvikars, Stalnoy's personal guard, worked wonders in the name of Kaal Maak and their Gensek. Under his reign and that of his successors, harvests were bountiful, industries powerful, rivers diverted to irrigate arid lands, impassable mountains levelled by roads, leprosy and plagues repelled by medicine, and crowds freed from slavery. Unlike the peoples of the past, who based their kinship on race or philosophy, anyone on Earth could be a sovetskiy subject and enjoy the fruits of this garden. It was during the first century after the Revolution that the Collectivity launched humanity to conquer the heavens, in particular the Moon.
The Collectivity was a beacon of light shining ever brighter out of the World of Darkness.
But the enemies of the Collectivity were not so easily defeated. Burzhuas from other continents attacked the Collectivity and its communes with atomic zarbasis. The first half of the millennium was a terrible time for the Collectivity, with the lush World and nature giving way to ever-widening, barren deserts. Diseases of a new kind multiplied, and the completely polluted air became a poison for living beings.
The Burzhuas were finally defeated, but their defeat gave way to an era of great cold and ice. With the cities now destroyed, the few survivors once again organised themselves, once again practising nomadism throughout Evraziya. Although still standing and the sole winner of the war, the Collectivity found itself led by weak Genseks, regularly overthrown by their bolshvikars. The Collectivity was divided between potentates who were constantly at war with each other.
It was not until many centuries later that a new line of Gensek restored the Collectivity to its former glory. In the aftermath of the first millennium, the Nesterenko lineage took up Stalnoy's hammer and reunified a large part of Evraziya, rehabilitating towns, fields and industries. At this time, the Collectivity resumed contact with certain forgotten continents to preach the doctrine of Kaal Maak. It was under Gensek Piotr Nesterenko that the Collectivity succeeded in regaining control of the lost communes on the Moon and returning to the stars.
But after almost 400 years of glory under the House of Nesterenko, their glorious blood ran dry. Taking advantage of new, weak genseks, division resumed and soon ambitious men took control of whole swathes of the Collectivity and many of the communes. When the last Nesterenko was murdered, a younger branch, the Usmanovs, took over.
But the Usmanovs will not be able to live up to their forebears. Gensek Dmitriy Usmanov, although powerful and having managed to save many of the Collectivity's assets, had no direct heir after a long reign of 39 years.
A large part of the world turned away from Kaal Maak, the glaciers grew ever larger as the winters went by, the great princes and bolshvikars shared out more and more of the Collectivity's lands, the population, crushed by taxes, became distrustful, the lunar communes declined over the years and there were even rumours that the burzhuas would soon return from the dark cosmos to fall to Earth.
The Collectivity is the image of its Gensek, it continues despite its great age, but suffers.

My entry for Map of the Fortnight 276: The Sick Man (Make a map showing a declining great power).

1687192461984-png.838770

For more than 1500 years, after the Revolution, the Sovetskiy Collectivity has dominated the Globe without sharing. Also known as the Gensekia, it is still the only real political entity on Earth and one of the largest in the solar system.
In the distant past, when the masses of men were enslaved by despots, the Prophet Kaal Maak had his revelation about the practice of labour, the idleness of the burzhuas, the ideal of the Prince worker. After a lifetime of righteousness helping the destitute, he left this world to continue guiding humanity with his spirit.
It was then that Stalnoy, son of Lenïn, took up his scythe and hammer and led an unprecedented revolt against the burzhuas and other despots throughout Evraziya. He became the first Gensek, the Father of the Peoples. The Bolshvikars, Stalnoy's personal guard, worked wonders in the name of Kaal Maak and their Gensek. Under his reign and that of his successors, harvests were bountiful, industries powerful, rivers diverted to irrigate arid lands, impassable mountains levelled by roads, leprosy and plagues repelled by medicine, and crowds freed from slavery. Unlike the peoples of the past, who based their kinship on race or philosophy, anyone on Earth could be a sovetskiy subject and enjoy the fruits of this garden. It was during the first century after the Revolution that the Collectivity launched humanity to conquer the heavens, in particular the Moon.
The Collectivity was a beacon of light shining ever brighter out of the World of Darkness.
But the enemies of the Collectivity were not so easily defeated. Burzhuas from other continents attacked the Collectivity and its communes with atomic zarbasis. The first half of the millennium was a terrible time for the Collectivity, with the lush World and nature giving way to ever-widening, barren deserts. Diseases of a new kind multiplied, and the completely polluted air became a poison for living beings.
The Burzhuas were finally defeated, but their defeat gave way to an era of great cold and ice. With the cities now destroyed, the few survivors once again organised themselves, once again practising nomadism throughout Evraziya. Although still standing and the sole winner of the war, the Collectivity found itself led by weak Genseks, regularly overthrown by their bolshvikars. The Collectivity was divided between potentates who were constantly at war with each other.
It was not until many centuries later that a new line of Gensek restored the Collectivity to its former glory. In the aftermath of the first millennium, the Nesterenko lineage took up Stalnoy's hammer and reunified a large part of Evraziya, rehabilitating towns, fields and industries. At this time, the Collectivity resumed contact with certain forgotten continents to preach the doctrine of Kaal Maak. It was under Gensek Piotr Nesterenko that the Collectivity succeeded in regaining control of the lost communes on the Moon and returning to the stars.
But after almost 400 years of glory under the House of Nesterenko, their glorious blood ran dry. Taking advantage of new, weak genseks, division resumed and soon ambitious men took control of whole swathes of the Collectivity and many of the communes. When the last Nesterenko was murdered, a younger branch, the Usmanovs, took over.
But the Usmanovs will not be able to live up to their forebears. Gensek Dmitriy Usmanov, although powerful and having managed to save many of the Collectivity's assets, had no direct heir after a long reign of 39 years.
A large part of the world turned away from Kaal Maak, the glaciers grew ever larger as the winters went by, the great princes and bolshvikars shared out more and more of the Collectivity's lands, the population, crushed by taxes, became distrustful, the lunar communes declined over the years and there were even rumours that the burzhuas would soon return from the dark cosmos to fall to Earth.
The Collectivity is the image of its Gensek, it continues despite its great age, but suffers.
Love it. Recalls the excellent @vongreif scenario "Ein Thausend Jahr", though not as extensive or horrific.

One must wonder if there is any truth to the idea that the bourgeoise will return to the earth... the wild west corporate colonies of the Jovian Moons, perhaps.

Zohnatlâk Confederation

Quick scenario where there's a Switzerland-like confederacy on the mountains between India, Myanmar, and China. It's based on the Chin-Kuki-Mizo people, who also go by the names Zo, Zomi, Kuki, Zohnatlak etc. The flag is based on the Kuki People's Alliance party seal, no deep meaning.

kuki flag.png
zomia.png

Zohnatlâk Confederation

Quick scenario where there's a Switzerland-like confederacy on the mountains between India, Myanmar, and China. It's based on the Chin-Kuki-Mizo people, who also go by the names Zo, Zomi, Kuki, Zohnatlak etc. The flag is based on the Kuki People's Alliance party seal, no deep meaning.

Given it's close proximity to the Sino-Myanmarese border and the Switzerland comparison, I'm imagining this coutnry made its bones as an international financial shelter by serving as an entrepot for KMT/OSS opium industry in the 40s-60s.

(Why specifically Texas, and not New England-merica, though, which is bigger and probably richer, is questionable, unless migration patterns are radically different...)
1. They also asked the US, but the US didn't want them.
2. Texas, after unification with the Confederacy fell through, needed to boost their manpower to hold at bay (and, hopefully, expand against) the Mexicans: they were welcoming to immigrants and not too picky as to where they came from. As a result, Texas became another major destination of Italian immigrants, along with the US and Argentina.
What are things like in the Confederacy?

OK, sort of? With further expansion stymied after the 1890s and increasing foreign hostility (and trade embargoes) the Confederacy finally discontinued slavery in 1919 (incidentally causing the South Carolina and Florida Rebellions), although they replaced it with some Black Codes that made our Jim Crow looked mild. Blacks, "Afro-Latins" [1], and Amerindians finally got full civil and electoral rights in the late 1980s, when enough of them had immigrated to the US, Texas and New Albion that the whites could feel confident in maintaining control of the government. Nowadays racial attitudes are a few decades behind the OTL US, but on the other hand there isn't a current White Nationalist resurgence.

[1] Lighter-skinned Hispanics have been assimilated into the "white" category.

Zohnatlâk Confederation

Probably, like Nepal, was a British protectorate and source of hard-ass mercenaries during the British Raj.

Status
Not open for further replies.