Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be very happy to see Temple of Doom wiped away. While I know Crystal Skull gets the most hate, I’ve always personally considered Temple of Doom to be the worst Indiana Jones films.
This strange...at least Crystal Skull feels like a mistep forward, Temple of Doom feels like a movie of a different franchise stapled the Indiana Jones names, ToD should have been an original idea

It’s not like Crystal Skull couldn’t be better with better effects and writing. Imagine the aliens being done with practical effects rather than CGI. Or they could always adapt the game with Atlantis instead.

Atari's going to get clobbered once Pac-Man Fever hits U.S. arcades. Space Invaders is no slouch, but it's easy to forget how much of a cultural phenomena it was. 1980 looks like it's going to be a good year for Disney, all things considered, even if some of their film projects don't pan out for whatever reason.

Can't say I'm terribly broken up about Temple of Doom getting butterflied. It's not bad, but any TL that gets rid of Short Round won't make me lose sleep over it. :p

You know that idea I had regarding a theme park owner purchasing and/or moving a purported haunted house only for it to be really haunted? Turns out that that's one of the many incarnations of the Haunted Mansion itself. I'm not kidding.

You know that idea I had regarding a theme park owner purchasing and/or moving a purported haunted house only for it to be really haunted? Turns out that that's one of the many incarnations of the Haunted Mansion itself. I'm not kidding.
Which one? It's not Disneyland's, Walt Disney World's, or Tokyo Disneyland's (they're all clones of each other, and their story is a retirement home for ghosts with some murderous subplots), Phantom Manor became haunted after a big earthquake on Melanie Ravenswood's wedding day, and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong isn't really haunted, persay, just inhabited by spirits (not really ghosts) set free by a bumbling, cartoony monkey.

Or am I missing something here?

Which one? It's not Disneyland's, Walt Disney World's, or Tokyo Disneyland's (they're all clones of each other, and their story is a retirement home for ghosts with some murderous subplots), Phantom Manor became haunted after a big earthquake on Melanie Ravenswood's wedding day, and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong isn't really haunted, persay, just inhabited by spirits (not really ghosts) set free by a bumbling, cartoony monkey.

Or am I missing something here?

Apparently, it was one of the ideas thrown around during the development of the original attraction. The guys were just throwing ideas at a wall to see what stuck. They even apparently thought about having Disney himself narrate it.

https://www.themeparktourist.com/fe...-disneylands-turbulent-haunted-mansion?page=1

Check out the Bloodmere Mansion section. That's basically my idea in a nutshell.

Apparently, it was one of the ideas thrown around during the development of the original attraction. The guys were just throwing ideas at a wall to see what stuck. They even apparently thought about having Disney himself narrate it.

https://www.themeparktourist.com/fe...-disneylands-turbulent-haunted-mansion?page=1

Check out the Bloodmere Mansion section. That's basically my idea in a nutshell.

Oh, that one! I forgot about that version. It's certainly a cool idea, but I can definitely understand why they threw it out. It's one thing to have people from the last century dead in the house, but it's a bit too creepy to allegedly have dead workers from Disneyland in there too...

My favorite scrapped part of the Haunted Mansion has to be Rolly Crump's Museum of the Weird. It got thrown out when the attraction shifted from a walk-through to a ride-through, which is a real shame. Some of those concept drawings for the area are just plain, well, weird.

Oh, that one! I forgot about that version. It's certainly a cool idea, but I can definitely understand why they threw it out. It's one thing to have people from the last century dead in the house, but it's a bit too creepy to allegedly have dead workers from Disneyland in there too...

My favorite scrapped part of the Haunted Mansion has to be Rolly Crump's Museum of the Weird. It got thrown out when the attraction shifted from a walk-through to a ride-through, which is a real shame. Some of those concept drawings for the area are just plain, well, weird.

I'll just take your word for both topics.

So, this means Pac Man as a part of the Disney Afternoon, rather than Supercade Saturday with Hanna-Barberra? Might Uncle Scrooge be searching for the $7,260,000 Silver Key in a two-part episode?
Pacman was ABC, supercade were donkey Kong, frogger and qbert

Considering that this idea would be used for either a less family-friendly haunted attraction, a slasher movie, or both and not a family-friendly haunted house like the Haunted Mansion I'd say the creepiness of having the ghosts of modern theme park employees alongside centuries-old evil spirits works perfectly.

Midway just lost there first to big hits. Will they surive long enough to find a hit. Perhaps komiaji will come to them to distubuite Frogger in the usa.

Good Times For All... Except Universal
Universal Studios Lot, Universal City, CA
May 16, 1979

Michael Eisner sank into a cushioned seat, and flipped through the script to Woody Woodpecker in his hand. It was good, certainly, just not quite on the level of Mickey Mousecapade. But it was an acceptable start to rebuilding Universal's animated division, one that would hopefully lead to a long, lustrous line of successes in the cartoon field.

Woody Woodpecker wasn't coming until November, though. That was a long way away. And even though Gary Goldman, John Pomeroy, and the other animators were doing some good work, it wasn't standing up to Don Bluth's Disney masterpieces, relying a little too much on cheap laughs. So, in the meantime, he'd have to focus on Alien, which was coming in... what, eleven days? Even though it was a horror movie, it was being billed as Universal's attempt to show up Star Wars. Hopefully that would get more people, even kids, in the theaters, even though it was being rated R by the MPAA.

"My son definitely won't be seeing it..." he muttered, remembering the first screening Universal execs had seen. Grown men had literally ran out of the theater in disgust and fear when that alien baby ripped out of someone's stomach. But hey, he couldn't be held responsible for parental decisions on the part of the audience. And what's a few complaint letters next to all those box office returns?

--------------------------------
Walt Disney's Office, Burbank, CA
May 18, 1979

Stan Lee sat fidgeting in the chair outside of Walt Disney's office. It had no back support, and felt about a million years old, ready to splinter under his weight and collapse to the floor. His briefcase, bursting with papers, lay by his side. Finally, after what felt like hours, the door opened.

"...and thanks, George. Raiders is gonna do gangbusters at the box office, I wouldn't worry about Alien."

George Lucas exited the room, casting a glance at Stan Lee. "Oh... didn't expect to see you here."

"Well... I can't say I did either."

"How are the Star Wars comics going? They in good hands? I haven't had very much time recently to keep up with them, what with Raiders and all," said the director.

"Yeah, they're going strong. Basically saved Marvel from an untimely end."

"So what are you doing here?"

"George, keep on moving. I've gotta meet with Stan now, you two can talk later. My flight back to Japan is in a few hours and won't wait for chitchat!" exclaimed Walt, sticking his head out the doorway. After Lucas reluctantly left, the older man turned to his guest. "Stan! Come in, come in!"

Two legends in their own right, neither sat down when they entered, preferring to stand. "You were quite cryptic in why you wanted to meet me, Stan," said Walt, leaning against the wall.

Stan Lee nodded. "I wanted to see if you were interested in Marvel, first. And judging by your desk..." Stan pointed to the pile of Marvel comic books nearby. "You've done your research."

"Yep. One of my younger animators overheard me talking about you coming in, and he graciously let me borrow his whole comic book collection. Most of that's Spider-Man and the X-Men and the Avengers, but there are a few issues Superman and the Flash, too."

"Anyways," said Stan. "Marvel is owned by the company Cadence Industries, who also owns DePatie-Freleng Enterprises, this one animation group here in Burbank. You should be familiar with them, I think they did the lightsaber effects for Star Wars."

"Yes, I do remember George talking about them," replied Walt.

"Well, we're currently thinking of creating some animated television shows based on our comic book characters, and the animation will be done through them. We just need a network to put them on. And I figured I should start asking around sooner rather than later, so, here I am."

The movie mogul furrowed his brow. "So, what you're saying is, something like Spider-Man and the Hulk on the Disney Channel?"

"Exactly that. I really admire you, Walt. You're so in control of your company and yourself that you can do whatever you want, whatever idea comes to mind. Me, I have to work through a mess of companies, negotiations, and assholes in suits yelling about 'Money! Money! Money!'"

Walt chuckled. "Oh, I didn't get here very easily. Not easily at all. Don't worry, your time will come."

Stan Lee grinned mischievously. "Hopefully. Anyways, what do you think of Marvel on the Disney Channel?"

"I think it's a marvelous idea, Stan. We could always use some more content, and the stuff of your caliber never disappoints. Hey, um, listen, I have to catch a plane to Tokyo, I'm sorry to cut this short but I need to go."

"I understand. Before you leave, though, can I have your word that if you do want to work with, you'll call as soon as possible?" pestered Stan.

"Of course!" said Walt. "This just may be the start of a great alliance. Like one of your team-up comics."

--------------------------------
Namco Headquarters, Minato, Tokyo, Japan
May 19, 1979

Walt Disney cracked his knuckles as the opening prompt, "We are the Galaxians/Mission: Destroy Aliens", flashed on the screen of the arcade cabinet. Galaxian, while not totally finished, had been assembled into a very early-stage (but working) prototype by the wizards here at Namco.

Unlike Atari/Taito's Space Invaders, Galaxian was in full-color. It moved more quickly, and the lack of any form of barrier separating the aliens from the ship increased the difficulty and made players fleet with their finger movements. There were no sound affects, nor music, at this point, just the base game.

"Ohhoho!" exclaimed Walt, as an alien made a kamikaze dive for his ship. In a stunning show of great reaction time for his age, the older man deftly avoided the beast and returned to blasting away at his foes.

After a few short minutes, Walt was drained of all his lives and broke out into laughter at the sight of the "GAME OVER" screen. "Mister Disney?" asked Masaya Nakamura, who had taken the time out of his day to come and give the American a tour. "Is something wrong? Why are you laughing?"

Tears brimming in his eyes, Walt turned with a big, childlike grin plastered onto his face towards the Japanese businessman. "I keep on saying this every time I play a new game, but I mean this seriously when I say it: this game, Galaxian? It's the best one ever made."

"So... do we have a deal?" questioned Nakamura. "Are you willing to ditribute this game for us in the United States?"

"Nakamura-san, I'll distribute your entire video game library in the United States. Of course we'll bring over Galaxian! And if you can keep this level of quality up, we'll bring over any other game you want us to after that!"

Namco Headquarters, Minato, Tokyo, Japan
May 19, 1979

Walt Disney cracked his knuckles as the opening prompt, "We are the Galaxians/Mission: Destroy Aliens", flashed on the screen of the arcade cabinet. Galaxian, while not totally finished, had been assembled into a very early-stage (but working) prototype by the wizards here at Namco.

Unlike Atari/Taito's Space Invaders, Galaxian was in full-color. It moved more quickly, and the lack of any form of barrier separating the aliens from the ship increased the difficulty and made players fleet with their finger movements. There were no sound affects, nor music, at this point, just the base game.

"Ohhoho!" exclaimed Walt, as an alien made a kamikaze dive for his ship. In a stunning show of great reaction time for his age, the older man deftly avoided the beast and returned to blasting away at his foes.

After a few short minutes, Walt was drained of all his lives and broke out into laughter at the sight of the "GAME OVER" screen. "Mister Disney?" asked Masaya Nakamura, who had taken the time out of his day to come and give the American a tour. "Is something wrong? Why are you laughing?"

Tears brimming in his eyes, Walt turned with a big, childlike grin plastered onto his face towards the Japanese businessman. "I keep on saying this every time I play a new game, but I mean this seriously when I say it: this game, Galaxian? It's the best one ever made."

"So... do we have a deal?" questioned Nakamura. "Are you willing to ditribute this game for us in the United States?"

"Nakamura-san, I'll distribute your entire video game library in the United States. Of course we'll bring over Galaxian! And if you can keep this level of quality up, we'll bring over any other game you want us to after that!"

Did somebody on this thread say Paccy and Mickey in the same building? Because I'll say it for him, her, or even them!

Status
Not open for further replies.