Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Enough Is Enough: Show a map of a country in governmental transition after years, decades, or even centuries under the ancien régime.

Argentina Paradox: Show a map of a country whose golden age is long gone and fortune has reversed ever since, in economic and political decline that lasts to the present day.

Rectangles!: Make a map of a country with entirely straight borders.

A belated congratulations to @Kanan for winning MotF 208 with her excellent map, "Planned States for a Reunited Germany"!

New threads are now up:
Map of the Month 7: The Way I See It - Voting Thread
MotF 209: Guns Of The North - Entry Thread

Finally, it has been about two years since I took over administration of this contest from @Upvoteanthology. While I am willing to continue running the contest for the near future, my engagement with this forum has decreased over time, and I would like to eventually hand off this responsibility to someone else in turn. If you are interested, please send me a message privately.

A belated congratulations to @Kanan for winning MotF 208 with her excellent map, "Planned States for a Reunited Germany"!

New threads are now up:
Map of the Month 7: The Way I See It - Voting Thread
MotF 209: Guns Of The North - Entry Thread

Finally, it has been about two years since I took over administration of this contest from @Upvoteanthology. While I am willing to continue running the contest for the near future, my engagement with this forum has decreased over time, and I would like to eventually hand off this responsibility to someone else in turn. If you are interested, please send me a message privately.

For MotF 209, do the analogue revolutions need to be in the same timeframe as their OTL counterparts? For example, would the monarchist revolution against the Soviets have to be in 1917? Which would mean the Soviet Union would have had to be around before and so forth... Or could it be for example a monarchist revolution later in the century?

For MotF 209, do the analogue revolutions need to be in the same timeframe as their OTL counterparts? For example, would the monarchist revolution against the Soviets have to be in 1917? Which would mean the Soviet Union would have had to be around before and so forth... Or could it be for example a monarchist revolution later in the century?

No, it does not have to be in the same timeframe, just as long as the alt-historical irony is clear.

Oof, I have a WIP map (a sequel to a MOTF submission of an few months ago) but bad planning and irl event means I can’t post it in time, and frankly don’t want to rush it.

Well i’ll Try to do quicker next time, some good submissions for this contest!

Oof, I have a WIP map (a sequel to a MOTF submission of an few months ago) but bad planning and irl event means I can’t post it in time, and frankly don’t want to rush it.

Well i’ll Try to do quicker next time, some good submissions for this contest!

That does look like an interesting scenario, but I understand not wanting to rush it. About 24 hours left for anyone who intends to enter this round!

I have a question for 210: does the split need to involve two rival governments, like it has been the case with Germany or Vietnam, or can it be based on other factors, like the Velvet Divorce of Czechia and Slovakia?

I have a question for 210: does the split need to involve two rival governments, like it has been the case with Germany or Vietnam, or can it be based on other factors, like the Velvet Divorce of Czechia and Slovakia?

The split can certainly be amicable - Czechoslovakia was one of the examples I had in mind.

Also, since someone else asked: the subject of the map should be two countries - if more than two are shown, it should be clear which two are the focus.

I haven't done an MOTF in a while: have a possible idea, but is it OK if the split is official but they haven't established the new border yet and are still busy negotiating the details?

I haven't done an MOTF in a while: have a possible idea, but is it OK if the split is official but they haven't established the new border yet and are still busy negotiating the details?

Sure, a map showing multiple proposed borders, or disputed areas would be fine.

Proposal: 21st century Muslim superpower with after 1492 POD, but not the Ottomans and Mughals or direct successors of the same.

Proposals:
Ententes Cordiale: show a particularly cumbersome, complicated and downright self-contradictory set of alliance systems, some of which may be secret.
The Third and Final Rome: show a world in which Russia, although not in any serious danger of being conquered in the near-term, is the last independent Christian nation on Earth. (This, of course, can be done in a number of different ways).
The Great Powers: with PODs after the fall of Rome in the west, create a Europe whose "great powers" correspond as little as possible to the OTL major European nations.
Happy Shiny Tsalal: create an at least partially habitable Antarctica whose human inhabitants have it pretty good and nobody's face is being sewed onto anyone's groin.

The Third and Final Rome: show a world in which Russia, although not in any serious danger of being conquered in the near-term, is the last independent Christian nation on Earth. (This, of course, can be done in a number of different ways).

I'd suggest expanding it to a theme of last nation standing of any particular religion.