Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

I think it would be fun to add a requirement that the warm water port be non-contiguous with the rest of the country.

Otherwise every country between 30N and 30S would automatically qualify.

I think it would be fun to add a requirement that the warm water port be non-contiguous with the rest of the country.

Otherwise every country between 30N and 30S would automatically qualify.

There's space for landlocked countries in that area but you have a point.

That would certainly make things interesting, though it might be a little hard (I mean needing to either go through another country or use your seasonal port to get to your warm water port kind of defeats the purpose) though there are ways around these problems. I'm not just supportive of this because I wouldn't have to change anything in my planned map. Some restriction is probably needed though, either what you suggested or maybe that it is recently acquired or that it has been the goal of the country's expansion in a given region or that it is its main/only/only major warm water port on that part of its coast.

In the Shadow of Glory: Depict a historical (or allohistorical) state in diminished form that is desperately clinging onto a powerful, expansive past it lacks the clout to justify.

@Kaiphranos How long do we have left? I have an entry that's nearly finished; I'm just unsure as to the exact deadline and would like to make sure I can get it in.
You have about 30 hours from the time of this post. If you think you will be cutting it close, you can message me and I can wait a few hours longer.

Congratulations to @Ernak for winning MotF 205, whose map of "The Greater Republic of Turan" features a truly epic panhandle! And well done to all the other entrants as well - it was a very tight contest! We could be in for another one this time, as new threads are now up:

MotF 206: Goodbye Lenin - Voting Thread
MotF 207: Come Hell For Hot Water - Entries Thread

(Note, the portfolio for MotF 207 has been expanded somewhat from the initial proposal to allow for some more flexibility in what kinds of ports are featured. It might be ice-free, it might be on a different coast, it might be the only outlet for an otherwise landlocked country... or it might be a non-traditional port such as a spaceport. However, the entry should be clear about what port is being featured and why it is important.)

Bohemian Rhapsody
Depict an fictional Central or Eastern European nation (à la Ruritania, Syldavia, or Zubrowka) and its history.
Where Kings Die
Depict a nation in exile plotting to get back to the homeland after it is taken over by an unfriendly nation or a revolution
I want to break free
Depict the secession of a state from the USA (excluding real ones)
(Not) Shanghai Nights
A map focusing on a state that has a similar government to the Shanghai International Settlement’s treaty ports or the League of Nations mandates (mostly the first one).
I’m still rooting for these btw