Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, and this is only guessing from previous chapters, but I’m assuming that Disney is ironically going to being buying Fox decades early, so in that case it’d be very interesting if we could get a Disney version of Don Bluth’s Anastasia.

Even if Phantom Manor itself doesn't exist the basic concept of a more serious haunted house still has merit. Not to mention having another fresh take on the concept of the haunted mansion. Disneytropolis's Haunted Mansion established the precedent of future haunted attractions not being carbon copies of the attractions in America.
Agreed. One of my favorite part’s of Phantom Manor, other than John Debney’s soundtrack, is the story and the fact it focuses on the Bride. At the very least I hope a alternate ITTL Phantom Manor maybe keeps that, even if its somewhat changed to adapt to the new timeline.

By the way, and this is only guessing from previous chapters, but I’m assuming that Disney is ironically going to being buying Fox decades early, so in that case it’d be very interesting if we could get a Disney version of Don Bluth’s Anastasia.
Not offense..but that movie was not good, the plotline was a mess and that was before i was a history buff...Don Bluth should have done something better.

Walt Disney surviving longer means that Touchstone ultimately doesn't need to exist because they don't need to segregate more mature offerings to keep their squeaky-clean image.

Here's hoping Iger never sets foot in the House of Mouse if he's doing do much damage to the Disney brand.
You'd be correct in that statement. Touchstone is butterflied (it's also another Eisner creation, so it would've been gone anyways).

Iger definitely won't be doing any such thing. I already have Disney's corporate leader over the years planned out for the future, and he is not included.

Even if Phantom Manor itself doesn't exist the basic concept of a more serious haunted house still has merit. Not to mention having another fresh take on the concept of the haunted mansion. Disneytropolis's Haunted Mansion established the precedent of future haunted attractions not being carbon copies of the attractions in America.

One benefit of Disney owning Star Wars from the get-go is there being no wholesale purge of the EU.
Oh, yeah, there definitely is. Though no Haunted Mansion made for Disney Parks will surpass TTL's Japanese Haunted Mansion, which, if I may quote myself, is based on "the mysterious Himuro Mansion, and has gone full-blown horrifying. Guests are constantly warned this ride isn't for children, and those six years of age and younger aren't even allowed in line. Those who brave the insides find the opening scene the most terrifying: a scene depicting the Strangling Ritual, a twisted Shinto ritual too horrible to describe." If you go any further than that, I think people might have to sign waivers.

Well, that doesn't mean Universal can't buy them instead here. Also, I had to look up the meaning of "autonomy", and it led me to imagine a world where Matt Groening looked towards Disney Channel to air The Simpsons, or even that Life in Hell adaptation.
That... won't be happening. The PTS will be getting The Simpsons instead. However, that doesn't discount a possible new series from Groening on TDS.

Disney will not be buying Fox ITTL, another big company will.

Oh, yeah, there definitely is. Though no Haunted Mansion made for Disney Parks will surpass TTL's Japanese Haunted Mansion, which, if I may quote myself, is based on "the mysterious Himuro Mansion, and has gone full-blown horrifying. Guests are constantly warned this ride isn't for children, and those six years of age and younger aren't even allowed in line. Those who brave the insides find the opening scene the most terrifying: a scene depicting the Strangling Ritual, a twisted Shinto ritual too horrible to describe." If you go any further than that, I think people might have to sign waivers.

At least OTL's Phantom Manor had the benefit of considerable black humor to go along with the horror. They did have Vincent Price do voiceover work, after all*. That sounds like it's practically ExtraTERRORestrial levels of horror there. A ride based on the OTL Fatal Frame games and it's at a Disney park. Unbelievable.

*That was one of the best ideas that they had with Phantom Manor. Maybe something similar could happen in this timeline?

That was one of the best ideas that they had with Phantom Manor. Maybe something similar could happen in this timeline?
The way that Disney will handle their international theme parks ITTL will slightly differ from OTL, and is based on how the Jungle Cruise at Hong Kong Disneyland handles language. At the non-US parks, there will be separate queues for different languages, allowing guests to fully experience the ride even if they don't understand the local language. So, for instance, the Haunted Mansion at EuroDisney might have three queues: one for Italian, one for English, and one for, say, French, each with different narrations that have the same basic plotline being told. So Vincent Prince's narration would work on the English version, but other people could voice the other languages.

As time goes on, Disneyland and Disney World may begin to offer rides with Spanish narration as well.

That... won't be happening. The PTS will be getting The Simpsons instead. However, that doesn't discount a possible new series from Groening on TDS.

So, does this mean that we could see Bart Simpson referencing Nickelodeon much more often? Or would Nick not even exist as Pinwheel, much less as its own thing?

Nickelodeon will still be Nickelodeon. The name change was made in April 1979, and TDS won't have changed enough in TV to alter that.

I'm looking forward to reading about the four unbuilt original Disney parks. I definitely like how Disney parks are a truly global phenomenon in this timeline.

I'm guessing that Disneyland Cairo happened because the Middle East, or at least Egypt, is stable in this timeline.

I'm looking forward to reading about the four unbuilt original Disney parks. I definitely like how Disney parks are a truly global phenomenon in this timeline.

I'm guessing that Disneyland Cairo happened because the Middle East, or at least Egypt, is stable in this timeline.
Oh, I should probably let you know that Disneyland Sydney will be getting a name change, and shall henceforth be called Port Disney!

(The other Disneyland parks not in California will likely get name changes to be more original, also. That map will be changed at some point.)

And it's not just four parks. There's huge amount of empty space yet to be filled at Disney World, Disneyland has that extra-large parking lot begging to transform into a park, Disneytropolis has the land used IOTL for DisneySea, and EuroDisney is literally surrounded by empty fields. So, a lot more than four. And then there are parks to be built by Disney's competitors, and parks on the level of OTL Six Flags/Busch Gardens/Hersheypark... If you couldn't tell, theme park design is one of my favorite things to do.

Oh, I should probably let you know that Disneyland Sydney will be getting a name change, and shall henceforth be called Port Disney!

(The other Disneyland parks not in California will likely get name changes to be more original, also. That map will be changed at some point.)

And it's not just four parks. There's huge amount of empty space yet to be filled at Disney World, Disneyland has that extra-large parking lot begging to transform into a park, Disneytropolis has the land used IOTL for DisneySea, and EuroDisney is literally surrounded by empty fields. So, a lot more than four. And then there are parks to be built by Disney's competitors, and parks on the level of OTL Six Flags/Busch Gardens/Hersheypark... If you couldn't tell, theme park design is one of my favorite things to do.

Is that roughly analogous to the planned Port Disney/DisneySea plans for Long Beach? I think a ghost ship themed attraction would go well with the nautical theme implied by the name.

A Hollywood-themed park like MGM/Hollywood Studios could work, not to mention a history-themed park like Disney's America.

I'm definitely looking forward to discussing any further Disney park ideas you've got.

Maybe one of Disney's competitors could help bankroll Horace Bullard's plans to revive Coney Island as their own theme park in New York City.

Maybe some of the little guy parks that went belly-up in our timeline survived better in this one.

Is that roughly analogous to the planned Port Disney/DisneySea plans for Long Beach? I think a ghost ship themed attraction would go well with the nautical theme implied by the name.

I'm definitely looking forward to discussing any further Disney park ideas you've got.
Mostly just the name, since Sydney is a port city and the park is right on the water.

How about I PM you, then?

Mostly just the name, since Sydney is a port city and the park is right on the water.

How about I PM you, then?

Sure, why not? I still think that a ghost ship is a good twist on the Haunted Mansion concept, especially since ghost ships have been a part of folklore for centuries.

You know what would be cool? If Walt actually added in a newspaper to Main Street in Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, to help guests learn more about the backstories of the various rides, lands, and attractions in each of the parks, written as though they are a actual newspaper. There's this concept I found over at Deviantart that basically shows what a Main Street Gazette could look like:

main_street_gazette_1_by_shadowdion_d489zxr-fullview.jpg

main_street_gazette_2_by_shadowdion_d49h10o-fullview.jpg

main_street_gazette_3_by_shadowdion_d4aa0nl-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_4_by_shadowdion_d4tmn7v-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_5_by_shadowdion_d4txq73-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_6_by_shadowdion_d534ldv-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_7_by_shadowdion_d53duhk-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_8_by_shadowdion_d5i16tc-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_9_by_shadowdion_d5in0vw-pre.jpg

main_street_gazette_10_by_shadowdion_d5in6t1-pre.jpg

I could totally see Walt adding something like this.

I've actually been planning to do something like that, to improve the atmosphere of the parks, as well as Cast Members dressed in theme-specific clothing that roam around and act as pedestrians from that specific land. So you might find people milling about Main Street dressed in Edwardian Era clothing, talking about Teddy Roosevelt's latest plans to bust some trusts, or cowboys in Frontierland who randomly walk out into the center of town for a duel, pistol to pistol.

Main Street IOTL already employs some of these tactics, namely their barbershop quartet, but not to this level.

The Fifty-First Academy Awards, 1979
The Fifty-First Academy Awards returned the ceremony to a sense of normalcy. There were no big upsets to speak of, certainly nothing as big as George Lucas' win of Best Director over Woody Allen the previous year. It was just a normal day at the Oscars.

Running in first place was The Deer Hunter with four trophies, and a variety of other films duking it out for the rest. Unsurprisingly, Mickey Mousecapade took home the award for Best Animated Feature, and its partner the Steamboat Willie remake made off with Best Animated Short Film. Steven Spielberg finally made his mark

Awards Won at the 51st Academy Awards
Best Picture:
The Deer Hunter
Best Director: Steven Spielberg, Jaws 2
Best Actor: John Voight, Coming Home
Best Actress: Jane Fonda, Coming Home
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Walken, The Deer Hunter
Best Supporting Actress: Maggie Smith, California Suite
Best Original Screenplay: Coming Home, Nancy Dowd
Best Screenplay Adapted from Other Material: Midnight Express, Oliver Stone and Billy Hayes/William Hoffer
Best Animated Feature: Mickey Mousecapade, Don Bluth
Best Animated Short Film: Steamboat Willie, Walt Disney and Don Bluth
Best Documentary Feature: Raoni, Jean-Pierre Dutilleux and Luiz Carlos Saldanha
Best Documentary Short Subject: The Flight of the Gossamer Condor, Jaqueline Phillips Shedd and Ben Shedd
Best Live Action Short Film: Teenage Father, Taylor Hackford
Best Original Score: Superman, John Williams
Best Adaptation Score: The Buddy Holly Story, Joe Renzetti
Best Original Song: "Heroes of El Dorado," Mickey Mousecapade, Robert Sherman and Richard Sherman
Best Sound: The Deer Hunter, Richard Portman, William McCaughey, Aaron Rochin and Darin Knight
Best Foreign Language Film: Get Out Your Handkerchiefs, France
Best Costume Design: The Wiz, Tony Walton
Best Art Direction: Heaven Can Wait, Paul Sylbert, Edwin O'Donovan and George Gaines
Best Cinematography: Days of Heaven, Néstor Almendros
Best Film Editing: The Deer Hunter, Peter Zinner

--------------------------------
Walt Disney Studios, Burbank, CA
April 11, 1979

Marc Davis set down his pencil and took a sip of his coffee. He'd been at his desk day and night since designing for EuroDisney had begun, and even as it was being built in Italy, reimagining was being done of the concept art put out by his fellow Imagineers.

Tony Baxter had been put in charge of designing most of this park, and Davis couldn't help but think it was shaping up nicely. But he also felt gyped. Passed over. He'd been at Disney since the 1930s, he was one of the animation department's remaining Nine Old Men, and had designed nearly every character in Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, and the Western River Expedition. And while he'd done more since then, been put to work on Phantom Manor at EuroDisney and Cascade Peak at Disneytropolis, he hungered for something more. Something bigger.

Two drawings sat on his desk. One of them showed a lighthouse, weathering a thunderstorm atop a rocky cliff, overlooking the churning seas below. The other depicted two sixteenth-century men wielding swords, a pirate and a Spaniard. Marc Davis looked between the two momentarily, before slipping the lighthouse drawing into a folder.

"Now's not the time for that. But... they said they wanted pirates? Well, I'll give them pirates."

Last edited:
"Now's not the time for that. But... they said they wanted pirates? Well, I'll give them pirates."
That will be nice, but the piracy in europe was far different the one in the Carribean.
Still nice update buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.