Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Snow Queen's plot was interesting. My only doubt is I don't see Blunt solving to break Elsa's curse with a rather anti-climatic move (being knock by a frying pan - which besides I can take as a hint things in Tangled may be different if always there would be such movie). Is however interesting how Elsa is a mix between the Ice Queen and Kay from Andersen's tale and, instead to use "Gerda" for the second sister it went for the female version of "Kay". And well merging Hans and Kristoff in a single character but it makes sense.

I am not surprised of gamer!Walt. Not at all. Wonders now which game company will propose or receive an offer...

So Robin Hood would be likely more dark, I can see the worries of Roy as not being properly Disney mainstream, but SQ proved that the Company can take more dark notes.

For last; I see Lucas struggling in selling his company especially when SW will go as expected...

With The Snow Queen, I tried to make it more accurate to the actual story than OTL's Frozen. That being said, the original fairytale is a bit of an oddball when it comes to its genre, and it wouldn't translate to film too well. And yes, a bit of Tangled snuck in there too with the frying pan, but the movie needed some comedy and a surprising weapon. The reason that the "big climactic moment" of the film is punctured by something as ridiculous as a frying pan is that that moment isn't the actual "big climactic moment" the audience expects it to be. That comes later, with Elsa's redemption by saving her sister.

The world of gaming is definitely going to be better off ITTL, that's for sure.

Hood is the beginning of Disney's attempt to shed it's kiddie persona. But you'll just have to wait and see if it works or not...

Oh yeah, Lucas is definitely going to put up a fight, but he is tied by contract to Disney for another four films after Star Wars, so they'll probably get to him eventually. Lucas ITTL also won't be as wealthy as he is IOTL, because Walt isn't stupid like Fox and won't be giving him almost all of the profits from Star Wars toys. They'll split it.

The first rule of Laughin' Place, do not compare to other Disney TL's....

It's like you've read my mind.

But seriously though, I'm fine with some comparisons, but I've gotten quite a few messages that my TL is too similar to American Magic, enough to be sick of them. Just wait until the 1980s, and this and AM won't be recognizeable.

But seriously though, I'm fine with some comparisons, but I've gotten quite a few messages that my TL is too similar to American Magic, enough to be sick of them. Just wait until the 1980s, and this and AM won't be recognizable.
Which ain't long away....

This has quickly became one of my fave tl's on the site. And while i do love AM, its unfair to compare them beacuse they're very different (AM, while very good, often does things that require leaps of logic, which doesn't make it bad, this is just a mroe realistic take). Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
I had this wild, wacky idea:

Have TTL's Kingdom Hearts equivalent be Final Fantasy meets Looney Toons, DC Superheroes, and (assuming the buyout still happened in TTL) Hanna Barberra/*Cartoon Network Studios properties, and possibly the Amblin Entertainment joint Venture characters (I.E. The Tiny Toons and Aninaniacs).

Who wants to see Sora team up with Royal Operative Daffy and Court Wizard Porky Pig to find King Bugs, while thwarting the designs of Yosemite Sam, Wyle E. Coyote, Black Jack Chirac, Nasty Canasta, the Joker, Darkseid, and those Developers who want to turn Jellystone National Park into Souvenir Land?

I had this wild, wacky idea:

Have TTL's Kingdom Hearts equivalent be Final Fantasy meets Looney Toons, DC Superheroes, and (assuming the buyout still happened in TTL) Hanna Barberra/*Cartoon Network Studios properties, and possibly the Amblin Entertainment joint Venture characters (I.E. The Tiny Toons and Aninaniacs).

...Most of that stuff is going to face some major butterflying (butterflication?) before Sora even becomes a twinkle in the eye of Square. At this point, it's hard to call how things will go in the early 2000s, but (no offense) that is not one of the ways. Most likely, characters like Sora or Kairi will be worked into a mainline Final Fantasy game.

...Most of that stuff is going to face some major butterflying (butterflication?) before Sora even becomes a twinkle in the eye of Square. At this point, it's hard to call how things will go in the early 2000s, but (no offense) that is not one of the ways. Most likely, characters like Sora or Kairi will be worked into a mainline Final Fantasy game.

Even if Crisis on Infinte Earths is butterflyed away, most of the Justice League has already been established. The things there that would be most readily missed by a non comics fan would be Captain Carrot (and Peter Porkchops dates to the Forties), the Evil Businessman Lex Luthor, Post-Crisis sidekicks like the Tim Drake Robin, Con-el Superboy, Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, Stephanie Brown Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl, Bart Allen Impulse/Kid Flash, and Mia Deardon Speedy, and the Rainbow Lantern Corps conflicts.

The mainline Looney Toons roster has been mostly set in stone since the early '60s, with the only non-one-off characters added since then being Catherine Tabby and Lola Bunny, and the latter as a way around ownership disputes then going on involving Honey Bunny. While names and gimmcks involving the the Tiny Toons may vary somewhat, the mid-late Eighties were steam engine time for the concept. (You would have to butterfly away A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Muppet Babies, and Flintstone Kids, too.) The most likely butterflied characters would be Mary Melodie, Elmyra Duff, Furball as a normal, all fours cat, Gogo Dodo (based on a single short made in 1953), and L'il Sneezer.

The Animaniacs are more subject to butterflies, as there's no telling what Tex Avery will fill his secret sketchbook with, who he will will it to, or if he'll have it destroyed instead. The only regular characters not to originally come from it were Katie Kaboom and the Hip-Hoppoes, whose designs and mannerisms dated them utterly to the Nineties.

Last edited:
Major butterflies, is all I'm saying. Most of that stuff will alter in some (usually major) way due to hurricane-sized butterflies during the 1980s and 1990s.

Breaking Down the House
"First, it was the novel, allowing people to imagine new worlds and people. Then, it was the comic, giving its readers faces and scenes to the names and words. Next, it was the motion picture, letting its audience be absorbed into the reality onscreen. Video games are the next evolution in entertainment. They will soon allow us to step into the shoes of the protagonist and truly enter their worlds to make a difference."
--Walt Disney, from his famous May 1976 speech, "The Next Step"

--------------------------------
News Anchor: Tonight, at Disney's Magic Kingdom in Orlando, Florida, something big was unveiled. Touted for months as the "next step in entertainment," the Walt Disney Company's latest foray has been one into the new world of video games. We take you to Amy Fitzpatrick on the scene.

*Brief footage is shown of a large crowd in Tomorrowland, milling about a new building next to Space Port.*

Reporter: A few short hours ago, Walt Disney revealed just what his famed movie studio has been working on for the past year: a video game named
Breakdown.
Taking the concept of the massively-popular Pong and quite literally turning it on its head--

*Gameplay of Breakdown is shown. It's in blinding full color, with a white ball launching from a white platform into rainbow-colored blocks arranged in a Mickey Mouse head on the top of the screen. The gameplay is nearly identical to that of OTL's Breakout.*

Reporter: --the game has drawn in the quarters of young and old alike.

Teenaged Boy: It's like nothing I've ever seen! Way better than Pong!

Mother: Usually I don't "game," but this machine's just about the most fun I've had today. And I'm in Disney World!

Reporter: Roaming with the guests is Walt himself, uncharacteristically signing as many pieces of paper fans and park guests can get in his line of sight. He's challenged them to beat his high score, with a grand prize of four tickets to the EPCOT Center, set to open in July. The winner, a girl from California named Deborah Stone, pulled it off just a few minutes ago.

Stone: It took me a while. I'd been playing it since the instant the doors opened, Mom was yelling at me because I was wasting too many quarters, but, you know, I managed to do it! A lot of guys in there were pretty shocked a girl had done it, but I sure showed them!

Reporter: Breakdown is sure to have current industry leader Atari sweating bullets, as the company has as of late been coasting on their Pong sensation.

*Gameplay of Pong is shown side-by-side with that of Breakdown, the former appearing in archaic black and white and moving much, much slower.*

Reporter: Only time will tell if they can stay on top with a juggernaut like Disney snapping at their heels. For WFTV News, I'm Amy Fitzpatrick.

Anchor: And of course we've been told that starting tomorrow, the House of Mouse's newest innovation will be found nationwide in arcades anywhere. So go scrounge around for some change! It's sure to be a great experience.

Co-Anchor: Oh man, my kids are going to be dragging me across town to play this, aren't they?

--A WFTV news report from the evening of May 7, 1976

Breakdown is fondly remembered as one of Disney's defining moments ITTL, up there with Mickey Mouse, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and Disneyland. It's the company's first step into the ocean of video games, a sea that even Walt himself would have trouble in taming.

The game was programmed and designed solely by Rolly Crump and Tony Baxter, two of the younger Disney Imagineers. This is long before Disney actually set up their own game development studio, and mostly, Walt would just delegate people to projects that he felt would do the best with the medium. Crump would become their go-to guy to program during the early days, with the creative minds of Walt, George Lucas, Don Bluth, Tony Baxter, and others helping in designing the game itself.

Gameplay-wise, Breakdown plays identically to OTL's Breakout. The goal is to destroy all the blocks at the top of the screen, arranged and colored differently in each level. The first few levels are pretty easy, but the game speeds up swiftly to eat up quarters, and with only three lives, that goal is easily met. Breakdown is notoriously difficult, inciting the creation of the phrase of "Disney-hard," used by teenagers and young adults to describe any video game that is considered grueling. However, if a player is skillful enough, the game is a cakewalk, and it becomes a frequent sight in arcades to see a crowd watching someone proficient in the arts of Breakdown.

The new game provided a much-needed jolt to the system of companies like Atari and the arcade business as a whole. Their people scrambled in a frenzy to try and cope with Disney's entry onto the gaming battleground, as Pong Mania turned into the Breakdown Virus. By the year's end, it was common to see new, sleek Disney machines next to old Pong games wherever video games where found, be it a dedicated building or the back corner of a bar.

Last edited:
"First, it was the book, allowing people to imagine new worlds and people. Then, it was the comic, giving its readers faces and scenes to the names and words. Next, it was the motion picture, letting its audience be absorbed into the reality onscreen. Video games are the next evolution in entertainment. They will soon allow us to step into the shoes of the protagonist and truly enter their worlds and make a difference."
--Walt Disney, from his famous May 1976 speech, "The Next Step"

News Anchor: Tonight, at Disney's Magic Kingdom in Orlando, Florida, something big was unveiled. Touted for months as the "next step in entertainment," the Walt Disney Company's latest foray has been one into the new world of video games. We take you to Amy Fitzpatrick on the scene.

*Brief footage is shown of a large crowd in Tomorrowland is shown, milling about a new building next to Space Port.*

Reporter: A few short hours ago, Walt Disney revealed just what his famed movie studio has been working on for the past year: a video game named
Breakdown.
Taking the concept of the massively-popular Pong and quite literally turning it on its head--

*Gameplay of Breakdown is shown. It's in blinding full color, with a white ball launching from a white platform into rainbow-colored blocks arranged in a Mickey Mouse head on the top of the screen. The gameplay is nearly identical to that of OTL's Breakout.*

Reporter: --the game has drawn in the quarters of young and old alike.

Teenaged Boy: It's like nothing I've ever seen! Way better than Pong!

Mother: Usually I don't "game," but this machine's just about the most fun I've had today. And I'm in Disney World!

Reporter: Roaming with the guests is Walt himself, uncharacteristically signing as many pieces of paper fans and park guests can get in his line of sight. He's challenged them to beat his high score, with a grand prize of four tickets to the EPCOT Center, set to open in July. The winner, a girl from California named Deborah Stone, pulled it off just a few minutes ago.

Stone: It took me a while. I'd been playing it since the instant the doors opened, Mom was yelling at me because I was wasting too many quarters, but, you know, I managed to do it! A lot of guys in there were pretty shocked a girl had done it, but I sure showed them!

Reporter: Breakdown is sure to have current industry leader Atari sweating bullets, as the company has as of late been coasting on their Pong sensation.

*Gameplay of Pong is shown side-by-side with that of Breakdown, the former appearing in archaic black and white and moving much, much slower.*

Reporter: Only time will tell if they can stay on top with a juggernaut like Disney snapping at their heels. For WFTV News, I'm Amy Fitzpatrick.

Anchor: And of course we've been told that starting tomorrow, the House of Mouse's newest innovation will be found nationwide in arcades anywhere. So go scrounge around for some change! It's sure to be a great experience.

Co-Anchor: Oh man, my kids are going to be dragging me across town to play this, aren't they?

--A WFTV news report from the evening of May 7, 1976

Breakdown is fondly remembered as one of Disney's defining moments ITTL, up there with Mickey Mouse, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and Disneyland. It's the company's first step into the ocean of video games, a sea that even Walt himself would have trouble in taming.

The game was programmed and designed solely by Rolly Crump and Tony Baxter, two of the younger Disney Imagineers. This is long before Disney actually set up their own game development studio, and mostly, Walt would just delegate people to projects that he felt would do the best with the medium. Crump would become their go-to guy to program during the early days, with the creative minds of Walt, George Lucas, Don Bluth, Tony Baxter, and others helping in designing the game itself.

Gameplay-wise, Breakdown plays identically to OTL's Breakout. The goal is to destroy all the blocks at the top of the screen, arranged and colored differently in each level. The first few levels are pretty easy, but the game speeds up swiftly to eat up quarters, and with only three lives, that goal is easily met. Breakdown is notoriously difficult, inciting the creation of the phrase of "Disney-hard," used by teenagers and young adults to describe any video game that is considered grueling. However, if a player is skillful enough, the game is a cakewalk, and it becomes a frequent sight in arcades to see a crowd watching someone proficient in the arts of Breakdown.

The new game provided a much-needed jolt to the system of companies like Atari and the arcade business as a whole. Their people scrambled in a frenzy to try and cope with Disney's entry onto the gaming battleground, as Pong Mania turned into the Breakdown Virus. By the year's end, it was common to see new, sleek Disney machines next to old Pong games wherever video games where found, be it a dedicated building or the back corner of a bar.
If there's one thing I can conclude from this post, its one thing:

Bushnell. is. Pissed.

You bet he is.

Is Disney going to enter the console race or are they staying as a game dev? Because the phrase "the new console from Disney" sounds weird.

Their game development studio could either be called Kingswell/Hyperion Games after the locations of Disney's first two studios or simply WEDGames because they started making video games as an outgrowth of WED Enterprises.

Is Disney going to enter the console race or are they staying as a game dev? Because the phrase "the new console from Disney" sounds weird.

Their game development studio could either be called Kingswell/Hyperion Games after the locations of Disney's first two studios or simply WEDGames because they started making video games as an outgrowth of WED Enterprises.

I won't answer your first question, because that's the road to some major spoilers, but I will say that their game studio will be called Disney Studios Interactive, or DSI for short.

However, if/when they make some games that they don't want their name attached to, I could see something like Kingswell or Hyperion being the name of that studio, kind of like what they did with Touchstone Pictures IOTL.

I won't answer your first question, because that's the road to some major spoilers, but I will say that their game studio will be called Disney Studios Interactive, or DSI for short.

However, if/when they make some games that they don't want their name attached to, I could see something like Kingswell or Hyperion being the name of that studio, kind of like what they did with Touchstone Pictures IOTL.

So they'd eventually have two studios, DSI for more family-friendly stuff and Kingswell/Hyperion for more mature titles? That'd work.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this timeline has in store going forward.

So they'd eventually have two studios, DSI for more family-friendly stuff and Kingswell/Hyperion for more mature titles? That'd work.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this timeline has in store going forward.

Well, since Disney is trying to get rid of the whole "Kids Only!" vibe ITTL, by the time they're making video games something more mature will be expected of them. So the second studio (which would really be a shell studio, all the actual devs will be in at DSI) would release games that are really out there in their concepts, something extremely weird that would be more up, say, Suda 51's alley than Disney's.

Well, since Disney is trying to get rid of the whole "Kids Only!" vibe ITTL, by the time they're making video games something more mature will be expected of them. So the second studio (which would really be a shell studio, all the actual devs will be in at DSI) would release games that are really out there in their concepts, something extremely weird that would be more up, say, Suda 51's alley than Disney's.

If it's just a shell studio then it should be named Kingswell since Disney's studios there were his uncle's garage and a storefront, respectively.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else Disney will be developing. I wonder how the high standards of quality at Disney would affect the 1983 Video Game Crash. Having such a serious competitor could mean that the other game companies up the quality of their games in response.

One welcome side-effect of Disney living longer is that the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, or more officially the Copyright Term Extension Law, wouldn't exist in TTL. Or at least wouldn't be getting Disney support.

If it's just a shell studio then it should be named Kingswell since Disney's studios there were his uncle's garage and a storefront, respectively.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else Disney will be developing. I wonder how the high standards of quality at Disney would affect the 1983 Video Game Crash. Having such a serious competitor could mean that the other game companies up the quality of their games in response.

One welcome side-effect of Disney living longer is that the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, or more officially the Copyright Term Extension Law, wouldn't exist in TTL. Or at least wouldn't be getting Disney support.

While Disney's influence will make Atari step up their game a bit with the 2600 and quality control, come 1983 Disney still won't be too involved in the console market, so there will still be a bad time for Atari, if less destructive than the VG Crash of OTL.

And yes, the Copyright Term Extension Law won't be backed by Disney. But I do have a plan for different copyright law to be passed that's similar to it but different (in a good way) also.

While Disney's influence will make Atari step up their game a bit with the 2600 and quality control, come 1983 Disney still won't be too involved in the console market, so there will still be a bad time for Atari, if less destructive than the VG Crash of OTL.

And yes, the Copyright Term Extension Law won't be backed by Disney. But I do have a plan for different copyright law to be passed that's similar to it but different (in a good way) also.

Keep in mind that Atari isn't the only one in the video game industry. There's always Mattel and the Intellivision. Did you know that the Intellivision was supported for six years despite Mattel having cut all ties in the aftermath of the Crash? With a less devastating Crash, Mattel is clearly going to stay in the video game industry.

If this law doesn't come at the expense of the public domain it'd already be better than the OTL law.

Keep in mind that Atari isn't the only one in the video game industry. There's always Mattel and the Intellivision. Did you know that the Intellivision was supported for six years despite Mattel having cut all ties in the aftermath of the Crash? With a less devastating Crash, Mattel is clearly going to stay in the video game industry.

If this law doesn't come at the expense of the public domain it'd already be better than the OTL law.

Mattel will stay, but they're going to suffer terribly against what Disney's got coming...

The law's a bit convoluted, but the gist of it is that properties that are currently "in use" by companies (I.E. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny) stay out of the public domain, but things that haven't shown up in a certain amount of time are entered into it. Cameos and merchandising don't renew the time frame either, only full-on sequels, remakes, or spin-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.