Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot, you're right.

That's actually kinda embarrassing... I can't believe I forgot that. I'll change it.

Edit: Fixed it, I think.
You know something else I'm wondering but has Pete's Dragon been butterflied or will we be getting a better version of it at some point down the line?

You know something else I'm wondering but has Pete's Dragon been butterflied or will we be getting a better version of it at some point down the line?

Pete's Dragon will be released with very few butterflies to it, except for the fact that the animation crew working on it will have a much better time making the animated segments, get more credit where credit is due, and, due to the animators not having their backs to the wall, it will come out a bit later, pushed back by a month or two.

Pete's Dragon will be released with very few butterflies to it, except for the fact that the animation crew working on it will have a much better time making the animated segments, get more credit where credit is due, and, due to the animators not having their backs to the wall, it will come out a bit later, pushed back by a month or two.
So both good and bad. Better animation and such? Good. Overall same story? Mehish.* The Gogans singing about killing Pete still?** Kill me instead.

*Don't get me wrong I love the movie as it was my first Disney movie but now that I've grown up I can see and admit it has some major flaws in it.

**Even as a kid I knew that was really fucked up.

"No, I threw out the idea of an animated Robin Hood adaptation with talking animals.
Must you destroy everything good and pure so? :cry:

Anyways, seeing how Disney has been quite successful in this new route it has taken in this timeline of Walt living longer kinda makes me wonder what the alternative of Walt living causing the collapse of Disney as a cultural icon would look like.

Must you destroy everything good and pure so? :cry:

Anyways, seeing how Disney has been quite successful in this new route it has taken in this timeline of Walt living longer kinda makes me wonder what the alternative of Walt living causing the collapse of Disney as a cultural icon would look like.

Oh, that's easy. Just have him build the original E.P.C.O.T., it fails horribly, and Disney is forever ruined. They'd be bought out by the '80s.

And, just saying, the OTL Robin Hood animated movie is about 50% decent, but that 50% is just all the shots they stole from other, better Disney movies.

I just decided to look at this randomly, and something struck me: Miyamoto and Sakurai at the opening of a Disney theme park. If this means what I think it means, then we might actually see Disney co-create the Super Smash Bros. franchise. I know what you're thinking. "This makes a load of nonsense." Well, this is the same universe with Walt creating the TTL version of Breakout. I think this would be interesting to think about.

I just decided to look at this randomly, and something struck me: Miyamoto and Sakurai at the opening of a Disney theme park. If this means what I think it means, then we might actually see Disney co-create the Super Smash Bros. franchise. I know what you're thinking. "This makes a load of nonsense." Well, this is the same universe with Walt creating the TTL version of Breakout. I think this would be interesting to think about.

I'm planting seeds here. Some of them will sprout into trees, but others won't. I also mentioned Hayao Miyazaki was present, so there may be something there too. But who knows?

(Well, obviously I do, but I'm not giving away anything at the moment...)

Taking It to the Next Level(s)
Walt Disney's Home, Los Angeles, CA
December 31, 1975

Walt sat hunched over on the floor, frantically working the controller of the Magnavox Odyssey that laid just a few feet away from him. His opponent, his daughter Diane, was doing the same, trying to score at least one point on her father. He was a natural at video games, it seemed.

"You see what I mean?" asked Walt, the question directed at his wife and various other guests to his New Year's party seated on the couch behind them. "Anyone can pick up and play these video games!"

"Yeah, but how can they have fun with them if their dad's a wizard at the game and can't be beat?" grumbled Diane, throwing down her controller as the game blared out that Player One (Walt) had won the game.

"That's not a problem with the game, that's just a problem with you all being horrible at these things," he retorted.

Roy piped up. "I'm not bad at them. I beat you at Pong back at the studio."

"Roy," began Walt. "I'm probably a horrible person for telling you this, but I let you win that game."

"...Wh--what? But... but... I--"

"You're just as bad as the rest of them," laughed Walt.

"Hey Mom, have you tried to beat Dad?" asked Sharon, their other daughter.

Lilly just smiled and shook her head. "Oh, no. I'm not exactly interested in a little boy's game."

Her husband glared at her. "You calling me a little boy?"

"No, no, these things just don't interest me in the slightest."

"C'mon, just play it."

Lilly rolled her eyes. "Fine, but I'm not moving."

After much finagling with wires and chairs, the game was all set to play. Walt quickly scored several points, but his wife just as quickly figured out how to play and revealed her raw skill. Soon, the game was tied neck-and-neck, at match point. The ball bounced around the screen at a feverish pace, each player just barely launching it back and forth over and over. But finally, Lilly hit it... and Walt missed! The whole group let out a cheer.

"Haha! I did it!" exclaimed Lilly.

As his wife hopped up excitedly to the celebrating crowd, Walt should've felt mad. She had, after all, ended his win streak in Pong and its lookalikes. But he didn't. No, Walt Disney was happy, as he looked at his happy group of friends and family who were celebrating over a video game. Because, in the end, that's what he was hoping to do with this new medium. He wanted it big, mainstream. He felt like he was on the cusp of something that could easily become as huge and well-respected as the motion picture.

Hopefully Walt could do that, without screwing it up.

--------------------------------
"The Adventures of Luke Starkiller as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars."
--The title of the final draft of the script to Star Wars, dated January 1, 1976

"Holy SHIT! That title needs to be slimmed down more than my waist after Thanksgiving! Everything else is great, though. You're greenlit to start filming whenever your actual final script is finished."
--Walt Disney, in a January 1976 memo to George Lucas

"Finally managed to work the sequel rights out of Walt's hands. I don't know what I would've done if American Graffiti hadn't done so well, but that was all the leverage I needed."
--George Lucas, in a March 1976 phone call with Steven Spielberg

"George has his own production company, right? Called... what... isn't it LucasArts? Yeah, we should try and buy it out. I don't want him or his ideas escaping us."
--Walt Disney, from a March 1976 conversation with Roy Disney

--------------------------------
The Desert, Chott el Djerid, Tunisia
March 30, 1976

George Lucas had the worst luck.

He and his crew had arrived in North Africa to shoot the Tatooine parts of The Star Wars a little over a week ago. The first couple of days, everything had gone terribly. The second Anthony Daniels had stepped onto the Tunisian sands, the leg to his suit had shattered and drove plastic deep into his foot. It didn't help that the suit basically blinded him as well, what with the eyes of the mask being covered in gold to "prevent corrosion" (Lucas would be firing whoever came up with that idea). All of his electronics were going haywire, and Kenny Baker couldn't control any of the R2-D2 units.

So things had to get better, right?

Wrong.

The next day, it started raining. In a desert in Tunisia. A place that, on average, gets about 0.6 inches of rainfall annually, if they're lucky.

Now, Lucas sat hunched over inside, staring out the window as the rain churned the sands into soup and the earth and sky blurred together in a mass of gray. Word from the construction crew over in Tozeur hadn't been good, and a process that was supposed to take six weeks to make the desert over there ideal for his vision of the film was going to take another two thanks to this downpour.

"Oh, I should've just kept Tatooine a jungle planet..." sighed Lucas, head in his hands.

The movie was turning out to be impossible to shoot in the same vein as Jaws and their mechanical sharks. But where Spielberg had to suffer through most of shooting with Bruce, Lucas just kept on telling himself that these desert scenes would be over soon, and they could then head back over to LA and shoot the indoor stuff on a nice, air-conditioned soundstage where problems could be fixed in an instant.

"Mister Lucas...?" called a voice.

George Lucas spun around. "Yeah?"

"Uh, the rain's stopping. We were wondering if we should start getting ready to film now or--"

Lucas looked back out the window, and saw the blazing African sun emerging from the thick cover of gray clouds. "Yes! Go! We need to get more shots before monsoon season starts again!"

The other man ran out of the room, and George Lucas smiled. Things were looking up for sure.

Last edited:
  1. I actually like the idea of turning the attractive redhead in Pirates of the Carribean from a victim into a bold female pirate. It just needs to be better written.
  2. I’m looking forward to Disney being introduced to a young Tim Burton. A Haunted Mansion movie would definitely fit Burton’s style.

1. I actually like the idea of turning the attractive redhead in Pirates of the Carribean from a victim into a bold female pirate. It just needs to be better written.
  2. I’m looking forward to Disney being introduced to a young Tim Burton. A Haunted Mansion movie would definitely fit Burton’s style.

I just think that the Auction scene is too iconic to be changed. When anyone thinks of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, that is what they first think of.

And hopefully, Walt will convince Tim Burton to make his movies less overwhelmingly and needlessly DARK.

Welcome to the TL, by the way.

You're still planning on keeping it basically OTL until RoTJ as you said earlier in thread or has that plan been changed?

Yeah. There are going to be a few minor design choices different in The Empire Strikes Back, but nothing major, and the script will be identical. TTL's Return of the Jedi is where bigger changes kick in.

I just think that the Auction scene is too iconic to be changed. When anyone thinks of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, that is what they first think of.

And hopefully, Walt will convince Tim Burton to make his movies less overwhelmingly and needlessly DARK.

Welcome to the TL, by the way.

Then don't alter the original scene. The altered scene could be used in one of the future Disney theme parks. Or the change could simply to have it be clear that it's the pirates divying up treasure instead of being an example of family-friendly human trafficking.

Having a distinctive style is good, it's just that he ended up becoming complacent and his films become more style than substance. I still think that having him helm a Haunted Mansion movie would be great given how the attraction can go hand in hand with The Nightmare Before Christmas so well.

I'm always glad to see another good pop culture timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.