Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Upvoteanthology, Jan 1, 2016.

1. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

Seems like it, contest should end in 24 hours or so

I like this one! There’s particularly a lot of potential for many pre colonial countries.

SpazzReflex, Višeslav and Veranius like this.
  2. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

Yes, as of right now. Does anyone else have an entry in progress? I expect to post the new round in about 34 hours.

Višeslav likes this.
  3. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

Veranius likes this.
  4. Hindustani Person We live in a society :(

Wait....if it survived longer than OTL, how come fantasy maps are allowed.

5. Mina-van-Mako Marquise of Excess

Fantasy doesn't mean it has to be set in a Tolkienish universe. If I have the time to post one, mine will be a fantasy map about Hawaii for instance.

Kaiphranos likes this.
  6. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

I’m sure a map that shows a continuation of an established country that canonically gets destroyed in a fantasy or sci fi work would get accepted

Mina-van-Mako and Kaiphranos like this.
  7. Mina-van-Mako Marquise of Excess

I have made such a good map but waterpaint isn't detected by the scanner ;-; sorry, no Hawai'i protectedd by a magical storm until 1983 ;-;

Višeslav likes this.
  8. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

You've got a couple of weeks to figure something out - maybe there's another way to get an image file of it?

9. Mina-van-Mako Marquise of Excess

Not really, and it honestly isn't very creative beyond the form, so making it with Gimp would be of no interest ... and I wouldn't want to ruin the physical form to get a good scan ...

10. Prince di Corsica Well-Known Member

An idea could be to put it on a decent setting and have a "photo of an exhibition from an ATL" kind of thing. It would certainly be very creative. We can always use more diversity on these things

TheKutKu likes this.
  11. Mina-van-Mako Marquise of Excess

Perhaps I can find some friend with a quality photo camera

12. KolyenuKS not a farmer I think

I have a couple of ideas for some mofts:
    Double-Sided Coin: Show a war/cold war map between 2 nations with almost identical ideologies (like between soviet and american stratocracies)
    Death of a Bachelor: A map of a nation that has finally (re) united with another nation
    It's Always Sunny: A map where you have to show a nation, or a part of the nation, on the Equator, or close by
    In the Shadows: A map of a nation that has always been less important than it's neighbor, until that neighbor collapses. you have to show the aftermath of them becoming a major nation.

13. Višeslav Well-Known Member

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king: Show a country that is a major regional power, not because it is particularly powerful, but because its neighbors are exceptionally weak.

14. Etruscan-enthusiast35 master of the ancient art of schlock

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    There be dragons
    Show a country along side what their perception of the known world is, preferably done in a style reminiscent of old maps of the world.

15. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

About 12 hours left for anyone who wants to enter MotF 208. In the meantime, I have posted the entry for Map of the Month 7: The Way I See It! This extended round will run through the month of December and into the new year.

16. lock A good guy with a bad latitude

Does it have to be a country? Can it be a first-level subdivision?

17. Prince di Corsica Well-Known Member

Does the second map need to be of the entire world? Could we have a map of a particular neighbouring region or even continents?

18. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

First of all, congratulations to @Višeslav for winning MotF 207 his map of Ukraine and its allies!

The voting thread for MotF 208 is now posted, so be sure to check that out and vote for your favorite!

This would be fine, as long as the inhabitants of that province/state/prefecture/etc. have a significantly unique worldview that is reflected in the second map. :)

The second map does not need to be a complete world map, but it needs to show some portion of the world beyond the country portrayed in the first map. A regional or continent would be fine.

Prince di Corsica likes this.
  19. KolyenuKS not a farmer I think

Thoughts on these?

SpazzReflex likes this.
  20. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

I like the sound of In the Shadows

KolyenuKS and SpazzReflex like this.