Status
Not open for further replies.
So does the Star Wars cartoon have just instrumental music? Do the characters ever sing?

Probably only in some experimental musical episode set sometime after Return of the Jedi that can be dismissed as either a dream, hallucination, or something induced by some Force Based Artifact.

They are consciously avoided anything redolent of the Holiday Special.

Probably only in some experimental musical episode set sometime after Return of the Jedi that can be dismissed as either a dream, hallucination, or something induced by some Force Based Artifact.

They are consciously avoided anything redolent of the Holiday Special.
OK. What are the designs for the cast like? Are they Disney-fied versions of their live-action forms?

Honestly, Disney would go for Queen (who recorded the music for Star Wars: The Animated Series) over the Beatles to do that.
Is Queen still signed to Elektra? Because that would complicate things (Elektra at the time was owned by Warner Communications, who owns Looney Tunes); unless WMG lets Disney own the rights to the Neon Mickey theme.

I have a suggestion for how the theme should go.
The theme should be played on a Piano, Guitar, Bass, and Drums and be in a similar key to Hammer to Fall; theme should start with a drum roll that leads into the bass, piano, and guitar's opening three notes. After the first three notes, the drum plays along with the rest of the instruments.

Disney's Lazarus: Get A Horse!
The Strange Tale of Get A Horse!

The story behind the 1980 Disney animated feature The Secret of NIMH is certainly an interesting tale. But nothing is more intriguing than the history behind its accompanying cartoon, the Mickey Mouse short Get A Horse!

The roots of Get A Horse! can be easily traced, found in the 1978 Disney classic Mickey Mousecapade and its Steamboat Willie remake. Don Bluth's animation team had been entrusted the task of creating a new Mickey Mouse movie for the rodent's golden anniversary, no easy matter with Walt Disney breathing down their necks. The film went through many, many, many revisions, with new ideas being thrown in and out left and right. One entertaining but ultimately unimportant segment that was thrown out while storyboarding was some farm hijinx, where Mickey and his horse, Tanglefoot, got into all sorts of funny situations. Scrapped for time, the segment found new life when Bluth decided he wanted another Mickey cartoon to come before Disney's next movie.

Drawing from inspirations such as Mickey's Polo Team (1936) and the ever-ubiquitous Floyd Gottfredson comic strips, Don Bluth successfully crafted the first new Mickey Mouse cartoon since 1953, and the mouse's first solo outing since Thru the Mirror in 1936. None of his pals showed up, not Minnie, not Donald, nor Goofy or Pluto. Mickey and Tanglefoot, his ornery, annoying, and dumb speckled equine companion, faced off against Pegleg Pete in a horse race of epic proportions, with cheating abound. When Walt was shown the near-completed cartoon, Bluth said that he "just laughed his ass off, and congratulated me on recapturing the spirit of Mickey."

Walt was so enthralled by Get A Horse! that he decided to have the cartoon run in front of all of his films out at the time, sans Mickey Mousecapade, which already had Steamboat Willie playing in advance. Running a Disney cartoon before Raiders of the Lost Ark seemed a little tone-deaf, but proved not to be, in the long run. Together, the two Mickey cartoons and the animated film unleashed upon the world a new era of Mickey-mania unseen since the '30s. Mickey merchandising, despite its seemingly unending flow, eventually ran out of stock nationwide. A Steamboat Willie-costumed Mickey Mouse doll became the hottest toy of the year, breaking all records and selling out by Thanksgiving. When Black Friday 1980 kicked in, more than a few injuries were sustained by bargain-hunting parents searching for the plushie. Box office revenues for Mickey Mousecapade received a second wind, as America and the world's children flooded movie theaters to see Disney's icon on the big screen--again.

Get A Horse!'s success cemented the revival of the squash-and-stretch classic methods of cartooning as the only way to go about children's animation in the decade. While Universal was knee-deep in adapting Thumbelina, other film studios began looking in their grab bags of old cartoons to revive interest in. MGM, on the verge of splitting in half, threw themselves headfirst into resurrecting Tom and Jerry. Paramount's Famous Studios summoned Casper the Friendly Ghost back from beyond the grave. And Warner Brothers began to seriously consider buckling down and returning Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and the Looney Toons gang back to the limelight. But none could or would ever compare to Walt Disney's greatest creation, Mister Cartoon himself, Mickey Mouse.

Amazing work buddy, loved the short, reviving a nice tradition.
Running a Disney cartoon before Raiders of the Lost Ark seemed a little tone-deaf
Ironically that make sense in context, Indy was a throwback to 50's movies, so that fit like a glove

Love the new update, can't wait until the TL comes back on regularly again. I can just imagine Mickey-mania now, all the tv reports and the screaming parents on Black Friday.

Well, this is one interesting TL. Having watched Defunctland and finding myself interested in the politics and inner workings of Disney, this certainly fills my appetite for them. Consider me a fan who can't wait for more updates after the hiatus.

giphy.gif

Get A Horse!'s success cemented the revival of the squash-and-stretch classic methods of cartooning as the only way to go about children's animation in the decade. While Universal was knee-deep in adapting Thumbelina, other film studios began looking in their grab bags of old cartoons to revive interest in. MGM, on the verge of splitting in half, threw themselves headfirst into resurrecting Tom and Jerry. Paramount's Famous Studios summoned Casper the Friendly Ghost back from beyond the grave. And Warner Brothers began to seriously consider buckling down and returning Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and the Looney Tunes gang back to the limelight. But none could or would ever compare to Walt Disney's greatest creation, Mister Cartoon himself, Mickey Mouse.

I have two things to say about this...

1: What does Casper's fate with Paramount mean for Harvey Comics?

2: Could we see an equivalent to House of Mouse sooner than the early-2000's?

Taking A Byte Out Of Apple
April 29, 1980

Steve Jobs tossed his copy of the latest Popular Electronics mag across the Apple headquarters' shiny new wooden meeting table. "Have you heard about the new Disney flick Hollywood's all up in arms about?"

Steve Wozniak, still focused on his whiteboard, replied, "TRON? 'Course I have. That movie's really going to show off what the computer is capable of."

"Maybe we could partner with Disney or something. You know, make a special edition Apple II with TRON imagery on the side or something," suggested Jobs.

"Not a bad idea, Steve," remarked the Woz. "Gotta convince Disney first, though."

"Yeah, it was just a thought. Hey, Woz, have you been thinking about the successor to the Apple II operating system yet? I know it's only been out two years, but..." Jobs took a swig of his coffee and reclined in his seat. "...I mean, it's never to early to start planning ahead, right?"

"Steve, Apple DOS has three years at least left on it to run. It's definitely too early to start planning," sighed Steve Wozniak from where he stood at the company whiteboard. "And don't even get me started on the OS for the Apple III. That baby was completed a week ago. And the damn microcomputer isn't even on the shelves yet."

"True, true, but I can't say I've enjoyed the work Shepardson Microsystems has been doing. Apple DOS is certainly easy to use, but there's so much more we can do with the computers. And the Apple II family is the perfect place to test it. Seriously, we can just slap the new code on the fucking Apple II Plus or whatever and test the waters."

"If you're so dead set on a new OS, why don't you just let me write it?" the Woz demanded.

"...Because I already hired the new guys I wanted to work on it."

"Steve--"

"Hey, hey, hold up, hear me out. IBM was courting these two guys, they've got a small startup company up in Washington State, they were fiddling around with some variations of Unix but said they wanted to branch out into DOS. I took a chance and gave them a contract before our biggest rival could."

"Are you going to tell me their names, at least?" asked Wozniak.

"Why would I do that when they're here right now?" replied Jobs.

In through the doors walked two young men, one with a particularly bushy beard, the other a large pair of square glasses. "We were waiting outside for an hour-and-a-half for that?" exclaimed the latter.

"It's all about making an entrance, Bill," said Jobs. "Half of this business is knowing how to show off your product. No one cares how powerful a computer is, but if you've got good presentation and a killer ad campaign... anyways, Steve Wozniak, meet our newest OS authors: Bill Gates and Paul Allen of Microsoft."

"I'm really excited to be working with you, Mister Wozniak," gushed Bill, vigorously shaking the Woz's hand.

"Yeah, sure," he returned. Wozniak walked over to the door, pissed at Jobs' sheer audacity in hiring these two without even telling him. "Bit of advice for you both," he continued. "Don't fuck this up."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.